Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-186 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 186 Thursday, 4 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 (none) Re: Trivia... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 ATC and WDRE Johns and moshing (how do we know?) Re: Trivia... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 Yet another variation on the Freaksicle story Guitar chord archives? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 email elektra... and stuff monopuff, unsupervised, tryptophane, devil, etc... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 Re: Get TMBG on Radio Free mailing elektra Boba Mail Free Stickers? Boba Mail part 2 Addendum to songs Re: Boba Mail Re: Get TMBG on Radio Free Mono Puff video Re: Boba Mail Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 18:41:52 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!!! >That makes me very sad to think that somebody just >attached They Might be Giants to getting beat up... That's a particularly >good way to get TMBG in bad favor. I mean, heck, you know how much the >Johns diskike the moshing, etc, at concerts; well, they certainly wouldn't >like that kind of stuff going on.... Why does everyone act as if they know the Johns personally? I mean, some people talk as if they talk to the Johns after every show about what happened at the gig and stuff. Do we really know how much both the Johns dislike moshing? Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 19:25:35 +1000 From: Tim Baby Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 >9. What is TMBG's favorite song? Hey, I heard that Sleeping In The Flowers was their favourite song. Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 11:50:24 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 > >7. Which of the two Johns usually sings the romantic songs? > > John Linnell Doesn't Flans sing Sleeping in The Flowers and Snowball in Hell, though? Mark ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 13:32:00 +0200 to: Of the various messages sent regarding Superfueled Freaksickle, the line that makes the most sense is >we need to know the address of Elektra records.... that way we can find out exactly what Elektra's plans are - I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release S.F. because they didn't release Misc.T. Surely Elektra have a web site (I haven't got access myself), so if some adventurous soul out there can get the address then we can find out what is going on - then we can decide whether mailing Elektra 'en masse' is worth it. What's the point of mailbombing them if they are just delaying release until after the new album? As a final note - if we can't get an Email address, don't forget there's always slow-mail. If we can't bury Elektra in Email we can always bury them in paper (what's another forest?). Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 08:34:21 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Trivia... I know one that hasn't yet been answered... >17. What's "enough to cover the earth" with? "A fresh baked yummy desert." From a demo of "Birdhouse in Your Soul," on the Power of DAS. At least I think that's what they're saying. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 08:01:44 -0500 (CDT) > happened at the gig and stuff. Do we really know how much both the Johns > dislike moshing? Because of a lot of statements the Johns have made at concerts regarding that very phenomenon. May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'~'~~""`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~~'`'`"~'"~"~~'`"`"~'`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:15:32 -0400 Subject: ATC and WDRE The Mono Puff ATC piece will air at 4:36 PM EST, there will be and 12 minute segment, a break, and then an 8 minute segment. The first name of the WDRE DJ is Marylin, I know this because when John Flansburg did his NYC interview on WNEW, he was supposed to also do a phone-in interview with Marylin on WDRE but things got a little screwed up. It was probably the funniest part of the entire interview=) -Dan --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Johns and moshing (how do we know?) Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 08:17:05 -0500 (EST) > Adam Poskitt writes: > > Why does everyone act as if they know the Johns personally? I mean, some > people talk as if they talk to the Johns after every show about what > happened at the gig and stuff. Some people *do* talk to them after shows. > Do we really know how much both the Johns dislike moshing? > Yes, they make it extremely clear over and over again. They: - ask people not to mosh - tell people not to mosh - tell people moshing to "stop trying to hurt each other" (i.e. moshing) - tell people to "cut that crap out" - make snide comments about moshers in the audience - suggest alternative forms of dancing, because they have asked people NOT TO MOSH - threaten to stop playing if people ignore their requests to STOP MOSHING Small, subtle things like that. If people would only listen... m@t ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:23:51 -0400 Subject: Re: Trivia... << 1. Which Sinatra film encouraged TMBG into show business? My guess would be Pal Joey, though I'm not sure if Sinatra was in it (I know it's a musical) or even if it was ever made into a film! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 09:13:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 OK, I'll try my luck...I'm a sucker for demonstrating how little I know... :) > > 1. Which Sinatra film encouraged TMBG into show business? > > 2. What is John Flansburg's favorite part of the show? > > 3. Name the illegal nightclub in John Linnell's basement. > > 4. Which musician phoned in a guitar solo? Eugene Chadbourne. > 5. Finish this stanza: "...now there's no time for sorrow..." "...run around in the rain with a hole in the brain 'til tomorr-owwwwww!" > 6. What did the "zither guy" make for TMBG? > > 7. Which of the two Johns usually sings the romantic songs? Linnell > 8. Who are the protagonists of "Everything Right?" Lucy and Desi ("The Long Long Trailer") > 9. What is TMBG's favorite song? > > 10. What band originally released "Sapphire Bullets?" > > 11. Name TMBG's biggest fan (not me & not you). The NYPD, maybe? Is this referring to the backwards message in I'll Sink Manhattan? I dunno. > 12. Who used to open up for TMBG? Brian Dewan > 13. What is "the mouse," and when was it "out of the house?" > > 14. Where does my coffee get cold? by Doc's Sugar Bowl > 15. How much did TMBG charge for their original demo tape? $6 > 16. Which came first, little bird or little birdhouse? > > 17. What's "enough to cover the earth" with? > > 18. Who is "You'll Miss Me" written about? > > 19. Where can we locate the "Next Plane To London?" > > 20. Name the song about atomic energy. WDTSS (is this question really supposed to be this easy?) 'Course, maybe it wasn't released yet when this quiz was first posted....I forgot to look at the date. Anyway. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 11:18:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Yet another variation on the Freaksicle story Okay, the last I heard about Freaksicle--NOT to be confused with the album coming out in the fall (anybody heard a title for that yet, btw?) --was that it is still going to be released sometime in early '97 (after Elektra had postponed it indefinitely last fall, when it was originally supposed to have come out). Now are the people who are saying that it's been cancelled just behind on the news, or *is* this new news newer than the what-I-thought-was-new-news about Elektra finally setting a date for it to be released? Or was that news ever official news at all? Is the fact that I'm losing my mind old news? Whew. Aww, never mind. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 13:19:29 -0400 (EDT) From: WAKKO WARNER Subject: Guitar chord archives? Organization: University of North Carolina at Asheville I was wondering if anyone knows any homepages or telnet locations that have the guitar chord archives (OLGA, for example). Please e-mail me personally if you have any information. Thanks! David P. Wilson dwilson@unca.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 12:25:07 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 > > > 13. What is "the mouse," and when was it "out of the house?" sounds like the line from Ladyhawke in the prison: "The mouse has left the house To escape some pain He's down the drain" you know...phillipe gaston and all that?! HAhahahsaha erik ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 11:49:45 -0700 (PDT) From: stewart1@lightspeed.net (The Infamous BS) Subject: email elektra... and stuff I didnae actually find an email address per se... but you can go to this URL http://pathfinder.com/@@8wiznAYAYu2Mqo7m/elektra/loband/mailroom/mail.html and drop them a line... also... I spent about an hour looking around that site... and I didnae see anything about new TMBG... if'n you want to look, go here... http://pathfinder.com/@@8wiznAYAYu2Mqo7m/elektra/ right o then... and could someone please tell me what is going on with Mono Puff on the radio... I know what time... what station... but what is it on what day? danke, Benjy >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< / \ Never. A Gear. Hydrodynamics. \ / >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 14:28:41 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: monopuff, unsupervised, tryptophane, devil, etc... I just got Unsupervised, and I can't believe that Tryptophane isn't on there! I'm hooked after hearing the Dial-A-Song version on the LoFi Experience tape (thanks Jon C.! =D), and I saw that it was on the Devil single, but do I really have to pay another $5 for that song? I just assumed it was on the album. What a bummer. Another song I'm diggin' on LoFi is King of Wingo...will that be on Their new album, I wonder? Hope so. Can't wait! Later, all. andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-185 Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 11:33:27 -0400 > >7. Which of the two Johns usually sings the romantic songs? : > : > John Linnell : : Doesn't Flans sing Sleeping in The Flowers and Snowball in Hell, though? Well, yeah, but I wouldn't consider Snowball in Hell to be romantic. Flans also sung semi-romantic songs, I'll Sink Manhattan, She's Actual Size, and Twistin'. Ah