Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-166 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 166 Friday, 14 June 1996 Today's Topics: The poster has been glued!! Spiralling Shape Long distance TMBG fans Videotape Trade Re: Spiralling Shape CD-ROMs in Audio CD Players Re: Spiralling Shape Re: Spiraling Shape Re: Spiralling Shape Re: Favorite Lines Mono Puff Single and Album Re: Cd-roms Re: Questions for the Newsletter Mono Puff Monopuff... Compilations and the Infamous New Album Re: uns. video boot Unsupervised Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Birthdays Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Devo? tmbg-related question A little here and there Re: Devo? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 03:48:20 CST Subject: The poster has been glued!! Here is that TMBG article- by popular demand. I originally said both Johns comment, when only Flansburgh does; as usual. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. Add this to your sites if you wish. Please, share with the world this fine piece of rock history. Enjoy!! This article was taken from the Milwaukee(WI) Journal on Tuesday, October 6, 1992. ROCK POLKA BRINGS DOWN THE HOUSE Platform collapses after teens at concert rush the stage By Tina Maples(Journal music critic) The members of the New York band They Might Be Giants learned an important lesson in concert protocol Monday night: Yelling "Polka!" in Milwaukee is like yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater. About 20 young concert-goers were slightly injured Monday night at the Modjeska Theater when a platform over the orchestra pit collapsed under the weight of dancers who answered a band member's call from the stage to "C'mon up and help polka." Three people - two young women and a young man - were treated for minor injuries at St. Luke's Medical Center, a hospital spokesman said early Tuesday. The other injured dancers, most of whom were teenagers, refused treatment, according to a spokesman from Bell Ambulance. There undoubtedly were a few elevated blood pressure readings among the parents who came to pick up their children and found three ambulances parked in front of the theater at 1134 W. Mitchell St. Accident or Adventure? Shortly after the incident, there were signs that the young Giants fans probably regarded the fall less as an accident than as an adventure. And they had battle scars to prove to their friends that they were there. In the lobby, after the platform collapsed, bags of ice intended for soda were held on banged-up shins and scraped knees. Allison Kay, 15, who had caused quite a stir when she left the theater crying and holding her stomach, sat red-eyed on the lobby floor chewing ice cubes from a paper cup and gingerly peeking at her blotchy, scraped abdomen. Two of her friends from West Bend East High School anxiously hovered nearby. The worst thing was the shock of having the floor drop from under her, Allison said. A few minutes later, she seemed less concerned about what had happened than what she was missing. "Darn, I wanted to see the rest of the show," she said as inside, the band resumed playing. Suddenly, she jumped up as though looking for something. Her friends leaned forward, concerned. "Hey, did you remember to grab my T-shirt?" Allison said. She was treated later at St. Luke's. MOST OF CROWD STOOD Monday's concert didn't start as the kind of show that would incite a polka riot. Although the mostly high school and college-age crowd of about 900 stood throughout the show, security guards had little trouble keeping the aisles clear. Giants fans were content to happily bop on their seats. They jumped straight up and down as accordionist John Linnell, 33, and guitarist John Flansburgh, 32, punched out droll, melodic pop tunes such as "Particle Man" and "The Guitar" - the latter an exuberant bit of nonsense built around the 60's hit, "The Lion sleeps Tonight." The brooklyn-based Giants, who recently expanded from a duo to a quintet, were about an hour into the show and had just finished an older song called "Purple Toupee" when the bespectacled, studious-looking Flansburgh invited the audience to "C'mon up and help polka." "He made the statement that, 'For this song we want you to disregard the fire codes and come down and dance in the aisles. We're going to do a polka number,'" said Bob Wren, 33. The crowd took Flansburgh at his word. Between 60 to 80 young people surged past surprised security guards and onto the front part of the stage. The band " asked people to join in the dancing - in the aisles," said Alex Inman, 19. "The stage just got swamped." After holding up under a few minutes of frantic polka-ing, the platform suddenly gave way. The dancers on the stage toppled several feet into the Modjeska's shallow pit, while those in the front row dodged falling bodies and splintering wood. The house lights came up as the band urged people to quietly take their seats - which they did. Those with injuries were instructed to go to the lobby. "I meant in the aisles, guys," a visibly shaken Flansburgh said as he peered into the wreckage. "I wasn't trying to be Axl Rose." Once it was determined that no one was seriously hurt, the band played for another 20 minutes at the crowds urging. Backstage after the show, an anxious-looking Flansburgh waved off the offer of a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken while trying to find someone to drive him to St. Luke's. "I feel really bad about it," the