Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-178 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 178 Wednesday, 26 June 1996 Today's Topics: Pointfest? Re: Pointfest? Buttknob: the movie (and you thought it was dead!) tmbg cereal Re: TMBG+schoolhouse rock Re: Religion on this list Flans's Middle Name true fans? WDHYF Re: WDHYF RE: tmbg know it all's Re: tmbg know it all's Maybe a new view on Their popularity Re: tmbg know it all's TMBG friends theme? Their popularity, etc MonoPuffiness!!! Mission Statement Re: RE: tmbg know it all's There's a song called "Electric Chair"? And what about Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Pointfest? Date: 25 Jun 1996 05:26:14 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine A little birdie told me that They Might Be Giants is playing at something called Pointfest in St. Louis, Missouri. But they didn't know anything else. I also don't know how reliable this little birdie is, 'cause to be honest, he just posted something about it in a music conference, so I know nothing about him. So, if you live in St. Louis, find out about it, 'cause there might be hope! P.S. BTW, I should have thought about that 8 cds thing. I forgot about EPs. But I was wondering. What's the advantage of EPs if the songs on the album (like "The Devil Went Down...")? Do all EPs have other songs not on the album? Just wonderin... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 06:47:40 -0500 (CDT) From: Braaaaad Subject: Re: Pointfest? I happen to live in St. Louis and I've heard the same thing from a couple of sources. But there has been no official announcement made yet. TMBG played LAST year at PointFest IV in the middle of August. They also made an appearance at PointFest I and II. (PointFest II was the first show of the John Henry World tour and PointFest IV was the second-to-last show of the JH tour.) TheyMBG weren't at the last PointFest about a month ago (No. V) so they should be due to make another appearance. If they do, it's almost guaranteed that they'll do a show the night before at a local nightclub - they usually do. Sorry I don't have more information. ////> ____________ c-oo -BRAd \ - On 25 Jun 1996, Chris Moesel wrote: > A little birdie told me that They Might Be Giants is playing at something > called Pointfest in St. Louis, Missouri. But they didn't know anything else. > I also don't know how reliable this little birdie is, 'cause to be honest, > he just posted something about it in a music conference, so I know nothing > about him. So, if you live in St. Louis, find out about it, 'cause there > might be hope! > > P.S. BTW, I should have thought about that 8 cds thing. I forgot about EPs. > But I was wondering. What's the advantage of EPs if the songs on the album > (like "The Devil Went Down...")? Do all EPs have other songs not on the > album? Just wonderin... > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 08:05:32 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Buttknob: the movie (and you thought it was dead!) hello tmbg fans! i've been away for a short time... but i haven't forgotten the friends of buttknob... if you hate this please flame me (I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but do it to me personally!!! don't bug the list! as promised the top ten they might be giants/buttknob songs!!! 1. Buttknob With Teeth 2. Your Racist Buttknob 3. The Famous Buttknob 4. Someone Keeps Moving My Buttknob 5. Why Does the Buttknob Shine? 6. Buttknob in Your Soul 7. The Buttknob Got Me High 8. 32 Buttknobs 9. Lie Still Little Buttknob 10.A Self Called Buttknob i especially loved all the fingertips/buttknob interps i got! some were seriously funny! this message does have tmbg content and some of us have a sense of humour this is a good thing! special thanks to: andrew mcaninch cowtown charles box cyborg david olson drayco groove child!!!! josh hall-bachner!!!! little woman from another place robert grabill jr. tim clark tom hare you guys gave me the best material!!! and last but not least... THE RAZZIES!!!!!!!!! a BIG razzzzzzzberry to the following people: bluedawg frankenberry ray grabeel no. 10 can of steam smile people...life is too short to waste time frowning! not just another john ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: tmbg cereal Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:04:20 -0400 (EDT) > > < to try some myself!>> > > Matt, is this the John Henry coffee beans with milk poured over them?! Yummy! Hehe no Vix, this is old, I think from the 80s or maybe early 90s. It's been so long that I can barely remember it. Unfortunately, I have never seen this cereal, they probably only sold it in Brooklyn through the club or something. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:13:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG+schoolhouse rock I have a number of friends that use TMBG songs as study aids... :) One is an art history major and uses Meet James Ensor to get herself in that studyin' mood, and her friend found James K. Polk quite beneficial. And, I managed to get a friend to listen to TMBG by having her listen to Mammal because she's a biology major (my friend Jocelyn and I made up some interpretive dances to study for biology...it works wonders, I swear :) Now if only they'd write a nice little ditty dealing with, say, Thomas More's Utopia, I'd be all set for studying for my summer class I'm taking. :) Anyway....I'm off to that class right now, yes I am. Later, kids! --Tara hehehe....somebody wrote "Satan lives in an Apple Power Mac" on the dry-erase board in this computer lab. Just thought I'd share. :) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:39:02 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Re: Religion on this list >So we're not allowed to discuss "Kiss Me, Son of God", "James >K. Polk", or "Particle Man" anymore? Particle Man? What does that have to do with religion...is it just me or is it about a particle man who gets in a fight with triangle man (who wins) and then it talks about universe man and person man...what does this have to do with religion may I ask???? Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net, rclark@tmbg.org "It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." ______________________________________________________________________________ Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by subscribing to the "EvangeList" listserver! Send email to: or go to: . ____________________________________________________________________________ __ ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Flans's Middle Name Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:51:09 -0400 The definitive answer, from the keeper of the Early Years FAQ, Myke, is *CONANT* -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:25:02 -0400 From: jtt@magicnet.net (JOHN T THOMPSON) Subject: true fans? Hey, this may be my first time posting. I'd just like to know what exactly the definition of a fan is. I love TMBG, but I have never gotten my hands on anything except the albums and WDTSS. I've also never been to a concert. I don't have a TMBG shirt (cause I have no money) or any other paraphanelia (sp?). But I LOVE Them, and I say I'm a fan. Any body got a problem w/that? Because if I'm the kind of person that anyone is criticizing, then they definitely DO need to calm down and cut back a little on the flaming. If not, SORRY. Just felt like finally posting something. If anyone knows, can I just ask a store to order any cd-singles, or do I need to go through the information club? 'Cause I haven't gotten anything from them since December (or some other month quite a while ago). Thanks for your time/patience, Dan Thompson (jtt@magicnet.net) oh, I also have an autographed TMBG picture. Does that make me a better fan? ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: WDHYF Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 19:42:34 18000 I would like to ask a question about the demo version of Which describes how you're feeling. And it's not the one you'd expect. I know what it says in the backwards part (For those at home, it's: "They Might Be Giants wanted to include a verse about the suffering people of the world, but we couldn't figure out where to put it into the song.") My question is this: How did they manage to record it so that is sounds more natural played backwards (as it is on the tape) than when you reverse it (so that it can be understood) ?? When you listen to it with the words going forwards, the voices sound distorted, and when you listen to it with words backwards it sounds like noises one could make... I used to think it was jumbled words before I found out it was backwards. "noooo some breezes when empire in the feel of flowers" "garble grable end now she knows its W" Or something along those lines -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: WDHYF Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:50:25 -0500 (CDT) > My question is this: How did they manage to record it so that > is sounds more natural played backwards (as it is on the tape) than > when you reverse it (so that it can be understood) ?? 1) Perhaps it's because when you're listening to the song forwards [1], it doesn't make any immediate sense to your brain, so your brain compensates by making it "sound" more like ordinary background words to you. When the song is played backwards [2], your brain is forced to recognize the fact that there's words in there, so you don't have any choice but to hear the more distorted, wierd lyrics They've stuck in backwards. But, that's kind of stretching, so 2) Maybe They're just good like that. -CJ [1] ie: The message reversed [2] ie: The message forwards "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"~~"`"`"<<>>~""~~~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 02:55:50 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: RE: tmbg know it all's Sometimes I wonder about this, sometimes I shudder. Call me selfish, but I like the Anonymity (is this an actual word?) of the band. You sing songs out loud and no one knows, what the heck your singing. If TMBG were