Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 17 Wednesday, 17 January 1996 Today's Topics: ID birdcages and neuro Re: she's an angel Re: Music and things Re: she's an angel Money money money Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-14 Re: Music and things (none) Re: Music and things Re: MST3K Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-16 Re: your mail I Should Be Allowed To Think TMBG name origin Re: your mail more jivin' TMBG stuff... SenSurround and Money Re: ID Re: Music and things Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: ID Date: Tue, 16 Jan 96 8:26:59 EDT > > The thing is named "ID" which is, I beleive the hindu word for I, look it > > up, as IO am sure to be wrong. > I don't know if "ID" is the hindu word for I or not, > which if it was it would sure > make for a good interp. but in the words found in the JH CD it says: > "it's a thing named 'it'" > Of course if the "ID" up there was supposed to be a "IT" > it would fit fine and it > being the hindu word for I, it would fit with the song as well. Huh??? A "Hindu" is a person who follows the religion of Hinduism. Or you can refer to Hinduism as the "Hindu" faith. Many Hindus speak the language Hindi. ----- "Id" is Latin for "That" or "it". "Ego" is Latin for "I", as in "me, myself and I". Sigmund Freud used the term "ego" for the everyday humans we are, who must balance the impulses from the "id" (our beast-within) and the highest ideals of our "super-ego". -- John J. Pletikapich john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: birdcages and neuro Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 16:28:49 +0000 (GMT) hello everybody!! I'm feeling pretty smug at the moment cos yest I managed convert my 4th person to the best band on the planet!!!(one being my old Biology teacher - long dull story I shan't bore u all with). Anyway, during my time as an unoffical recruiter for the Giants' fan base, I have noticed an interesting phenomena. Here, people when questioned if they know the band come out with interesting other titles for that big ol' hit song of theirs. I've had Birdcage in my Hole and many other variants quoted at me, but my all time favourite is "The Birdsnest In My Brain Song"... 3 points. Can anyone out there tell me what is wrong with the character in "Destination Moon" in a neurological sense? Off the top of my head I'd guess at a pure motor stroke or maybe a frontal lobe problem. But I'm rubbish at neuro, so I'm expecting to be shot down in flames here! No.2 I really liked that interp of "Self Called Nowhere". It was dead eloquent. No.3 Could anyone else who lives in Britain please e-mail me? I guess I'm just nosey to know of anyone else! nicola ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 11:22:00 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Re: she's an angel Hello--I'm brand new to the list, and so pleased to find on my first received digest a discussion of probably my most favorite TMBG song--She's an Angel. It is sweet, the images are beautiful. I play that one over and over. Glad to have foubnd such a resource of TMBG info--I'm new to the East Coast--a midwestern transplant--and I'm anxious to know any up-coming NYC -area concert info. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:35:21 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Music and things Well, let's examine the song to determine if it's been done for money or not: 1. It's on the MMPR Soundtrack. Do you think they wanted to put it on there? Did they say 'hey, you know what'd be cool? if we put a song on that groovy power rangers movie soundtrack! let's write a song just because it's such a cool movie and such a cool thing to do!' I somehow doubt this. 2. It is different from every single one of their other songs (JH included), because there is 'normal' guitar, which is not found (to my knowledge) on any of their other releases. It also places the keyboard in the far far background, and de-emphasizes the vocal track, highlighting the guitar and drums. Does this sound like TMBG? 3. Altho this has nothing to do with the song, they said 'maybe it would have been worth the dough' about their decision not to put a song on the Pump Up the Volume soundtrack. With all of this evidence compiled, you could support a good case that says they did it for the money, however, I can't be sure of this. I still like the song though. :) - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 96 12:40:03 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: she's an angel > Glad to have foubnd such a resource of TMBG info--I'm new to the East > Coast--a midwestern transplant--and I'm anxious to know any up-coming NYC > -area concert info. Yeah, there is a concert comming up in the NY area. Feb 3 in Rochester, NY at the Rochester Institute of Technology. (this is from the unofficial web page http://www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 18:07:12 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Money money money Hello. Just musing on the "SenSurround - did They do it for the money?" debate. It all seems a bit silly. If we're talking about whether they let the song be included on the soundtrack to make money then, yes, of course they did - but that's part of the reason why musicians release any CDs - to earn a living. So what's the problem? If you're asking whether they made the song commercial and weren't true to themselves (ie. the song was substandard) then this probably isn't true, since everyone seems to like it (unlike 24 O'clock which has got a rather lukewarm reception on the mailing list, I think). Who's to say they even wrote it especially for the soundtrack anyway. What does anyone else think? Seeya, Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:02:54 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-14 I called dial-a-song once and it was busy. Called again and it rang eternally. I dont think I believe in dial-a-song anymore. Joni Marie Back School of Architecture Princeton University jmback@flagstaff.princeton.