Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 185 Wednesday, 3 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: RE: tmbg know it all's Welcome back (part 2) Re: Show em fellas! hello everyone Why Does the Sun shine? Re: Show em fellas! Chicago area NPR monopoof Re: Re: Show em fellas! New Interp for Twisting? Or did I just pass gas? Mono Puff tour dates Re: 120 minutes and Unsupervised TMBG on ATC shirts recording I'm in a Obvious Nowhere DRE DJ??? Get TMBG on Radio Free ATC Re: Show em fellas! I have a favor to ask TMBG Promotional Releases. Trivia... Re: Trivia... Re: Trivia... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: RE: tmbg know it all's Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:01:15 -0500 (CDT) > HEAR HEAR! You are the first truly intelligent person on this > entire list. Instead of bantering worthlessly you fought someone fair and > square to profess your beliefs...MORE TMBG RELATED VIOLENCE!!!!!! But since the world we live in is so subjective, what gives anyone the right to beat someone else up based off something as flimsy and fluid as a belief? There's no such thing as some kind of absolute, true path or morality, however much that would simplify life... By beating someone else up because of something you believe in, you're saying to that person, "I'm right. You're wrong. And now I will hurt you because of that." The problem is that nobody has the right to say that any one thing is right or wrong. You can make a judgement at the time of the situation based off what you think will be the "best" for yourself, and if you're feeling particularly altruistic, if the situation arises you may even ask yourself what would benefit the greatest number of people, but you can't go around imposing your will on people like that. Besides, what good is beating someone else up going to do? Especially if it's in the name of TMBG.... That makes me very sad to think that somebody just attached They Might be Giants to getting beat up... That's a particularly good way to get TMBG in bad favor. I mean, heck, you know how much the Johns diskike the moshing, etc, at concerts; well, they certainly wouldn't like that kind of stuff going on.... Just some ideas to roll around in your consciousness, CJ "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'`'~'~~"`"`"<<>>~""~~"~"~'`'`"~'""~~'`"`"~'`~"`' CJ Kucera - kucecj@sncac.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jul 96 10:13:50 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Welcome back (part 2) Did anyone respond to my questions/comments? My mail wasn't working so I missed it if anyone did. I only care about on thing though: Can anyone explain why I am attracted to put your hand inside the puppet head? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 12:14:50 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: Show em fellas! AMEN BROTHER BEJESUS!!!!!!! let's make it trendy!!!!!! let's make it cool!!!!!!!! let's make it a record!!!! we shouldn't be cheated out of material because tmbg are not trendy or cool enough. we are the tmbg fans!!! we NEED the superfueled freaksickle!!! we need to know the address of Elektra records.... i say we flood it with a mass mailing... let's kick these corporate buttknobs in the face with love of tmbg!!!! we could each send multiple messages and even generate fake ones to get our point across!!!! not just another john ------------------------------ From: smiley42@baka.com (Jonah Gold) Subject: hello everyone Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 12:17:22 +0000 I'm just writing to introduce myself. I'm new to this list and relatively new to the non AOL/real internet. I'm a ninth grader, probably younger than most of you, but I'm a total TMBG fan. I have never heard mono puff, and am not really sure what it is, except for the descriptions on the newsgroup. Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself and listening to a newbie. Have a nice day. ______________________________________________________________________________ "speak softly, drive a sherman tank. Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jul 96 12:50:41 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Why Does the Sun shine? This message goes out to al the guitar players out there. If you have heard the fast version of WDTSS on either stombox or on some bootleg (I think it's NY '94) you know there is a guitar part. Could someone figger out the chords? (I just aint good at that sort of thing.) I think it starts on E. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 13:15:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: Show em fellas! Hey John, I was just wondering why we are being instructed to flood Elektra with mail. They Might Be Giants ARE releasing an album in the fall, it's just not going to be called Superfueled Freaksickle. John said that they just aren't releasing a B-side comp. before a regular album because Elektra wants them to do something "solid" (I believe he used that word). But, maybe I am just misunderstanding what you are talking about. If so, please forgive me, your ever-lovin' buttknob. -*@*--Nola--*@*- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 12:57:21 -0500 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: Chicago area NPR Tucker (and other Chicago area folks), Your NPR station is WBEZ 91.5 fm. I checked their web page and All Things Considered is scheduled for 3 p.m. weekdays. Their number is (312) 460-9150. For anyone else, NPR has a great site where you can find out your local station, etc., at www.npr.org V. -------------------- Editor CHS Public Affairs UW-Madison ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: monopoof Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:46:13 -0400 (EDT) I plan on getting a lot of blank tapes and taping Monopoof (DC 6/96) for whoever and then people can send me money for the tape and shipping which will most likely be somewhere around $5 but I have yet to figure that out. I'm saving these messaggeas I get and will mail ya'all back later. