Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-161 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 161 Sunday, 9 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Re: stuff.........huh huh flippety fairfax ok, here it is! Fairfax Concert Hey Aussies! Monopuff video Re: Fairfax Concert monopuff Re: monopuff Video Moxy Fruvous Fairfax show last night. They Might Be Bull Shit or My Review of the Fairfax Show Moshing Re: Monopuff video+Fingertips+OAT Re: Moshing Fwd: important for our kids TMBG at the Maryland Science Center! concert on Friday! Mono Puff mono Science Center Which Describes How You're Feeling All The Time Re: concert on Friday! TMBG CD-ROM? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 10:36:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT On Wed, 5 Jun 1996 DGently253@aol.com wrote: > >i agree in part, but feel this must be said. > > >firstly, i can't STAND it that the comparison would even be made. i'm > > Coincidentally (or maybe not) I had a long long long debate with one of my > friends today about whether Frank Zappa was a "serious" musician. His basic > argument was that nobody who played "Dancin' Fool" could be a serious > musician. I don't know, whenever I think of Weird Al, I think of Frank Zappa. > They seem to be very similar (although, I'll admit Zappa did write some songs > that intentionally weren't at all funny). Both of them wrote extremely funny > songs, but they do them WELL. The instrumentation is good and the words > convey the message (simple as it may be). Music doesn't have to be comlex to > be serious, it just has to do it's job well, and IMHO, Weird Al and Frank > Zappa both wrote songs that do their jobs well. how can you not take seriosly a man with 53 albums (on 70 CDs)?!?! in my personal opinion, frank was a genius. i'm not trying to say weird al isn't good, but the two are alot different. zappa's unbending intent was to do and say exactly as he saw fit, without artistic, political, or moral compromise. i'm sorry if this is already dead, but i haven't checked my mail all week.... just a side note, but i got my new rolling stone today, with metallica on the cover, and i noticed right away that kirk hammet is trying to look JUST like chris cornell. trust me, if you see the cover, you'll know what i'm saying. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 10:48:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: stuff.........huh huh On Thu, 6 Jun 1996 KTUCKER3@aol.com wrote: > Have any of you ever been to a Barenaked Ladies concert? Well, after > seeing them last night, I want to go again!! It has almost as much energy as > a TMBG show. They played for 2 hours, with 2 encores, and were great! The > best part was during, "If I Had $1000000", where the crowd threw macaroni (me > included) at BNL while they sing about eating more Kraft dinner. BNL should > be coming your way soon, so if you get a chance, go see them! i've seen barenaked ladies a few times, and have even talked to them. they said they are getting really sick of people throwing kraft mac&cheese at them, especially when steve gets hit in the face while he's singing. the energy level is always very high, and they are always around where i live, so seeing them has never been a problem. that's all for now sarah, who found a new friend underneath her pillow ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 15:23:42 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: flippety fairfax i agree, the concert did rock! just a few short things... Their energy was good...not as bad as E-Town, as i heard that was rather a drag... They mentioned that They were using last night's concert as a celebration of Their 10 year recording anniversary. 3 cheers for TMBG! i was also very happy to meet my pal Matt James, finally! great guy, that. :) hehe, so...i suppose i will chortle my way on...i got a set list, (after writing them all down for myself!), so if any of you want to know what songs, write me! love you all. here's a new nickname suggestion from friend matt...thanks, bud! :) --fransburgh (previously known as fran, aka the vonnegut vassal!) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 15:27:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: ok, here it is! thanks matt! my only regret about last night is that i did not get a chance to meet any of you...perhaps another time? (i was wearing a little blue shirt with a little sailboat in the corner, hehe, for any of you who may have seen me, hehe) bye! --fransburgh ****oh, and leo! tell us how it went! also...i had my first TMBG dream this morning! yay! ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Fairfax Concert Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 15:44:44 -0400 (EDT) Well, here's my take on the fairfax show. I got there about 4:30, luckly being on the list I could get into the fair early (I didn't know it didn't open until 6, I thought it was an all day thing). I went on in but no TMBG people were there yet, so I walked around and saw the fair, and listened to 'Emmet Swimming' warm up. About the time Emmet Swimming started the first tmbg person got there. You might have seen him, he was the guy selling t-shirts. I talked with him for a while while helping to unload some of the gear. A very cool guy. He works in the production office the rest of the time so he had some interesting things to say (that I'll get to later). I then listened to Emmet a little. Nice