Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 174 Saturday, 22 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Flans Chat fingertips Bootleg video + a musical category. Re: They said it couldn't be done. hey-ulp T-SHIRT Re: Fingertips. speaking of cereal TMBG fans on wow? Re: speaking of cereal mail building (none) (none) Re: your mail Video Bootleg (none) Mono Puff Request Thing Whisteling In The Dark MOSTLY CRAP (30pm, Cowtown, Xwindows, etc...) Interpretations Re: speaking of cereal Re: dinner bell Re: Mono Puff Request Thing Re: fingertips mail Fingertips (I'm having a heart attack) Responces LIST CRAP (Re: mail) Re: dinner bell Responces: I've Got Mono! :) DialMTV & Junk Re: Responces Re: DialMTV & Junk Long Post! Concert Experiences (none) Re: Whisteling In The Dark No one knows my song. Reply all at once. Hello '96 Re: Hello '96 Mono Puff Album More monopuff....and 9:30 questions? Acronyms... Re: DialMTV & Junk +UWA Re: TMBG is rap??? Is it just me... Re: I should complain Re: middle names Re: movie Re: Flans Chat Electric Chair More responces (Bundeled for people who cant afford good Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 00:16:33 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Flans Chat > Yay, Row 7! We rocked! And I even got a question answered! But most of > them were downright painful to read. What is Hello? What's with all the > dancing in the videos? Did anyone find out what his favorite cereal is?! It's gotta be Mono Sugar Corn Puffs. :) Here's another shot out to the kewl people in row 7. :) -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 00:19:40 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: fingertips > Really. I don't think I've ever put Apollo 18 on shuffle or > random. Man that's neato. Is that in between every song, or just > bewtween the actual "fingertips" tracks? Anyhow, that basically blows > my thoery.. What do you think the fingertips is supposed to mean? And > thanks info. Well, that's what "random/shuffle" is for. It just plays your tracks in anarchy order or something. But it's cool to hear the snippets even if some get put together. I think someone else said that someone must have an exta finger to go with your theory. I really can't tell you what it means... I have no idea. Anyone?! Bueller...?! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 03:15:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: Bootleg video + a musical category. I just got the bootleg video today, and have already watched it twice. It is great! But as I was watching, John Linnell makes a remark in an interview with Dave Something-or-other, the VJ on 120 minutes in 1990. Dave said something along the lines of: Are you guys trying to be musical heros? To which Linnell replied: No, it's more like gyros. And they picked "Gyro Music" up from that. So there we go, we have a category to put TMBG in, and I'm sure they'll remain unique in there. Just my thoughts :) Amy Greenlese * Spreading the words of _o:[ cowtown@tmbg.org * THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS = O| http://www.onu.edu/~stu1336 * throughout the world! =o_| ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 08:17:24 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: They said it couldn't be done. > I just got off the phone with some TMBG/Monopuff promoters. > They expressed doubts at our ability to get the new Monopuff single > on MTV. Rykodisk is trying to get it on 120 minutes this weekend > (anyone know when that's on?). They expressed doubt that we would > be able to get the video on the countdown or anything like that. > I don't know about you, but I want to prove them wrong. Call > 1-800-DIAL-MTV as many times a day as you can. There are 500 people > on the list, if every can get in one call a day we'll have a pretty > good voice! I say we should try to get it on maybe next Monday or Tuesday, that way people on this list would have had time to read the message and call then. But that doesn't stop you from calling now. > > Also, new Monopuff tour dates, they are up at > http://www.tmbg.com/, WITH PHONE NUMBERS. That's right, > I got them to give me phone numbers to help point you on your > way to tickets. Enjoy. When I bought my ticket for the 9:30 Club show in DC I asked how ticket sales were going, and they said including me 13 tickets total have been sold. (This was a couple of days ago). Does anyone know if this show is doing better since then? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 08:21:54 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: hey-ulp hello, all! well, i was gone for a while and there was a big problemo with the server here, apparently, and my mail got wiped, so i have missed the last week or so of digests. have there been any updates about the t-shirts? please let me know! :D thanks all!! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: T-SHIRT Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 8:35:59 18000 Hello ; whoeer was going to make the t-shirts can feel free to make them with the design now, just steal them off the web. My web page is listed below. Also; Since I designed it, I would like to get one for at least reduced cost............ Mailing List T-Shirts!!!! Get em once they'r made! :) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:38:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Fingertips. On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > > >our cd players... you will hear a "fingertips" snippet bewteen songs! Pretty you know what? i put A18 in my cd player on random the other day, and i heard "i'm having a heart attack" directly followed by "which describes how you're feeling" it was pretty weird. sorry, just had to put in my $0.01 (i'm too poor to afford $0.02) ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: speaking of cereal Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:52:45 -0400 (EDT) > > Yay, Row 7! We rocked! And I even got a question answered! But most of > > them were downright painful to read. What is Hello? What's with all the > > dancing in the videos? > > Did anyone find out what his favorite cereal is?! It's gotta be Mono Sugar Corn > Puffs. :) Here's another shot out to the kewl people in row 7. :) Has anyone ever had the infamous TMBG cereal that supposedly exists? I'd love to try some myself! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:10:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: TMBG fans on wow? hey all. i recently went on wow (unlimited hours!!) with the screen name ana ng. i was hoping this way, i'd find alot of They fans, or convert endless others when they'd ask the inevitable question, "ana, what does your name mean?" anyways, last night i was in music chat, and someone came in asking "anyone here like TMBG?" well, after bouncing up and down for a few seconds (since after 3 weeks not 1 fan was to be found) i screamed "I LOVE TMBG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and this guy (jeff) and i went to my member room Youth culture killed my dog. anyway, then i find out he's only got flood, so i started quoting whistling in the dark, and he had no idea what i was talking about!! =( anyway, then he _tried_ to quote particle man, which was absolutly pathetic (like "particle man, particle man, something something something" no joke!!) which i had to help him through, but then i told him he should listen to flood more often, and he should check out the other albums, so i hope i got through to him. also, anytime i mention TMBG, people are like , "hey, didn't they do that particle man song?" oh well, i get a bit farther every day....... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 11:11:56 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: speaking of cereal > Has anyone ever had the infamous TMBG cereal that supposedly exists? I'd love > to try some myself! TMBG cereal? Where did you hear about this? It sounds pretty cool. I just wana see the box!!!! ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: mail building Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:19:18 -0400 (EDT) I'm going to conduct a mail-building exercise, I shall be leaving for Virginia till Sunday, and I shall let the mail build muahahaha. Ok i've gone mad. bye Matt Hopefully Devil EP will be in today! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:15:01 From: GuavaBoy9@gnn.com (Justin Tittelfitz) I'm new to this list, and this question may have been asked already, but has anyone else noticed that the singer on cowtown has a lisp? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:18:14 From: GuavaBoy9@gnn.com (Justin Tittelfitz) Two more questions I forgot. 1. Does anyone have the tour dates? 2. Why are the DIAL-A-SONG numbers different in Apollo 18 and John Henry? ------------------------------ Subject: Re: your mail Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:47:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Justin Tittelfitz: >1. Does anyone have the tour dates? http://www.tmbg.com >2. Why are the DIAL-A-SONG numbers different in Apollo 18 and John >Henry? The Apollo 18 number is a misprint. See also the They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers): http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html -CB ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:00:01 -0700 From: jefftmbg@ix.netcom.com (Jeff P Gustafson) Subject: Video Bootleg Could someone please send me the address for the video bootleg? I seem to have lost it. Thanks ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:10:21 From: GuavaBoy9@gnn.com (Justin Tittelfitz) I have heard a lot of discussion on the background vocals in DINNERBELL at the beginning of the song, like "I reheat my soup", etc. But about 1:00 into the song, the background vocals are saying something else, which is pretty incoherent. Maybe a different language? I'd appreciate anyone's $.02 worth. /// Justin Tittelfitz \\\ Guava Boy9@aol.com Guava Boy9@gnn.com JoJo638433@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:04:12 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Mono Puff Request Thing OK, there seems to be a disagreement about the time for calling 1-800-DIAL-MTV. One person said 30pm an another said 5:30pm. What 30pm means...my guess is as good as yours. The person who wrote 30pm said "Trust me, I know what I am talking about..." but somehow I can't fathom what 30pm means. Could someone PLEASE clarify this time thing. Thank you all. Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org "It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 13:49:01 PST Subject: Whisteling In The Dark From: x-modem@juno.com (Spencer K Rasko) I'm new here so punch me if I'm covering somthing old ;-) I've been reading the TMBG interpretation archive and I've noticed the interpretation for WITD was a bit off. The truth is WITD was a political statment (I can't rember which campaign it was used in) but its used for polititans that really don't know where they stand on the issues or polititans that stand around doing nothing. Philibustering is a form of Whisteling in The Dark also. ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: MOSTLY CRAP (30pm, Cowtown, Xwindows, etc...) Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:21:55 -0500 (CDT) > 1-800-DIAL-MTV. One person said 30pm an another said 5:30pm. What 30pm > means...my guess is as good as yours. The person who wrote 30pm said > "Trust me, I know what I am talking about..." but somehow I can't fathom > what 30pm means. Could someone PLEASE clarify this time thing. My guess is it's just a typo.... 'bout the Cowtown lisp: Wow... never really noticed before... If you listen reeeealy close to the "and adventure we have spurned, we spurned", there _does_ seem to be a reealy, really slight lisp on the"s"es.... Wow. Just a little bit, though..... And now for a bit of assorted crap, after a week of tweaking and experimenting and throwng heavy objects, I _finally_ got my Linux box w/ Xwindows on it running halfway decently.... I will probably appear on this list as a completely different person in about a week when I get the whole thing somewhat stable (ooooh, how I hate recompiling kernels, etc....) Regardless, that's why I've hardly posted at all lately.... Which makes some of you happy, I'm sure... ;) "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: 21 Jun 1996 15:32:10 EDT Subject: Interpretations X->I've been reading the TMBG interpretation archive and I've noticed the X->interpretation for WITD was a bit off. The truth is WITD was a X->political statment (I can't rember which campaign it was used in) but X->its used for polititans that really don't know where they stand on the X->issues or polititans that stand around doing nothing. Philibustering is X->a form of Whisteling in The Dark also. Not slagging off on you or anything, but an interpretation is how one person sees the meaning of the song. Interpretations cannot be right or wrong, they are mere opinions. I mean, if I heard "Whistling in the Dark" and I somehow got the notion it was about moose on toast or something, that'd be my interpretation. Just my 00.02. Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5578 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:05:28 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: speaking of cereal > > Has anyone ever had the infamous TMBG cereal that supposedly exists? I'd love > > to try some myself! > > TMBG cereal? Where did you hear about this? It sounds pretty cool. > I just wana see the box!!!! Particle Crunch! Frosted Fingertips! Sugar Stomp Box! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:12:12 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: dinner bell Justin Tittelfitz wrote: > > I have heard a lot of discussion on the background vocals in > DINNERBELL at the beginning of the song, like "I reheat my soup", > etc. But about 1:00 into the song, the background vocals are > saying something else, which is pretty incoherent. Maybe a > different language? I'd appreciate anyone's $.02 worth. Which part?! I played the song back and I'm not sure which part you mean. Do you mean the "experimental dog..." part or what?! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:16:40 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Mono Puff Request Thing Ryan Clark wrote: > > OK, there seems to be a disagreement about the time for calling > 1-800-DIAL-MTV. One person said 30pm an another said 5:30pm. What 30pm > means...my guess is as good as yours. The person who wrote 30pm said > "Trust me, I know what I am talking about..." but somehow I can't fathom > what 30pm means. Could someone PLEASE clarify this time thing. It's 5:30pm Eastern. 30pm seems like a typo, but we can interpret it as military time or something, which means that would be... uh, nothing. Forget it. There is no such this as 30pm. Call the durned number. -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:20:07 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: fingertips > Oh.. I thought there were actual fingertips sounds in between each of > the fingtips songs. You know how there are usually a couple seconds or > so before the song actually starts.. I was under the impression it had > fingertip sounds between. Anyhow, thanks. I was flipping through the > songs trying to hear fingertips somewhere.. ;) If you look at the sleeve in Apollo 18, it says, "The indexing of this disc is designed to complement the Shuffle Mode of CD players". Dere ya go. -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:15:05 -0400 Subject: mail Hey guys, can we please try to put messages together instead of posting 10 in one day? It's kind of annoying. Thanks. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:14:29 PST Subject: Fingertips (I'm having a heart attack) From: x-modem@juno.com (Spencer K Rasko) I was listening to Fingertips the other day and rembered somthing. The part of fingertips that states "I'm having a heart attack" reminded me of this old TV ad for Medic Alert. Where this really pathetic actor yells out (At the beging of the add) "I'm having a heart attack" every time I saw that ad I started laughing my head off because it was soo corny. Anyways the other day when I was listening to fingertips I made a connection between the two. Do you think Fingertips might have been affeted by this ad. (By the way this was the same ad campaign that had the I've fallen and I can't get up) Just some food for thought. X-modem To make everyone hold on tighter, just to be kept from thrown to the wolves! http://206.8.125.20/bhs/students/Spence/spencehome.htm X-modem@juno.com X-modem@rocketnet10:218/0.0 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:39:55 PST Subject: Responces From: x-modem@juno.com (Spencer K Rasko) >Sorry, but I can't help it. It's spelled "Filibustering". Thank you. :) Sorry but I'm a lusy smeller! >Do you mean the "experimental dog..." part or what?! You know what really funny I used to think they were saying "experimental drugs" but dog is a lot stranger ;-) Ok guys I have a question what is the Longines Symphonette? I'm clueless! X-modem What's the sense in arguing When you're all alone? http://206.8.125.20/bhs/students/Spence/spencehome.htm X-modem@juno.com X-modem@rocketnet10:218/0.0 ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: LIST CRAP (Re: mail) Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 15:48:02 -0500 (CDT) > Hey guys, can we please try to put messages together instead of posting > 10 in one day? It's kind of annoying. Thanks. I don't know.... If most people are like me, if I don't send something out right away when I think about it, it's lost forever, so whenever I think about something TMBG-related, I just go out and post it first thing to the list.... If I put it all together, I wouldn't end up posting at all... (though some people might not mind that...) Also, if you want to respond to a lot of messages that came in that day, it's gonna end up being seperate anyway.... My advice: just subscribe to the digest. :) Happy day, CJ "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: dinner bell Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 15:49:57 -0500 (EST) >Courtoonie wrote: > Justin Tittelfitz wrote: > > > > about 1:00 into the song, the background vocals are > > saying something else, which is pretty incoherent. Maybe a > > different language? I'd appreciate anyone's $.02 worth. > > Which part?! I played the song back and I'm not sure which part you > mean. Do you mean the "experimental dog..." part or what?! > I suspect that he means the "Shoulder, bicep, elbow, arm" section. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:35:59 PST Subject: Responces: From: x-modem@juno.com (Spencer K Rasko) >I don't know.... If most people are like me, if I don't send something out >right away when I think about it, it's lost forever, so whenever I think >about something TMBG-related Were also limited to our e-mail programs capibility. I use Juno (a free e-mail provider) and there software is a bit odd. There's no easly acessable out box so it hard to combine messages and if you do its a real pain. Another problem with this is that when you send your messages they all get sent at once so theres bound to be some spaming. I try to condence my messages but but there's only so much condencing you can do. So next time you start being annoyed by an exploding mail box realize that the person on the other end of the line might not have the same luxury of limiting there post as everyone else does. >I suspect that he means the "Shoulder, bicep, elbow, arm" section. No kidding that is a pain to understand. It almost sounds like a backward message. X-modem They say love is blind, I don't think you're blind http://206.8.125.20/bhs/students/Spence/spencehome.htm X-modem@juno.com X-modem@rocketnet10:218/0.0 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 17:41:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: I've Got Mono! :) >I just got Mono today! :) Yes! This should be our rallying cry. :) I've had Mono for a week now. :) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: DialMTV & Junk Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:42:03 -0500 Ok, First, I Got John Henry. Just Wanted To Say That. And, oops, i forgot. OK, now the main reason i sent this, 1-800-DIAL-MTV I had tried to call over 350 times (yes, I was counting) untill i found out it was only at 5:30 (4:30 my time) so i called 2 times, then stopped because of 2 reasons number 1: My voice is hard to change... it always sounds the same (like a kid), unless i talk really low or high which sounds generic and unrealistic. 2: The MAIN reson was i got a major headache listening to Idalis yelling HEY! thanks for calling....... ugh... recaptuing the sense of nausea..... HELP! -Wyatt PS: Oh yeah, i think, if we keep trying, we can do it... whenever you are at home, any day,if it is 5:30, just call. EVERYONE. And, just today, i sent out a request for the Video Bootleg, hope to get it soon... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:34:37 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: Responces Spencer K Rasko wrote: > You know what really funny I used to think they were saying "experimental > drugs" but dog is a lot stranger ;-) Well, maybe you don't know what that is a reference to! "Experimental dog, salivating dog, good dog" refers to Pavlov... you know, the wacky doctor dude who tested reflex actions with dogs using a bell. He rang the bell at dinner time for quite a while. After a while, he just rang the bell for the dogs to see their reaction... an' sure 'nuff, they thought it was dinner time!! Voila! And now you know. -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:37:41 -0700 From: courtoonie Subject: Re: DialMTV & Junk Leda Glodell wrote: > PS: Oh yeah, i think, if we keep trying, we can do it... whenever you are > at home, any day,if it is 5:30, just call. EVERYONE. And, just today, i sent > out a request for the Video Bootleg, hope to get it soon... Does anyone know when they cut off the phone lines?! Just so I know the limit. Tank ya. -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 07:16:24 CST Subject: Long Post! Concert Experiences I was wondering if someone could e-mail me any info on how to get the TMBG live in NYC bootleg or the Power of dial-a-song thingy; both of which I'm not sure exist. I'm itchin' for something new by TMBG! Also, if you know of any other great bands, and would like to share your opinion about them, drop me a note. People are mentioning ska. I'm an open minded TMBG fan. What would you suggest? Like I said, I'm itchin' for something new! I was the one who posted the article about the collapsing stage. Here's my take on the situation............ One guy jumped up on the stage and started to polka his ass off-shortly after Flans made his comment. Seconds later the stage was quickly filling up. I was in the front row debating on whether I should go up with my friend. I finally jumped up. Ten seconds later I felt the ground disappear below me. People were falling on top of each other and were pinned between thin pieces of wood. Both Johns were on a part of the stage that survived the collapse, and I remember them looking down into the wreckage shortly after the music stopped. Flans was really sorry and initially shaken up by the whole thing. His sense of humor came back when he saw that no one was seriously hurt. It was weird to see the Johns go from their role as musicians, to a rescue team looking for survivors. I personally couldn't stop laughing. My buddy was pinned under a very large girl. He was laughing too. It's a good thing we jumped up on the stage when we did, cause the front row where we were standing was completely crushed by the front wall of the stage. After things were straightened up, the Johns came back out and preformed a little longer- with a pile of wood now separating them from the crowd. It was the most memorable concert I every went to. Up to that point, I saw TMBG six times already. I grabbed a piece of the stage for a souvenir and went home to watch the news- hoping to see myself or someone I knew. TMBG always keep their cool, even when things don't go smooth. At another concert, John Linnels keyboard wouldn't work. I think water was dripping from the ceiling or something. Anyway, after a long delay, they started up again. Linnel was using some guys keyboard from one of the opening acts. That's two times I got to see the Johns acting like normal, confused, people. I like seeing that side of them. It's the kind of stuff that probably inspires them to write their music. Sorry for the long post. Just thought you'd want a perspective of something you most likely didn't see. If anything weird happened at a show you went to, please post it! Us newsgroup people should have the inside scoop on everything! Mike Cairns ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:14:36 From: GuavaBoy9@gnn.com (Justin Tittelfitz) Does anyone have a copy of the '85 demo tape up for sale? Just a minute ago, I tryed to call dial-a-song. It didn't work. Any ideas? Also when you say to call MTV at 5:30, that's eastern time, isn't it? /// Justin Tittelfitz \\\ Guava Boy9@aol.com Guava Boy9@gnn.com JoJo638433@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 18:07:11 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: Whisteling In The Dark Spencer K Rasko wrote: >I've been reading the TMBG interpretation archive and I've noticed the >interpretation for WITD was a bit off. The truth is WITD was a >political statement (I can't rember which campaign it was used in) but >it's used for politicians that really don't know where they stand on the >issues or politicians that stand around doing nothing. I believe you're thinking of "waffling." Or perhaps "fence-sitting." At some point in the 19th century, the term "mugwump" was coined to refer to a politician who sat figuratively with his "mug" on t'one side of the fence and his "wump" on t'other. And then he wrote: >Filibustering is a form of whistling in the dark also. Filibustering has nothing whatsoever to do with whistling in the dark %or% with waffling. See Jimmy Stewart in %Mr. Smith Goes to Washington% for a rollicking demonstration. Kasey ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: No one knows my song. Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:13:20 -0400 (EDT) I just called my local radio station to request 'The Devil Went Down to Newport', and they had never heard of the song or the band Monopuff. From this experience I have decided we should not only call EmptyV but also start calling your local radio station. Stations have to report what they play, if stations everywhere start playing it other people in the record industry will notice. Make those phones ring! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Reply all at once. Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 18:34:05 -0400 (EDT) It just occured to me the 'reply all at once' people might not know how the digest works. You can subscribe to 'tmbg-digest' rather than 'tmbg-list'. You will get everything posted to the list, but you will get it once a night with all of the previous days messages in one big message in your mail box. If you would like to change to the digest, mail 'majordomo@tmbg.org' with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe tmbg-list subscribe tmbg-digest Enjoy! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: Hello '96 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:22:11 -0500 Howdy. On or about May 10 (or 1.5 months ago), I sent away about 50 bucks for = Hello 96 (and a T-shirt). As I write this on June the 21st, I still = have not recieved a thing. The check hasn't even been cashed yet. Is = it normal to have to wait this long? Just a wondering. Come to think of it, I never got anything out of that information club = advertised on the lyrics, either. -Justin "I wish I got MTV" Smith ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Hello '96 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:26:27 -0400 (EDT) > On or about May 10 (or 1.5 months ago), I sent away about 50 bucks for = > Hello 96 (and a T-shirt). As I write this on June the 21st, I still = > have not recieved a thing. The check hasn't even been cashed yet. Is = > it normal to have to wait this long? Just a wondering. > Come to think of it, I never got anything out of that information club = > advertised on the lyrics, either. For Hello problems (and Hello problems ONLY) mail hello@tmbg.com and they will get you worked out. The information club sent out a newsletter and got 3,000 of them returned to sender. I hope to be getting a way to submit your address on the web for that. Stay tuned. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: Mono Puff Album Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:30:46 -0500 Is there any way to order the Ryko version of Unsupervised from a = catalouge or something? I still haven't recieved my Hello order and the = guy at Sam Goody looked in his computer and said that there is no way = for him to special order either version. I heard most of the single = already, and I MUST GET THAT ALBUM! I have lived in Texas for a year = now and have only met 2 people who have even heard of They Might Be = Giants! -Justin "Save the Bay!" Smith ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:46:47 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: More monopuff....and 9:30 questions? I just got my ticket for MonoPuff on the 27th at the 9:30 club. The person said that only about 2% of the tickets were sold, so it looks like the concert will be pretty bare. Also it may be easy to find other listers their, and hopefully their won't be a moshing problem. Also, since this is my first show at the 9:30 club I was wondering if anyone out their could answer some questions for me, no need to post them to the list you can just mail them to me. First, what is the parking situation like, any close garges or just on the street. Second does anyone have any experince wit taking metro, as I would prefer metro if there is no good parking avalible. Also is there anything else I should really know? TIA -John Murray jmurray@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:51:51 -0400 Subject: Acronyms... Hello K.s I was watching C.E.I.A. today and I was happy when I saw the P. of J.L.&J.F. on her W. If you look carefully in the C. of her R. you will see the P. too. I did not, however, see a P. for F., perhaps that was last S. I'm sure you found this L. cryptic, but don't worry, it wasn't anything important... a spooky M. named I. I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 22:36:24 -0400 Subject: Re: DialMTV & Junk +UWA In a message dated 96-06-21 19:30:28 EDT, toonie@tmbg.org (courtoonie) writes: > Does anyone know when they cut off the phone lines?! Just so I know the limit. > > Tank ya. I am quite sure that the cut off time is 6:00pm (EST) but you can't quote me on this, I'm just saying this because that is when the video countdown ends... I don't why I know so much about Mtv, I'm not even supposed to watch it... UWA (UnWanted Advert): Visit my brand spaning new Ben Folds Five Page, Jackson's Cannery, and find out about this kick ass band, the URL is http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/bf5/ ... and stopping surfing for porn! a spooky man named