guitarist said as he clutched a fistful of T-shirts to give to the hurt fans. "It was the sweetest, most well-behaved crowd up to that point.... It's amazing, but even when they were up on stage, they never violated our personal space. Sometimes we have people pulling us into the crowd. I feel pretty foolish right now." The Modjeska Theater, built in 1924, has been renovated over the past year. Efforts to bill the 2,000 seat venue as a concert hall have brought more performers to the South Side theater, including former Talking Heads singer David Byrne and the alternative rock band Faith No More. Pete Jest, a representative of Cellar Door, the concert promoter,said his agency, had discussed removing the platform to make room for dancing near the front of the stage. *------------------------------------------ Journal reporter Mark Edmund contributed to this report. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:09:00 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Spiralling Shape I tried to get on to the interp of Spiralling Shape just now via the Web Site, but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I reckon the song's about drugs. But that's as much as I can work out. Is it referring to any particular drug. Or am I completely off the mark here? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 21:13:50 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Long distance TMBG fans > speaking of being far away from the area most frequented (did i spell >that right?) i lve in Florida- you know how hard it was for me to even >find the Unsupervized album?- no of course you dont- i had to go to 8 >differrent stores and 3 malls before i found it- it sucks being a TMBG >fan in florida- oh well the prices you pay huh?- > -Ken Does anyone know what being far away from the action actually means!? 'm talking other side of the globe when I say I live a long way from where the stuff happens. Australia isn't exactly the easiest place from which to find out TMBG stuff. Although, I did order The two Mono Puff CDs and I've been promised them by next week. :) Also, there's only three TMBG albums abailable on order now. Flood (import), Apollo 18 (import) and John Henry which is still local. I don't know if you would get the bonus live CD in that or not. But, my local record store definitely does have the special Australian tour edition CD on the shelf. Lucky me, huh? Oh well, maybe not. Cyas, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: jdking@sprynet.com Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 07:38:45 -0700 Subject: Videotape Trade I've got hours of TMBG on tv. If anyone would like to trade for copies of them, e-mail me at: jdking@sprynet.com Jon King ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:25:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Spiralling Shape On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > I tried to get on to the interp of Spiralling Shape just now via the Web > Site, but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I reckon the song's about drugs. > But that's as much as I can work out. Is it referring to any particular > drug. Or am I completely off the mark here? > After a couple listens at a record store I got the impression linnell was talking about the milky way galaxy... erik ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:47:38 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: CD-ROMs in Audio CD Players >I really wouldn't advise this - not unless the CD-ROM specifically states that >it is standard-cd compatible. From what I've been told you can end up doing >serious damage to hi-fi equipment with CD-ROMs, and as far as I know, real >audiophiles would have a heart attack at the mere thought. If I'm wrong >please tell me! >Fritz There are some CD-ROMs which are specifically made to be played in normal CD players and CD-ROM drives. For example, the Marathon (a very popular game for the Mac) CD has audio tracks of the background music which are playable in a normal CD player or through the AudioCD player on your computer (if you have a CD-ROM drive and if you have an AudioCD player on your computer, Macs come with them). You can do really wierd things with CDs like with that X-Files soundtrack which has two tracks before the first one that you have to rewind intro the negative time to play...REALLY wierd. Anyway, it all depends on what the company does...that's all. Bye! Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:50:58 -0400 From: Ira Adler Subject: Re: Spiralling Shape At 12:25 PM 6/13/96 -0500, you wrote: > > >On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > >> >> I tried to get on to the interp of Spiralling Shape just now via the Web >> Site, but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I reckon the song's about drugs. >> But that's as much as I can work out. Is it referring to any particular >> drug. Or am I completely off the mark here? >> > After a couple listens at a record store I got the impression >linnell was talking about the milky way galaxy... > Can we ever truly know what Linnell meant w/o asking him? Then again, would he answer us? (Probably not)... Ah well... My fav lines from songs would be: "I promise not to kill you!" "So take the hand of Mister me and Mister, make him glad. To swim the Mister Misty sea and cease the mister mystery that Mister, made him sad." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:06:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Spiraling Shape On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Ira Adler wrote: > Although THMG are releasing the songs from soundtracks on their new > CD, I'd still recommend buying the Kids in the Hall, Brain Candy CD. It's > really pretty rad. I especially like "Happiness Pie" by Bruce McCulloch (?)... > i guess you're wondering what's in this pie.... well, it's 2 cups love, a cup and a half of understanding, a tablespoon of good, old fashioned compassion, sugar to taste, and the ovens...are our hearts. i also recommend this CD, my favs are TMBG (of course), cibo matto, stereolab, and of course: Shawdowy Men on a Showdowy Planet. by the way "i'm gay" byt scott tompson is also really cool. hell, they're all pretty good...so get it! sarah, who'll never see herself in the mirror with her eyes closed ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Spiralling Shape Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:09:39 -0500 (CDT) > Can we ever truly know what Linnell meant w/o asking him? Then > again, would he answer us? (Probably not)... Ah well... No, but it's not the final answer that matters... it's the neverending search that preceeds it! _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:12:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Favorite Lines On Wed, 12 Jun 1996 bartush@calweb.com wrote: > Out of the countless number of TMBG one-liners from which to choose, two in particular > have stuck with me over the years: > "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." > "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't > thinking isn't thinking of." you know what, i was using the latter quote in people's yerbooks, it was really cool. i kept getting really odd looks. there were some others i used, but i don't want to trouble you with more mail to read. sarah, who's actual size ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:37:13 -0700 (PDT) From: Littlewood Subject: Mono Puff Single and Album If you live in the Portland, OR area, you can find (if its still there) a copy of both the Devil single and Unsupervised album at Tower Records and Books. The one that I got it at was right near the Gresham transfer station (email me if interested in how to get there). The single was $4.95 and the album was $15.99 (but I hade a discount!). BTW- it _totally_ rocks! I really like almost all of the tracks on the album, and the single kicks. If you've got the money, try to get it. Er, that's all. Till next time, -JL- --- New TMBG web page! Go to http://www.europa.com/~alittlew/tmbg.html (you might see something you like!) Send comments and suggestions (please!) to alittlew@europa.com or alittlew@reed.edu. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:43:20 -0700 From: Scott Organization: Rainy Day Software Subject: Re: Cd-roms >I really wouldn't advise this - not unless the CD-ROM specifically >states that it is standard-cd compatible. From what I've been told you >can end up doing serious damage to hi-fi equipment with CD-ROMs, and as >far as I know, real audiophiles would have a heart attack at the mere >thought. If I'm wrong please tell me! well, i know that the warcraft 2 cd won't play, but the mw2 cd does! no damage! and how exactly would this damage it? cd's are optical, so nothing ever touches the cd (not in the data area, leastways)?! i know that when you play the first track of a cd-rom (with music tracks after) the first track is just skipped. it plays fer a second, then moves on, deciding that there's no music. i've had no damage playing cd-roms with only the one data track in the regular cd-player. of course, if you've got a multi-million dollar setup, i would reccomend doing it, but i am pretty sure there's no danger. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:54:38 -0400 Subject: Re: Questions for the Newsletter In a message dated 96-06-13 00:24:13 EDT, Brooksie2@aol.com writes: > The new TMBG Newsletter should Be going out sometime in July. We are now > compiling fan questions for the "John and John Answer Your Questions" > portion. So....... you can e-mail any questions you may be seeking answers > for and They just Might appear in the newsletter. E-mail to > DeptPPFNP@aol.com. Be sure to include your name and the town you are from. > Also, midnight Sunday (Father's day) is the cut off for sending in > submissions, so don't delay! > Okay everybody, I think we should think up some important questions, like the missing lyrics to various songs, how will Mono Puff fill an entire concert with just thirty minutes of music on the record plus the EP, or, well that's all I can think of, but I''m sure there's something else way down deep inside me I can feel it coming back... a spooky man named Ike I'm messing with the new mail features of aol 3.0, so tell me if it works, anyway this letter should look nifty cool if you're using aol and have upgraded ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Mono Puff Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 18:15:02 18000 He brought his red surfboard to race against the Lord.... Anyway... I only found the Mono Puff CD at a Spec's Music store. I used to think that they were bastards. They still may be, but they were the only ones with the Mono Puff album, I got it for $15.99. Whoever paid $5.... you were LUCKY! argh! And on the same day I bought the best of Devo CD. Go figure. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 18:27:41 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: Monopuff... so i went to this music store the other day (it's called Bibelot) and i searched their computer for Monopuff, didn't find it and then i looked under TMBG and part of that said "see also John Flansburgh" so i went to that and found Monopuff and it said TBA. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! i was frustrated. i want it now. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:01:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Compilations and the Infamous New Album > >Just recently in St. Louis they said that all of the tracks they put out >for compilation records will be on the next album, so don't but any of them. > Wait a sec...we know now that SenSurround will be on the next album, and we've known that Spiralling Shape will be for a while now...anything else? I'm certain that the two covers won't be on the album, but does this mean that they'll have more soundtracks coming out before September? /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I spend too much time raiding windmills. We go side by side, laugh until | \-------it's right." Toad The Wet Sprocket, "Windmills"---------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:24:16 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: uns. Matthew James wrote: > > When I went to Waxie Maxies as a last ditch effort to buy Monopuff last evening > I found out that they were not an "alternative" enough store to stock Monopuff > from the guy at the counter. What does that mean? In plain english, it means they suck. :) -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:52:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: video boot hey now everybody hey now everybody hey now everybody now. I just got my video bootleg from Russ Josephson, and it is wondyful! There is so much on it that I have never seen. It's really cool to be able to see the talk show appearances that came on when Flood and Apollo 18 were new. It's so funny to see John and John and there early nineties hair and they look younger. My only complaint is the doofy interviewers like John Kendall and the blonde guy who looks like Hulk Hogan or something. Where do these people come from? But John and John come out shiningly witty and unscathed by it all. Gotta love dem dere Giants. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:36:55 -0700 Subject: Unsupervised I just picked up a copy of "Unsupervised" on June 12th (Linnell's birthday!!). I've only listened to it as a sort of background, but I must admit it's far better than I imagined it to be. I was a bit wary about what I figured would be a more guitar-oriented sound, but it's "totally rocking!" I particularly love the title of the song "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" although I can't really figure out why. Maybe it's because it's a bit unusual to have a comma in a song title. Luckily, I had no trouble finding the album. The first store I went to (Tower Records) had one copy and I bought it! I don't know if they stocked low or if there was a mad rush of Mono Puff-buying the day it came out, but judging from the reaction of most people (TMBG fans included) when I tell them I just bought the new Mono Puff CD, I don't think the latter case is the most likely. Now I have a rockin' selection in my five-disc CD changer: 1. Mono Puff - "Unsupervised" 2. TMBG - (varies) 3. Drink Me - "Sleep" 4. Devo - "Devo Greatest Hits" 5. Kids in the Hall "Brain Candy" Soundtrack Speaking of Devo, I heard a rumor that they will be touring with Lollapalooza this year. Can anyone confirm this?? If this is true, than I am DEFINITELY going to brave the hoardes of metalheads and alterna-punks and even shell out the 30-or-so dollars to go to the show. Has anyone else heard about this or is my source full of shit?? Please let me know. It sounds much too good to be true. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 20:51:44 -0400 Subject: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Guten Tag Meine Freunde! Anyway, I thought I might tell you all my feelings on the various tracks of Mono Puff / Unsupervised, sorry Porkman... A plus means it's a song I really like, but those are my opinions... Don't flame me for the style of music that I think a song borrows from, I'm just uninformed... 1 Guitar Was The Case This is a kick a-- mostly instrumental that seems semi-grunge-influenced, the best part is that it really does sound like a sort-of chase scene/detective movie kinda song... + 2 Unsupervised, I Hit My Head A cool song with a fast chorus and mellow verses. I've been told that there are more verses in this version than the Demo, or so I've been told. This is one of the more Giantesque songs on the record. + 3 Don't Break the Heart This song is one of those sort of lite rock pop love songs John seems to like to do. I bit like I've got a match, while not as good. Not my favourite song on the record. 