ever to go truly BIG, I'd be afraid they'd get chewed up and spit aside. It wouldn't have that same feel if everybody could walk down the street and sing Whistling in the Dark. With the whole world population of music critics staring down at TMBG, they would feel a lot more pressure and scrutiny from their audience, possibly even changing them, like what has happened to many others. And you thing the moshing problem is big now! I wonder what the John's think about it. Does anybody know what I'm trying to say? Feel free to disagree ASB ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org on behalf of Tim Babbel Sent: Monday, June 24, 1996 7:38 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg know it all's I see more and more people wearing TMBG apparel, who haven't even heard one-tenth of their total compialation, and yet, I look at it this way, these people are doing what TMBG needs the most, ADVERTISING!!! This has been mentioned before, that TMBG is considered to be a college band, they need exposure people!! A diamond in the rough band such as this one needs all the help it can get to get noticed! tbabbel@ix.netcom.com ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: tmbg know it all's Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 22:27:32 -0500 (CDT) >Sometimes I wonder about this, sometimes I shudder. Call me selfish, but I >like the Anonymity (is this an actual word?) of the band. You sing songs out (((etc...))) >have that same feel if everybody could walk down the street and sing Whistling >in the Dark. With the whole world population of music critics staring down at (((etc...))) >thing the moshing problem is big now! I wonder what the John's think about >it. Does anybody know what I'm trying to say? Yes! Absolutely! I've always enjoyed that myself. I've always had sooo much fun with a friend or two walking down a street or into a mall or something like that singing TMBG lyrics as loud as we could and having everyone else look at us and say "look at those freaks" and then we'd bow with practiced eloquence [1] to them and then shoot them an evil look and say "yes, how did you know?" and not turning away until they got really scared and left. Well, no. That's a rather extreme example which doesn't really happen to much in that entirety. But the basic premise I completely agree with. That's been one of the pillars of my mainstream argument I had a while ago... As TMBG's audience continues to grow, it means one of two things: 1) People are getting smarter. 2) TMBG's musical styles are starting to conform to people's expectations of "good music" Okay, let's look at the possibilities. 1: No. I don't think so. I mean, yeah, there's some closet freaks out there who'll end up finding TMBG and living a fulfilled life, but that's not true for most people 2: In my mind, that's the largest indicator of what I was saying before. I mean, by the very definition of mainstream, the larger an audience any band has, the more mainstream they are. Sorry to resurrect an old battle, but the possibility of someone on the list actually possibly maybe perhaps agreeing with me on this point was too good to pass up. ;) Good day to all, and to all a good lunch. -CJ, who's laughing now because he needs to get more sleep, probably. [1] Is that the right word? It seems wrong... Elegance... [2] That's more to the point... [2] How the heck do you spell that one? Seems wrong..... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"~~"`"`"<<>>~""~~~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 23:50:42 -0400 Subject: Maybe a new view on Their popularity Hello 41- The way I see it (BackAssWards I know...) is all I want is for TMBG to be happy and to continue making lots of music. If they want to be popular, then fine, if not, fine. Someone once said that the long improv ending at the end of Spy done live is getting rather tiresome. What I had to say was that if it were me doing show after show after show, the spy ending would probably be one of the most enjoyable parts of the show. Imagine yourself up on stage, counting out beats for the band to do, or for the crowd to say. I'd enjoy it. As to what They want, I would have to say, they want to be known, but in their own realm. That's why They didn't do the Friends theme song, and why they did do the Edison Musuem. I'm just a nit, I'm only a nit. I spent a couple days of here on Capitol...you know Nit ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 22:51:43 -0500 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: tmbg know it all's >Yes! Absolutely! I've always enjoyed that myself. I've always had sooo much >fun with a friend or two walking down a street or into a mall or something >like that singing TMBG lyrics as loud as we could and having everyone >else look at us and say "look at those freaks" and then we'd bow with practiced >eloquence [1] to them and then shoot them an evil look and say "yes, how did >you know?" and not turning away until they got really scared and left. >Well, no. That's a rather extreme example which doesn't