Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-162 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 162 Monday, 10 June 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG CD-ROM Re: TMBG CD-ROM? TMBG and 'Puters Fw: Analogies--the worst Web Workers Cd rom, and some moron who can't spell Re: TMBG and 'Puters Flans? TMBG and 'Puters Re: mono Re: Moshing Re: TMBG CD-ROM? moshing and monopuff hypercard sstack friday Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-161 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-161 Re: hypercard sstack Elektra Re: TMBG CD-ROM? Hyper Henry Re: Hyper Henry The Fairfax Fair show, and how much ass it kicked. Re: About this weird stuff... Re: Dead Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-161 First album Erik First album Re: Hyper Henry (none) This hypercard thingy Re: First Album Favorites TMBG in general... Re: Favorites Re: Favorites (none) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 09 Jun 96 03:25:00 -0400 Subject: TMBG CD-ROM YES! A CD ROM would rock. Interviews, FAQ, videos of songs...def. a cool idea. Linnel likes Macs? Hes just trying to be weird...uhh right? :) Hmmmm.... --Tim ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 03:29:42 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: TMBG CD-ROM? that would be the best if their new album was also a cd rom, you know like some other group did? bush i think >Hey all..... > >Why doesn't TMBG put out a CD-ROM? Linnell definately likes Macs, so he'd >probably be into it. And a lot of TMBG fans would probably buy it. It >seems like a natural extension of their stuff. Does anyone know who you'd >need to contact who either works for Them or Elektra to talk about it? > >-Justin >=========================================================== > Computer Services Group,Inc. http://www.dn.net >Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services > Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise >ph:(703)642-2800 fax:(703)642-0516 email:justin@csgi.com >=========================================================== > =================== AmY seta@spectra.net =================== C\_/ *I didn't apologize for when i was 8 and i made my younger brother have to be my personal slave....Now it's over i'm dead and i haven't done anything that i want...Or i'm still alive and there's nothing i want to do....* C\_/ anangel@tmbg.org () amy@tmbg.org () seta@spectra.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 05:02:54 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG and 'Puters On the subject of Linnell liking/not liking Macs... I can't remember, but I know it's been said. Was it Flansy or Linnell that wrote the John Henry Hypercard stack? -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Fw: Analogies--the worst Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 04:58:06 -0700 : : WINNERS OF THE "WORST ANALOGIES EVER WRITTEN IN A HIGH SCHOOL : ESSAY" CONTEST : : He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, : like a guy who : went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of : those boxes : with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking : at high : schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without : one of those : boxes with a pinhole in it. (Joseph Romm, Washington) : : She caught your eye like one of those pointy hook latches that : used to : dangle from screen doors and would fly up whenever you banged : the door open : again. (Rich Murphy, Fairfax Station) : : The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way : a bowling : ball wouldn't. (Russell Beland, Springfield) : : McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty Bag : filled with : vegetable soup. (Paul Sabourin, Silver Spring) : : >From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an : eerie, surreal : quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and : "Jeopardy" comes : on at 7 p.m. instead of 7:30. (Roy Ashley, Washington) : : Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze. : (Chuck Smith, : Woodbridge) : : Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the : center. : (Russell Beland, Springfield) : : Bob was as perplexed as a hacker who means to access : T:flw.quid55328.com\aaakk/ch@ung but gets : T:\flw.quidaaakk/ch@ung by mistake (Ken Krattenmaker, Landover : Hills) : : Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever. (Unknown) : : He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree. (Jack Bross, : Chevy Chase) : : The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when : you fry them : in hot grease. (Gary F. Hevel, Silver Spring) : : Her date was pleasant enough, but she knew that if her life was : a movie this : guy would be buried in the credits as something like "Second : Tall Man." : (Russell Beland, Springfield) : : Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced : across the : grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one : having left : Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from : Topeka at 4:19 : p.m. at a speed of 35 mph. (Jennifer Hart, Arlington) : : The politician was gone but unnoticed, like the period after : the Dr. on a Dr : Pepper can. (Wayne Goode, Madison, Ala.) : : They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket : fences that : resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth (Paul Kocak, Syracuse, N.Y.) : : John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds : who had also : never met. (Russell Beland, Springfield) : : The thunder was ominous-sounding, much like the sound of a thin : sheet of : metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play. : (Barbara : Fetherolf, Alexandria) : : His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances : like : underpants in a dryer without Cling Free. (Chuck Smith, : Woodbridge) : : The red brick wall was the color of a brick-red Crayola crayon. