Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-171 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 171 Wednesday, 19 June 1996 Today's Topics: Monopuff on MTV TMBG, the movie (none) Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT Re: revelation Their music classification Re: Monopuff on MTV Re: Their music classification monopuff list? WDTSS Re: monopuff list? Re: revelation Re: monopuff list? Flans on AOL tonight Re: Flans on AOL tonight Clarissa... Elfin Vision I got *my* Mono Puff! Re: Their music classification Ska / Mosh LIST: a new list = a bad idea Re: Clarissa... Re: I Know What Boys Like Picking Clarissa nits Off-Top Waitresses... CRAP hahahahahahha Mono Puff Chat on AOL Re: Ska / Mosh Re: WDTSS Flans on AOL... movie Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Monopuff on MTV Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 07:51:29 -0400 (EDT) Now is the time friends. If we want to get Monopuff on MTV this is the best time to call, or so I've been told. I think if everyone on the list calls once a day it will most certianly be on. The song we want is "The Devil went down to Newport (Totally Rocking)" by Monopuff. I don't know the MTV number (or even when the countdown is on anymore) so someone else will have to post that. Let's show Flans the power of the Internet and get this video to #1! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:06:05 -0400 From: marcus@coastalnet.com (Marcus) Subject: TMBG, the movie To those who have yet to tune in to the movie They Might Be Giants, drink it as soon as you can find it. An interesting drug indeed... The Look: cartoonish, unrealistic quality to take off the intellectuals. Hard to desribe, doesn't look like a *movie* movie. The Plot: You got yourself a man who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes and his psychaitrist, plus a whole slew of people who want to believe him or want to lock him up. Modernized Don Quixote, ya dig? Anyone with any amount of learnin' would hate themselves if they took it seriously. The Tone: kinda like the Last Picture Show, only campy and fun. The Altogether: It seems like any old basic middle of the night killing time movie, but if you watch it thinking that it's the opitome of movie making, then it is. Fun and not taking itself too seriously, but in the end honest and meaningful. All in all it reminded me of a certain band I know (No, not K.C. and the Sunshine Band). I can't think of a better place tmbg could have taken their name from. Sorry about the length of this post, but I loved this movie too much. For one who is rarely affected by anything, it made me feel one of my very favorite emotions. A sort of happy-sadness I don't know a word for. There's a little bit of it in Hide Away Folk Family. So get out there and rent it, and love it as I love Brooksie. Marcus. An OAT of my own: If any of you are ever thinking about staying up for three days straight without any sustenance but Mountain Dew; I highly recommend you don't. The state of mind you achieve is nothing like the peaceful clarity reported by ascetics of old. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 07:51:16 -0500 I JUST GOT LINCOLN!!! Fav. Songs are Snowball In Hell, Shoehorn With Teeth, Cowtown, and Ana Ng. The Only One I don't Like Is You'll Miss Me. And, With Telnet, ( As i asked before ) then do you need a program??? if so, where do you get one??? I Wanna go To That Place..... -Wyatt, who must be getting annoying with dumb questions. PS. On THE PALACE, A chat program, i changed my name to snowball in hell and have pictures of tmbg stuff.... i've met a few Giants fans on. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 09:52 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: Chess Piece Face, The Big Duluth, and Primus+OAT gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) gently corrected me thus: >> Woohoo!!! Leonard Wooten rules!! I have an old concert taped off of PBS >For your information - > It's Victor Wooten. >drg yes, i know. that's what i get for relying on my memory when i'm sleep-deprived. sorry, all. in my defense, i can only say that his name is Victor Lemonte Wooten, and Lemonte *kinda* sounds like Leonard. *sigh* i'll go have a nap now. don't tell my boss. :) -j.l. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:41:48 -0500 (CDT) From: axel@tmbg.org (Kurt Anderson) Subject: Re: revelation >about the revelations A while ago when I was neatly stacking my TMBG CDs in my holder thing I noticed something. It was small side that you see when you look at them in the holder. The alternate color. Pink = pink Linc = black Flood = yellow A18 = black JH = orange Now, Misc T doesnt fit into this little theory. Why, I dont know. But its my guess that the new album will haev a black side. Did anybody notice this before? Is this some weird cooincidence that has no basis in reality (cause of misct)? Anyway carry on. (aka) kurt ~~~ Kurt Anderson axel@tmbg.org kaacoolguy@tmbg.org axel@interaccess.com homepage.interaccess.com/~axel ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Their music classification Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 11:47:55 -0500 For the past couple days now, there have been arguments about classifying TMBG as ska or even rap *shudders* or whatever. The thing with TMBG I think (and I also think this is one of the things that makes them so special) is that they are totally unclassifiable. They have