Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-169 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 169 Monday, 17 June 1996 Today's Topics: disconnected Re: Okay, I'm the dumb one who asked 'bout devo. Re: Bootleg tape Totally brilliant Spiralling Shape I should complain too.... Re: Far from ska and others... They Might Be Giants And Oasis Re: They Might Be Giants And Oasis Re: I should complain too.... Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus Gosh darnit! listen! It was brought to my attention TMBG and Oasis Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus I will complain Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus Re: I will complain Rabid Child Primus, TMBG, and Mono Puff. Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT changing things Re: Rabid Child Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT Rabid Child Distant Antenna Re: Rabid Child Re: TMBG and Oasis, etc. Re: TMBG rap? Re: Rabid Child Re: Rabid Child Why I Hate Oasis +OAT PRIMUS Elina Lowensohn and MLounge pics request. TMBG is not ska!!!! Re: I should complain Ska, one last time. Re: I should complain too.... I met Flans! The woman... Re: I will complain okay, enough Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT Stuff, Read It Address for Video Bootleg (fwd) Revised Why I Hate Oasis +OAT Re: Ska, one last time. Re: Ska, one last time. Re: Rabid Child Stop being pissed What was that about? Off Topic Posts Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT monopuff Re: Okay, I'm the dumb one who asked 'bout devo. I'm coo coo for Mono Puff (s) Re: Stuff, Read It Re: Ska, one last time. (none) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 03:08:42 -0400 Subject: disconnected I think the thermostat should be... Matt, Porky, I got disconnected, if you see Nala, tell her I said hi... later... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 03:20:55 -0400 Subject: Re: Okay, I'm the dumb one who asked 'bout devo. >Okay, I'm the one who asked about Devo, and now feels totally stupid. I >really wish my e-mail was an alias. Okay-- to all those who asked, I'm 17. >Should I still know about Devo? I was born in 1978. If I still should know >about Devo, then I'm sorry-- I lived an awfully sheltered life as a child. >Now that I've succeeded in apologizing for my stupidity, you can all flame me >for writing "unrelated" stuff. Sorry 'bout that... It's okay Chris. I was also born in 1978 and I'm 17. The only reason that I knew about Devo, was from a Beavis and Butthead show. Yes, I love to watch B+B. They liked the video (esp. video) because they kept on saying, "whip it". B+B also thought that the funky hats they wear in the video looked stupid. :) tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 03:14:20 -0400 Subject: Re: Bootleg tape I LOVE THE VIDEO BOOTLEG-IT DOES ROCK! I GOT IT TODAY (ALONG WITH 2 BOOTLEG TAPES OF OUR FAV BAND) AND I HAVE ALREADY WATCHED IT, AND LOVED IT. Just one question about it though, who is that woman in "The Guitar" on the Tonight Show? Man, is she annoying!!!!!!! tucker ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 19:53:11 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Totally brilliant Spiralling Shape Well, it was you people that made me buy it, and I love it. I went into Sydney Yesterday and picked up a copy of that Brain Candy CD. I've never even heard of Brain Candy or Kids In The Hall, but that doesn't matter. Spiralling Shape is one of the best TMBG songs I've heard, in my opinion. I am so eager to hear more new TMBG stuff that I'm willing to go out and buy heaps of stuff, even though I wouldn't be able to afford it. Man... Spiralling Shape love it love it love it love it. Cyas, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:39:44 -0400 Subject: I should complain too.... >I *should* complain that I opened up my mailbox to see 32, yes 32 messages >in it, all from the tmbg list, all from just today, but I won't. I am not >like all whining sissy babies who can't handle a couple thousand more >bytes. And I *should* complain about the fact that everybody knows you can just get the digest (as I do) so you really shouldn't be whining about how many messages you get per day from this list, but I won't. >I should also complain about the lame discussion of Monopuff, which >*isn't* tmbg. But I won't. I should complain that Mono Puff certainly *is* related to tmbg and that this list is dedicated to all things related to tmbg so nobody has right to complain about the Mono Puff postings. But I won't. >I should also state that I couldn't give a shit how much and where you >bought unsupervised, as I had to pay 16.99, and thats all I ever want to >know. So stop posting 10 million messages a day about how much you >freakin payed. I *should* complain that you're being a selfish bastard since some of haven't gotten the album yet and would like to shop competitively, but you know what? I won't. >I should also mention that I really don't care about Oasis, I don't think >*THAT* is TMBG either. I also should mention that you obviously think you *own* this mailing list and that you should be allowed to censor the content of the posts, but gess what? I WON'T! >Anyhow, I'm *NOT* going to complain about any of this, cause I don't >really mind. Its a freaking mailing-list, people mail to it, can't stop >it, oh well, read and discard. I'm also *NOT* going to complain that despite the fact that you say you can't stop other people's mail, you quite apparently think you should be able to, oh grand exalted one...But I won't. While we're at it, I'd like to say how proud I am that I *didn't* direct a string of hideous obscenities at you even though I really really wanted to. -Dan --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:52:59 -0005 Subject: Re: Far from ska and others... > Maybe you should pick up the Conspiracy album. If you can still call ska > "mindless and dumb", I'd like to hear about it. I also fail to see any > relationship between Oasis and ska. Granted, that shit that's showing up > on MTV (Goldfinger, No Doubt, etc.) is pretty bad, but then again, it sure > isn't ska. And although John and John are great musican/songwriters, they > really don't even come close to the Toasters, Skavoovie and the Epitones, > Spring Heeled Jack, the legendary Skatalites, the Pietasters, and a host > of others. They certainly don't do much improv soloing. If ska is dumb > music, then I guess jazz must be too. > At any rate, the bit you know about ska is obviously a very little bit. > Please don't preach from ignorance. ok, granted I'm not a big ska fan, I see no connection between ska and stupidity, or even ska and oasis and tmbg. they make no sense. Oasis and TMBG are both a far cry from ska. Oasis is just pop and TMBG is jus Them, I don't know where to put them. As far as Oasis, at least they chose one of the greatest bands in history (the Beatles) to want to be, rather than some other crap, like Blondie or the Bee Gees..... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:12:29 -0700 From: "(|-|/\\R|_IE |)EETS" Organization: ix.netcom.com Subject: They Might Be Giants And Oasis kucecj@sncac.snc.edu > Oasis sucks. >I really can't agree with that... I don't like Oasis myself, but that stems >more from the fact that they're blatantly trying to be like the Beatles. Now >I don't see any problem with this, especially seeing as they've very openly >admitted that fact and didn't even try to dispute it, but really all that makes >me want to do is go listen to some vintage Beatles recordings that I have, >rather than rushing out to buy their new album. Ok, so they wanna be the beatles, but tell me, isn't this the best time in the world to do that with the beatlemania flush and everything, they be makin' some money. Also, we know linnell is heavily influence by the beatles, and this "hello" song thing shows they were listening to the same guy, which leads me to believe these two very different bands are listening to very similar influences. Also back to oasis, I really don't feel like they sound like the beatles. The beatles were much more creative as far as experimenting with sounds and stuff, oasis is just another english rock band. I personally like 'em. Stay cool, -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX C h a r l i e D e e t s XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX S o r t a l i k e h e r o i n XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX w i t h o u t t h e n e e d l e XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants And Oasis Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:28:09 -0500 (CDT) > Ok, so they wanna be the beatles, but tell me, isn't this the best time > in the world to If you thought I was putting them down because they wanted to be like the Beatles, I'm afraid I sent out the wrong message... Hell, everyone's gotta have their own influences and aspirations... Personally, I'd just rather go listen to some Beatles instead. ;) -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: I should complain too.... Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:35:48 -0500 (CDT) > I'm also *NOT* going to complain that despite the fact that you say you can't > stop other people's mail, you quite apparently think you should be able to, > oh grand exalted one...But I won't. > > While we're at it, I'd like to say how proud I am that I *didn't* direct a > string of hideous obscenities at you even though I really really wanted to. I think you missed the humorous quality of his letter, which goes something like "we all need to chill out," is all, really..... ie: > >Anyhow, I'm *NOT* going to complain about any of this, cause I don't >really > mind. Its a freaking mailing-list, people mail to it, can't stop >it, oh > well, read and discard. _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:43:17 -0500 (CDT) I just realized that "Chess Piece Face" sounds remarkably like Primus. Also, is there some B-side (or whatever it'd be called... I don't really care, myself) named The Big Duluth or something like that? I'm thinking They Might have done a song with that title in correlation with The Rabid Child....... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: 16 Jun 96 12:53:33 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Gosh darnit! listen! --- Good old Tom wrote: > > Hang on, hang on tight. I have a story for you that, well...let's just > say it blew my socks off. I met someone named Gloria on a chat line a few Perhaps she's the infamous "There May Be Giants" Gloria. > weeks ago, and suggested she go out and buy Flood, as an introduction to > the greatest rock and roll band in human existance. Well, in a few days > she I spoke to her again and was horrified to learn that she didn't like > the album at all. She said that the lyrics were alright, but she didn't > like the music. She listed her three favourite songs as Letterbox, Road > Movie, and Theme from Flood, in that order. Now, as if this wasn't scary > enough, what came next totally freaked me out. Gloria began to compare > TMBG to rap music. She said that They are angry, hurt, and lashing out. > She found this album to be very sad and angry. The examples she used to > prove this were Sapphire Bullets (ok, granted, not the happiest song in > the world), and, get this...We Want A Rock?!?!?! She's getting all this > from listening to Flood...one of their happiest albums (in my opinion). I > could understand her view if she had just listened to JH, but Flood?? > When I asked her what kind of music she likes, she listed Baby Face, Keith > Sweat, and Luther Van Dross...need I say more? > > Alex > After all, she can't explain it cause she doesn't know what it is. Don't blame her if the guy's a nut. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- end of quoted material --- Ok people, this is exactlly already what I I told you NOT to do. Not only is he quoting the whole message just to put his 1 cent in, but his signature is longer then his damn writing. He could have just quoted the beggining and the end. (ever heard the word snipit?) ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 12:59:40 -0400 Subject: It was brought to my attention It was brought to my attention that the letter I blaster earlier today may have been, in fact, intended for humorous effect, rather than being an actual series of complaints....If so, I apologize for acting to hastily... - Dan --Danother Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 13:03:59 -0400 Subject: TMBG and Oasis << >Also back to oasis, I really don't feel like they sound like the beatles. The >beatles were much more creative as far as experimenting with sounds and stuff, >oasis is just another english rock band. I personally like 'em. >> I've said before, and others as well, that although they don't sound that much alike, as far as musical and lyrical creativity goes, the Beatles are the closest group to which TMBG can be compared. I haven't heard that much from Oasis, and what I've heard isn't bad, but they don't seem to be in the same league at all. Kay, who'd love to hear TMBG cover the Beatle's"Oblah dee Oblah da, Life Goes On" ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 13:03:50 -0400 Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus :<< Also, is there some B-side (or whatever it'd be called... I don't really care, myself) named The Big Duluth or something like that? I'm thinking They Might have done a song with that title in correlation with The Rabid Child....... You're probably thinking of "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal," from Misc. T, which mentions both Rabid Child and Chess Piece Face. Kay, shuddering in her lampshade at the thought of TMBG being compared to Primus ------------------------------ Date: 16 Jun 96 13:11:39 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: I will complain I will complain about a few things. I will complaing about being called a sissie or whatever for geting pissed over another 1000 bytes. I have a slow computer whcich makes loading big messages hell and I have a shitty mail program that doesn't let me see the subject untill I open the message so I cant just skip over some. I will also complain about cyborg. My friend, it's great that your posting all this usefull stuff but for god's sake! put it all in one damn message or something, I go to my mailbox and seee that you've written like 20 messages every day. And lose the damn sig! If i have pissed anyone of I'm sorry. But I'm a vocal person who must be heard. BTW, stop arguing about what TMBG is, they just are. ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 12:35:42 -0500 (CDT) > You're probably thinking of "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal," > from Misc. T, which mentions both Rabid Child and Chess Piece Face. No... I mean, in the song Rabid Child, there's a mention of both the Big Duluth and Chess Piece Face, and later in the album there's a song entitled Chess Piece Face... This makes me wonder if perhaps They wrote another song called the Big Duluth or something, and just didn't put it on the album... > Kay, shuddering in her lampshade at the thought of TMBG being compared to > Primus I'm serious... listen to the song... Had I not known it was TMBG, I would have guessed Primus before anything else..... -CJ _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Tennisable ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: I will complain Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 12:45:36 -0500 (CDT) > BTW, stop arguing about what TMBG is, they just are. Why should we stop arguing about TMBG... That's what the list is for: a discussion of TMBG, and if we happen to have divergent opinions on what TMBG's all about, what better place to do it than in a mailing list about TMBG? Personally, I'm going to continue to argue about TMBG. Later, all. -CJ "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 13:47:45 -0400 Subject: Rabid Child 'Lo Kids! I've been listening to the Pink Album (surprise, surprise) and I noticed that there is this part at the beginning of Rabid Child where I have no idea what is being sung/said... I tried reversing it on my computer, but it only sounds worse... Anybody know what this is? sorry not OAT (Other Assorted Trivia) and you didn't want my UWA anyway... a spooky man named Ike a wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 13:55:42 -0400 Subject: Primus, TMBG, and Mono Puff. Oh no! Slighty off subject! But at least you can read it while eating you dinner without getting sick. I can't listen to Primus without having severe side effects. It's a very strange thing, but I hear them, and I have to curl into a tiny, snivelling ball. There is something about that band that grates on every nerve in my body. So, it's hard for me to say that I've ever listened to a Primus song. I've always been too busy snivelling. Forgive my allergic reaction. And thus I'm not in a position to judge any similarities, or lack thereof, with TMBG. And now, Mono Puff - I admit that I haven't been reading those long laundry list reviews. Maybe I should have been, because I am wondering what people think of "Distant Antenna." I've taken quite a liking to it, and particularly the decision to have Elina Lowensohn record the voice. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 14:13:20 -0400 Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT In a message dated 96-06-16 13:10:22 EDT, Kaylum@aol.com writes: > :<< Also, is there some B-side (or whatever it'd be called... I don't really > care, myself) named The Big Duluth or something like that? I'm thinking > They Might have done a song with that title in correlation with The Rabid > Child....... > > You're probably thinking of "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal," > from Misc. T, which mentions both Rabid Child and Chess Piece Face. > Well, actually in the song of Rabid Child itself Chess Piece Face is mentioned... >Kay, shuddering in her lampshade at the thought of TMBG being compared to >Primus Primus is not that bad by the way, of any band I know, they have the best bass player of any band I know, and in my opinion are like a slightly-less-clever, evil version of TMBG OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): To all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child: the Rabid Child is a girl... a spooky man named me I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: changing things Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 14:51:57 -0400 (EDT) If anyone thinks taht their posting to flame at people or to tell them not to post certain things will ever work you'll be try8ing for a long time. No one in the history of mailing lists has ever been able to stop unrelated messages from being posted to mailing lists. That's why I just ignore messages. The good thing is threads always die eventually. 8-) Complaining and flaming gives you wrinkles and makes you look old ;) Oh and if Oasis aspires to be like the Beatles they are doing a really really bad job of it and if they ever think they'll get to the level of the Beatles it just ain't gonna happen. Just me 2 pennies. -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 14:52:24 -0400 Subject: Re: Rabid Child << 've been listening to the Pink Album (surprise, surprise) and I noticed that there is this part at the beginning of Rabid Child where I have no idea what is being sung/said... I tried reversing it on my computer, but it only sounds worse... Anybody know what this is? >> The FAQ sez that the magic words (which are not backwards) are, "Oh, Lord, please don't take me away." Kay ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:47:42 -0005 Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT > Primus is not that bad by the way, of any band I know, they have the best > bass player of any band I know, and in my opinion are like a > slightly-less-clever, evil version of TMBG > umm, sorry for this unrelated comment, but I think that Primus' musical abilities are on par with the Johns'. They are just as clever as Them, but their music doesn't appeal to as many people for some reason. They're not evil, they just try to be really strange. Les Claypool IS the best bassist, the only one who even compares is Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers. BTW- who is Their bassist? do They even have one? > OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): > To all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child: the Rabid Child is > a girl... and how do you know that? ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 16 Jun 96 16:32:40 -0400 Subject: Rabid Child >Les Claypool IS the best bassist, the only one who even compares is >Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers. BTW- who is Their bassist? do They >even have one? And their drummer is one of the best too. Too bad the main singer dude sux and they write pretty stupid songs cause they're most of the bands is really talented...anyway. >> OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): >> To all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child: the Rabid Child >>is a girl... >and how do you know that? It says in the song... "Chess Piece Face and The Big Duluth call HER everyday." --Tim ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 21:29:49 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Distant Antenna The woman who does the voice-over for Distant antenna, her name's Elina Lowensohn. Someone said she was a foreign actress. She's not the one who was in Simple Men and Amateur is she? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:37:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: Rabid Child On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 tim.clark@rma.edu wrote: > > > >Les Claypool IS the best bassist, the only one who even compares is > >Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers. BTW- who is Their bassist? do They > >even have one? > And their drummer is one of the best too. Too bad the main singer dude sux and > they write pretty stupid songs cause they're most of the bands is really > talented...anyway. actually, Les Claypool (the bassist) is their lead singerr. you should listen to some of their older stuff, it is so cool. Tales from the punch bowl is their worst album... > >> OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): > >> To all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child: the Rabid Child > >>is a girl... > > >and how do you know that? > It says in the song... oh yeah, that's the only album I haven't listened to like 40 billion times, it's also the only one I don't have. I need to get it... ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 17:18:36 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG and Oasis, etc. << They have a lot of diversity to their music and are very free and open stylisically, but they are just not up on par. I can't think of any band who is on par w/ the Beatles. They just aren't like anyone else. I personally think the closest would be Moxy Fruvous (they rule!!!) and maybe lyrically, Primus... Well, I always thought there was something very Beatles-esque about TMBG--a lot of the lesser-known Beatle's stuff has that same playfulness with an edge quality. I could easily imagine the John's coming up with, say, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer." What cinched it for me was when my dad, who raised me on the Beatles, compared Them with no prompting from me whatsoever! As for Primus, I'm afraid I have the same reaction to them as Brooks (may I join you snivelling under the bed there?) >actually, the title is just "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" Oops, thanks for corrrecting me! Guess I should've indicated I was unsure of the spelling, having not seen the song's name in print for many years! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:38:52 -0400 From: Br K Subject: Re: TMBG rap? >Uhhh...wasn't that ska comment a joke? >A mockery of all those people who DO try to classify everything they can >get their narrow minds on? >Correct me if you were not joking, Br. Sarcasm? You understand sarcasm? :Br. ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Rabid Child Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:31:58 -0500 (CDT) > And their drummer is one of the best too. Too bad the main singer dude sux and > they write pretty stupid songs cause they're most of the bands is really > talented...anyway. I actually rather like their lead singer... He's got a really unusual voice quality that really brightens my day whenever I hear it... I also don't think their songs are stupid... Wierd, yes, but not stupid.... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:22:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: Rabid Child On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, CYBORG wrote: > > And their drummer is one of the best too. Too bad the main singer dude sux and > > they write pretty stupid songs cause they're most of the bands is really > > talented...anyway. > > I actually rather like their lead singer... He's got a really unusual > voice quality that really brightens my day whenever I hear it... I also don't > think their songs are stupid... Wierd, yes, but not stupid.... sure they're stupid. I love primus and I think some of their songs are stupid. what's so bad about being stupid? sure, some aren't stupid, they're just confusing, but they're cool just the same. people need to understand that music is about fun, not about putting some deep meaning or message in everything... ------------------------------ From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Why I Hate Oasis +OAT Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:02:12 -0400 Looks, like I've dropped another bomb..... I don't like Oasis. I hated them the first time I heard them. There is a line between good British rock and top 40 radio trash. Hearing that damn song (champagne supernova) on the radio every fucking time I get into the car irritates me more than anything right now. I'm forced to go to the AM side just to get away from that song. I'd rather listen to G. Gordon Liddy over Oasis, and I despise Liddy (no, I can't put in a tape, as I don't have a tape player in my car). Oasis also seems to be into the whole new wave drug culture, which I don't like. I piss a lot of people off with my comments, but I do believe them. I won't buy an Oasis album, ever, nor will I play them on the radio. If they disappeared of the face of the earth, I wouldn't care. Here's another bomb for ya...I wish I could sing like a weedeater, and make a bunch of money, just like the Smashing Pumpkins. Hate them too!! BlueDawg -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 16 Jun 96 18:58:42 -0400 Subject: PRIMUS Actually I meant stupid as in crappy... :) Lets see need some TMBG content in this message...err...Ahhh...one of my fav. tmbg lines is "He asks a girl if they can both sit in a chair, but he doesn't get nervous, shes not really there." Ahhh reminds me of myself... :) --Tim ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 19:02:14 -0400 Subject: Elina Lowensohn and MLounge pics request. >The woman who does the voice-over for Distant antenna, her name's >Elina Lowensohn. Someone said she was a foreign actress. She's not the one >who was in Simple Men and Amateur is she? Yep. Same woman. I was really excited to see that she did the voice-over, since I _really_ like Hal Hartley's films. And I like her quite a lot as well. I mean here's some real excitement for me... my two mailing lists are crossing. It's like something cosmic, or somethin'. The lyrics, strangely enough, remind me of the NYU radio station. You see, the antenna for the NYU radio station is situated far up in the Bronx, so only people in the Bronx or in the dorms can actually listen to the radio station for NYU students. Well, I've heard that you can sometimes hear it in Brooklyn. Regardless, I don't think it reaches a large portion of the NYU student population. Oh well. Mercury Lounge: (TMBG!) I _finally_ got copies of my friend Bruce's Mercury Lounge pictures. They are from the early show on the 28th and my hair is only in 2 of them. (My magenta hair seemingly found its way into _every_ picture taken at the Mercury Lounge. I apologize.) Anyhow, I am looking for someone interested in housing the lot of them on their web site. I asked for takers back in May, but I'm a mess, so I've lost the mail. _If *you* want to be the keeper O' the pics, e-mail me, and we'll work out the details._ Love, Brooks, who is thinking fond thoughts about June 28th and June 29th. Mono Puffy Yummy. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:45:22 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: TMBG is not ska!!!! Tmbg is not ska. Ska is lame and boring. Ska is a fashion show. Tmbg plays music. Not ska. To say that TMBG plays ska implies that there is no musical diversity in Their music.=Tmbg is the polar opposite of ska. Do you know what ska is? Yes, Tmbgs music shares many things with ska: energy, horns, uptempo songs... BUT, Tmbg is not Klezmer music either, nor Straight-ahead Bebop, nor are THEY The Sugarcubes. Ska died long before The Mighty Mighty Bosstones dusted off (and cashed in on) its dead corpse. Name a single Tmbg 'ska' song please. Im wrong... I know it... someone please fill me in. Reply soon, and we'll get this ugly thing off the newsgroup... Together. John ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 08:01:29 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: I should complain >awww... are we bitter because some people got sick of your imbicilic >humor? are we mad now because people don't want to talk about what comes >out after dinner? jeez, get over it and grow up. That really hurts, yah know? booo hooo... mike(Leahcim) (moron can't tell the difference from happy fun humor and....anger...idiot) :) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:08:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Ska, one last time. > Im wrong... I know it... someone please fill me in. > Reply soon, and we'll get this ugly thing off the