Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-168 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 168 Sunday, 16 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: Anyone willing to help a British TMBG fan? cd-roms and speakers Middle-nametre Re: Hello Hello Re: street clothes Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: TMBG is rap??? DEVO! Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Re: DEVO! Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Formerly MPC+ OAT (now Oasis bashing+UWA) Stuff... Bootleg tape TMBG and ska? Re: Bootleg tape mono Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: Formerly MPC+ OAT (now Oasis bashing+UWA) I should complain Far from ska and others... middle names Re: I should complain Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: Far from ska and others... Re: Far from ska and others... Okay, I'm the dumb one who asked 'bout devo. Uhh... HI! Re: Far from ska and others... MonoPuff in Cambridge Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 03:45:47 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > > Hang on, hang on tight. I have a story for you that, well...let's just > > say it blew my socks off. I met someone named Gloria on a chat line a few > > Perhaps she's the infamous "There May Be Giants" Gloria. That is the first thing I thought of when I started talking to her. All I can think of is "I don't know, Gloria, I just don't know." Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:52:31 +0100 From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Re: Anyone willing to help a British TMBG fan? On 14 Jun 1996, Chriss Bliss said: >Gosh, it doesn't half sound hard to get a copy of Mono puff's album out >there in the US. So whats the chance of me getting hold of a copy in >England, UK? Well pretty slim to tell the truth, I went in to a Virgin >Megastore in London and all I got was a really strange look. Is there >anyone out there willing to send me Unsupervised? I will in turn either >send some dosh in return or send An album from a UK that you may not be >able to get out there, e.g. Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Bis, etc. Please let me >know. I got mine at HMV in Oxford St. on Monday. At the time, they had about 6 copies. That was 13.99. Selectadisc in Berwick Street had it on Wednesday (at 11.99) Joe ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 96 08:36:22 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: cd-roms and speakers hey all. you *can* wreck your speakers with a cd-rom, which is why you look for the "digital audio" icon on the cd-rom, just like it is on audio CDs. this way you won't overload your system. :) peace, anne ps obtmbg: monopuff, monopuff, where for art thou, monopuff? ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 09:02:52 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Middle-nametre For the lister who asked, John Linnell's middle name is Sidney. I don't know what Flans' is. Now It's my turn, are all of the songs on the hello club Drink Me cd unreleased? Latro, Brother JohnBejezus * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Here is my sig. My sig is here. Don't ask questions of the inquisitor. * The end is near. Not the end of the world or the nation or even the day * just the end of my sig. Now we all exist as a series of 1's and 0's. * The binary Universe is here. So is my sig. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Re: Hello Hello Date: Sat, 15 Jun 96 11:09:04 EDT >The thing is that Mono Puff and Oasis Both covered a song by "G. Glitter and >M. Leander" as it says in the liner notes Uns. if you look closely... I think >that this "G. Glitter" is the same person who wrote dream weaver from the >waynes world soundtrack, but I'm probably wrong since I can't find my ww LP I was guessing G. Glitter is Gary Glitter of "Rock and Roll Part 2" fame -- you know, the song they play at EVERY sporting event nowadays. I know Gary Wright SANG "Dream Weaver", but I can't tell you who wrote it. -- john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 11:11:58 -0400 Subject: Re: street clothes In a message dated 96-06-15 01:36:51 EDT, agreen@moo.onu.edu (Cowtown) writes: > I saw my first TMBG concert about a month > ago, and it was nice to see normally-dressed people on stage. Makes you > feel more like you're seeing regular, everyday people singing instead of > these untouchable, immortal beings. Any other thoughts? > Wait, aren't they untouchable, immortal beings? a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:42:27 -0400 From: Br K Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? TMBG is rap? I thought they were ska... Johns' voices are ska. And they've got the horns, speed, and class. TMBG is nothing but ska. :Br. >Hang on, hang on tight. I have