Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-165 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 165 Thursday, 13 June 1996 Today's Topics: Sick of subject, but... (none) Favorite Lines! I should be allowed to glue my poster! Functional?! Yes! Happy Birthday, John Linnell Re: I should be allowed to glue my poster! Re: sensurround Re: sensurround Oh baby! Re: sensurround Re: Oh baby! Unsupervised Re: sensurround Re: Hyper Henry Re: Oh baby! Re: Mono Puff- "Devil" EP Unsupervised Spiraling Shape Re: Off topic discussions Favorite Lines mono puff Re: Spiraling Shape uns. Questions for the Newsletter Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 01:48:50 -0700 From: Courtney Subject: Sick of subject, but... >>boxers (panties?) down, you settle into your favorite chair, grab a >>magazine, and begin to pee. You soon realize that ain't all your going to >> >> ... >> >would prefer to remain uncrossed. And also, if leahcim did not know he >>was going to drop a load then why was he sitting down? (hehehe) >'cause of the magazine thing.... I mean, you're kinda sleepy still, you > certainly don't want to be up and around yet, so since you can't really go > back to bed, you grab the magazine and sit down. It's quiet... there's > nobody around to bother you... you can read in peace and quiet, and if you > don't stay sitting for long, it's even kinda comfortable... Okay, people, we are exhausting this buttknob thing, but something piqued my curiousity... what about "morning wood"?! This would present a problem, eh?! You don't have to answer that... I was just curious... don't mind me, it's late... -- Courtney L. Patubo http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo George Clooney on the Web http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo/clooney.html ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:46:10 +0200 to: RELATED things.. I know I'm hardly talking to the most unbiased crew in the world, but is Sensurround worth the embarrasment and money involved in buying the Power Rangers soundtrack (Assuming I've got the track right)? Leo Bicknell wrote: >To combat the problem I am going to start another, moderated >list. It will only be for real TMBG talk, concert annoucements >and soforth. This should satisfy the people who want to keep >up with TMBG but don't care about all the off topic stuff. >I think it may bring back some of our readers, too. Pesonally, I think it would be an impossible task to moderate either the TMBG list or the unrelated list - at what point does something become unrelated? If it's completely unrelated then surely it shouldn't be on the list in the first place - if people want to take someone up on an unrelated matter then they should use the usernames displayed to contact people personally, surely? In my opinion all we need is for people (and they know who they are) to show a bit of common sense. mike (Leahcim) wrote: >Hmm... I'd love to help out on moderating some of the list. Always glad to >help.. > I'm sure you are - but previous evidence shows that you aren't particularly qualified for the job me old china! An UNRELATED thing: >some cd-roms can be played in regular cd players.. pop your mechwarrior >2 cd in your player, and it'll skip the first track, but it'll play the >rest. it depends on how the company made the program/cd (i.e. whether or >not the whole thing is one huge track or not). I really wouldn't advise this - not unless the CD-ROM specifically states that it is standard-cd compatible. From what I've been told you can end up doing serious damage to hi-fi equipment with CD-ROMs, and as far as I know, real audiophiles would have a heart attack at the mere thought. If I'm wrong please tell me! Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 02:06:13 -0700 From: Courtney Subject: Favorite Lines! Here is my contribution (in no particular order) "Thank you for the card with the cartoon nurse, but you see there's nothing wrong with me..." "shoulder, bicep, elbow, arm; forearm, thumb, wrist, knuckle, palm; middle pinky, index, ring; dinner bell dinner bell ring" "Minimum wage!" (I like that fact that that's the whole song) tank ewe. from the c-monster ------------------------------ From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:44:29 CST Subject: I should be allowed to glue my poster! Hi all, I don't post much, but I try to keep up with my daily dose of digested TMBG info. My E-Mail stopped for a whole week, giving me plenty to read when it finally came back to service. Catching up can be quite a task, if you've ever tried it. Since I've read five or six digests in a row, I'm not sure who said what or who I'm responding to. So whenever you see (someone), it's referring to one of you die hard fans. Anyway, "someone" compared TMBG to the Smiths. I love them both. Come to think of it, they do have a lot in common. Both have cheery, well done, music backing well designed lyrics- words which investigate the darker side of human existence. I love the contrast! The music hooks you in and the words have