Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-176 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 176 Monday, 24 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Re: My Detachable King Missile Monopuffologue and Shapes That Spiral Video Bootleg Yet another thing They Might Be monopuff tickets Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Stuff RE: Satan Hanging Four. Re: TMBG Unitarians unite!(not too Much on TMBG, skip over?) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Cowtown (chalk on asphalt) RE: Satan Hanging Four. LOngines Symphonette Flans on NYC radio - plea for tape. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:18:04 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Hey people, There's a few things that I hate about some TMBG fans. The first thing is that some people think they know all there is to know and they think they are so cool. Relating to that, the second thing I hate... Because they are so full of their own crap, and coz they think they know soooo much, they get off on correcting people of little mistakes about TMBG. They like to tease the less knowledgeable about their lack of TMBG knowledge. I don't know a hell of a lot about They Might Be Giants. I have been to only one of their concerts... I have 8 of their CDs and two of their shirts... I love TMBG and their stuff to death and want more stuff of theirs... I wanna learn heaps more stuff about their new music and things like that. I don't wanna be looked down upon by other fans and I don't wanna see others being looked down upon. Come on... Let's see a bit more respect given to the seemingly less knowledgeable They Might Be Giants fans and a lot less egocentric behaviour!!! YAY!! WOO!! Hmm... Anyone for Tea and Scones? Cyas, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 11:45:13 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: My Detachable King Missile Monopuffologue and Shapes That Spiral Benjamin Hauck wrote: > > Ben or Been here. > "I woke up this morning with a bad hangover and my penis was missing again. > This happens to me all the time--it's detachable." that's gotta suck! > Now, I had heard on the live Rochester concert tape a live version of > "Spiralling Shape," and I have to admit that from that recording, what I > could hear of it didn't float my battleship. Then, I listened to the > formal recording of it, and I'm surprised kinda that people rank it among > the best TMBG songs! Nothing against them, but I don't see > why--"Spiralling Shape" doesn't have the same jazz-pump-chutzpah as other > classic TMBG numbers *to me*. (Well, then again, I think "Stomp Box" is > *really cool*, and I understand there's a crowd who ranks that amongst the > worst TMBG songs.) _SS_ is ok, but you're right...it's no _Stomp Box_ not just another john ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Video Bootleg Date: Sun, 23 Jun 96 14:31:00 18000 I got my video in the mail the other day, and just finished watching it... apart from the static it was a lot of fun, I saw 3 videos at least that I hadn't seen before (I didn't even know there were videos for Snail Shell or The Guitar). Thanks again Russ for making this! What's up with the 120 minutes song? It's cool that they were consistent with it at least! :) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Mooseician@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 14:50:48 -0400 Subject: Yet another thing They Might Be so the latest They Might Be... rumor in my neck of the woods is that They Might Be Unitarians. Unitarianism was once aptly described by a friend of mine as "the only cool organized religion" besides which I am one myself, so can anyone verify this? moose. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Jun 96 14:51:37 From: Steve Kiehl <3SWKIEHL@sclct.com> Subject: monopuff tickets howdy Does anyone know where i can purchase tickets to the monopuff DC show at the 9:30, besides the 9:30 club? I know protix is the service, but where can I get these? Thanks. Pete Yaeger. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 15:07:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Tim Baby wrote: > There's a few things that I hate about some TMBG fans. The first > thing is that some people think they know all there is to know and they > think they are so cool. why are you making your resoning applicable to only TMBG fans? There are people like that in all walks of life, and i find that TMBG are among the least bullheaded, egotisical "joe cool" kinda i've encountered. of course, i could be just lucky. ;) > Relating to that, the second thing I hate... Because they are so full of > their own crap, and coz they think they know soooo much, they get off on > correcting people of little mistakes about TMBG. alright, this is what bugs _me_, it's when people claim to be HUGE fans, and claim to know everything about the band, but then you find out that they don't know anything. i've never claimed to be a They expert, but i really hate it when people say they