4 Distant Antenna One of my very favourite songs on the record. There's this great vocal track by this foreign actress, Elina Loewensohn. Her accent is wonderful, what I wouldn't give to here her say "Mono Puff", just one more time. This song seems a bit funk-influenced... ++ 5 The Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rocking) Apparently, this is a cover, or was written by somebody for Flans. Regardless, this will make a for a really good single, if it gets any real airplay to begin with. It's a hilarious song "They were surfing for souls, to the beat of rock and roll, alright". Hilarious. + 6 What Bothers the Spaceman I think it's the teeth in his head but I'm not exactly sure. Anyway, this is a really good song with a very nice horn part. Almost the sort of thing you'd expect from early tmbg, but with a keyboard of course. Almost + 7 Hello Hello I'm not sure what to say about this one, a pretty normal song, aside from the Joshua Fried influence, he always knows how to make things odd. 8 Dr. Kildare A very cool song, but I always was a sucker for horns. This song sounds heavily ska influenced, but I really wouldn't know. I got in trouble the last time I claimed to know something about ska. + 9 So Long, Mockingbird This song, to me, seems to drag. The upside is the good hammond organ part. It probably has some very deep lyrics, but I haven't bothered to listen closely. 10 Careless Santa Another addition to Flans list of Christmas fetish songs. I think it has something to do with a bank robbery gone wrong, but I'm probably wrong. 11 Don't I Have the Right? Although I was gonna say that "Don't Break..." was country influenced, this song _is_ country. My favourite line is "Pour milk in my coffee and watch it explode, and hope that you're doing the same" because of the great coffee visual it gives me. Very good lyrics, but I'd say the music doesn't do them justice. 12 To Serve Mankind For many reasons this may be my favourite song on the album. First, is the refence to a Twilight Zone episode of the same name. Second, is the fact that it is almost completely a vocal track, yet sounds instrumental. Third, it's just plain cool... +++ 13 Nixon's the One When they look back they will realize, Nixon's the one. that's the whole song, what do you think? Um. yes, go out and BUY this album it RULES! whew, I'm done... OAT (Other Assorted Trivia, thanks to Sean somebody): After listening to the album about thirty times already, I'm beginning to wonder how they can tour with this. I guess a lot of covers or Giants' songs. Also, do you think they will tour with a horn section. a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:54:32 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: Birthdays Hey, I haven't been keeping up with the list, and when I did catch up I saw that John's birthday was June 12. This is important to me because mine is June 12. WOW! That's it... thanks for your time -- "...just imagine, an airplane diving to its doom with the everyone inside beating off...," -Brodey, Mallrats ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 23:23:30 18000 > 12 To Serve Mankind > For many reasons this may be my favourite song on the album. First, is > the refence to a Twilight Zone episode of the same name. Second, is the fact > that it is almost completely a vocal track, yet sounds instrumental. Third, > it's just plain cool... +++ Well. . . . it actually IS instrumental, seeing as how the voices are all synthesizer generated. I probably could have written this on my old Casio 24 key keyboard, if I had had any talent :) It's still cool, though, i'm not knocking it!! *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Devo? Date: 14 Jun 1996 04:35:49 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Okay, after several references to this band, I'm finally gonna ask: Who is Devo, and what do they play? Please don't hurt me-- just realize I'm stupid and forgive me... Oh and answer me too. Thanx. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:53:27 GMT From: Trey Miller Subject: tmbg-related question I have been a fan for eight years, and finally saw them live in January in DC. Needless to say, I was more than impressed. Actually, the word "awe" comes to mind. Not to steal the spotligh from TMBG, but does anyone know how I can find any of the Candy Butchers recordings? The CB opened that night, and they talked about an album coming out soon . . . I should mention that I currently live in Australia. Trey ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 00:57:31 -0400 Subject: A little here and there Hello 41- I'm fairly new to this, but I'll talk anyways. First of all, any Central Florida people can order Unsupervised, and the Devil at Atlantic Sounds, and probably many other places, I get mine Tuesday. Devo Stuff: The Smart Patrol CD has been delayed for awhile, a date in not known, I belive. They are supposed to be playing West Coast Dates on the Lollapalooza tour, but I have heard rumors of that not working out. As for the band, they do such songs as "Whip It", "Girl U Want" (Recently Covered by Sound Garden I belive) "That's Good", Mongoloid Covers of "Satisfaction", "Secret Agent Man", "Workin' In The Coal Mine", and more. They are a great band that many TMBG fans would probably enjoy as well. Nit ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 23:47:39 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Devo? Chris Moesel wrote: > Okay, after several references to this band, I'm finally gonna ask: Who is > Devo, and what do they play? Please don't hurt me-- just realize I'm stupid > and forgive me... Oh and answer me too. Thanx. Uhm, you are forgiven... but you may smack your head on the nearest concrete wall once you hear this: Devo (a totally rockin' band) is what I consider the epitome of early 1980's music. They spat out hits like "Whip It", "The Girl U Want" and a rockin' remake of the Stones' "I Can't get No (Satisfaction)". They are best known as those dudes in the music video with those funky stacked red hats. :) -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-166 ******************************