Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-181 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 181 Saturday, 29 June 1996 Today's Topics: Fingertips and other questions. Re: What bothers the Spaceman Mono Puff news ATC Re: Fingertips and other questions. Returned mail: User unknown Monopuffy - 9:30 Club and Stuff TMBG in DC Re: TMBG in DC Distant Antenna Re: Fingertips and other questions. Monopuff on TV! Re: lurk before you leap... (unrelated things) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Fingertips and other questions. Hmm, I remember several shows where "Everything... fire" led into Statue. I can't remember hearing any other fingertips though... Also, I'm curious. The last time I saw the Johns, they were touring as a four-piece sans horns. Is this still the case? If it is, it's a shame. I miss the days with Kurt Hoffman on sax and keys and Frank London on trumpet. John L. seemed to play a lot more accordion then. Or maybe I'm just getting nostalgic in my old age. Also, it's been years since I've seen Brian Dewan open for them. Does anyone out there have any idea what he's been up to? -Slacker Ng. P.S. Poughkeepsie area list members, check out the Chance lineup on the 12th. You won't be disappointed. (No TMBG, but a great show is sure to be had.) ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Re: What bothers the Spaceman Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 8:08:21 EDT >He started by saying (all quotes are not necessarily word for word) "This next >song is based on a true story, it's called 'Don't Break The Heart'." After the >song, he continued with, "I never know when to believe these bar bands when >they say 'True Story'...you hear it so much. But here's a true story. I don't >know if any of you are baseball fans, but when I was a kid I remember seeing >(didn't catch the name, but I think he's mentioned in the song) doing some >appearance and realizing that he was high on LSD. A little bit later, I saw >(sorry, but I missed this one too) on a show, and I realized that she was high >on cocaine. This was when I was struck by the realization that it was possible >to appear in public while high...This song is about them, and it's called >'What Bothers The Spaceman'." There was a baseball player named Bill "The Spaceman" Lee a while back. I don't have my Monopuff CD here at work to see if the lyrics apply to him though... Anyone else have any insight? -- John P ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Mono Puff news Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:32:13 -0400 (EDT) > Not fair. This gets sent to the newsgroup but not to the list. > Nyah. Well, here you go kids. I know a lot of us also look at the ng, > but there are probably lots that don't. Hmm? Maybe? hehe couild Ana Ng be Ana Newsgroup? hmmmm so the johns were on the Internet after all! ;) > > Hey, here's some new info on Mono Puff...the CD, Unsupervised, has > come out and is available at your local record shop. They're also > getting ready for a four city mini-tour (Boston, Philadelphia, > Washington D.C. and two nights in New York City) featuring Hal Cragin > and Eric Schermerhorn from Iggy Pop's band, and dates/venues for the > tour can be found at the Rykodisc site hmm Hal was not at the DC show, he was with Iggy. Dan someone played bass at theshow. > (http://www.rykodisc.com/3/monomain.html), as can all the info on the > band, including audio samples and the story of the band straight from > Flansburgh himself. As if that weren't enough, we're working on > getting clips of the totally rockin' video for "The Devil Went Down to > Newport". Hope that's enough to stir your Mono Puff curiosity... Ya, now only if I could find this EP of Devil! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: ATC Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:36:41 -0400 (EDT) I think that Flansy said that All Things Considered on July 4 would be at 5:00 or 5:30, I can't rmeember, my friend probably does, I'll have to find out. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:53:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Fingertips and other questions. When I saw them at Lisner Auditorium in October of '94, there were six people - trumpet and trombome in addition tot eh regular band. At Fairfax just a few weeks ago, it was just 5 people (they had another guitarist who kind of covered for teh horns a bit). But Linnell didn't play the accordion much. Up until summer of '94, they had someone who played the electronic keyboard, so Linnell could play the acocordion the whole time.. I wish they'd go back to that format... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:55:10 -0400 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem Subject: Returned mail: User unknown The original message was received at Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:55:09 -0400 from root@localhost ----- The following addresses had delivery problems ----- tmbg-list.org (unrecoverable error) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 tmbg-list.org... User unknown ----- Original message follows ----- Return-Path: Received: by uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU (8.6.10/1.34) id LAA03962; Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:55:09 -0400 Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:55:09 -0400 From: gmn7y Message-Id: <199606281555.LAA03962@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU> X-Mailer: Mail User's Shell (7.2.5 10/14/92) To: tmbg-list.org Subject: Felt-tip pen lyrics I can't believe I left the Mono Puff show last night before John et al came out and talked to people. I am utterly chagrined. Anyway, I did get a cool souvenir that may interest some of you. A stage technician gave the set list to somebody, and another sheet of paper with John's handwriting on it to me. I was talking to the back-up bassist (not the trombone guy) by the bar after the show, and I asked him what the sheet was (the words on it were very cryptic). He said it was some of the lyrics to "Felt-tip Pen," the song that John prefaced with "We wrote this one about three days ago during a rehearsal, and I still don't konw all the words." So he must have been using this sheet to remind himself of the words. Well, I can proudly say that I must be about the first person to have (some of) the lyrics to this song, as it was written so recently. But I didn't get to meet John. :( But I can still say I 've touched him, at least: I was at a TMBG show at UVA last year when John held out his guitar to those of us (including