so many DIFFERENT styles depending on the song. For instance, No One Knows My Plan is very "ska-esque" and a new song called Counterfit Faker and the good old We Want A Rock are rather "country-esque" Most of their songs fit in the category of rock, I think, but their styles are so diverse, that they become a classifiacation of their own. *deposits .02* Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:51:32 -0400 Subject: Re: Monopuff on MTV In a message dated 96-06-18 07:53:36 EDT, good old Leo wrote: > The song we want is "The Devil went down to Newport > (Totally Rocking)" by Monopuff. I don't know the MTV number > (or even when the countdown is on anymore) so someone else will > have to post that. > > Let's show Flans the power of the Internet and get this > video to #1! Yay! Anyway, I've been going on about this for months... Okay, weeks, but really, I'm pretty sure the call in time 5:30 pm Eastern Standard Time and the number is 1-800-DIAL-MTV ... Okay everybody, go out and learn how to use your phones, and your days will be totally rockin'... Oh, and I'm gonna go tell the Newsgroup too... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:33:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Their music classification Well, their songs are really more of a happy depressing sort of songs... they tend to have uplifting sounding music with depressing lyrics. Some good examples: Birdhouse in Your Soul, No One Knows My Plan, Purple Toupee, and Don't Let's Start. Of course, TMBG songs can probably be split into as many categories as ALL music can (well... there are a lot of categories) There are, of course, songs that are downright depressing (but good), where the music and the lyrics are depressing: Narrow Your Eyes, Subliminal, A Self Called Nowhere, She's an Angel, Ana Ng and The End of the Tour. And then there's total randomness, which They seem to have gotten a reputation for because people couldn't figure out meaning in songs like Particle Man and Cowtown. Other songs in this category are Rhythm Section Want Ad and Istanbul. But most importantly, the categories are defined by the listener. TMBG is good music, and that's really all that matters. Of course, depending on the mood I'm in I'll listen to different songs, although I often will listen to just a whole album or two or three... That's just my 5 cents for now. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:01:46 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Organization: ATP Entertainment Subject: monopuff list? It seems there is a lot of mono puff stuff on this list. What might be better than a tmbg list and an "unrelated subject" tmbg list would be a mono puff list and try to keep them somewhat seperate. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:11:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: WDTSS I just have to share this with you all...yesterday I was at my bf's house and I was looking through these books he read when he was a kid, and there was this book about stars. I was shocked to find the following quote, and I *swear* this is word-for-word: "...yet if it were hollow, over a million Earths could easily fit inside...The sun is a mass of incandescent gas: a gigantic nuclear furnace where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees." Pretty cool, eh? People who have seen the interview on Conan O'Brien on the video bootleg, where Flans is talking about how the Golden Book of Stars says "the sun is a mass of incandescent gas..." etc., and that he was surprised that it wasn't credited in the song--I guess he wasn't kidding! I looked at the front of the book, and sure enough, it was the Golden Book of Stars. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:57:32 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: monopuff list? In response to the message below - Why have Mono Puff as a seperate list??? That seems like it is taking this "keep junk off this list" campaign, to a new low. I REALLY, REALLY, do not to be flaming anyone. O.K.... I do...but....c'mon people! Why keep the John's solo projects on a seperate list? I hope this is the only person that feels this way......otherwise, it's just so sad...... drg ----- Begin Included Message ----- It seems there is a lot of mono puff stuff on this list. What might be better than a tmbg list and an "unrelated subject" tmbg list would be a mono puff list and try to keep them somewhat seperate. ----- End Included Message ----- ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: revelation Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:07:48 -0500 (CDT) > Now, Misc T doesnt fit into this little theory. Why, I dont know. But its > my guess that the new album will haev a black side. Did anybody notice this > before? Is this some weird cooincidence that has no basis in reality (cause > of misct)? Anyway carry on. Well, Misc. T doesn't really fit in with any other patterns, either... It was released on an odd year (1991, I believe), whereas every other TMBG album had come out every two years, starting in 1986, it's full of songs that were really strange, unusual, or just remixes, etc, etc, etc, yadayadayada (to steal someone else's quote...). I'm in for the next album being black theory.... ;) -CJ "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: monopuff list? Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:10:28 -0500 (CDT) > It seems there is a lot of mono puff stuff on this list. What might be > better than a tmbg list and an "unrelated subject" tmbg list would be a > mono puff list and try to keep them somewhat seperate. I've always kind of considered this to be a pretty open list, and if we can tolerate blokes like me talking about Primus and NIN and stuff like that, I think that monopuff kind of fits into the TMBG list rather nicely. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, monopuff is at least 1/2 related to TMBG, which nobody can really argue with, I don't think, and the fact that that'll be Flansy's main influence for awhile makes it even more so, but I'm babbling now and I really should stop, but regardless I'm just saying I think that monopuff discussions fit in just fine here on the list. ---- That was the test of the emergency babbling system. had there been an actual emergency, it might have made sense, and there might have been some more punctuation, too....... -Cj "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:46:04 -0700 From: jefftmbg@ix.netcom.com (Jeff P Gustafson) Subject: Flans on AOL tonight Just thought I'd remind everyone that Jonh Flansburg will be on America Online tonight at 11. If you don't have AOL, you can get a transcript of thee interview off the world wide web a few minutes after the interview (I'm not going to post it because that would just clutter peoples mailboxes with a long message). You can find the interview at this URL: http://204.156.30.1/~Moogle/flans.txt That will appear around midnight or so... Hope to see some of you guys online. -Jeff http://204.156.30.1/~Moogle/istanbul.htm ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 15:06:45 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Flans on AOL tonight HEY!!!!! That's not TMBG related! That's just half of Them, so that belongs on a different list!!! Please do not make the same mistake again! (sarcasm) drg > Just thought I'd remind everyone that Jonh Flansburg will be on America > Online tonight at 11. If you don't have AOL, you can get a transcript > of thee interview off the world wide web a few minutes after the > interview (I'm not going to post it because that would just clutter > peoples mailboxes with a long message). You can find the interview at > this URL: http://204.156.30.1/~Moogle/flans.txt > That will appear around midnight or so... ------------------------------ From: Mooseician@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 15:23:48 -0400 Subject: Clarissa... >Are the writers fans of Them >(like Clarissa's), is there some great thing I am missing? Ye gods, somebody else who remembers Clarissa Explains It All. I was a rabid fan of that show back when I was young and stupid , and I didn't even realize how supremely cool it was that she had a poster of Them on her wall. I think she said on the first episode of the show that she wanted to marry Linnell... moose ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 15:29:17 -0400 Subject: Elfin Vision Okay, I got WHY DOES THE SUN SHINE? (The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescent Gas) about a week ago, the same day I got Mono Puff (Yippee!), and I have been wondering about something it says on the back... On the back, in the description of WHIRLPOOL, it says, and I quote, "The bass and saxophone arrangement presented here compliments the Meat Puppets' elfin vision." What is this elfin vision? What does it have to do bass and saxophone? Why _does_ the sun shine? "There was a swirling mass of water that lived in a quiet pond, it asked permission from it's master to visit the lands beyond..." a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:36:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: I got *my* Mono Puff! Hideho! I was at a record store today (but not for Mono Puff--I went to pick up some XTC singles I'm mailing to the Netherlands...but that's another story.) Anyway, I'm not really paying attention to the music playing, until I realize that it sounds somewhat familiar. Suddenly I realize that the person singing is none other than Flans himself, and the lyrics he was singing were "I was unsupervised..." Yes, the store was actually *playing* Unsupervised! So, I went to the shelf, looked for the disc. No Mono Puff. I merely go to the counter and, pointing to the sky, say "Do you have this?" It turns out they had gotten it (and the Devil EP, which I also picked up) in just that day, and hadn't gotten around to putting it up on the shelves yet. So I got *my* Mono Puff! But wait--the story's not over yet! One of the record store people wasn't really doing anything, and he started *dancing* to the magical sound of Mono Puff! He then asked the other guy, "'I hit my head'? Is that what he's saying?" Needless to say, I was very happy to see that the record store people were fond of Mono Puff. :) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I spend too much time raiding windmills. We go side by side, laugh until | \-------it's right." Toad The Wet Sprocket, "Windmills"---------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:21:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: Their music classification On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Emily Lerche Kerr wrote: > Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 11:47:55 -0500 > From: Emily Lerche Kerr > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: Their music classification > > For the past couple days now, there have been