Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-167 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 167 Saturday, 15 June 1996 Today's Topics: (none) soundtracks + new album = more to buy Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT A little pissing and moaning + a Mono Puff comment Pain and suffering Mono-puff-o-rama Re: Mono-puff-o-rama + UWA Particleman vs. Spiderman I've got MONO! New list? Anyone willing to help a British TMBG fan? TMBG Albums Re: Mono Puff Critique Re: concert Hello & Questions for J&J Re: Mono-puff-o-rama Re: your mail Re: Self called nowhere.... I need some info Words of The Johns, th Nectur of Gods... Re: Devo? Middle Names + OAT Candy Butchers Mono Puff EP Hello email New list Fav line Re: Particleman vs. Spiderman TMBG is rap??? Unsespected bonding Mono Puff and Public Radio Re: Unsespected bonding Mountain Stage Bibelot Re: TMBG is rap??? street clothes Re: street clothes Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:37:44 +0200 to: >damage! and how exactly would this damage it? cd's are optical, so >nothing ever touches the cd (not in the data area, leastways)?! i know >that when you play the first track of a cd-rom (with music tracks after) >the first track is just skipped. it plays fer a second, then moves on, >deciding that there's no music. i've had no damage playing cd-roms with >only the one data track in the regular cd-player. of course, if you've >got a multi-million dollar setup, i would reccomend doing it, but i am >pretty sure there's no danger. I'm not too sure of the details - but I'm not talking about damage to the CD, or even the CD player itself, it's your amplifier/speakers that may be the problem - this info may not be accurate because I heard it a long time ago and I'm no longer sure of the details, but if I remember correctly a data CD contains signals of a higher amplitude than those of a music CD (or something like that), and can cause damage to the amplifier and/or speakers which are not designed to cope with them - it's a little like having the volume turned up too high for the speakers. That's why a music CD has "Digital Audio" printed on it, and a CD-ROM doesn't (so I was told - but it was a while back so it may be out of date or just plain wrong - if so then I apologise for wasting everyone's time, but I only thought it fair to mention it). Fritz ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: soundtracks + new album = more to buy Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 07:07:58 -0500 (EST) > >Just recently in St. Louis they said that all of the tracks they put out >for compilation records will be on the next album, so don't but any of them. > Well, I suspect that there will be different recordings of the new songs on the upcoming album, so completists may find themselves buying the MMPR and Brain Candy albums anyway... m@t ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 08:05:23 -0500 (CDT) > 12 To Serve Mankind > For many reasons this may be my favourite song on the album. First, is > the refence to a Twilight Zone episode of the same name. Second, is the fact I thought that it was a short story or book first and then was made into a Twilight Zone episode later.... (regardless , one of my favorite episodes... right up there with the puppet one and the one about the geek and the library [don't get upset... I could be considered a geek as well]) -CJ, who has yet to find the money to buy these marvelous new recordings. _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 06:07:26 CST Subject: A little pissing and moaning + a Mono Puff comment I like the idea of a "side" list that pertains to TMBG related info only. It's getting a little ridiculous and hard to keep up with all the posts about buttknobs and manly craps. When I got on this list I was hoping to spend a couple of minutes each night catching up on the latest TMBG info. If a post is interesting to you, respond personally-unless you feel everyone must hear what you have to say and it relates to TMBG. Sorry to waste even more space with nonsense, but hopefully things will change soon. I just can't keep up with this volume of mail. On a TMBG note, Mono Puff didn't appeal to me on the first listen. It took a few times. Now I love it! If your just getting it and don't like it so much, give it a chance. I don't like the idea of Flans on his own, but he rocks nonetheless. Just as long as he doesn't forget about the "other half" that helped put him where he is today. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:52:10 -0600 From: jchaffer@umich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Pain and suffering I've just had a bad few days as far as computing goes. I found out that my account was purged here at CMU while I was away at orientation, so I lost all mail for about a week. If you've sent me anything important in the last few days, please resend it. My tmbg.org address should work as soon as Leo redirects it; until then, please address mail to jchaffer@umich.edu. On another note, I still have not gotten blanks from all of the LoFi branches. C'mon guys, let's get on it! I want to see all of the members of the tree get their tapes as soon as possible. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:50:56 -0700 From: "(|-|/\\R|_IE |)EETS" Organization: ix.netcom.com Subject: Mono-puff-o-rama Hey all, Question about monopuff 1. Totally Rocking, is that Flans singing? 