are experts, but don't know anything. don't say you're a rocket scientist if you can't back it up. remember what happened to george in that episode of seinfeld when he told his girlfriend he was a marine biologist?? that's what i was talking about( in an earlier post). i run into people that claim to be They experts, but don't know that there's more TMBG songs than particle man. i've never put down someone who didn't know much about They, because i was way too happy learning that i wasn't the only one that loved this band. the only thing i would do, is try to steer them towards checking out the other albums, going to shows, etc. again, maybe this is just me. i've never claimed to be an expert, and i wouldn't dare to, but i really love this band and it pisses me off to see people jumping on the particle man bandwagon with blinders on, only giving They credit for a catchy song. and when those people have the audacity to claim to be, TMBG experts, i wanna scream. i don't wanna sound whiny, but your post really hit a nerve, since you are doing the same thing you complain about, looking down on a TMBG fan. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 15:54:24 -0400 From: schiapp Organization: swc Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 all of this discussion about who's an expert on THEY and who's not, or whom looks down on whom is irrelevant. does anyone really care who has what t-shirts or who knows what TMBG fun facts? sure, they nice to discuss on e-mailing lists, but its dumb to get in fights over them. i'm only 15, and i have only 4 cds and only one shirt and i've been only one TMBG show, but that doesn't mean i'm not allowed love this band as much as someone else. i guess all i'm trying to let's not come to blows on this, okay? anthony ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Date: 23 Jun 1996 21:03:29 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Just one question: You own eight They Might Be Giants albums? I don't own nearly as much tmbg stuff as I should, but I can't even think of eight different albums. Let's see... The pink one (debut), Apollo 18, Lincoln, Flood, Miscellaneous T, John Henry... That's where I draw a blank. What am I missing here? Please let me know, as this is bothering me. Thank you ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 17:07:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) writes: > Let's see... The pink one (debut), Apollo 18, Lincoln, Flood, Miscellaneous > T, John Henry... That's where I draw a blank. What am I missing here? > Please let me know, as this is bothering me. i think he meant 8 TMBG CDs, not albums. I own at least fifteen TMBG CDs and don't even have Lincoln on CD yet (still on tape). I have five of the albums on CD, three promo CD singles, seven normal CD singles.. in addition to all the random TMBG tapes I have.. ..still don't have Mono Puff, either. hmmmm. btw, on the experts/whatever thread.. some of us happen to like knowing lots of trivia about lots of bands. i try my best to never go "oh, i'm an expert, i know all about TMBG", because I obviously don't, but it's pretty annoying when people post here who know near nothing about TMBG and ask stupid questions or assert the same thing that's already been posted ten billion times by every other person who shows up here and thinks "Oh my god, I'm so brilliant because I learned how to play tapes backward, and I'm only 14" or whatever. I'm really beginning to think a tmbg-info list would be a good thing.. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ the opinions and attitudes expressed above are mine alone and have nothing to do with carnegie mellon. don't bother flaming me, 'cause I don't care. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 23 Jun 96 17:18:53 -0400 Subject: Stuff He said he owned 8 TMBG CD'S not albums...prob. some singles... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jun 96 00:51:31 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: Satan Hanging Four. I was under the impression he said: "He couldn't compete \ Because he was hindered by his clumsy feet." (or something to that effect) Am I wrong? wait I just heard it again, I don't think it said "clumsy" but something close ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org on behalf of BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Sent: Saturday, June 22, 1996 1:33 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Satan Hanging Four. Hey all, listen to the next line: "He couldn't compete\ Because of his Hoofed feet". ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:12:01 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG Unitarians unite!