me) in the front row, so we could whack at it and make sound come out (I forget during which song this occurred). SO I got to touch both the guitar and his hand. Greg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 13:47:56 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Monopuffy - 9:30 Club and Stuff > You know what just rules my world? > > Not only is Mono Puff playing really close to my house, which means I will > be able to see them live. But I was able to secure a press pass for myself > (for my e'zine), which means I might be able to possibly interview John! > > Well, of course, I most likely won't get to interview them, or even talk to > them, but I will be seeing them live (& they'll be playing somewhat acoustic > because of where they are playing) and that's all I really care about. I > can hope that I will meet him, for that would be "totally rockin'." If you see Mono Puff you more than likely will get to meet everyone. Last night at the 9:30 club there wasn't too many people there (like 40) really easy to get up front. My friend Christy even was able to get up on stage and say the words to Distant Antenna. We even met the whole band before and after the show and got the talk to Flans for about 15 - 20 minutes. I even got a couple of pictures of me with Flans and Eric the guitarist. That show was totally rockin and it makes me wish I would have been old enough to know TMBG back during the early years. If you're not going to the Murcury Lounge you should reconsider, I'll more than likley be going saturday because the DC show was fucking awsome. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 13:56:03 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: TMBG in DC Last night Flans said that they will be playing in DC on the 17th at the 9:30 club. So for those wondering thats where it will be. Also other Flans Trivia Flans will be getting married on July 14 (Bastile day as he said) They Might Be Giants new album IS NOT Freaksickle and he said it will probally never be relased because Elktra doesn't feel that is well he said something to the effect of Trendy. (Freaksickle that is) From snow ball in hell, it is not my fantisy is in a xerox shop. Flans hopes his video will be one 120 minutes the weekend but he wants people to call MTV and make them put it on. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 14:05:06 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: TMBG in DC > > Last night Flans said that they will be playing in DC on the 17th > > at the 9:30 club. So for those wondering thats where it will be. > > You mean the August 16th show of TMBG, or June 17th for > either Monopuff or TMBG? Is this a typo or a date they didn't > tell me about. :-) > Its a typo I was thinking of something else. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Distant Antenna Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:28:41 -0400 (EDT) I don't/Matt I remember that girl Christy at the DC show who did the talking part of Distant Antenna, that was the glitter girl. The only problem was I couldn't hear a word she was saying. I have a feeling the mic was set to a really low volume because it seemed like Flans had to shout into it and he already has a loud voice. I don't think the tape picked it up either (which I have aptly dubbed Monopoof!) Also, afterwards Flans put that gal on the guestlist if I remember correctly and said to tell em that she was Flans' cousin if they wouldn't let her in hehehe Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:10:40 -0400 Subject: Re: Fingertips and other questions. <> Not me! Much as I love seeing Linnell play the accordion (and who doesn't?), it's also fun to see him go nuts on the keyboard once in a while. Kay ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Monopuff on TV! Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 23:11:36 -0400 (EDT) ESPN-2 is using the Devil Went Down to Newport as some leader music for some of the extreme games (at Newport, RI)...very cool! If only they said who it was! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 01:40:40 -0400 Subject: Re: lurk before you leap... (unrelated things) or at least you should.. esp of yer me and you've never posted before and you cant type.. so there you go, fish, barel, smokeing gun- knock yerselves out! (advance apologies to people who cant, for reasons of their own, see monopuff) woo-hoo! just got back from monopuff right here in new york city (where the best thing is you and me.. sorry, had to b said) funfunfun! what is it about being in the presence of either of the johns that eliminates the need for sleep? who knows. well, *ouch! dont say u didnt know this was comeing* it was _totally rocking_ (sorry!) before anyone came out the sound guy played How Can I Sing Like A Girl and NYC and another one which sounded like Them which was weird.. and then spondee (opener #1.. includeing The Fiancee robyn if rumors are to b believed) were very cool and mellow (and i got the set list) but i felt bad cause there were a grand total of 5 of us.. and flans and co sitting in the back.. and then ghost of tom *someone i cant remember* were not exactly bad, just 20 yrs too late.. and then flans and the puffs came on (by this time there were at least 50 o us) and a generally happy time ensued wherein i had too much fun with telephoto lenses and weird angles (which will end up with really weird pix) and i got the set list w/commentary (and footprints!) and the hand written lyric/notes to devil went down and hillbilly drummer. yipeee! but we _really_ had to go so i dunno if they came back to talk.. oh well. the really tough part was not sucumbing to complete deja vu when He walked on in the same damn shirt he wore to 2 o the tmbg shows.. and the lack of tryptophane is just tragic.. new songs (to me): felt tip pen hillbilly drummer ATC theme bad liqour (scary one) and there was one about golf i cant remember the name of memorable quote (hello mocking bird): "some people have country friends and some people have city friends but this song is about sh*tty friends" interesting fact: dr kildare is actually a cover of a ska cover of the original theme song which has words... well, i'm not even gonna get into the "true fan" issue (or any o the other ones) now seeing as i've prob allready done a million things wrong.. thanx for da time luv, liz ++++++++++ "the one in back/the way he acts is he reminding you of anyone we know? isnt he so like certain people i could name" -TMBG ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-181 ******************************