Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-158 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 158 Thursday, 6 June 1996 Today's Topics: (none) (none) Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: New Album Tracks Re: New Album Tracks (JH-B) Fran Re: New Album Tracks (JH-B) Joshua Fried Re: Joshua Fried Re: blahblahblahhhh. Re: Superfueled Freaksickle New songs Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Re: Butt-Knob Re: Butt-Knob (none) distance to concert, + Weird Al comparisons Re: No Subject (knob) + OAT Farewell Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Re: distance to concert, + Weird Al comparisons Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: No one gives a damn Re: distance to concert, + Weird Al comparisons No one gives a damn Re: blahblahblahhhh. My crazy distance Re: About this weird stuff... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 09:08:10 +0200 to: Just in case anyone knows - 1). Are TMBG going to tour the UK for the new album? 2). What kind of format is the much-vaunted "Superfueled Freaksickle" going to be? Miscellaneous T only had 2 albums-worth of B-sides to go on it, but now they've got up to four albums-worth (including the forthcoming one). Is it going to be a "Best Of The B-Sides" or will we be treated to a "more-expensive-but-worth-it-double-CD"??? Email: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Or: gsm_kth@pki-nbg.philips.de Location: Lucent Technologies Thurn-Und-Taxis-Str. 10 90411 Nuernberg Germany Tel: +911-526-4952 Home: Geuderstr. 7 90489 Nuernberg Germany ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:10:52 +0200 to: > Spider is a 1970's Japanese fighting creature alongside Godzilla (Giant > Reptile) against interplanetary aliens. I always reckoned Spider was a pastiche of Japanese "Godzilla" films too, although I'm not so sure about the aliens - "I promise not to kill you" has surely got to be an Arnie-quote. >I personaly beleive that few bands fit in the TMBG genre. The closest I can >think of is Bare Naked Ladies, (their first album, gordon only), and the >Wonder Stuff. >The Smiths are similar, if not musically, then because of the lyrics... Well, Sorry, no, The Stuffies (kneel in reverance) are nothing like TMBG, not in terms of style or content, and nope, sorry, wrong again, The Smiths (raise arms in supplication) are unique, so let's see what you would have won....... If you want the continuing story of the Stuffies, Miles has a new band called "Vent", and the others (excluding Martin "Fiddly" Bell) are now in a band called "We Know Where You Live". Re: Michael Jackson...... > The book also refers to a gang member who is killed in a stabbing > and then goes on to print this person's recounting of the incident > with no explanation as to how this can be possible. ....the gang member was probably brought back to life by the new embodiment of Christ himself....(ha disgusted/cynical ha) Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 08:14:23 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Leo Bicknell wrote: > > > B-Sides (plus collection, sndtrk songs): > > > > Ant > > James K. Polk > > Stormy Pinkness > > I'm Def > [and so on] > > Those aren't B-Sides, they are CD singles. Some definitions: > > Single - A particular song individually released. > Album - A collection of songs released together. > B-sides - Songs never released. > > released == available to be played on the radio. > > So, generally you release a single or two off an > album before the album to entice people, and then release > the whole album, which is why you'll see all of those > (I think all) singles also appear on one of the albums. > (the other songs on the single are just promo filler) > > So far the only They B-Sides is 'Misc T'. I suspect > this new B-Sides will have a lot of B-Sides from the album they > are currently recording. i was under the impression the b/w song was the b-side, going back the the 7" single days...when the a-side was the single and the b-side was that "other song on the other side". i thought the definitions went as follows: single - an individually radio-released song (tracked and charted) album - a collection of songs unreleased & released album track - song from an album that is only played in your cd-player & on certain radio stations (college/metal stations mostly), but was never officially released as a single (untracked and uncharted) sometimes gaining enough of a following that it is released as an official "single" outtake - songs from a studio session that never made it to an album, sometimes compiled for later use or used as a b-side demo - first official version of a song, recorded for the getting of a record deal, sometimes compiled for later use b-side - a song that is added to a single, a lot of artists use live tracks, outtakes (sometimes refered to as bonus tracks to make it seem like you NEED to spend your $ on it) and cover tracks (a remake of someone else's song). b-sides are not limited to these though... some less-creative artists and bands use other songs from the album as b-sides, so if you have the album...it's pointless to waste your $ on it. i'm not trying to be a butt-knob here but this is the way i understand it. if someone can improve