Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-159 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 159 Friday, 7 June 1996 Today's Topics: Several things... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-158 Undeliverable Message Buttknob - the movie Re: About this weird stuff... Reprehensible Re: About this weird stuff... Dead Out of Jail... Re: Buttknob - the movie How far would I drive to see TMBG?? They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg - At Last! Re: They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg - At Last! re: shpidah! B-sides Web Tower Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) stuff.........huh huh Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Buttknob - the movie (none) buttknob songs! RE: stuff.........huh huh Sigh... Buttknobs? Bye Re: Out of Jail... Re: Dead Re: Out of Jail... Address for Video Bootleg Buttknob - the movie Hmmm... buttknobs buttknobs abound! Concert tomorrow! Re: buttknobs abound! Re: Concert tomorrow! Re: Concert tomorrow! nothing Buttknobs - Definitive telnet + OATS TMBG Fli Re: Buttknobs - Definitive Zappa, Weird Al, and a little TMBG Re: buttknobs abound! Dissertation on the difference between tmbg and al If you don't like free stuff... Re: Dissertation on the difference between tmbg and al Buttknobs Cont'd... lots o' stuff... BANDS, U.F.O.'S, AND A QUOTE FROM X-FILES... THE SOUNDS OF GiANTS... Re: lots o' stuff... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 01:17:22 -0700 (PDT) From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: Several things... Hi folks, I haven't written to the list for quite awhile, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to address a few things. First of all, I'm excited to hear the news about the new songs/new material/new albums. Any idea when They plan to tour the West Coast again? I know They hate Oregon...or at least Linnell does . However, Leo, you were way off-base on the speculation surrounding the new B-sides album. I'm thinking where ran into trouble is in not realizing that _all_ of the material on Misc. T was _previously released_ on various CD/EP singles, like the "Don't Let's Start" single (We're The Replacements / When It Rains It Snows / The Famous Polka), the "Hotel Detective" single (For Science / Kiss Me SOG (alt. version) / The Biggest One / Mr. Klaw), etc. So I'll go back to the post by Joshua Hall-Bachner regarding the Freaksicle itself. > posted to (?) rec.music.tmbg: Okay! I went thru the discography and > culled out what I think is a complete list of Elektra-age B-sides. > If I left anything out, someone tell me, okay? > Ant > James K. Polk > Stormy Pinkness > I'm Def > Cabbagetown > Siftin' > Welcome To The Jungle > I Blame You > Moving To The Sun > Why Does The Sun Shine? > Jessica > Whirlpool > Ondine > She Was A Hotel Detective > Mrs. Train > SenSurround > 25 O'Clock > One More Parade > O Tannenbaum > Christmas Cards Quite a list. I think out of all of these you could certainly toss out "O Tannenbaum" and "Christmas Cards", because although they would be cool to finally have on CD, it was really a self-released item was it not? Elektra is only going to pull from what it has the rights to. Secondly, because Elektra released "One More Parade" on their own 40th Anniversary compilation that was supposed to include all exclusive tracks, I don't think they are likely to go back on that even though a number of years have passed. So that pairs things down to 17 tracks, which would be fine, except... > Remakes/Remixes: > "Larger Than Life" > Istanbul (Brownsville) > " (Park Slope) > " (Bedford/Stuyvesant) > Your Racist Friend (Sampla-Delic) > The Guitar (Outer Planet) > " " (Even further outer planet) > " " (UK Radio Edit) > Spy (single mix) > Snail Dust > Sleeping In The Flowers (radio edit) As far as I'm concerned they should just leave out all of these, which maybe be a good idea anyway. Where is the "Your Racist Friend" mix from? And are there any great differences between the radio edits and the originals, other than the songs being shorter? I haven't heard them. You did, however, miss... The Guitar (Williamburgh Mix) Which has a slightly extended part. Anyway, to conclude this obnoxiously long post, I have ONE more tape left of the "Power of Dial-A-Song" compilation that was put together 2 summers ago by a couple of dedicated members of this very list. Anyone interested in making a trade? I can make more copies of mine, if there are enough people interested, but I have one still sitting here ready to be mailed to some TMBG freak out there. See you all out there somewhere: Email: kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu Web site: http://www.teleport.com/~murmur (Quicktime music video server) IRC: Slvrfsh on channel #portland (EFNet) Telnet: Nyquildriver on Utopia Parkway, OzDrexsky everywhere else Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + // kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / murmur@teleport.com / kbiggs@efn.org // + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 09:18:06 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-158 > > Al's musical style is very physical, while They are more metaphysical, I > > think. It's like placing intelligent humor next to slapstick comedy...a > > sitcom next to the Three Stooges. Am I on track here? I'm just pulling > > this stuff out of my a$$...feel free to disagree. I'd say it's more Monty Python versus Jim Carrey. Both have their fans, but those with taste and discernment prefer Monty Python. Jim Carrey's kind of fun, but you get sick of him afetr a bit. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 4:55:03 EDT From: Subject: Undeliverable Message To: Cc: Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-158 Message not delivered to recipients below. Press F1 for help with VNM error codes. VNM3043: Jason Soltan@1292@ETS VNM3043 -- MAILBOX IS FULL. The message cannot be delivered because the recipient's mailbox contains the maximum number of messages, as set by the system administrator. The recipient must delete some messages before any other messages can be delivered. The default limit is 1000 messages. Administrators can set lower limits if required using the Change mailbox settings function available in the Manage User menu (MUSER). The 1000 message limit is the maximum allowed by the Mail program. If this limit is reached, the recipient must delete some of the messages before the mailbox can accept any more incoming messages. ---------------------- Original Message Follows ---------------------- The original message was larger than the viewing area. It cannot be displayed as is. Therefore, it has been stored in the file `mail.txt'. Please view this file in order to read the message. Thank you. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 07:44:09 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Buttknob - the movie ok, i'm willing (as the main user of this word) to add as many definitions as it takes to make this clear. butt-knob (buht'-nob)n. [1.] a jerk. [2.] someone who you wouldn't want to be around. [3.] a knob that has somehow become lodged in your butt, thus making you a very hard person to deal with. [4.] a pimple of the posterior region thus making you very irritable. to make this thread relative to them... i want to start a list of the top 5 songs to insert the word butt-knob in to. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. please fill in your top 5 and let me know... also any definitions will be considered ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:35:27 -0400 Subject: Re: About this weird stuff... >But in TMBG's case, what they want to call "different" >> often does come across as weird or silly. It's too bad they're annoyed >> by this, and I hope it doesn't keep them from doing more wei... I mean, >> different stuff. >What is "weird" or "silly" to some people is deemed completely normal to >others! >So who can say what is normal?! We cannot say for sure. We are all >aberrations!! >Long live abnormality (or normality in some cases!)! I agree on both counts. The Johns know perfectly well that anything "interesting and new," as Linnell described it, will be perceived by some as just weird, but I'm sure they also know that enough people "get it," and they really shouldn't let those who don't bother them. As for me, when I listened to my first TMBG album, I didn't think it was weird at all, just wonderfully refreshing. One of the silliest anti-TMBG comments I ever heard was that their work lacked "emotion." Anyone who could listen to "She's An Angel," "End of the Tour," "I Blame You," etc. and still say that doesn't have a clue! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:53:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Reprehensible Uh, first of all, the word doesn't look right, but whatever. For whoever said that they thought it was going to be like Extra Savoir Faire, I highly doubt that. Why? The music and lyrics are much better. Plus, it has the Linnell touch to it and is not as annoying as ESF. It has that old school charm, whereas ESF does not. I have actually managed to figure out the lyrics. So, here they are. Each night I lie awake, completely alone A voice is calling, and I tremble, for it's not my own... my own I can't ignore it, although I try The intrusive whisper fascinates me, here's why... here's why The secrets gather 'round as the voice recites The secret history of my immortal soul Indestructable, indefensable, reprehensible 10,000 years of unerasable acts And permanent facts The record of my * No record of my? You'll never no why? Unspeakable crimes And only they stain * If only they stain? The pages of history Indestructable, indefensable, reprehensible Night after night a voice recites my misdeeds And puts me to sleep, but tells me that I Won't remember a thing When morning comes at last I rub my eyes Remember nothing and thinking only of my friends... my friends * Dreams? The world is standing 'round and I'm on the top And nothing in the world can ever make me stop Indestructable, indefensable, reprehensible 10,000 years of unerasable acts And permanent facts And only I know Who's responsable Indefensable, reprehensible, me RS ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: About this weird stuff... Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:03:42 -0500 (CDT) > wonderfully refreshing. One of the silliest anti-TMBG comments I ever heard > was that their work lacked "emotion." Anyone who could listen to "She's An > Angel," "End of the Tour," "I Blame You," etc. and still say that doesn't > have a clue! People probably say this because of the split between the lyrics and the music. Heck, even Why must I be Sad has a really upbeat feel to it.... Some people would hear the happy sounding music and believe that the music is contradicting the lyrics, meaning that They were just joking about their lyrics... People are used to heavier-sounding bands conveying feeling like that, and the generally happiness of the music probably throws a lot of people off... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Dead Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:04:57 -0500 (CDT) If They came back as a bag of groceries accidentally taken off the shelf before Their expiration date, what exactly would be in the grocery bag? -CJ, wondering.... curious..... bored _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Out of Jail... Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:07:36 -0500 (CDT) Anyone have any ideas why TMBG picked "man" in the lyric "...tell who's the man in this cautionary tale"? It would make more sense to have "one" in there, because later in the song, it's Kitten who's the man in this cautionary tale, which is kinda unusual... _I'm_ thinking that maybe it's because they wanted to sort of surprise the listener in some strange way, so they led you up throughout the song not expecting kitten to be the one in their cautionary tale, when she really was... I need a life. -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Buttknob - the movie Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:08:42 -0500 (CDT) > 1. Shoehorn with Teeth (can you imagine how out of place that would be?) _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 09:44:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: How far would I drive to see TMBG?? Well, over spring break I went from Lincoln, Nebraska to NYC for one of their shows at the Mercury Lounge. That would be, um...well over 24 hours. OK, so we were already planning this trip to the east coast anyway, and we were just lucky enough to be able to plan in a trip to see TMBG as part of it. So we didn't really go just for that. Well actually, no, for me it probably was my main reason for going. :) And I'm seriously considering going 7 hours to St. Louis in August if they don't announce any tour dates closer to here. Kansas City would be about 4 hours, and Omaha would be excellent, as it's about 45 minutes from here, but I'm not holding my breath. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 09:05:25 MDT Subject: They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg - At Last! Greetings, I have finally, after about 6 months, gathered 120 minutes of TMBG video appearances, and put them together. Here's what's on it!. Russ Josephson They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg

They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg Vol. 1

05-28-96
Date     *  Time    Show            Songs                           Source
--------    -----   -------------   ----------------------------    -----------
04/??/96 *  00:56   120 Minutes     "There's Just 120 min" song     Russ Josephson

03/??/90 *  02:15   120 Minutes     Interview (Barbara Bush)        Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Where Your Eyes Don't Go [live] Matt Coon
         *  02:20                   Puppet Head (video)             Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Particle Man [live]             Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Interview                       Matt Coon
         *  03:15                   Birdhouse IYS (video)           Matt Coon

05/12/90 *  04:08   Letterman       Your Racist Friend [live]       Mike Rose

05/??/90 *  02:25   Muchmusic       Interview segments              Mike Rose

02/01/91 *  01:48   Tiny Toons #51  Introduction                    Bryan White
         *  02:30   TT Music TV     Istanbul [animated]             Bryan White
         *  02:15   TT Music TV     Particle Man [animated]         Bryan White

04/13/92 *  00:25   Muchmusic       Introduction                    Mike Rose
         *  01:50                   She's Actual Size [live]        Mike Rose
         *  03:40                   Interview (RPM appearance 4/14) Mike Rose
         *  02:15                   Mammal [live]                   Mike Rose
         *  03:32                   The Statue GMH (video)          Mike Rose

05/19/92 *  01:00   Letterman       Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         *  02:45                   I Palindrome I [live]           Mike Rose

07/05/92 *  00:30   Tonight         Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         *  04:20                   The Guitar [live w/Syd Straw, Branford Marcellus]
         *  02:45                   Interview:  pass the dude       Mike Rose
         *  03:35                   The Statue GMH [live]           Mike Rose

10/26/93 *  03:45   Conan O'Brien   Why Does the SS [live]          Mike Rose
         *  05:15                   Interview:  Shatner's mug       Mike Rose
         *  01:30                   show closing/thank you          Matt Coon

10/??/94 *  01:04   120 Minutes     John & John guest hosts         Bryan White
         *  00:30                   Introducing the band            Bryan White
         *  03:25                   Snail Shell [video]             Bryan White
         *  00:45                   The Cramps video intro          Bryan White
         *  00:30                   "Reverend Horton Heat" song     Bryan White
         *  03:25                   AKA Driver [live]               Bryan White
         *  00:30                   words after Lucious Jackson vid Bryan White
         *  00:35                   Frente video intro              Bryan White
         *  01:00                   "59 Minutes Left To Go" song    Bryan White
         *  00:30                   MC900' Jesus intro              Bryan White
         *  00:30                   Dambuilders video intro         Bryan White
         *  00:38                   words after Pale Saints video   Bryan White
         *  00:25                   Cranberries video intro         Bryan White
         *  00:41                   Jeff Buckley video intro        Bryan White
         *  02:30                   The End OT Tour [live/credits]  Bryan White

??/??/94 *  04:45   Good Morning    Dirt Bike [live]                Russ Josephson
         *  00:15                   Dirt Bike [live over credits]   Matt Coon

10/31/94 *  03:30   Conan O'Brien   Nyquil Driver [live]            Matt Coon

01/??/95 *  02:10   House of Blues  Istanbul [live]                 Ryan Staib
         *  00:28                   Interviews                      Ryan Staib
         *  02:07                   No One Knows My Plan [live]     Ryan Staib
         *  04:38                   The Guitar [live]               Ryan Staib

05/??/90 *  02:30                   Istanbul [video]                Mike Rose

Don't Let's Start [video]       Russ Josephson

03/??/93 *  01:30   120 Minutes     J&J host "New Wave Marathon"    Matt Coon
         *  04:10                   The Guitar (video)              Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   Hotel Detective (clip)          Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   Ana Ng (clip)                   Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   They'll Need A Crane (clip)     Matt Coon
         *  00:20                   "Then We Die" [song]            Matt Coon
         *  01:00                   Dial-a-song plug                Matt Coon

========================================
How To Order TMBG Video Bootleg Volumes:

Vol. 1 , containing 2 hours of material, is now ready.

Proposed price is $6.50 for US/Canada, $8 Mexico, $9 other countries.
That should cover my cost for tape, mailer, and postage.
This is for regular tape.  Ask me about "hi-grade" tapes or trades.

Vol. 2 will be released as soon as I collect 4 hours of material.

I don't think it's proper to get a profit from this project,
as it is a labor of love, and could not happen without the contributions
of many persons.

People who contribute material will get their copy free of charge.

I don't like the idea of people sending me blank tapes or postage.
It would be a waste of postage, as I can get the materials myself,
and maybe get a bulk discount.

9 oz. Postage (USA)             $2.16
9 oz. Postage (Canada)          $2.09
9 oz. Postage (Mexico)          $3.66
9 oz. Postage (All Others)      $4.60

