Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-164 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 164 Wednesday, 12 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Favourite TMBG quotes. Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: TMBG in general... Re: TMBG and the mainstream Off topic discussions Re: Buttknobs/First Album i sorry fave lines Re: Frankenberry Re: Off topic discussions+OAT specials concert Mono Puff monopuff Flansburgh live on AOL a week from today! Re: Favorite Lines Re:Frankenberry Re: Off topic discussions STOP IT! re:no Mono Puff Re: Frankenberry+STOP IT Re: Frankenberry+STOP IT hello cd club Mono Puff- "Devil" EP Justin's question about WDTSS in Fairfax and a note to Dan.... Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: Off topic discussions HELP ME PLEASE! cd-roms monopuff HA! Re: Buttknobs/First Album Re: Mono Puff- "Devil" EP Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:31:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose Subject: Re: Favourite TMBG quotes. Tour the world in a heavy metal band but they run out gas, the plane can never land and Ads up in the subway are the work of someone trying to please ther boss, and though the guy's a pig you know that what he wants is just to please somebody else. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:56:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album Frankenberry whined: > i must agree with the person who said it wasn't funny when it started, > and it's just plain stupid now. it's third grade potty humor. > > if i sound irritated, i can't say i'm not. there are decent things to > talk about. not everything has to be an intellectual discussion, but > keeping it out of the toilet isn't too much to ask. someone told me that > > please, just stop. Okay, I can't believe I am going to say this, but believe me, I am laughing as I say it, but to all you Frankenberries out there (and I think the buttknobbers outnumber you): Could you please chill the fuck out?????????????? ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:08:38 -0500 (CDT) > I honestly can't see how using the size of ones shit is any worse then using > the size of ones gun, or truck to measure manliness. Well, since I don't do either of those, I suppose I'm predisposed to disagree. If you want to measure someone's manliness, strap them into a chair and force them to listen to days of nothing but Muzak, surviving only on bread and water and getting an electric shock in the armpit whenever he thinks about a TMBG song in his head. *ouch* That'll show you who's made up of sterner stuff... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: TMBG in general... Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:27:48 -0500 (CDT) > okay, i originally thought your argument was flawed, but this is out of > hand. trent reznor couldn't write lyrics like that if the devil himself > moved the pen for him. and "done so often"? what radio station have YOU > been listening to? What? Have you ever actually listened to some good NIN? Trent's (God as he is) lyrics are generally beautifully double-layered (at least in Downward Spiral- in Pretty Hate Machine, not so much, and I'm afraid that's all I own of his) and require some interpretation, and they're generally a heck of a lot more poetic than Stompbox.... > so you're a fan of the "Here's how to play alternative music even though > there's really not much of it left anymore" book? I do happen to like that sound.... Simply because something's mainstream doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. Most people I've found that like the stranger, more unusual, less heard-of bands seem to hold any kind of mainstream as something on the order of dirt. I don't think so. Just because something's been done before doesn't make it _bad_, necessarily... I'm just saying that if you've _got_ something that's really different and unusual, it would be a shame to end up doing the mainstream. > what? no. no no no. it's not the same thing as anything on flood and i > don't know what your definition of "groove" is, but... Um, Whistling in the Dark? They Might be Giants (the song)? And by groove, I'm just talking about that really "in a zone" kinda feeling you get when listening to the song... ie: you're listening to it, the song's just going and going, and your energy and the song's energy amplifies each other, and it turns out to be one of those songs you wish would go on forever, because you know when it stops you're going to have to stop jumping around like an idiot. ;) > i'm not flaming you. i just don't understand what you're saying AT ALL. Well, that's because I haven't exactly been too clear, I suppose.... -CJ, who's hoping perhaps he's clarified something.... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: TMBG and the mainstream Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:31:23 -0500 (CDT) > well, the fact that many existential "oomphs" (if not all) seem to be rather > ineffable doesn't help the acceptability of your argument. you may want > to be able to defend them before expressing them. I can't really explain it because I've already collapsed both of the definitions, and the original terms and ideas are now meaningless... I'm honestly still trying to work it out on paper, and I've got about four pages (handwritten) of stuff that still wouldn't make any sense to anyone but me... > "Snail Shell" or "Sleeping in the Flowers". this would go to contradict > your notion that John Henry is more "mainstream." No, Flood doesn't really sound like anything I've really ever heard on the radio, when you get down to it. I could channel-surf for a few hours and pick up on the general gist of most of the JH songs.... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Off topic discussions Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 09:41:14 -0400 (EDT) Off topic discussions seem to rage on even though many people don't seem to care about them. I've decided it's not really worth trying to stop them due to the effort it would require. To combat the problem I am going to start another, moderated list. It will only be for real TMBG talk, concert annoucements and soforth. This should satisfy the people who want to keep up with TMBG but don't care about all the off topic stuff. I think it may bring back some of our readers, too. Is there anyone who would like to be the moderator of this list? I'd like to spread out the responsibilities some. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:58:40 -0500 (CDT) > Could you please chill the fuck out?????????????? I think that phrase would best be applied to you, my friend. -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:52:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: i sorry I'd like to apologize for yelling at Frankenberry. But I wasn't actually seriously upset. Then I realized only I would be able to detect my joking tone. I understand why the unrelated things are annoying, but my point is we ALL need to chill the fuck out, the buttknobs and the non-buttknobs alike. I'll get off my stump now. Hey, I never flame, I think I deserve a turn. Can't we all just get along?? *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:11:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: fave lines Here! I'll add to the tmbg-relevant threads. I too can be a contributing member of society. "I love the world, and if I have to sue for custody, I will sue for custody." ---Stand on Your Own Head and of course, *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:09:22 -0400 Subject: Re: Frankenberry In a message dated 96-06-11 02:19:05 EDT, marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) writes: >I can't walk into a sports bar and tell everyone to stop blabbing on about >the Bulls and talk to me about the Sonics. And insulting folks to try to get >a more mature forum just doesn't seem too logical. That's right, and you can't go into a sportbar, talk about BUTTKNOBs, and expect to be humored. This is not a Buttknob Bar, it is a TMBG (They Might Be Giants, in case you have all forgotten) *Bar* in which you can not go in and talk only of Buttknobs, yes, perhaps in a Sports Bar, if you know of a player with an ilness (say lactose intolerence) you could talk about that, But you can't talk about buttknobs! I'm not asking nicely... I realize that... I don't like participating in on-list flames but I'm getting rather pissed about this... King of the Soapbox... a spooky man named Ike ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:19:58 -0400 Subject: Re: Off topic discussions+OAT In a message dated 96-06-11 09:43:05 EDT, bicknell@ufp.org (Leo Bicknell) writes: >I've decided it's not >really worth trying to stop them due to the effort it would require. >To combat the problem I am going to start another, moderated >list. It will only be for real TMBG talk, concert annoucements >and soforth. This should satisfy the people who want to keep >up with TMBG but don't care about all the off topic stuff. >I think it may bring back some of our readers, too. I like this idea, for some reasons, well, for many reasons, but I wouldn't like the purge it would create... It's already bad enough with the Usenet vs. List wars and Irc vs. Telnet wars... Why don't you make a list called unrelated-list@tmbg.org (or something) and have this list remain as the really about tmbg list? Then all the unrelated people can subscribe to that as well, but we don't have to lose everybody... besides this list wouldn't be as fun without everybody... OAT: Mono Puff is out today! Shouldn't we be calling Empty-V? Come on Mono Puff! Don't worry be happy! a spooky man named Ike ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: specials Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:26:01 -0400 (EDT) I saw a very good Specials show in Washington, DC yesterday, really good stuff! The rude boys and ska fiends a-like were enjoyin it. The bass player, Horace, said, "Really good audience, Washington" or something like that. It was amazing the first totally movement free concert, I barely contacted anyone in a painful manner, no moshing, no surfing, yahh! Well I am stuck here without a car so I can't go get Monopuff 8-( Imust get that album today! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: concert Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:01:49 -0400 (EDT) I wonder when the Giants will put on a performance in Lancaster among the Amish? (with those blue wonder hats from the almighty?) I think the Amish'd really get into it! Waiting patiently 8-) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 17:33:30 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Mono Puff Did anyone get the Mono Puff Cd yet? The stores in my town haven't even heard of Mono Puff...they were like, "Maybe it'll be in next week's delivery..." guess i'll just hafta order it. =================== AmY seta@spectra.net amy@tmbg.org anangel@tmbg.org =================== C\_/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 17:39:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: monopuff "I've got Mono!" That should be the slogan for Monopuff. Just joshing, of course. I just got "Unsupervised." I really like it. It's not what I expected, even after hearing the EP. I LOVE Dr. Kildare!! I really like how varied the album is, how there is no predicting what "type" of song is going to come next. Don't I have The Right? is on now. I really like Nancy Lynn Howell's voice. I have always sort of had a little bit of a weak spot for country and western type love songs, so I can really dig that track. Anyhoo, I give it both thumbs up. The Johns, individually and collectively, will never fail to amaze me. Wow, Nixon's the one has a cool intro. It wasn't like that on the EP. Still a shorty though. But a perfect ending for the album. ---Nola--- ------------------------------ From: StarlingV@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:43:31 -0400 Subject: Flansburgh live on AOL a week from today! Howdy, all; I thought I'd pass this along to the list. 06/18 John Flansburgh for SPINonline 11:00pm ET (Globe) John Flansburgh, sometimes known as the big guy in They Might Be Giants who plays guitar, is quite the indie entrepreneur. First, he started the Hello CD of the Month Club that has released original material from the likes of XTC's Andy Partridge, The Cocktails, and the Residents. In TMBG, John and bandmate John Linnell were known for their Brooklyn phone number that gave dialers a new song each day. Now John has released "Unsupervised," an album under the moniker "Mono Puff" on Rykodisk. The band is a side project that gathers different talents to experiment with genres and songs. "Mono Puff" is made up of John, Hal Cragin, who has been recording and touring with Iggy Pop, and Steve Calhoun, the drummer for New York's Skeleton Key. The album goes from the Dick Dale/Munsters influenced "Guitar Was The Case" to the more funky "Distant Antenna," which features actress Elena Lowensohn from the film Nadja doing a lo-fi voice-over. Of course, "Unsupervised" also has a couple of signature John Flansburgh songs that fit well into this pot pourri. Never fear, though, John hasn't left They Might Be Giants for other pastures. In fact, John and John Linnell are in the studio right now finishing up a new TMBG album that will be out in the fall. Come say howdy to John Flansburgh in the SPINonline Lounge/Globe on Tuesday, June 18th at 11:00pm ET. Ask him about "Mono Puff." Grill him about the new They Might Be Giants album. And kindly inquire about his work with all the different artists that have appeared on his Hello CD of the Month Club releases. Event Keyword: "SPIN" Date: June 18 Time: 11:00pm ET (C) 1996 America Online, Inc. Transmitted: 6/7/96 3:31 AM I'll be making a log of this session and will post a transcript to the list!!! Hope to see you other AOLers there! Janis ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:56:45 -0400 Subject: Re: Favorite Lines I saw everybody post their fav lines, so I thought that I should jump on the bandwagon myself! I'm surprised that no one has said this one yet.......... "Somebody put their finger in the President's ears/ It wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's wax." That line always did crack me up.......... tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 20:00:50 -0400 Subject: Re:Frankenberry >I can't walk into a sports bar and tell everyone to stop blabbing on about >the Bulls and talk to me about the Sonics. Speaking of the Bulls, they are going to win tomorrow. No doubt about it. I just hope that my wonderful city doesn't resort to violence when we win. (I will be at the celebration at Grant Park however). Woo-hah! tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 20:07:33 -0400 Subject: Re: Off topic discussions >To combat the problem I am going to start another, moderated >list. It will only be for real TMBG talk, concert annoucements >and soforth. This should satisfy the people who want to keep >up with TMBG but don't care about all the off topic stuff. No offense Leo, but I don't think that this would be a good idea. Does that mean that there would be 2 different lists? One which would allow the off-topic discussions, and one that wouldn't? So that people would not be receiving the same messages? And people would have to subscribe to both? The off-topic discussions sometimes are annoying, but I think that people should just not read the "other stuff" if they don't want to. You can pick and choose which ones to read/ not read. Just my thoughts. tucker ------------------------------ Date: 11 Jun 96 20:22:43 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: STOP IT! Ok the buttknob thing must stop. But, the best way to stop is to just ignore it. Anyone knows that eventually threads will die, and personnaly I find it just as anoying to find a mailbox stuffed with "no more buttknob" messages. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 18:25:18 -0700 From: sargos@ix.netcom.com (kenneth herniman ) Subject: re:no Mono Puff hi- speaking of being far away from the area most frequented (did i spell that right?) i lve in Florida- you know how hard it was for me to even find the Unsupervized album?- no of course you dont- i had to go to 8 differrent stores and 3 malls before i found it- it sucks being a TMBG fan in florida- oh well the prices you pay huh?- -Ken ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 21:34:57 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: Re: Frankenberry+STOP IT I really didn't come on this list to get into personal fencing matches, so I'm just going to consider everything dropped. Hopefully by now, everyone has realized what this list is about. Keep it clean, keep it relevant, and try to keep it friendly. We definitely don't need a new vs. old comer schism, and a clean vs. dirty debate never should have been an issue. I personally am not going to respond to anymore of this trash-talking. So... anybody heard anything about TMBG lately? ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 21:34:53 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (House of Brian and David) Subject: Re: Frankenberry+STOP IT I really didn't come on this list to get into personal fencing matches, so I'm just going to consider everything dropped. Hopefully by now, everyone has realized what this list is about. Keep it clean, keep it relevant, and try to keep it friendly. We definitely don't need a new vs. old comer schism, and a clean vs. dirty debate never should have been an issue. I personally am not going to respond to anymore of this trash-talking. So... anybody heard anything about TMBG lately? ################################################ # Come on red wheelbarrow, ________ # # So much depends upon you! \____/ # # O \ # ################################################ Marcus@coastalnet.com ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: hello cd club Date: 12 Jun 1996 03:24:50 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine So, who out there is part of the hello cd club? And is it worth it? Please tell me, as i almost got on it, but didn't. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 22:05:33 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Mono Puff- "Devil" EP Look at me, on topic and everything... I purchased my own copy of the beautiful Mono Puff Album, and I will get to my feelings about each wonderful (little) song later. Right now I have a question. On the inside of the CD it said something about a "Devil" EP which refers to the song of a similar name on the Album, but I'm wondering, is it going to have spiffy-new-B-sides and will I ever be able to find it in stores? Oh, and has this EP been released yet? And if it has why aren't we calling Mtv and requesting the heck out of the song? um okay, no OAT this time... Uncalled for advert: Visit Ruprecht's _Crazy_ Homepage at: http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ for more fun than you'd expect from a two-bit hack like me! a spooky man named Ike ------------------------------ From: TMBGroupie@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 23:16:16 -0400 Subject: Justin's question about WDTSS in Fairfax and a note to Dan.... I was at that show...it was really great, with the exception of the fun people pushing, and crowd surfing. My view was kind of obstructed by the event staff and half the Fairfax county police department who were called in to hold up the fence, but I was right up front, so who am I to complain? In answer to your question, I was one of the lucky people to get a Set List, so here it is (typed exactly as it appears on the list): SUBLIM POLK /TWIST GIRL DON'T OLDER SUN ANA SEXXY ISTAN FAKER SENSUR NYQUIL ----- ENSOR XTC GUITAR PARTICLE SPIDER SLEEPIN' /BIRD /SNAIL SPY That ----- was where they played their awesome rendition of "Takin' Care of Business"... 2 kewl. Oh, and if anyone knows what the slashes mean, please inform me. I thought maybe it was when they went right from one song to another, but I remember they went right into Istanbul, but there's no slash before it. Was anyone here up front at the Fairfax concert? Maybe we ran into each other! And now you're older still....... -me. By the way, Dan, Alex is a little annoyed with you for shouting the lyrics so loud he couldn't hear Them singing, and for pushing so much. I understand you were probably pushed yourself, but maybe tone the singing down to the volume at which the rest of us sing at concerts? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:15:21 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album >> And how exactly does a group of jr. high kids act any differently, with or >> without candy bars? Are you trying to suggest that sugar causes >> hyperactivity, or even sophmoric humor? Hmmm...this is indeed interesting. >> I know they have proven that sugar is not in any way capable of giving you a >> `sugar high', but about the sophmoric humor thing, I'm not sure. Maybe we >> can contact berkeley and see if they'd do a study on that... >If that was honestly written in order to flame him, or get him pissed off at >you, or something: > A) you really need a life Hey, I was indeed trying to make that point clear. You can not get a `high' off of sugar. It is not a substance that causes hyperactivity like that of caffeine. Sorrrrrrry if I offended anyone by pointing this out, and if I did offend anyone, then they are all buttknobs. mike (Leahcim ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:18:25 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Off topic discussions > Is there anyone who would like to be the moderator of >this list? I'd like to spread out the responsibilities some. Hmm... I'd love to help out on moderating some of the list. Always glad to help.. mike (Leahcim) ------------------------------ Date: 11 Jun 96 20:33:07 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: HELP ME PLEASE! Alright people. I have to write one off-subject message. Yearbooks came out yesterday, and I am known for my clever signatures. However, Althought a have great quotes from assorted places for all of my friends, I need some for other people. So could you please E-mail any quotes to me so not to upset the offtopic mailing gods. BTW they don't have to be TMBG quotes and I sdon't care if they are. They should be funny too because I'm like that. So please send them. Please Please Please. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 21:45:47 -0700 From: Scott Organization: Rainy Day Software Subject: cd-roms some cd-roms can be played in regular cd players.. pop your mechwarrior 2 cd in your player, and it'll skip the first track, but it'll play the rest. it depends on how the company made the program/cd (i.e. whether or not the whole thing is one huge track or not). -- / | |\ / /|\ /|\ / | | \/ / | \ / | \ / | |\ / / | \ / | \ ----- |\ | \/ | | / | \ | | | / | \ | | | / | \ | | | / |\ /\ /|\ | \/ / | \ / \ / | \ | /\ / | / \ / / | \ | / \ ------ |/ \/ | | \ / / | /\ | | \/ / | / \ | | /\ / | / \ | | / \ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: monopuff Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:54:12 -0400 (EDT) Well I found out how much malls suck today, especially record stores in malls. I went to my favorite record store today that gets just about eve4rything (that ain't in a mall) and they were SOLD OUT of Monopuff, yes completely sold out in less than one day, way to go John F.!! Eveery other store I went to, even Waxie Maxies, whom I thought weren't that bad had not even heard of it. Now I would have gone down to the best store of all, The Sound Garden but that was too far away, all the way downtown, but when I get to work tomorrow I know where I'm going for lunch! Really sucks that I could not get the album today but I hguess I can wait 1 day extra. On a better note I saw the movie UHF today with my friend, Sarah (hi Sarah!). It was great and hilarious. I love the flying poodles and the cheese whiz hotdogs on twinkies, and Stanley Spadowski! Oh and of course Emo Phillips! Ahh good, funny Weird Al movie there. See ya'alls, Maaatt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 01:21:32 -0400 Subject: HA! HA! I went to the mall! What a joke! Two stores both go...Mono PUFF? Yeah Mono Puff you know John F's new band...errr John Flansburg is he country. I hate music stores...they didnt even offer to order it for me. ARGH! WHAT DO I DO!?!?!? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 22:35:06 -0700 From: Scott Organization: Rainy Day Software Subject: Re: Buttknobs/First Album i have to agree with the maturity freaks on this one... the buttknob deal was a bit funny at first, but it's out of control. i dropped the tmbg newsgroup because it seemed to talk more about bush than tmbg. and i don't want to waste my time listening to people debate on who's more "manly" based on their excretory matter... call me crazy... -- [i nixed the huge sig.... this is all that's left :( ] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 01:36:10 -0500 (CDT) From: axel@tmbg.org (Kurt Anderson) Subject: Re: Mono Puff- "Devil" EP >About the "The Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rockin)" EP "The Devil Went Down To Newport (Totally Rockin)" EP was released already. I found easily enough. anyway it has 4 songs on it 1. The Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rockin) 2. Oddball 3. Tryptophane 4. The Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Remade) Both Unsupervised and the Devil ep are pretty good also- when was the scheduled release date of Unsupervised? I got it at the local mall (Gurnee Mills) last Friday, with what i think was one of the last copies. oh well. buy. listen. enjoy. (aka) kurt ~~~ Kurt Anderson axel@tmbg.org ^ "...but you see there's nothing wrong with me. kaacoolguy@tmbg.org ^ You think, 'that's what you think, that's what axel@interaccess.com ^ they all say'; before I blow you away." -tmbg homepage.interaccess.com/~axel/ (its still under construction) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-164 ******************************