a story for you that, well...let's just >say it blew my socks off. I met someone named Gloria on a chat line a few >weeks ago, and suggested she go out and buy Flood, as an introduction to >the greatest rock and roll band in human existance. Well, in a few days >she I spoke to her again and was horrified to learn that she didn't like >the album at all. She said that the lyrics were alright, but she didn't >like the music. She listed her three favourite songs as Letterbox, Road >Movie, and Theme from Flood, in that order. Now, as if this wasn't scary >enough, what came next totally freaked me out. Gloria began to compare >TMBG to rap music. She said that They are angry, hurt, and lashing out. >She found this album to be very sad and angry. The examples she used to >prove this were Sapphire Bullets (ok, granted, not the happiest song in >the world), and, get this...We Want A Rock?!?!?! She's getting all this >from listening to Flood...one of their happiest albums (in my opinion). I >could understand her view if she had just listened to JH, but Flood?? >When I asked her what kind of music she likes, she listed Baby Face, Keith >Sweat, and Luther Van Dross...need I say more? > > Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:23:44 -0400 From: Ira Adler Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? At 12:42 PM 6/15/96 -0400, you wrote: >TMBG is rap? >I thought they were ska... >Johns' voices are ska. >And they've got the horns, speed, and class. >TMBG is nothing but ska. Now, I can't say that I'm all that familiar with ska, but I can confidently say that TMBG are much, much more than "nothing but ska." While some songs may have a ska-ish feel to them, it would be a very narrow thing to refer to TMBG as a ska band. I have trouble classifying them as any real type of band, considering the huge variety of music they play. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:24:06 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: DEVO! Dear person who made the Square Pegs reference: YES! I remeber that episode!! in fact, I remember it well, because my parents were/are quite baptist, and the show aired on a Wednesday night, and they actually let me STAY HOME FROM CHURCH!!!! to watch it. Slightly Jaded Now, Miss Joni P.S. No flames--but I, too am curious about the age of the person who wondered aloud: "WHO IS DEVO". Just for my reference. P.P.S. Does anyone remember who performed the Square Pegs theme? I think I know someone who has a recording... Ah, the '80's. Oh, my lost youth. ------------------------------ From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 20:05:22 -0400 From: Ruprecht76@aol.com : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT : Date: Thursday, June 13, 1996 8:51 PM : OAT (Other Assorted Trivia, thanks to Sean somebody): : After listening to the album about thirty times already, I'm beginning to : wonder how they can tour with this. I guess a lot of covers or Giants' : songs. Also, do you think they will tour with a horn section. : : a spooky man named me BlueDawg steps up to the mic, clears a pint of lungbutter from his finely-tuned radio guy throat, and exclaims in a voice so deep that only dogs can hear it, "I recommended the OAT!" Mono Puff rules. I got it at Blockbuster Music; they only got one copy. I'd have to say that "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" is my favorite track. The added verses really make a difference, and this version seems to rock more than the old one. "The Devil Went Down to Newport" is also a totally rockin' track (sorry, I couldn't help myself), which is actually getting airplay on the local alternative station. I've heard it three times in ten days. This is not considerable airplay, mind you, as "Champagne Supernova" is played at least every hour. Oasis sucks. BlueDawg -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ---------- : ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 14:01:41 +0000 From: David Olson Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: Re: DEVO! Joni M. Back wrote: > P.P.S. Does anyone remember who performed the Square Pegs theme? I think > I know someone who has a recording... The Waitresses performed that theme - it was on their album I could Rule The World if I could Only Get The Parts which was released in 1982. They're still one of my favourite bands!!! They had two other albums; Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful?, and Bruiseology... They kinda remind me of They in some way which I can't quite put my finger on... Best, David ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:55:13 -0500 (CDT) > like the music. She listed her three favourite songs as Letterbox, Road > Movie, and Theme from Flood, in that order. Now, as if this wasn't scary > enough, what came next totally