============================================================================= Russ Josephson http://pages.prodigy.com/GLPJ70A Berthoud, Colorado, USA russj@btc.adaptec.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "Man is that he might have joy" -- The Book Of Mormon ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:30:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Daniel Solano Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg - At Last! Where did you find the page with the video? Daniel Solano ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 11:21:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: re: shpidah! Okay, I don't know enough about Godzilla to have an opinion about the Godzilla interpretation of Spider, but for those who like th4e Godzilla interp., here's some fuel for the theory... On the Stumpbox tape, They do a cover of Godzilla... which has a clip from Spider in the middle of it ("We love you"). I hadn't considered it as anything other than a random cool reference to another of Their songs until the discussion about Spider/Godzilla/Julius Caeser came up. =) Kylee """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ) ( \ ) | Kylee Dickey: 5'3" : I'm the LWFAP! | / ) ) ( | 00083933@bigred.unl.edu | ( ( ( ) | she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org | ______________________ """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ` '__ | "If you say drink coffee, I'll drink | \ TWIN PEAKS / \ | coffee." --Agent Cooper | \ SHERIFF'S DEPT / ] """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" l _l___/ \__ __/ I have too much blood in my caffeine system! /_________\ ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: B-sides Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 10:47:00 P I hope that they put everything on it. I don't think ther eouwl dbe a problem of fitting all those songs on the new CD, (superfueled feaksickle), I hop ethey don't leave som eof the songs out! That would bite Brenden - nednerB AKA - the Hypnotist of LAdies ~burnt to a crisp~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:58:30 +0200 (MET DST) Subject: Web Tower From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) Organization: Replay and Company UnLimited Hello everyone! I am the thing that goes *splat!* in the night, and I just bumped my nose on a really kewl site for everyone with a web page. It's called Web Tower and it's made by some hairy little doofus called Hexagon, but the idea rules (likt TMBG!) If anyone out there is drooling (about this, hopefully) then just ride your browser to the nearest location box and type in all of this cyrillic crap: http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon/tower/ Go now, you butt-knobs! ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 13:31:29 -0400 Subject: Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) > Just thought it was funny that's all. I never said it was true. >I don't spend a lot of time reading alt.tasteless. Thanks. Hey, don't diss alt.tasteless! They have some great jokes! Although, not for parents to hear. AOL doesn't let you go to the site, but I saw it at school, and I was on the ground laughing! Also, these jokes are a way to cheer people up--I have done it many a time to a depressed person, and by the end, they were having a lot of fun. If you haven't checked it to, do so--it rocks! tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:04:22 -0400 Subject: stuff.........huh huh Have any of you ever been to a Barenaked Ladies concert? Well, after seeing them last night, I want to go again!! It has almost as much energy as a TMBG show. They played for 2 hours, with 2 encores, and were great! The best part was during, "If I Had $1000000", where the crowd threw macaroni (me included) at BNL while they sing about eating more Kraft dinner. BNL should be coming your way soon, so if you get a chance, go see them! By the way, they DID play "Brian Wilson", and when they sang, ".....you can call me Pavlov's dog.....", I started to sing Dinner Bell. Not for long though, because I had to get right back into the concert! tucker ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 02:19:07 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) > Hey, don't diss alt.tasteless! They have some great jokes! Although, >not for parents to hear. AOL doesn't let you go to the site, but I saw it >at school, and I was on the ground laughing! Also, these jokes are a way to >cheer people up--I have done it many a time to a depressed person, and by the >end, they were having a lot of fun. If you haven't checked it to, do so--it >rocks! >tucker Here - Here my friends, I agree in the fullest way possible of a plebian buttknob like myself. By the way, if I *am* a buttknob, whose butt am I attached to? Maybe I am a homeless buttknob endlessly searching for that Mr./Mrs. Right so I might suckle onto their suck-ulant buttocks. Anyone out their care to house a lonely buttknob like myself? mike ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 02:24:14 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Buttknob - the movie >butt-knob (buht'-nob)n. [1.] a jerk. [2.] someone who you wouldn't want >to be around. [3.] a knob that has somehow become lodged in your butt, >thus making you a very hard person to deal with. [4.] a pimple of the >posterior region thus making you very irritable. >to make this thread relative to them... i want to start a list of the top >5 songs to insert the word butt-knob in to. 1. Hmmm.. Let me thank you for putting me back in my buttknob? 2. Women and ...buttknobs? and soon they number more... 3. Whats that buttknob doing here? 4. Buttknob!! He is 'R Hero!... Don't step on 5. Hey Mr. Buttknob, I thought you said we had a deal... I thought you said I'll scratch your back and you'll scratch my.....uhhh...yeah. >please fill in your top 5 and let me know... also any definitions will be >considered There yeah go. mike ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 02:26:48 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Buttknob Man, Buttknob Man, hit on the head with a bedpan mike ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:51:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: buttknob songs! Hey hey we're the buttknobs... No really, I'll do TMBG songs. This is a great word, thank you for introducing it into my vocabulary!! I can only use the word WEENIS so much. 1. Unsupervised, I hit my buttknob. (I think John's solo songs count too) 2. Why Does the Buttknob Shine? 3. Buttknob Face 4. The Buttknob Got Me High 5. Buttknob in Your Soul This is so fun!!!! *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: stuff.........huh huh Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 12:52:00 P I saw them once on TV. They were sittng up on stage, singing What a good boy. It was cool. Personally, I think they "look" like losers, but they are pretty darn cool when you here them talk and converse and stuff. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Sigh... Buttknobs? Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 15:08:12 18000 Yet even more Buttknob songs..... My favorties (in no particular order except for the last one) 1. Absolutely Bill's Buttknob 2. She's a Buttknob 3. Spiralling Buttknob 4. Buttknob vs. Adam Ant (redundant) 5. Mr. Buttknob 6. My Evil Buttknob 7. Stomp Buttknob (Ouch??) 8. Buttknob Aid 9. Lie Still, Little Buttknob 10. (And the funniest in my opinion) Put Your hand Inside the Buttknob Oh well, for some real content, when do you think the state songs will be released? I can't wait to hear Florida. I hope it's bad, really bad. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Bye Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 13:03:00 P Dear every onne in my adress book. whether you are one of the Many TMBG fans I know, a friend from school, or just somebody who mailed me in my survey. I would like to say, thanks for a great year, and I'm gone for the summer. Chow For Now -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ "You're free to come and goor talk like Kurtis Blow," TMBG "Is it just me, or is it hot in +here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." "and what do you burn aapart from whitch's? MORE WITCHS!!" montypython TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM-SIMON & GARFUNKLE-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ- BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 MONTY PYTHON-RANMA1/2-SNL-...Brensink@bhs3.bham.wednet.edu + - BRENDEN "the man with all the Chics, WILLIAM, "Who's got all the extra savior faire" RENSINK, "Who could be cooler" KNISNER "relooc eb dluoc ohW" MAILLIW, "eriaf roivas artxe eht lla tog s'ohW" NEDNERB, "scihC eht lla htiw nam eht" sorry, I just decided to put my entire sig. in there. Bye. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:54:28 -0400 Subject: Re: Out of Jail... In a message dated 96-06-06 09:11:57 EDT, kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) writes: > >Anyone have any ideas why TMBG picked "man" in the lyric "...tell who's the >man in this cautionary tale"? It would make more sense to have "one" in >there, >because later in the song, it's Kitten who's the man in this cautionary tale, >which is kinda unusual... I think it's kinda one of those "Who wears the pants" kinda things like "Who's gonna be the man" ... Um... I'm trying really hard not to sound sexi(e)st but it's not working... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:54:22 -0400 Subject: Re: Dead In a message dated 96-06-06 09:10:50 EDT, kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) writes: > >If They came back as a bag of groceries accidentally taken off the shelf >before Their expiration date, what exactly would be in the grocery bag? > > A human skull and a spiral notebook... a brand new Indian headdress a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 16:02:23 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: Re: Out of Jail... >Anyone have any ideas why TMBG picked "man" in the lyric "...tell who's the >man in this cautionary tale"? It would make more sense to have "one" in there, >because later in the song, it's Kitten who's the man in this cautionary tale, >which is kinda unusual... > I always figured he was saying it like "who wore the pants" in the relationship. He feels like he ended up in a subservient role in the relationship, but he can't betray Kitten by saying everything's her fault. ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 14:25:53 MDT Subject: Address for Video Bootleg They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg

They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg Vol. 1

05-30-96
Date     *  Time    Show            Songs                           Source
--------    -----   -------------   ----------------------------    -----------
04/??/96 *  00:56   120 Minutes     "There's Just 120 min" song     Russ Josephson

03/??/90 *  02:15   120 Minutes     Interview (Barbara Bush)        Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Where Your Eyes Don't Go [live] Matt Coon
         *  02:20                   Puppet Head (video)             Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Particle Man [live]             Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Interview                       Matt Coon
         *  03:15                   Birdhouse IYS (video)           Matt Coon

05/12/90 *  04:08   Letterman       Your Racist Friend [live]       Mike Rose

05/??/90 *  02:25   Muchmusic       Interview segments              Mike Rose

02/01/91 *  01:48   Tiny Toons #51  Introduction                    Bryan White
         *  02:30   TT Music TV     Istanbul [animated]             Bryan White
         *  02:15   TT Music TV     Particle Man [animated]         Bryan White

04/13/92 *  00:25   Muchmusic       Introduction                    Mike Rose
         *  01:50                   She's Actual Size [live]        Mike Rose
         *  03:40                   Interview (RPM appearance 4/14) Mike Rose
         *  02:15                   Mammal [live]                   Mike Rose
         *  03:32                   The Statue GMH (video)          Mike Rose

05/19/92 *  01:00   Letterman       Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         *  02:45                   I Palindrome I [live]           Mike Rose

07/05/92 *  00:30   Tonight         Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         *  04:20                   The Guitar [live w/Syd Straw, Branford Marcellus]
         *  02:45                   Interview:  pass the dude       Mike Rose
         *  03:35                   The Statue GMH [live]           Mike Rose

10/26/93 *  03:45   Conan O'Brien   Why Does the SS [live]          Mike Rose
         *  05:15                   Interview:  Shatner's mug       Mike Rose
         *  01:30                   show closing/thank you          Matt Coon

10/??/94 *  01:04   120 Minutes     John & John guest hosts         Bryan White
         *  00:30                   Introducing the band            Bryan White
         *  03:25                   Snail Shell [video]             Bryan White
         *  00:45                   The Cramps video intro          Bryan White
         *  00:30                   "Reverend Horton Heat" song     Bryan White
         *  03:25                   AKA Driver [live]               Bryan White
         *  00:30                   words after Lucious Jackson vid Bryan White
         *  00:35                   Frente video intro              Bryan White
         *  01:00                   "59 Minutes Left To Go" song    Bryan White
         *  00:30                   MC900' Jesus intro              Bryan White
         *  00:30                   Dambuilders video intro         Bryan White
         *  00:38                   words after Pale Saints video   Bryan White
         *  00:25                   Cranberries video intro         Bryan White
         *  00:41                   Jeff Buckley video intro        Bryan White
         *  02:30                   The End OT Tour [live/credits]  Bryan White

??/??/94 *  04:45   Good Morning    Dirt Bike [live]                Russ Josephson
         *  00:15                   Dirt Bike [live over credits]   Matt Coon

10/31/94 *  03:30   Conan O'Brien   Nyquil Driver [live]            Matt Coon

01/??/95 *  02:10   House of Blues  Istanbul [live]                 Ryan Staib
         *  00:28                   Interviews                      Ryan Staib
         *  02:07                   No One Knows My Plan [live]     Ryan Staib
         *  04:38                   The Guitar [live]               Ryan Staib

05/??/90 *  02:30                   Istanbul [video]                Mike Rose

Don't Let's Start [video]       Russ Josephson

03/??/93 *  01:30   120 Minutes     J&J host "New Wave Marathon"    Matt Coon
         *  04:10                   The Guitar (video)              Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   Hotel Detective (clip)          Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   Ana Ng (clip)                   Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   They'll Need A Crane (clip)     Matt Coon
         *  00:20                   "Then We Die" [song]            Matt Coon
         *  01:00                   Dial-a-song plug                Matt Coon

How To Order TMBG Video Bootleg Volumes:

Vol. 1 , containing 2 hours of material, is now ready.

I don't think it's proper to get a profit from this project,
as it is a labor of love, and could not happen without the contributions
of many persons.  In other words, my time is free.

Just send me $6.50 for US/Canada, $8 Mexico, $9 other countries.
That should cover my cost for tape, mailer, and postage.
This is for regular tape.  Add $2 for "hi-grade" tapes.

Mail to:

Russ Josephson
1217 N Aspen Dr.
Berthoud, CO  80513-1040

(I don't like the idea of people sending me blank tapes or postage.
I think that it's a waste of postage, as I can get the materials myself,
and maybe get a bulk discount.)
People who contribute new TMBG material will get their copy free of charge.
Contact me to ask about trades.

Vol. 2 will be released as soon as I collect 4 hours of material.

