Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-160 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 160 Saturday, 8 June 1996 Today's Topics: What a brainful! Re: BANDS, U.F.O.'S, AND A QUOTE FROM X-FILES... I Will Not Talk About Buttknobs Re: distance to concert, + Looking inside yourself (none) Re: your mail Re: Reprehensible They Might Be Buttknobs Re: Reprehensible Re: No Subject Re: blahblahblahhhh. Beware the knob that wags the butt my buttknob favorites More Buttknobs! They Might Be Buttknobs Re: They Might Be Buttknobs tmbg concert Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 03:21:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: What a brainful! Well, hello! This is my first posting here, after a few days of absorbing all of the rantings and ravings of fellow fans. I'd like to personally stay out of the Wierd Al/TMBG debate, b/c it seems to be going nowhere and everywhere at the same time, so I'll be safe for the time being and move to the buttknob songs. I'd personally like to hear about Them going down to Buttknob, or even Minimum Buttknob. Well, that's all from me at the moment. It's great to log in everyday and have new mail, and it's all about TMBG, even if some of it is rantings and ravings. Hey, that's what I do best. TTFN, see you all on Utopia Parkway. ]:o_ Amy Greenlese _o:[ |O = cowtown@tmbg.org = O| |_o= http://www.onu.edu/~stu1336 =o_| ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:46:54 -0005 Subject: Re: BANDS, U.F.O.'S, AND A QUOTE FROM X-FILES... > Hi gang! > I'm writing in regard to people saying that TMBG is completly origional. > THeY might be gods of the universe, but there are other wanabes. I like them, > but not as much as THeY. First, there is Primus, who like the Johns don't seem > to make much sense. sure, Primus doesn't make much sense, but how can you call them a wannabe band? they are completely different. Les Claypool (lead singer, best basss player in the world) writes his songs to be STRANGE. He wants people to see them that way. > There is also R.E.M. who like the Johns, hide sinister and > depressing lyrics behind happy music (i.e. Stand - "If wishes were trees, the > trees would be falling."). well, I guess the messages are there, but what about shiny happy people? they don't sound like them at all. >As mentioned, Barenaked Ladies, Canada > 's version of the Johns. never heard them, I'll decline comment. >But one of my favorite of the eclectic bands is Foo >Fighters, which for those who don't know, is a W.W. II term for U.F.O.'s. If > you can't classify them with THeY then you obviously belong in an "Absolutly > Bill's Mood" room. I like them for two reasons: 1) I am an abductee (no joke) > and 2) I love that "Footos video". well, I guess you should put me in that room. a name doesn't make a band wannabes. Foo's songs are nothing like Their's. they're not even remotely close! >As far as Weird Al, he does his music for > entertainment purposes only. Linnel pointed out that their "cheer up looser > music" is actual Rock. "I just don't see why all rock should be about sex and > teen angst," says Linnel. But though we have different views for what bands > are similar to THeY, we unite here for one major reason: we know who the best > band ever is (THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS). Personally, I still think Al is more in line w/ TMBG than those other bands you mentioned. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 09:49:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: I Will Not Talk About Buttknobs All this talk of buttknobs reminds me of the great expression I learned from my friend Jane last year. OK, you know how when something is cool you say it's "the shit"? Well, she had learned a Spanish slang expression meaning basically the same thing, and translated into English it was literally "the third ass" (usage: "Wow, They Might Be Giants are the third ass.") So now, you can all go throw off your friends by using this expression.... Anyway. Pardon my language. Um....OK, TMBG content...oh yeah! I already have TMBG content! I said They were the third--oh, never mind. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 14:17:56 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: distance to concert, + Looking inside yourself I took a 50hr long bus ride from Texas to Boston to see Ween once... speaking of concert travel... Also...Tmbg's lyrics make u look inside yourself? I dont think thats intentional... bye john ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 05:20:18 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Hey all. Just thought I'd add some more friendly insight to the buttknob thread. I was thinking the other day, and I don't think I'm completely sure of what a buttknob is yet, but I'm getting there. I think I'm almost positive I know a couple. On the `pimply protrusion on your posterior' definition, are you sure this is worthy of a buttknob definition? I don't think I've ever seen a pimple that I would call a `knob', let alone on my butt. I was thinking it is much more of a bony thing, or at least somewhat cartilagy... And if this is what a buttknob is, where do you get them? Do they grow on your buttock, or do they...ehem.. impede the flow of disposal traffic? I did read an article about a guy who died with a 40 pound shit in him... maybe he had a buttknob?? Maybe a buttknob is a predator that kills its prey through forced constipation?? Well, toodles. mike (Leahcim) ps. What about Road movie to buttknob? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 18:57:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: your mail On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Michael Batchelder wrote: > Hey all. Just thought I'd add some more friendly insight to the buttknob > thread. > > I was thinking the other day, and I don't think I'm completely sure of what > a buttknob is yet, but I'm getting there. I think I'm almost positive I > know a couple. > > On the `pimply protrusion on your posterior' definition, are you sure this > is worthy of a buttknob definition? I don't think I've ever seen a pimple > that I would call a `knob', let alone on my butt. I was thinking it is much > more of a bony thing, or at least somewhat cartilagy... And if this is what > a buttknob is, where do you get them? Do they grow on your buttock, or do > they...ehem.. impede the flow of disposal traffic? I did read an article > about a guy who died with a 40 pound shit in him... maybe he had a > buttknob?? Maybe a buttknob is a predator that kills its prey through > forced constipation?? I think I'm going to take a dump. Shuddering, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 20:03:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Reprehensible Wow. These lyrics are, well, pretty dark. What's the music like, happy and upbeat like all the other dark TMBG songs? >10,000 years of unerasable acts Hmmmm, can anyone say "tie-in"? /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I spend too much time raiding windmills. We go side by side, laugh until | \-------it's right." Toad The Wet Sprocket, "Windmills"---------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 20:03:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: They Might Be Buttknobs 1. Hide Away Folk Buttknob 2. 32 Buttknobs 3. Buttknob Hiway 4. Butt Knob Face 5. Buttknob Section Want Ad Heck, that's only from one album... 1. Lie Still, Little Buttknob 2. Buttknob Rain 3. The World's Buttknob 4. Buttknob's Beard 5. Buttknob in Hell And... 1. Your Buttknob Friend 2. Buttknob Aid 3. Buttknobbox 4. Sapphire Buttknobs of Pure Love 5. Road Movie To Buttknobs And... 1. Lady is a Buttknob 2. Buttknob of the Sullen Moon 3. It's Not My Buttknob 4. For Buttknobs 5. The Buttknob Polka And... 1. Buttknob (their names are called, they raise a knob...) 2. Buttknob (we love you, buttknob!) 3. The Buttknob (do I see a pattern here) 4. Buttknob Bell 5. Hypnotist of Buttknobs And finally... 1. Sleeping in The Buttknobs 2. Butt Knob (Brainwashing Buttknob...) 3. A Self Called Buttknob 4. Meet James Buttknob 5. Buttknob (Look at all the people in the Buttknob...) Oh, and while I'm here: 1. Stormy Buttknob 2. Buttknob (So the wind swept the buttknob across the sky...) 3. Buttknob (Buttknob, you walked...) 4. Welcome to The Buttknob 5. One More Buttknob Am I pathetic? /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I spend too much time raiding windmills. We go side by side, laugh until | \-------it's right." Toad The Wet Sprocket, "Windmills"---------------------/ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Reprehensible Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:11:23 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Joshua Hall-Bachner: >Wow. These lyrics are, well, pretty dark. What's the music like, happy and >upbeat like all the other dark TMBG songs? Sort of a big-band feel (hint: there's a clarinet solo in it.) Flansie does his best Mel Torme (whose daughter(?) created the TV show "Sliders" and got him on last week about this time.) -CB. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 20:17:17 -0400 Subject: Re: No Subject In a message dated 96-06-07 17:25:50 EDT, michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu (Michael Batchelder) writes: > >On the `pimply protrusion on your posterior' definition, are you sure this >is worthy of a buttknob definition? I don't think I've ever seen a pimple >that I would call a `knob', let alone on my butt. I was thinking it is much >more of a bony thing, or at least somewhat cartilagy... And if this is what >a buttknob is, where do you get them? Do they grow on your buttock, or do >they...ehem.. impede the flow of disposal traffic? I did read an article >about a guy who died with a 40 pound shit in him... maybe he had a >buttknob?? Maybe a buttknob is a predator that kills its prey through >forced constipation?? Now I know what they made the CDA for... Ok, never mind... that was, well... I don't know if I wan't to see you on telnet now... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:45:41 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. > > Woo-hah! Speaking of BNL, I'm going to their concert tomorrow night! > Woo-hah! Also, I just got the new Grant Lee Buffalo CD, Copperopolis, and > it is amazing. Get it! Sorry, this message doesn't really pertain to TMBG. Dude...you're lying. For 2 resons. The first is Grant Lee Buffalo would never be cool enough to name their album Copperopolis. I'm crushed. Especially if GLB is that shitty band that had an mtv video with a human dressed up as a bird running around and the weak-ass singer spending most of the video sitting in a bird cage. The reason I am heartbroken/betrayed/in shock AND you are lying is...Copperopolis is a TMBG reference! (so your first msg. really WAS about TMBG). Atthe first TMBG show I ever saw in '90, they were selling a poster with a picture on it as well as a bunch of names of places scrawled over it...cabbagetown, bee-bee town, and Copperopolis! Being an impressionable young kid, and it being a rad rad word, it quickly became integrated into my vocabulary. (BTW, copperopolis is a great thing to yell at people at the top of your lungs. Especially if they're a stranger riding their bicycle). This has to be some kind of mistake. GRANT LEE BUFFALO IS NOT SECRET! Tell me you're lying.........please.... erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 21:47:35 -0400 Subject: Beware the knob that wags the butt Salutations... I figured I'd better join in on this before it got old. and here is my top 5. 10.No One Knows My Buttknob 9."Here comes the buttknob, beware of the buttknob..." 8.Sapphire Buttknobs Of Pure Love 7.I Blame Buttknob 6.They'll Need a Buttknob 5.Hall of Buttknobs 4.See the Buttknob 3.Mrs.Buttknob (I don't want to be first in line, either) 2.I've Got a Buttknob 1.Santa's Buttknob ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 16:51:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: my buttknob favorites Hi all! I sent these to Tara today. Thought I'd pass them along to all of you! TOP TEN BUTTKNOB SONGS: 10. Buttknob with teeth 9. The buttknob got me high 8. Dig my buttknob 7. Narrow your buttknob 6. Hall of buttknobs 5. Kiss me buttknob of God 4. Why does the buttknob shine? 3. It's not my buttknob 2. Where your buttknob doesn't go and, the nubmer one buttknob song... 1. Someone keeps moving my buttknob * The thoughts and Unrelated Things herein are not mine; they belong to My Evil Twin. Complaints should be directed to the Hall of Heads. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ) ( \ ) | Kylee Dickey: 5'3" : I'm the LWFAP! | / ) ) ( | 00083933@bigred.unl.edu | ( ( ( ) | she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org | ______________________ """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ` '__ | "If you say drink coffee, I'll drink | \ TWIN PEAKS / \ | coffee." --Agent Cooper | \ SHERIFF'S DEPT / ] """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" l _l___/ \__ __/ I have too much blood in my caffeine system! /_________\ ------------------------------ Date: 07 Jun 96 23:13:44 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: More Buttknobs! Ok people this is going to be on hell of a post. I wil respond to pretty much every thread with buttknob. My favorite song is buttknob in your soul Some bands that TMBG fans might like would be the Buttknob surfers and the buttknobbed ladies. Weird al is just a buttknob. I have also made an assci (get it ass!) art of a buttknob. __________ ( | ) | ( | ) | (____ |_____) no my butt doesn't look like that. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 12:39:56 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: They Might Be Buttknobs >Heck, that's only from one album... >And... >And... >And... >And finally... >Oh, and while I'm here: >Am I pathetic? Yup mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: They Might Be Buttknobs Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 21:50:25 -0700 I've been fooling with my Cd players programming tracks What's that green buttknob.... doing there.... Are you the guy who hit me in the buttknob I walk along darkened buttknobs Please pass the buttknob, please I hear the buttknob blow I hear the buttknob blow It seems to say "hello, hello, I'm the one who loves you so" Who's knocking on the buttknob? Come on and wreck my buttknob I foudn a new buttknob, underneath my pillow What's that blue buttknob doing here? Aren't you the guy who hit me in the buttknob? something grabbed ahold of my buttknob I didn't know what had my buttknob that's when all my troubles began Sorry.... ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sat, 08 Jun 96 02:02:45 -0400 Subject: tmbg concert WHOOOOOO!!! THAT CONCERT ROCKED!!!!! I liked Emmet Swimming too. For Squirrels sucked really bad... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-160 ******************************