newsgroup... Together. > John > > That's probably a good idea. No TMBG is not a ska band. However, I take offence at anyone who claims that ska is "dumb" or "dead" (although I do think the Bosstones are headed that way). However, most of the list probably doesn't care, so if anyone wants to continue to argue, we should probably move our discussion to either direct e-mail or alt.music.ska. Sorry for yet more non-TMBG related posts, but I happen to think that there are a lot of ska bands that are musically equal to or better than our beloved Johns, and anyone who really knows (not neccessarily likes) the music must realize that it is far from "dumb". If anyone has any interest at all please e-mail me. I'm glad to discuss the issue. If you're pissed at reading through yet another ska post, I once again apologize. -Slacker Ng ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 08:12:55 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: I should complain too.... >>And I *should* complain about the fact that everybody knows you can just get >>the digest (as I do) so you really shouldn't be whining about how many >>messages you get per day from this list, but I won't. > >>I *should* complain that you're being a selfish bastard since some of haven't >>gotten the album yet and would like to shop competitively, but you know what? >>I won't. > You poor guy. Don't you see a bit of humor when you see it? I like the list exactly the way it is. And you know what, even if it changed a little, I wouldn't care. I'm just happy to sift through what I want, and what I don't want. NO BIG DEAL. You seem to have made a fool of yourself insulting me, cause you are reading completely wrong. But oh well, I'll forgive you. And insult me all you want, cause I actually get a kick out of it. >>I'm also *NOT* going to complain that despite the fact that you say you can't >>stop other people's mail, you quite apparently think you should be able to, >>oh grand exalted one...But I won't. I don't recall ever saying anything like this. If you could show me where you saw this, I'd be greatful.. I must type mail in my sleep. :P mike (Leahcim) ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:14:20 -0400 From: nmcgrath@world.std.com (Nancy McGrath) Subject: I met Flans! I met John Flansburgh this past weekend! On Saturday night I was at the Fez, a club in NYC's West Village, with some friends of mine (the rock group Rockapella) who were performing in a showcase tribute to the Beach Boys. We were in what passes for a backstage area of that club with two of the members of Rockapella when there he was! Sean Altman (of Rockapella) introduced us. We chatted for a bit about a number of things, including this mailing list. Flans joked that he didn't get any respect from the mailing list (he was definitely kidding!) and asked me to inform everyone that he is really a nice guy. No problem there -- he is! Definitely one of the highlights of my weekend. Nancy McGrath nmcgrath@rockapella.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:18:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: The woman... > Just one question about it though, who is that woman in "The Guitar" on > the Tonight Show? Man, is she annoying!!!!!!! > tucker > The woman singing the chorus is Syd Straw. I guess she doesn't really work well with the song, but I think it's cool that a cast member of my favorite show (Syd plays Miss Fingerwood on the "Adventures of Pete and Pete") is a buddy of one of the better bands in this world. I haven't heard any of her musical work, but hey, she's good on the show! -Slacker Ng P.S. If anyone else on this list is a Pete fan and has taped some episodes, PLEASE E-MAIL ME. There are a couple I missed that I'm dying to get. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 08:18:14 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: I will complain >> BTW, stop arguing about what TMBG is, they just are. > >Why should we stop arguing about TMBG... That's what the list is for: >a discussion of TMBG, and if we happen to have divergent opinions on what >TMBG's all about, what better place to do it than in a mailing list about >TMBG? Personally, I'm going to continue to argue about TMBG. Hmmm.. I personally get pretty bored when everybody posts `me too' messages. I like to see a little excitement. Here here Cyborg. Oh, and thanks for realizing the humorous intent of my previous message ;) Always your true blue, mike(Leahcim) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:22:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: okay, enough Please kids, I plead with us all to stop it with the insult slinging. Every message I read now is nothing but slander and libel. I hear words I never heard in the Bible. Make love not war, and all that. By debating, we all learn. But what do we learn from hurt and anger? Let's all put our arms around and touch our backs and hug ourselves. Aww, now didn't that feel good? :):):):):):):)TMBG! TMBG! TMBG! TMBG! TMBG!:):):):):):):):):):):):) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 08:22:55 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT >Primus is not that bad by the way, of any band I know, they have the best >bass player of any band I know, and in my opinion are like a >slightly-less-clever, evil version of TMBG I'll have to agree slightly here. Also, if you want to hear a really *good* bass player (I won't say the best, because someone will get offended, and miss the humorous quality of the whole thing) you should listen to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. The bass player was voted best bassist by Guitar and Bass Guitar Mag, I think. Not that I read those particular periodicals. Anyhow, he is good. >To all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child: the Rabid Child is >a girl... Ooops. I assumed people knew that... I assumed all those Rabid Childs out there *were* girls. Hmm, sorry guys. mike (Leahcim), still hunting for a copy of websters to post.... ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: Stuff, Read It Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 19:25:05 -0500 OK, first, PLEASE, someone re-post the info about the bootleg video. Second, about how to catagorize TMBG, my step-mother said when I mentioned them "Hmm.... They Might Be Giants, I've met them, kinda like smart alternative...." (She's a musician with 2 albums out [Wendy Maharry]) anyway, in the catalogs from the BMG music club then they are also in alternative. I don't agree with that, they have their own catagory, REALLY GOOD. And, something that made me mad was, while my brother was listing to his crappy music the lyrics being " White Trash, blah #%!#$^@34 blah white trash %@^@$%^@#$% blah, blah, Drugs...... blah" I was complaining about how it sucked and he said "Duh. All you listen to is junk that some guy made in one minute on an old synthesizer!" Well... he's wrong. Sorry if this is long and boring, Is it? Oh Well, once again PLEASE RE-POST THE BOOTLEG VIDEO INFO -Wyatt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:41:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Michael Motorcycle Subject: Address for Video Bootleg (fwd) Wyatt, (and all the rest of you), here is Russ Josephson's message regarding how to obtain the video bootleg. I have it, it rocks out, get it. Mike ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 14:25:53 MDT From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Address for Video Bootleg They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg

