Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 16 Tuesday, 16 January 1996 Today's Topics: I schtole the schpider It's 1996 now. Music and things MST3K bosstones, not tmbg correction Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-15 Re: Music and things MST3K reference MSTie Morons 8o) Re: Self Called Nowhere Re: Self Called Nowhere Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 21:40:48 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: I schtole the schpider there's this radio station in Pittsburg, which calls itself the >"New Rock Revolution" (104.7) and it's shamelessly using a clip from >"Spider" as identification. I beleive the sound clip is the distinctive groan (huwaaaaah) I'm not sure if this is a big deal, (liberally edited, yeah but I think there's a rule about it, and I wouldnt get my We Love Jon Chaffer T shirt unless I kept the quote-age down) well I'll be damned he said, metophorically, because noone really wants to be damned, even being the nicest of the damned doesnt appeal, it seems weird because what is this song 'spider' if it isnt a BUNCH OF SAMPLES, a couple, perhaps maybe just kinda i dont know...bootlegged? I dont know, maybe you ben or been hussled? ---Mike __________________________ Michael Carr "Do you like my ears up or down?" -Babs Bunny (No relation) __________________________ ------------------------------ From: Guy D Albertelli Subject: It's 1996 now. Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 08:18:17 -0500 (EST) So when does Their new album come out? I haven't yet heard anything about a new album yet. (Only the compilation Freaksicle which has been indefinitely postponed.) So since it is an even numbered year, where and when will the new album be released. Enjoy -- Guy Albertelli II | GCS -d+ c++++ l++ h | /| albertel@cps.msu.edu | u++ e+(*) m++(*) !n | \`o.O' albertel@pilot.msu.edu | s++/++ f g+ w+++ | =(___)= I would love to but . . . | U Ack--Phfft! I'm building a pig from a kit. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 13:10:39 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Music and things Well, today was quite an eventful day. On my way home, I stopped off at a record store to see if I could pick up a copy of the MMPR soundtrack for SenSurround. I was about to leave after not being able to find it when another Movie Soundtrack section caught my eye. I went and looked, and I found the soundtrack on sale for $4.00. Then, I was looking around for something else to buy so I wouldn't look so lame, and a lady knocked this cd off the rack. I picked it up to put it back, and saw that it was the Frank Black cd I had tried to buy about a month ago but couldn't find. So I took both cds up to the counter, and, as I was checking out, spotted the TMBG video compilation. I said I was adding something to my purchase and ran over and got it. It only cost $8.35, because it was on sale (the Info Club price is $15.00 + S&H). I went home feeling extremely lucky (come on, I was about to leave the place, and instead I found a ton of stuff very cheap), and listened and watched my stuff right away. Of course, this totally ruined any studying I would have gotten done on my exams, but hey... Anyway, what do you think about SenSurround? It sounds very cool, and proves they can write 'regular' music, but it seems pretty obvious that it was just done for the money. Wow, that was spammy. Oh well. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 12:19:04 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: MST3K > Heyyy... What reference was that? I've been waiting and waiting for >there to be some sort of reference on MST3K (I love that show) and have > never heard one. Can you tell me what show or movie it was? I don't remember what the movie was called - I turned it on halfway through - but it was about a town with a swamp or something nearby, inhabited by giant iguanas or some comparable reptile (i was tired, my detail recall isn't so hot). Anyway, these two scientists were speculating on rumors of giant lizards being spotted near town when one of them said something to the effect of "nobody ever goes in there. it's possible that there could be giants living in the swamp without anybody noticing" at which point one of the wiseass robots remarked "hmm...there MIGHT be giants...", which struck me as a blatant and obvious reference to our boys. Who else? That comment makes no sense other- wise. I was just proud of myself for having picked it up! heh heh heh... Speakin' of television, I recommend every TMBG fan watch "Cartoon Planet". It's on USA or TBS or something. For one thing, it's freakin' hilarious! They do some schtick and then they show a really BAD cartoon from the '70's (much like MST). And they almost always do something with music by TMBG and usually list them in the credits. Kinda gives you a warm feeling inside... so long for now, josh -- -----<[([ Josh Raulerson, King of the Little People })]>----- BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu * :)-- <-- drooling smiley The Fauves Homepage: http://www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html "Once I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)!"### ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:57:36 -0500 Subject: bosstones, not tmbg correction In a message dated 96-01-15 03:20:17 EST, you write: >The 'Tones call their style "ska-core," as in a metal sounding ska. So >everybody's right. no, that would be a mix of hardcore and ska... ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:57:26 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-15 In a message dated 96-01-15 03:20:17 EST, you write: > One thing has been puzzling me - I keep hearing that Pere Ubu is a good >band for people who like the 'Giants. I bought their disc "Raygun Suitcase" >not >long ago, and while I'll verify that they're pretty cool, the connection to >TMBG is lost on me... Other than a similar brand of lighthearted weirdness the album story of my life is a more tmbg like album... try it out its great.. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:29:41 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Music and things > exams, but hey... Anyway, what do you think about SenSurround? It sounds > very cool, and proves they can write 'regular' music, but it seems pretty > obvious that it was just done for the money. Wow, that was spammy. Oh well. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what on earth makes you say that? I don't think so at all... erik ------------------------------ From: Beezus5084@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 18:19:56 -0500 Subject: MST3K reference On Jan.15, 1996, josh wrote, >Anyway, these two scientists were speculating on rumors of giant >lizards being spotted near town when one of them said something to the effect >of "nobody ever goes in there. it's possible that there could be giants living >in the swamp without anybody noticing" at which point one of the wiseass robots >remarked "hmm...there MIGHT be giants...", which struck me as a blatant and >obvious reference to our boys. Who else? That comment makes no sense other- >wise. I was just proud of myself for having picked it up! heh heh heh... about a reference made on MST3K. While this could be (and probably was, due to the fact that the writers of that show seem to be the kind of people who would like They) a reference to the Johns' band, please remember that that is also a saying ,and probably where the best band in the world got Their name. If it was in relation to Them, thanks, josh, for pointing it out. Also, when I saw Them, the Dambuilders ( who have had a CD in the Hello music club) opened up for Them. I bought their album and it's pretty good and uplifting so you might want to check them out. monkey ears, Beezus ( You can call me Al,but my real name is Dallas. Or is it?) *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ *------------------------------------------------- I'm gonna make a million dollars, and then i'm gonna buy all the stars in the sky, and I'm gonna put 'em in a jar, and I'm gonna label the jar, "Strawberry Preserves". ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 18:58:54 -0700 Subject: MSTie Morons 8o) about a reference made about MST3K: > While this could be (and probably was, due >to the fact that the writers of that show seem to be the kind of people who >would like They) a reference to the Johns' band, please remember that that is >also a saying ,and probably where the best band in the world got Their name. >If it was in relation to Them, thanks, josh, for pointing it out. The reference was genuine, and Joel is an admitted fan of TMBG, and mike has grown to like them, and TV's Frank says he hates them, but only to be the dissenting voice, and there are plenty of references to them in all of the shows...I'd say They get a mention at least once in every ten shows...They Might Be Giants is NOT a popular saying, it is NOT in any of my common Cliche' books, and had you read the FAQ, you would know that they got their name from an old Sherlock Holmes program. This is not a flame, merely a rude-sounding correction. -Rabid Child (P.S. Long .sig's Piss People Off!) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 23:56:01 -0700 From: Daniel Preece Organization: Brigham Young University Subject: Re: Self Called Nowhere mdukelan@wyoming.com wrote: > > Heya! Great interp...send it to the archive! > but...as with all great things, there is an error... > >The next line : "it's a thing named 'it' in a bottemless pit you can't see it > >there." This self called nowhere doesn't have a definition. It is what makes > >each of us. > The thing is named "ID" which is, I beleive the hindu word for I, look it > up, as IO am sure to be wrong. I don't know if "ID" is the hindu word for I or not, which if it was it would sure make for a good interp. but in the words found in the JH CD it says: "it's a thing named 'it'" Of course if the "ID" up there was supposed to be a "IT" it would fit fine and it being the hindu word for I, it would fit with the song as well. > > > We can't really name it because it is different for all of us. > This could then be proven true. > > >The last line of the Chorus : "the sunken head that lies in the bed of a self > >called nowhere." I see this as dreaming because of the references to the > >sunken > >head lying in bed. > This last par. needs work...8o) I agree, I was reaching for that one. But I have to say that the sunken head lying in a bed does resemble sleep. The exact connection between that and the rest is kind of vague. The part I have trouble with is relating that with lying in the bed of a self called nowhere when the self called nowhere is supposed to be part of you as I was saying before. I guess it could be seen as another one of the vague dualities and undefinition of dreams. But I would like any ideas on the subject. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Daniel Preece ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 23:59:10 -0700 From: Daniel Preece Organization: Brigham Young University Subject: Re: Self Called Nowhere Jose Alvear wrote: > > very impressive analysis.... > I too like this song alot.. one of my all-time favorites, but I have > never really gotten down and analyzed it yet. > I agree that the song seems to sing about the mind and the thinking > state, but I wonder about the dream state you mentioned. I will talk > more about this in the tmbg-list, later. > > Bye! > > Jose Alvear > I would greatly appreciate any ideas that You may have on my interps or any other interps of your own. I am always open to new ideas. Thanks Daniel Preece ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-16 *****************************