Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-163 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 163 Tuesday, 11 June 1996 Today's Topics: (none) Favourite TMBG quotes. Hey Mr. Buttknob, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal Re: your mail (none) Regarding TMBG CD-ROM Re: your mail Self called nowhere.... ska concerts. Favorites Re: Hyper Henry Re: Favorites I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: TMBG CD-ROM? Re: Favorites Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Re: Buttknobs/First Album ATTENTION FRIENDS OF BUTTKNOB! Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Re: Buttknobs/First Album back to back songs Re: back to back songs Donations Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: Favorites'Favorites'Favorites Mono Puff concert in NJ!@ Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! No Mono Puff Don't make me kill you again.... Re: Moshing Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Yeehah Re: Moshing Re: TMBG in general... TMBG and the mainstream Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Re: Buttknobs/First Album A Plea for Sanitary Re: Favourite TMBG quotes. Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: Buttknobs/First Album Favorite Lines Frankenberry Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:31:48 +0200 to: Well, you predicted you'd get flamed, so......... KUCECJ@SNCAC.SNC.EDU (CYBORG) SAID: >I've been worried for awhile about the addition of a band to TMBG... Looking *....AND...* >I really hate to say it, but it seems to me that TMBG (I can see the flames >coming...) has started to trend towards the mainstream. I mean, take a look *....AND...* >seems to me that it's straight out of a "Here's how to play alternative music >even though there's really not much of it left anymore" book.... The lyrics >could have been set to something Trent Reznor or Marylin Manson (yummy!, * BUT ALSO SAYS.... * >I'm not saying "ditch the band, guys... Do what _I_ think is right...." >That's not what I'm trying to say at all... I'm glad that They're experimenting >with new sounds and ideas, but I think that the full band, at least (I hope) >until they figure out how to work well together, is going to hold them back >musically. *....AND...* >Now lyrically, I can't complain about Their trends at all. I was a little *....AND...* >Don't get me wrong - I really like their new band sound, but consider this... *....AND...* >Yes, I know Spy has a really cool ending.... Listen to Flood for awhile... *....AND...* >Now, please before you pounce on me, >>>>> I DO LIKE THIS NEW SOUND <<<<< So what you're saying is, you like the new sound (except you don't) and that you want tmbg to experiment (unless you don't like what it sounds like). hmmmm - I believe your attempts to be open-minded have rather killed your argument! Everyone has different tastes - why should you or I expect a band to conform to what we want from them? I believe it is a fairly well-established fact that TMBG do what they do because they enjoy doing it - not because they want to satisfy as many fans as possible. If they pander to anybody's idea of what they should sound like it is EXACTLY the same as if they did "tend towards the mainstream". NOT SO? >The cryptic lyrics at the end of The >End of the Tour (fun phrase!) seem to echo frighteningly around in my head: >"we're never gonna tour again...." Together? Apart? Without the full >band? With the band? Alternatively it's just a song! If you hadn't noticed, TMBG ARE touring together now, and are showing every sign of continuing to do so! >I guess what I really need to get off my chest is a little warning to They.... >Not as if it'll ever get to them, but saying it to _someone_ who at least >might be interested in what I have to say will help.... Which is either very pretentious or completely pointless! "Charles Box" wrote; >: The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way >: a bowling >: ball wouldn't. (Russell Beland, Springfield) > Or to be more accurate, (Douglas Adams, UK) - "They hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't" Lastly (thank god) - please let's stop this "Knob butt" thread - it wasn't funny when it started, and has rapidly worsened. Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:42:48 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Favourite TMBG quotes. Hey cool, people are doing their fave quotes. Mine... "I don't want the world, I just want your half". Everyone's heard it, and it's the quote that I renember most from years and years back. But... I just love it heaps. Another fave of mine is, "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful" Man, I could just go on for pages and pages here, but I'm sure you've all heard the quotes before. :) Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:49:23 -0700 (PDT) From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: Hey Mr. Buttknob, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal Well, since I've fielded 8 requests for my offer for the Power of Dial-A-Song tape, and I only had 1 already taped at the time, I need to do two things: 1) Stop taking requests until all of the ones I've received are filled, and... 2) Go to the store and buy a bunch more tapes. Anyway, if all goes well I'll offer this thing up again later on this summer, perhaps next time explaining what the tape is all about. For those of you who responded already, I can only say that I will _try_ and get all of these tapes done and in the mail _this_ week. I'm working on the deals with the people who had stuff to _trade_ first, since my main goal in this is to try to boost my TMBG collection, not to scam a few extra bucks off people because really, I'm not trying to make any. I hope They tour in Oregon this year. Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + // kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / murmur@teleport.com / kbiggs@efn.org // + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: your mail Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 07:28:10 -0500 (CDT) > Well, you predicted you'd get flamed, so......... heh heh.... Here it comes.... >;-> > you want tmbg to experiment (unless you don't like what it sounds like). I want them to experiment, I just want Them to realize that they might be getting pulled into a mainstream. > hmmmm - I believe your attempts to be open-minded have rather killed your > argument! Perhaps it does.... I don't think so, but then again I'm a believer in the fundamental oneness of things (whoa - where'd that term come from?), ie: Dark is Light, Reason is Passion, Good is Evil, etc, so I'm predisposed to being able to think like that.... > why should you or I expect a band to conform to what we want from them? You mistake me.... I don't want that at all... If that's what my message came across as, I apologize. > fact that TMBG do what they do because they enjoy doing it - not because they > want to satisfy as many fans as possible. If they pander to anybody's idea I'd actually like to put that statement into question... JH, to me, seemed to be geared to having more people like them... The full band allows them to have a sound that more people like, and as evidence of this you have more people showing up to concerts who just want to mosh... > Alternatively it's just a song! If you hadn't noticed, TMBG ARE touring > together now, and are showing every sign of continuing to do so! Yes, I'm aware of that, but the lyric still might have been some dark premonition one of them might have had late at night sometime. I've found that TMBG's songs are rarely "just a song." > Which is either very pretentious or completely pointless! Very true... very true.... > Lastly (thank god) - please let's stop this "Knob butt" thread - it wasn't > funny when it started, and has rapidly worsened. Yes, please.... Thank you. Well, that's one down.... ;) -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:01:56 +0200 to: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) wrote: >I want them to experiment, I just want Them to realize that they might be >getting pulled into a mainstream. I seriously doubt that TMBG would ever be "pulled" into any stream whatsoever. As I mentioned before, one of the most obvious characteristics of TMBG is that they've always done what THEY want, regardless of "popular taste" and even what the fans expect. Like I said, they're doing it because they enjoy it, not to satisfy anyone else. >Perhaps it does.... I don't think so, but then again I'm a believer in the >fundamental oneness of things (whoa - where'd that term come from?), ie: Dark >is Light, Reason is Passion, Good is Evil, etc, so I'm predisposed to being >able to think like that.... Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but to be quite blunt about it, that's absolute bollocks isn't it. >> fact that TMBG do what they do because they enjoy doing it - not because they >> want to satisfy as many fans as possible. If they pander to anybody's idea > >I'd actually like to put that statement into question... JH, to me, seemed >to be geared to having more people like them... The full band allows them >to have a sound that more people like, and as evidence of this you have more >people showing up to concerts who just want to mosh... I don't agree - I can only judge by the evidence I see in Europe so my viewpoint may be slightly different, but quite honestly you're more likely to get someone who recognises "Birdhouse" than anything off JH or A18 - as a matter of fact, when I went to get the Pink album some time ago, the guy in the record shop tried to show off his knowledge by saying that Flood was their first album! As for moshing - what with Europe seeing rather less of TMBG than we would like I've only seen them once, but that was at a small place where no moshing was seen all night. Maybe "popular culture" is more to blame for the behaviour rather than any changes in style. >> Alternatively it's just a song! If you hadn't noticed, TMBG ARE touring >> together now, and are showing every sign of continuing to do so! > >Yes, I'm aware of that, but the lyric still might have been some dark >premonition one of them might have had late at night sometime. I've found that >TMBG's songs are rarely "just a song." True, but then you could use the same line of reasoning about "Happy Birthday" Did the person who wrote that have some dark premonition that he would only live so long? Is the song that gets sung as a celebration of someone's birth actually a dark, depressing song to ever-approaching death? Of course not, Flansburgh once said all their songs were about something, he didn't say you had to come up with the most tenuous link possible and assume it was the truth purely by dint of its tenuousness! Maybe others don't share this view, but I think some of the interpretations we hear about are a case of not seeing the wood for the trees. Fritz ------------------------------ From: justin@csgi.com (Justin Higgins) Subject: Regarding TMBG CD-ROM Date: 10 Jun 1996 08:25:40 GMT Organization: digitalNATION Internet Services Sorry, I didn't mean to inadvertently start any Mac vs. PC debates....:) As far as HyperCard, it is sort of the Visual Basic of the Mac (even though VB is more powerful). It is meant as a multimedia authoring tool, utilitizing sounds, graphics, and hyperlinks, etc. The John Henry stack was kind of cool. It wasn't just sound clips. Linnell actually programmed in the melody for each song (i.e. when you pressed the Snail Shell button it directly played the melodu of snail shell using HC's weird sound system). Linnell definately knows his stuff. Anyway, I wasn't really thinking of a CD+ (thats what they put out a regular CD, but use the extra space to put some computer thing on you can play on your PC or Mac...sound and graphics, etc.). CD+ is cool, but there is so much TMBG could do that it would make more sense for them to put out a whole CD-ROM. I mean, the Residents were really successful with their cool and wacky CD-ROMs.....if TMBG did something based on their stuff, and had lots of videos, music, clips, etc. it might not only sell well to TMBG fans, but it might also increase their audience. -Justin P.S. The Fairfax show was really good.....did they play WDTSS at the very beginning? I missed the first few songs. Btw, their new bass player from England is great....he had some really good solos. Does anyone know what the concert in DC on August 16th is? All it says on tmbg.com is that it is in DC. =========================================================== Computer Services Group,Inc. http://www.dn.net Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise ph:(703)642-2800 fax:(703)642-0516 email:justin@csgi.com =========================================================== ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: your mail Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:25:53 -0500 (CDT) > I seriously doubt that TMBG would ever be "pulled" into any stream whatsoever. > As I mentioned before, one of the most obvious characteristics of TMBG is that > they've always done what THEY want, regardless of "popular taste" and even > what the fans expect. Like I said, they're doing it because they enjoy it, > not to satisfy anyone else. I'd agree for the most part, but things and people do change, and anything is possible... > Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but to be quite blunt about it, that's > absolute bollocks isn't it. I happen to believe in it... After about a week of debating in my head about Reason vs. Passion (my prof. for American Culture was a genius... beautiful class), I eventually arrived at a synthesis between the two which collapsed the definitions of each other... It was a beautiful moment, and I failed a Physics lab due to my head swimming.... I've never been able to adequately explain it to anyone else, though. > I don't agree - I can only judge by the evidence I see in Europe so my > viewpoint may be slightly different, but quite honestly you're more likely to > ... > first album! As for moshing - what with Europe seeing rather less of TMBG > than we would like I've only seen them once, but that was at a small place > where no moshing was seen all night. Well, of course you're going to have a different view in Europe... At all the TMBG shows I've been to, there's been moshing and bodysurfing, and although I stayed out of it as best I could, it looked a little rough in there... Perhaps our differences in opinion derive from the differences in culture and experiences we've had.... I'm sure if all I've seen was a small show with no moshing, etc, I'd probably be thinking differently... > Maybe "popular culture" is more to blame for the behaviour rather than any > changes in style. In part, you're probably right about that. I've always enjoyed how They jump from style to style, but it seems to me that within the different musical genres they use, they're starting to lose a little bit of originality... >True, but then you could use the same line of reasoning about "Happy Birthday" >Did the person who wrote that have some dark premonition that he would only >live so long? Is the song that gets sung as a celebration of someone's birth >actually a dark, depressing song to ever-approaching death? Of course not, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why "of course?" >Flansburgh once said all their songs were about something, he didn't say you >had to come up with the most tenuous link possible and assume it was the truth >purely by dint of its tenuousness! Maybe others don't share this view, but I I'm not saying that my interpretation is some godsend to shatter all other interpretations, but it might be partially true. The song might have been written after the Johns spent a few evenings debating the very debate we're having right now, and the song is just an extension of some fears that one of them might have. -CJ PS: this is getting rather fun, eh? _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Self called nowhere.... Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:02:35 -0500 (CDT) I think that the lyric in Self Called Nowhere should really be "It's a thing named Id", rather than "it." That's what I thought it was at first until I looked at the lyric sheets..... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:43:00 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: ska concerts. > I think that I know exactly why people slamdance at tmbg concerts it's > simple. They used to have a horn section and to too many people a horn > section means a ska band... in fact I've heard people say aren't they a Ska > band and I've heard them called Ska-ish... I wouldn't call them a ska band, > but then, I'm not a brain dead moron... the thing is, at most ska concerts the crowd tends to police themselves and if people start to get really rowdy it usually doesn't even have to be put down by security. the fans do it themselves. of course if you see a 6'3" guy with big muscles and big army boots who tells you to stop moshing because it's ruining his concert experience, wouldn't you listen? > If I were to ever get to a tmbg show, > I would be in the pit, I wouldn't be moshing, because it's just not the right > kind of music, but I would be shoving stupid bastards off of me and I might > even lift up some chick if she wanted to surf... does that make me an evil > person? yes. well maybe not. damn these morality questions. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 02:13:11 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Favorites >Response: Fine! I give up! I didn't expect some sort of Spanish Inquisition! >Just forget the whole thing. I'm just a lousy poopbutt. I'll be crawling >back in my hole now... MIght I be so bold as to ask what exactly *is* a `poopbutt'?? Grinning evily, mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Hyper Henry Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:35:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Robert Grabill Jr.: >Hey. Is the only way to get the JH hypercard stcak from aol? If it is could >someone upload it to an ftp or something so I can get it? You can get it from Elektra's TMBG page: http://www.elektra.com/artists/tmbg/tmbg.html or via the FTP site: ftp://max.physics.sunysb.edu/pub/tmbg/misc/john_henry.hqx -CB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 14:36:05 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: Re: Favorites >>Response: Fine! I give up! I didn't expect some sort of Spanish Inquisition! >>Just forget the whole thing. I'm just a lousy poopbutt. I'll be crawling >>back in my hole now... > >And might I be bold enough to ask... what exactly is a `poopbutt'? > >Grinning evily, mike (Leahcim) Anyone in doubt of the validity of the word "poopbutt" can refer to Ice Cube's song called "I Ain't the One" (or I'm Not the One, I can't remember which) where he says: "I ain't the one, the one to get played like a poopbutt. You see I'm from the streets, So I know what's up" Now, I always thought that poopbutt was just for kindergarteners making up their first curses, but it is obviously a very hardcore term, so use it cautiously... Hoping this doesn't turn into another buttknob, ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 21:59:43 -0400 Buttknobs make this list smell like shit. Let's end this thread, please? -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:06:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Michael Batchelder wrote: > Now, I was thinking the other day. Well, actually, I was shitting, which is > how the whole thing got on my mind. > > We've discused the possibility of many definitions, but it seems we've left > a rather important one out. Let me explain through the following senario: > > You wake up early in the morning and stagger to the bathroom. Pulling your > boxers (panties?) down, you settle into your favorite chair, grab a > magazine, and begin to pee. You soon realize that ain't all your going to > do. Straining like a mother in labor, you push yesterdays lunch out the > hatch and kiss it farewell... but wait, its still here. It soon becomes > apparent that you have a problem, your fecal presentation has gotten itself > lodged. Half in, half out, it hangs. It protrudes in a very unique, > almost......knobbish way. Hmmmmm.... Could this be...a buttknob?? > > Welp, it t'is getting late. Think it over, lemme know what you think. > > mike (Leahcim) > Why is leahcim trying to make us all sick? Is there a reason for all of this? To entertain is one thing but there are certain lines one would prefer to remain uncrossed. And also, if leahcim did not know he was going to drop a load then why was he sitting down? (hehehe) And on the topic of the first album, there is a bootleg floating around which contains a live performance of the first album. It was done in Chicago in '94, I think. About to eat tomorrow's shit, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:27:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: TMBG CD-ROM? > >Well, if they put out a music CD that was also a CD ROM, you probably >wouldn't be able to listen to it on shuffle mode. And do we really want >to be forced to only listen to an album in it's original order? > >Think about it, won't you? Actually, with CD+ (now "Enhanced CD) technology, it isn't like this...the data is recorded in such a way that an audio CD player can't see it. Of course, that means your CD-ROM drive has to be less than 1 1/2 years old...doh! /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I spend too much time raiding windmills. We go side by side, laugh until | \-------it's right." Toad The Wet Sprocket, "Windmills"---------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:40:08 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: Favorites House of Brian and David wrote: > > Now, I always thought that poopbutt was just for kindergarteners making up > their first curses, but it is obviously a very hardcore term, so use it > cautiously... > > Hoping this doesn't turn into another buttknob, HEY!!! i'm taking offense at this one!!! buttknob is a cool word!!!!! poopbutt...well that can be a hardcore term anyday, but it;s no "buttknob" not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:45:28 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! BlueDawg wrote: > > Buttknobs make this list smell like shit. Let's end this thread, please? > > -- > S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com > bluedawg@tmbg.org, > BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! > http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ > ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh NO!!!! buttknobs forever!!!!! bluedawg...i've always respected your posts UNTIL