band. Apparently a local act that just got signed to electra. Look for their CD next month, it might be good. Anyway, while Emmet was playing Graham (the bassist) and Brian (the drummer) showed up with the guitar and drum techs. The techs immediately ran off to get setup, but I did introduce myself to both Brian and Graham and then talked with Graham for a while. We talked about how loyal TMBG fans are (appartently people come up to him and say "Where's Tony", tip: don't do that :-) and about fingertips of all things...something he was just learning how to play. He didn't realize they were seperate tracks, I think he'll be putting Apollo 18 on shuffle play as soon as he gets back. :-) Those guys then ran off to the hotel to freshen up a bit so I went back and hung out with the t-shirt guy for a while (his name is Michael, I'll use that from now on :-). During the break between Emmet Swimming and Four Squirrls (the other band for the evening) John and John and Eric (the guitar player) showed up. Flans ran off checking out some setup stuff so I got to talk to Linell for a few minutes. Shortly after I was able to track Flans down while he was eating, but he didn't seem to want to talk and I didn't want to bug him, so all I really was able to do was introduce myself to him. Anyway, they ran off to the hotel too, so I went back to the t-shirt guy and watched four squirrls. I have to say they sucked, bigtime. It rapidly degenerated to white noise, screaming, and the mosh pit. We noticed the police start to build up and then finally all the sudden they went in and started ejecting people. We were all glad when four squirrls were done. At least they plugged tmbg a few times in the show. Oh yeah, while they were playing I went out and talked to these 3 girls outside the gate. Must have been in the 13-15 range with TMBG shirts and facepaint on. They were trying to get to talk to J&J. I think they stood outside the gate for almost 6 hours, all for nothing. I almost feel sorry for them. After that was a laser show, err paid ad by AT&T and some fireworks while things were reset for They. They didn't actually come back from the hotel until about 9:25. Several minutes later they were up and playing for a packed house. The crowed loved it, although the police started pulling moshers and crowsurfers out of the front and ejecting them from the fair. A few were even arrested. One girl got her nose smashed in pretty bad too, had to be taken off to the hospital. I wandered around a bit and ended up deciding behind the fence was safer. :-) I talked to this sort blond girl for a while who was trying to get a J&J autograph. She was really cute. I would have flirted, but she was a smoker, which is one of my few big turnoffs. I will say this, a band t-shirt and a backstage pass is a definate way to attract women. :-) Normally they wouldn't come up to me on the street, but with those on all sorts of girls were coming up to me asking if I could get them back stage, or autographs, or messages to the band. Too bad I couldn't. After they were done they took off in a hurry to avoid the crowd, which by that time was very loud, and slightly hostile. I said a quick 'Great show' to them right before they left. That's about it for me. I made my way back to my hotel for the night. Maybe next time I'll be privilaged enough to know where they are staying. I was invited to the Monopuff show in DC on the 26th, I'm seeing if I can go. I had a great time. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 05:49:52 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: Hey Aussies! Hello Aust/NZ TMBG fans, I just wanted to mention that I am here in the list too. I have been busy turning 21, but I wanted to tell you about my shirt. It is white, with a blue and orange swirly logo on the front and a b & w picture of some kid's face on the back. I haven't seen anyone else in Sydney with it! Oh yeah, I saw the Cockroaches tonight at the Castle Hill Tavern. Did you know that four of the guys from the Cockroaches are also members of the Wiggles?! They did quite a few Wiggles tracks tonight too. ****************************************************************************** THE CHIPS ARE READY: William Shatner's Pants EP available now! The Chips Are Ready are a three piece band from Sydney, Australia and feature Scott (guitar), Craig (bass) and Peter (drums and lead vocals). William Shatner's Pants EP Track listing: 1. Nervous & Quiet 2. Mr Stinky 3. Wired For Sound (yes, a grungy Cliff Richard cover!) 4. Casual Pool 5. Hayley Lewis 6. Mamma Mia (ABBA gone punk!) This EP is available only through Stinky Records (petery7@ozemail.com.au) and will be available commercially late 1996! **************************************************************************** ** ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Monopuff video Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 16:20:42 -0400 (EDT) I almost forgot. I mentioned everyone wanting to call in and get TMBG on the air and found out there will be a video with the single in August, so we can try for a new video then. In the mean time Michael suggested we do the same for the Monopuff video coming out in like a week or two. If the list is interested in helping out with this I'll get the name of the song/video and when it will be releasted so we can start calling a day or two ahead of time. A couple of hundred calls a day should do the trick! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 15:29:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Ray Grabeel Subject: Re: Fairfax Concert > then talked with Graham for a while. We talked about how > loyal TMBG fans are (appartently people come up to him and > say "Where's Tony", tip: don't do that :-) and about > fingertips of all things...something he was just learning > how to play. Oh wow! So, are they finally going to break down and start doing this one (one?) live? That would *rock*! I remember one show... the Nostalgia Night show, I think, and if that's the case, I wasn't actually there, but I have it on tape... anyways, at one point somebody yelled, "Play Fingertips!" at which Flans snapped back, "What?! No way!" But, I can't imagine why Graham would be learning something like Fingertips if they weren't going to use it in their set... unless they just wanted to use it as a sound check song, which would be a waste of a perfectly cool song to do live... The band with Tony apparantly knew Youth Culture Killed My Dog, but never put it in their regular set. I heard it once during a sound check on the JH tour. One of the guys in the band called it "the impossible one." still amused by that, Ray -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ray Grabeel "There are exActly rlg@metronet.com three errors in http://www.metronet.com/~rlg/ this sentance." =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 16:31:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: monopuff Hey, great fairfax story Leo, I wish I could have been there! umm, my Q is: Is the Monopuff show in DC definitely on the 26th? I have heard the 27th. I wonder if Linnell will be there too. Does anyone know who the other members of the band are? *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: monopuff Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 16:36:21 -0400 (EDT) > umm, my Q is: Is the Monopuff show in DC definitely on the 26th? I have > heard the 27th. I wonder if Linnell will be there too. > Does anyone know who the other members of the band are? Could be the 27th, I don't know without looking. As for members, it's John Flansburgh, Hal Cragin, and Steve Calhoon. I don't know if Linnell will be there, he doesn't have anything to do with Monopuff, but this will be one of their first shows. More on Monopuff at: http://www.rykodisc.com/3/features/monomain.html -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sat, 08 Jun 96 16:48:58 -0400 Subject: Video WEll! I am interested in getting a video on the air! Volunteers we need volunteers! Callers to call them! :) I called for about an hour straight one time and got a busy single every time but I'll do it again! So did you mention to the Johns that that was my idea?! :) Jack Flansburg?! :) Anyway...all I can say is you are right For Squirrels were REALLY bad! All the dude did was scream. And he smashed his guitar which everyone knew was coming because he went over and got a different one for the last song. I didn't know Emmet Swimming got signed by Electra. thats awesome. A friend of mine might tour with them. Hmmm. ANYWAY... ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Moxy Fruvous Date: 08 Jun 1996 22:10:53 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Anyone ever heard of Moxy Fruvous? I heard they were similar to tmbg, but Canadian. Accordian, other instruments, and harmony. What do you guys know? Should I buy an album? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 17:27:49 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: Fairfax show last night. TMBG performed amazingly, but unfortunately the crowd was packed with a group of assholes who couldn't get it out of their head that they weren't at a Green Day show and even when Flans stopped to lecture them about shoving and pushing, barely anybody listened. this is the second show out of the 8 i've been to where the pushing and shoving has really disturbed my concert experience. TMBG shows used to be a bastion of considerate fun-loving people who went to the show to listen to the music and have a good time and did not go to shove people around. now i doubt that there are many people on this list who pull that crap at TMBG shows, but if there are (or if anybody here knows people that do) i am urging you to stop, and if you must shove and surf at a concert, go to any given grunge type concert and get your aggression out there at a place where being an asshole is not out of place. i'm really getting sick of this. i want to be able to have a good time at a TMBG show and it's not that easy when i'm shoved to a point of almost falling down and having people literally dropped on my head where i have to shove them off of me. i'm more than happy to discuss this, but it's just gotten to a point where i've gotten just a bit ticked off. may the force be with us all. daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 18:13:02 -0400 From: John Murray Subject: They Might Be Bull Shit or My Review of the Fairfax Show Those who were at the concert will understand the subject. I have two words that descirbe my first tmbg conecert experence: It Rocked!!!! I got there around 7:45 and wondered arround the fair, and then made it over to the stage area and bought my first tmbg shirt, and quickly changed in to it, have to be in the mood. I left the stage area and came back arround 9:15 and moved it the pit area. I spent the concert on the edge of the "mosh pit", and relitivly good spot, great