Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-191 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 191 Tuesday, 9 July 1996 Today's Topics: Devil Video NOOOOO! (none) Personal business Re: tmbg plane crash Re: TMBG chat page Re: Songs on the New Album Re: this is a disturbing thought... + OAT Re: Driving Music Weird dream Re: Mono on 120 Mono Puff vid - It was totally rockin'! dial-a-song-----missing Re: tmbg plane crash Re: Telent Re: video Re: Mono Puff vid - It was totally rockin'! Re: Mono Puff: ATC Interview, video, and OAT SpaghettiO's Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) Re: Driving Music; video; Burke spaghettiO's and Rush (Chubby Hubby) Monopuff/Tryptophane Mono Puff and Dentistry +OAT MIDI files... (sort of) Favourite Stuff hello? Re: SpaghettiO's Re: Mono Puff and Dentistry +OAT Re: Driving Music; video; Burke Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 03:14:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: Devil Video D'OH! I feel really stupid now. For two weeks, I have stayed up watching 120 Minutes with the sole purpose of seeing the new video, and what did I do tonight? Forgot to watch it. *smack self on head* Oh well, I'll just have to continue to e-mail in requests for it so I can watch it another time. Amy, feeling dumber than usual. Amy Greenlese * Spreading the words of _o:[ cowtown@tmbg.org * THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS = O| http://www.onu.edu/~stu1336 * throughout the world! =o_| ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Leda Glodell) Subject: NOOOOO! Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 07:01:04 -0500 I Cant Belive they played TDWDTN on 120 minutes!!! i watched it before, i remembered yesterday morning... but... STUPID ME!!! i rented a movie and watched it till 11:30 then went to sleep!!! HOW DID I FORGET!!! -Wyatt , who is hitting his head against his desk over, and over, and over again. ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:13:59 +0200 to: Just to add my two penn'orth to the "Flans leaves TMBG" thread - along with, at a guess, 90 percent of the list I would say the chances of the two Johns separating are very very low. However, to tell the truth I don't know that we, as fans, would suffer at all even if they did split up. I realise that nothing would be quite the same as TMBG, but Mono Puff (oddly enough) is very TMBG-like anyway. In fact some of the Mono Puff songs were on dial-a-song, so it would appear that at least some of the Mono Puff material was originally destined for a TMBG release. If the two Johns split up we'd probably just end up having two solo artists releasing TMBG-style material - which is one reason why I don't think a split would ever become likely. Somehow I don't see a future Rolling Stone headline saying "TMBG split due to musical differences!". Quite honestly, and tempting providence to absurd amounts, I think TMBG is one of the few bands about whom you can say "They're going to be around for a long time", simply because they enjoy what they do. For example, one thing that I've always admired about TMBG (and I'm no pushover in the admiration stakes) is the fact that they tour regardless of whether they're promoting the latest LP - it isn't a case of album/tour/rest/album/tour/rest...... all the time, as with many bands around. Fritz "We're on the last freedom moped out of nowhere-city. And we haven't even told our parents what time we'll be home!" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:49:52 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Personal business I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been out of state for the past few days because of a death in my family. I will be returning within a week. If you are waiting for a response to e-mail, a tape, or anything else, please be patient. I'll get on it as soon as I get home. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Yours, Jon -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: tmbg plane crash Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:28:27 -0500 (CDT) > Ahh one thing to remember, TMBG drive everywher, they don't take planes 8-) > Matt Well, a plane could have crashed on top of Their car, I suppose... ;) May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"~~~'~'~~""`"`"<<>>~""~"~"~~'`'`"~'"~"~~'`"`"~'`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 09:27:46 -0400 (EDT) From: LORD OF THE RINGS Subject: Re: TMBG chat page the url for the chat is http://www.charm.net/~adjutor/tmbg.shtml |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| MICHAEL BUCCHERI Adjutor@gigue.peabody.jhu.edu WWW http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/~adjutor |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| We are all doomed, just some of us are more doomed than others. |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| Whats that blue thing doing here? |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Mr. Klaw wrote: > Will whoever posted about the TMBG chat page on the web, please repost the > address. I got a little delete-key happy. Thanks > > Alex, hiding down behind the furnace. > > ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Re: Songs on the New Album Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 10:06:18 -0500 (CDT) DGently253@aol.com writes: > > Oh, and about the name of the album. First, they suggested "Chimp," but Their > manager said no, then They suggested "Swinging with the Chimps," but, once > again, Their manager said no. Last I hear, They were thinging of calling it > "Boro-Wide".... I think They need to get a new manager ;) -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 11:23:56 -0400 Subject: Re: this is a disturbing thought... + OAT In a message dated 96-07-07 21:59:50 EDT, davidmey@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu (DAVID A. MEYERSON) writes: > ok. i was talking to someone today and she told me about this friend of > hers who went to the Monopuff show in DC and had a wicked cool time. he > later said after the show that Flans should leave and stick with > Monopuff. Besides the fact that Mono Puff has a seemingly (to me) higher chance for popularity and rockability (that's not a word, but it sounds neat), I think that our good friend John Puff (kidding, really) can handle two bands easily enough, considering that it's always two years between tmbg albums, we get a MONO PUFF ALBUM ON THE OFF YEAR!!! That means we get more cool stuff faster... It also means that Linnell might do more writing for the following albums, and a lot of people seem to prefer his writing (me, I still don't know who _writes_ what, and that would be cheating)... OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): Everyone, call 1-800-DIAL-MTV every weekday at 5:30 EST and request Mono Puff's The Devil Went Down to Newport... If everyone makes to calls a day... BTW that video is killer, if you missed it, you better request it... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of parentheses ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 09:10:09 -0700 From: Franny_Glass@gomontana.com (Franny Glass) Organization: Main Street Online Subject: Re: Driving Music Yipee! I hope you enjoy your visit to our beautiful state of Montana. "Road Movie to Berlin" is a great driving song. Heck, any TMBG will do. -- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Sent via ExpressNet/SMTP(tm), Internet Gateway of the Gods! ExpressNet/SMTP (c)1994-95 Delphic Software, Inc. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 12:14 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Weird dream I had a dream last night that I was at a TMBG concert. I was having a great time, except that the secretary from the school guidance office who makes my life miserable was there too. Then the music started to sound fuzzy, and They were playing Led Zeppelin songs, and I woke up and my alarm clock was playing the classic rock station very fuzzily. sigh. About TMBG breaking up... They always struck me as the kind of guys who would do it until it wasn't fun anymore, and then they'd quit. Since they seem to be having fun right now, I predict that they'll be around for a long time. Kirsten has spoken -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 12:21:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: Mono on 120 > They finally played the Devil went down to Newport video :) If i didn't know > that Flans was in it, i wouldn't have been able to tell that was him tho :) > It was cool!! Yeah, what's up with the beard? I thought it was funny, and I would have recognized him, if only for the one scene where he had the ski cap off. What a thuroughly goofy video. I loved it, and taped it. -Lara ------------------------------ From: Tara9Blur@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:54:15 -0400 Subject: Mono Puff vid - It was totally rockin'! I just saw the video for "Devil went down to Newport" and loved it! It was excellent. I'm psyched to go out and buy "Unsupervised" now. I was a little wary about it before, thinking it might just be too they-might-NOT- be-giants for me, but if the rest of the album is as exciting as Devil, then I'll be good to go. I think my favorite thing about the song is the fakey Boston accent Flans has going through the whole thing... "Newpoaht" and "Suhfboahd" It cracked me up! Even better than A Self Called Nowhere... (the accent, that is) -Tara (2) ------------------------------ From: QALW47A@prodigy.com (MR TIM F MCGILLICUDDY) Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:27:27, -0500 Subject: dial-a-song-----missing Does anyone know why dial a song has just rang for the last 2 or 3 weeks without a message. Today I called twice, and both times it said check the number, and try again otherwise this number has been disconnected. So..........anybody know? Your pal tim @ @ < In the immortal words of Matthew James: >Ahh one thing to remember, TMBG drive everywher, they don't take planes 8-) And there are still water stains from Their last Australian tour. ;) -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Telent Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:53:14 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Mr. Klaw: >>What is the telenet address so I Can get on and chat and things!:) > >blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu You also need to know it's on port 3000. From a UN*X prompt, or using NCSA Telnet for DOS: % telnet blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 GUI telnets hopefully have boxes labelled appropriately. -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: video Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:55:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of MR TIM F MCGILLICUDDY: >have it, does any body know what John has on his face? It looks like >a fake beard and a top hat on his melon. Why does the devil look like Possibly a play on ZZ Top? -CB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 