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Web Workers Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 12:35:24 -0400 (EDT) Well, in a fit of stupidity last night I managed to delete the mail folder I had saved all the messages from people interested in working on the web site, which made it very hard for me to get all of their addresses and mail them. I am finally ready to start working on updating the site so if you wanted to work on the site and or uploaded graphics to me before please drop me a note so I have your address and give me a brief list of your skills again. I'll give people a couple of days to respond and then give out some tasks. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: 9 Jun 1996 12:46:32 EDT Subject: Cd rom, and some moron who can't spell SE>that would be the best if their new album was also a cd rom, SE> you know like some other group did? bush i think The new Galaxie 500 box set that is coming out in September is going to include a cd rom also. I found this in the Weekend section of the Florida Times Union on Friday: "MANO Puff "Unsupervised" (Rykodisc) features John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants fame, due out June 11th." Mano Puff? hehee ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 13:10:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG and 'Puters As I recall, they both use Macs, they used to use a Mac to help record the albums, they have Dial-A-Song set up on a Mac, and Linnell used a Mac to program the John Henry Hypercard stack. RS ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 09 Jun 96 13:43:01 -0400 Subject: Flans? I thought Flans programmed the hyper card stack? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 02:21:17 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: TMBG and 'Puters >On the subject of Linnell liking/not liking Macs... >Was it Flansy or Linnell that >wrote the John Henry Hypercard stack? It was definitly Linnell. mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 14:54:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: mono you know, i just had a really cooooolio thought, guys! you know how we're complaining about too many non-fans moshing and being idiots in general at TMBG shows...? well, at mono-puff, we dont have anything to worry about!! people who doesnt know a lot about TMBG won't have heard of mono-puff--so we're safe at Flansy's shows, at least for a little while! hoorya! now i really want to go to mono-puff! hooray for pure, unadulterated Flans viewing!! see you there! --fransburgh! (someone tell me if this has an "h" or not?) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:47:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Moshing > I think that I know exactly why people slamdance at tmbg concerts it's > simple. They used to have a horn section and to too many people a horn > section means a ska band... in fact I've heard people say aren't they a Ska > band and I've heard them called Ska-ish... I wouldn't call them a ska band, > but then, I'm not a brain dead moron... I'm sorry, but this post necessitates a response. If there is one thing that is NOT tolerated at a ska show, it is slamming. You might be thinking of the abysmal crap that's being touted as ska these days (Goldfinger, No Doubt, recent Mighty Mighty Bosstones), but you won't find too many Rudies, Skins, Mods (or people who just like ska) at their shows. One of the reasons I've preferred any given ska show (Lettuce Boy, Johnny Too Bad, Pietasters, and a hundred others) to the TMBG shows I've attended is that the people who come haven't come with the intent of hurting others. For the most part, they just want to skank, hear some good music, and have a good time. Oddly enough, the majority of these people are trendy high school kids, but even they have gotten it into their heads that slamming at a ska show is not cool. I only wish that the some of these TMBG listeners (I hesitate to call them fans, because if they were, they would respect the wishes of John and John) were as smart. -Slacker Ng (Who wishes he'd seen John and John back in the good old days). ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:32:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: TMBG CD-ROM? i awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > that would be the best if their new album was also a cd rom, > you know like some other group did? bush i think uh, like ALL those other bands did... barenaked ladies, the rolling stones, moby,... going on and on, frank ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 16:37:39 -0400 Subject: moshing and monopuff Moshing has definitely become quite a nuisance at TMBG shows. At my first one, at Wolftrap in June 1994, there was pretty much no moshing, surfing, or anything. It was nice and peaceful. Same thing at the Lisner show (Oct 1994) and the Shriver Hall show (March1995). But at the 9:30 Club in Jan. 1996, many people were moshing. Both Johns got hugely pissed off, and though they couldn't really curse at the people in the crowd, you could tell how dipleased they were. It just ruins a show when people do that. The whole purpose of a TMBG show is to listen to the music, not to hurt people. Some people just don't