arguments about classifying > TMBG as ska or even rap *shudders* or whatever. The thing with TMBG I > think (and I also think this is one of the things that makes them so > special) is that they are totally unclassifiable. They have so many > DIFFERENT styles depending on the song. For instance, No One Knows My Plan > is very "ska-esque" and a new song called Counterfit Faker and the good old > We Want A Rock are rather "country-esque" Most of their songs fit in the > category of rock, I think, but their styles are so diverse, that they > become a classifiacation of their own. > *deposits .02* > > Ana Ng You're absolutely right, but here's another tidbit: "No One Knows My Plan" has a latin rhythm. Most specifically, it's merengue (mear-ANG-gay). Any Latinos on the list, correct me if I'm wrong. I used to sing in a Latin American band, and when everyone else joins the conga line, and if I have a partner who can figure it out, I merengue! It has the added plus of keeping a good spot and not ending up in the back of the room! :) -Lara ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 00:26:06 +0100 From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Ska / Mosh Pellow Heaps, As I sit here - the dulcet tones of the new Team Dresch album ringing in my ears - I'm strangely drawn (TM) to the debate that rages about ska and moshing.... Well - music is personally interpretive to everyone. Thus, if some decide to classify TMBG as ska, then so be it, but (for all it's worth) my ZW$0.02's worth is.... My idea of ska is that it's a reggae-punk/rock crossover. I mean that there is punk there - no doubt, but there is also reggae too. Grab a listen to The Swingin' Utters' album "Streets Of San Francisco" and especially to "Soldier Boy" or "Stars And Starlets" or to their "The Sounds Wrong" E.P. and I think you would agree that there lies ska, but I would argue vigoursly (sp?) against TMBG being ska, but.... each to his own. Moshing. A year ago I had an exciting discussion with one Doug B Hollywood (where the hell is he BTW). The bottom line here was that UK moshers *were* far more civilised than US moshers. I will, however, add that recently I have become pretty perturbed about the ferocity of the moshing at gigs over here. I have always been able to wear my glasses IN THE MOSH PIT, but the last two gigs I went to where I _did_ go into the pit (Carter USM & Ash), I had to go in "blind"... but in the main, I s'pose it depends where you are as to how severe the moshing actually is. (Don't forget to add Sales Tax!!!!) Joe ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 20:12:28 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: LIST: a new list = a bad idea First of all, I must agree that there is way too much crap-ola on this list for my tastes, but I know that vital info for TMBG fans comes through these channels, so I am still subscribed to the list. But I think it would be a mistake to create a new list. Here is my alternate solution: follow a strict subject-line policy, so everyone can tell at first glance whether a message is "TMBG," "LIST"-related, or "CRAP". For example, my subject line. This may not help digesters too much, but those getting the individual messages might appreciate it. Perhaps you could set tmbg-digest@tmbg.org to only accept mails with subj-lines with certain lead-in words, like "TMBG," "LIST," and "CRAP" from above. Of course, I have no idea if this is possible, but if it can work it may be the soln y'all are looking for. On a more THEY related note, lately Their music has sounded different to me. I mean, the experience is different. Once it was just music in the background of my life, but now I can hear each individual John singing, like he was right next to me. Like these guys are people too, not just using their voices as instruments. Or is it just my lobotomy? Later, andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 19:25:55 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: Clarissa... >Ye gods, somebody else who remembers Clarissa Explains It All. I was a rabid >fan of that show back when I was young and stupid sucker for pop culture at a young age>, and I didn't even realize how >supremely cool it was that she had a poster of Them on her wall. I think she >said on the first episode of the show that she wanted to marry Linnell... > >moose >a coincidence.> > I just went into an old Nickelodeon frenzy upon reading this message. When I first got my guitar, I realized how easy it was to do the "Sam Enters" riff. Was there a line like that I wasn't a fan of TMBG at the time, but I think I'd remember. As for Pete & Pete, that show always kicked arse. They had a knack for off-beat stuff, especially the bands, that turned out really cool. What was that theme song band.. Polaris or something? Oh.. well. Did TMBG ever appear? Jeff Jeff Morrow jmorrow@voicenet.