view althought space got a little small at some times. I am not the kind of person who will mosh but I find it hard to stand still or even set down to thier music, but I try avoid voilent contact contact with people(slaming into, crowd surfing, etc.). I also reilize that some people don't want be involed in this and just want to be left alone, at last nights show there was a couple on the edge of the pit who was cleary just sitting and didn't want to be part of the pit, and they were continusly pushing people away who were running in to them. But over all I had great time. One thing people should know about the fair is that the tipical late night fair crowd is high school teenagers, and this may account for some of the moshing at this show. Also I didn't meet anyone new from the list at this show(I saw Leo, but know him already), which was a small disapointment. Just to re-interate That show rocked!! -John Murray johns@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sat, 08 Jun 96 19:14:02 -0400 Subject: Moshing The reason why TMBG shows are getting stupider i.e. moshers (the concerts still rule) is because TMBG is getting more popular. And so people who just like going to concerts go their to mosh. in the olden days the only ones who'd go to TMBG shows were TMBG fans. Now some people go just because trhey have heard of them and want to see them. THOSE are prob. the moshers...I think at least. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 19:12:40 -0400 Subject: Re: Monopuff video+Fingertips+OAT In a message dated 96-06-08 16:23:28 EDT, bicknell@ufp.org (Leo Bicknell) writes: > > I almost forgot. I mentioned everyone wanting to >call in and get TMBG on the air and found out there will >be a video with the single in August, so we can try for >a new video then. In the mean time Michael suggested we >do the same for the Monopuff video coming out in like >a week or two. > > If the list is interested in helping out with this >I'll get the name of the song/video and when it will >be releasted so we can start calling a day or two ahead >of time. A couple of hundred calls a day should do the >trick! > > I am very interested in this... for many reasons: 1) I was about the first one to suggest this (are you refering to me when you say Michael?) 2) There's actually a good chance we could do something with this video and get it on the air as it is actually new (unlike BHiYS) 3) I wan't to see an actual video... and I would make calls for this one... Didn't some one say that the track that was something to do with the devil was gonna be the single? I also heard the release of the single was June 10... In a message dated 96-06-08 16:31:05 EDT, rlg@metronet.com (Ray Grabeel) writes: > >Oh wow! So, are they finally going to break down and start doing this one >(one?) live? That would *rock*! I remember one show... the Nostalgia Night >show, I think, and if that's the case, I wasn't actually there, but I >have it on tape... anyways, at one point somebody yelled, "Play >Fingertips!" at which Flans snapped back, "What?! No way!" But, I can't >imagine why Graham would be learning something like Fingertips if they >weren't going to use it in their set... unless they just wanted to use it >as a sound check song, which would be a waste of a perfectly cool song >to do live... What They might do (and what they should do) is learn several of the tracks from fingertips and just play them semi-randomly between songs at concerts... Now _that_ would be cool... OAT: I was on telnet for 8 hours last night, aren't you all proud of me? a spooky man named Ike (formerly me) ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 19:21:15 -0400 Subject: Re: Moshing In a message dated 96-06-08 19:09:08 EDT, tim.clark@rma.edu writes: >The reason why TMBG shows are getting stupider i.e. moshers (the concerts >still >rule) is because TMBG is getting more popular. And so people who just like >going to concerts go their to mosh. in the olden days the only ones who'd go >to >TMBG shows were TMBG fans. Now some people go just because trhey have heard >of >them and want to see them. THOSE are prob. the moshers...I think at least. I think that I know exactly why people slamdance at tmbg concerts it's simple. They used to have a horn section and to too many people a horn section means a ska band... in fact I've heard people say aren't they a Ska band and I've heard them called Ska-ish... I wouldn't call them a ska band, but then, I'm not a brain dead moron... If I were to ever get to a tmbg show, I would be in the pit, I wouldn't be moshing, because it's just not the right kind of music, but I would be shoving stupid bastards off of me and I might even lift up some chick if she wanted to surf... does that make me an evil person? a spooky man named Ike ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: 8 Jun 1996 20:17:40 EDT Subject: Fwd: important for our kids >-- [ From: Stiles Weston * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] -- >Please take a look at this... >It is Very Important.... FORWARD THIS to all of Your Friends...After You >sign It... > This is a petition to save Sesame Street. All you do is add your name to >the > list and then forward it to everyone you know. The only time you send it >to > the included address is if you are the 50th, 100th, etc. Please be neat >and > responsible, only participate if you really want to help! > > PBS, NPR (National Public Radio), and the arts are facing major cutbacks >in > funding. In spite of the efforts of each station to reduce spending >costs and > streamline their services, the government officials believe that the fund > currently going to these programs is too large a portion of funding for > something which is seen as "unworthwhile." Currently, taxes from the >general > public for PBS equal $1.12 per person per year, and the National >Endowment > for the Arts equals $. 