------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 17:10:55 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Buttknob - the movie i'm getting some great buttknob responses!!! keep them coming!!!! Buttknobs of the world unite! **sounds kinda kinky, eh?** not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 17:40:14 +0000 From: David Olson Organization: Channel 1 Subject: Hmmm... I've enjoyed this a little *TOO* much... 5) Destination ButtKnob 4) What bothers the ButtKnob 3) The Famous ButtKnob 2) Nothings gonna change my Buttknob 1) Someone keeps moving my ButtKnob teehee, harharhar, mwaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA; David -- ----\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /---- ---\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /--- -----/ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/------ * david_olson@wgbh.org * ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 18:22:22 -0400 Subject: buttknobs Just thught I'd join in...I hope these havent been said. Dig My Buttknob The Lady Is a Buttknob Whistling in the buttknob (uhhh) Istanbuttknob AKA Buttknob --Tim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:36:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: buttknobs abound! I can't resist this! I know I've already contributed, but these are making me laugh out loud. Reminds me of when I first started listening to TMBG, and me and my friend (MAry Ellen) were also obsessed with Wayne's World, we sang ALL of Flood, substituting the word SHWING! Okay, yes, we were a little off our rockers, to put it mildly, but we laughed our asses off. Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of SHWING around! Did anybody say Buttknob with Teeth? 1. Stand on Your Own Buttknob 2. Hypnotist of Buttknobs 3. Santa's Buttknob 4. Buttknobs Fly 5. Buttknob Highway Please forgive me if some have been repeated. My hyterical laughter has been causing me to black out and forget things. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Concert tomorrow! Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:36:18 -0400 (EDT) I will be at the Fairfax show tomorrow. I get one of the best presents I've had in a long time, a backstage pass and a chance to talk with J&J about the web sites and list. I've love to meet any list.people who are there. I'll be in a TMBG T-Shirt and no doubt be wearing my pass. There's a picture of me on my web page (http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/) if you want to see what I look like (although that picture is 3 years old). -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:54:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: buttknobs abound! Now this is silly. You never catch me making silly posts. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:58:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: Concert tomorrow! On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Leo Bicknell wrote: > > I will be at the Fairfax show tomorrow. I get one of > the best presents I've had in a long time, a backstage pass > and a chance to talk with J&J about the web sites and list. > > I've love to meet any list.people who are there. I'll > be in a TMBG T-Shirt and no doubt be wearing my pass. There's > a picture of me on my web page (http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/) > if you want to see what I look like (although that picture > is 3 years old). > Leo, you're killing me! Can you tell them that Alex and I went all the way from Toronto to Rochester and Elizabethtown to see them in the span of 2 months? Have a great time and I wish I was there. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:02:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: Concert tomorrow! PS Leo, if you can, find out why i haven't gotten any Info Club newsletters since fall 1994 even though I joined 4 years ago. Frustrated, Mike ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 19:25:13 -0400 Subject: nothing Well Mr. Bicknell, you tell John and John for me that my friend and I will gladly help them write any song they want in latin or greek! :) Yeah I can just see it now. Oh BTW, do you guys wanna write a song in latin? Uhhh GET OUT! :) --Tim I'll be there tomorrow!! ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Buttknobs - Definitive Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 19:25:11 18000 Argh! The Marines just tried to recruit me! ANyways, I decided to post the ULTIMATE buttknob list... with probably a few exceptions: They Might Be Buttknobs (The Pink Buttknob) 1. Everything Right is Buttknob Again 2. Put Your Hand Inside the Buttknob 3. Buttknob Three 4. Don't Let's Start 5. Hide away Buttknob Family 6. 32 Buttknobs (Wow! Actually sing-able) 7. Buttknob Hiway 8. Rabid Buttknob 9. Nothing's Gonna Change my Buttknobs 10. (She was A) Buttknob Detective 11. She's A Buttknob 12. Youth Culture Killed my Buttknob 13. Buttknob of Car 14. Absolutely Bill's Buttknob 15. Chess Piece Buttknob 16. I Hope That I Get Buttknobbed before I die 17. Alienation's For the Buttknob 18. The Buttknob 19. Buttknob Section Want Ad I'll Quit now so as to not ruin it for others too bad! :) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 18:31:46 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: telnet + OATS Actual message: Somebody please come to the telnet thing, or I'll have to IRC... OATS: list content: Buttknob... Unwarranted advert: visit the Representatives of the People of here Homepage at http://members.tripod.com/~ruprecht/ sig: a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG Fli Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 19:44:41 18000 This is for Leo Bicknell and for anyone else who is interested: Once again, I am reposting my They MIght Be Giants .FLI animation on an FTP site. I'm gonna put it on ftp.tmbg.com /incoming and hope it works...................... See you -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:56:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: Buttknobs - Definitive On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > Argh! The Marines just tried to recruit me! This is one of the scariest things I have ever heard. Then again, we are talking about buttknobs... Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 17:09:58 -0700 From: bartush@ix.netcom.com (MATTHEW W BARTUSH) Subject: Zappa, Weird Al, and a little TMBG This is multipart MIME message. --xwilkcgmglirhjcfyclmvkjgqnwnll Content-Type:text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; name="NCZ2A3B.TMP" --xwilkcgmglirhjcfyclmvkjgqnwnll Content-Type:text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; name="00000069.msg" From: bartush@ix.netcom.com(MATTHEW W BARTUSH) Subject: Zappa, Wierd Al, and a little TMBG To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org I just had to reply to this. Dan, Another NiQuil Driver on the Information Superhighway wrote: >Coincidentally (or maybe not) I had a long long long debate with one >of my friends today about whether Frank Zappa was a "serious" >musician. His basic argument was that nobody who played "Dancin' Fool" >could be a serious musician. Judging all of Zappa's work on the basis of "Dancin' Fool" would be about on par with judging TMBG by Birdhouse or Snail Shell or some other well-known song. >I don't know, whenever I think of Weird Al, I think of Frank Zappa. >They seem to be very similar I don't think he even compares to Wierd Al in the least. Weird Al, who is very musically proficient and I pioneer in his genre, seems to use humor for the sheer laughter or silliness of it. His special talent lies in his ability to mimick and parody other artists, as well as to write "silly" original songs. I have nothing but respect for Weird Al and his music. Zappa, as you pointed out, did not write only humorous music. He used humor in a very different way from Wierd Al. Zappa's humour tended to be more satirical and biting, at times very harsh. He tended to try to shock people into thinking, using humor and profanity in equal measures to try to make a social statement. His album "We're Only In It For The Money" was as much a satire of 60's hippy culture as "Joe's Garage" was of the PMRC-inspired mind-controlling attempts at censorship of the 80's. Weird Al's humor tends to want to be your friend, whereas Zappa's didn't seem to care whether it appealed to you or offended you, as long as it made you pay attention and maybe even think. In addition, Zappa's musical abilities (which are highly underrated) were often years ahead of his time. His guitar abilities, improvisational techniques, and use of electronically altering musical sounds are unique and influential. His "Lumpy Gravy", recorded in the late 60's or early 70's, reminds me of many of the experimental/noise bands who are considered esoteric today. For all long-time Zappa listeners, please forgive any mistakes or oversights. I'm only now beginning to appreciate the genius of this underrated musician. For the rest of you who don't care, thank you for indulging me. As for TMBG, I must agree with everyone else who thinks that they are in a class by themselves. I think that what all three of these musicians (alright, TMBG is more than one musician, but you know what I MEAN) have in common is that they are all serious about what they do, but they don't make the mistake of taking themselves too seriously. Sorry for the length, that's all for now!! Matt in Sacramento --xwilkcgmglirhjcfyclmvkjgqnwnll-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 09:55:43 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: buttknobs abound! At 06:54 PM 6/6/96 -0400, you wrote: > Now this is silly. You never catch me making silly posts. > > Mike Bah-humbug... your no fun :P mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 21:06:02 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Dissertation on the difference between tmbg and al I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > there isn't anything wrong with being silly, really. i think their > quirkiness is exactly what's attracted most of the people on this list > to them in the first place: good music, and unique. a friend of mine asked john linnell during an interview one time of he thought the word "quirky" described their music. he gave a very firm "no", almost as if he was getting tired of people calling it that. THEY don't want to be the "silly" guys. > i'm wondering what you mean by "SERIOUS", then. let me attempt to explain how i view this. yes, al is a songwriter, and a not so bad one. however, there are many factors that set him apart from others, causing me to view him as a "less serious" songwriter. the first of many, and i think this has been pointed out in the past, is the intent. al's intent is PURELY for entertainment. he wants to make people laugh, period. i do not believe that tmbg make music for purely entertaining reasons, and i KNOW they don't do it just to make people laugh. they do it to communicate a serious message, i.e. truth or reality as they see it and know it. i suspect that they also do it in an attempt to "create" something new. their songs are on a different intellectual level than al's. i don't mean this in an attempt to say that al isn't smart, but, honestly, part of the appeal of al is that you don't have to think about what he's saying or interpret what he's saying. he just says things that are funny. > it's odd, I'd expect most people who listen to TMBG to respect Weird > Al an awful lot more both for his originality and his brilliance in > parody. let me set this straight. i think a lot of what al does is funny. i respect him (though i wouldn't necessarily call what he does "brilliant"), and i like him. but i don't admire him the way i admire bands like tmbg, who can communicate the truths of their lives in new and meaningful ways that are still effective. it's like comparing a judy blume book to hemingway. both are entertaining and have value, one is simply more stimulating than another. however, you should never make assumptions of a group of people just because you or those you know are a certain way. i know people who love tmbg but can't stand al. don't expect those kinds of things. drinking his water, frank ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 23:12:21 -0400 Subject: If you don't like free stuff... then you can skip over this post, but otherwise... read on... don't get mad... Free WWW Servers: http://www.dragonfire.net/ - 10 megs of free space, unfortunately, it may not be available for a couple of weeks... http://www.inca.de/ - 2.5 megs of free space, however (I love that word!), you may need to know a little bit of German to talk to the Administrator... http://www.geocities.com/ - 1 meg of free space- this is somewhat simple,just fill out a few forms... http://www.tripod.com/ - .1 megs of free space, just become a member, which is also free... http://www.angelfire.com/ - as much space as you can take up with text documents... Free E-mail: http://www.juno.com/ - a free e-mail provider with their own interface and local dial-up numbers in the U.S. - be sure to check this one out... I'm making this list for a section of my links page for my site... If you know of any other completely free internet services, let me know... remember, this is not an advertisement, they are all completely free, don't get mad... I know some of you must like free stuff... if you'd like to know the addresses of my pages on all these servers, let me know... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 23:16:41 -0400 Subject: Re: Dissertation on the difference between tmbg and al In a message dated 96-06-06 22:09:35 EDT, zedlers@metronet.com (Frankenberry) writes: >it's like comparing a judy >blume book to hemingway. both are entertaining and have value, one is >simply more stimulating than another. when you say that you mean that Judy Blume is more stimulating than Hemingway right? [;)] (the sad part is that this would be true had you compared Ms. Blume to, say, Dickens) putting down the pipe... check out The Hall of Heads http://www.geocities.com/Sunsetstrip/6476/ - Free when you sponge off a University [;)]... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 23:28:37 From: Chipko@gnn.com (Andrew McAninch) Subject: Buttknobs Cont'd... Hey fellow buttknobs, this was a little too much fun... heres a few off my list.. 1.)Alienations for the Buttknobs 2.)Your Racist Buttknob 3.)No one Knows my Buttknob 4.)Meet James Buttknob 5.)Cage & Buttknob hehehehehe snicker snicker See ya ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 23:42:49 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: lots o' stuff... > >I personaly beleive that few bands fit in the TMBG genre. The closest I can > >think of is Bare Naked Ladies, (their first album, gordon only), and the > >Wonder Stuff. i believe i've found a band that could fit in the TMBG genre. they're called the "Ben Folds Five" and they're one of those bands that want to make you jump up and down and have a great time (very much like a certain band that this list is dedicated to). it consists of 3 guys. one piano player, one base player, and one drummer. that's right, no guitar. you'd think that they'd sound like they'd be missing something, but when you listen to them they really are great. > > They Got Lost i enjoyed that song thoroughly. > > Spiralling Shape haven't heard it live, but i do like it a lot. my third favorite new song. > > S.E.X.X.Y. it's my least favorite of the new songs but it doesn't mean i don't like it. i just happen to like the other new songs i've heard better. > > Reprehensible i do like this one quite a bit. probably my second favorite new song. > > XTC vs. Adam Ant this is my favorite of all the new songs. for several reasons. the music i think is great and IMHO some of the same guitar type stuff that's in ANA NG but a little slower. and i also love it for my great fondness of 80's new wave (i'm a fan of both XTC and Adam Ant) and although i think it'd be a good fight, in the end there can be only one. and i think that one will be XTC. > Coincidentally (or maybe not) I had a long long long debate with one of my > friends today about whether Frank Zappa was a "serious" musician. i find that to be a bit disturbing. although i'm not a big Zappa fan, i know that he is one of those musical revolutionaries that should not be forgotten. the number of people he's influenced is spectacular and he was an incredibly talented musician, in every sense of the word. > As far as Weird Al is concerned, I thought I'd put my $.02 in. I was into > him before I was into TMBG, but I find that I enjoy his parodies a lot more > than his original stuff. I do find his originalities much too predictable > and, well, boring. The parodies are great though...I'm always amazed at how > good he is at mimicking other people's styles, and finding humorous lyrics > to sing over them. amen. testify my brother. > think. It's like placing intelligent humor next to slapstick comedy...a > sitcom next to the Three Stooges. Am I on track here? I'm just pulling > this stuff out of my a$$...feel free to disagree. i know what you are trying to say, and i hate to tell you this, but sitcom's are hardly intellectual humor. i've never seen a sitcom that's made me laugh like a stand up comic. but what i think you are trying to say is the Marx Brothers next to the Three Stooges. (sorry that misappropriation of literal devices irked me) > Mr Klaw and I drove, what, 10-12 hours or so to get to E-town in > april. Of course it was not just for the show but for the chance to meet > some of you. Still...we did it. and we appreciate it. i have to commend you on that incredible feat of will to drive that long. i don't think i (and most others) would be able to drive that long. you have my immense respect. > sane? what's that? who's really sane? by what absolute norm do you equate > your sanity by? and does this mean that others follow the same absolution > that you do? do cows really have four legs? what's the difference between > a duck? who knows? who will? what do you care? you're just laughing your > ass off anyway? does your butt have a knob? do I want to know? no. all i have to say is that i think i'm a mad cow. moo. > Very good stuff there. Anyone Squeeze fans? YO! > I drove 24 hours to get to the Celebrate Brooklyn show (and back) last > summer. 12 hours Saturday. The show Sunday. 12 hours back on Monday. I > think that was one of the more insane drives I've made for the sake of seeing > any band. Oh, the devotion. you have my immense respect as well. my very long message of the month daniel ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 01:37:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: BANDS, U.F.O.'S, AND A QUOTE FROM X-FILES... Hi gang! I'm writing in regard to people saying that TMBG is completly origional. THeY might be gods of the universe, but there are other wanabes. I like them, but not as much as THeY. First, there is Primus, who like the Johns don't seem to make much sense. There is also R.E.M. who like the Johns, hide sinister and depressing lyrics behind happy music (i.e. Stand - "If wishes were trees, the trees would be falling."). As mentioned, Barenaked Ladies, Canada 's version of the Johns. But one of my favorite of the eclectic bands is Foo Fighters, which for those who don't know, is a W.W. II term for U.F.O.'s. If you can't classify them with THeY then you obviously belong in an "Absolutly Bill's Mood" room. I like them for two reasons: 1) I am an abductee (no joke) and 2) I love that "Footos video". As far as Weird Al, he does his music for entertainment purposes only. Linnel pointed out that their "cheer up looser music" is actual Rock. "I just don't see why all rock should be about sex and teen angst," says Linnel. But though we have different views for what bands are similar to THeY, we unite here for one major reason: we know who the best band ever is (THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS). Fare thee well friends, Brother John Blackhawk. --- As promised: Midgit: You'd be surprised how many women find my stature atractive. Mulder: You'd be surprised how many men do too. ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 01:53:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: THE SOUNDS OF GiANTS... Real quick, I'll do what no one else ever has or has been able to do: explain the plan of the Johns and a few of the other eclectic bands. Follow the think- ing of Linnel: "O.K., let's put out a video. Something that kids will like and parents won't mind. I know, Don't Let's Start. The parents will hear the happy music and will think it's a good influence. The kids will absorb it. When the kids turn 23, they will be our manically depressed zombies. Even better, let's get them hooked on a cartoon. Stephen owes me for that party. I'll have him put us on Tiny Toons. I feel the world becoming ours already..." Well, just a thought. Call it the GiANTS junky theory. Brother John Blackhawk :> ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 02:33:18 -0400 Subject: Re: lots o' stuff... >i believe i've found a band that could fit in the TMBG genre. they're >called the "Ben Folds Five" and they're one of those bands that want to >make you jump up and down and have a great time (very much like a certain >band that this list is dedicated to). it consists of 3 guys. one piano >player, one base player, and one drummer. that's right, no guitar. you'd >think that they'd sound like they'd be missing something, but when you >listen to them they really are great. Oh my God! I love BB5!! They are great! I hope that they come to Chicago some time soon because I LOVE them! They do get me in a good mood when I hear them, but they are very different sounding than TMBG. Anyway, base player is spelled bass. butttuckerknob ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-159 ******************************