on this list or correct me... go ahead. misc. t is an album of b-sides and outtakes... not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 08:04:56 -0500 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: New Album Tracks > Well, at the concert that I went to May 18th at U of C, we got to hear a >lot of the new songs. I have KITH soundtrack, so I already knew "Spiralling >Shape". I personally think that that song is awesome and I think (don't >quote me on this one) that it is still going strong (something like 28 days >in a row) on our station, Q101 in Chicago. I don't listen in the station >usually, but I have been just to hear it. Oh you lucky, lucky person....A friend of mine (hi CJ) tried to get tickets to this show and was told it 'was for U of C students only'. *sigh* And yes, last time I checked Spiralling Shape was still going strong. Course, that was late last week...I'll listen tonight and see if it's still on. -Jim Jim Doolittle doolittl@uiuc.edu http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl *---------------------------------------------------------------------- There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:12:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: New Album Tracks (JH-B) > Unforgotten - never heard it > They Got Lost Funny, (one that they actually intended as such), good music, needs a better keyboard solo in the middle. > Spiralling Shape Just great. I love this one. Check out how the keyboard part sounds like LSD by the Beatles > Certain - never heard it > Older I love this one too. No music yet, but it's really good. > Counterfeit Faker Pretty cool, but not really great. The country-like vibe is cool, and the accordion sounds like a harmonica or fiddle, I can't remember which. > S.E.X.X.Y. I think the lyrics are good, but I can't really hear. Not great music. I think this might be the one with a really sucky guitar solo. > Reprehensible This one rocks. Hope they keep Linnell's clarinet solo. This one has a great old school vibe. :) > XTC vs. Adam Ant Pretty rockin', but not too great overall. > On The Drag Um... fast. > How Can I Sing Like A Girl? > (aka Hi-C SNAG...:) Really quite good, but I have a feeling it's going to change quite a bit before it gets to the album, ie it's the dial-a-song version. > Rat Patrol Again, really good, but it needs more lyrics. I liked Linnell's Axel Rose imitation (I think that's who it was anyway). > Pearl* > I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice* - heard neither of the last two. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Fran Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:38:03 -0400 (EDT) Heya, If anyone knows Fran Koiner could you please tell her that I am looking for her. thanks! Matt -, ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: New Album Tracks (JH-B) Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 09:41:38 -0500 (CDT) > > XTC vs. Adam Ant > Pretty rockin', but not too great overall. Really? I really loved it, myself.... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Joshua Fried Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:16:34 -0500 (CDT) The only Joshua Fried remix I've heard is the one off Misc. T..... What other mixes exist, and where can I get them? -CJ, who's hard at work now. Really _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Joshua Fried Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:43:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of CYBORG: >The only Joshua Fried remix I've heard is the one off Misc. T..... What other >mixes exist, and where can I get them? "Larger than Life" is a remix of "She's Actual Size" by Joshua Fried, and can be found on the "I Palindrome I" EP. It's great for blowing out your friends' speakers. :) Also, Joshua has been known to post updates on his work both here and on the newsgroup. I don't know if he actually reads them or not (if he does, he's probably the best one to answer your question :) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. Date: Wed, 05 Jun 96 10:10:00 P What an amazing conection!!! Yea, Brian wilson is probably one of my favorite songs by them!!! But they don't come near TMBG. Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~burnt to a crisp~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 02:16:14 -0400 From: John Lambert (by way of Michael Batchelder ) Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle >i'm not trying to be a butt-knob here but this is the way i understand >it. what exactly *is* a butt-knob? This sounds like something I should know... mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 14:28:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: New songs Older: amazing. As Mr Klaw pointed out, it should replace Happy Birthday XTC Vs Adam Ant: Solid. Reprehensible: falls into the "extra savoir faire" category, some people will not like it. I do, and love Linnell's clarinet solo Rat Patrol: i don't know what this song is about, I would like to hear a studio version. For now I cannot rate it all that high SEXXY: I like this one a lot On The Drag: fast and rock-like, not bad That's all I can think of but I'm sure there's something else, Mike ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Date: Wed, 05 Jun 96 12:55:00 P It's probably someone who has a knob on their butt. man, I must be a genious to figure taht one out! *LOL* Brenden - nednerB ~burnt to a crisp~ ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 15:55:39 -0400 Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT >i agree in part, but feel this must be said. >firstly, i can't STAND it that the comparison would even be made. i'm >not really even sure if i agree with the idea that tmbg are "silly >sounding." >they've tried numerous times in interviews to explain that just because >someone does something different doesn't mean it's weird or silly. it's >just not like everyone else. of course, there are exceptions. for >example, shoehorn with teeth is humorous, but few of their songs are like >shoehorn. yes, weird al is funny, but he's not a SERIOUS (by which i do >not mean the opposite of silly) songwriter. Coincidentally (or maybe not) I had a long long long debate with one of my friends today about whether Frank Zappa was a "serious" musician. His basic argument was that nobody who played "Dancin' Fool" could be a serious musician. I don't know, whenever I think of Weird Al, I think of Frank Zappa. They seem to be very similar (although, I'll admit Zappa did write some songs that intentionally weren't at all funny). Both of them wrote extremely funny songs, but they do them WELL. The instrumentation is good and the words convey the message (simple as it may be). Music doesn't have to be comlex to be serious, it just has to do it's job well, and IMHO, Weird Al and Frank Zappa both wrote songs that do their jobs well. I still like Them much more, though. - Dan -- Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway. >secondly, i have, in fact,heard weird al covered. a small band called >swivel cherry covered "my bologna" about a year ago. >with all the conviction of a tire-iron, >frank ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 16:34:12 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Michael Batchelder ) wrote: > what exactly *is* a butt-knob? > This sounds like something I should know... > > mike that, my friend, is indeed something you should know... butt-knob (buht'-nob)n. [1.] a jerk. [2.] someone who you wouldn't want to be around. [3.] a knob that has somehow become lodged in your butt. there you go. not just another john ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:19:09 -0400 True Story.....NOT! This is an urban legend. I've been hearing this story frequently lately, but it is most definitely not true. Proven untrue on alt.tasteless. Don't believe everything you hear. Don't believe me? Check out: http://www.urbanlegends.com/death/scuba_forest_fire.html The message that Filth posted is taken verbatim from this page. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ---------- : From: Filthy scarecrow : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) : Date: Tuesday, June 04, 1996 3:32 PM : : : : Hey TMBGers. I came across this and thought you might like it : --Mike : : ---------- Forwarded message ---------- : Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 12:19:35 -0800 : From: BONNIE LEE HOWARD : To: Multiple recipients of list CINEMA-L : Subject: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) : : I'll just pass this along without comment... : : : ---------------------------Original message---------------------------- : : True Story... : : Fire Authorities in California found a corpse in a burnt out : section of forest whilst assessing the damage done by a forest fire. The : deceased male was dressed in a full wet suit, complete with a dive : tank, flippers and face mask. A post mortem examination revealed : that the person died not from burns but from massive internal injuries. : Dental records provided a positive identification. Investigators : then set about determining how a fully clad diver ended up in the : middle of a forest fire. It was revealed that, on the day of the fire, the : person went for a diving trip off the coast - some 20 kilometers : away from the forest. : : The firefighters, seeking to control the fire as quickly as : possible called in a fleet of helicopters with very large buckets. The : buckets were dropped into the ocean for rapid filling, then flown to the : forest fire and emptied. You guessed it. One minute our diver was : making like Flipper in the Pacific, the next he was doing a : breaststroke in a fire bucket 300m in the air. Apparently, he : extinguished exactly 1.78m (5'10") of the fire. : ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 05:22:00 -0400 From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" (by way of Michael Batchelder ) Subject: Re: Butt-Knob >It's probably someone who has a knob on their butt. >man, I must be a genious to figure taht one out! Well, thats not a very reasonable definitions, is it? An asshole isn't someone who has a hole in their ass.. We *all* have holes in our asses (I hope...) An asshole is one who is similar to that hole that is in our asses.... So, on the same note, Shouldn't a butt-knob be one who is comparable to a knob you find on a butt? But in my original question, what is a butt-knob, I was really trying to figure out what a butt-knob is, and how many people have them... Last time I checked my butt was, in fact, knobless. I haven't been on the list long, is this knob something you acquire from being on the tmbg-list for a certain period of time? Maybe `getting the knob' is like being tenured: After 10 years with the university, the Professor was Knobbed... hmm, I'm not sure on this one. Can anyone clarify this for me? Mike ps. on a slightly different note, whats a fart-knocker? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 05:25:33 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Butt-Knob >that, my friend, is indeed something you should know... > >butt-knob (buht'-nob)n. [1.] a jerk. [2.] someone who you wouldn't want >to be around. [3.] a knob that has somehow become lodged in your butt. Sorry, I didn't read all my mail before I posted. So, what your saying is, a butt-knob in its...literal meaning, is a knob that is lodged in your (or someones) butt... and abstractly, its someone who is a jerk... much like asshole literally means a hole in ones ass, and it can abstractly mean a jerk.. I think I am getting it... Mike ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 05:32:02 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder I am more inclined to think that it would be a knob that *grows* or *appears* (like a zit) on ones butt, not a knob that gets lodged in ones butt... anyone? anyone? mike ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:00:29 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: distance to concert, + Weird Al comparisons Robert Grabill Jr. whispered lustfully into my ear: >How long would I reasonably want >to drive for a concert? I mean, taking into consideration gas money and >possible sleeping accomidations, how far would I want to go? I have gone 3 hours before, and that was fine. I didn't have to find sleeping accomodations, but we did end up driving home until like 1 or 2am. I figure that I would go as far as 4 hours in a pinch. And I speak sanely on this one, I swear it. -----=======myownpersonalmessagedivider=======----- As far as Weird Al is concerned, I thought I'd put my $.02 in. I was into him before I was into TMBG, but I find that I enjoy his parodies a lot more than his original stuff. I do find his originalities much too predictable and, well, boring. The parodies are great though...I'm always amazed at how good he is at mimicking other people's styles, and finding humorous lyrics to sing over them. I thought I had a comment on "seriousness" in both TMBG and Weird Al, but it strikes me that I haven't listened to much Al lately, so I can't talk. Well, while we're on the topic of Al, does anyone else think that the singer from Goldfinger (especially in their song, "Here In Your Bedroom") sounds *way* too much like Weird Al? It's like he has the exact same inflections in his voice. Maybe it's a regional accent thing. Okay, here's something on seriousness. THEY seem to want to make good music, and feel that being called "weird" is not what they're going for...but Al has intentionally placed "Weird" in front of his name for years. And it seems like Al always wants people to laugh with his music, while They get you to look inside yourself with deep, intricate lyrics. Al's musical style is very physical, while They are more metaphysical, I think. It's like placing intelligent humor next to slapstick comedy...a sitcom next to the Three Stooges. Am I on track here? I'm just pulling this stuff out of my a$$...feel free to disagree. Later, andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:09:30 -0400 Subject: Re: No Subject (knob) + OAT In a message dated 96-06-05 17:40:39 EDT, michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu (Michael Batchelder) writes: > >I am more inclined to think that it would be a knob that *grows* or >*appears* (like a zit) on ones butt, not a knob that gets lodged in ones >butt... > >anyone? anyone? > I just looked up knob in the dictionary... it says: 1. a projecting part, usually rounded, forming the handle of a door, drawer, or the like. 2. a rounded lump or protubence on the surface or at the end of something, as a knot on a tree trunk. 3. a rounded hill or mountain. ... does anybody need me to define butt? I don't know if this gives anybody any ideas, but it gives me some :) ... another fun def.: knobkerrie n. a short, heavy stick or club with a knob on one end, used by South African natives for striking and throwing. Is anybody here a Buttknobkerrie? they've also got "Knobby" and "Knob-like", but I won't get into that... Hier ist deine OAT... I probably won't be on the telnet thing today, too much, in case somebody's wondering a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 15:41:38 -0700 From: anakin@smartlink.net (Nick Hatton) Subject: Farewell my account is due, and I am leaving. Farewell one and all! Hopefully I will resurect in my dad's netcom account.If you we can get our stupid @#*&%#@ USR modem to work. (chant along "don't buy USR...") until then, Adieu I think that we've...you know? Have had this problem, where we, we try to do something interesting and new and it comes off... as weird, you know? But we're not about being weird, and once you're familiar with what we're doing it's not weird at all, you know? It's just... It's just something interesting and new. -John Linnell geek code ver 3.1 --begin geek code block-- go d- s+:+ a? c++++ w++ n++ o-- w+ m-- ps+ pe y++ t+++ 5-- x+++ r++ tv++ b++++ di+++ d++ g e* h! r% !x+ --end geek code block-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:46:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Just thought it was funny that's all. I never said it was true. I don't spend a lot of time reading alt.tasteless. Thanks. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:52:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:19:09 -0400 From: BlueDawg To: Filthy scarecrow Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) True Story.....NOT! This is an urban legend. I've been hearing this story frequently lately, but it is most definitely not true. Proven untrue on alt.tasteless. Don't believe everything you hear. Don't believe me? Check out: http://www.urbanlegends.com/death/scuba_forest_fire.html The message that Filth posted is taken verbatim from this page. Hey everyone I never said it was true. I just thought it was funny. And my name is Filth, after all... Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:54:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: distance to concert, + Weird Al comparisons On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Andrew W Puckett wrote: > Robert Grabill Jr. whispered lustfully into my ear: > > >How long would I reasonably want > >to drive for a concert? I mean, taking into consideration gas money and > >possible sleeping accomidations, how far would I want to go? > > I have gone 3 hours before, and that was fine. I didn't have to find > sleeping accomodations, but we did end up driving home until like 1 or 2am. > I figure that I would go as far as 4 hours in a pinch. And I speak sanely > on this one, I swear it. > Mr Klaw and I drove, what, 10-12 hours or so to get to E-town in april. Of course it was not just for the show but for the chance to meet some of you. Still...we did it. Mike ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:09:09 -0600 >> B-Sides (plus collection, sndtrk songs): >> >> Ant >> James K. Polk >> Stormy Pinkness >> I'm Def >[and so on] > > Those aren't B-Sides, they are CD singles. Some definitions: > >Single - A particular song individually released. >Album - A collection of songs released together. >B-sides - Songs never released. > > released == available to be played on the radio. > > So, generally you release a single or two off an >album before the album to entice people, and then release >the whole album, which is why you'll see all of those >(I think all) singles also appear on one of the albums. >(the other songs on the single are just promo filler) > > So far the only They B-Sides is 'Misc T'. I suspect >this new B-Sides will have a lot of B-Sides from the album they >are currently recording. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, which I often am... A b-Side is the song on th other (B) side of the tape that a single is released on...thus making all the misc t songs b-s and also making the whole list B-s. -Rabid Child ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to: Rabid_Child@tmbg.org * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 19:36:38 -0500 (CDT) mdukelan@wyoming.com writes: > > A b-Side is the song on th other (B) side of the tape that a single is > released on...thus making all the misc t songs b-s Except for "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal", and "Lady Is A Tramp", and "Birds Fly", which were new to "Misc. T". Also I would call "Don't Let's Start (single mix)" an A side. -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "The spiralling shape will make you go insane" - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 02:10:16 +0100 From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Re: No one gives a damn On 04 Jun 96, Robert Grabill Jr. said: >2. Calipygous: Having a well shaped buttocks. ^........^ Erm.... isn't this an archie-put-yer-leg-over in the South Pacific (Happy Talkin', Talkin', Happy Talk...... - It's good to talk....) where they grow big tortoises? ;) Joe ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: distance to concert, + Weird Al comparisons Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 20:28:52 -0500 (CDT) > I figure that I would go as far as 4 hours in a pinch. And I speak sanely > on this one, I swear it. sane? what's that? who's really sane? by what absolute norm do you equate your sanity by? and does this mean that others follow the same absolution that you do? do cows really have four legs? what's the difference between a duck? who knows? who will? what do you care? you're just laughing your ass off anyway? does your butt have a knob? do I want to know? no. > -----=======myownpersonalmessagedivider=======----- -----=======metoometoometoometoometoo=======------ > Okay, here's something on seriousness. THEY seem to want to make good > music, and feel that being called "weird" is not what they're going > for...but Al has intentionally placed "Weird" in front of his name for > years. And it seems like Al always wants people to laugh with his music, > while They get you to look inside yourself with deep, intricate lyrics. > Al's musical style is very physical, while They are more metaphysical, I > think. It's like placing intelligent humor next to slapstick comedy...a > sitcom next to the Three Stooges. Am I on track here? I'm just pulling > this stuff out of my a$$...feel free to disagree. I would have to agree, and add that your analogy travels as far as the fact that there's really no way to judge slapstick comedy to intelligent humor, because the two are indeed in seperate worlds.... Each should be taken individually. -CJ, with a little bit less than 2 sense.......... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: No one gives a damn Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 23:17:53 -0400 (EDT) Well it really does depend on how long ago your last concert was. My farther to date has been 3 1/2 hours to the Edison lab show. That was quite a long distance for a show, I think the farthest I've ever been to see a band. I thikn I'd go pretty damn far for TMBG though! (yah!-manly yell) Matt > > Anyway, This message goes out to the SANE people reading. With very few a TMBG > concert (to my knowledge) on the east side, I'm eager to get to a concert > somehow. Now this is where you must be sane. How long would I reasonably want > to drive for a concert? I mean, taking into consideration gas money and > possible sleeping accomidations, how far would I want to go? > > End of O' Rob the great's posting > > Hmm... I've been to Boston from Maine to a TMBG concert, which isn't very > far. About 3 hours of driving all together. The other two times I saw > them, it was like an hour drive, no biggy. > > Considering I'm not from the city, so an hours drive is something of some > substinance, I don't think I would drive anymore then about 5 hours for a > show... Now, of course, I have passed up a tmbg show or two a lot closer, > but if I was itchin' fer a live perform by john and john, Yes, I would go > maybe 5 hours out of my way. > > Mike > > -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 23:44:07 -0400 (EDT) It's Happy hour again! Ahh the Housemartins were cool. And of course the Beautiful south are good 0898 is good. I do like on Choke, Shoulda Kept My Eyes Shut, just brilliant. Very good stuff there. Anyone Squeeze fans? I've heard the 45's and Under singles collection and the Frank album which is great. Any other good ones? Matt > > simpatico@daccess.net writes: > > I *love* the Beautiful South! I never really made the connection > > between the two though until now. I recommend to everyone "Welcome to > > the Beautiful South", it has really beautiful instrumentation but > > really funny lyrics. > > funny? that album is one of the most depressing ones I own - though I > suppose if you take a lot of it at face value it's pretty funny. > "i love you, but you're so very, very boring.." > > try 0898 if you want a really great album. although the theme of > belittling women is kinda prevalent, most of their best songs are on > there, IMHO. also, it's much more consistent than any of their others.. > > a lot of Beautiful South could be considered "angst to a 50's beat", > as one of my close friends has put it. i love them (and their former > counterpart, the Housemartins) almost more than I love TMBG.. their > musical style totally betrays the message behind most of their songs, > though, which is just amazing at times.. Brianna Corrigan singing > about vomitting her guts up through her nose while watching her mother > being choked by her father, in a cute little voice, is just amazing.. > sigh. > > i was going to reply further to the weird al thread, but I think I'll > wait till there's a post in particular to reply to. > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 01:05:55 -0400 Subject: My crazy distance I drove 24 hours to get to the Celebrate Brooklyn show (and back) last summer. 12 hours Saturday. The show Sunday. 12 hours back on Monday. I think that was one of the more insane drives I've made for the sake of seeing any band. Oh, the devotion. It was most definitely worth it. And I even felt that way when I had to get up for work early that following Tuesday morning. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 00:02:42 -0700 From: Courtney Subject: Re: About this weird stuff... Ray Grabeel wrote: > So anyway, whether they like it or not, most people (even fans) are going > to find at least some of their work "weird" or even "silly". And that > brings me back to the original point made by Frankenberry: just because > someone does something different that doesn't mean it has to be weird or > silly. Right. But in TMBG's case, what they want to call "different" > often does come across as weird or silly. It's too bad they're annoyed > by this, and I hope it doesn't keep them from doing more wei... I mean, > different stuff. What is "weird" or "silly" to some people is deemed completely normal to others! So who can say what is normal?! We cannot say for sure. We are all aberrations!! Long live abnormality (or normality in some cases!)!! -Courtney -- Courtney L. Patubo http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo George Clooney on the Web http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo/clooney.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-158 ******************************