2. Does Hello Hello have the exact same melody as Hello by oasis. It is the same words (hello hello) and the same melody, I was like, Oasis ripped off flans, or did flans rip off oasis, or did they just write the same song? I really doubted Flans song writting in comparison to Linnell, but this album has some great songs. It is wierd as all get out, but awesome, GO BUY IT KIDS! -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX C h a r l i e D e e t s XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX S o r t a l i k e h e r o i n XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX w i t h o u t t h e n e e d l e XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:06:40 -0400 Subject: Re: Mono-puff-o-rama + UWA In a message dated 96-06-14 10:54:19 EDT, cdeets@ix.netcom.com ((|-|/\R|_IE |)EETS) writes: > 2. Does Hello Hello have the exact same melody as Hello by oasis. It is the > same words > (hello hello) and the same melody, I was like, Oasis ripped off flans, or > did flans rip > off oasis, or did they just write the same song? > The thing is that Mono Puff and Oasis Both covered a song by "G. Glitter and M. Leander" as it says in the liner notes Uns. if you look closely... I think that this "G. Glitter" is the same person who wrote dream weaver from the waynes world soundtrack, but I'm probably wrong since I can't find my ww LP (one of two lps that I have)... Anyway, they both ripped off those two guys, but in case you are wondering, Flans ripped them off first, because the Hello Hello was originally on the Hello the Band CD from 92 or 93... oh well, whatever, nevermind... (I can't believe what I just quoted)... UWA (UnWanted Advert): Visit the Representatives of the People of Here; Homepage and gain citizenship in their ever-growing country! The URL is: http://members.tripod.com/~Ruprecht/ enjoy! the stupidity expressed here does not necessarily reflect the stupidity of: a spooky man named Ike ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Particleman vs. Spiderman Date: 14 Jun 1996 16:50:25 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Is it just me, or does Moxy Fruvous's "Spiderman" sound a little bit too much like our beloved tmbg's "Particleman"? It's a bit too close for myu comfort. I don't like the thought of ANY band stealing stuff from tmbg (even if it is the best band north of the border). ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:11:39 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: I've got MONO! Wow, I'm really beginning to think that Lincoln, Nebraska is a more TMBG-friendly place than I give it credit for. I was able to find Mono Puff at the first place I went to, which really surprised me. And earlier this week, I was in a different music store and I asked the sales guy if they had any TMBG singles, and he said that TMBG stuff always gets snatched up quickly whenever he gets it in stock (I managed to snag a Statue single) because "they seem to have a pretty big following here." Whoa! I was shocked. I want to know where all of these fellow Lincolnite TMBG fans are hiding! I already checked under the sofa cushions, and they ain't there. :) Several digests ago, someone asked if anyone remembered the "tray" thread. I do! I do! Very vaguely, but yeah. I think it might have been going on right when I first joined the list, actually. Ah, the nostalgia... Wearing your confused expression, --Tara Oh yeah, and Mono Puff is totally rockin'. :) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 13:30:05 -0400 From: Ira Adler Subject: New list? A new list would probably not be the best idea... Also, has anyone else noticed that the buttknob thread seems to be dying (dead?)... By the way, does anyone know about tmbg tour dates in the further future? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:54:40 +0000 From: Chriss Bliss Organization: Dovecote Designs Subject: Anyone willing to help a British TMBG fan? Gosh, it doesn't half sound hard to get a copy of Mono puff's album out there in the US. So whats the chance of me getting hold of a copy in England, UK? Well pretty slim to tell the truth, I went in to a Virgin Megastore in London and all I got was a really strange look. Is there anyone out there willing to send me Unsupervised? I will in turn either send some dosh in return or send An album from a UK that you may not be able to get out there, e.g. Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Bis, etc. Please let me know. Chriss Bliss Alias: Kitalina on #tmbg (undernet) email: bliss@dial.pipex.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:35:05 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: TMBG Albums A lot of people seem to have trouble finding various TMBG albums and they are giving info about various local stores that may not be local for other people. There are quite a few internet music stores which you might want to try. The best one is probably CDNow (http://cdnow.com). Hope this helps, Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:37:08 -0700 (PDT) From: Littlewood Subject: Re: Mono Puff Critique As the God-like Ruprecht76@aol.com once said: >1 Guitar Was The Case > This is a kick a-- mostly instrumental that seems >semi-grunge-influenced, >the best part is that it really does sound like a sort-of chase >scene/detective movie kinda song... + Aha! First, this song sounds like it would be right at home on the Pixies album Bossinova. The surf (yes surf) influenced guitar sounds just like Joey or Frank. It _does_ kick ass, and I could see it as a chase scene in a movie. One of my