Ike I wisht that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 22:42:04 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: TMBG is rap??? Quote of Blackhawk while reading this message: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HELLL WAS SHE THINKING??? LOOK AT John Flansburgh and John Linnel. Now look at Babyface and Bone thugs and whatever and Dr. Dre. Besides the distinct color difference what do you see. JOHN AND JOHN ARE GODS!!! I like Coolio. I liked Young MC and Hammer. I liked The Fresh Prince. BUT I WORSHIP TMBG!!!! IF I EVER FIND THIS GIRL I'M GOING TO... sorry. Brother John Blackhawk ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 22:48:20 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Is it just me... I should explain my bitterness. The first day of summer vacation, I get a viral infection that's so bad the doctors thought it was mono. The first night I feel better, I walk to my friend house and get mugged. They took all of my Giants CD's, the Highlander Queen CD, my Foo Fighters CD, and my Alice In Chains CD's amoung other things. Then, I goto work a couple days later and me and my boss get stuck in a creek while looking for grapevine which we never found (he's a crafter). How's all your summers going? Brother John Blackhawk. "Is the world going mad, or has it always been this way and I've just been too wraped up in myself to notice?" Arther Dent ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:06:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: I should complain Does anyone else see that Mike has a little trouble dealing with everyday problems. Mike, open up. Don't hold back. We might be annoying at times, what with stupid strings and mentioning non-TMBG stuff and in my case typing in all CAPS. But we are all friends here. To quote the genie from Aladdin, GROUP HUG!!! Your friend, Brother John Blackhawk ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:12:13 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: middle names I can't be sure what Flansburgh's middle name is, but I'm glad you brought up anagrams. OK EVERYONE, NEW CONTEST. Send your anagrams to me under the subj. CONTEST (in all CAPS). I'll post the best of the best in about a week. Work those lumps of gray matter. BTW- I've always wondered why there are two spellings for gray\grey. What spelling does everyone else use? Brother John Blackhawk ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 00:25:13 -0400 Subject: Re: movie on 6/19/96, Chris Kopenec was known to remark: >I DID BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!! wow. That movie costs like $60. You must be really devoted. ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 00:25:31 -0400 Subject: Re: Flans Chat when asked about his favourite cereal, flans said, "yes!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 23:43:50 PST Subject: Electric Chair From: x-modem@juno.com (Spencer K Rasko) I was listening to "Electric Chair" the other day and I've always noticed a really screwed up part at right at the begining at first I used to think it was some sort of gongorian (SP) chant but that didn't fit so I just put it into my computer. When you play it forward it says somthing about "your mercy" but when you play it backwards it says "ohh your mercy lord". Does anyone know what this is? I havn't seen it mentioned in the FAQ. If anyone wants a wave of this I can UUEncode it and send it to you private mail. This is going to bug me all night long!!!!! X-modem http://206.8.125.20/bhs/students/Spence/spencehome.htm X-modem@juno.com X-modem@rocketnet10:218/0.0 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 00:14:40 PST Subject: More responces (Bundeled for people who cant afford good From: x-modem@juno.com (Spencer K Rasko) >Well, maybe you don't know what that is a reference to! "Experimental dog, >salivating dog, good dog" refers to Pavlov... Yeah I caught the refrence latter but at the time I thought it was drug (Just cause of how wacked the song was) I thought it was a song about drugs thats all (I was verry off ;-) The dog explenation makes a lot more sence though ;-) >Also, if you know of any other great bands, and would like to share your >opinion about them, drop me a note. I'm not a fan but some fans I know are into "Da Yoopers." Personaly I like Wierd Al, Rednex and stuff like that when it comes to anything close to TMBG although it really hard to find anything close to TMBG (IMNHO) >I remember that commercial! It was the funniest thing! Me and my brother used to make >fun of it whenever it came on :) Think thats where they got the idea? :) Well at least I'm not the only person who rembered that comercial (What a concidince I always made fun of it too) Personaly I do think thats where they got the idea, Any buyers? Now all they have to do is make a song out of "I've fallen and I can't get up" >actually, the guy says "I'm having chest pains." In the "I've fallen and I can't get up" ad thats what he said but in another verson of the ad he says "I'm having a heart attack" (That other ad did not have the "I've fallen and I can't get up" in it but it was just as funny ;-) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-174 ******************************