rest mah case. BlueDawg -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 96 19:36 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Get TMBG on Radio Free >Hello All! I've heard talk in the past about TMBG playing on local radio >stations. The neatest radio station is located out here, called RADIO FREE >HAWAII! The music it plays is determined entirely by voting. It plays >anything and everything, but mostly alternative. Real alternative stuff. The only station around here that plays TMBG is the college station, WQAC (otherwise known as "The Duck"), and they only played them when I requested 'em. Except once. And that one time, there was much rejoicing. :) crow -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "...Now he says he's seen the light and sold his to punk!" -The Sex Pistols "No One is Innocent" kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 96 20:03 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: mailing elektra As a final note - if we can't get an >Email address, don't forget there's always slow-mail. If we can't bury >Elektra in Email we can always bury them in paper (what's another forest?). Note about this - drawing on my experience with write-in campaigns, most people say that snail mail is taken more seriously than email. More effort involved. crow -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "...Now he says he's seen the light and sold his to punk!" -The Sex Pistols "No One is Innocent" kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 20:05:11 EST Subject: Boba Mail The Quiz was indeed very difficult. Does any one know of any additional song slated for the newest album I've got: Certain People I Could Name OIder Spiralling Shape Counterfeit Faker Edison Museum Rat Patrol Reprehensible On The Drag They Got Lost Any other newbies that I don't know of? Let Me Know! :-) Thanks, I love you all!! Boba Out! Matthew J. Ondrey "This could lead to excellence, or serious injury." -TMBG Boba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 14:45:36 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Free Stickers? Do all copies of the Devil EP come with Mono Puff stickers? Sarah Cooke I'd rather be a matchstick than a lighter, I'd like to see the wood curl up and burn. If you wanna' touch the sky, you must be prepared to die, and I hate cough syrup, don't you? -Butthole Surfers ------------------------------ From: "MATTHEW ONDREY" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 20:56:01 EST Subject: Boba Mail part 2 i would like some one to figure out the guitar part to WDTSS also if you do please mail it to my account!! Also, I am looking for some cool new bootlegs to add to my collection. Write me if you have any and I'll send you my list. Boba Out. Matthew J. Ondrey "This could lead to excellence, or serious injury." -TMBG Boba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 21:13:15 -0400 Subject: Addendum to songs Hello 41- Here are more songs that I know of that are new. Whether they will be on anything in short time is to be seen. SeXXY How Can I Sing Like A Girl? XTC vs. Adam Ant And the rest of the newer ones. Nit ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 21:15:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Boba Mail Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Jul-96 Boba Mail by "BOBA"@anubis.westmorela >Certain People I Could Name >OIder >Spiralling Shape >Counterfeit Faker >Edison Museum >Rat Patrol >Reprehensible >On The Drag >They Got Lost I think Sensurround is going to be on it. At least that's what they said at Fairfax... ------------------------------ From: smiley42@baka.com (Jonah Gold) Subject: Re: Get TMBG on Radio Free Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 22:02:56 +0000 > The only station around here that plays TMBG is the college >station, WQAC (otherwise known as "The Duck"), and they only played them >when I requested 'em. Except once. And that one time, there was much >rejoicing. :) My local radio station, WICB(also a college station), plays TMBG occasionally, and unrequested. So far I've heard the statue got me high, no one knows my plan, istanbul, snail shell, and don't lets start. For me, it's a welcome change from Alanis and the Presidents. ______________________________________________________________________________ "speak softly, drive a sherman tank. Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 20:09:12 -0700 From: jefftmbg@ix.netcom.com (Jeff P Gustafson) Subject: Mono Puff video I just checked out the 120 minutes web page and it claims the devil video will finally premier this week. And, in case you didn't know, you can download a video clip from the rykodisk page at http://www.rykodisc.com/3/features/monoaud.html ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 01:11:55 -0400 Subject: Re: Boba Mail ******************************************* I've got: Certain People I Could Name OIder Spiralling Shape Counterfeit Faker Edison Museum Rat Patrol Reprehensible On The Drag They Got Lost Any other newbies that I don't know of? ********************************************** Don't forget S.E.X.X.Y! :) tucker ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-186 ******************************