They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg Vol. 1

05-30-96
Date     *  Time    Show            Songs                           Source
--------    -----   -------------   ----------------------------    -----------
04/??/96 *  00:56   120 Minutes     "There's Just 120 min" song     Russ Josephson

03/??/90 *  02:15   120 Minutes     Interview (Barbara Bush)        Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Where Your Eyes Don't Go [live] Matt Coon
         *  02:20                   Puppet Head (video)             Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Particle Man [live]             Matt Coon
         *  02:00                   Interview                       Matt Coon
         *  03:15                   Birdhouse IYS (video)           Matt Coon

05/12/90 *  04:08   Letterman       Your Racist Friend [live]       Mike Rose

05/??/90 *  02:25   Muchmusic       Interview segments              Mike Rose

02/01/91 *  01:48   Tiny Toons #51  Introduction                    Bryan White
         *  02:30   TT Music TV     Istanbul [animated]             Bryan White
         *  02:15   TT Music TV     Particle Man [animated]         Bryan White

04/13/92 *  00:25   Muchmusic       Introduction                    Mike Rose
         *  01:50                   She's Actual Size [live]        Mike Rose
         *  03:40                   Interview (RPM appearance 4/14) Mike Rose
         *  02:15                   Mammal [live]                   Mike Rose
         *  03:32                   The Statue GMH (video)          Mike Rose

05/19/92 *  01:00   Letterman       Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         *  02:45                   I Palindrome I [live]           Mike Rose

07/05/92 *  00:30   Tonight         Intro:  Apollo 18 new album     Mike Rose
         *  04:20                   The Guitar [live w/Syd Straw, Branford Marcellus]
         *  02:45                   Interview:  pass the dude       Mike Rose
         *  03:35                   The Statue GMH [live]           Mike Rose

10/26/93 *  03:45   Conan O'Brien   Why Does the SS [live]          Mike Rose
         *  05:15                   Interview:  Shatner's mug       Mike Rose
         *  01:30                   show closing/thank you          Matt Coon

10/??/94 *  01:04   120 Minutes     John & John guest hosts         Bryan White
         *  00:30                   Introducing the band            Bryan White
         *  03:25                   Snail Shell [video]             Bryan White
         *  00:45                   The Cramps video intro          Bryan White
         *  00:30                   "Reverend Horton Heat" song     Bryan White
         *  03:25                   AKA Driver [live]               Bryan White
         *  00:30                   words after Lucious Jackson vid Bryan White
         *  00:35                   Frente video intro              Bryan White
         *  01:00                   "59 Minutes Left To Go" song    Bryan White
         *  00:30                   MC900' Jesus intro              Bryan White
         *  00:30                   Dambuilders video intro         Bryan White
         *  00:38                   words after Pale Saints video   Bryan White
         *  00:25                   Cranberries video intro         Bryan White
         *  00:41                   Jeff Buckley video intro        Bryan White
         *  02:30                   The End OT Tour [live/credits]  Bryan White

??/??/94 *  04:45   Good Morning    Dirt Bike [live]                Russ Josephson
         *  00:15                   Dirt Bike [live over credits]   Matt Coon

10/31/94 *  03:30   Conan O'Brien   Nyquil Driver [live]            Matt Coon

01/??/95 *  02:10   House of Blues  Istanbul [live]                 Ryan Staib
         *  00:28                   Interviews                      Ryan Staib
         *  02:07                   No One Knows My Plan [live]     Ryan Staib
         *  04:38                   The Guitar [live]               Ryan Staib

05/??/90 *  02:30                   Istanbul [video]                Mike Rose

Don't Let's Start [video]       Russ Josephson

03/??/93 *  01:30   120 Minutes     J&J host "New Wave Marathon"    Matt Coon
         *  04:10                   The Guitar (video)              Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   Hotel Detective (clip)          Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   Ana Ng (clip)                   Matt Coon
         *  00:30                   They'll Need A Crane (clip)     Matt Coon
         *  00:20                   "Then We Die" [song]            Matt Coon
         *  01:00                   Dial-a-song plug                Matt Coon

========================================
How To Order TMBG Video Bootleg Volumes:
========================================

Vol. 1 , containing 2 hours of material, is now ready.

I don't think it's proper to get a profit from this project,
as it is a labor of love, and could not happen without the contributions
of many persons.  In other words, my time is free.

