Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-187 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 187 Friday, 5 July 1996 Today's Topics: Songs on the New Album i'd like to make an apology... Re: Songs on the New Album Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-186 Hello again, what a mess. Semi-Definitive Moshing + UWA Unrelased Songs New releases. ATC Interview Re: Hello Re: New Interp for Twisting? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 11:45:22 -0400 Subject: Songs on the New Album >Certain People I Could Name >OIder >Spiralling Shape >Counterfeit Faker >Edison Museum >Rat Patrol >Reprehensible >On The Drag >They Got Lost New York City Oh, and about the name of the album. First, they suggested "Chimp," but Their manager said no, then They suggested "Swinging with the Chimps," but, once again, Their manager said no. Last I hear, They were thinging of calling it "Boro-Wide".... -Dan --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 12:07:38 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: i'd like to make an apology... i wasn't trying to flame anyone with my last message. if there was a sarcasm button on my keyboard it would have been held down and put on repeat for the entire message. i wasn't upset about not being able to go to the monopuff show and in fact i actually had to work and would have been docked pay if i missed it. again i apologize for any misunderstanding and will label clearly any future messages of mine with subtitles to explain sarcasm and anything else that could be misconstrued as being mean. feeling very bad, daniel ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: Songs on the New Album Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 16:34:41 -0400 Another song on the new album: Bells -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ---------- : From: DGently253@aol.com : To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org : Subject: Songs on the New Album : Date: Thursday, July 04, 1996 11:45 AM : : >Certain People I Could Name : >OIder : >Spiralling Shape : >Counterfeit Faker : >Edison Museum : >Rat Patrol : >Reprehensible : >On The Drag : >They Got Lost : New York City : : Oh, and about the name of the album. First, they suggested "Chimp," but Their : manager said no, then They suggested "Swinging with the Chimps," but, once : again, Their manager said no. Last I hear, They were thinging of calling it : "Boro-Wide".... : : -Dan : --Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 18:13:15 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-186 >>Do we really know how much both the Johns dislike moshing?<< last month at the Fairfax fair show, somebody was getting tossed around the crowd and Flans said "Hey, put that guy down! He never did anything to you!" That seems to indicate yes. Christy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 18:35:58 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose but someone else's email" Subject: Hello again, what a mess. Hey everyone! This is your faithful filthy scarecrow Mike Rose who has been away from the list cause some hacker wiped out the entire system which was providing me with email. I wanna say hi to all the new listers and I wanna say how hard it is not to receive list mailings every day like I used to. I also used to refrain from posting from someone else's email but now I figure to hell with it. You only live once. TMBG thoughts: Russ' video bootleg is cool, I hope on the next one we get more Flans-directed videos, and hopefully the They'll Need A Crane Arsenio appearance and the Jon Stewart appearance where I think they did Snail Shell. The "fast" version of Dirt Bike they do over the GMA credits is really great, too bad it was so short. Damn they're cool. The worst tmbg video ever must be Snail Shell. What a let down. I much prefer the Adam Bernstein videos. (My fave is Puppet Head, though Ana Ng follows closely). I hope maybe they'll let me do a video for them one day. :-) You think one day there will be an official release of songs from the Dial-A-Song golden era? I hope so, songs like Living Doll, Getting Sentimental Over You, Hi Honey I'm Home, Bread Hair...OOOH!!!I get wonky just thinking about it. Well I guess that's it for now. I eagerly await the new album, the tour, the EPs, and the TV appearances. It is gonna be a great fall. And I pray that Mono Puff comes to Toronto. Yeah right and John Flansburgh will mow my lawn. See ya kids! Mike ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 22:07:08 -0400 Subject: Semi-Definitive Moshing + UWA Okay, so we've been having this discussion on Their views on moshing... I was hoping that this excerpt from an article from Q magazine (which can be found at my web page, see the UWA at the bottom) would shed some light on the subject... *------------------------------------------------------------------------- That, one imagines, must be the hardest part. But whatever it is they do, it seems to work. The most unusual thing about a They Might Be Giants gig is the sheer reckless enthusiasm of the audience, a slam-dancing, pogoing mass of flailing arms and legs by the time the Johns climax their set with Birdhouse In Your Soul. Somehow, these two studious-looking, faintly geeky kind of guys with their tinpot instrumentation and their quirky little songs have managed to tap into the same spirit of abandon that is present at an Anthrax or Nirvana gig. Though nobody flies tonight, there have been instances of stage-diving at Giants gigs, which seems anomalous, to say the least. "It's a drag," says Linnell, "because it looks like it's a lot of fun to me, and the painful thing is we spend a lot of the show trying to get people to stop. We feel like we've become the parents of these bad children that are actually doing something we'd like to do ourselves! It's partly that people could get injured and also that they don't seem to be paying that much attention to us!" "Not even the parents," qualifies Flansburgh, "more like the crazy high-school custodian: Settle down, kids!" "We've become the vice-principals of rock!" *---------------------------------------------------- there you go, they are not entirely opposed to it... UWA (UnWanted Advert): Visit my TMBG web site, The Hall Of Heads, at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/ where you will find oodles of articles, list fun, and reversed sound bites... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 22:40:35 -0400 (EDT) From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: Unrelased Songs About the thread (Sorta) were people are talking about Unrelased songs that should be on the next album, I thought all of thoses were going to be rerecorded and relased on the LP Crap. Did they (or elektra) abandond this or is it scheled for a later relase date? ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: New releases. Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 22:43:32 -0400 (EDT) Here's the story, right from the front office. August/September there will be a single and accompanying album. This album _HAS NO TITLE_, and _IS NOT SUPERFULED FREAKCICLE_. There isn't even a working title according to the people I talked to. It will be basically 100% new material. Superfuled Freakcicle is still the title of the B-Sides album they want to release. Electra would not release it this year due to the above album, so it has been postponed to at least the first quarter of next year. As such there is no firm release date. After the album comes out there will be a US, and possibly a World tour. They are working on dates and cities now, and would not tell me anything saying they only have like 2 definate locations. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Jul 96 23:35 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: ATC Interview Well, I caught the ATC interview today. Cool! I hadn't heard any Mono Puff before, so of course I enjoyed it. They played "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head," "Felt Tip Pen," "Dr, Kildare," and something about distant antennas and orange mountains, the title escapes me. Anyway, could the person who I was going to make the tape for please email me? I got a tad overzealous with the delete key adn managed to delete your address. I did tape it, so if anyone wants a copy, I'd be happy to trade for other tapes or whatever. crow -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "...Now he says he's seen the light and sold his to punk!" -The Sex Pistols "No One is Innocent" kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 01:08:07 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Hello Hey gang, looks like we got a classic set of wet-behind-the-ears-I-know-of-THeY -through-a-catoon-The-only-CD's-I'll-ever-own-are-Flood-and-John Henrey fans. Let's get these new comrads into shape. (BTW: Kirsten, I am the fun loving Brother John Blackhawk, monk to the religion of Johnism, and you will find that we are only openly hostile in good fun. We love each other and you well. Don't take us seriously or we'll get the gimp. :> ) Soon, our friends shall know every note and lyric down to Why Does The Sun Shine and Ondine. With love and hostility in a Barney kind of way, I welcome our new Friends. SPOON! Brother John Blackhawk ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 01:20:11 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: New Interp for Twisting? Not to be rude, but if the meaning of the song as explained by Beezus wasn't evident to everyone then you may want to consider selling your brains to white mice and getting a computer to replace it. That is one of the few songs by the Johns that IS easy to translate. Brother John Blackhawk ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-187 ******************************