really happen to >much in that entirety. On occaision. Like when I come up to visit you and stuff. Well, maybe not quite that extreme, but driving around in circles in the parking lot waiting for my tape to rewind so we could listen to the Theme from Flood might come under that heading. :P (yes, I'm a freak, how did you know?) >2: In my mind, that's the largest indicator of what I was saying before. I > mean, by the very definition of mainstream, the larger an audience any > band has, the more mainstream they are. Well, I suppose. Take a look at what alternative music has turned into. Q101 (radio station out of Chicago) advertises itself as an 'alternative' station. Then they play Pearl Jam, or Metalica, or Soundgarden, ect.ect. Alternative music simply doesn't fit it's own definition anymore. But I hardly think TMBG could be considered mainstream by any means.Not at all. Never, no way. by your own definition, mainstream essentially means a large audience and that is something that They don't have. (compared to other 'mainstream' bands that is). when they start playing Son of God every hour on the radio, then we can call TMBG mainstream. >-CJ, who's laughing now because he needs to get more sleep, probably. Undoubtedly. I think I should also. >[1] Is that the right word? It seems wrong... Elegance... [2] That's more to > the point... Sure. >[2] How the heck do you spell that one? Seems wrong..... No, you got it right. Sorry for the long post people, but I don't post nearly enough as it is. -Jim ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 00:15:12 -0400 Subject: TMBG friends theme? TMBG was asked to do the theme song for friends? I didn't know this...that would have been interesting if they did because TONS more radio stations would have played them...and EVERYONE would haev heard of They. So I am glad they didn't. I also like the idea of TMBG being little known. I mean when you talk to someone about music, or better yet 10 people at once, and you go "Hey anyone ever heard of TMBG?", and everyone goes who!? But one guy goes "YEAH! TMBG RULE!", thatS COOL. I mean do you ever see people go up and say HEY! Have you ever heard of Nirvana?! and then the guy goes YEAH! and then they're like OH YEAH AWESOME etc. etc. NO! bands like that people say do you like them, not have you heard of them. Anyway... --Tim I have no sig. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 00:49:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Their popularity, etc First of all, I don't think their popularity has much to do with their change in musical style (ie selling out or whatnot). Take a look at the lyrics and music, etc. What they do is still as 'weird' and hard to defend as ever. You cannot* say that they will ever really become mainstream with lyrics like they have. Most people don't understand them, and if a song were ever to get popular, it would have to just be really catchy (ie Birdhouse), and people would probably ignore the lyrics. I think a much more likely explanation for their increasing popularity is that they are good and have been around for awhile. Now, if their fans like them alot, they try to get other people to like them (moreso that most fans of other bands, I believe). This creates more fans, who try to get more people to listen, etc. Hence, increasing popularity. I doubt it's due to some mainstream conspiracy or devilish plan by TMBG. But, we're all entitled to our own opinions, which may be based on as much or as little thought as we feel like putting into them. Second. I wouldn't really mind if TMBG got big. It is not much fun knowing only one person in the cleveland area that is a semi-big they fan. This is not cool. Just because more people knew the band would not make the band any worse. If they changed in some way to make more people like them, that would make them worse, but that's the only way it could be worse. Perhaps you're+ feeling elitist and arrogant and don't want other people (who surely must be stupid) listening the Them, because the extra money going to tmbg would somehow debase your+ enjoyment of their music. Don't ask me how you+ made that connection, but somehow you+ did. I personally want as many people as possible to experience the joy of listening to tmbg (if they want to). I don't care how many people that is, as long as it doesn't adversely affect anything. There, "I done said my piece." * Cannot is used here to mean 'it is not likely that you will decide to,' rather than the more common 'it is impossible that you will decide to.' + This 'you' is _completely_ non-specific. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 00:55:33 +0000 From: David Olson Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: MonoPuffiness!!! Hey! Just got back from the MonoPuff show here in Boston, MA. Need I say it was totally rockin'? Pro'lly not... Played a new song they wrote _yesterday_ 'Felt-Tipped Pen' it was a cool song - really quite dancy & rythmic (in my taste...) The crowd was pretty well-sized - I'm no good w/ counting heads, so don't bother to ask me for numerical estimates. A guy named Spencer was picked from the crowd to do the Elina voice-bit from Antenna - kinda grunge-like, but his heart was really into it & John seemed really pleased... That's about it - gotta sleep... David -- ----\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /---- ---\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /--- -----/ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/------ * trixter@pop1.channel1.com * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 01:13:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Mission Statement Whilst studying for my english final, I came upon this passage in Wordsworth's _Preface to Lyrical Ballads_. Instead of saying 'We're not really weird,' I think tmbg should just put this in a press release or hand it out before interviews or something. I think it sums up their attitude towards songwriting better than anything I've seen, but, of course, that's just my opinion (humble or otherwise). Of course, parts of it don't exactly apply, and it's a little too Romantic to apply to tmbg, but check it out nonetheless: "The principal object, then, which I proposed to myself in these poems was to choose incidents and situations from common life and to relate or describe them, throughout, as far as was possible, in a selection of language really used by men; and, at the same time, to throw over them a certain colouring of imagination, whereby ordinary things should be presented to the mind in an unusual way; and, further, and above all, to make these incidents and situations interesting by tracing in them, truly though not ostentatiously, the primary laws of our nature: chiefly, as far as regards the manner in which we associate ideas in a state of excitement... Accordingly, such a language, arising out of repeated experience and regular feelings, is a more permanent, and a far more philosophical language, than that which is frequently substituted for it by poets, who think that they are conferring honour upon themselves and their art, in proportion as they separate themselves from the sympathies of men, and indulge in arbitrary and capricious habits of expression, in order to furnish food for fickle tastes, and fickle appetites." RS ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 01:27:35 -0400 Subject: Re: RE: tmbg know it all's > Call me selfish, but I like the Anonymity (is this an actual word?) of the band. >You sing songs out loud and no one knows, what the heck your singing. If >TMBG were ever to go truly BIG, I'd be afraid they'd get chewed up and spit >aside. It wouldn't have that same feel if everybody could walk down the street >and sing Whistling in the Dark. Hey ASB, I totally know how you feel. I like knowing bands that no one else knows. When I say names like Grant Lee Buffalo, Vigilantes of Love, John Wesley Harding, The Farm, Pale Divine, etc. it's kind of nice to have people go, "Huh?". It's also nice to find people that like the same bands, because they are few and far between. That's what makes the experience so cool! I do like more mainstream bands (DMB, FJB, Toad the Wet Sproket, etc), but everybody knows about them--so what's the fun in that? I like going into a used CD store with a friend, finding a rare CD and buying it, then having the friend say, "who's that? Never heard of them." I know that bands strive for a bigger audience, but I would rather that they stay small. It's harder to find out when they come in concert (since it's not all over the radio), but a better show because you get closer to the performer. Just my thoughts. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 00:46:40 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: There's a song called "Electric Chair"? And what about First of all, whoever it was who mentioned a song called "Electric Chair"... ...please get a clue, it's called "Hearing Aid." Read your liner notes. Luckily, I thought for a minute about the lyrics, knew it was on Flood, and deduced the *real* song title from there. And anyway, good point about the backwards message...that's one that has never been pointed out to me. On the LoFi Experience tape, there are a few backwards messages, but not that one. Okay, one new thread too. I was listening to Flood in the car the other day, and was listening intently to all of the lyrics. I got to Twisting, and I can't help but think that the line "Slowly Twisting in the Wind" is a reference to a mental picture I made while reading Dante's Inferno, the part as he's just descending into hell and sees that couple who are swirling around in the hot winds of hell. And the interp at the Unofficial TMBG page mentions something about "a girl who breaks up with her boyfreind and...she wouldn't particularly mind seeing him dead." Maybe? I also thought for a minute that "Lie Still, Little Bottle" was about a game of Spin-The-Bottle, until I realized that he was just so drunk that he couldn't get the bottle to sit still. Anyway... andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-178 ******************************