Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-184 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 184 Tuesday, 2 July 1996 Today's Topics: Toonie's thoughts Undeliverable Message Unrelated things ATC Mono Puff in NYC tmbg shirt to the rescue Re: RE: tmbg know it all's 120 minutes oops! i made a goof! monopuff video Hello what's going on... Mono Puff video & the cover of John Henry Re: What Bothers The Spaceman (CRY OF AGONY AND PAIN) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHH!!!!!! Re: 120 minutes and Unsupervised Hillbilly Drummer Girl (possibly crap) Mono Puff tour dates ATConsidered Information. Re: ATConsidered Information. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 01:38:29 -0700 From: CourToonie Subject: Toonie's thoughts Hi peoples, after coming back from vacation (a weeks worth of west and wewaxation), I came back to a couple o' new threads on the list! Here are my thoughts on some, in a nutshell... * It really doesn't matter how "intelligent" TMBG fans are or seem, we are all fans of one of the greatest bands of our time, and we have that in common, that's all! Let's be friends. :) That's all that matters. There is no definition of the "biggest fan". We all are in our own heads. * I wouldn't mind TMBG becoming "popular", but I am happy with their current status. BUT, I do kinda like them as a "low profile" group. It means, less sold out concerts so us fans can see 'em when we can. :) Different is good, too. * Yes, what was once "alternative" is now "popular". Go fig. You see 7 year olds walking the streets these days, singing Green Day or Alannis Morissette and donning green or purple hair. Scary. I used to walk the streets, wearing my Keds and whistle to The Go-Go's. As a matter of fact... I still do. Go fig. * Ah, Schoolhouse Rock. I really don't like the new ones that they show on ABC. The old ones are killer. I have the Schoolhouse Rock Rocks! CD, and it's neato. There is a new boxed set that was released with all the old stuff (even with Scooter & Mr. Computer!)... that's better to buy than just the yellow CD. :) * Whoever was speaking of Transformers the Movie soundtrack, it so happens that my boyfriend has a copy on CD (he acquired it this year), after buying a copy on tape last year AFTER his old tape died on him. If you want a copy, let me know! Anyhoo... I have NO idea where my Flansburgh autograph from 2 years ago is. I think it's lost in my closet somewhere. I have no idea how. Does this make me a smaller fan than anyone else?! :( Lolly, lolly, lolly! -- Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 96 5:04:40 EDT From: Subject: Undeliverable Message To: Cc: Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-183 Message not delivered to recipients below. Press F1 for help with VNM error codes. VNM3043: Jason Soltan@1292@ETS VNM3043 -- MAILBOX IS FULL. The message cannot be delivered because the recipient's mailbox contains the maximum number of messages, as set by the system administrator. The recipient must delete some messages before any other messages can be delivered. The default limit is 1000 messages. Administrators can set lower limits if required using the Change mailbox settings function available in the Manage User menu (MUSER). The 1000 message limit is the maximum allowed by the Mail program. If this limit is reached, the recipient must delete some of the messages before the mailbox can accept any more incoming messages. ---------------------- Original Message Follows ---------------------- The original message was larger than the viewing area. It cannot be displayed as is. Therefore, it has been stored in the file `mail.txt'. Please view this file in order to read the message. Thank you. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:45:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: Unrelated things Hey everyone: A few TMBG-related comments/questions. I highly recommend the video bootleg if you haven't ordered it (really nice job, Russ!!).... What is Muchmusic anyway? Never heard of it. I'd like to see more of their early videos, though. Maybe they'll be on Volume 2? I think the info club sells them anyway. What's up with the 1-800-DIAL-MTV thing and Monopuff? Plus, well, what I really was going to write about... I went to Lollapalooza yesterday in Rockford, IL (actually in the Winnebago County (IL) Fairgrounds, somewhere outside Rockford). Of all the years I could have gone, I pick the year with Metallica headlining (not one of my favorite bands... they play a pretty polished show, and the music isn't that bad, I just don't really like their attitude). I pretty much just went to see Soundgarden (who were somewhat disappointing, they didn't play many songs from Superunknown, and were rather listless). But I did see the Ben Folds Five there, recommended to me by this list, and I really liked them. I didn't realize the song "Underground" was theirs. The bassist really looks like Eric Idle. They only played about 4 or 5 songs, since another band was coming on right after them. I'll probably get the CD sometime.... Jason "He wants a shoehorn -- the kind / J a s o n L. G o h l k e with teeth -- because he knows / jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu there's no such thing." -TMBG / bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 09:02:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: ATC Somebody here said that the All Things Considered show in question on the 4th airs at 5 or 5:30--is that Eastern time or what? --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 96 16:06:53 EDT From: "jason soltan" Subject: Mono Puff in NYC Hi everyone! Someone commented awhile back: >There was a baseball player named Bill "The Spaceman" Lee a while back. >I don't have my Monopuff CD here at work to see if the lyrics apply to him >though... Anyone else have any insight? Yes! Thank you, that was indeed what he said in his song intro. That fits perfectly with the story he told at Philly... I was