Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 18 Thursday, 18 January 1996 Today's Topics: the 9:30 club... Anyone else planning to be at New Haven? Bleh. religion Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server: tgmbg.org: non-recoverable error) (fwd) (none) help!!! I'm new how 'bout you One last time! They Might Be Giants Re: help!!! Cartoon Planet, was Re: MST3K help!!! Re: birdcages and neuro Re: ID Graham Maby is TmBG new bassist... forgot some things Re: Anyone else planning to be at New Haven? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: promans@sloth.loyola.edu (Phil Romans) Subject: the 9:30 club... Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:41:10 -0500 (EST) Howdy all, Tonight 4 of us from Loyola College are traveling to Washington DC to see them again. Does anyone know if there is an opening band? And if there is, what the heck is it? On another note, I am looking for more live TMBG stuff. I have a list of avaible concert material on my home page for the looking. Also avaible by mail. -=phil -- ._________________________________________________________________. I |promans@sloth.loyola.edu | http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans | W | U2-They Might Be Giants-Pink Floyd-Rush | G | looking for any 'live' material of these bands | B | Magic: The Addiction | T \-----------------------------------------------------------------/ P -=If a word in the dictionary was mispelled, how would we know?=- ! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:19:54 EST From: "Kelly, Neil P" Subject: Anyone else planning to be at New Haven? Well, friends, if anyone else is planning to be at Toad's Place Thursday night,look for me, if you desire. I'll be wearing a KLF t-shirt (white on black, with the word TRANCENTRAL and two speakers stacked in a 'T' shape on the back). Say howdy, you know, stuff like that. Or you could see me and run screaming into the streets. -neil, who can't remember if he has a .sig for this account but will find out soon enough. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:44:14 +0700 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Bleh. ................................................................................ Hello, Someone said that their SenSurround song was unlike any of their other songs. I agree, but I think that each of their songs is completely different from any other. I mean, they've done polka (The Famous Polka), country western (Unrelated Thing), experimental (Fingertips), Heavy Metal (Dig My Grave), holiday music (Christmas Cards), theme songs (Theme From Flood), noir (Spy), instrumental (Lady Is a Tramp), informative (James K. Polk), cover songs (Istanbul), and while some of these genres sometimes overlap in TMBG songs, they each prove that TMBG push the bariers on all of their albums and stuff. Also, I remembered today that I have another TMBG TV appearance, sort-of. I have about a minute and a hlf of Martha Quinn talking about the Istanbul video from MTV a bunch of years ago. Then she introduces the video. It's the only copy of that video I can find, since it's not available, (to my knowledge), in the U.S. She talks about the director, Drew Takahashi, who created Liquid Television a couple of years after that. I don't know if it counts as a TMBG TV thing, but I think it's archieval. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: religion Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:38:51 -0500 (EST) > > > > On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > > > > > Hey I heard some rumors about what religion They Might Be Giants are part > > of. odes any one have any furthor information? > > > OH, wow, this is the topic you guys were on when I first subscribed to > the list. Does that mean we've gone full cycle and I can quit now? :) Hehe, if this thread goes on too long I think I'd even consider quiting. Besides being one of the most stupid threads around, it's usually useless and ends up in some kind of shouting match (i.e. it doesn't matter what their religion is blah blah blah blah blah blah). This list is more for their music not their religious beliefs, SHEEZ. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server: tgmbg.org: non-recoverable error) (fwd) Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:50:36 -0500 (EST) > > > > I have been looking everywhere for TMBG T-Shirts. Does > > anybody know where I can get some? The only way I know how to get > > them are by going to one of their concerts, and since they aren't > > touring, I'm stuck. > Ahh but they are touring! In fact they are playing in DC tonight at the new > 9:30 club. Maybe I will see you at the concert this evening, hopefuly I'll be > wearing the New Years shirt with the drunk bird on the front that I got at the > Trocadero show. And hopefully they will play James K. Polk again!!! > > About the MMPR soundtrack, sure they probably did it for money but knowing how wacky > they are and how they will just do weird things they may have actually wanted to be > on this soundtrack for God-(and the Johns)-only-know-what-reason for. > Matt > > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp > Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 11:25:00 PST who ever was asking about the word "id".... it is a word used in phycology. It means imagination. brensink@bhs3.wednet.edu ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: help!!! Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 11:25:00 PST hey lately I have hearda few songs by TMBG that are not on albums taht I know of. Marion speaks, stormy pinkness. We go nuts at x-mas time. does any one know where copies can be found? I am also interested in slightly less than legal TMBG cd's. any suggestions? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 14:56:07 -0500 (EST) From: Joseph A Oettinger Subject: I'm new how 'bout you Hello hello- big phan of Giants here. Finally subscribed to the list. Love to collect live shows. . . and are there tapes of shows in circulation for trade???? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:03:43 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: One last time! Ben or Been here, warning ya'll! Wednesday evening may be the last opportunity you have to hear the 1959 version of "WDTSS"! Call soon! I've gotten calls from Princeton, the Netherlands, among other places. I live in Ohio, so if that's not too far a distance for you to call, well then, do so! The selection to follow I believe will be the original for "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers. Good sound. If not, because of several requests, I will re-run the Meat Puppets' "Whirlpool." (Well, I will eventually anyway, and I'll tell ya'll.) Rush out to call! Felio in ex chelsea stay-o, Ben or Been Wanting to E-Prime It (or Id, but Not!) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:09:37 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: They Might Be Giants Listen to all your albums, chronologically. Then note patterns, the feelings you get, favorites as the years progress, additions of styles, subtractions of styles, and any other etcetera. Call this TMBG Assignment #1. I won't grade you. Enjoy They Might Be Giants, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: help!!! Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 14:09:55 -0800 (PST) > hey lately I have hearda few songs by TMBG that are not on albums taht I > know of. > > Marion speaks, stormy pinkness. We go nuts at x-mas time. does any one know > where copies can be found? I am also interested in slightly less than legal > TMBG cd's. > any suggestions? > Stormy Pinkness is the 3rd track of five on the Istanbul Not Constantinople maxi-single. I got mine at Tower, so since its hard to find around here (CA), you gotta special order or something.... (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 15:28:13 -0800 From: alveajo@ix.netcom.com (Jose Alvear) Subject: Cartoon Planet, was Re: MST3K Cartoon Planet, yes I've heard of that show. Which as was mentioned here an offshoot of Space Ghoast Coast To Coast. In one very recent episode of SGC2C, Joel Hodgson, the creator and first host of Mystery Science Theater 3000, wrote the show. See how everything ties in to MST3K? BTW: Can you guys inform me a bit, I don't have a TV guide or anything. What channel is Cartoon Planet on and when is it on? Jose TM(ST3K)BG You wrote: > >> Speakin' of television, I recommend every TMBG fan watch "Cartoon Planet". >>It's on USA or TBS or something. For one thing, it's freakin' hilarious! They >>do some schtick and then they show a really BAD cartoon from the '70's (much >>like MST). And they almost always do something with music by TMBG and usually >>list them in the credits. Kinda gives you a warm feeling inside... >> >> so long for now, >> josh > > This show is a spin off of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast (a talk show >hosted by SG) which is on the Cartoon Network, Cartoon Planet is also on >TBS. They use "No One Knows My Plan" for background music during the >opening sequence. There is a Space Ghost page at >http://www.ghostplanet.com, it's really cool. Check out both shows and the >page, trust me. > > -charney > http://www.mindspring.com/~rickh/charne3.h >tm > > ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: help!!! Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 11:25:00 PST hey lately I have hearda few songs by TMBG that are not on albums taht I know of. Marion speaks, stormy pinkness. We go nuts at x-mas time. does any one know where copies can be found? I am also interested in slightly less than legal TMBG cd's. any suggestions? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 02:40:05 GMT From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Re: birdcages and neuro > 3 points. Can anyone out there tell me what is wrong with the >character in "Destination Moon" in a neurological sense? Off the top of my >head I'd guess at a pure motor stroke or maybe a frontal lobe problem. But >I'm rubbish at neuro, so I'm expecting to be shot down in flames here! I wouldn't have thought anything neurological. Okay - I seem to remember posting an interp of DM on the old list. Ben or Been - If I did, you'd have got a copy. Can anyone check the old digests? In a nutshell, I interp'd the guy being HIV+, if not already having developed full blown AIDS... and the "passage" of the chorus was how, even so unwittingly, HIV could be transmitted (from rocket to the moon to airport to taxi to door). The reference to "nothing wrong with me" I took to mean that no-one can tell if someone is HIV+ or not. My $.02 Joe -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************** * * "Look at my face, turn it around, I'm the invisible man, * I'm the expletive deleted" -- "Expletive Deleted" - Swingin' Utters ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 22:08:04 -0700 Subject: Re: ID >> > The thing is named "ID" which is, I beleive the hindu word for I, look it >> > up, as IO am sure to be wrong. > >> I don't know if "ID" is the hindu word for I or not, >> which if it was it would sure >> make for a good interp. but in the words found in the JH CD it says: >> "it's a thing named 'it'" >> Of course if the "ID" up there was supposed to be a "IT" >> it would fit fine and it >> being the hindu word for I, it would fit with the song as well. > Huh??? > A "Hindu" is a person who follows the religion of Hinduism. > Or you can refer to Hinduism as the "Hindu" faith. > Many Hindus speak the language Hindi. > "Id" is Latin for "That" or "it". > "Ego" is Latin for "I", as in "me, myself and I". > Sigmund Freud used the term "ego" for the everyday humans > we are, who must balance the impulses from the "id" (our beast-within) > and the highest ideals of our "super-ego". OKAY, OKAY, so I was wrong on a few points, but to me id sounded better, and yes it was hindi, typo, and so my liner notes say what yours do, but In my world... -Rabid Child is the beast within 8o) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Graham Maby is TmBG new bassist... Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 02:25:53 -0500 (EST) Well, 2 friends of mine and I made the trip down to the District of Columbia to see the greatest band in the world, TMBG, at the new 9:30 club, this being the 10th concert for me. Upon heading for V street, which turned out amazingly easy to find we were very shocked to find out it was at the old location of the Radio Music Hall which we had seen the Giants at twice last year. We were also very fortunate to have a great big parking lot right next to the club (probably the only decent place to park in the Capital). It was a general admission show which was very cool and we waited around for close to an hour and a half (and this was also arriving about a half an hour late after doors were opened) to see the opening band the Candy Butchers, also natives of NYC. It was surprisingly easy to get up close to the stage. A friend of mine picked up the long sleeve Sailing TMBG shirt which is rather cool. They also stamped my hand for the bar as I was over 21 (but this quickly wore off as the concert progressed due to sweat). The Candy Butchers were a two man accoustical band that were not bad at all. They were very funny, too. The lead singer said not to be afraid of the flips he was going to do on stage, of the pryrotechnics and giant dinosaur that will come out of the back of the stage! He noticed that many of us were chanting to play Freebird but alas, they did not play it, but instead played a cover of a Beatles song i had never heard of. They also mentioned how they were the Recon band for the main band TMBG scoping out the audience, checking the lines of site for the people in the upper section and the soundboard, very funny stuff ;) They had some good songs too but the only one I can remember is about California and beaches or something. When the Candy Butchers left the stage there was another half an hour wait for the Giants to come on stage. The old legs were getting a bit tired from standing around so long but I knew the adrenaline would kick in once the boys got up there. When they finally did arrive on stage the place was going crazy. They started off with Spider, just like the Philly show! Twas excellente! When Flans introduced the band he said 'Say hello to the newest member of the band, Graham Maby,' so Graham is now the new bassist. I don't know what the heck happened to Tony Maimone, though. They also played James K. Polk. Flans introduced the song by saying something like 'Welcome to the President of the United States of America's favorite band!' Then he said, 'For some reason they didn't take this as well in Philadelphia'. This was the most packed concert I had ever been, too. I defintely felt like a sardine. The crowd was swaying back and forth and I almost fell over a few times, I couldn't even get my hands up in the air sometimes I was so tightly packed. There was also a lot of crowdsurfing which I don't like at all. I got kicked in the head once as well which sucked. One girl said to me, 'It stinks to be small doesn't it?' But I ain't that small there's just some huge 6'+ people there. During Birdhouse, which was the last song, and Stomp Box and a few others I was so physically exhausted from pushing and being pushed around I couldn't even bounce around after a few seconds. Other songs of note were Sensurround, Cowtown, Santa's Beard, Shoehorn with Teeth, and the New She Was a Hotel Detective. They really seem to be getting away from the older stuff, generally not playing much at all from the first album or Lincoln. They do seem to be playing the singles and newer songs much more. Maybe Graham has not gotten much chance to practice the older songs? I am glad he is with the band, he is a truly great bassist and has played with another great artist Joe Jackson. He realy gets into the music, throwing his hair around and having a good time. The show ended around midnight and I attempted to get a set list from the roadies but missed ones just barely. We proceded to leave the loving city of DC after we saw a car with bullet holes in it and after a guy had thrown a snowball at my car 8-( Another great concert in the history books! Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: forgot some things Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 02:32:11 -0500 (EST) OOps forgot a few things in the concert review. The guy from the Candy Butchers came on stage to play with Them during Spy, which was realy cool, and Flans did the hand waving bit, the first time I had seen that since Linnell always does it!. But I think Linnell wanted to add some keyboard stuff into it. Near the end they started to play a Fleetwood Mac song (the song eludes me maybe someone knows?) and the CB guy sang it. Also during No One Knows My Plan we tried to get a conga line going but all my yelling only got 4 people to join, 1 of which was my friend Zach, but there was this guy and this gal in it, even though it got broken for a bit, and the guy had on a nametag which said Satan on it. This is very ironic because during a CB song the singer was trying to invoke Satan in some ritual through one of his songs and now I see Satan, it was very freaky! Actually, though, the guy was very cool and so was the girl and we all high fived at the end of our great conga line! After the concert a girl stopped our car to get my friend, Zach's phone number as well cause he helped her get up in front or something, that was kinda wacky. Ok i'm off to go to bed. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 02:33:23 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Anyone else planning to be at New Haven? On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Kelly, Neil P wrote: > Well, friends, if anyone else is planning to be at Toad's Place Thursday > night,look for me, if you desire. I'll be wearing a KLF t-shirt (white > on black, with the word TRANCENTRAL and two speakers stacked in a 'T' > shape on the back). Say howdy, you know, stuff like that Yes, I will be at the New Haven show. If I can manage to get it finished tonight (and if I'm allowed to bring it inside, AND if I'm willing to go through with it again) I'll be the jerk with the giant James K. Polk banner. Anyone who saw John and John last March in Rochester will probably remember the first such banner. I can't believe they actually played that song at the New Year's show, and I was at work. Well, see ya there, maybe. -Slacker Ng (AKA Cuper). ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-18 *****************************