Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-170 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 170 Tuesday, 18 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: monopuff Re: TMBG is rap??? re: Satan Hanging Four. Re: Devil w/ 4 TMBG, the movie Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: DEVO! Re: TMBG, the movie Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus Re: Rabid Child Re: TMBG is rap??? Re: DEVO! Just a note...... Mono Puff and Gary Glitter Sorry... Thanks to all that helped from a British fan. Re: Satan Hanging Four. Moshers/Devil power of dial a song Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT Re: TMBG is not ska!!!! Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT Re: Ska, one last time. Top Ten Ways to cool down after... Why get all hot and bothered? Here's why TMBG's not ska: to Mike ska bashing? Devil Re: The woman... Digested Boba Mail Re: monopuff Re: ska bashing? Pete and Pete and John and John revelation Re: I should complain Thermostat Re: monopuff DC Mono concert Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Subject: Re: monopuff Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 01:12:08 -0600 >In the Devil went down to Newport where they say >"He couldn't hang 10, he could only hang 4" what does this mean? >I've been pondering this for a while. Does this mean the Devil was >hanging surfers >(i.e. with a nouse [how do you spell that word?]) and he could only get 5 >of em? >also, at first I couldn't believe that Flans was singing and I'm still not >100% sure that it is, but I think he has put on this weird accent and it >really is >himn. I had a hint that it was his voice, is this true? Anyone know? >Thanks, I beleive that it is flansly, but I'm often mistaken about less serious things... The puns are, incidentally, of a Charlie Daniels band Song, "The devil went down to Georgia" (Don't, I repeat DO NOT, ask me why I know this) 'Hang Ten' is a surfer expression, and hanging four is a pun intended to doubly use the 'hang' word. The accent is probably again to mock the ChDa band, but it still sounds like him (Some phrases even reminisce to 'Alienation's for the rich'). -Rabid Child (BTW-Not to criticize, Matt, but your writing skills have really declined in recent posts...) (...as have everyone else's...) Noose. ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to: Rabid_Child@tmbg.org * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 07:38:01 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? > At 12:42 PM 6/15/96 -0400, you wrote: > >TMBG is rap? > >I thought they were ska... > >Johns' voices are ska. > >And they've got the horns, speed, and class. > >TMBG is nothing but ska. > From my experience, TMBG are a great many things. They go from one style to another whenever it pleases them. Speaking of TMBG and rap, does anyone remember the rapish version of You'll Miss Me? ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 07:43:35 -0400 Subject: re: Satan Hanging Four. >"He couldn't hang 10, he could only hang 4" what does this mean? I assumed, for some reason, that he could only hang four because the Devil has hooves, as opposed to feet. Granted I could be completely misguided... But then I don't claim to be an expert on surfing or Satan or surfing Satans. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Re: Devil w/ 4 Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 8:37:59 EDT > >In the Devil went down to Newport where they say >"He couldn't hang 10, he could only hang 4" what does this mean? >I've been pondering this for a while The devil has cloven hooves -- two toes per foot. He can't hang 10 because he has only 4 toes ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 09:13:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG, the movie Guess what I found in my friendly local video store this weekend? They Might Be Giants, the movie! (In case anybody doesn't know, this is the 1971 George C. Scott movie from which TMBG took their name.) And my non-TMBG-listening boyfriend even agreed to watch it, which was nothing short of a miracle. He even admitted it was a good movie! Has anyone else here seen it? There's this great scene in a grocery store at the end, which I could appreciate because I work in one. I hate my job. But anyway...just thought I'd share. Now everybody go look for this movie. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:08:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Br K wrote: > TMBG is rap? > I thought they were ska... > Johns' voices are ska. > And they've got the horns, speed, and class. > TMBG is nothing but ska. TMBG is nothing but SKA???? i can understand your reasoning (ie horns, etc.) but i have trouble classifing TMBG is any one thing other than _great_ music. if you want to see where i'm coming from, listen to TMBG, then listen to Mighty Mighty Bosstones or Spring Heeled Jack. i think a comparison of those two will so you were your error lies in calling They ska. sorry if this has already been posted, but i'm just checking my messages from this weekend (Sat. was my birthday) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:12:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: DEVO! On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, David Olson wrote: > The Waitresses performed that theme - it was on their album I could > Rule The World if I could Only Get The Parts which was released in > 1982. They're still one of my favourite bands!!! They had two other > albums; Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful?, and Bruiseology... They kinda > remind me of They in some way which I can't quite put my finger on... > Best, > David > quick question: which album had that song "i know what boys like"? that song was so cool, i mean "i know what boys like/boys like/ boys like me" how can you not love that?? sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:16:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG, the movie Wait... a scene in a grocery store? Someone didn't by any chance return a bag of groceries accidentally taken of the shelf before the expiration date, did they? :) (you never know where references may come from...) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:26:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > :<< Also, is there some B-side (or whatever it'd be called... I don't really > care, myself) named The Big Duluth or something like that? I'm thinking > They Might have done a song with that title in correlation with The Rabid > Child....... > > You're probably thinking of "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal," > from Misc. T, which mentions both Rabid Child and Chess Piece Face. in Rabid Child, the two truckers the rabid child talks to on cb are Chess Piece Face and The Big Duluth....i always wondered why there wasn't a big duluth song.... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:31:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Rabid Child On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > 'Lo Kids! > > I've been listening to the Pink Album (surprise, surprise) and I noticed that > there is this part at the beginning of Rabid Child where I have no idea what > is being sung/said... I tried reversing it on my computer, but it only sounds > worse... Anybody know what this is? well, i listening to the beginning of that song about 12 times and my guess would be "Lord please don't take me away" when you think of those words in it, you can hear it, but i heard that anyway.....just a hunch.... sarah ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:36:23 -0400 (EDT) > > At 12:42 PM 6/15/96 -0400, you wrote: > > >TMBG is rap? > > >I thought they were ska... > > >Johns' voices are ska. > > >And they've got the horns, speed, and class. > > >TMBG is nothing but ska. > > > > >From my experience, TMBG are a great many things. They go from one style > to another whenever it pleases them. > > Speaking of TMBG and rap, does anyone remember the rapish version of You'll > Miss Me? Yes! on the Demo tape! good stuff. Although I prefer the Lincoln version. I do love When it Rains it Snows on the demo tape, that song is incredible, about 1 million times better there. Also, Which Describes How You're Feeling all the Time is great on there. Lots of funky versions of songs on that tape. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:38:57 -0400 Subject: Re: DEVO! << quick question: which album had that song "i know what boys like"? that song was so cool, i mean "i know what boys like/boys like/ boys like me" how can you not love that?? I don't know that one, but I do remember the Waitresses doing that cool song on the show Square Pegs, which has also been mentioned here as of late. Later, Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:41:55 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Just a note...... For all you people's out there - WFNX in Boston played "Your Racist Friend" at about 9:00pm a week ago..... Cool. drg ------------------------------ From: "Thebert, Matthew" Subject: Mono Puff and Gary Glitter Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:16:11 -0500 As my first post, and a long-time fan, I must add my 2 humble opinions: 1-It took several listens, but the new Mono Puff is very TMBG like, and especially like the "I Hit My Head." tune. Unfortunately, I feel ripped off at the length. I know that the TMBG albums aren't the longest albums, but this is short even for them (him). 2-Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: >I think that this "G.Glitter" is the same person who wrote dream weaver from >the waynes world soundtrack... Actually I think Gary Wright wrote dream weaver. Gary Glitter is responsible for other tunes from the 70's such as Rock and Roll pt 2 which is now a staple at every sporting event (nuh na na, nuh nuh nuh "HEY!") or whatever, and some other bad tune that Joan Jett covered in the early eighties. Also, I forgot who asked, but 10 or so digests back, someone said that they had gotten a copy of Back to Skull at the Exclusive Company, and didn't know how big they were. It's a chain limited pretty much to Green Bay, Milwaukee, Madison, Appleton, and Janesville or Beloit, but all in Wisconsin. I also found a copy of Back to Skull the same week, and at the same store in Madison. MATT ------------------------------ From: "Thebert, Matthew" Subject: Sorry... Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:22:10 -0500 My mail was down for several days, so I just noticed that on the Gary Glitter thing, that the next digest someone posted the same answer I gave. Sorry for the duplication. Matt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:45:25 +0000 From: Chriss Bliss Organization: Dovecote Designs Subject: Thanks to all that helped from a British fan. Cheers everyone, I was amazed with the responce I got for getting hold of a copy of "unsuperivsed" by Monopuff. It has been made apparent that it is available to me in this glorious country of mine. Special thanks to: amanda matthew james joe keith courtney patubo eric warmenhoven jon king and of course anyone else who I have failed to acknowledge for thier help. -- = _____________________________ =F7-----------------------------=F7 =F7 Chriss Bliss =F7 =F7 Alias: Kitalina =F7 =F7 Email: bliss@dial.pipex.com =F7 =F7_____________________________=F7 =F7-----------------------------=F7 () ||=A5=A5=A5---------=A7=A7=A7---------=A5=A5=A5 ||--=A5=A5=A5-------=A7=A7=A7-------=A5=A5=A5-- ||----=A5=A5=A5-----=A7=A7=A7-----=A5=A5=A5---- ||------=A5=A5=A5---=A7=A7=A7---=A5=A5=A5------ ||--------=A5=A5=A5-=A7=A7=A7-=A5=A5=A5-------- God Bless ||=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7= =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7 Long live the Queen ||=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7= =A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7=A7 England ||--------=A5=A5=A5-=A7=A7=A7-=A5=A5=A5-------- ||------=A5=A5=A5---=A7=A7=A7---=A5=A5=A5------ ||----=A5=A5=A5-----=A7=A7=A7-----=A5=A5=A5---- ||--=A5=A5=A5-------=A7=A7=A7-------=A5=A5=A5-- ||=A5=A5=A5---------=A7=A7=A7---------=A5=A5=A5 || ------------------------------ From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Satan Hanging Four. Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 13:50:59 -0400 I believe that the line was, "Satan was hindered by his cloven feet." -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ---------- : From: Brooksie2@aol.com : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: re: Satan Hanging Four. : Date: Monday, June 17, 1996 7:43 AM : : >"He couldn't hang 10, he could only hang 4" what does this mean? : : I assumed, for some reason, that he could only hang four because the Devil : has hooves, as opposed to feet. Granted I could be completely misguided... : : But then I don't claim to be an expert on surfing or Satan or surfing Satans. : : Love, : Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 14:12:43 EDT From: "jason soltan" Subject: Moshers/Devil Hi all! Couple of thoughts... > Maybe "popular culture" is more to blame for the behaviour rather than any > changes in style. Amen. The strange thing about this whole moshing problem is that most of the people I know who like Them do not fit the brainwashed bandwagon _I'll do it because I saw it on MTV_ type. I've been listening to Them and going to the shows for about 8 years and I've seen a lot of moshing over this entire span of time. It's not a new phenomenon, but has been getting worse. Given this general nature of TMBG fans, I wouldn't think it would be the problem that it is. It's really just unfortunate that it gets the Johns mad and ruins the show for others... >In the Devil went down to Newport where they say >"He couldn't hang 10, he could only hang 4" what does this mean? I haven't even heard the song yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb. Hooves. Food for thought. Have a They day. Jason "If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:39:59 -0400 From: ana ng Subject: power of dial a song hello all! i was wondering, could someone send me some info on getting a copy of the power of dial a song? please email me at: cb378@freenet.buffalo.edu thanks! BTW, i went to my local media play to buy monopuff, which of course they didn't have so i had to get it specially ordered, but when i was looking for it i stumpled upon a CD called The Moog Cookbook. it's a collection of modern songs redone on moog synthesizers from the 70s. favs of mine are "smells like teen spirit", "the one i love", "black hole sun", and "are you gonna go my way" i definatly recommend it, especially if you're into esquivel..... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 15:12 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT Michael Batchelder wrote: >>Primus is not that bad by the way, of any band I know, they have the best >>bass player of any band I know, and in my opinion are like a >>slightly-less-clever, evil version of TMBG >I'll have to agree slightly here. Also, if you want to hear a really *good* >bass player (I won't say the best, because someone will get offended, and >miss the humorous quality of the whole thing) you should listen to Bela >Fleck and the Flecktones. The bass player was voted best bassist by Guitar >and Bass Guitar Mag, I think. Not that I read those particular periodicals. >Anyhow, he is good. Woohoo!!! Leonard Wooten rules!! I have an old concert taped off of PBS (Wolf Trap or something like that?) that is Just Bass Players and features Leonard, as well as some guy who plays an upright with a bow, and one or two other really hot bassists. Now THAT is a GOOD concert!!! -j.l. ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: TMBG is not ska!!!! Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:45:54 -0500 (CDT) > Tmbg is not ska. > Ska is lame and boring. > Ska is a fashion show. > Tmbg plays music. Not ska. Don't say that kind of stuff.... Just because you don't understand the art form doesn't mean that it's lame and boring, and you don't really have a right to say that kind of stuff anyway. Just because you don't happen to like ska doesn't mean it's the bane of existance or anything like that. I'm afraid that I see you as being very musically racist. A simple "I don't like ska music" would have been, however inappropriate, acceptable. -CJ, with his $0.02 "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 15:48:14 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT > Woohoo!!! Leonard Wooten rules!! I have an old concert taped off of PBS For your information - It's Victor Wooten. drg ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: Ska, one last time. Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:49:37 -0500 (CDT) > All right, I propose the following to everyone on the mailing > list right now: If you['re going to flame the hell out of this guy, > which, unless this is another 'humorous message' whihc just PEEARS to > be agner, I totally support, do it to HIM and not to the mailing > list!!!! Yeah, but I'd urge everyone just to let him go crawl back to whatever hole he lives in and just forget about it. It's not that big of a deal, he's probably just screaming for attention, and you're only going to encourage him if you mailbomb him to hell and back... I'd advise you to just save your energy and put on Flood or something to soothe your nerves... -CJ "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:25:09 -0400 Subject: Top Ten Ways to cool down after... Well guys.... I've been thinking about how mad we've all been lately, myself probably included... and I remembered this top ten list by Tracy... Read it, cool down, consider doing some this stuff... Enjoy >Tracy's Top Ten Ways to Cool Down after Pissing at the Mailing List: > >10. Take a step back and count to 32 >9. Clog dance naked to the Famous Polka >8. Write a derogatory song about the person who pissed you off >7. Hammer on your piglet (take that whatever way you want, you psychos) >6. Make "Memory" cards with illustrations of what you think all > the people on the list look like >5. Play your old B-52s tapes (I'm not the only one, am I?) >4. Break your Lenten promises and indulge in some gluttony >3. Convert to a paganism and learn some myths >2. Tell off the person in Esperanto, quietly >1. Learn to type (that's for me, the girl who accidentally typed > convert to A paganism....they don't teach me nuthin at college) Sorry Leo, if this is not related, it seems fitting... Those of you who came around recently and were never graced by Tracy's presence can find an archive of the her Top Ten lists at the following address... http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/topten1.html Cool down everybody... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:07:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Why get all hot and bothered? Here's why TMBG's not ska: This whole line is silly. Good ska is good music, as is TMBG, but TMBG could NOT, I repeat NOT fall under the category of ska. Here's why: All ska songs, at least every ska song I've ever heard, is VERY heavy on beats two and four, kind of an um-PAH, umPAH, umPAH effect. I can't think of any TMBG songs that do that, off the top of my head. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but on the whole, it's just not the kind of groove TMBG plays. They do share one nice commonality: horns. Horns are nice, but many kinds of music use horns. One could as easily say TMBG was classical for using horns. Don't get me wrong. I really like ska. I think it's one of the most MUSICAL styles to become popular in recent years. You don't have to have green hair or wear a black suit and tie to enjoy it. Let's please not slam someone else's likes because we don't feel the same. We don't have to insult people. It's childish. - Lara ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: to Mike Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 17:54:09 -0400 (EDT) Mike Rose, please mail me, thanks. Sorry all! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: ska bashing? Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:01:45 -0400 (EDT) Somehow I got added to the personal list of ska bashing-people. I do like ska but I seem to be getting cc'd Erik Swedberg's messages directed not only at him but me as well. I'm not sure if I just got caught into this thing and you want me to hear your thoughts or if you think I'm a ska-basher or if you just accidently cc'd me but PLEASE DO NOT. Thank you. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Devil Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:11:51 -0400 (EDT) had not thought of Satan with hooves for some reason, at least at the time. Ahh gotta brush up on my satanism! ;) And remember, They Might Be Giants are not Satanists! They are not posing as an easy listening nazi rock band. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: The woman... Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:55:54 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Cuper Vargas: >> Just one question about it though, who is that woman in "The Guitar" on >> the Tonight Show? Man, is she annoying!!!!!!! >> >The woman singing the chorus is Syd Straw. I guess she doesn't really Syd Straw also sang "The Guitar" (and backup for "The Statue Got Me High" and possibly one other song) on TMBG's "Live from Mountain Stage" performance. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 21:17:41 -0400 From: "Debra J. Metzger" <104302.160@compuserve.com> Subject: Digested Boba Mail Hey there it's Boba! Writing from a foreign computer in North Huntingdon, PA. How is everybody? Hey Alex, Sara, Nola, Cort, Mikey and everyone else that I know. There's not much to say. If anyone wants to correspond via snail-mail write at: Matthew Ondrey 499 McMahon Dr North Huntingdon, PA 15642 God Bless You All and say hi to the Johns for me!! Boba Out. ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 22:40:58 -0400 Subject: Re: monopuff >>>From: Matthew James Subject: monopuff Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 01:27:18 -0400 (EDT) In the Devil went down to Newport where they say "He couldn't hang 10, he could only hang 4" what does this mean? I've been pondering this for a while. Does this mean the Devil was hanging surfers (i.e. with a nouse [how do you spell that word?]) and he could only get 5 of em?<<< Hmm. well, I haven't heard the song, but isn't the devil supposed to have cloven hooves? Meaning two "toes" on each foot? 2+2=4 last time I checked. And it's noose :) Christy (I'm new here, feel free to not flame me) ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: ska bashing? Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:04:08 -0700 I sorta kept myself out of this thread because I felt I had better things to do on a TMBG list than to talk about stuff that is not TMBG, although we do talk about other bands that might appeal to a TMBG fan, now TMBG is NOT ska, so we can drop that thread altogether. It has some of the energy and fun of ska, but sorry, no dice. I don't really appreciate those that just pick some kind of music and decide that it is bad because it's something they don't like... I don't think that is very enlightened and definitely something that doesn't belong on a TMBG mailing list because it is just spreading hate, and sorry TMBG is not about hate. I personally grew up listening to Madness, the Specials, English Beat, bands INFLUENCED by ska (note I did not say they were ska... they were called two tone), bands that had fun, knew how to make a good groovy dance beat, and had some socially conscious lyrics. The Specials especially had some anti-racist messages that I thought were really powerful, like the song "Rascist Friend" (sound like a TMBG song title?)... I think some people who bash the two tone movement do so because it preached love for your fellow man and racial equality. I was at a concert on Saturday that had 11 bands, all of them a little bit different. But everyone had fun and everyone enjoyed themselves and no one was spouting off how much one particular kind of music sucked and was stupid and therefore everyone who listens to it is stupid. They had a couple bands that were influenced by ska but were probably more punk (Goldfinger, No Doubt) and some groups that were sorta funk and sorta not (311, Red Hot Chili Peppers). But a good time was had by all! (I especially liked it when Dave Wakeling of the Beat joined Goldfinger for "Mirror In The Bathroom"). I will now get off my soapbox charles "Dead Uncle Allotheria" ---------- : From: Matthew James : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: ska bashing? : Date: Monday, June 17, 1996 3:01 PM : : Somehow I got added to the personal list of ska bashing-people. I do : like ska but I seem to be getting cc'd Erik Swedberg's messages directed : not only at him but me as well. I'm not sure if I just got caught into : this thing and you want me to hear your thoughts or if you think I'm a : ska-basher or if you just accidently cc'd me but PLEASE DO NOT. Thank : you. : Matt : -- : ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ : Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper : "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC : Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash : Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp : Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass : -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 23:52:03 -0400 Subject: Pete and Pete and John and John Hello 41- This is going to start about Pete and Pete, but it is TMBG related, I promise. Someone said somthing about Pete and Pete, and it got me thinking... I remember being told to see an episode TMBG were supposed to be on. It was some other band, but I watched anyways. It ended up that Pete and his band had to make money, so they took a lot of random requests and people tried to give them songs they didn't know. My how this sounds like Stump the Band... This may be a really old thread for you all, but a lightbulb came on in my head (and it hurt). Are the writers fans of Them (like Clarissa's), is there some great thing I am missing? Just like to know. Nit ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: revelation Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:26:28 -0400 (EDT) Hello all, I had a wild revelation today as I was driving home today listening to the Demo tape. I noticed that the range of songs on this tape went from Pink album items all the way to songs found on Apollo 18. So, like Star Trek, they seemed to have a 5 album mission (Pink Album, Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 18, even Misc T with the Biggest One). So John and John it seems plotted out a 5 album string that they would make over the 7 or so years. Apparently, they could see 7 years in the future and knew that they would make these five albums as John and John. So what happens when 1994 rolls around? Well Apollo 18's been out for a long while and they begin to think, we gotta do something, we didn't plan on playing this long. Personally, I bet John Flansburgh'd bet he'd be working in a barber shop by now and Linnell'd be translating for the Japanese in Tokyo. So they think, we gotta spice things up. Let's add the full band, Brian Doherty's really cool and Tony Maimone is a rockin' bassist. Well they finally got their line-up today and continue to rock into the 21st century. What do ya all think? Course this could be a lot of bull ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:44:14 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: I should complain >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 22:07:06 -0500 (CDT) >From: Frankenberry >To: Michael Batchelder >Subject: Re: I should complain >y'know, mike, i could have forgiven your ignorance and lack of common >sense in knowing that, if you really were joking (which i'm not convinced >you were. i think you're covering your ass), that there are ways to >communicate such sentiments. sarcasm doesn't come across too clearly in >printed word. > >i could have forgiven your no doubt thoughtless remarks and petty >insults, reasoning that, yes, it was coming from the guy who started the >"buttknob" thread. > >but you had to go public, didn't ya, mike. ya had ta sell out. you had >to go and put private mail on the list, further cluttering it. i suggest >you heed santa's warning and head for higher ground. > >flee from rockville. > >frank What the hell is this frank guy talking about anyhow? I think he has a larger then normal buttknob, and he is just sour about it. I have one thing to say to you frank: "See a Proctologist." mike (Leahcim) ===================================================== Michael Batchelder -- Vice President -- PENTREL CORPORATION michael@saturn.caps.maine.edu Services, Computer sales, michael@pentrel.com Software development http://pentrel.com/michael/ http://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== WWW SPACE!!! FOR ONLY $2 A MONTH, GET 1 MEGABYTE OF SPACE, AND A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. -------- CONTACT ME OR VISIT HTTP://pentrel.com/ ===================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:51:03 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Thermostat I was listening to thermostat in the car the other day and an interpretation occured to me. Forgive me if this has been suggested already, but it seems like it could be about social situations and how painful they can be. It reminds me of Pulp Fiction where Uma says its nice when two people can enjoy a comfortable silence. Well, most people can't enjoy comfartable silence with other people, especially in a group. There is always someone who has to break the silence. Anyhow, its like when people say `Gee, isn't it hot in here?' when things get uncomfortable. There is some other lyrics in the song that fit this, but its late and I can't remember what song I'm writing about. mike(Leahcim) ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:53:03 -0400 Subject: Re: monopuff >(i.e. with a nouse [how do you spell that word?]) It's spelled noose. :) tucker ------------------------------ From: SirMovie@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:54:21 -0400 Subject: DC Mono concert Does anyone know where I can get tickets for the Monopuff concert in DC? And how much do they cost? I really wanna go!! -Mister A ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-170 ******************************