64 a year in total. A January 1995 CNN/USA ST>Today/Gallup ST>> poll indicated that 76% of Americans wish to keep funding for PBS, third ST>only ST>> to national defense and law enforcement as the most valuable programs for ST>> federal funding. ST>> ST>> Each year, the Senate and House Appropriations commitees each have 13 ST>> subcommitees with jurisdiction over many programs and agencies. Each ST>> subcommitee passes its own appropriation bill. The goal each year is ST>> to have each bill signed by the beginning of the fiscal year, which ST>> is October 1. In the instance of the Corporation of Public ST>> Broadcasting, the bill determines the funding for the next three ST>> years. When this ST>> issue comes up in 1996, the funding will be determined for fiscal ST>> years 1996-1998. ST>> ST>> The only way that our representatives can be aware of the base of support ST>for ST>> PBS and funding for these types of programs is by making our voices heard ST>. ST>> ST>> Please add your name to this list if you believe in what we stand for. ST>> ST>> ST>> ST>> This list will be forwarded to the President of the United States, the ST>Vice ST>> President of the United States, and Representative Newt Gingrich, who is ST>the ST>> instigator of the action to cut funding to these worthwhile programs. ST>> ST>> If you happen to be the 50th, 100th, 150th, etc. signer of this ST>> petition, please forward to : ST>> kubi7975@blue.univnorthco.edu. This way we can keep track of the ST>> lists and organize them. Forward ST>> this to everyone you know, and help us to keep these programs alive. ST>> ST>> ST>> ST>> ST>> Thank you. ST>> ST>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ST>> - ST>> ST>> 1. Elizabeth Weinert, student, University of Northern Colorado, ST>> Colorado. ST>> 2. Nikki Marchman, student, University of Northern Colorado, ST>> Colorado. ST>> 3. Laura King, Salt Lake City, Utah ST>> 4. Mary Lambert, San Francisco, CA ST>> 5. Sam Tucker, Seattle, WA ST>> 6. Steve Mack, Seattle, WA ST>> 7. Stacy Shelley, Sub Pop Records, Seattle, WA. ST>> 8. Amy Saaed, Seattle, WA ST>> 9. Jill Hudgins, Atlanta, GA ST>> 10. Alex Goolsby, student, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY ST>> 11. Aisha K. McGriff, North Carolina School of Science and Math ST>> 12. Amy Brushwood, North Carolina School of Science and Math ST>> 13. Mason Blackwell, student The College of William and Mary ST>> 14. Melinda Murphy, student, St. Mary's College of Maryland ST>> 15. Amy Raphael, student, University of Pennsylvania ST>> 16. Nancy Adleman, student, Stanford University ST>> 17. Paul Bodnar, student, Stanford University ST>> 18. Kunal Bajaj, student, University of Pennsylvania ST>> 19. Sharon Seltzer, student, University of Pennsylvania ST>> 20. Sugirtha Vivekananthan, student, University of Pennsylvania ST>> 21. Ann Wang, student, University of Pennsylvania ST>> 22. Seth Resler, student, Brown University ST>> 23. Leslie Ching, student, Brown University ST>> 24. Sylvia Barbut, student, Carnegie Mellon University ST>> 25. Karri Plotkin, student, Carnegie Mellon University ST>> 26. Kamilla Chaudh, student, Emory University ST>> 27. Jon Gordon,student,Princeton University ST>> 28. Nadine Knight, student, Princeton University ST>> 27. Erica Amianda, student, Johns Hopkins University ST>> 30. Rachel Pletcher, student, Johns Hopkins University ST>> 31. Janet Aardema, student, Davidson College ST>> 32. Kelly Kiefer, student, Davidson College ST>> 33. Jane Ruschky, student, Davidson College ST>> 34. Courtney Pace, student, Davidson College ST>> 35. Allison Patten, student, Northwestern University ST>> 36. Chad Ballentine, student, Franklin Road Academy ST>> 37. Allison Patten, student, Northwestern University ST>> 38. Rachel Allen, student, Rhodes College ST>> 39. Mary Rose Herbert, student, Guilford College ST>> 40. Christie Todd, student, Rhodes College ST>> 41. Athena Petropoulos, Rhodes College ST>> 42. Kathryn Hoang, student, Rhodes College ST>> 43. Lan To, student, Rhodes College ST>> 44. Ben Hagy, student, Reed College ST>> 45. Stephanie Marrs, student, University of Pennsylvania ST>> 46. Meg Smith, student, Rice University ST>> 47. Julian Zinn, student, University of Texas ST>> 48. Adam Talianchich, student, University of Texas ST>> 49. Michael GLazner, student, Southwestern Universirty ST>> 50. Katherine Rainwater, student, Southwestern University ST>> 51. Will O'Brien, student, Southwestern University ST>> 52. Meridith McConnell, student, Southwestern University ST>> 53. Amy Cassata, student, Trinity University ST>> 54. Heather Hanchett, student, Trinity University ST>> 55. Mike Elsner, student, Trinity University, San Antonio ST>> 56. ND Victor Carsrud, student, University of Texas Medical ST>> Branch,Galveston ST>> 57. Michael Eisenstein, Engineer, Dallas, TX ST>> 58. Tehmina Banatwala, English Teacher, Houston, TX ST>> 59. Paula Leigh Cox, Account Executive, San Antonio, TX ST>> 60. Jennifer Franks, Account executive, San Antonio, TX ST>> 61. Mike