freaked me out. Gloria began to compare What's so scary about that? Letterbox is my fav. song from Flood, and the Theme and 'movie are a couple of my favorites, too. > TMBG to rap music. She said that They are angry, hurt, and lashing out. > She found this album to be very sad and angry. The examples she used to Now, I couldn't compare TMBG to rap myself, but in my perspective, Flood is something of a "healing" kind of album... Obviously something went _really_ wrong with at least one of the John's during Lincoln (well, maybe not obviously... just sounds like it to me), and I think that some of the residual pain did manage to filter through to Flood from that. > the world), and, get this...We Want A Rock?!?!?! She's getting all this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd say that's a really good example, myself... I've always thought of the song as a statement of "I really, really need something to hold on to now... something that's stable, something that'll be there tomorrow if I really need it (echos of Letterbox, I suppose). And I also want some way to hide from the world and rest awhile, so I don't have to keep on facing everything out there (ie: the prosthetic foreheads covering up your true feelings)" While done very happily, some of the songs really do give you the impression that They're just working through a lot of pain that They've been going through (while I'm admitting at the same time, that due to this fact, it's one of the most wonderful feelgood albums there is out there). Ball & Chain is about losing a love and not getting over it for awhile. Dead is pretty self-explanitory. Hot Cha's about someone leaving, again. Road Movie is kind of reminescant (sp???) of some painful times, as well. To pick at some bones, Racist Friend is about having to deal with a bunch of morons out there, Minimum Wage could be about the struggles of life, and (even more blatant picking at bones) even Istanbul is about how things are constantly changing. > could understand her view if she had just listened to JH, but Flood?? I'd agree with that.... > When I asked her what kind of music she likes, she listed Baby Face, Keith > Sweat, and Luther Van Dross...need I say more? Well, that's just sick. ;) _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:56:56 -0500 (CDT) > TMBG is rap? > I thought they were ska... > Johns' voices are ska. > And they've got the horns, speed, and class. > TMBG is nothing but ska. > :Br. TMBG ska? One of the things I've always liked about TMBG is their inability to be classified into just one category of music... And I really haven't noticed much ska in their music at all (yeah, they use horns, but it's generally much more oriented towards swing or jazz or those kinds of things). Of course, I'm no expert on ska.... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:59:30 -0500 (CDT) > considerable airplay, mind you, as "Champagne Supernova" is played at > least every hour. Which is a considerable problem, because that song's about forty-five minutes long. > Oasis sucks. I really can't agree with that... I don't like Oasis myself, but that stems more from the fact that they're blatantly trying to be like the Beatles. Now I don't see any problem with this, especially seeing as they've very openly admitted that fact and didn't even try to dispute it, but really all that makes me want to do is go listen to some vintage Beatles recordings that I have, rather than rushing out to buy their new album. -CJ and his 2 cents.... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 16:30:10 -0400 Subject: Re: Mono Puff Critique+ OAT In a message dated 96-06-15 13:42:17 EDT, Blue Dawg writes: > : OAT (Other Assorted Trivia, thanks to Sean somebody): > : After listening to the album about thirty times already, I'm > beginning to > : wonder how they can tour with this. I guess a lot of covers or Giants' > : songs. Also, do you think they will tour with a horn section. > : > : a spooky man named me > > > BlueDawg steps up to the mic, clears a pint of lungbutter from his > finely-tuned radio guy throat, and exclaims in a voice so deep that only > dogs can hear it, "I recommended the OAT!" Yes, you (Blue Dawg) recommended the OAT, but I thought it was just plain funny to put that there until some guy named sean on here asked if it meant "Other Assorted Trivia" and I said, doesn't mean anything, I was just mocking this one guy... But now I've changed it and it has a meaning... Go OAT! a spooky man named me a wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 16:30:23 -0400 Subject: Formerly MPC+ OAT (now Oasis bashing+UWA) In a message dated 96-06-15 15:05:21 EDT, kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) writes: > > Oasis sucks. > > I really can't agree with that... I don't like Oasis myself, but