understand... Anyway, I'll probably be at the monopuff show on the 27 in DC. I was thinking about bringing a big sign that will say "All mailing listers come over here." That way, we could all meet each other. Bye for now - Neal ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: hypercard sstack Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:45:18 -0400 (EDT) Maybe I don't quite think as highly of Linnell as I thought? After all, if he uses a Mac.. ;) hehe Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: friday Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:50:07 -0400 (EDT) They did not play Spiralling Shape in Fairfax, although I thought they were going to when they played Sensurround. It was kind of a surprise that they played that but it was very cool to hear it, even if they left out a part of the song. As for the Famous Polka, they have not played that in ages. That song did rock live but they just don't seem to play it anymore, sorta like No One Knows My Plan. As for my parents and recording on the VCR, I don't think they even want to learn how to press the record button, so I'm kinda glad of that, yet I'm kinda not cause my mom always tries to get me to tape everything ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 09:54:52 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-161 Hey hey, >Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 05:49:52 +0700 >From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) >Subject: Hey Aussies! > >Hello Aust/NZ TMBG fans, I just wanted to mention that I am here in the >list too. I have been busy turning 21, but I wanted to tell you about my >shirt. It is white, with a blue and orange swirly logo on the front and a b >& w picture of some kid's face on the back. I haven't seen anyone else in >Sydney with it! I know the one and have it myself. I'm not gunna go on like our fellow TMBG fans and tell you who that kid on the back is. It sickens me when they think they are soooo good!!! :) By the way... Where did ya get your shirt? Coz, surely there would be more to had from that source!!! :) Please don't tell me it was at the concert!!! >Oh yeah, I saw the Cockroaches tonight at the Castle Hill >Tavern. Did you know that four of the guys from the Cockroaches are also >members of the Wiggles?! They did quite a few Wiggles tracks tonight too. Hey yeah. Apparently they're having more success as the Wiggles than the Cockroaches!!! :) Oh well, how was the concert? Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:00:48 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-161 Hey there people that care... Can someone tell me who Electra is? I never heard of them before and so many of you seem to talk about them!!!! Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:59:03 -0500 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: hypercard sstack >Maybe I don't quite think as highly of Linnell as I thought? After >all, if he uses a Mac.. ;) hehe >Matt Hey now, don't be dissin Macs. :P -Jim ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 09 Jun 96 21:41:40 -0400 Subject: Elektra Elektra my son is a humungi record company. Who TMBG are signed under. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 20:45:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Ray Grabeel Subject: Re: TMBG CD-ROM? On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Amy wrote: > that would be the best if their new album was also a cd rom, > you know like some other group did? bush i think Well, if they put out a music CD that was also a CD ROM, you probably wouldn't be able to listen to it on shuffle mode. And do we really want to be forced to only listen to an album in it's original order? Think about it, won't you? Ray -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ray Grabeel "There are exActly rlg@metronet.com three errors in http://www.metronet.com/~rlg/ this sentance." =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ Date: 09 Jun 96 21:51:26 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Hyper Henry Hey. Is the only way to get the JH hypercard stcak from aol? If it is could someone upload it to an ftp or something so I can get it? ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:00:48 -0400 Subject: Re: Hyper Henry Ok, time to admit my flaming ignorance and ask--What exactly is a hypercard stack? I saw it on the Elektra page a long time ago, but never bothered to find out. Hoping she's not the only ignorant one, Kay ------------------------------ From: Mooseician@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:55:29 -0400 Subject: The Fairfax Fair show, and how much ass it kicked. In fact, I'd have to say that the Fairfax Fair show kicked the buttknob of doom. I especially liked the part when Linnell said "Oh, fuck!" and there was wild applause. =) hmm, what else? How Can I Sing Like a Girl? is probably my favorite of the new bunch, but in any case I think Their new album is definitely going to kick. Can't wait. Oh, and I think it was during that song that the debate came up - did he say "bivalve"? I'm not sure, because I was pretty sure the rest of the line went "spotlights shining on my ". Sleeping in the Flowers was particularly good, I thought, and of course WDTSS is always a thrill to hear live, and I tangoed for joy when They played James K. Polk. Ooh, and SenSurround was even cooler than I'd imagined. Neep. That'll have to be all - it's late and I need sleep. Moose thatbluething@tmbg.org "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher!" ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:18:06 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: About this weird stuff... I always thought that's exactly what THeY were trying to do: Make good music. Of course they've failed for the blunt point that good would be a major understatement. Much like if they told Jesus "Hey, you just carry this tree up this hill while we spit at you and then you could just kinda hang out." If THeY were trying to surpass good music, then their mission is accomplished. BTW: I too have spoken with John Linnel. I hate coffee, but I would still drink his backwash. Hell, I'd have a sex change... oh wait, we've done that one before. Oh well, you don't want to know how far I'd go for the Johns, my mighty and godly lords. Deos gracios, Johnos. Brother John Blackhawk. ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:28:58 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Dead To quote Linnel when asked in the newsletter what kind of animal he would like to come back as: "A delicious steak dinner". Brother John Blackhawk ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:01:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason L. Ivey" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-161 If this Eric guy is playing guitar for TMBG, then what is Flans doing? -Jason +--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ | J A S O N L. I V E Y | "Every jumbled pile of person has a | |--------------------------------------| thinking part that wonders what the | | http://cse.utoledo.edu/~jivey | part that isn't thinking isn't | | jivey@cse.utoledo.edu ><> | thinking of." -They Might Be Giants | +--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:19:33 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: First album I was just curious as to how rare it is for They to play the entire first album at a show? I've only been to one show about four years ago, and they did it then, and my ex-girlfriend went to a show last year, and they did played it that time too. Freak occurence or commonplace? Also, I'd like to join Kay in ignorance. I've also seen the term hypercard stack a few times and never had the guts to ask about it. The net can be a cruel place to the uninformed. So, could one of you friendly people fill us in? I'll give you a dollar. On the mosh thread, I can only say there was no problem back in ancient times when I went, but I agree that the ska theory ain't too likely. Ska folk can enjoy the hell out of some dancin', but definitely NOT violence. It probably just is that They are more popular, so more people come. When you have more people, you just get more assholes per capita. Tragic. ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Erik Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:36:19 -0400 (EDT) > > If this Eric guy is playing guitar for TMBG, then what is Flans doing? Actually, my friend and I were wondering the same thing. He does not play on all of the songs and when he does he doesn't play anything super spectacular. I've seen him at a few shows and was never overly impressed. I guess Flans wanted some extra rhythm guitaring or something in there? I dunno. Maybe they're just fooling around and seeing what they can do with various musicians. They seem to be more eclectic these days just grabbing various musicians from different bands and such. I'd still like to see the horns come back. I do think Brian has always done a great job and Graham is a wonderful bassist and I sure hope he stays with them. Flans continues to guitar and Linnell continues to keyboard and accordianize (although less lately it seems). Oh and very little saxiphoning and a little clarineting describes Linnell's current description. As well as other instruments that I can't think of now, I think. This paragraph really sucked grammatically I have determined! blah, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: First album Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:40:15 -0400 (EDT) > > I was just curious as to how rare it is for They to play the entire first > album at a show? I've only been to one show about four years ago, and they > did it then, and my ex-girlfriend went to a show last year, and they did > played it that time too. Freak occurence or commonplace? Unimaginable is one way to describe it. Impossible is another way;) The day they play the entire first album at a concert is the day I join the Hare Krisnas or Amish or any other stock religious extremist band. And the day I give $1000000 to Marlboro cigarettes (as I hate cigs with a passion ;) Of course, I am crossing my fingers as there is a 1/10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 chance that this will ever happen again. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 12:55:50 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Hyper Henry >Ok, time to admit my flaming ignorance and ask--What exactly is a hypercard >stack? >I saw it on the Elektra page a long time ago, but never bothered to find out. Its hard to explain. Hypercard is a program for the Macintosh in which you can ...