Mineo, student, UT medical school, Houston, TX ST>> 62. Andre de Launay, Amer. Grad. School of Intl.Mgmt, Glendale, AZ ST>> 63. Tawne Bachus, Thunerbird, the American Grad School of Intl. Mgmt., ST>> Glendale, AZ. ST>> 64. Ty Bachus, graphic designer, Herndon, VA ST>> 65. Thomas Inskip, software engineer, Washington, DC. ST>> 66. Dana Hollish, Green Seal ST>> 67. Neil Payne, St. Mary's College, MD ST>> 68. Douglas G. Davis, Gainesville, Fl. ST>> 69. Paula Garfinkle, Potomac, MD ST>> 70. Jeff Boodman, Falls Church, VA ST>> 71. Erica Sangster, Graduate School of Design, Cambridge MA ST>> 72. Nathalia Glickman, Graduate student, University of Oregon, Eugene, ST>> OR. ST>> 73. Chee Chan, Ex-Pat, Singapore ST>> 74. Justin Tan, University of Toronto, Canada ST>> 75. Sue Burrows, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada ST>> 76. Kelly Cox, York University, Toronto, Canada ST>> 77. Amanda Holt, Ryerson Polytechnic University, Toronto, Canada ST>> 78. Sara Fisher, University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada ST>> 79. Elliot Salmons, Ryerson Polytechnic University, Toronto, Canada ST>> 80. Dori Skye, Ryerson Polytechnic University, Toronto, Canada ST>> 81. Jana Atkins, York University, Toronto, Canada ST>> 82. Joshua Engel, McGill University, Montreal, Canada ST>> 83. Haim Gorodzinsky, McGill University, Montreal, Canada ST>> 84. Melissa Medley, Loyola University Chicago, IL ST>> 85. Kim Puhr, Loyola University Chicago, IL ST>> 86. Lena Dukic, Chicago, IL ST>> 87. Betsy Greer, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC ST>> 88. Lisa Thompson, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC ST>> 89. Ryan Emanuel, Duke University, Durham, NC ST>> 90. Gautham Venkat, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA ST>> 91. Christina Varughese, u of penn, phila, pa ST>> 92. John Varghese, student,University of Md at Baltimore County ST>> 93. Jason Putsche, student, University of Md at Baltimore County ST>> 94. Melissa Koponen, student, St John's University, Queens, NY ST>> 95. Peter C. Frank, student, New York Law School, New York, NY ST>> 96. Mark J. Bousquet, student, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY ST>> 97. Roberta E. Chase, student, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY ST>> 98. David A. Phillips, student, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY ST>> ST>> 99. James E. Charbonneau, student, Virginia Tech, VA ST>> 100. Sara M. Eells, student, Virginia Tech, VA ST>> 101. Lorraine M. DeLong, student, Virginia Tech, VA ST>> 102. Julie M. Wolf, student, Haverford College, PA ST>> 103. Cara Kupperman, student, Haverford College, PA ST>> 104. Faith Brainerd, student, Mount Holyoke College, MA ST>> 105. Maria Stotts, student, Mt. Holyoke College, MA ST>> 106. Amanda Horack, student, Mt. Holyoke College, MA ST>> 107. Lisa Knopf, student, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, CT ST>> 108. Natalie Magnino, student, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, CT ST>> 109. Anne Blandford, student, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, CT ST>> 110. Katie Schultz, Western Washington University, WA ST>> 111. Jo E. Roberts, Boston University, MA ST>> 112. Erica T. Choinski, student, Boston University, MA. ST>> 113. Aynsley L. Hamel, student, Gettysburg College, PA ST>> 114. Carrie M. Pirmann, student, Gettysburg College, PA ST>> 115. Amy J. Pearson, student, Wittenberg University, Springfield, OH ST>> ST>> 116. Meg Pedersen, student, Wittenberg University, Springfield, OH ST>> 117. Dan Schmidt, student, Kent State University, OH ST>> 118. jason bryant, student, kent state university, kent, oh ST>> 119. Thania Ardinez, student, Bowling Green State University, OH ST>> 120. Tony Howard, Bowling Green State Univer., OH ST>> 121. Glenn Burris, Aardvark Video Productions, Findlay, OH ST>> 122. Jerry Sisser, Aardvark Video Productions, Findlay, OH ST>> 123. Dave Whittle, Knoxville, TN ST>> 124. Phillip Brooks, Knoxville, TN ST>> 125. Virginia Boeing, Knoxville, TN ST>> 126. Melanie Jeffreys, Knoxville, TN ST>> 127. Cindy Van Mouwerik, San Diego, CA ST>> 128. Tina Vasquez, San Diego, CA ST>> 129. Cindy Webb, San Diego, CA ST>> 130. Coni Bilyeu, San Diego, CA ST>> 131. Sandra Abbott, San Diego, CA ST>> 132. Angelina Williams, San Diego, CA ST>> 133. Kenneth R. Segel, Escondido, CA ST>> 134. Christine Haunschild-McLane, Los Altos, CA ST>> 135. Dorothy S. Liu, University of Washington, Seattle, WA ST>> 136. Suling Wang, San Francisco, CA. ST>> 137. Nathaniel Bletter, enginner, San Francisco, CA ST>> 138. Hayley Nelson, Wired, San Francisco, CA ST>> 139. Susan Walton, ISN, Palo Alto, CA ST>> 140. Margo Stack, SF Business Times, San Francisco, CA ST>> 141. Ronny Knight, McCann Erickson, San Francisco, CA ST>> 142. luis pena, graphic designer, new york, ny ST>> 143. Jennifer Ranaudo, Cleveland State University, OH ST>> 144. Kevin Kerwin, Cleveland, OH ST>> 145. Jason Beattie, San Mateo, CA ST>> 146. Jennifer Khaw, Oracle Corporation, Redwood Shores, CA ST>> 147. Carolyn Valentine-Rapp, Denver CO ST>> 148. Katie McCabe, Oracle Corp. Boston, MA. ST>> 149. Kate Doyle, Oracle Corp, Chicago IL ST>> 150. Amy Frankel, Oracle Corp, Redwood Shores, CA ST>> 151. Seth Mellman - Sherman Oaks, CA ST>> 152. Mara Isaacs - Princeton, NJ ST>> 152. Dana Axelrod - Sherman Oaks, CA ST>> 153. Susan Blanchard - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 154. Phillip Williams - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 155. Bruce A. Williams - Burbank, CA ST>> 156. Jacqueline Roberts Gordon - Valley Village, CA ST>> 157. Naila Ajmal - Altadena, CA ST>> 158. Eileen Aguirre - West Covina, CA ST>> 159. Stacie Iverson - Burbank, CA ST>> 160. Michelle Walker - Studio City, CA ST>> 161. Pamela Waterman - Glendale, CA ST>> 162. Dorothy McKim - Santa Clarita, CA ST>> 163. Susie Jacobs - Canyon Country, CA ST>> 164. Eleanor Moye - Burbank, CA ST>> 165. Brenda Fowler, Glendale, CA ST>> 166. Mindy Weiss -Los Angeles, CA ST>> 167. Andrea Wertheim - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 168. John Egan - LA, CA. ST>> 169. Jon Weisman - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 170. Keith Relkin - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 171. Stephanie Mangano - Northridge, CA ST>> 172. Stephen Pomerantz - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 173. Elizabeth MacLeod - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 174. Debbie Hall - Los Angeles, CA ST>> 175. Grace Serizawa - Burbank, CA ST>> 176. T.W. Miller - Glendale, CA ST>> 177. Henry Fernandez - Pasadena, CA ST>> 178. Todd Lituchy - Burbank, CA ST>> 179. Sarah Dohrmann - Burbank, CA ST>> 180. Keith Westmoreland - Burbank, CA ST>> 181. Patricia Atamian - Burbank, CA ST>> 182. Jason DeLeo- Burbank, CA ST>> 183. Bing Futch-Orlando, Florida-Producer ST>> 184. Katie Hartmann-Student, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL ST>> 185. bryce wunder, student of Florida International Univ, Miami AND VOTER ST>186. Stiles Weston, Senior John I. Leonard, H.S, and VOTER 187. Amanda G. Douberly, Student-FL 188. Brittany L. Mihalik-Student-FL cc: IN:xrdv32b@prodigy.com IN:ahell@inch.com IN:PackageThf@aol.com IN:ged21585@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu IN:AfghanWhi9@aol.com IN:Rwears@msn.com IN:KelleyPK@aol.com IN:Rachels@perry.gulfnet.com IN:PossumDixon@earthlink.net IN:Baskaran@iu.net IN:tmbg-list@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 21:52:25 -0400 Subject: TMBG at the Maryland Science Center! I was at the Maryland Science Center taday with my science club, and there was this exhibit on topology called "New Minimal Surfaces Dancing to Music," basically the idea was that the 3-D images were manipulated into wierd shapes to compliment music being played...there was Jimi Hendrix (I forget which song), "Kashmir," by The Ordinaires, and couple of others...there was also.... PARTICLE MAN! You can bet I freaked when I heard it! In a science center of all places...it was really wierd and really cool...if anyone has a camcorder, lives in the Baltimore area, and wants to do a service to humanity, they could always find the exhibit and record it for posterity. And before anyone asks why they didn't use Spiralling Shape instead of Particle Man, this exhibit was made before Brain Candy came out. -Dan --Just another Nyquil Driver on the information superhighway ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: concert on Friday! Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 23:32:17 -0400 (EDT) heyalls, Well I attended the concert in the suburbs of DC yesterday at the Fairfax County Fair. It was a rather excellent show, quite a success. Fran Koiner was nice enough to drive down from PA with her sister and 2 friends and gimme a ride (Thanks Fransburg!) We ended being in the first row right up against this stupid fence that would not stop certain moshers from pushing it down were it not for the security guards. They also had this very annoying screen taht came down that was used to reflect a laser light that nearly blinded me. TMBG ended up playing a 1 1/2 show right after Emmitt Swimming and For Squirrels played. They played some of the new songs, Older, Sing like a Girl (which totally rocked!), Sensurround (kinda new) and they were supposed to play XTC vs Adam Ant as it said on Fran's setlist (you lucky devil 8-) but they did not play that. They also played BTO's Takin Care of Business which was wild. They didn't know what key to play in so Flans asked Linnell and Linnell said, "You tell me, Jack Flansburg!" Also, being rather close to Flans I noticed his HUGE calf muscles, he w3as really bouncing up on the stage, must really have his leg muscles in good shape! The crowd surfers were horrible, we tried to scare them off but it didn't work all the way. At the end Flans came out and said kind of half-heartedly, "You've been a great crowd". They were throwing all the surfers out too. Another stupid thing was that they had probably the entire Fairfax polic department there to handle the crowd. But besides all that and nearly having my neck slam due to a surfer it was a really good show. They also played James K. Polk which was excellent. I didn't get to see anyone there except the people I went with, missed Leo, and my friend's Mike and Brad but we had a good time. The fair was pretty large and cool too. Ahh I await the August 16 DC concert and the June 27 Mono Puff concert in DC! For anyone interest4ed there is a Specials concert in DC at the 9:30 club on Monday, you just might see me there. Adios amigos! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 09 Jun 96 00:09:53 -0400 Subject: Mono Puff HEY! The Mono Puff album is to be released on what date? Hmm??? Someone tell me please!! "You don't know Jack Flansburg!" <<<<----now trademark quote. --Tim ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: mono Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 00:41:08 -0400 (EDT) About the Monopuff release, I dunno if it is the 10th or 11th, but at least here in Baltimore all new CDs make it to the music stores on Tuesdays so that would be June 11. I always thought this was a universla thing but maybe it differs depending on where you live? I agree with the fellow who said that the fair brought out young kids who just want to mosh. After all it was not an exclusive TMBG show. I doubt that Linnell would be at the Monopuff show, after all he realy has nothing to do with it, it is purely Flans's band. Although it would rock to see him there, maybe in the audience ;) I await hearigng the new Monopuff songs, I have heard the Hello CD ones, and although I didn't .ike them as much as the States songs I still enjoy that thoroughly. I wonder if Linnell will do what Flans is doing? My guess would be no as he does not seem to have a band like Flans has with Monopuff. Does anyone know when the Mayors of NYC Linnell project is due out with Hello? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Science Center Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 00:45:06 -0400 (EDT) Wow I must go down to the Science Center as I live in Baltimore and check out New Minimal Surfaces Dancing to Music! Even though Particle Man is not my fav of TMBG songs I'd love to hear any reference to TMBG anywhere! Dan (who posted this), where do you live? Does this exhibit only come on at certain times? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Blueoven@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 00:50:00 -0400 Subject: Which Describes How You're Feeling All The Time It seems to me that however this person is feeling all the time is an emotion that rhymes with "overseas". She says she's feeling fine, but it really doesn't rhyme with "overseas". Maybe displeased? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 02:27:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: concert on Friday! Well, I guess it's time for me to put in my two cents about the concert. I can sum it up really easily: it rocked. The last show I was at was at Lisner Auditorium in 10/94, and it's good to see that they've refined their show away from such songs as Number 3 and Extra Savoir Faire (not that these aren't great songs, but they aren't great concert songs). I kind of expected them to play Spiralling Shape - maybe they did play it... I wouldn't have recognized it anyway, except for the fact that it probably contains the words "Spiralling Shape in it." Favorite lines of the concert: "Put that guy down. He never did anything to you," "When I was driving once I saw this " - hard to describe it. I kind of miss some of the older stuff, though - even the more recent older stuff, like the Statue Got Me High and Whistling in the Dark. I was surprised that they didn't play Your Racist Friend or the Famous Polka - I always thought those were fairly standard. I also noticed that the show was very fast paced - almost no breaks between songs, except for the long intros to Ana Ng and Istanbul. I think the biggest disappointment for me was that the Accordion only showed up in four songs. He's proven that he can play any of their songs on it, and besides, the live versions don't have to necessarily sound like the recorded versions - I like hearing an accordionized version of Ana Ng. (ok, so I'm a bit partial to the accordion since I play it, but still - it's part of their history, really - without it they'd be just a regular band, with nothing unusual) Y'know, I just noticed that I put a quote in the wrong place up above. But I can't change it because I have a lousy mail program. Oh well. You'll all know what I meant. I would have a tape of the show, except for two things: 1. It didn't come out that great - I was using a video camera because I knew it would be easy to get into the fair with it and it has a good mic - too good a mic. It picked up every single word I said, most of which were side comments, like immediately before Ana Ng, "Hey, they haven't played anything from Lincoln, have they?" and 2. My father wiped out everything up through Birdhouse - I had the tape in the VCR, thinking he wouldn't be dumb enough to hit record, especially after seeing me working with it. I hadn't transferred it to audio tape yet. But what I was able to salvage - about 2/3 of the show, could have been better. I'll probably help to patch those versions that have breaks in them or whatever, with what I've got left... Sorry for posting such a long message, but I felt like saying all that... :) ------------------------------ From: justin@csgi.com (Justin Higgins) Subject: TMBG CD-ROM? Date: 09 Jun 1996 01:32:13 GMT Organization: digitalNATION Internet Services Hey all..... Why doesn't TMBG put out a CD-ROM? Linnell definately likes Macs, so he'd probably be into it. And a lot of TMBG fans would probably buy it. It seems like a natural extension of their stuff. Does anyone know who you'd need to contact who either works for Them or Elektra to talk about it? -Justin =========================================================== Computer Services Group,Inc. http://www.dn.net Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise ph:(703)642-2800 fax:(703)642-0516 email:justin@csgi.com =========================================================== ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-161 ******************************