NOW! let's just pretend this never happened or we'll have to change your email address to idiotyes.i.am@ix.netcom.com don't be a buttknob! not just another john (hopes he sees the humour in this post) ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:55:59 -0500 (CDT) > > boxers (panties?) down, you settle into your favorite chair, grab a > > magazine, and begin to pee. You soon realize that ain't all your going to ... > would prefer to remain uncrossed. And also, if leahcim did not know he > was going to drop a load then why was he sitting down? (hehehe) 'cause of the magazine thing.... I mean, you're kinda sleepy still, you certainly don't want to be up and around yet, so since you can't really go back to bed, you grab the magazine and sit down. It's quiet... there's nobody around to bother you... you can read in peace and quiet, and if you don't stay sitting for long, it's even kinda comfortable... Speaking of morning rituals involving excrement and magazines, I think that Istanbul and Korn's Shoots and Ladders is in the same key... I was thinking it would be really fun to mix them together (ie: violin introduction + the rest of the Korn song, or bagpipe introduction + the rest of Istanbul).... God, what shattered expectations you'd have, either way! -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:49:59 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: ATTENTION FRIENDS OF BUTTKNOB! keep those entries in the Buttknob: the movie top 5 tmbg buttknob songs, so far i have 28 people most of whom have given me way more than 5 entries!!!!!! the !!!!top 10!!!! will be posted on friday! (due to the overwhelming response!) BUTTKNOB 4-EVER! not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 05:04:57 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album >> > boxers (panties?) down, you settle into your favorite chair, grab a >> > magazine, and begin to pee. You soon realize that ain't all your going to >> would prefer to remain uncrossed. And also, if leahcim did not know he >> was going to drop a load then why was he sitting down? (hehehe) >'cause of the magazine thing.... I mean, you're kinda sleepy still, you >certainly don't want to be up and around yet, so since you can't really go >back to bed, you grab the magazine and sit down. It's quiet... there's >nobody around to bother you... you can read in peace and quiet, and if you >don't stay sitting for long, it's even kinda comfortable... I must say I do agree with this. Who wants to stand up at 6am in the morning? I need a nice quiet relaxing period to wake my mind and body, and what better way to do it then on the toilet. And I also agree with the comfortable thing. The nice hard back of the toilet is especially supportive of your back. And yes, no one bothers you on the can. Matter of fact, the can is probably one of the easiest places to hide out. Just got in trouble? Go to the can. People aren't about to make you get up and take your punishment with a shit hanging out, are they? Well, maybe in the army, but I am not a military man myself. Plus, they aren't very private hoppers anyhow, are they? You know, on a similar note, I bet Linnell has bigger shits then Flansburgh. Of course this is highly debatable, but its just a hunch. Something about Linnell is much more....manly. Not that flansburgh isn't the third ass ;) mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:16:06 -0500 (CDT) > bluedawg...i've always respected your posts UNTIL NOW! Good lord, man... Don't declare jyhad on him or anything.... > (hopes he sees the humour in this post) Or something.... ;) _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:24:19 -0500 (CDT) > You know, on a similar note, I bet Linnell has bigger shits then Flansburgh. > Of course this is highly debatable, but its just a hunch. Something about > Linnell is much more....manly. What? So the size of someone's crap is a measure of their manliness??? "Ugh! Me alpha male! ARGH! Eat meat good! My shit smell worse than yours! Me crush your head!" What's that? Geez..... ;) _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: back to back songs Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 17:30:47 -0400 (EDT) Two of my favorite quotes are actually from back to back songs, I Hope that I get Old Before I die and Alienation's for the Rich. "Clear off the kitchen table darling" "which I believe is Linnell *I still can't tell listening to this* "Alienation's for the rich and I'm feeling a POOrer every day" which is Flans I think because they just sound so wacky and I can't get em out of my head! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: back to back songs Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:36:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >"Clear off the kitchen table darling" >"which I believe is Linnell *I still can't tell listening to this* I would agree that Linnell sings this line (but not the entire song; they switch back and forth on the verses I believe. it's been a while.) -CB ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Donations Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 17:38:43 -0400 (EDT) I just wanted to do a little accounting so everyone knows what's going on. To date I have received 14 donations totalling $230. Of that I used $50 to pay off the last of my expenses related to the new machine I purchased for the web site a while back. The rest is collecting interest in my bank account for the moment. I'm considering using it for a RealAudio server at some point in the future depening on how the web site shakes out. I'd like to thank everyone who dontated. As you can see by the numbers above quite a few people donated more than the $10 I suggested. I guess Giant's fans are just plain generous. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 05:56:01 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album >> You know, on a similar note, I bet Linnell has bigger shits then Flansburgh. >> Of course this is highly debatable, but its just a hunch. Something about >> Linnell is much more....manly. >What? So the size of someone's crap is a measure of their manliness??? Oh come now. You can't honestly say that the size of ones shit doesn't play into their manliness at all. I think your just jealous because you shit rabbit pellets. You'd know what I was talking about if you dropped a motherload like I did this morning. Then of course, maybe I'd like to think the size of ones shit is a measure of ones manliness because it would make me a man. I certainly have to gain from that theory. Guess I just have a biased opinion. I honestly can't see how using the size of ones shit is any worse then using the size of ones gun, or truck to measure manliness. Grinning all the way, mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:12:18 -0400 Subject: Re: Favorites'Favorites'Favorites >Response: Fine! I give up! I didn't expect some sort of >Spanish Inquisition! Nnoooooooobbboodddyyy expects the Spanish Inquisition! I get the digest, so I don't know how many other people have also responded that way...There seems to be a strange correlation twixt TMBG and Monty Python... Anyway, my favorite line....hmmmmm I have one from each album so.... They Might Be Giants: "I heard they had a space program, when they sing you can't hear, there's no air" Lincoln: "I see smoke signals coming from them, they say 'We are out of furniture'" Misc. T: "Fell in the door and you fell on the floor with your hand on the (butt)knob looking up and abruptly" Flood: "More coffee for me boss, 'cause I'm not as messed up as I'd like to be." Apollo 18: "'Son I am able' she said, 'though you scare me.' 