`make' programs with somewhat simple scripting language. The whole thing has a `rolodex' feel in which you page your way through each part of the `program' like pages in a book. So, they call them stacks instead of programs, because they are like a `stack' of cards, or rolodex cards, or whatever. I never did see the linnell stack because me binhex program disappeared so I couldn't convert it. Anyhow, I think it was just a collection of songs/samples as well as some sort of written info/entertainment. Not sure, you'll have to ask some other buttknob. Mike (Leahcim) ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 13:02:49 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Now, I was thinking the other day. Well, actually, I was shitting, which is how the whole thing got on my mind. We've discused the possibility of many definitions, but it seems we've left a rather important one out. Let me explain through the following senario: You wake up early in the morning and stagger to the bathroom. Pulling your boxers (panties?) down, you settle into your favorite chair, grab a magazine, and begin to pee. You soon realize that ain't all your going to do. Straining like a mother in labor, you push yesterdays lunch out the hatch and kiss it farewell... but wait, its still here. It soon becomes apparent that you have a problem, your fecal presentation has gotten itself lodged. Half in, half out, it hangs. It protrudes in a very unique, almost......knobbish way. Hmmmmm.... Could this be...a buttknob?? Welp, it t'is getting late. Think it over, lemme know what you think. mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:08:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: This hypercard thingy According to my knowledge, which is sufficiently less than I like to think, a hypercard stack is an interactive graphics/text type thing? I only briefly worked with them in a class I had, and I didn't read any manuals/directions/etc., so I may be thinking of something entirely different. Trying to make the world a better place, Amy :) Amy Greenlese * Spreading the words of _o:[ cowtown@tmbg.org * THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS = O| http://www.onu.edu/~stu1336 * throughout the world! =o_| ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:08:43 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: Re: First Album Well, start shavin' your head and light up, my friend, because at both of these shows,(one in Ventura, CA and one in Philly,PA) they started off Their set playing the entire first album, starting from track one and not stopping until "why,why,why". Unfortunately, at the show I went to, no one in the audience new anything but Particle Man, so the Johns were pretty disappointed. They also couldn't find a single song on the radio for their little game, so all in all, They had a pretty bad time. I don't recall them ever coming back to Ventura. I wonder why? ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:18:19 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: Favorites Well, damn, I'm bored out of my mind, so I guess I'll post again. I'd like to take a little unofficial poll. ( I have been known to take a large pole, but I always have an official nearby to judge my performance). I was just curious about people's favorite TMBG lines, whether it's because they are meaningful or ingenius or clever or funny or whatever. Now I'm not the type that looks too deeply into all of Their lyrics ( some people try just a little too hard for my blood), but my personal favorite line is "Life is a placebo, masquerading as a simile." Reasons I Should Not Do This: 1) I'm somewhat new here, and this may have been done before. Response: I've seen some other new faces around and, hope against hope, maybe they might be interested in playing along. 2) It's somewhat redundant with so many people having quotes in their signatures. Response: Well, not everybody does, so the rest of us should get a chance to share. Those with sigs can post there second favorites. 3) Why would anyone want to do this? Response: Well, everyone jumped on the "buttknob" bandwagon, so why not try this? 4) I don't know, it still seems like a pretty lame idea. Response: Fine! I give up! I didn't expect some sort of Spanish Inquisition! Just forget the whole thing. I'm just a lousy poopbutt. I'll be crawling back in my hole now... ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: TMBG in general... Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:27:43 -0500 (CDT) I've been worried for awhile about the addition of a band to TMBG... Looking at recent trends towards moshing and the duo going off to do their seperate things, I'm getting even more worried. Don't get me wrong - I really like their new band sound, but consider this... I really hate to say it, but it seems to me that TMBG (I can see the flames coming...) has started to trend towards the mainstream. I mean, take a look at their earlier songs, etc.... _WIERD_ stuff... I mean, there's chord changes and really strange melodies that just make you go, "what?!" And it's beautiful... I've got a really good friend who went to one of Their shows a long time ago, and all They used for the concert was an accordian and a sitar..... Beautiful stuff! Spontaneous! Brilliant! But do you think They'd be able to do that now? With all the new things that They're doing with their band, They've suddenly become a little more harmonious.... Think about it; there's really very little dischord in JH... Most of Their albums have had at least one song that was really just right out... Like Toddler Hiway, They Might be Giants, Fingertips, Shoehorn w/ Teeth... Heck, even track 13 on Misc. T.... What's really, really strange about JH? It's perhaps a little bit darker lyric-wise than most of the other albums, barring Lincoln, of course... O Do not Forsake me, wonderful song though it is, isn't even performed by They.... Stompbox merely encourages moshing, for all I can tell..... It seems to me that it's straight out of a "Here's how to play alternative music even