16:30:14 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really" Subject: Re: Mono Puff vid - It was totally rockin'! On Mon, 8 Jul 1996 Tara9Blur@aol.com wrote: > I just saw the video for "Devil went down to Newport" and loved it! It was > excellent. I'm psyched to go out and buy "Unsupervised" now. I was a little > wary about it before, thinking it might just be too they-might-NOT- be-giants > for me, but if the rest of the album is as exciting as Devil, then I'll be > good to go. I think my favorite thing about the song is the fakey Boston > accent Flans has going through the whole thing... "Newpoaht" and "Suhfboahd" > It cracked me up! Even better than A Self Called Nowhere... (the accent, > that is) > -Tara (2) > Actually the vocals on The Devil...are done by Mike Viola. Flans does the vocals on the alternate EP version, I believe. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 16:14:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Mono Puff: ATC Interview, video, and OAT > > I was watching the devil avi from the rykodisc site and and some the tmbg > > video clips from the eltra site and I noticed that in the staue got me high > > and the the the devil video flans is playing the same werid guitar. Has > > this guitar appered in other videos and is it a real guitar? > > > > From the Spring 1994 newsletter: > > -Where did you get that ultra cool metallic green rectangular > guitar with those gauges on it that you played "The Guitar" on in Ventura > CA? > Flans- "I had that guitar built for me by Mojo Guitar in NYC. I > actually designed it myself. For a 'prop' guitar it sounds pretty good." > Speaking of Flans' guitar fetishes, has anyone noticed that for the past couple years or so he's always (well maybe not always, but a lot) had some sort of price tag hanging from the tuning pegs of his guitar? What's up? Does anybody know the story? erik ------------------------------ From: Statue@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 17:24:49 -0400 Subject: SpaghettiO's Allright. I love three things in this world. They Might Be Giants, Tori Amos, and SpaghettiO's. I was wondering, since so many of us are alike, if any of you find yourself in the same place. Is there some sort of correlation between listening to TMBG and eating SpaghettiO's? Hmmmmmm.... Going to fix myself a can of O's, Neal ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 20:34:50 -0400 Well, I don't know about Tori Amos, but I do like SpaghettiO's....and Mono Puff, and TMBG, and the Libertarian party, and beer, and my Jeep, and Radio, and AMC automobiles, and root canals, and Rush Limbaugh, and OS/2, and the Internet, and good cigars, and Barq's Root Beer, and Linux, and my dog, and the Butthole Surfers, and Beavis and Butthead, and Football, and girls, and guitars, and Harry Browne, and XTC, and alt.tasteless, and the word "and", and beer, and I'm repeating myself.... -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ---------- : From: Statue@aol.com : To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org : Subject: SpaghettiO's : Date: Monday, July 08, 1996 5:24 PM : : Allright. I love three things in this world. They Might Be Giants, Tori Amos, : and SpaghettiO's. I was wondering, since so many of us are alike, if any of : you find yourself in the same place. Is there some sort of correlation : between listening to TMBG and eating SpaghettiO's? Hmmmmmm.... : : Going to fix myself a can of O's, : Neal ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 08:50:02 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) >Well, I don't know about Tori Amos, but I do like SpaghettiO's....and Mono >Puff, and TMBG, and the Libertarian party, and beer, and my Jeep, and >Radio, and AMC automobiles, and root canals, and Rush Limbaugh, and OS/2, >and the Internet, and good cigars, and Barq's Root Beer, and Linux, and my >dog, and the Butthole Surfers, and Beavis and Butthead, and Football, and >girls, and guitars, and Harry Browne, and XTC, and alt.tasteless, and the >word "and", and beer, and I'm repeating myself.... oh, and Buttknobs Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:10:50 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Driving Music; video; Burke > I'm going on a LONG trip to Montana next month, and I'm putting >together a mix tape of driving music, so I was wondering if I could get >some suggestions as to good tmbg songs to listen to while you drive. I'm >hoping that maybe it'll keep my little brothers occupied and prevent them >from driving me and the other occupants of the car completely nuts. I've always considered Jessica a good road song. It always seems so while I'm riding the overly air-conditioned Bus on the way home. About the video collection: Borders Books and Music can specially order it, maybe other places can too. Non-TMBG, but still good: Does anyone like James Burke? Later, Sarah Cooke "And we'd like to thank security for protecting us from each and every one of YOU!" -John Flansburgh 5/25/95 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 21:14:41 -0400 From: schiapp Organization: swc Subject: spaghettiO's and Rush (Chubby Hubby) > > >Well, I don't know about Tori Amos, but I do like SpaghettiO's....and Mono > >Puff, and TMBG, and the Libertarian party, and beer, and my Jeep, and > >Radio, and AMC automobiles, and root canals, and Rush Limbaugh, and OS/2, > >and the Internet, and good cigars, and Barq's Root Beer, and Linux, and my > >dog, and the Butthole Surfers, and Beavis and Butthead, and Football, and > >girls, and guitars, and Harry Browne, and XTC, and alt.tasteless, and the > >word "and", and beer, and I'm repeating myself.... i like ben and jerry's. not rush limbaugh, though. yuck. ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Monopuff/Tryptophane Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 20:13:59 -0500 Hey, all! I'm very excited because a few days ago, I finally got the Mono Puff CD and single! :) I was very happy. I just happened to go to the mall, and we just happened to go to Disc Jockey, and I just happened to look to see if they had them, and didn't expect to find anything, but there they were! I was floored! So, I immediatley had to buy them. :) My favorite MP song is Tryptophane. This is for many reasons, I think... It's just so cool, and stuff. The others are great too. :) So, if anyone wants copies I'm another one of us who will be willing to dub them for you if you send me a tape. Just e-mail me if interested. Have fun, everyone! :) *hugs to all* Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Mono Puff and Dentistry +OAT Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 21:16:45 -0400 Well, I had to get a crown replaced, and having Mono Puff playing in my head took my mind off the dental drill...every song except "What Bothers the Spaceman". ObOAT: TDWDTN Video....well, it wasn't what I'd expected, but I did like it. Flans looks weird with a Van Dyke (note, a goatee lacks a mustache). Is it just me, or did Satan look like a mutant Smurf? BlueDawg, who is thinking about growing a Van Dyke off of his mustache. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 21:59:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: MIDI files... (sort of) I was wondering if anyone can help me with a little problem I have... I have about 15 .SNG (song format from Sequencer Plus Pro or whatever it's called) files of TMBG songs lying around on my hard drive and I have no good way to convert them to normal MIDI files. If anyone can help me by converting them and making necessary changes, OR by directing me to some good DOS based MIDI software, I'd really appreciate it. The other little problem is that, with the exception of Space Suit, which has no vocal track, the vocal tracks have been left out on all the songs because I couldn't find a good way to insert them. [other than singing along, of course] But this shouldn't be much of a problem since others have also been "released" without 'vocals,' or whatever approximation thereof is used. So if anyone wants a list of the songs, I'd be happy to list them. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 22:42:02 -0400 Subject: Favourite Stuff I was saying to myself before this favourite stuff trend gets started... well before it does... check out http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6476/tmbtrnds.html for a list of _all_ the favourite things that were listed in the little thread we had months... Unfortunately, Monty Python and X-Files were accidently left out, but that's not my fault... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 22:49:38 -0400 Subject: hello? If anyone is on-line right now and has aol, there is a TMBG chat room in member rooms Arts and Entertaiment. WOO-HAH!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 22:54 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: SpaghettiO's Neal wrote: > >Allright. I love three things in this world. They Might Be Giants, Tori Amos, >and SpaghettiO's. I was wondering, since so many of us are alike, if any of >you find yourself in the same place. Is there some sort of correlation >between listening to TMBG and eating SpaghettiO's? Hmmmmmm.... Um, I'm not a huge fan of spaghettiO's, but several times I've found myself eating them while babysitting and trying to hook the kids on TMBG. True story! Unfortunately, they still believe the only real music is country. ack! Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 00:02:06 -0400 From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Mono Puff and Dentistry +OAT At 21:16 7/8/96 -0400, BlueDawg wrote: >Is it just me, or did Satan look like a mutant Smurf? Satan is supposed to be portrayed as one of the aliens from the Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Mankind". I'm sure you are all aware of this episode, where the aliens come to earth with a book entitled "To Serve Mankind" and start taking people to their planet in their spaceship. When the book is finally translated, it is discovered to be a cookbook...get it...to SERVE mankind! Well, it was spooky back in the 50's. Anyway...the Devil in the Mono Puff video looks and is dressed just like the aliens in the episode. In fact, isn't there a Mono Puff song called "To Serve Mankind"? Can't be just a simple coincidence...strange forces are at work here. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 00:05:52 -0400 From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Driving Music; video; Burke At 15:10 7/8/96 -1000, Sarah Cooke wrote: >Non-TMBG, but still good: Does anyone like James Burke? If you are refering to the host of such shows as "Connections" and "The Day The Universe Changed", then, yes...I do like him...even though in every show he basicaly come out and says "Hello, I'm James Burke, and I know everything...thank you, and good night." I still like him though. Alex ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-191 ******************************