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:57:11 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Music and things Ryan Staid writes: >[stuff deleted...] > >With all of this evidence compiled, you could support a good case that >says they did it for the money [...] Obviously they did it for money. That is why they tour and release records and video compilations and sell t-shirts and hats and shot glasses and postcards and bumperstickers and posters and coffee mugs and ... This is how they make a living, after all. If they could subsist on the sheer joy of making quality music they would have no need to do anything other than sit in somebody's living room playing for themselves and you would never have heard of them, most likely. Everything that they do professionally *other* than sitting at home and playing for their own artistic edification is, at some level, for the money. This is simply part of being a professional musician. Please don't confuse it with so-called "artistic integrity," an artifice imposed on artists by people who have no valid framework for understanding what it might mean and no justification for judging artists in terms of it unless and until they themselves are similarly artists. m@t ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Date: Tue, 16 Jan 96 11:58:00 PST Hey I heard some rumors about what religion They Might Be Giants are part of. odes any one have any furthor information? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 15:34:43 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Music and things Ah. To all those who have helpfully pointed out that the idea of making money is what drives all of what they do I say "screw off". What I mean is that they did it _just_ for they money, or at least mostly for the money. To answer the argument that this is their living, etc, I answer that in the early years of their band (up to flood), they needed other jobs to support themselves, and in the even earlier years, they did it just for themselves (and they still had many songs from those days that went on the albums). Also, when they put something on the MMPR soundtrack, I was also pointing out the fact that they needed to change their style and market their music for a specific audience, so that it becomes the audiences music, not theirs. Tell me this maintains artistic integrity. However, that's not my point. My point is just that they did it mainly for the money. I'm not holding it against them (or you) or anything, I'm just pointing it out. Also, you're telling me that any time you put something out that costs money, you are doing it for yourself, to make a living? I realize that they _do_ make a living from it, but isn't it also possible that they do it for their fans: tour and release albums and sell stickers, mugs, etc., and make some cash on the side? - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 15:46:59 -0500 (EST) From: charney@hargray.com (Charney Cale) Subject: Re: MST3K > Speakin' of television, I recommend every TMBG fan watch "Cartoon Planet". >It's on USA or TBS or something. For one thing, it's freakin' hilarious! They >do some schtick and then they show a really BAD cartoon from the '70's (much >like MST). And they almost always do something with music by TMBG and usually >list them in the credits. Kinda gives you a warm feeling inside... > > so long for now, > josh This show is a spin off of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast (a talk show hosted by SG) which is on the Cartoon Network, Cartoon Planet is also on TBS. They use "No One Knows My Plan" for background music during the opening sequence. There is a Space Ghost page at http://www.ghostplanet.com, it's really cool. Check out both shows and the page, trust me. -charney http://www.mindspring.com/~rickh/charne3.h tm ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 16:07:47 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-16 In a message dated 96-01-16 03:19:59 EST, you write: > The thing is named "ID" which is, I beleive the hindu word for I, look it >> up, as IO am sure to be wrong. > >I don't know if "ID" is the hindu word for I or not, which if it was it would >sure >make for a good interp. but in the words found in the JH CD it says: > "it's a thing named 'it'" >Of course if the "ID" up there was supposed to be a "IT" it would fit fine >and it >being the hindu word for I, it would fit with the song as well. id is not a hindu word.. its part of the human psyche.. the id, the ego, and the super ego make up the psyche.. anyways its not a thing named id..its a thing named it! the ever perplexed plaguerat ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 15:09:15 -0600 (CST) From: Silly Rabbit Subject: Re: your mail On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > > Hey I heard some rumors about what religion They Might Be Giants are part > of. odes any one have any furthor information? > OH, wow, this is the topic you guys were on when I first subscribed to the list. Does that mean we've gone full cycle and I can quit now? :) Love anyway, Jenny (http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html - More than 2 Dozen Served!) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 96 16:09:55 PST From: rlskm@epix.net (clifton springs millers) Subject: I Should Be Allowed To Think I have been looking everywhere for TMBG T-Shirts. Does anybody know where I can get some? The only way I know how to get them are by going to one of their concerts, and since they aren't touring, I'm stuck. I would also like to give a band that TMBG fans would like. Somebody may have said this, but Phish. I don't know what their concerts are like, but I bought the CD Hoist, and they have lively music and amusing lyrics. I highly recommend it for any TMBG fan. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 10:01:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Todd Spangler Subject: TMBG name origin Actually, TMBG is the name of a movie in which one of the characters (George C. Scott) _thinks_ that he's Sherlock Holmes. It's not a Sherlock Holmes movie per se. -- Mr. E, a.k.a. Spanky ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 17:18:49 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: your mail On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > Hey I heard some rumors about what religion They Might Be Giants are part > of. Does any one have any further information? Well, what were the rumors, and where did you hear them? In the newsletter someone had a question that asked if they had started out as a Christian band, which was revealed to be false. But that doesn't really answer your question, so I guess I don't know. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 16:12:19 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: more jivin' TMBG stuff... >please remember that that is also a saying ,and probably where the best band in the world got Their name. hmm...interesting thought. i honestly hadn't heard the phrase "they might be giants" used in reference to ANYTHING but the band (excluding, of course, the old george c. scott movie of the same title, from which They took Their name. have you read the TMBG FAQ? you might wanna check it out). anyway, given the context of the quotation, I couldn't think of any other way in which it could be interpreted. thanks for bringing this to my attention, though! > the album story of my life is a more tmbg like album... try it out its > great.. i've actually heard this before! a friend of mine recommended SOML, but when I tried to order it, they told me that the label that made it had gone out of business and that until somebody bought the label, they couldn't sell me the disc. perhaps this was just an elaborate way of telling me they didn't have it. anyway, i saw Raygun Suitcase a few weeks later in a store and thought i'd get it. it's not bad, but i really wanted to get Story. aaaargh!! (frustration) Josh's TMBG Media Watch Part III: i saw a really lousy movie yesterday about a kid who kidnaps a gorilla (the title escapes me). Anyway, at one point in the movie we see the kid's friend's dad standing outside the friend's bedroom and from inside the room "sleeping in the flowers" can be heard quite clearly. Mighty cool for a bad movie. so long for now, kids! josh -- -----<[([ Josh Raulerson, King of the Little People })]>----- BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu * :)-- <-- drooling smiley The Fauves Homepage: http://www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html "Once I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)!"### ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 18:02:56 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: SenSurround and Money > Who's to say they even wrote it especially for the soundtrack >anyway. What does anyone else think? I seem to remember list members writing about Them performing the song live well before the MMPR movie was talked about. >This is how they make a living, after all. If they could subsist on the >sheer joy of making quality music they would have no need to do anything >other than sit in somebody's living room playing for themselves and you would >never have heard of them, most likely. Everything that they do professionally >*other* than sitting at home and playing for their own artistic edification >is, at some level, for the money. "Mario, Integrity is everything! You keep the money! We'll live on love. The love we have for sophisticated head-bobbing music." --TMBG, "Mario Speaks" At least They have a sense of humor about the issue. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 20:17:37 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: ID > > "Id" is Latin for "That" or "it". > "Ego" is Latin for "I", as in "me, myself and I". > > Sigmund Freud used the term "ego" for the everyday humans > we are, who must balance the impulses from the "id" (our beast-within) > and the highest ideals of our "super-ego". > right. the word the giants use IS id, its just that they have deep convictions againt printing any latin in their lyric sheets, so the simple enlish translation is used to quell their innate fears of a dead language. erik gaucho @ main.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 20:20:50 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Music and things > 3. Altho this has nothing to do with the song, they said 'maybe it would > have been worth the dough' about their decision not to put a song on the > Pump Up the Volume soundtrack. heck, its fun to EAT every once in a while... erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-17 *****************************