Just send me $6.50 for US/Canada, $8 Mexico, $9 other countries.
That should cover my cost for tape, mailer, and postage.
This is for regular tape.  Add $2 for "hi-grade" tapes.

Mail to:

Russ Josephson
1217 N Aspen Dr.
Berthoud, CO  80513-1040

(I don't like the idea of people sending me blank tapes or postage.
I think that it's a waste of postage, as I can get the materials myself,
and maybe get a bulk discount.)
People who contribute new TMBG material will get their copy free of charge.
Contact me to ask about trades.

Vol. 2 will be released as soon as I collect 4 hours of material.

------------------------------ From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Revised Why I Hate Oasis +OAT Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:50:57 -0400 (Insert my Oasis rant here) Here's the related TMBG stuff so that I don't get flamed for lack of TMBG content... Anynoe now when teh next album is coming out? TMBG is sooo kewl!! I'm sooo glad I got this AOL account. AOL rulz!! BlueDawg -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:28:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Ska, one last time. > > Im wrong... I know it... someone please fill me in. > > Reply soon, and we'll get this ugly thing off the newsgroup... Together. > > John > > > > > That's probably a good idea. No TMBG is not a ska band. However, I take > offence at anyone who claims that ska is "dumb" or "dead" (although I do > think the Bosstones are headed that way). However, most of the list > probably doesn't care, so if anyone wants to continue to argue, we should > probably move our discussion to either direct e-mail or alt.music.ska. SKA Is DeAD, no joke its true. Soul musik played by jamaicans stoped atleast 10 years before b(r)ands like the clash , specials, beat and whoever else started to cash in on it(British ska=nuu wave) i dont care what tmbg realy is , you all are wasting your time hear, you should be listening to wesely willis, the smoking popes , and the make-up. get over this tmbg shit. ps - youre all a bunch of faggots ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Ska, one last time. Date: Sun, 16 Jun 96 22:03:56 18000 > whoever else started to cash in on it(British ska=nuu wave) i dont care > what tmbg realy is , you all are wasting your time hear, you should be > listening to wesely willis, the smoking popes , and the make-up. get over > this tmbg shit. > > ps - youre all a bunch of faggots > All right, I propose the following to everyone on the mailing list right now: If you['re going to flame the hell out of this guy, which, unless this is another 'humorous message' whihc just PEEARS to be agner, I totally support, do it to HIM and not to the mailing list!!!! Just a note to try and keep things from getting out of hand too soon -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Subject: Re: Rabid Child Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:23:06 -0600 >>Les Claypool IS the best bassist, the only one who even compares is >>Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers. BTW- who is Their bassist? do They >>even have one? >And their drummer is one of the best too. Too bad the main singer dude sux and >they write pretty stupid songs cause they're most of the bands is really >talented...anyway. >>> OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): >>> To all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child: the Rabid Child >>>is a girl... >>and how do you know that? >It says in the song... >"Chess Piece Face and The Big Duluth call HER everyday." >--Tim Being the called RC for the longest(I think)(not bragging, stating) I was informed many a time that RC is a girl, and Y'know what???? I DON'T CARE. I am me...the fact that I am called and call myself Rabid Child doesnot make me a girl, and in fact, I've never known anyone who was female and called themselves this... also, I know that Matt and I have used this Moniker, but those are the only two listies I know of who use it...who are >all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child:SKA Is DeAD, no joke its true. Soul musik played by jamaicans stoped You need a small "I" in is, a small "D" "A" and "D". Its should be it's. Music is spelled music. You didn't capitlize Jamaicans. stoped should be stopped. >atleast 10 years before b(r)ands like the clash , specials, beat and That should be at least. >whoever else started to cash in on it(British ska=nuu wave) i dont care Capitilize "I" and put an apostrophe in don't. >what tmbg realy is , you all are wasting your time hear, you should be You spelled really wrong. It's here, not HEAR. >listening to wesely willis, the smoking popes , and the make-up. get over >this tmbg shit. ok! ps - youre all a bunch of faggots Is that wishful thinking? Now quit posting stupid things. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Off Topic Posts Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 22:49:44 -0400 (EDT) Ok guys. Let's all settle down. Having everyone one post about how off topic posts are annoying just add to the problem. Lets see if we can go a couple of days without seeing any off topic posts. The bottom line is this one simple rule: IF IT'S NOT ABOUT TMBG, DON'T POST IT. Please, settle down, I don't want to have to remove people from the list to solve the problem. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 01:03:22 -0400 Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT In a message dated 96-06-16 15:51:34 EDT, dmhaas@one.net (Doug Haas) writes: > > Primus is not that bad by the way, of any band I know, they have the best > > bass player of any band I know, and in my opinion are like a > > slightly-less-clever, evil version of TMBG > > > umm, sorry for this unrelated comment, but I think that Primus' > musical abilities are on par with the Johns'. They are just as > clever as Them, but their music doesn't appeal to as many people for > some reason. They're not evil, they just try to be really strange. Okay, I do really like Primus, I wasn't bashing them, it's just that if that I said they were really good, and just as good as TMBG people would flame me and call me a heretic. I know they aren't evil, they're not the Super Suckers (I like them too, and I know they aren't really satanists, don't get mad) or something, I really do like this band, and I was upset by the way they got bashed... > Les Claypool IS the best bassist, the only one who even compares is > Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers. BTW- who is Their bassist? do They > even have one? I think that Flea is there bassist, and if he is not, then one of the other guys is, but they do have one... I like a lot of bands that are always getting mocked by this list... Sure, I won't talk about my Nirvana, |\|I|/|, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Filter, Bad Religion or even my Sound Garbage (yes I know, Garden) CDs, just please don't go around mocking them... > > OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): > > To all you guys out there who use the handle Rabid Child: the Rabid Child is > > a girl... > > and how do you know that? I know this after, for the first time, carefully studying all the lyrics of the Pink Album (I even know some of the words of Puppet Head)... I will repeat the line that reveals that fact here: "Chess Piece Face and The Big Duluth call _her_ everyday" this line is said in reference to the Rabid Child... Sorry all you Rabid boys... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: monopuff Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 01:27:18 -0400 (EDT) In the Devil went down to Newport where they say "He couldn't hang 10, he could only hang 4" what does this mean? I've been pondering this for a while. Does this mean the Devil was hanging surfers (i.e. with a nouse [how do you spell that word?]) and he could only get 5 of em? also, at first I couldn't believe that Flans was singing and I'm still not 100% sure that it is, but I think he has put on this weird accent and it really is himn. I had a hint that it was his voice, is this true? Anyone know? Thanks, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 23:25:21 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Okay, I'm the dumb one who asked 'bout devo. KTUCKER3@aol.com declared: > I was also born in 1978 and I'm 17. The only reason > that I knew about Devo, was from a Beavis and Butthead show. Yes, I love to > watch B+B. They liked the video (esp. video) because they kept on saying, > "whip it". B+B also thought that the funky hats they wear in the video > looked stupid. :) Ah, the minds of America's youth. :) This is our future, friends! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 02:25:34 From: bdewan@tmbg.org (Brian Dewan) Subject: I'm coo coo for Mono Puff (s) Hey all you Cretans! I will hopeflly be indulging my taste for fine music at SurfStock '96 on July 5th at the beach in Belmar, NJ. I encourage you all to go if you live locally. Soul Coughing will be there too and they are big time fun. L8r PCW messier@gnn.com bdewan@tmbg.org Eye bit yew peas. "beware they say, but why would I listen, I need to know what I've been missing. I'm noone you can trust, I'm a little boy lonely with curious lust Confusion turns me upside down, I'm lost as quickly as I'm found, but soon enough it turns it around, On the rebound" ~~~reobound - sebadoh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 23:47:53 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Stuff, Read It Leda Glodell sez: > anyway, in the catalogs from the BMG music club then they are also in > alternative. I don't agree with that, they have their own catagory, REALLY GOOD. Yeah, one day I hope to walk into the Virgin Megastore and see them have a "Really Good" file... why not?! They have every durned category under the sun. > while my brother was listing to his crappy music > I was complaining > about how it sucked and he said "Duh. All you listen to is junk that some > guy made in one minute on an old synthesizer!" Well... he's wrong. Yeah. and he listens to music that steals from other artists!! Talk about originality...?! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 23:52:46 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Ska, one last time. In the unthinkable words of Erik Swedberg: > SKA Is DeAD, no joke its true. Soul musik played by jamaicans stoped > atleast 10 years before b(r)ands like the clash , specials, beat and > whoever else started to cash in on it(British ska=nuu wave) i dont care > what tmbg realy is , you all are wasting your time hear, you should be > listening to wesely willis, the smoking popes , and the make-up. get over > this tmbg shit. > > ps - youre all a bunch of faggots Where the heck did this all come from?! Why is this person even writing on the list?! Again, the purpose of this list to discuss TMBG. If you don't like it, get the frag out. Wesley Willis?! Hooo boy, don't EVEN get me started on that one... And I happen to LIKE The Clash. -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 08:48:49 +0200 to: a spooky man named Ike wrote; >The thing is that Mono Puff and Oasis Both covered a song by "G. Glitter and >M. Leander" as it says in the liner notes Uns. if you look closely... I think >that this "G. Glitter" is the same person who wrote dream weaver from the >waynes world soundtrack, but I'm probably wrong since I can't find my ww LP >(one of two lps that I have)... Anyway, they both ripped off those two guys, "This G.Glitter"?!?!?!? One does not talk of the King of 70's Glam Rock as "This G.Glitter"!!! One speaks of "The Great Gary Glitter" in hushed tones, in due reverance to the fabled "Man with the big leather codpiece". Besides, Oasis didn't really cover "Hello, Hello", it just crops up tongue-in-cheek as part of a track on the album. john@msd.measurex.com wrote; >As long as we're slamming Oasis... > The worst part about Oasis is that they say they are like the Beatles and >are gonna be bigger than the Beatles... the Beatles have incredible variety! > Every single song by Oasis has that specific, shitty, "Manchester Sound" >they are always going on about. Oasis pisses me off. They are arrogant >little b_stards and still wonder why American haven't "caught on'"... If you >want to hear a British band with some style, pick up some Blur or Elastica... >and Matt James tells me that Pulp is good too... Just my opinions, flame >away, but try to keep the bigger ones off the list... Thankyou, I will flame just a little then. Oasis are not "Manchester Sound", please never say otherwise - you're a few miles away, so I'll forgive you that one. But I'd like to know what "shitty Manchester Sound" you are referring to. What are you basing this opinion on - exactly how many "Manchester Sound" bands are heard in the USA? I would say that, with their Beatles affectations, Oasis would be better described as "Liverpool Sound", wouldn't you? Yes Oasis are arrogant bastards BUT what's so new about that? And sorry to have to tell you, but over here I reckon Oasis probably are the biggest thing since the Beatles - it terms of media attention at least. You say The Beatles had incredible variety - yeah, but not on the first two albums I think you'll find. Maybe after a few years and some musical maturity (like the Beatles) Oasis will vary the sound too. As for Elastica - let's wait and see if they can bring out a second album that doesn't involve a lawsuit for plagiarism against EVERY single released. And as for Blur, personally I find their "Cor' bleedin' blimey Guv'nor...Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner...." cliche irritating in the extreme. Just for the record I'm not that bothered about Oasis either...HA! Fritz ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-169 ******************************