(not too Much on TMBG, skip over?) I'm sorry this isn't very TMBG related but it could be, but maybe it's not, but... well, you get the idea. Please don't flame me. I'll just give you my knowledge on the religion of Unitarianism, as I am one. The Unitarians basically try to help everyone in their "community" to help them form their own decisions about (Kiss Me Son Of -) God and other such related stuff. The thing that I think is so great about Unitarianism is the wonderful support you can get for whatever you believe (kinda like TMBG interps, you think?). I'm not trying to push this religion, because that's a very personal thing, I just wanted to send a little knowledge. Again, please don't flame me. Or if you really have to, don't send the flame to the whole list, just to me. Love you all, really, Llama grrl ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:41:02 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 >You own eight They Might Be Giants albums? >I don't own nearly as much tmbg stuff as I should, but I can't even think of >eight different albums. >Let's see... The pink one (debut), Apollo 18, Lincoln, Flood, Miscellaneous >T, John Henry... That's where I draw a blank. What am I missing here? >Please let me know, as this is bothering me. He might own some of the EP's (singles, whatever you want to call them). :) tucker ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 22:41:36 -0400 From: Cases Subject: Cowtown (chalk on asphalt) Hi all! Today my little sister and I created Cowtown with chalk on our driveway. "Cowtown" is my sister's favorite TMBG song. We drew a gigantic cow in the center, drew some waves above it and added little signs and various cartoony animals quoting the lyrics from the song. We were quite bored. But it was fun and now we have Cowtown on our driveway (at least until it rains)! Juli- who really does have a life (I promise) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:51:18 -0500 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: RE: Satan Hanging Four. >I was under the impression he said: >"He couldn't compete \ Because he was hindered by his clumsy feet." > >(or something to that effect) Am I wrong? > "Satan had a problem/He could not compete/Satan was hindered/by his cloven feet." Directly from the CD. It's very clear on the Totaly Remade version on the EP. Listen closely. -Jim ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: LOngines Symphonette Date: Sun, 23 Jun 96 23:17:26 EDT Re: What is the Longines Symphonette? The Longines Symphonette were albums of "light" classical fare. ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 01:13:49 -0400 Subject: Flans on NYC radio - plea for tape. Greetings. Due to reception, er, Distant Antenna, problems, I couldn't record the Flansburgh interview that was on the radio this evening in NYC and outlying areas. I listened to it on my walkman, and I heard something that I desperately want a copy of ASAP. Towards the end of the show, the TMBG version of Cub's "New York City" was played. I love Cub. I love the song. I sing the song to myself all the time. Supposedly, the TMBG version is going to be on the new album, but, honestly, I can't wait that long. I apologize. I'm obsessing. So, if anyone has a tape of the program, or more specifically, of the TMBG version of "New York City" I beg of you, please e-mail me, and hopefully we can work out a deal. Thank you for reading. I am going to go dance around my apartment a bit more now. "'Cause everyone's your friend in New York City..." --Brooks ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 02:26:24 -0400 From: Bill Laird Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-174 Hello, everyone. This is the first time I've written to the list, although, I've been reading for at least a month, now. Many of you probably know me from "blacknet" (the talker, ya know). Anyway, I've got a complaint. Not for you, dear friends. I have nothing against, you. My gripe is with MTV. I just got done watching 120 minutes 15-20 minutes ago, and no Monopuff was to be seen. I missed my favourite radio show to see it. I have to be up EARLY tomorrow, but I WANTED TO SEE "The Devil Went Down to Newport," but was any forthcoming? Hell no! Further injuctices on the topic of Monopuff- I've been to four music stores trying to find The Devil EP (I already have Unsupervised- John Flansburgh himself gave me a pre-release- but THAT is another story). Not one has even HEARD of Monopuff. Not ONE. I even went to a store that carries BOOTLEGS and stuff- no Monopuff. What the heck is this? I have realized something: The Mainstream would NEVER accept something like TMBG or Monopuff (Say what you like, TMBG is STILL termed "a college band") Good luck finding Mono in any of your stores, good luck finding TMBG singles. It's hard, but we are devout. We shall prevail. Another thing: Transformers the Movie is the pinnacle of American animation (This isn't up for debate), and yet, it's now Out-of-print. Crappy movies from the 50's and 60's are STILL in print, but Transformers ISN'T. WHY???? I bought a copy of it right before it went out of print and my idiot best friend LOST it. That's a piece of my childhood, man, and I'll never see it again. Sorry for the tangent. Sensurround@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-176 ******************************