favs of the album >2 Unsupervised, I Hit My Head > A cool song with a fast chorus and mellow verses. I've been told that >there are more verses in this version than the Demo, or so I've been >told. > This is one of the more Giantesque songs on the record. + Yes a cool song, but a I listened to the Hello Mono Puff so much, that it's a little overplayed to me. It does have more verses than the Hello, and I like it better. >5 The Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rocking) > Apparently, this is a cover, or was written by somebody for Flans. > Regardless, this will make a for a really good single, if it gets any >real >airplay to begin with. It's a hilarious song "They were surfing for >souls, >to the beat of rock and roll, alright". Hilarious. + I think that Flans made a great choice by making this song the single. I trully love this song. Hilarious is right. Some great lyrics (I won't tell 'em. Buy the album!), and what can you say about a song where the Prince of Bad goes surfin' with God (and God gets a sunburn)? A great song. Ted Widmer and Nat Freedberg wrote it, and did a great job. >7 Hello Hello > I'm not sure what to say about this one, a pretty normal song, aside >from >the Joshua Fried influence, he always knows how to make things odd. Yes a wierd one. It is one the Hello disc "Hello the Band". I like it a lot, its is really bizzare. >8 Dr. Kildare > A very cool song, but I always was a sucker for horns. This song >sounds >heavily ska influenced, but I really wouldn't know. I got in trouble the >last time I claimed to know something about ska. + Ahh.. I'm interested in basicly _any_ song with horns (this isn't ska, but ska/ska core does rule). On the liner notes it says "music unknown, lyrics Fansburgh". Hmm.. its different music than on the Hello disc, so I wonder.. Its a major rockin' song. Well thats about all, I really like the disc and the single (BTW- on the single "Oddball" really is a Frank Black song. And on the subject of Frank Black, his lead guitarist [since "Cult of Ray" came out] Lyle Workman plays with Flans and the gang on "Oddball" and the remix of "Devil". Lyle is _really_ good). Till next time, -JL- --- What was that TMBG page URL? Why its http://www.europa.com/~alittlew/tmbg.html of course! Send comments and suggestions to alittlew@europa.com. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:11:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: concert heheh!! yes!!! i hope they do...actually they did once, but it was a 21 and over show, poohead. i hope they come back, then all list friends anywhere near here can visit me, and maybe we'd even go see some flying blue power hats, matt-ee-o! see you all around! --fransburgh On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I wonder when the Giants will put on a performance in Lancaster among the Amish? > (with those blue wonder hats from the almighty?) I think the Amish'd really get into it! > Waiting patiently 8-) > Matt > -- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Hello & Questions for J&J Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:33:54 -0400 (EDT) As you already saw you can mail questions for J&J to DeptPPFNP@aol.com until sunday at midnight and perhaps might even get an answer in the next newsletter. Good luck. Also, if any of you have questions/problems/comments about the Hello Recording Club you can mail them to helloclub@tmbg.com. This is for hello stuff only. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: 14 Jun 96 18:00:09 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: Mono-puff-o-rama --- Charlie mumbled something along the lines of: 2. Does Hello Hello have the exact same melody as Hello by oasis. It is the same words (hello hello) and the same melody, I was like, Oasis ripped off flans, or did flans rip off oasis, or did they just write the same song? --- end of quoted material --- It was done by someone else first and they both covered it. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: your mail Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:22:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl: > >>damage! and how exactly would this damage it? cd's are optical, so >>nothing ever touches the cd (not in the data area, leastways)?! i know [...] >I'm not too sure of the details - but I'm not talking about damage to the CD, >or even the CD player itself, it's your amplifier/speakers that may be the I'd have to guess that long strings of only 1's or only 0's could make your amp go DC, which will destroy your speakers (I once had the opportunity to see twelve 18" woofers simultaneously blow, apparently from the amps going DC. The memory still gives me chills.) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:39:15 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Self called nowhere.... NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOT THAT ID\IT THING AGAIN!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Trembling in the dark, Brother John Blackhawk. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:40:31 -0500 (CDT) From: axel@tmbg.org (Kurt Anderson) Subject: I need some info Hello, all, I have a problem Today my whole internet-software package crashed. I spent all of today restoring it (still havent finished). Anyway, I lost the address & related info about getting that TMBG bootleg video tape. Could the person whose doing the whole thing send me the info agian? thanks. (aka) Kurt ~~~ Kurt Anderson axel@tmbg.org kaacoolguy@tmbg.org axel@interaccess.com homepage.interaccess.com/~axel/ ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:54:12 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Words of The Johns, th Nectur of Gods... While all the words of THeY are like life blood to me and I can safly say that without them I probably would have commited suicide in '93, I must say that one of my favorites would have to be "We can't be silent\ cause They Might Be Giants\ and what are we gonna do unless They are". My first album was, as with 90% of Giants fans, Flood. The first time I heard it, I recognized Birdhouse and spent from '92 til late '94 trying to prove to myself that there was a Birdhouse video (I'll tell that tale later). But when I listened to side B that first time and found it nearing an end, I found that the bands title song was the first that filled me totally with the realization that the Johns were about more then Istambul and Particle Man. And as I realized that THeY were more then just a "funny band", I also realized that I should dedicate the rest of my life to THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS. Brother John Blackhawk Hail the Johns forever!! ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:42:19 -0700 Subject: Re: Devo? > Okay, after several references to this band, I'm finally gonna ask: Who is > Devo, and what do they play? Please don't hurt me-- just realize I'm stupid > and forgive me... Oh and answer me too. Thanx. No need to apologize. My initial question, though, would be: How old are you? I thought most everyone has at least HEARD of Devo. They pretty much epitomize the "New Wave" sound of the early 80's. They used a lot of keyboard and had a very "techno" feel to their music. They wore trippy, futuristic clothing and what looked like pots on their heads. They embodied the "cool nerd" image and attitude. You've probably heard "Whip It" and Soundgarden did a terrible cover of "Girl U Want." If you dig the high-tech, new wave, early 80's sound, then I would suggest buying their Greatest Hits album. Their covers of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Working in the Coalmine" are beyond cool. I remember once very long ago there was a TV show called "Square Pegs" which tried to portray Vally-talking new-wave high school students, and Devo made a guest appearance on that show once. (Does ANYONE besides me remember that show?) By the way, I visited a couple of Lollapalooza web sights last night, and it seems a confirmed rumor that Devo WILL play in the "Special Guest" slot in the line-up for all of the California shows. Finally, it pays to live on the West Coast! Sorry about the lack of TMBG content...hope this helps! Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:52:52 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Middle Names + OAT Okay, After a recent discussion with Tom Hare on telnet, I was wondering what the middle names of the Johns are... Does anyone know? It's not in either FAQ, I have checked. OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): I walked down to East Lansing, Trend Center of Greater Lansing, today in search of the "Devil" EP. I walked two miles. I am afraid of the bus, and not ashamed to admit it (Come on telnet sometime and I'll explain it to you). Anyway, they didn't have it, I saw Back To Skull for the third time ever, WDTSS, for the second time ever, and three copies of Unsupervised, but no "Devil" EP, it's not on their computer so the sales lady couldn't order it for me. I picked up Blur; The Great Escape because I would have felt silly walking all that way for nothing. Blur is a good band, check them out. a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Candy Butchers Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 21:22:30 -0400 (EDT) > I have been a fan for eight years, and finally saw them live in January in > DC. Needless to say, I was more than impressed. Actually, the word "awe" > comes to mind. Not to steal the spotligh from TMBG, but does anyone know > how I can find any of the Candy Butchers recordings? The CB opened that > night, and they talked about an album coming out soon . . . > > I should mention that I currently live in Australia. Well not that this is anywhere near Australia but in downtown Baltimore at the Sound Garden I saw the Candy Butchers album used for like $7 American. I was going to get it but just didn't have the money. This was a month or two ago. My friend said to get it but I have yet to. When I go look for the Devil EP there this weekend or tomorrow I will see if it is still there. Also, for all yhou Aussies out there, on that show Sliders (where they slide between parallel dimensions of Earth in San Francisco) Australia was the super-power of the world. It was wacky, me personally, I'm afraid of the mysterious, fearful place ;) Actually I want to go there one of these days, I'm always up for intrigue. best line in the show (as they trade men), "Here ya go ya Yank", "Why don't you go swallow a wallabe" Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 21:26:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose Subject: Mono Puff EP The Mono Puff EP The Devil Went Down To Newport (Totally Rocking) also contains Oddball (written by Frank Black), Tryptophane, and TDWDTN (Totally Different), kind of a remix but I'm not sure. It's worth getting. My mail was down so I have no idea if this was already posted. I am too lazy to check. The EP also comes with an extra treat (not a song). Mike ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Hello email Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 21:42:58 -0400 (EDT) helloclub@tmbg.com doesn't seem to work, is that the right address? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 21:22:51 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: New list > No offense Leo, but I don't think that this would be a good idea. Does >that mean that there would be 2 different lists? One which would allow the >off-topic discussions, and one that wouldn't? So that people would not be >receiving the same messages? And people would have to subscribe to both? > The off-topic discussions sometimes are annoying, but I think that >people should just not read the "other stuff" if they don't want to. You can >pick and choose which ones to read/ not read. Just my thoughts. I have but one bitch about the TMBG mailing list. THE CRAP THAT IS IN THERE!!! I just got back from two days away and had no chance of sifting through the crap in the list to find the true TMBG stuff. I'm in total favour of a new list which gives TMBG stuff and nothing else. Nothing worse that going half through a message from someone before finding out it's about an unrelated thing. BRING ON THE NEW LIST. Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:09:06 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Fav line I'm gonna have to say that one of my most fav lines is (from its not my b-day): "When this grey world crumbles like a cake, I'll be hanging from the hope, that I'll never see that recipe again." mike(Leahcim) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 22:54:16 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Particleman vs. Spiderman On 14 Jun 1996, Chris Moesel wrote: > Is it just me, or does Moxy Fruvous's "Spiderman" sound a little bit too much > like our beloved tmbg's "Particleman"? It's a bit too close for myu comfort. > I don't like the thought of ANY band stealing stuff from tmbg (even if it is > the best band north of the border). Please tell me you're kidding. Please tell me you know Spiderman wasn't written by Moxy Fruvous. Please tell me you know it was the theme to a badly animated television show in the early eighties. Please tell me to shut up now. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 23:04:50 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG is rap??? Hang on, hang on tight. I have a story for you that, well...let's just say it blew my socks off. I met someone named Gloria on a chat line a few weeks ago, and suggested she go out and buy Flood, as an introduction to the greatest rock and roll band in human existance. Well, in a few days she I spoke to her again and was horrified to learn that she didn't like the album at all. She said that the lyrics were alright, but she didn't like the music. She listed her three favourite songs as Letterbox, Road Movie, and Theme from Flood, in that order. Now, as if this wasn't scary enough, what came next totally freaked me out. Gloria began to compare TMBG to rap music. She said that They are angry, hurt, and lashing out. She found this album to be very sad and angry. The examples she used to prove this were Sapphire Bullets (ok, granted, not the happiest song in the world), and, get this...We Want A Rock?!?!?! She's getting all this from listening to Flood...one of their happiest albums (in my opinion). I could understand her view if she had just listened to JH, but Flood?? When I asked her what kind of music she likes, she listed Baby Face, Keith Sweat, and Luther Van Dross...need I say more? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 23:10:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: Unsespected bonding Well, after all the talk of the new Mono Puff CD, I decided that I needed to get it and listen for myself. So while I was shopping today with my brother (who is the complete opposite of me, music tastes and all) I mentioned the I wanted to go to a music store. He asked me why, and I told him the name of the CD I wanted. He goes, "Oh, Mono Puff? I've heard of them. Here, should have the CD." Imagine it, this guy who tries not to touch TMBG with a ten-foot pole, and he found me Unsupervised. And I must admit that the album is great! Amy Greenlese * Spreading the words of _o:[ cowtown@tmbg.org * THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS = O| http://www.onu.edu/~stu1336 * throughout the world! =o_| ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 23:50:14 -0400 From: Cases Subject: Mono Puff and Public Radio I went to the friendly neighborhood Wall today to try and pick up a copy of Unsupervised. They didn't have it (as I had expected) so I asked them to order it for me. The guy at the counter gave me a really strange look and said (kind of whispery like) "we have it- we just aren't allowed to put it on the shelves until Tuesday". Then he told me that they only had one copy but that he'd reserve it for me if I wanted. So he wrote my name on this scrap of paper, pulled out the CD and taped it to the cover. It was 2 INCHES from my hand, and I couldn't have it!!! It was all I could to to keep from snatching it, plunking my money down and making a break for it. So anyway, if your music store doesn't have Unsupervised yet check back on Tuesday, just make sure you get there early because they only have ONE. Also, while looking through an old public radio listing I noticed that the Public radio station had devoted a show to TMBG back in April. I