Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-173 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 173 Friday, 21 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Picking Clarissa nits Re: Fingertips. Re: Flans Chat +OAT Re: WDTSS Re: Fingertips. Re: Fingertips. Re: Flans Chat clarissa Re: Flans on AOL Re: clarissa Re: The infamous Flans Chat Bored and Wondering Flans on AOL They said it couldn't be done. Re: Flans on AOL Re: clarissa Re: They said it couldn't be done. Devil EP + OAT Re: Rabid Child TMBG Discussion page Re: Fingertips. Empty-Vee Request FAQ Re: revelation GOODBYE FOR NOW... Re: Bored and Wondering Re: They said it couldn't be done. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 01:11:35 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Picking Clarissa nits > To keep things straight, I belive the cool Clarissa had two TMBG posters. > One was from Flood, and the other was of the Johns fairly close up. > > I think I recall an episode where she talks about her favorite things, and > she talks about TMBG but I may be wrong. Now people, I have no remorse in saying that I watch(ed) Clarissa, because she is kewl. And yes, Nit, I believe you are correct. -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 01:27:06 -0700 From: courtoonie <"toonie@tmbg.org, cpatubo"@hooked.net> Subject: Re: Fingertips. > Something that was fairly obviously about this song just recently > occured to me. The stretches from #17, to #37. That's 20 songs. So I > figure that the 2 johns just made up a short little statement about each > of their fingertips. I've read a few Interpretations about this > song(such as, flipping through the radio.. etc..), and never did I see > this mentioned.. Anyhow, there's my interpretation. Well, the numerous tracks are a treat to those of us with shuffle or random on our cd players... you will hear a "fingertips" snippet bewteen songs! Pretty neat, eh?! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 01:30:19 -0700 From: courtoonie <"toonie@tmbg.org, cpatubo"@hooked.net> Subject: Re: Flans Chat +OAT BlueDawg wrote: > > If you missed it, you didn't miss much. Ruprecht and decided that the > average age of the attendees was 11 1/2. Oh, no KIDDING! It totally bought the farm. Well, those of you in Row 7 totally rocked! We had the best questions... "What's Mono Puff?!" -- This is an ACTUAL quote, my friends!!! duuuuuhh. -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 01:32:16 -0700 From: courtoonie <"toonie@tmbg.org, cpatubo"@hooked.net> Subject: Re: WDTSS > "...yet if it were hollow, over a million Earths could easily fit > inside...The sun is a mass of incandescent gas: a gigantic nuclear > furnace where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions > of degrees." Y'know, I think I heard somewhere that this was also a part of another song from someone else way back when, but I COULD be wrong... -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:05:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Fingertips. 17 to 37 is actually 21, but two of them are the same general theme (Fingertips). They have specifically said that it was meant to be like one of those ads you hear on the radio or see on TV for a compilation type record and you only hear a little clip of each song. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:11:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Fingertips. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Jun-96 Re: Fingertips. by courtoonie@hooked.net >Well, the numerous tracks are a treat to those of us with shuffle or random on > >our cd players... you will hear a "fingertips" snippet bewteen songs! Pretty Only not... for me they usually end up bunched together. I once put in all 6 TMBG CDs (full length, that is) and hit Random... and the last 8 tracks I heard or so were all Fingertips. It was really weird. The same happens with only Apollo 18 in there. They all get bunched together. I'm just wondering how they'd do it if they were to ever play Fingertips live (I know they've played I'm Having a Heart Attack before...) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 07:30:05 -0400 Subject: Re: Flans Chat << Oh, no KIDDING! It totally bought the farm. Well, those of you in Row 7 totally rocked! We had the best questions... "What's Mono Puff?!" -- This is an ACTUAL quote, my friends!!! duuuuuhh. Yay, Row 7! We rocked! And I even got a question answered! But most of them were downright painful to read. What is Hello? What's with all the dancing in the videos? Aaargghh! Kay, still waiting for Flans to settle the great "Stormy Pinkness" debate ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: clarissa Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:50:40 -0400 (EDT) Clarissa was on Nicalodien (oops spelled that wrong!) yesterday and I saw her poster on her room which I swear is Johhn and John, it's kinda dark and hard to see as it is in the corner, but it looks like Linnell holding an accordian and Flans standing there. Was rather hard to see. Is this the one people are refering to? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 96 07:44:05 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Flans on AOL > Well, I just read the transcript of the little Q & A session, and I must > say I'm glad I wasn't there. It pained me enough to read it after the > fact. But Flans was very nice - I would have told everyone to ask > meaningful questions about Mono Puff, and stop being such idiots. But > that's just me. > Amy :) > I think next time he should do IRC. He would reach more fans and escape the aol atmosphere. ------------------------------ From: MogDulog@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:56:43 -0400 Subject: Re: clarissa No, I think what everyone is referring to is the big "Flood" symbol on her wall. Youth Culture Killed My Dog...(it was so sad...) Mog ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:05:30 -0400 Subject: Re: The infamous Flans Chat Hello 41- I have been reading all the less than happy posts, and one thing rings clear to me. Yes, there are some idiots that don't know much about TMBG or Monopuff. But one of the reasons he may have come on was to reach these people. Most of us probably have the album, or will be getting it shortly, and have lots of TMBG stuff as well. It would be great if we could just sit and ask him questions, but it won't provide much for Mr. Flansburg. If he can reach lots of people and make them fans of TMBG and Monopuff, the better for him. This is why he came on to AOL in the first place, probably. To not just reach the devoted fans who would follow him wherever, but to reach lots of people. This may not have made sense, but I don't a lot. Clarissa: The other poster is dark and with Mr. Linnel with his accordion, and Mr. Flansburg, but I thought he had his guitar. I could be wrong, and I would really like that poster if anyone knows where to get it. TV starts get all the luck, I'll tell ya. Nit ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Bored and Wondering Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:53:51 -0400 When is the official site going to be finished? When are they coming to a venue near me? It is raining, I can't go anywhere. I was actually watching C-SPAN a few minutes ago. Now I'm listening to Flush Hemorrhoid. I think I'm going to go on a hunger strike until the next album comes out..well, maybe not. My Burrito just beeped. BlueDawg -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:12:58 -0400 From: Ira Adler Subject: Flans on AOL Perhaps the worst problem was that Flans (The god that He is) was a really, ridiculously slow typer... ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: They said it couldn't be done. Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:14:42 -0400 (EDT) I just got off the phone with some TMBG/Monopuff promoters. They expressed doubts at our ability to get the new Monopuff single on MTV. Rykodisk is trying to get it on 120 minutes this weekend (anyone know when that's on?). They expressed doubt that we would be able to get the video on the countdown or anything like that. I don't know about you, but I want to prove them wrong. Call 1-800-DIAL-MTV as many times a day as you can. There are 500 people on the list, if every can get in one call a day we'll have a pretty good voice! Also, new Monopuff tour dates, they are up at http://www.tmbg.com/, WITH PHONE NUMBERS. That's right, I got them to give me phone numbers to help point you on your way to tickets. Enjoy. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Flans on AOL Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:14:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Adam P. Fistler: >I think next time he should do IRC. He would reach more fans and >escape the aol atmosphere. Talk about out of the frying pan, into the fire... -CB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:20:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: clarissa There were/are two posters on Clarissa's wall: one black and white of John and John(which I have never seen anywhere else), and the Flood thing that Mog? referred to. I think she may have replaced the Flood poster from years ago with the John and John one. She doesn't have both of them now, does she? *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:36:48 -0400 Subject: Re: They said it couldn't be done. << I just got off the phone with some TMBG/Monopuff promoters. They expressed doubts at our ability to get the new Monopuff single on MTV. Rykodisk is trying to get it on 120 minutes this weekend (anyone know when that's on?). They expressed doubt that we would be able to get the video on the countdown or anything like that. I don't know about you, but I want to prove them wrong. Call 1-800-DIAL-MTV as many times a day as you can >> I have been faithfully calling as often as I can, with absolutely no luck--I suspect that there are only certain times the line is open for requests. Does anyone know for sure? It's pretty stupid, really--they should have a voice mail request system or something, if they're going to take requests at all. 120 Minutes is on Sundays from 12 Midnight to 2 am. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 19:21:52 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Devil EP + OAT I finally picked up the Devile EP today!!! Yippee!!! Anyway, I feel kinda dumb because I could have picked it up a week ago when I walked to the store... It was hidden from view!!! OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): Yesterday I saw Wally Pleasant (Morrisey on Uppers), who, surprisingly many people on this list like, even though he is a local act. Anyway, I walked into the coffee shop, I payed a buck, and he was cool. I'll probably go back next Wednesday... I could have sworn there was more, screw it... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 19:20:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Rabid Child On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 mdukelan@wyoming.com wrote: > Being the called RC for the longest(I think)(not bragging, stating) I've been using RC on chat boards in my area since the pink album came out..but that's not the point here... > also, I know that Matt and I have used this Moniker, but those are the only > two listies I know of who use it...who are >all you guys out there who use > the handle Rabid Child: Something that was fairly obviously about this song just recently > occured to me. The stretches from #17, to #37. That's 20 songs. So I > figure that the 2 johns just made up a short little statement about each > of their fingertips. I've read a few Interpretations about this > song(such as, flipping through the radio.. etc..), and never did I see > this mentioned.. Anyhow, there's my interpretation. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37... Um... that demonstration was just for me, not meant to mock anyone, I just didn't want to make a complete fool of myself... But anyway, your interpretation doesn't exactly work, unless one of the Johns is the six fingered man... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 20:43:29 -0400 Subject: Empty-Vee Request FAQ Trust me, I know what I am talking about... Okay in English... 1.Who do I call? You call Mtv. 2.When I call? 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday. 3.What is the number? 1-800-DIAL-MTV. 4.What do I request? The Devil Went Down to Newport, by Mono Puff. 5.When is 120 minutes on? 12-2am Monday Morning. 6.Will The Mono Puff Video Be on 120 minutes? Yes, Mr. Flansburgh said so during the AOL chat session. I hope this clears everything up... it better... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 01:46:50 +0100 From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Re: revelation On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Paul Swan wrote: >the way i see it, misc T does fit into the pattern, and that's how i knew >superfueledfreaksickle wouldn't come out in 1995. you see... > >1986 pink album >1988 lincoln 1989 Don't Let's Start <---- here ------------------ >1990 flood ! > 1991 misc T ! >1992 apollo 18 ! >1994 john henry ! >1996 ?????? ! > 1997 superfueledfreaksickle ! ! ! Paul has a point here, cuz the "Don't Let's Start" compilation ! (Euro version of Misc T) was released in '89, so it fits in about - Joe ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:32:32 +1100 From: fass256@ariel.macarthur.uws.EDU.AU (joe giunta) Subject: GOODBYE FOR NOW... Just a quick goodbye to you all for a month or two. My EEEEVILLLLL (prononuced with a spitting motion) University computer centre people are killing my link to the world. I will be up and running from home in the near future, and will resubscribe then. Thanks for all the info various people have sent me over the past two months. Until we metaphorically meet again, Keeping a HIGH metabolism rate (all hail Apollo 18!!) ............................. .JOE (from Australia). ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 00:06:37 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Bored and Wondering BlueDawg wrote: > I think I'm going to go on a hunger strike until the next album comes > out..well, maybe not. My Burrito just beeped. Y'know, that stuff will kill you as quick as a bullet. Hey, people, can you quote the movie that that came from?! :) I just got Mono today! :) Speshul order. Ees good, yah?! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 00:10:39 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: They said it couldn't be done. >> They expressed doubt that we would >> be able to get the video on the countdown or anything like that. >> I don't know about you, but I want to prove them wrong. Call >> 1-800-DIAL-MTV as many times a day as you can >> > I suspect that there are only certain times the line is open for requests. > Does anyone know for sure? Yes, you can only call around 5:30ish or so Eastern Time, I believe! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-173 ******************************