'watch,' said I 'beloved,' I said 'watch me scare you though,' said she 'able am I son.'" John Henry: "I was sailing along with the people driving themselves to distraction inside me" - Dan from New Jersey --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:13:48 -0400 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: Mono Puff concert in NJ!@ WHTG-FM in Asbury Park, NJ, has come through again for us TMBG fans. Back in December, They played WHTG's Christmas show. This time around, Mono Puff is playing their summer show. Here's the info: Friday, July 5, 11:00am. Surfstock III, on the beach in Ortley Beach, NJ, behind Joey Harrison's Surf Club. Admission: FREE, you just have to buy a beach pass. Other bands playing include: Little John, Marry Me Jane, Love In Reverse, Pete Droge, Solution AD, The Connells, Soul Coughing, John Easdale of DramaRamma. The whole thing is being hosted by Joan Jett, no less! It should be really great. Mono Puff, less then 35 minutes from my house. How awesome. If anyone is interested in going and needs directions, let me know. --- -- - Tom Sullivan of Jonas e'Zine (edi@cybercomm.net) http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/jonas.html -- Jonas e'Zine --- -- - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:34:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! I agree with John!!! Long live buttknobs!!! Gotta love good clean fun (ha ha!)! *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:50:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose Subject: No Mono Puff I just know Mono Puff will never come to Toronto. Why should they? I'd go, but they won't come. Sometimes it hurts to be a Canadian, where even in Toronto you are not near ANYTHING. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:07:34 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: Don't make me kill you again.... Woo-hoo! I just got done reading through 4 days worth of the digest, and let me tell you, I'm feeling a great sense of accomplishment. um, yeah, whatever. I had to write just so I wouldn't completely become a lurker (because everyone loves a lurker!) and because I had something to say for once. Sorry it's so long though... Anyway, on Friday I went into a record store (The Exclusive Company, for anyone who knows what that is... how big a chain is that anyway?) and found, much to my non-chagrin, Back to Skull! Not even a used copy! I find this strange, since it's been out for almost 2 years, and that particular store hasn't had it every other time I've gone in to look for it.... Of course I snapped it up immediately. So of course I finally heard Ondine and Mrs. Train for the first time, and She Was A Hotel Detective for the second time (having heard it at the last Madison concert). Damn good songs! They're all so catchy and "hooky", especially the Ondine chorus. It (the whole single) really reminds me of how vocally _versatile_ Flans is... I mean, talk about a good range. He sounded different at the concert during the She Was A... falsetto part.. is that him on the single? Maybe his voice was just strained or something at the concert. Dunno. Brilliant lyrics, too, in Ondine... hilarious... and She Was A.. has a great sound too and lyrically harks back to their great old stuff. I keep appreciating JH more and more, too... despite some sort of disparaging comments about it recently, I listened to it a couple times over the weekend through headphones (which I would recommend highly). I noticed how musically rich it is compared to some of their other stuff... just the many layers of instruments and the sort of weird sounds you don't notice if you're listening to it on a stereo. I don't have too many specific examples, except that I love that the drum part in "Meet James Ensor" is only on the left channel... and as far as the lyrics go, they're so well-written, like End of the Tour, for instance.... I won't go on about it now though... maybe later. Just the fact that there are so many different interpretations shows that at least it makes a lot of people think, which I DO think They are trying to do.... By the way, I tend to read long messages (like this one), especially since I'm on the digest, only if they're divided into shorter paragraphs (like this one). So if you want people to read your interpretations and stuff, maybe do this. Just my 1.99999 cents.... Oh, yeah, I've been snickering about the buttknob discussion the whole time I was reading it.... Maybe a buttknob is something everyone has that isn't visible but that extends into hyperspace. So only trained eyes can see them, kind of like auras, but for those who can see them, everyone has a signature buttknob... some colorful and radiant, some conservative and beige -- um, okay, that's enough now. Looking forward to Mono Puff tomorrow... Jason "He wants a shoehorn -- the kind / J a s o n L. G o h l k e with teeth -- because he knows / jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu there's no such thing." -TMBG / bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:17:17 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: Moshing >From: tim.clark@rma.edu >Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy >Date: Sat, 08 Jun 96 19:14:02 -0400 >Subject: Moshing >The reason why TMBG shows are getting stupider i.e. moshers (the concerts still >rule) is because TMBG is getting more popular. And so people who just like >going to concerts go their to mosh. in the olden days the only ones who'd go to >TMBG shows were TMBG fans. Now some people go just because trhey have heard of >them and want to see them. THOSE are prob. the moshers...I think at least. Hmm.. I think it goes further than that. Someone posted something about ska shows being rough.. well I'd like to say that we who frequent ska shows ALSO hate moshers. Even rowdier ska-core like Less Than Jake and the Bosstones. I like to go to ska shows because the people there usually cool, especially if it's a non-mainstream ska show. It's usually just a sea of skankers.. a simpler, non-violent dance form. The last show I went to, I would get pushed every few minutes, even though I was doing nothing visibly wrong. So my friends and I devolped a hypothesis. Moshers are jealous concert goers. They see the people who can dance and skank, and they get mad, because they have no rhythm, so they run around and hit people and knock people over and act like jerks.. because it's all they CAN do. Watch a mosher try to headbang; they just can't do it right. :) Any takers? :) The Almighty Cowgod "I'm goin' down to Cowtown, the cow's a friend to me..." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:48:04 -0400 ---------- : From: Michael Batchelder : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album : Date: Monday, June 10, 1996 5:04 AM : in trouble? Go to the can. People aren't about to make you get up and take : your punishment with a shit hanging out, are they? Well, maybe in the army, : but I am not a military man myself. Plus, they aren't very private hoppers : anyhow, are they? Okay, y'all forced me to post part of a message from alt.folklore.military. This little masterpiece was written by Dave Hall, also an alt.tasteless regular. It is from his Navy bootcamp reminiscences. If anyone wants the whole thing, e-mail me. It is really good. _________ The Shit-O-Rama: As I mentioned previously, the barracks we endured at first was strictly temporary and everybody involved was pretty much united in the spirit of not taking a shit until we made it to our permanant barracks with their presumably clean heads. I mean, at the time we found out about their existance we had already gone close to three days without taking a shit, how bad could another couple of days be? "We will not be defiled by the transient barracks" was our battlecry. And so it was. Unfortunately, the "couple" of days that we expected to wait out until moving into permanent quarters stretched into six days of agony bringing the length of our boycott to an astounding (to me) nine days. I shudder to think at what percentage of my total body weight was shit. Because believe you me, with they way they were marching us, we all had *huge* appetites. We were eating three large meals *every* day. And yet, we did not shit. But I'm teasing you all. I know it and you know it. Here I sit rambling on and on about how much was going in and how little was going out when I know damned well that what you all *really* want to hear about is the day the damn busted, so to speak. I will make you wait no longer. On the blessed day of our deliverance from The-Land-of-No-Logs, there was electricity in the air. We all knew that today was THE day. We all knew that before the sun had gone down that night, so too would our body weights. But still, my mind was troubled. I did not know how many shitters would await us, but I was certain the number would not be equal to the ninety-six of us that made up the company. My fear was that I would wait nine days to take a shit only to let a monster load loose into my standard issue BVDs whilst awaiting my turn. Why this should be a fear of mine, I do not know. After all, I had waited nine ass puckering days for this, why would I lose it in the last ten minutes? I could not answer that question, but still the thought persisted. Fortunately, my fears were unfounded. When we were at last released to take a shit ("You have one hour, ladies."), I miraculously was litterally the first man in the door. Thank you Glub! I picked the third shitter from the right. I ripped down my pants and planted my ass for what was sure to be a religious experience. But nothing came. I strained. I pulled my asscheeks apart. I strained some more. I began to panic. Feverishly I looked at those who had taken up residence around me (no stalls, remember?) and noted that they too seemed to be in my predicament. And this comforted my soul. I reasoned that if *none* of us could shit, then the Navy, not I, was to blame. Why this should comfort me, again, I do not know. But it did. And I relaxed. And as I relaxed I felt a rumble. And the rumble grew. And as the rumble grew I knew what I was about to behold: The single largest grogan that would ever find it's birth from my young, virgin bunghole. I felt my sphincter begin to open. I felt my sphincter stretch. I braced myself for the pain. But there was none. Instead my mind was filled with the euphoria of a masterful dump. I felt the beast break free and anxiously looked into the depths lurking between my legs. It looked to be about three inches in diameter. As for length, I could not tell for sure. One end of it dissappeared into the toilet's exit portal while the other end poked defiantly out of the water a good two inches. I estimated it to be at least a foot long, but as I said, I could not be sure as I had no way to guess at how much of her was hidden from my view. But I am sure of this: she was heavier than water, and as such, she had to weigh in the neighborhood of 3/4 lbs (you do the math). Indeed, it brought a tear to my eye. There were other turds, but none matched the spectacle of that first. And all exited *easily* from my now gaping starfish. But as the old saying goes, "No job is finished till the paperwork is done." With fear in my heart, and a large wad of paper in my hand, I made the first wipe (OBPreviousThreads: BTW, I'm a right handed scruntcher who alternates between front to back and back to front.). It stung more than a tad bit. I looked at the paper. There was enough blood to satisfy a red cross worker. No matter, I was light as air and felt a great and joyous emptiness in my heart...errr gut. [Incidentally, this was the only shitter I would ever use throughout my entire bootcamp experience. I have no idea why I picked this shitter for what I would refer to as "my office," but for some reason I was attracted to it. Perhaps I thought of it as an old friend after it helped me out that one fine day.] : : You know, on a similar note, I bet Linnell has bigger shits then Flansburgh. : Of course this is highly debatable, but its just a hunch. Something about : Linnell is much more....manly. : Not that flansburgh isn't the third ass ;) Well, I may refute that theory. What's Linnell's favorite drink? Coffee!! I, personally, live off of coffee (sometimes as much as three pots before noon), and only eat a small meal a day (maybe a Lean Cuisine or a sandwich). Needless to say, I don't offer big gifts to the porcelain porthole. I believe that our beloved Mr. Linnell may be the same way. OBTW: my little diatribe about buttknobs was just a joke. :) Obviously nobody got it. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:51:32 -0400 Hey, folks....It was just a joke. I am, after all, the resident shock jock of alt.tasteless. I love it, but hadn't had anything to add. (Wacky Top 40 DeeJay Voice) Just tryin' to mix things up! Make it lively!! Robin Banks, DeeJay extrodinaire -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ---------- : From: BlueDawg : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! : Date: Saturday, June 08, 1996 9:59 PM : : Buttknobs make this list smell like shit. Let's end this thread, please? : : -- : S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com : bluedawg@tmbg.org, : BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! : http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ : ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: 10 Jun 96 20:07:20 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Yeehah Okay people. It's time for a lesson in netiquette. When I came to my mailbox today, the usage read 40 messages 70K. Now this can't be right, unless some people are being bad. This is how to stop being bad. 1. Do not quote the entire 2k message just to say the exact same thing 2. Do not quote the entire message when you talk about one thing said. 3. Do not respond to the same message 5 times and quote yourself. 4. Ditch your signatures. Signatures are very annoying if the person writes a quicky. Signatures do nothing for you. People will not think less of you if you don't have one. And people will not think better of you if you do. So sotp. One quote is alright if you think it's funny. But don't post it over and over okay? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:18:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Moshing > I like to go to ska shows because the people there usually cool, especially > if it's a non-mainstream ska show. It's usually just a sea of skankers.. a > simpler, non-violent dance form. > > The last show I went to, I would get pushed every few minutes, even though I > was doing nothing visibly wrong. So my friends and I devolped a hypothesis. > Moshers are jealous concert goers. They see the people who can dance and > skank, and they get mad, because they have no rhythm, so they run around and > hit people and knock people over and act like jerks.. because it's all they > CAN do. Watch a mosher try to headbang; they just can't do it right. :) I don't think it has to do with jealousy so much as ignorance. High school kids (not all, of course) and jocko frat boys that have had it drilled into their empty skulls by mainstream media (i.e. MTV) that slamming = cool. They then try to emulate what is cool in any concert environment. At a ska show, where most atendees have a similar knowledge of the tradition of the genre, this really doesn't present much of a problem. Those acting like jerks are usually forcibly stopped. At a TMBG show, where there is no real" history" or accepted behaviour, slamming is harder to control. It almost is the accepted behaviour at a "rock concert". The relative popularity of TMBG also presents a problem, since it increases the number of MTV-types who infest the place. -Of course, I have no idea what to do about it. At small shows, I've found that if a group of my friends and I space ourselves evenly throughout a pit and stand perfectly still, we can effectively cut slammers off from one another. They usually then get frustrated and leave. This probably wouldn't work in a crowd of TMBG proportions, though. Maybe, if every peace-minded individual grabbed one slammer and said, "Stop it, you dimwit.", there'd be some hope. Even at the worst shows, the good guys still outnumber the bad... -Slacker Ng ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:33:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: TMBG in general... I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > I really hate to say it, but it seems to me that TMBG (I can see the flames > coming...) has started to trend towards the mainstream. I mean, take a look > at their earlier songs, etc.... _WIERD_ stuff... yeah, and that whole improvised conducting they do at the end of Spy is a big Def Leopard rip-off. and i could swear that dirtbike sounds like all those other top forty "alternative" songs. sheesh... > It seems to me that it's straight out of a "Here's how to play > alternative music > even though there's really not much of it left anymore" book.... The lyrics > could have been set to something Trent Reznor or Marylin Manson (yummy!, > however...) would have had fun with, and the style musically has been done > so often it got old really quickly.... okay, i originally thought your argument was flawed, but this is out of hand. trent reznor couldn't write lyrics like that if the devil himself moved the pen for him. and "done so often"? what radio station have YOU been listening to? > Now, please before you pounce on me, >>>>> I DO LIKE THIS NEW SOUND <<<<< so you're a fan of the "Here's how to play alternative music even though there's really not much of it left anymore" book? > Yes, I know Spy has a really cool ending.... Listen to Flood for awhile... > same thing. The End of the Tour had the same groove that Don't Let's Start > did. what? no. no no no. it's not the same thing as anything on flood and i don't know what your definition of "groove" is, but... i'm not flaming you. i just don't understand what you're saying AT ALL. i don't consider myself a dumb person, so it troubles me that i can't understand what would make you think this way. so just accept it as constructive criticism of your argument with a twist. holding his face, frank ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:50:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: TMBG and the mainstream I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > > Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but to be quite blunt about it, that's > > absolute bollocks isn't it. > > I happen to believe in it... After about a week of debating in my head about > Reason vs. Passion (my prof. for American Culture was a genius... beautiful > class), I eventually arrived at a synthesis between the two which collapsed > the > definitions of each other... It was a beautiful moment, and I failed a Physics > lab due to my head swimming.... I've never been able to adequately explain > it to anyone else, though. well, the fact that many existential "oomphs" (if not all) seem to be rather ineffable doesn't help the acceptability of your argument. you may want to be able to defend them before expressing them. > Well, of course you're going to have a different view in Europe... ahh, but his argument is still valid, mainly because it's no different here. Most people in America do know "Istanbul" or "Birdhouse" over "Snail Shell" or "Sleeping in the Flowers". this would go to contradict your notion that John Henry is more "mainstream." sorry, but i HAD to get into this. Frank ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 21:04:50 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: I revolt against Buttknobs!!! I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > Hey, folks....It was just a joke. I am, after all, the resident shock > jock of alt.tasteless. I love it, but hadn't had anything to add. (Wacky > Top 40 DeeJay Voice) Just tryin' to mix things up! Make it lively!! wimp. now I'M one who doesn't respect you anymore. frank ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 21:31:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!! listen, i consider myself a reasonable fellow. usually, if someone says something stupid, the comments i make won't go past an inaudible mumble under my breath. but this buttknob thing has gone too far. i bring this as evidence: > >> > boxers (panties?) down, you settle into your favorite chair, grab a > >> > magazine, and begin to pee. You soon realize that ain't all your > >> would prefer to remain uncrossed. And also, if leahcim did not know he > was going to drop a load then why was he sitting down? (hehehe) > Go to the can. People aren't about to make you get up and take > your punishment with a shit hanging out, are they? > You know, on a similar note, I bet Linnell has bigger shits then Flansburgh. > Of course this is highly debatable, but its just a hunch. Something about > Linnell is much more....manly. i must agree with the person who said it wasn't funny when it started, and it's just plain stupid now. it's third grade potty humor. groucho marx once said that people who were really funny never needed to resort to dirty jokes to make people laugh. they were a cheap laugh, and those who needed to use them did so because they weren't witty enough to say anything else. i think the same applies. i don't consider myself a maturity freak. i collect comic books and buy action figures. but you guys sound like a group of jr. high kids who've been fed too many candy bars at two in the morning. a while back ago, a group of people on the list were strongly chastised for starting and perpetuating a thread that suggested that one of the johns was lactose intolerant. they carried it a little too far, yes, but it never got obscene, and they were asked to stop, especially since many of the posts tended to be rather irrelevant. so, jeez, look past the fact that it's just plain gross and use a few manners. guys, it's a *TMBG* mailing list! the least you could do is TRY to talk about tmbg (preferably something other than their bathrooms). if i sound irritated, i can't say i'm not. there are decent things to talk about. not everything has to be an intellectual discussion, but keeping it out of the toilet isn't too much to ask. someone told me that a while back ago some pretty cool people were on the list (like bill krauss and joshua fried) and many left because of the sophomoric humor of some of the posts at that time. this was a long time ago, but if you're trying to achieve the same effect, you're doing a great job. please, just stop. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 22:32:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Ray Grabeel Subject: A Plea for Sanitary On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Frankenberry finally wrote: > STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!! Couln't have put it better myself, Frank... > a while back ago, a group of people on the list were strongly chastised > for starting and perpetuating a thread that suggested that one of the > johns was lactose intolerant. they carried it a little too far, yes, but > it never got obscene, and they were asked to stop, especially since many > of the posts tended to be rather irrelevant. Hey now! Don't *even* compare the buttknob thread to the lactose thread! The lactose thread may have gone a little bit too far, but it was, let's see... funny, clever, and it was very relevant to TMBG, however in a silly way. But this buttknob thread is nothing more than disgusting sophomoric dribble... no, I take that back. It's not *even* on a sophomore level, freshman *maybe*, but I don't think even that. I don't even think my 16 year old sister would find it funny! Personally, I don't care if we get off topic on the list, as long as it's something funny or at least mildly intellectually stimulating... At least the lactose thread caused some people to think, whereas the buttknow thread has caused some people to want to throw up. And about trying to fit the word buttknob into TMBG songs, let me just say: IT'S NOT FUNNY!! Crap, you guys aren't even trying to make it sound like it fits! "Youth Culture Killed My Buttknob"... *come on*!! Now, it was funny at least for a little while when we tried to fit the word "tray" in various TMBG songs a long time ago (*anybody* remember that?). At least there were some clever responses that required some creativity. I don't mean to sound like a grouchy old list person... okay, maybe I do, but anyways, the point is that I am, and I know others who also are, very irritated and downright disgusted at some of the content on the list. So when you post, *please* consider the fact that your message may be read by several hundred people, most of whom have long-since graduated from junior-high. I think it's time to update the ground rules, Leo. thinking maybe I left the iron on, Ray ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 23:36:34 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Favourite TMBG quotes. On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Tim Baby wrote: > Hey cool, people are doing their fave quotes. Mine... "I don't want the > world, I just want your half". > Another fave of mine is, "No one in the world ever gets what they want and > that is beautiful" Blast...foiled again! You have beaten me to both of my favourite quotes. Never the less, I will stick with those two as my choices, and perhaps add "What's the sense in ever thinking 'bout the tomb, when you're much too busy returning to the womb?" Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:26:26 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album >STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!! >listen, i consider myself a reasonable fellow. usually, if someone says >something stupid, the comments i make won't go past an inaudible mumble >under my breath. but this buttknob thing has gone too far. i bring this >as evidence: >i don't consider myself a maturity freak. i collect comic books and >buy action figures. but you guys sound like a group of jr. high kids >who've been fed too many candy bars at two in the morning. And how exactly does a group of jr. high kids act any differently, with or without candy bars? Are you trying to suggest that sugar causes hyperactivity, or even sophmoric humor? Hmmm...this is indeed interesting. I know they have proven that sugar is not in any way capable of giving you a `sugar high', but about the sophmoric humor thing, I'm not sure. Maybe we can contact berkeley and see if they'd do a study on that... mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 01:02:04 -0400 Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album >And how exactly does a group of jr. high kids act any differently, with or >without candy bars? Are you trying to suggest that sugar causes >hyperactivity, or even sophmoric humor? etc. etc. The fact remains that this is still a TMBG list. I have a long day. As much as I hate to sound like a scolding adult, unfun kind of girl, it's just a wee bit more than annoying to come home and find a bunch of messages that have nothing to do with TMBG sitting in my box from a TMBG mailing list. On top of that, I'm normally trying to eat dinner while reading my e-mail. Call me nutty, but I really don't like reading bathroom humor when I'm trying to eat. I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't have the right to discuss such things, but, if it could be limited to a "buttknob" mailing list, I would be thrilled. And I would be able to finish eating dinner in peace. Love, Brooks, who just wanted to voice her opinion on the "stop the buttknob" side. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 01:07:56 -0500 (CDT) From: axel@tmbg.org (Kurt Anderson) Subject: Favorite Lines My favorite TMBG line: (besides the one in my .pce [sig]) "I saw the worst bands of my genereation, applyed by magic marker to drywall. I should be allowed to shoot my mouth off, I should have a call in show. I should be allowed to glue my poster, I should be alloweed to think." (aka) kurt ~~~ Kurt Anderson axel@tmbg.org ^ "...but you see there's nothing wrong with me. kaacoolguy@tmbg.org ^ You think, 'that's what you think, that's what axel@interaccess.com ^ they all say'; before I blow you away." -tmbg homepage.interaccess.com/~axel/ (its still under construction) homepage.interaccess.com/~axel/tmbg/tmbg_links.html (it too is under construction) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 02:16:04 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: Frankenberry My goodness! Quite a deluge from Frankenberry! Now, as one of the new kids, I feel it is necessary to speak up. I wasn't privileged enough to find this list until a couple months ago, and when I started receiving it, I was a little disappointed at the general lack of valid TMBG discussion. But I realized I didn't own the list(apparently Frank does), and I was only asking for it to be sent to my home. So I put my two cents in when I saw something interesting, and ignored what I didn't care about. I agree wholeheartedly that the buttknob thing was a pain to wade through and the potty humor is just out of place, but the bottom line is this: People are going to respond to threads they like, valid or not, as is their privilege. These things wouldn't be on the list if it wasn't what people wanted to respond to. It's not my cup of tea, but I don't control the list and I would hope people wouldn't attack me if I was in a discussion I liked, but some people didn't. I can't walk into a sports bar and tell everyone to stop blabbing on about the Bulls and talk to me about the Sonics. And insulting folks to try to get a more mature forum just doesn't seem too logical. Anywho, rambling aside, let's get on to some cliches. Brothers and Sisters, can't we all please turn the other cheek, bury the hatchet, forgive and forget, and get on with trying to devote our mail to the band we all love and cherish. I just hope that some of the new kids haven't been scared off from sharing their veiws when something interesting comes along. Let's try to keep this the friendly cowtown it should be. Getting off the pedestal, looking like a pansy, ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-163 ******************************