fortunate enough to find out about the NYC Mercury Lounge show on Saturday and, after a hazy spell when auto pilot must have taken over, found myself and several friends standing outside The Mercury Lounge. Once again, Mono Puff was incredible. For those interested, John commented that Hillbilly Drummer Girl had to do with the Young Fresh Fellows. He also mentioned their upcoming ATC radio show and added, "You know, when you appear on the show, they make you learn the theme song, so we're going to play it for you now." And they did a great rendition, of course. Stacey, my girlfriend, was significantly more into this show than Philly. Maybe because I've made her watch the recently received Bootleg Video ;)~ a couple times. I think I've made another convert... In the past, she has enjoyed most of Their stuff that I've subjected her to, but I think that seeing them really worked it's inevitable magic...she loves Linnell's trademark leer at the crowd. Once again, I was able to say hi to the band, and heard John say a couple interesting things. It sounded like he said that he had just finished a radio Coke commercial. Hmmm. He also mentioned that he was directing a video for Soul Coughing. We talked for a bit about the relative number of people at NY vs Philly (it was kind of creepy to realize that he recognized me from the other show). The best part was that, this time, I brought my Unsupervised CD sleeve and he was kind enough to sign that for me! Earlier today I was listening to John Henry and had some ideas strike me about The End Of The Tour. Could someone tell me where to find the interpretations archive, so I can take a peek before I spout redundant material? Later all! -Jason "If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?" -SP ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 17:39:22 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: tmbg shirt to the rescue tim.clark@rma.edu wrote in green magic marker on the back of my head: >I also like the idea of TMBG being little known. I mean when you talk >to someone about music, or better yet 10 people at once, and you go "Hey anyone >ever heard of TMBG?", and everyone goes who!? But one guy goes "YEAH! TMBG >RULE!", thatS COOL. Actually, the only reason that I met one of my best friends my freshman year in college was that he kept wearing TMBG shirts (the snowman, the JH shirt) and Blues Brothers shirts, etc, so I *knew* that he would probably be cool. If you're ever lonely, you can be pretty sure that you'll find a good friend behind a TMBG shirt. Or, that's my opinion, at least. Too bad that I hardly ever wear mine...they're getting small or ragged, or they just fit oddly, and I don't feel comfy. I'll have to bring them out of the closet, I guess. Later! andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ============================ 'Do you smoke after sex?' 'I don't know I never look.' ============================ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 16:16:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: RE: tmbg know it all's > $#!+ that you listen to. What do you listen to any way? Kenny-g?" Steven Just > sits there and keeps on saying they suck when he has'nt even heard any of > there songs. After the game I finaly snap and beat him up real bad. > HEAR HEAR! You are the first truly intelligent person on this entire list. Instead of bantering worthlessly you fought someone fair and square to profess your beliefs...MORE TMBG RELATED VIOLENCE!!!!!! -erik ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 00:16:43 UT From: "Andreas Baeuchle" Subject: 120 minutes Hey did anybody watch 120 minutes this morning? Was Mono Puff on this week? Will it ever? I taped it, but I'm to lazy to fast forward through it. Your elitist friend ASB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:33:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: oops! i made a goof! hey. sorry about another post, but i need to make a correction on the 120 minutes address. the _CORRECT_ address is: minutes120@aol.com sorry! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:30:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: monopuff video heya all! i stayed up all last night to see if the monopuff video would be on 120 minutes, but, alas, it wasn't. :( so, i have a suggestion. it would only take a few minutes out of everyone's day, and if the whole list did it, it just might work. okay, here it is: i went to check out mtv online the other day, and it had the email address for all of mtv's shows. here's the one for 120 minutes: minutes120@mtv.com if everyone writes to this address asking them to play the new monopuff video, (hopefully) they'll listen to us. please get back to me to let me know how everyone feels about this. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 96 23:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Hello Hi. Since I'm new to this list, I thought I'd introduce myself to everybody. My name is Kirsten Brodbeck, I'm sixteen, and I live in Michigan. I got hooked on tmbg when I saw "Particle Man" and "Istanbul" on Tiny Toon Adventures. Needless to say, I ran out and bought Flood, and the rest is history. :) Not to sound like a complete idiot, but what's Mono Puff? I seem to be a tad behind on my tmbg info - I think my info club newsletter might've gotten hung up in the mail somewheres. Anyway, this list seems incredibly cool, which is fitting for an incredibly cool band! Crow -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "...Now he says he's seen the light and sold his to punk!" -The Sex Pistols "No One is Innocent" kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 23:02:33 -0400 Subject: what's going on... I haven't recieved a list mailing in days... I tried to resubscribe through majordomo... I didn't even get a reply... argh a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 20:11:41 -0700 (PDT) From: stewart1@lightspeed.net (The Infamous BS) Subject: Mono Puff video & the