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Re: Re: Show em fellas! Date: 02 Jul 1996 19:53:52 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine It was my understanding that superfueled freaksicle was totally blown off by Elektra. That they'll never release it, before or after the new album. We must find an address. And we must act. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:13:40 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: New Interp for Twisting? Or did I just pass gas? Brother JohnBejezus, you're brilliant! You said, in reference to the line "Slowly twisting in the wind": >I know what you are referring to but that line always gave me the mental >picture of the guy hanging from the gallows. Anyway, I just played the song and this sent me hurtling off into a totally new dimension where Twisting actually makes sense to me! At first I just figured that the guy in this relationship had actually hung himself, and that the girl was closing up the loose ends in his life, like turning off his pilot light, setting his goldfish, etc. She couldn't bring herself to look through all of his old things to find her db's records or Young Fresh Fellows tape, so she doesn't need them. But then I realized that it is probably just a metaphor, as is all of Their stuff. The relationship is over, and she's mad at him so she blows out the pilot light, sets the goldfish free, etc. (BTW, I've always thought it was a cruel ex, but it gets better.) In fact, she's so mad that she wants to see him dead, hanging by his neck. And now I've got this amazing mental video for the whole song! Every time John is singing about what the girl is doing, they show her doing those things, or something, but then right before he sings "Slowly twisting..." there's this drum crescendo and then a sudden serenity, and I see the explosion at the end of the crescendo as a visual of the instant that his neck snaps in the noose. Then, amid all of that happy music, you see this guy's body swinging on a rope, with a slow twist, with a big blue sky in the background. Sort of a Western motif, in fact, with gallows. It fits so well with Their tendency to put sad stories on top of happy music, in fact, that I can't imagine that their mental pix were any different than mine. Anyway, that is all. As you were. andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Mono Puff tour dates Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:48:35 -0400 (EDT) > Hey guys! I was wondering if someone could help me. All of my web > stuff is unattainable (DON'T get AOL _ever_!!), so I can't find dates for the > MP shows. Does anyone know if they are coming to Chicago (or somewhere in WI > or IN) any time soon??? Thanks! :) > tucker As far as I know that was it for Monopuff for a long while. The 3 city tour that is, DC, Philly, and 2 times in NYC. Flans is getting married on the 14th and doing the honeymoon thang and then TMBG is starting up in August for the new album big tour thing so I doubt Monopuff'll be around until at least next Spring or so. Course this is all speculation and I have no facts to back this. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: 120 minutes and Unsupervised Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:53:25 -0400 (EDT) > >Hey did anybody watch 120 minutes this morning? Was Mono Puff on this > >week? Will it ever? I taped it, but I'm to lazy to fast forward through it. I think I remember someone asking which Monopuff song was a video? It was the Dvbil Went Down to Newport as that is the EP, although at first I woulda thought Unsupervised would have been the single a while ago. But aparently that totally rockin' song the Devil is it. > > I watched 120 Minutes and MP wasn't played. For anybody that has AOL, > (and maybe you can find it somewhere on the internet on an MTV web site, if > they have one) you can look to see the new videos that they will play. I > didn't see it on the list, but I watched it anyway. > I finally got MP 'Unsupervised' today. After 15 stores, I was really > sick of looking for it, but I went into a "different" CD store and found it. > :) I was listening to it in my car, and has anyone noticed the similarities > between "Dr. Kildare" and No Doubt's "Spiderweb"? The beginnings are SO > similar!! It was really strange! Anyway, that's all for today. :) > tucker > Having not listened to these songs in a day or so I can't rmeember exactly how they compare (I have Dr. Kildare in my head but I don't have the exact Spidrweb song flowing in the brain). But I hope you're not comparing No Doub to Monopuff No Doubt really gets on my nerves but my administrator and my friend like them somewhat so I must grin and bear them, ahh well never was one for that punky-poppy sound or whatever they are trying to do. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:58:06 -0400 Subject: TMBG on ATC I was working all night in my office, wait... no, I was looking through the ATC web site when I remembered that my sister (a big fan of tmbg and public radio) said that tmbg was on ATC some time ago, I think that this was in 94, and if anyone knows the an approximate day or month, I can search their archives for the interview... Brooksie? nevermind Another thing, I remember that my sister said that they played "some song called tryptophane" and the ATC theme... whatever a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 16:28:51 -0400 Subject: shirts Yesterday Andy Puckett wrote: >If you're ever lonely, you can be pretty sure that you'll find a >good friend behind a TMBG shirt. That is so true. I took a course at U of MD a few summers a go and I saw somebody wearing a TMBG shirt (Pearl!!!) and I began talking to him. He was really cool, and we talked for a while about concerts which we had both gone to. Whenever I see somebody on the street or at the mall, or anywhere, and they're wearing a TMBG shirt, I ALWAYS go up and complement them on their shirt. They are usually all nice and willing to talk for a little bit. TMBG fans are the friendliest people on Earth!!! -Neal ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: recording Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 16:56:04 -0400 (EDT) I learned one good lesson whilst recording this show, talk as little as possible while recording. Not that we talked a lot but there are a couple parts where we can be heard. That speaker will pick you up pretty well even over the super loud singing and playing, wacky. Ahh well I also learned from Alex that a good way to clap whilst holding a recorder is to use your arm and clap it, just a tip for the future~! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jul 96 17:54:46 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: I'm in a Obvious Nowhere It has become evident to me that nobody goes to telenet anymore. Why? It's great chat and everyone should be able to do it! If you don't have Telenet, get it! Giants chat is great! we need a place where we can all chat! Another Idea, Brooksie, you should have a cowtown chapter in telenet. So people, go to it at: blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 Or on netscape at telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 GO! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 19:19:13 +0000 From: David Olson Organization: Shades of Grey Subject: DRE DJ??? Hey, Someone mentioned, recently, that a female WDRE (Long Island) DJ did the spoken-word part to Distant Antenna @ a MonoPuff show. Does anyone know who she was? I got hooked on TMBG back in 1985 listening to 'Don't Let's Start' on WLIR - the precursor to WDRE... Kinda weird... Best, David -- ----\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /\ \/ /./ \.\ \/\/ /---- ---\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /..\ /.< <> >.\ /--- -----/ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/.../ /...\ /...\/\/------ * trixter@pop1.channel1.com * ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:51:13 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Get TMBG on Radio Free Hello All! I've heard talk in the past about TMBG playing on local radio stations. The neatest radio station is located out here, called RADIO FREE HAWAII! The music it plays is determined entirely by voting. It plays anything and everything, but mostly alternative. Real alternative stuff. The point? You can vote from their web page! If everyone votes once a week, every week, we might be able to get a TMBG song on the chart. So if you come to visit, you'll hear it. Or if you don't visit, at least you'll make me very happy! As soon as you're done reading this message (or your digest), point your browser to http://www.lava.net/radio-free/ Make a TMBG song discovery, one that has potential. Stay away from Flood songs, because they are a bit old. I know they that they have John Henry and Lincoln, and the Power Rangers soundtrack. There's a better chance of getting a song on when Their new album comes out. Vote for Monopuff, too. I don't think Radio Free owns it yet (I keep trying to get Dr. Kildare on...) but if enough people vote for it they'll buy it. Radio Free is a lot better at responding to requests than MTV! Thank you for your patience. Sarah Cooke I'd rather be a matchstick than a lighter, I'd like to see the wood curl up and burn. If you wanna' touch the sky, you must be prepared to die, and I hate cough syrup, don't you? -Butthole Surfers ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jul 96 22:05:43 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: ATC I have gotten Mail from NPR saying that monopuff will be on thursday at 4:36:30 - 4:58:30. Hope this helps! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Show em fellas! Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 23:56:17 -0500 From: Mr Blue >it's just not >going to be called Superfueled Freaksickle. I remember hearing about this one (and the people at the local record store probally remember me asking them if it came in every week for about a month). That sucks it wont be releases. I guess that is the b-side comp? ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:06:34 -0400 Subject: I have a favor to ask Hey guys! I have a problem--I will be at the Taste of Chicago (watching Wilco, Paul Westerberg, and Del Amitri--woo-hah! woo-hah!) while the ATC thing is on. Can someone tape it for me (maybe someone in the Midwest--but I'm not chooosy) and I will send a tape, postage, etc. or trade boots, whatever. I really want this!! Thanks. :) tucker ------------------------------ From: GreyAutumn@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:23:02 -0400 Subject: TMBG Promotional Releases. As much as I hate to do it, I have decided to eliminate some of the redundancy inherent in my CD collection and find some new homes for my old promos. These three I am willing to part with: The first was released in 1989. It is a CD single for "Purple Toupee" and at first glance would appear to be an import. It comes in a slimline case, and has a bright green cover with "They Might Be Giants" in purple type and "Purple Toupee" in white. On the inside cover it says "Free The Expo 67", and is clearly labeled as a promotional copy. The disc itself has the serial number EPRO-190 marked inside the ring, and outside the ring it gives the song