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: I Know What Boys Like Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 21:52:49 -0500 From: Della & Steve Schiavo >> The Waitresses performed that theme - it was on their album I could >> Rule The World if I could Only Get The Parts which was released in >> 1982. They're still one of my favourite bands!!! They had two other >> albums; Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful?, and Bruiseology... They kinda >> remind me of They in some way which I can't quite put my finger on... >> Best, >> David >> >quick question: which album had that song "i know what boys like"? that >song was so cool, i mean "i know what boys like/boys like/ boys like me" >how can you not love that?? > >sarah It's on the first album, which is not called "I Could Rule The World...." but "Contents Dislodged During Shipment". ("I Could Rule..." is a song on the album). And would you give us your analysis of "I Know What Boys Like"? - Steve ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:08:19 -0400 Subject: Picking Clarissa nits Hello 41- To keep things straight, I belive the cool Clarissa had two TMBG posters. One was from Flood, and the other was of the Johns fairly close up. I think I recall an episode where she talks about her favorite things, and she talks about TMBG but I may be wrong. Keeping my head above water, Nit ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:19:49 +0000 From: David Olson Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: Off-Top Waitresses... Della & Steve Schiavo wrote: > > It's on the first album, which is not called "I Could Rule The World...." > but "Contents Dislodged During Shipment". ("I Could Rule..." is a song > on the album). Hmmm... I Know what boys like is on the album with the red/white checkerboard jacket - 'wasn't tomorrow wonderful'. I don't have the 'Contents dislodged during shipment album', but *DO* have one called 'I could rule the world if I could only get the parts' which features a woman strolling a round a globe on the jacket. Perhaps they released an album that was a combination of these two? Is it an import? Best, David p.s. v. sorry for the way-off topic - I'm just confused... -- ----\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /---- ---\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /--- -----/ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/------ * trixter@pop1.channel1.com * ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:26:29 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: CRAP hahahahahahha Hey all, I'm leaving for Italy and won't be back till the 2nd. Don't miss me too much, and if it gets really unbearable, you can hire an interim buttknob. Till then, this is your resident buttknob signing out. mike(Leahcim) p.s. for some tmbg content, my friends interp of thermostat was that the song is telling people to get up and do sumthing if you don't like it instead of just sitting there. i.e., if its too hot, don't complain, turn the damn thermostat down........... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:21:28 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Mono Puff Chat on AOL I am so angry I could....AAAAA. Stupid Damn time differences!!! I am in California and somehow I miscalculated the time and came in at 9:00 P.M. which was an hour too late. Anyone have a copy of the chat or no where I can get it?? Bye, Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org "It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:23:20 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: Ska / Mosh i heard you asking: > Moshing. A year ago I had an exciting discussion with one Doug B Hollywood > (where the hell is he BTW). i'm Douglas B Hollywood. actually, the person writing this is Douglas B Hollywood. my brother (Frankenberry) read your message and let me write you back on his account. it's good to see that the legend is still alive. have fun, kids. sinsaralee, Douglas B Hollywood (the "B" stands for "the Baddest") ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 00:25:11 -0400 From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: WDTSS At 09:11 6/18/96 -0500, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: >there was this book about stars. I was shocked to find the following >quote, and I *swear* this is word-for-word: > >"...yet if it were hollow, over a million Earths could easily fit >inside...The sun is a mass of incandescent gas: a gigantic nuclear >furnace where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions >of degrees." I have exactly the same book!! It was published in 1953, and I bought it on a garage sale last year for 25cents, not knowing it had this quote. When I read it, I fell off my chair and spilled my crack. Alex ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 00:31:33 -0400 Subject: Flans on AOL... well it was a bust, as Kaylum and Idiotnot already know... but you can check out what was said at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/chat.log with in the next few minutes... it's pretty insulting toward Flans, but that is what to be expected from those freaks who never set foot outside an aol chatroom... with in the next few days I will remove all but the questions and answers and add html... check my tmbg page... the hall of heads... what a waste of AOL time... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: movie Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 02:00:03 -0400 (EDT) Well I searched all over town for the They Might Be GBiants the movie but my friend Sarah and I finally found it! It is a really good movie. It is really bizarre, right up the alley of TMBG, I can see why they liked this movie and named themselves after it. There is a great line where he is in a cab or car or soemthing and he talks about Giants and I can't remember it but when I see it again I'll remmber. Really good flick, wish I could buy it. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-171 ******************************