think it was on a program called Mountain Stage or something. I live in Pa, the station is WITF 89.5, but I think this might be a syndicated program so even people in Ca may have heard it. Did anyone happen to catch this? Would it be worth it to try and get a tape from the radio station (if they do that sort of thing)? I'd appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks! Juli- who is going to go nuts waiting for Tuesday ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 23:04:05 -0500 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: Unsespected bonding At 11:10 PM 6/14/96, Cowtown wrote: >Well, after all the talk of the new Mono Puff CD, I decided that I needed >to get it and listen for myself. So while I was shopping today with my >brother (who is the complete opposite of me, music tastes and all) I >mentioned the I wanted to go to a music store. He asked me why, and I >told him the name of the CD I wanted. He goes, "Oh, Mono Puff? I've >heard of them. Here, should have the CD." Imagine it, this >guy who tries not to touch TMBG with a ten-foot pole, and he found me >Unsupervised. And I must admit that the album is great! Went looking for it myself today. I came up with a half success. The Devil EP, but not 'Unsupervised'. Grr. Devil is a great song, but I kinda like Tyrptophane, myself...It's got a nice bouncy keyboard part, although it is a little short. Now if I could just find Unsupervised..... -Jim ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 00:10:05 -0400 Subject: Mountain Stage Hello 41- The Mountain Stage is one thing I know a bit about. I have a tape of it, and it's allright. It's from when Apollo 18 came out, and the host of the show seemed less than really intelligent about it. What I have isn't a very long set, and there were other bands there as well. The host/DJ guy did make a good point, and it's they do wear their street clothes out, and that's pretty neat point that I didn't think about... Sidenote: The last several shows I've seen, Mr. Linnel has been wearing a Hoboken P.E. shirt, has anyone else seen it? Nit ------------------------------ From: TMBGroupie@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 00:36:33 -0400 Subject: Bibelot Hate to tell you this, Dan, but as of Tuesday, they did in fact have Unsupervised. How do you think Neal got it? -me. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? Date: Sat, 15 Jun 96 0:58:02 18000 > > Hang on, hang on tight. I have a story for you that, well...let's just > say it blew my socks off. I met someone named Gloria on a chat line a few Perhaps she's the infamous "There May Be Giants" Gloria. > weeks ago, and suggested she go out and buy Flood, as an introduction to > the greatest rock and roll band in human existance. Well, in a few days > she I spoke to her again and was horrified to learn that she didn't like > the album at all. She said that the lyrics were alright, but she didn't > like the music. She listed her three favourite songs as Letterbox, Road > Movie, and Theme from Flood, in that order. Now, as if this wasn't scary > enough, what came next totally freaked me out. Gloria began to compare > TMBG to rap music. She said that They are angry, hurt, and lashing out. > She found this album to be very sad and angry. The examples she used to > prove this were Sapphire Bullets (ok, granted, not the happiest song in > the world), and, get this...We Want A Rock?!?!?! She's getting all this > from listening to Flood...one of their happiest albums (in my opinion). I > could understand her view if she had just listened to JH, but Flood?? > When I asked her what kind of music she likes, she listed Baby Face, Keith > Sweat, and Luther Van Dross...need I say more? > > Alex > After all, she can't explain it cause she doesn't know what it is. Don't blame her if the guy's a nut. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 01:17:04 -0400 Subject: street clothes >The host/DJ guy did make a good point, and it's they do wear their street clothes >out, and that's pretty neat point that I didn't think about. Personally, I think that it's great that John and John wear street clothes on stage. It really annoys me sometimes the outfits that bands wear just so they can "look the part of being in a rock band." I, for instance have been to many a different concert (Dead, NIN, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, BNL, DMB, etc) and I find it refreshing to see normal people, dressed in normal clothes. I think that bands feel like they have to wear outlandish clothes.......well, just to look the part. Does anybody else feel this way? tucker ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 01:30:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: Re: street clothes I agree with you on the street clothes point. It seems like *everyone* does that to an extent, though -- people are always worried about impressions and what everyone is going to think of them, when most of the time they're acting anyways. I saw my first TMBG concert about a month ago, and it was nice to see normally-dressed people on stage. Makes you feel more like you're seeing regular, everyday people singing instead of these untouchable, immortal beings. Any other thoughts? Amy Greenlese * Spreading the words of _o:[ cowtown@tmbg.org * THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS = O| http://www.onu.edu/~stu1336 * throughout the world! =o_| ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-167 ******************************