title in green and the band name in purple. The Bar None and Restless logos and addresses are listed on the fold over, and the small print clearly indicates it was manufactured here in the U.S.A. No b-sides. The second is a 1991 release. It is the CD single for "Hey, Mr Dj" and aside from the print on the disc (black only) identifying the title, artist, and record labels, there is little other information given. The inside ring lists the serial number as RPRO-009 and the outside ring identifies the disc as a promotional copy and identifies the song as being from the record "Misc T". There is no booklet or cover, only a white sticker with red print on the back giving the lyrics, and mysteriously misidentifying the serial number as RPRO-008. Again, no b-sides. The third and final is from 1992. It is the "Statue Got Me High" single and has the Lunar Rover & Antenna photo printed in silver and gold ink respectively. Black type over the top of that lists the song title and band name. The inside of the cover identifies the song as the first single and video from Apollo 18, and bears the Electra logo. The disc itself bears a picture of mission control rendered in silver ink, and lists the serial number as PRCD-8523-2. The lyrics are given on the back along with the identification that this is a promotional copy. No b-sides. Any inquiries, trade offers or the like should be sent to me directly (GreyAutumn@AOL.com) rather than the list, and if anyone out there would like to be sent a jpeg image of any part of these discs in hopes of better identifying them, I will be only too happy to provide them. Eric ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 00:49:33 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Trivia... I was browsing throught the tmbg ftp archives and I found the following questions... After reading through, I realized I only knew the answers to about 3 of them... try your luck... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out if my .sig *------------------------------------------------------------------------ TMBG EXPERT QUIZ ================ Twenty questions, all hard. You must have been to more than one show (around the NYC area) - before THEY got really famous - to answer these questions. I'll post the answers next month, or you can ask Bo Orloff (he probably knows). Most hard-core THEY heads do not have internet access. If I forget to answer the quiz next month, please remind me. 1. Which Sinatra film encouraged TMBG into show business? 2. What is John Flansburg's favorite part of the show? 3. Name the illegal nightclub in John Linnell's basement. 4. Which musician phoned in a guitar solo? 5. Finish this stanza: "...now there's no time for sorrow..." 6. What did the "zither guy" make for TMBG? 7. Which of the two Johns usually sings the romantic songs? 8. Who are the protagonists of "Everything Right?" 9. What is TMBG's favorite song? 10. What band originally released "Sapphire Bullets?" 11. Name TMBG's biggest fan (not me & not you). 12. Who used to open up for TMBG? 13. What is "the mouse," and when was it "out of the house?" 14. Where does my coffee get cold? 15. How much did TMBG charge for their original demo tape? 16. Which came first, little bird or little birdhouse? 17. What's "enough to cover the earth" with? 18. Who is "You'll Miss Me" written about? 19. Where can we locate the "Next Plane To London?" 20. Name the song about atomic energy. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 01:15:34 -0400 From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Trivia... At 00:49 7/3/96 -0700, Ruprecht wrote: >TMBG EXPERT QUIZ >================ >Twenty questions, all hard. > >You must have been to more than one show >(around the NYC area) - before THEY >got really famous - to answer these questions. > >I'll post the answers next month, or you can >ask Bo Orloff (he probably knows). Most hard-core >THEY heads do not have internet access. > >If I forget to answer the quiz next month, >please remind me. > >1. Which Sinatra film encouraged TMBG into show business? > >2. What is John Flansburg's favorite part of the show? Playing The Famous Polka >3. Name the illegal nightclub in John Linnell's basement. > >4. Which musician phoned in a guitar solo? Eugene Chadbourne >5. Finish this stanza: "...now there's no time for sorrow..." "...run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomorrow" >6. What did the "zither guy" make for TMBG? > >7. Which of the two Johns usually sings the romantic songs? John Linnell >8. Who are the protagonists of "Everything Right?" Lucy and Dezi Arnez >9. What is TMBG's favorite song? > >10. What band originally released "Sapphire Bullets?" Mahavishu orchestra...the song is a 27sec instrumental >11. Name TMBG's biggest fan (not me & not you). > >12. Who used to open up for TMBG? Brian Dewan >13. What is "the mouse," and when was it "out of the house?" > >14. Where does my coffee get cold? By Doc's sugar bowl >15. How much did TMBG charge for their original demo tape? > >16. Which came first, little bird or little birdhouse? > >17. What's "enough to cover the earth" with? > >18. Who is "You'll Miss Me" written about? > >19. Where can we locate the "Next Plane To London?" Leaving on runway number 9 >20. Name the song about atomic energy. Why Does The Sun Shine? Well, that's 10 answered out of 20...the question is how many did I get right? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 02:18:51 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Re: Trivia... >At 00:49 7/3/96 -0700, Ruprecht wrote: > >>TMBG EXPERT QUIZ >>================ > >>6. What did the "zither guy" make for TMBG? Brian Dewan made the structure on the cover of Lincoln ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-185 ******************************