though there's really not much of it left anymore" book.... The lyrics could have been set to something Trent Reznor or Marylin Manson (yummy!, however...) would have had fun with, and the style musically has been done so often it got old really quickly.... Now, please before you pounce on me, >>>>> I DO LIKE THIS NEW SOUND <<<<< I'm not saying "ditch the band, guys... Do what _I_ think is right...." That's not what I'm trying to say at all... I'm glad that They're experimenting with new sounds and ideas, but I think that the full band, at least (I hope) until they figure out how to work well together, is going to hold them back musically. Yes, I know Spy has a really cool ending.... Listen to Flood for awhile... same thing. The End of the Tour had the same groove that Don't Let's Start did. Now lyrically, I can't complain about Their trends at all. I was a little worried about the overall darkness of the album at first (again, in my interpretation, it's a little more of an invitation for people to mosh) until I took a closer look at Lincoln.... Then there's the mono puff thing.... could the band be somehow related to the solitary works of the Great Duo? Is it something of an excuse to get away from each other? Are They running out of ideas and think that They might have to move on individually? The cryptic lyrics at the end of The End of the Tour (fun phrase!) seem to echo frighteningly around in my head: "we're never gonna tour again...." Together? Apart? Without the full band? With the band? This huge long letter thing has become a little too unwiedly for it's own good. Most of you probably haven't even read this far and are jumping right to the flaming already... I guess what I really need to get off my chest is a little warning to They.... Not as if it'll ever get to them, but saying it to _someone_ who at least might be interested in what I have to say will help.... Please, experiment... Find a different voice, do some things that you haven't done before, but don't lose sight of your original, beautiful spontinaety and bounciness. Remember who you used to be, and if you decide it's not for you in the future, then so be it, and I'll follow you wherever you go. But if you blindly jump in without stopping to consider what you might be losing in the process... Weigh both sides, balance them out... Fop. Burble. Well, to those of you who've actually read through the whole thing, my apologies for yet another example of soapbox preaching and venting, please don't take any of this personally, please don't flame the heck out of me, and thank you very much for taking the time out of an otherwise busy schedule to listen to what I had to say.... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:56:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: Re: Favorites Well, I don't have my fave line in my signature, I'm also new here, and it's 2 am so this seems like a good idea to me. Plus, I just found it this afternoon while listening to the pink album. In "She's An Angel", I like the third line: "(But) everyone was acting normal, so I tried to look nonchalant" Why do I like this line? I've been in the same position -- I tend to be a bit hyper sometimes, so if everyone else is acting normal, I sometimes try to look nonchalant. :) I know this doens't have anything to do with the song, but oh well. There, now you have my $0.02 Amy Greenlese * Spreading the words of _o:[ cowtown@tmbg.org * THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS = O| http://www.onu.edu/~stu1336 * throughout the world! =o_| ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Favorites Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:57:29 -0500 (CDT) > little too hard for my blood), but my personal favorite line is "Life is a > placebo, masquerading as a simile." Actually, that happens to be my favorite as well, although "Universe man, universe man, size of the entire universe, man!" line has always struck my fancy as well... It just seems to _work_ so well with the song, and grammatically, and...... yeah. I should have been asleep two hours ago.... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:05:20 +0200 to: RE: Various stuff >fingertips of all things...something he was just learning >how to play. He didn't realize they were seperate tracks, >I think he'll be putting Apollo 18 on shuffle play as >soon as he gets back. :-) You should think yourselves lucky - on German-produced copies of the album (ie. the only ones you can buy in Europe) Fingertips isn't "made up of" separate tracks - just one long single track. >Also, being rather close to Flans I noticed his HUGE calf muscles, Well, I've never heard it called THAT before! (More tea vicar?) >About the Monopuff release, I dunno if it is the 10th or 11th, but at >least here in Baltimore all new CDs make it to the music stores on >Tuesdays so that would be June 11. I always thought this was a >universla thing but maybe it differs depending on where you live? Sorry to have to say it, but I've already got my copy - I bought it on the 8th, which would suggest it's been out here at least since the 5th. Everything's quicker and more efficient in Germany you see..... I'm a bit narked that the album's only 30 mins long but other than that it's great (what with Oasis AND Mono Puff using "Hello, Hello" I'm beginning to wonder whether we're heading for a Gary Glitter revival.... nasty, and I thought we'd seen the last of leather codpieces - unless you count "Manowar" - HARGH!) Fritz ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-162 ******************************