cover of John Henry Right. I'm new here... I am a listening to Mono Puff right now... and it's totally rocking... but due to my being new here, I don't know what Mono Puff has a video of... My guess would "Unsupervised, I hit my head." would someone care to confirm or deny my suspicions so that I can mail 120 minutes as requested? And as I have said, I am new here... so I don't know if this has been discussed before... I am sure you have talked about the Songs on John Henry, but have y'all ever discussed the pictures contained within? Just curious... I find them to be interesting... "WE HATE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" and the like. what was being implied, we wonder? but I do like that skull... uhm... and my name is... rather, my names are: realy name: Benjy Stewart initials: BS Nick #1: The Infamous BS Nick#othr: Dyer right then... good day/night/whatever. Benjy >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< / \ A thing at the airport sends out radar beams that travel through the atmosphere until they strike an airplane, causing it to shake violently during the meal service (this is called "turbulance"). The radar beams then bounce off the plane and travel back the other way until they are detected by the super-sensitive ear of the bat, which is thus able to locate the mosquito, eat it, and throw up. --Dave Barry-- \ / >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: What Bothers The Spaceman Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 21:29:46 -0400 : From: DGently253@aol.com : To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org : Subject: Re: What Bothers The Spaceman : Date: Saturday, June 29, 1996 12:47 PM : : I went to the Rykodisc site, and it had Flans' liner notes for all the songs. : Apparently Bill Lee and "Doc" Ellis were baseball players (the latter being : the only person ever to pitch a no-hitter while tripping on LSD). The song : still makes as much sense as a fish riding a pogo stick..I love it anyway. As I observed before... "Hey, man, I just struck out a Penguin!" -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I've left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down!"--Monty Python ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 23:34:52 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: (CRY OF AGONY AND PAIN) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHH!!!!!! ok. so a friend of mine tells me for a week straight that he'd be getting me a ride to the DC Monopuff show and he even gets me a discount off the monopuff CD with his employee discount at this music place. he then calls about the day before and tells me that he can't get me a ride completely killing my hopes. so instead of being in a crowd of about 40-50 people with Monopuff, i had a late-stay with my Day camp with the demonic fiends of hell that they call campers. i am very angsty right now. arrggh. may the force be with everybody but the guy who couldn't get me a ride after promissing that he could. daniel ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 23:55:10 -0400 Subject: Re: 120 minutes and Unsupervised >Hey did anybody watch 120 minutes this morning? Was Mono Puff on this >week? Will it ever? I taped it, but I'm to lazy to fast forward through it. I watched 120 Minutes and MP wasn't played. For anybody that has AOL, (and maybe you can find it somewhere on the internet on an MTV web site, if they have one) you can look to see the new videos that they will play. I didn't see it on the list, but I watched it anyway. I finally got MP 'Unsupervised' today. After 15 stores, I was really sick of looking for it, but I went into a "different" CD store and found it. :) I was listening to it in my car, and has anyone noticed the similarities between "Dr. Kildare" and No Doubt's "Spiderweb"? The beginnings are SO similar!! It was really strange! Anyway, that's all for today. :) tucker ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 00:01:02 -0400 Subject: Hillbilly Drummer Girl (possibly crap) Hello 41- This is short, don't fret! Hillbilly Drummer Girl is done by the Young Fresh Fellows on their Electric Bird Digest album. The Young Fresh Fellows should be kinda familiar from Twistin'. They are a very catchy, REM ish band. I like a lot. Nit ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 00:02:39 -0400 Subject: Mono Puff tour dates Hey guys! I was wondering if someone could help me. All of my web stuff is unattainable (DON'T get AOL _ever_!!), so I can't find dates for the MP shows. Does anyone know if they are coming to Chicago (or somewhere in WI or IN) any time soon??? Thanks! :) tucker ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 00:16:10 -0400 Subject: ATConsidered Information. All Things Considered is a wonderful news program that is broadcast over the National Public Radio network of stations. Hi, my name is Brooks and I am an NPR junkie. All Things Considered is the weekday afternoon news program. Not only will you get excellent news and commentary, but you can also hear nifty things like the upcoming Mono Puff interview. If you don't know the NPR station in your area, or if you are not sure what time they air ATC (It starts at 4 PM on the east coast, I know...) you can point your browser to: http://www.npr.org Incidentally, if you happen to miss the broadcast, you can also order tapes of the show from the web site. Love, Brooks, who even gives money to her NPR station! ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 00:35:31 -0400 Subject: Re: ATConsidered Information. OH.....I thought that ATC was only happening in the NY area! Yeah! I can listen to it then.....cool! What day is it going to be on then? (sorry, I didn't pay attention b/c I didn't think that I could listen to it) Will they play at all? All I have to do is figure out what station NPR is on in Chicago........hmmm. Thanks Brooksie! tucker ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-184 ******************************