Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 19 Friday, 19 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: ID Re: the 9:30 club... Re: cowtown What's up with the T-Shirt Tickets for Boston show ID or it? Concert question... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-18 hah Re: ID darn Re: hah Re: darn Re: darn Jessica, the song Recycled TMBG THE CONCERT WAS GREAT!!!!! RIT concert and Extra Savoir-Faire horns Re: Recycled TMBG Hi to the list -- stupid questions to come! tmbg-list Digest #2-16 tmbg-list Digest #2-16 definied within an inch of it's life Id-a quasi-comprehensive defenition Re: help!!! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:27:25 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: ID > OKAY, OKAY, so I was wrong on a few points, but to me id sounded better, > and yes it was hindi, typo, and so my liner notes say what yours do, but In > my world... Maybe it was a misprint in the lyrics sheet - it's not unknown to happen. Or maybe I'm just wrong... Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 09:13:08 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: the 9:30 club... > Howdy all, > Tonight 4 of us from Loyola College are traveling to Washington DC > to see them again. Does anyone know if there is an opening band? And if > there is, what the heck is it? My sister went and she said that They got lost on the way there from HFS. Anyway she didn't tell me about the show so how did it go? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:16:59 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Re: cowtown I was listening to Live today and the song Shit town they make reference to cow town Is that cool I don't know. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:25:01 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: What's up with the T-Shirt Hey guys, Back from break, with a vengence. For Christmas I recieved a They T-shirt (The one with the Johns leaving a factory). I'm not some sort of pervert but Flan's guitar looks amazingly phalic. Someone back me up. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 07:32:24 -0800 From: alveajo@ix.netcom.com (Jose Alvear) Subject: Tickets for Boston show Howdy folks.. Does anyone need tickets for the Boston show on Saturday? I bought two tickets, but I won't be able to make it to Boston this weekend.. Argh! So was wondering if anyone needed it. Cheap! See all you people who are going to the Conn. show...! Later, Jose (who will be in Conn tonight however.) YAYAYAY! ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 08:32:08 MST Subject: ID or it? Well, I thought that the line was " a thing called ID" not " a thing called it" but I was wrong about "coffee shop" (really "copy shop") ! :*) ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Concert question... Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 08:02:44 -0800 (PST) Sup yall--- I'm hearing of all of the wwonderful concerts They're haveing right now and I was wondering if They were coming to the west coast? I almost went to see the Philly show cuz my relatives live out there but I ended up not going. Lemme know ok? (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:51:35 -0500 (EST) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-18 Okay, so a few days ago, I asked if anyone knew of any up-coming concerts in the NY area...what I should've said was the NYC area--Rochester's maybe just a little too far, especially for a workin' gal who doesnt' know where she is driving half the time ANYWAY and doesnt' know anyone who will drive with her because she is brand new to this part of the country to drive...New Haven is, of course, a LITTLE closer, but still...not QUITE do-able (how I envy all of you who are going there toninght!). Here's what works for me: Philadelphia (didn't I just miss a Philly show becasue it was the holidays and I was back in the midwest or something?), New Jersery (or at least the North-Eastern part...)and of course, good old New York. I mean , do They ever do a surprise, we're playing in 2 days, or tonight or something mlike that- type show in the Big Apple? ANy New Yorkers on the list?...ANyone else suffering in Princeton? Miss Joni ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:20:49 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: hah IT'S SNOWING, IT'S SNOWING! hah hahhhh. when it rains it snows, I wonder why Liam ------------------------------ Subject: Re: ID Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:09:59 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Mark M. Iles: > Maybe it was a misprint in the lyrics sheet - it's not unknown to >happen. Or maybe I'm just wrong... There are several misprints in the liner lyrics for JH; I believe I counted 6 when I first got the CD. Indeed, the person who actually typed the lyrics in for the album (Murph/Ilene?) was on this list (or rather, its previous incarnation at super.org/MIT) at the time, and noted that it is not easy to get the lyrics exactly right... I wonder if I have any of those message lying around. I vote for Id, btw. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: darn Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 12:01:00 PST you guys ar eso darn lucky!!! Getting to go to their concerts and all. I am sittin' up here in po-dunkville bellingham washington!!! ARGGGG. they played in seattle a few years ago but I couldn't make it!!! Man the east coast is cooler that I thought! I heard that they play ALOT in utah. maybe I'll have to move there. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:15:55 -0800 (PST) From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" Subject: Re: hah Hmm...must be a west coaster... :) Our own lil version of a "Nor'wester," if you will On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Liam Singer wrote: > IT'S SNOWING, IT'S SNOWING! hah hahhhh. > > when it rains it snows, I wonder why > > Liam > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 15:44:15 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: darn > you guys ar eso darn lucky!!! Getting to go to their concerts and all. I > am sittin' up here in po-dunkville bellingham washington!!! ARGGGG. they > played in seattle a few years ago but I couldn't make it!!! Man the east > coast is cooler that I thought! I heard that they play ALOT in utah. > maybe I'll have to move there. > Thats OK, you got your Seattle bands.... Hahahaha Just kidding :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 21:06:55 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: darn On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > > you guys ar eso darn lucky!!! Getting to go to their concerts and all. I > am sittin' up here in po-dunkville bellingham washington!!! ARGGGG. they > played in seattle a few years ago but I couldn't make it!!! Man the east > coast is cooler that I thought! I heard that they play ALOT in utah. > maybe I'll have to move there. Just be thankful you don't live in Britain. They come here about once every two or three years play about three concerts and go again. You can't get Misc T here, Back to Skull was missing a song and we've got no chance of understanding half of the references (how am I supposed to know that Nyquil is a cold remedy?). This cheer you up? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:20:52 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Jessica, the song Ben or Been here. Ye. Here. Ye. Yeah. The original Allman Brothers version of "Jessica" is now on Ben's Dial-A-Song! It'll be on Thursday and Friday, perhaps on Saturday. It's kinda long, but if you're curious, listen for a bit! TMBG-libidinally, Ben or Been Praising High Korzybski ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:23:42 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Recycled TMBG Ben or Been here, suggesting. Okay, say we have a dead John and a dead John. What do we have? No, not one dead Kennedy. We have nothing! (Well, nothing alive.) But say that the TMBG official religion dictates that the lead singers of They Might Be Giants will come back as animals. As what animals will John F. and John L. come back? Open for discussion. Ben or Been "The Squirrelly Semantics Guy" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:09:48 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: THE CONCERT WAS GREAT!!!!! this was my sixth concert, and i would have to say that this is my tied for my 2nd favorite show of theirs. #1 would have to be the George Wash. Univ show last year, (the one where, on the way, J&J drove past us, saw the TMBG bumper stickers and waved at us, and after the concert, where i met Brian and Tony.) this one was tied with the earth day concert of theirs. the only problem with the show last night, was that they had no horn section, but as usual their power and energy totally made up for it. but i got really close to the front and it was really packed but i was ok (i'm 6"0 and pretty big) but there were still some people bigger than. anyone who was there, i was/still am the guy with the curly black hair, a beard and i was wearing a hawaiian shirt over my tmbg t-shirt. DM's personal favorites of the show last night at the 9:30 club: 1. Hotel Detective (disco style) 2. Sennsurround (it was incredible live) 3. Birdhouse (but i think that Birdhouse is always what TMBG do best) there's something about the feeling that you get, when you look around and you look at TMBG and everyone in unison is jumping up and down while the whole club reverberates "WHO WATCHES OVER YOU?!?!?!" may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 17:07:56 PST From: rlskm@epix.net (clifton springs millers) Subject: RIT concert and Extra Savoir-Faire I would like to thank Adam Fistler for the information on the concert at RIT on Feb. 3. I went to RIT today to ask them about it, and it is going to be in the gym and tickets will be sold at the door. I'm calling next week to find out the prices, but it doesn't really matter. Does anybody else think that in the second verse of the song Extra Savoir-Faire (definately not one of their best) there is a message to bands that are trying to imitate TMBG? I'm probably out of my mind, but that's what it seems like to me when they sing "You can try to copy me but you'll fail. Now, you might think you're different but time will prove me right. When you wake up from your dream I'll be gone." I realize it is supposed to be about his way with ladies, but I can't help but think there's a second meaning. Does anybody else think so? Shawn Miller ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: horns Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 18:13:07 -0500 (EST) One other thing I forgot to mention about the DC concert. There was no horn section there! I wonder if this will be the case in CT, MA, NY, etc? Maybe they are taking a break. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:23:49 -0600 (CST) From: Silly Rabbit Subject: Re: Recycled TMBG On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > They Might Be Giants will come back as animals. > > As what animals will John F. and John L. come back? > > Open for discussion. > I see John F. as a rabbit, and John L. as a gazelle. Don't ask me why. But I think John F. could really end up as any cute fuzzy animal with big buck teeth, and John L. could pass for almost any bird-type thing. Maybe. -Jenny, who made the mistake of trying Vivarin (tm) today. ------------------------------ From: U.DAUFENBACH@cbr.aworld.de (Uwe Daufenbach) Subject: Hi to the list -- stupid questions to come! Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 0:00:00 GMT Hello all! I wrote to /alt/music/tmbg several times but I got no answer at all. Maybe because of the unreliable newsfeed of our former provider or maybe I was just (snif!) ignored? Or maybe my questions were too stupid, too often discussed etc. etc.? But to the point: I was always wondering what "She's Actual SIze" is about? What person or thing is meant with "she"? I guess it's something really obvious to a native speaker, but I read it over and over, tried to interpret it -- I don't get it. Or is it just "bunk"? Bye U w e ------------------------------ From: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com (Jay Brotz) Date: 18 Jan 96 16:21:00 -0500 Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-16 Organization: Med TechNet >> but...as with all great things, there is an error... >> >The next line : "it's a thing named 'it' in a bottemless pit you can't >see it >> >there." This self called nowhere doesn't have a definition. It is what >makes >> >each of us. >> The thing is named "ID" which is, I beleive the hindu word for I, look it >> up, as IO am sure to be wrong. > >I don't know if "ID" is the hindu word for I or not, which if it was it >would sure >make for a good interp. but in the words found in the JH CD it says: > "it's a thing named 'it'" >Of course if the "ID" up there was supposed to be a "IT" it would fit fine >and it >being the hindu word for I, it would fit with the song as well. > Yeah, in the CD lyrics it says "a thing namefd 'it'" but if it was id it would be interesting seeing as id is another name for the evil side of you...ya know, in those old Daffy Duck cartoons when he has an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, the psychiatric term for the devil is 'id' (the angel is your superego and the whole of the two is your ego). j -- | Internet: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com | Fidonet: Jay Brotz 1:260/95 | | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own. ------------------------------ From: JAY.BROTZ@bm.medtechnet.com (JAY BROTZ) Date: 18 Jan 96 21:27:57 -0500 Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-16 Organization: Med TechNet >> but...as with all great things, there is an error... >> >The next line : "it's a thing named 'it' in a bottemless pit you can't >see it >> >there." This self called nowhere doesn't have a definition. It is what >makes >> >each of us. >> The thing is named "ID" which is, I beleive the hindu word for I, look it >> up, as IO am sure to be wrong. > >I don't know if "ID" is the hindu word for I or not, which if it was it >would sure >make for a good interp. but in the words found in the JH CD it says: > "it's a thing named 'it'" >Of course if the "ID" up there was supposed to be a "IT" it would fit fine >and it >being the hindu word for I, it would fit with the song as well. > Yeah, in the CD lyrics it says "a thing namefd 'it'" but if it was id it would be interesting seeing as id is another name for the evil side of you...ya know, in those old Daffy Duck cartoons when he has an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, the psychiatric term for the devil is 'id' (the angel is your superego and the whole of the two is your ego). j -- | Internet: JAY.BROTZ@bm.medtechnet.com | Fidonet: JAY BROTZ 1:260/95 | | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 16:05:23 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: definied within an inch of it's life What pray tell really is a 'sapphire bullet of pure love'? that's it. Send no money now!! ___________________________________________________ How come nearly all historical events take place next to a souvenir shop? ************ Michael Carr ___________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: SBSquid@aol.com Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 23:25:03 -0500 Subject: Id-a quasi-comprehensive defenition Just wanted to see if I could detract from, or add to the "Id" debate. The id is one of the three components of the personality according to Freud. It is the reposuitory of our most primal desires, uninhibited by morality or reality. For instance, if we were governed by the id and decided it would be fun to fly, we would just jump out a window. No realism at all. It functions on the principles of deriving pleasure and avoiding pain. Incidentally, the ego is like the id, but constrained by the fabric of the real world and what can be done. The superego is our sense of morality. Not that the word is 'id' anyway, but... -Brendan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 21:56:08 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: help!!! On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > > hey lately I have hearda few songs by TMBG that are not on albums taht I > know of. > > Marion speaks, stormy pinkness. We go nuts at x-mas time. does any one know > where copies can be found? I am also interested in slightly less than legal > TMBG cd's. > any suggestions? You can get the au's of those songs from Dial-A-Song online at http://www.tmbg.com/ *------------------------------------------------------------- |garthi@teleport.com | "These go up to 11" -Nigel Tuffnel| |----------------------| ------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-19 *****************************