Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-180 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 180 Friday, 28 June 1996 Today's Topics: Mono Puff in Philly Single? Re: Introduction and Some Commentary Re: Introduction and Some Commentary 9:30 club Mono Puff in NJ! Mono Puff Concerts Fingertips live???... Bootleg Video vol. 1 9:30.... Re: Fingertips live???... Re: Religion on this list Ok, what? Mono Puff on ATC sad sad sad sad Re: Mono Puff on ATC MONOPUFF ROCKED DC!!! Me? Alone? Mono Puff news (fwd) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 11:18:27 EDT From: "jason soltan" Subject: Mono Puff in Philly Hi all! My head is still spinning from the Mono Puff show in Philly last night, so I thought I'd send in a review... The amazing thing was that there were only around 30 people at the show. If you get to see them, you're in for a treat, because it's a return to the small, intimate club show where you can be right there to enjoy everything w/o moshers/crowdsurfers. It seemed obvious that John and crew were truly enjoying this aspect of their new project. After the show the band came off the stage to hang and talk at the bar...it was so refreshing! More about that later... The good news is that the show was great! They played well and were having a good time. The sound mixing could have used a little help, as many of the lyrics were a little drowned out by the music. They had someone from WDRE there (I guess she's a DJ) to do the voice from Distant Antenna, and if the monologue hadn't already soaked deep into my gray matter ;)~ I wouldn't have had any idea what was going on. Overall, however, the sound was masterful as usual. They played most of the album, as well as a few new ones (to me at any rate) including: Hillbilly Drummer Girl, Felt Tip Pen, and New York City. They also played a Frank Black song and a couple others I didn't catch the names of. John provided a few (possibly misleading as usual) insights into the music. He started by saying (all quotes are not necessarily word for word) "This next song is based on a true story, it's called 'Don't Break The Heart'." After the song, he continued with, "I never know when to believe these bar bands when they say 'True Story'...you hear it so much. But here's a true story. I don't know if any of you are baseball fans, but when I was a kid I remember seeing (didn't catch the name, but I think he's mentioned in the song) doing some appearance and realizing that he was high on LSD. A little bit later, I saw (sorry, but I missed this one too) on a show, and I realized that she was high on cocaine. This was when I was struck by the realization that it was possible to appear in public while high...This song is about them, and it's called 'What Bothers The Spaceman'." After that song, he grinned and said something like, "Now THIS story is really, actually true. This actually happened to me." They then proceeded to play The Devil Went Down to Newport (which was of course, Totally Rocking). They all seemed to really relish this one...with John totally going totally deadpan for the "All right." and "Oh yeah." Take that series any way you like... When they finished up, and went offstage out the back, I thought, "Oh man, how are we gonna get a good encore raising amount of cheering out of twenty people?" The initial roar died down, and it went dead silent. I could visualize them standing behind that door looking at each other... People seemed to realize the situation and a few of us started to clap and cheer and call for more. Gradually everyone joined in and they came back out. John and Steve Calhoon played New York City, and they said goodnight. They shut down their equipment and wandered offstage to talk to everyone. I spoke with everyone but Steve Calhoon, and they all seemed really excited about the project. I told them how surprised I was at the small size of the crowd, and they agreed and seemed a little bummed. I told them that part of the problem was undoubdtedly that almost everyone seemed to have them listed at the TLA instead of the Silk City Lounge, and it was fairly difficult to track down. They seemed to think "that explains a lot" and it seemed to make them happier. They were all very friendly and exited, and eventually I wandered over to the bar to talk to John. I told myself not to be a rabid fan and try to get his autograph or something, but the guy next to me was getting an autograph and I found myself reaching for my Hello Club flyer...(wishing I had brought the album)... Oh well, so I cracked. But after that I told him I liked the project and that it was a great show, and he thanked me for coming. I must have looked somewhat surprised at the idea that I might not show up, and said that I was glad to have the chance. I haven't been able to stop singing Unspervised since... "I had a real good time..." Later all! -Jason "If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?" --SP ------------------------------ From: comped9@pop.tiac.net Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1992 11:29:38 -0700 Subject: Single? Has anyone here heard that They will be releasing a single before the album this fall? If anyone know anything about it, reply to LtAldus@aol.com. Thank you, Young Hickory Naploeon ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Introduction and Some Commentary Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:59:21 -0500 (CDT) > think JL takes himself just a little too seriously. But he is a MacUser, > and this does add to his godliness. :) No... Being a Mac user has nothing to do with godliness. Show me the Johns working on a DEC workstation or something like that, and then I'll be impressed. DOWN WITH MACS! DOWN WITH IBMS! DOWN WITH MICROSOFT! DOWN WITH INTEL! ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION!!! GO ALPHAS! Sorry..... "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~"~~"`"`"<<>>~""~~~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Introduction and Some Commentary Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 14:29:16 -0500 From: Mr Blue >> think JL takes himself just a little too seriously. But he is a MacUser, >> and this does add to his godliness. :) I agree with this. I'm a macuser. I go to Computer Tech and we have to use PCs :-( Since going to Computer Tech I'm even more thankful for my mac. BTW, I have heard a lot about Mono Puff (on this list I saw a post). Excuse my ignorance but who are they made up of? A TMBG side project? Donnie dltucker@access.mountain.net Am I alive or thoughts that drift away, does summer come for everyone, can humans do what prophets say? - Primitive Radio Gods write for information on music lists for Ruby and Poole ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: 9:30 club Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:58:11 -0400 (EDT) After reading the last post about the Philly show and how they only had 30 people there, Im beginning to think this DC 9:30 club show is gonna be strange. I've been asking various people about how large they think the9:30 club is. I'm beginning to think at least 800 people could fit and maybe 1000 if it were kinda packed in tightly. Now if only 30 people show up and that could be true from what I've heard about the percentages of tix sold, this place will seem like a cavern. There's usually at least a few hundred people for shows. I'm still thinking they shoulda touted it as Monopuff--a John Flansburgh (of TMBG) project. But it's cool that there will be so few there. I definitely plan on bringing the sleeve of the Monopuff album and a felt tip pen! I wonder who will do the Distant Antenna part also? hmmm Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:58:40 -0400 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: Mono Puff in NJ! You know what just rules my world? Not only is Mono Puff playing really close to my house, which means I will be able to see them live. But I was able to secure a press pass for myself (for my e'zine), which means I might be able to possibly interview John! Well, of course, I most likely won't get to interview them, or even talk to them, but I will be seeing them live (& they'll be playing somewhat acoustic because of where they are playing) and that's all I really care about. I can hope that I will meet him, for that would be "totally rockin'." Wish me luck. I'll give a full report on the show, which takes place next Friday, July 5. --- -- - Tom Sullivan (edi@cybercomm.net) -- Editor of Jonas e'Zine http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html --- -- - ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 15:53:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Mono Puff Concerts Hideho! Just a little suggestion to anyone going to a Mono Puff show: maybe you could tape it? :) A lot of us are unable to go to a Mono Puff show, and being able to hold it in your hand is the next best thing to being there. Think; if you do, you can listen to it over, and over, and over... :) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:45:56 -0700 From: Tim Babbel Subject: Fingertips live???... you know, I've been to about four TMBG shows, which is about all that have come around my area, but anyway, out of all the shows I've been to, I've never heard them play "fingertips" live, and I was wondering if anyone on the list has ever heard this song(s) performed live. Steve ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:27:00 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Bootleg Video vol. 1 I just got the bootleg video and it's pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone knows when volume 2 is coming out. I can't wait! Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net, rclark@tmbg.org "It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." ______________________________________________________________________________ Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by subscribing to the "EvangeList" listserver! Send email to: or go to: . ____________________________________________________________________________ __ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 18:23:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Paul Sebold Subject: 9:30.... Goodday List, Hello... does anyone have any numbers/clues as to where I would call for tickets the the TMBG show at the 9:30 in DC on Aug 16? Also, do you think it will be 18 and up (alas, I will be 14 days shy on 18 on the 30th)? -just fishin' for input. Paul ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -What's that blue thing.... DOIN' HERE?!?! + + *They Might Be Giants* + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:38:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Fingertips live???... In Amherst, MA, in 9/92, they played "I'm having a heart attack" which then led into The Statue Got Me High... apparently, the set from around that time usually included that sequence. I think they've also opened some shows with "Everything is catching on fire..." Other than that, I doubt they've played much of it, except maybe at those shows they do when an album comes out where they play the whole thing from start to finish (I don't know if they did that with Apollo 18, though) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:09:53 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: Religion on this list i awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > No. Don't even start. If this list becomes a discussion of Religion, in > any way, shape, or form, I will be forced to leave. Religion and politics > are two things that are definitely not welcome. > > If you feel the same way I do, just post a quick reply. No. Don't EVEN do that. if this list starts to be the home of a bunch of quick replies, i'll be forced to leave. i just can't abide those little quick replies. with tongue in mouth, frank ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 22:19:21 -0400 Subject: Ok, what? call me stupid, but what is the album by Monopuff actually called? I want to go to my local record store and ask for it, but this is the kind of place where you have to know everything about the band/album before they'll get it for you. Please help. Llama grrl ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 22:26:18 -0400 Subject: Mono Puff on ATC For anyone who cares, the Mono Puff All Things Considered interview will be broadcast on the 4th of July. They played a lot of songs (no acoustic) including Unsupervised, I Hit My Head, Dr. Kildare, Felt Tip Pen, and renditions of the ATC theme and