content that explore everyday life from a "not so direct" perspective. It's kind of funny, both groups have singers who's voices easily annoy people-just a side point. "Someone" also mentioned Ween. Does anyone know if a new album is on the way? Just wondering. I have a newspaper article dating back to 1992 that's about a TMBG concert. I was at this particular gig, in Milwaukee WI, when the stage collapsed. In fact, I was on the stage when it happened! The article details the event, with reactions from the Johns. If your interested in seeing it, let me know and I'll post it. Besides, I need to practice typing. How many people are subscribed to this group? Later, Mike Cairns ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 02:22:53 -0700 From: Courtney Subject: Functional?! Yes! Is the mail list functional & useful?! I think that's affirmative! I am fairly a newbie to the list, and I enjoy it, even though there are weird, non-sequitur threads now and then (I think you ALL know what I mean). If it wasn't for you guys, I would be totally late on Mono Puff. Thank you. Now I shall trot over to the Virgin Megastore in San Francisco and pick me up a copy... THEY BETTER HAVE IT (I will be p.o.'ed if they don't, they are HUGE!!). But then again, I could be disappointed. Last time I was there, they had 2 copies of Apollo 18 and 1 Flood. Either TMBG has been swept up or they just don't stock diddly squat. I'll just have to see. That's the problem with these huge stores... they have everything, but not enough... till next thyme, c-monster ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 11:28:17 MDT Subject: Happy Birthday, John Linnell This article was found on the web, as noted below: Music News Of The World - June 12, 1996 - Say It's Your Birthday: They Might Be Giants' John Linnell Looking back on it, They Might Be Giants were one of the first of the '80s alternative bands that thoroughly embraced geek chic. Formed in '84 in Brooklyn, TMBG consisted of John Flansburgh and John Linnell, who was born today in 1959 in NYC. The two Johns both played guitars and keyboards. Linnell could often be found on accordion, and the duo used drum tracks to round things out. They Might Be Giants reached mainstream success in '88, when their jingly, lighthearted, and witty songs were beamed through MTV, most notably "Don't Let's Start," off there self-titled debut. 1990 saw They Might Be Giants sign a major-record deal with Elektra, but that year's Flood was a disappoint; the polish that lacquered that album hid some of the perpetual goofiness that was central to the band's appeal. The band remained popular in Europe, and their 1994 release, John Henry, reached #64 in America. By that time, Linnell and Flansburgh had added other members to the band for recording and touring purposes. --Seth Mnookin ------------------------------------------------- Copyright ) 1996 Addicted To Noise. If you use our news, attribute to: Addicted To Noise, the on-line rock & roll magazine, http://www.addict.com/ ============================================================================= Russ Josephson http://pages.prodigy.com/GLPJ70A Berthoud, Colorado, USA russj@btc.adaptec.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "Man is that he might have joy" -- The Book Of Mormon ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: I should be allowed to glue my poster! Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:30:18 -0500 (CDT) > I have a newspaper article dating back to 1992 that's about a TMBG concert. I > was at this particular gig, in Milwaukee WI, when the stage collapsed. In > fact, I was on the stage when it happened! The article details the event, with > reactions from the Johns. If your interested in seeing it, let me know and > I'll post it. Besides, I need to practice typing. Yes, please... That would be interesting.... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: sensurround Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:27:34 -0500 (CDT) > I know I'm hardly talking to the most unbiased crew in the world, but is > Sensurround worth the embarrasment and money involved in buying the Power > Rangers soundtrack (Assuming I've got the track right)? I heard somewhere (it might have been at a concert) that They said not to buy the soundtracks because the songs were going to be on Their next album... I could be wrong, though. -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: sensurround Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 14:20:33 -0400 (EDT) > > > I know I'm hardly talking to the most unbiased crew in the world, but is > > Sensurround worth the embarrasment and money involved in buying the Power > > Rangers soundtrack (Assuming I've got the track right)? > > I heard somewhere (it might have been at a concert) that They said not to > buy the soundtracks because the songs were going to be on Their next album... > I could be wrong, though. > I believe they said that Sensurround will be on the new album at the Fairfax Fair show. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: 12 Jun 96 14:58:37 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Oh baby! As I write this message, I am listening to Unsupervised. Wow, this is good! A lot of people say that this album isn't very TMBGesc, but Unsupervised,I hit my head is very TMBGesc but with more of a rock sound to it. I like it a lot. I hope Flansie Hall and Steve continue to play together and put out another album. Oh yeah, I forgot why I wrote this. To get this album I went through no trouble, and in fact some happiness. I had forgot to go to the music store for a week and was reminded by something today. So I called first expecting that I'd have to have them order it for me. But to my surprise, the guy came back on the line saying "...We have it, Hell we can't give 'em away!" So I go down there and grab a copy and look at the price tag, $5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! But when the guy asked me why no one was buying it, I told him that the only people who would buy this would be TMBG fans. There used to be a ton after the Apollo concert we had 4 years ago, but all the students there are gone and they haven't had a concert here since. So I'm listening through for the third time, And the devil is toatally rockin'! Robbie G and 1/2 ------------------------------ Subject: Re: sensurround Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 14:11:45 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >> I heard somewhere (it might have been at a concert) that They said not to >> buy the soundtracks because the songs were going to be on Their next album... >> >I believe they said that Sensurround will be on the new album at >the Fairfax Fair show. And other concertgoers have reported that Spiralling Shape will also be on the new album. -CB, who is glad that the CDA was overturned this morning (see http://www.vtw.org/speech/ for details.) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 15:20:23 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Oh baby! MAN STINKIN' ALIVE!!!!! I can't believe you got "Unsupervised" for $5!!! Here in Cambridge, MA at an HMV store it's $15.99....... Major Bummer. Dave Gonzalez > From Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET Wed Jun 12 15:16:06 1996 > Date: 12 Jun 96 14:58:37 EDT > From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) > Subject: Oh baby! > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > the line saying "...We have it, Hell we can't give 'em away!" So I go down > there and grab a copy and look at the price tag, $5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Unsupervised Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 17:09:51 -0400 (EDT) I finally found Unsupervised and I'm going to go over there to get it in a few minutes. This was the only store in the entire city or county of Baltimore that had this CD. It totally sold out in Towson, and all of the other stores didn't have it. Nobody had heard of it except Towson. I even checked the wonderful Sound garden and they weren't even getting it until Friday (although I think they will have the Devil EP which I don't think anyone else will get). Boy, is it hard to find this CD but I got it and if it's as good as I hear then I'll be enjoyin the heck out of it! Next up, $12 tickets for Monopuff at the 9:30 club in DC on June 27! Get em thorugh Protix! Bye, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:38:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Braaaaad Subject: Re: sensurround Just recently in St. Louis they said that all of the tracks they put out for compilation records will be on the next album, so don't but any of them. And the Power Rangers soundtrack is a lot of pop and R & B - very bad for the soul. ////> ____________ c-oo -BRAd \ - On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, CYBORG wrote: > > I know I'm hardly talking to the most unbiased crew in the world, but is > > Sensurround worth the embarrasment and money involved in buying the Power > > Rangers soundtrack (Assuming I've got the track right)? > > I heard somewhere (it might have been at a concert) that They said not to > buy the soundtracks because the songs were going to be on Their next album... > I could be wrong, though. > > -CJ > _______________________________________________________________________________ > "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling > ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: > in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu > leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez > ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' > ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' > ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Hyper Henry Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 17:42:19 -0400 (EDT) > or via the FTP site: > > ftp://max.physics.sunysb.edu/pub/tmbg/misc/john_henry.hqx Just a reminder. I mirror max.physics.sunysb.edu/pub/tmbg nightly to ftp.tmbg.org:/pub/max.physics.sunysb.edu/ which might be easier to get into. Many people have reported problems with max.physics.sunysb.edu. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 17:46:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Oh baby! On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > > MAN STINKIN' ALIVE!!!!! I can't believe you got "Unsupervised" > for $5!!! Here in Cambridge, MA at an HMV store it's $15.99....... > > > the line saying "...We have it, Hell we can't give 'em away!" So I go down > > there and grab a copy and look at the price tag, $5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > Hell...i'm gone a day and a half and i miss something...what is "unsupervised"? *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 18:52:18 -0500 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: Mono Puff- "Devil" EP >when was the scheduled release date of Unsupervised? I got it at the local >mall (Gurnee Mills) last Friday, with what i think was one of the last >copies. oh well. >buy. listen. enjoy. > >(aka) >kurt So, you're the reason I couldn't find it when I was down there Monday. :P whcih store did you get it from? I'm probably gonna be there again in a few days and I'd like to know what store to ask in... -Jim ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 20:01:52 -0400 Subject: Unsupervised >>Hell...whats 'unsupervised' Unsupervised be the name of the mono puff album. Which is NO where to be found in Front Royal, Va. Anybody around the D.C. Fairfax Winchester area find it yet? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 21:49:08 -0400 From: Ira Adler Subject: Spiraling Shape Although THMG are releasing the songs from soundtracks on their new CD, I'd still recommend buying the Kids in the Hall, Brain Candy CD. It's really pretty rad. I especially like "Happiness Pie" by Bruce McCulloch (?)... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 02:09:43 -0700 From: Courtney Subject: Re: Off topic discussions Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > Why don't you make a list called unrelated-list@tmbg.org (or something) and > have this list remain as the really about tmbg list? Then all the unrelated > people can subscribe to that as well, but we don't have to lose everybody... > besides this list wouldn't be as fun without everybody... yeah, a "non-sequitur" list would be nice so others could blow off steam, but of course, everyone should stick around!! from the c-monster ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:21:24 -0700 Subject: Favorite Lines Out of the countless number of TMBG one-liners from which to choose, two in particular have stuck with me over the years: "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." These Johns of ours are geniuses. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 22:59:46 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: mono puff I went and found a copy of mono puff's alubm, after trying two stores a found a two stores that had it, of coruse I had to pay 15.99 for it as I couldn't find it at two best buy stores. I found copies at a borders and tower, so I guess try "alternative" stores. It is a great alubum Unsupervised and devil are totaly rocken :). -John Murray johns@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 20:23:49 -0700 From: Courtney Subject: Re: Spiraling Shape Ira Adler sez: > > Although THMG are releasing the songs from soundtracks on their new > CD, I'd still recommend buying the Kids in the Hall, Brain Candy CD. It's > really pretty rad. I especially like "Happiness Pie" by Bruce McCulloch (?)... That CD has taken residence in my stereo (in my 3 disc changer, permanently in the "1" slot)... I totally enjoy it. I have taken quite a liking to Pizzicato Five (the song "Nata di Marzo" is on the KITH soundtrack)... check them out! They are kewl (but nothing compares to TMBG, of course). "He's gay!" (a quote from track 6) from the c-monster ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: uns. Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 23:46:08 -0400 (EDT) When I went to Waxie Maxies as a last ditch effort to buy Monopuff last evening I found out that they were not an "alternative" enough store to stock Monopuff from the guy at the counter. What does that mean? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 00:21:15 -0400 Subject: Questions for the Newsletter Begin quoted message... *-------------------------------------------------------- Hey everyone! The new TMBG Newsletter should Be going out sometime in July. We are now compiling fan questions for the "John and John Answer Your Questions" portion. So....... you can e-mail any questions you may be seeking answers for and They just Might appear in the newsletter. E-mail to DeptPPFNP@aol.com. Be sure to include your name and the town you are from. Also, midnight Sunday (Father's day) is the cut off for sending in submissions, so don't delay! *---------------------------------------------------------- end quoted message Love, Brooks ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-165 ******************************