that stems > more from the fact that they're blatantly trying to be like the Beatles. > Now > I don't see any problem with this, especially seeing as they've very openly > admitted that fact and didn't even try to dispute it, but really all that > makes > me want to do is go listen to some vintage Beatles recordings that I have, > rather than rushing out to buy their new album. As long as we're slamming Oasis... The worst part about Oasis is that they say they are like the Beatles and are gonna be bigger than the Beatles... the Beatles have incredible variety! Every single song by Oasis has that specific, shitty, "Manchester Sound" they are always going on about. Oasis pisses me off. They are arrogant little b_stards and still wonder why American haven't "caught on'"... If you want to hear a British band with some style, pick up some Blur or Elastica... and Matt James tells me that Pulp is good too... Just my opinions, flame away, but try to keep the bigger ones off the list... UWA (UnWanted Advert): You can now view my feeble attempts at humor on a free German server the URL is http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ It's Ruprecht's _Crazy_ Homepage visit it and send me your comments and suggestions! a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 00:34:14 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Stuff... About the new list idea, I personally don't like it. I mean we it's not like the trafic is that bad on the list. But if some one wants to sets up a list, make this list the source to posts so that those who don;t want the moderated list can get the same messages without having to subscribe to 2 mailing lists. A while back some one mentioned barenaked ladies, as another band that tmbg might like(I think). But when I was at borders looking for monopuff(pentagon center had 2 as of tues), a just happen to the barenaked ladies were on a listing station, but just my luck it was broken. The next I was driving past an other borders, were the listing station worked and listed to the barenaked ladies latest cd(born on a pirate ship) and it was cool, and since the CD was on sale I got it, and it is still cool. Thanks to who ever metioned this, you found me another very cool band. about the cd-rom thingy, the bare naked ladies latest cd as a data portion that seems to invisale on my cd player and also cliams to work on both pc's and mac's. So I think it would be cool for tmbg to put some kind of interactive thing on the new B-sides relase, maybe make a 2disk set and use the spare space on one(or both) the disks for some multi-media type deal. -John Murray johns@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 17:05:00 -0400 From: Ira Adler Subject: Bootleg tape Just got the video bootleg today, and I gotta say, IT ROCKS! I recommend it to everyone on the list... ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: TMBG and ska? Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 17:13:45 -0400 (EDT) > > At 12:42 PM 6/15/96 -0400, you wrote: > >TMBG is rap? > >I thought they were ska... > >Johns' voices are ska. > >And they've got the horns, speed, and class. > >TMBG is nothing but ska. > > > Now, I can't say that I'm all that familiar with ska, but I can > confidently say that TMBG are much, much more than "nothing but ska." While > some songs may have a ska-ish feel to them, it would be a very narrow thing > to refer to TMBG as a ska band. I have trouble classifying them as any real > type of band, considering the huge variety of music they play. I don't see where this TMBG & Ska connection came from? They are in no way ska and I am not even superknowledgeable about ska. They are about as far from ska as you can get, ok maybe not that far but they ain't ska! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 17:10:47 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: Bootleg tape I got it last week, it DOES rock!! >Just got the video bootleg today, and I gotta say, IT ROCKS! I recommend it >to everyone on the list... > > =================== AmY seta@spectra.net amy@tmbg.org anangel@tmbg.org =================== C\_/ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: mono Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 18:12:34 -0400 (EDT) I finally ordered Monopuff tix for the DC show, should be good! I wonder how many people will be there. I called teh record store for the EP and he said Monopuff was in rely really high demand. They couldn't sell fast enough. I also ordered the DEvil Went Down tto Newport EP today, so hopefully that should get in soon. Nobody has the EP in stock 8-( Well I hope to see yas at the show. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 19:27:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? Uhhh...wasn't that ska comment a joke? A mockery of all those people who DO try to classify everything they can get their narrow minds on? Correct me if you were not joking, Br. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Formerly MPC+ OAT (now Oasis bashing+UWA) Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 18:27:50 -0500 (CDT) > As long as we're slamming Oasis... But I wasn't slamming Oasis..... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 07:34:54 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: I should complain I *should* complain that I opened up my mailbox to see 32, yes 32 messages in it, all from the tmbg list, all from just today, but I won't. I am not like all whining sissy babies who can't handle a couple thousand more bytes. I should also complain about the lame discussion of Monopuff, which *isn't* tmbg. But I won't. I should also state that I couldn't give a shit how much and where you bought unsupervised, as I had to pay 16.99, and thats all I ever want to know. So stop posting 10 million messages a day about how much you freakin payed. I should also mention that I really don't care about Oasis, I don't think *THAT* is TMBG either. Anyhow, I'm *NOT* going to complain about any of this, cause I don't really mind. Its a freaking mailing-list, people mail to it, can't stop it, oh well, read and discard. have fun yours truly and always bet yah kept going mike (Leahcim) Here is some more freaking bytes And more..... Maybe I'll post the whole freakin webster's dictionary, or even the freakin bible for that matter. pigs. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:11:15 -0400 Subject: Far from ska and others... Hello 41- Quickly on the ska comment, I don't recall where I heard it, but if alternative stuff like Oasis is garbage, then ska is garbage with trumpets. I know a bit about the ska, and one of the main differences is as my brother would say "TMBG is smart music". This is true with the lyrics and music, ska is mindless and dumb. BNL- The Barenakes Ladies CD does work on PCs and Macs as well as audio, I've tried it on all. To whoever said it, if you get the Shoebox EP, it has a more extensive version of the multimedia, if you'd probably enjoy it. Enough, Nit ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 19:18:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: middle names Ruprecht, you asked about the Johns' middle names--I don't know Flans', but Linnell's is Sidney. In one of the old info club newsletters, Linnell made up anagrams out of the band members' names, including his own, John Sidney Linnell (one of the anagrams, I believe, was "inn in hell lends joy".) Anybody else know Flansy's middle name? --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 19:19:54 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: I should complain On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Michael Batchelder wrote: > I *should* complain that I opened up my mailbox to see 32, yes 32 messages > in it, all from the tmbg list, all from just today, but I won't. I am not > like all whining sissy babies who can't handle a couple thousand more bytes. Only 32 a day? Wow! I usually get 50-200 a day from all the mailing lists I belong to. But I'm not complaining. It's easier to just delete them all instead of reading them all... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:48:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? > > TMBG is rap? > > I thought they were ska... > > Johns' voices are ska. > > And they've got the horns, speed, and class. > > TMBG is nothing but ska. > > :Br. > ok, i have never noticed any blatant ska-emulation in TMBG's music, (just because a band has horns does not mean it's ska...) but one thing that really jumped out at me was the first section of "Dr. Kildare" from mono-puff...it has a definite ska beat, though the horns almost remind me a bit of salsa... (dont ask why...?!) ok, there was my contribution... bye bye... --fransburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:57:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: Far from ska and others... On Sat, 15 Jun 1996 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > would say "TMBG is smart music". This is true with the lyrics and music, ska > is mindless and dumb. ok, i really cant hold back here...you wont find me jumping to the defense of music i dont like, but i most certainly dont contribute to those conversations...let it die, guys...everyone has different tastes...i happen to really enjoy ska...a lot of it is not mindless and dumb, do a little research into its origins and you'll discover that it has very intelligent roots...sheesh! and it's fun...music is not allowed to be fun, it always has to have deep meanings...? whatever, i guess i shouldnt clutter like this, but i am a bit pissed... bitterness abounds here, on this list...try to recapture the TMBG spirit...please...? thanks for listening... --fransburgh ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Far from ska and others... Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:01:27 -0500 (CDT) > Quickly on the ska comment, I don't recall where I heard it, but if > alternative stuff like Oasis is garbage, then ska is garbage with trumpets. Don't you dare even think about calling Oasis alternative... They're so mainstreamed it hurts.... There's really very little alternative left out there... > would say "TMBG is smart music". This is true with the lyrics and music, ska > is mindless and dumb. I wouldn't call ska mindless and dumb.... Ska may be pretty much happy sounding most of the time, but it's not dumb or anything... It's just a good time, saying to hell with the rest of the world, I'm gonna have some fun.... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Okay, I'm the dumb one who asked 'bout devo. Date: 16 Jun 1996 01:30:29 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Okay, I'm the one who asked about Devo, and now feels totally stupid. I really wish my e-mail was an alias. Okay-- to all those who asked, I'm 17. Should I still know about Devo? I was born in 1978. If I still should know about Devo, then I'm sorry-- I lived an awfully sheltered life as a child. Now that I've succeeded in apologizing for my stupidity, you can all flame me for writing "unrelated" stuff. Sorry 'bout that... ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Uhh... HI! Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:11:23 -0500 Sorry that this is long, comiling everything I've wanted to say for a long time Hi! I think this is the first time i've mailed to this list. Yeah, it is. Ok. My name is Wyatt and I'm only 12 (If I ask any stupid questions, consider that to be a reason, but even I knew who Devo was). I ought to be mailing much more to this list. I never would read my mail (getting about 80 messages a day) so, i had about 1,200 unread messages in my trash FINNALLY i read them ALL. So, now i read my mail when it comes and.... ok. First, soemone a while back mailed a theory about putting Istamul and Particleman on Tiny Toons Adventures, and getting kids hooked for life. That's where I first heard it (and, hooked for life!) . They said they were songs by They Might Be Giants, so, i got Flood. Now, builing up my collection, i hope to get MONOPUFF: Unsupervised ( <----- Right Name, Right? ). And, I want (No, I NEED) info on getting the bootleg tape! Hmm.... besides some stories about TMBG that would just be a waste, that's all i have to say.... so BYE! -Wyatt Glodell (Well, I Always Thought That's Who I Was...) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 23:28:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Far from ska and others... > Quickly on the ska comment, I don't recall where I heard it, but if > alternative stuff like Oasis is garbage, then ska is garbage with trumpets. > I know a bit about the ska, and one of the main differences is as my brother > would say "TMBG is smart music". This is true with the lyrics and music, ska > is mindless and dumb. Maybe you should pick up the Conspiracy album. If you can still call ska "mindless and dumb", I'd like to hear about it. I also fail to see any relationship between Oasis and ska. Granted, that shit that's showing up on MTV (Goldfinger, No Doubt, etc.) is pretty bad, but then again, it sure isn't ska. And although John and John are great musican/songwriters, they really don't even come close to the Toasters, Skavoovie and the Epitones, Spring Heeled Jack, the legendary Skatalites, the Pietasters, and a host of others. They certainly don't do much improv soloing. If ska is dumb music, then I guess jazz must be too. At any rate, the bit you know about ska is obviously a very little bit. Please don't preach from ignorance. -Slacker Ng. P.S. As far as pigeonholing, yeah, there are some very definite elements that would make a song "ska" (most noticeably the guitar or piano on the offbeat), but within that framework there is a world of possibility. The Slackers are a far cry from Sgt. Scagnetti. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 02:27:45 +0000 From: David Olson Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: MonoPuff in Cambridge Hey, All; Anyone planning on the MonoPuff show at the Middle East June 25th? I picked up the CD a few weeks ago & am seriously excited... David -- ----\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /---- ---\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /--- -----/ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/------ * trixter@pop1.channel1.com * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-168 ******************************