the Johnny Carson theme. I know this because my girlfriend is a music intern for ATC and got to spend several hours chatting with the band! AAAGGGGHHH! I would have given a LOT to be there. She got autographs from Flans and Steve (and a set for me too =) Anyway...just thought that maybe someone out there might like to know =) -Dan --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 00:02:21 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose not Alex, just his email" Subject: sad sad sad sad I am very sad. My email is down, I cannot check messages from this group, I cannot receive or respond to personal messages. I am only doing this now out of desperate sadness. I live in Toronto where Mono Puff will never come. I will not hear the ATC show cause we do not get it here. I keep hearing how others go to TMBG and now MP shows, have a cool time and meet the band (especially the legendary Edisom Museum show) and I get happy that these people got the chance but then I get sad that I did not. I went all the way to Rochester in Feb and not only did not get to meet then but I got bodyslammed and otherwise injured by moshing preteens. I went to Etown in APril, a long away from my home, and got to meet some of you , and that was VERY cool, but once again John and John took off and that was the end of that. Oh, I don't mean to complain but as a die hard fan of long standing I just love them so much it kind of hurts to hear about things that will never happen to me (and I keep hearing cool stories). I hope I haven't wasted your time. Soon when my email is back I shall return as the giddy funmeister you all know and love. you know, sometimes loving the best band in the world can hurt. Everything would be ok if 1: Mono Puff came to Toronto and 2: if I finally got a fucking info club mailing, since I haven't gotten one in 2 years and it's making me mad. Please forgive my vitriol, a man can only take so much. Your pal, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 23:43:10 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Mono Puff on ATC On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 DGently253@aol.com wrote: > For anyone who cares, the Mono Puff All Things Considered interview will be > broadcast on the 4th of July. They played a lot of songs (no acoustic) > At what time is this broadcast? I think they play ATC, like, two million times a day, but is this one special and only played once? If anyone could supply a time (EST, preferably...and specify if this includes DST, please!)... Thanks... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 01:37:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: MONOPUFF ROCKED DC!!! Yeah! Monopuff were excellent tonight at the 930 club in DC. I'm sure Matt James will post a very detailed message, but I just thought I'd say a few words about it. I hate to use a worn-out lyric, but it was TOTALLY ROCKIN'! It was Flans, drummer Steve Calhoun, and they brought Eric and a bassist Dan Horne (?) because Hal Cragin is out touring with Iggy Pop. They played all of Unsupervised except for "Hello, Hello" and "Don't I Have The Right?" So, the show was great. And they had ten buck tee shirts woohoo! But the best was afterwards, we hung out a long time to see if John would come out and he did, and everyone swarmed like vultures to a corpse. He signed much much much and let people take pictures, and he answered lots of questions. I only remember some because I was so in awe of his Johnness. Matt will probably be able to say more because he got it all ON TAPE! including John speaking afterwards. He was very nice about it all, but I could see he was getting annoyed at a few people who were really crowding him and being demanding. But it wasn't too bad. The best part was when a guy asked him for a hug, and John said "Get a life." YAYA!HHHHAHAHAHA! It was all very jovial though, John hugged him and moved on. Oh, during Distant Antenna he got a girl from the sudience to come up and read the girly part (almost me! if I had been taller and louder...drat), but we could hardly hear her over the music. It was a great show!!! And I got to meet two more listy members, John Murray (hi John!) and Lawrence Solomon (helloo). I am still so happy I cannot go to sleep. I wanted to cry after being so near John for several minutes straight, and he smiled DIRECTLY AT ME!! when I told him "good show." Yaaaaaaaa! I need a sedative!!!!!! ------drooling Nola ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 00:48:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Me? Alone? I am beginning to doubt myself...why do I do it?...Why do I still care?...I will never see THEM live...I will never get a John autograph...I will never be able to do all the cool things you all say you get to do cuz you live in/around the New England states where they actually play...I'm down here in Texas...they never come here...I'm getting dissappointed...I need to see THEM live...NEED... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 02:35:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Mono Puff news (fwd) Not fair. This gets sent to the newsgroup but not to the list. Nyah. Well, here you go kids. I know a lot of us also look at the ng, but there are probably lots that don't. Hmm? Maybe? ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Fri, 21 JUN 1996 18:59:32 GMT From: Rykodisc Newgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: Mono Puff news Hey, here's some new info on Mono Puff...the CD, Unsupervised, has come out and is available at your local record shop. They're also getting ready for a four city mini-tour (Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C. and two nights in New York City) featuring Hal Cragin and Eric Schermerhorn from Iggy Pop's band, and dates/venues for the tour can be found at the Rykodisc site (http://www.rykodisc.com/3/monomain.html), as can all the info on the band, including audio samples and the story of the band straight from Flansburgh himself. As if that weren't enough, we're working on getting clips of the totally rockin' video for "The Devil Went Down to Newport". Hope that's enough to stir your Mono Puff curiosity... Prairie Rykodisc ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-180 ******************************