Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-182 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 182 Sunday, 30 June 1996 Today's Topics: Stuff Re: What Bothers The Spaceman All things considered? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-181 monopuff main Is someone at Delta Airlines a TMBG fan? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-180 TMBG singles Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 29 Jun 96 11:25:07 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Stuff First of all, I want to take this opportunity to welcome myself back. I have a new computer so I won't have to bitch at you any more. This may already have been said, but they've been playing devil went down to newport at the X-games. I have a strange attraction to put your hand inside the puppet head. I just thought I'd say that. My friend's father looks like linnel. Should I post a pic? That's all for now. Rob 'n stuff ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 12:47:27 -0400 Subject: Re: What Bothers The Spaceman I went to the Rykodisc site, and it had Flans' liner notes for all the songs. Apparently Bill Lee and "Doc" Ellis were baseball players (the latter being the only person ever to pitch a no-hitter while tripping on LSD). The song still makes as much sense as a fish riding a pogo stick..I love it anyway. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 11:20:37 PST Subject: All things considered? From: anakin1@juno.com (Nick J Hatton) what is all things considered? excuse my ignorance, by I seem to recall hearing about something with a name like that, But I can't recall what it was. I don't really want to miss it. anakin back and new and improved fortified with a brand new alias! Monopuff@tmbg.org pretty groovy huh! please reply through that because I think it's really neat and I haven't got Juno (email stuff) figured out completely ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 15:10:36 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-181 In a message dated 96-06-29 04:06:29 EDT, you write: > Flans will be getting married on July 14 (Bastile day as he said) Wow, Flans, hitched? This doesn't seem possible...who's the lucky lady? Anyone know? And what about Linnell? Is he still single?(yes, for all those who care, I've been out of the TMBG loop for a while) The Erika ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: monopuff Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 15:14:57 -0400 (EDT) Heyas, Well as soon as I see my friend Mike who has the setlist from Monopuff I'll put up the tunes playd, I could probably do if off the top of my head but that'd be just too much thinkin ;) Flans said they didn't play Tript. because of a lack of keyboardist. About the line, "some people have country friends and some people have city friends but this song is about sh*tty friends", we could not figure out if he said sh*tty or shady, I thought he had said shady and we know how wholesome Flans is ;) Maybe he said 2 different things at DC and in NYC? What did he said in Philly? Ok, I have listened to the Monopuff tape pretty much in full and it sounds pretty darn good for an audience recording, so if anyone has any nifty boots they would like to trade or if they just want a copy I can try to get em out to yas. I have a feeling I might be taping for a good long while. This includes the questions and answers us fans asked Flans after the show that went on for about 15 or so mins, although it is hard to hear him at times as the recorder was in my pocket. I also forgot to begin taping when I asked him about the Edison museum because I was rather excited about getting the sleve and back of my shirt (which I'll never wash ;) signed. oh also in DC Flans made a joke up on stage and the drummer did the bada-boom thing they do whenever ya make a joke on stage but my ears didn't pick up what he said, does anyone know? Ok signing off, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: main Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 15:47:30 -0400 (EDT) Hmm let's see, I kinda see TMBG surfing the curl of the mainstream much like Satan hung four in Newport, but I think it's more of a respect thing. They get ok respect it seems in NYC as they are from there but a lot of other stations, at least stations around here have heard of them but don't like to play them nearly as much as many other bands. This may be attributed to the weird/silly aspect they think of when they hear TMBG, not delving deeper into the lyrics and seeing these songs as just good ole fantastic songs. But yet they do make it on radio shows and on 120 minutes and such so their longevity has allowed them to prevail and make many an album. Around here there seems to be a fair amount of fans and a good amount of people have at least heard of them, most likely the songs they hear on the radio much like a bunch of other bands. So maybe it's a question of not respecting them as much as some other bands taht are often played? hmm a point to ponder... Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 Jun 96 16:47:31 edt From: rchem@gate.net (Rich Chmielewski) Subject: Is someone at Delta Airlines a TMBG fan? I just got back from a business trip to Maine. As you may know, many airlines now-a-days pipe music thru the airplane and charge a nominal fee (ha ha) of $4 to let you listen to a half-hour loop tape (if they are showing a movie, otherwise its free). Delta Airlines has their loop tapes categorized into types of music like, Adult Contemporary, Classical, etc. Well, I was looking through Sky Magazine at all of the music that is available under the individual categories and to my surprise and delight, there was 'Why Does The Sun Shine?' under the childrens section. I just had to spend the $4 to listen to it. Everyone on the plane was probably wondering why my continual look of boredom (while waiting for the loop to reach the right spot) turning into such a big grin. -Rich ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 12:30:46 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-180 >Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 00:48:03 -0500 (CDT) >From: Chris Kopenec >Subject: Me? Alone? > >I am beginning to doubt myself...why do I do it?...Why do I still >care?...I will never see THEM live...I will never get a John >autograph...I will never be able to do all the cool things you all say >you get to do cuz you live in/around the New England states where they >actually play...I'm down here in Texas...they never come here...I'm >getting dissappointed...I need to see THEM live...NEED... Hey, I feel the same way sometimes. I've seen them once in my whole entire life and it was 5am before I got home from that... They came on at 11:30pm and finished at about 1:30am. They were great. Tour the world again, please!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 12:57:40 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: TMBG singles Hi people, I was just wondering if anyone knows which TMBG singles are actually available on order in the US. I live in Australia and it took me seven months to get Why Does The Sun Shine?!!!!!! Apparently there isn't any others available on import order here, but maybe I could talk someone at a record store into trying to get some singles for me some other way. THANKS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-182 ******************************