Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-192 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 192 Wednesday, 10 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) Bad poetry To Serve Mankind Re: To Serve Mankind Re: MIDI Files Zither me this... Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) Re: James Burke Song abbreviations? Re: Song abbreviations? Re: Song abbreviations? Re: Song abbreviations? Bought some new CD's Unreleased songs Everything you know is wrong. felt-tip Stump II Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 11:08:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, BlueDawg wrote: > Well, I don't know about Tori Amos, but I do like SpaghettiO's....and Mono > Radio, and AMC automobiles, and root canals, and Rush Limbaugh, and OS/2, wow! i'm not the only one that enjoys a root canal! the whole numbness for many many hours is cool, but when that goes away and you start to chew, eww! i enjoy my o's as well, especially when i'm listening to the pink album. i was dragged to the mall the other day, but it didn't end up being so bad cause i found an apollo 18 promo poster! it's linnel "hiding" behind a sax, and flans behind what appears to be a french horn and trombone. very cool, pretty big, and only 6 bucks!! yeah!! oh yeah, my sis has been going to tmbg chat lately,(i'm having probs getting to it here, so if any of you computer nerds are out there, email me) and her screen name is mango. so if you run into her, say hi for me. about TDWDTN vid, i really liked it, and was saying at the beginning 'is THAT flans?" but, it was good. from looking at his disguise i thought maybe he was trying to make monopuff a success by the strength of the band and songs themselves, not by his popularity. just a thought. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:56:11 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really" Subject: Bad poetry Hey fellow freaks! Ruprecht and I are setting up a special page on his web site called Michael's Bad Poetry Corner, which will feature some of my bad poetry, and we want submissions from you. Please email me any bad poetry you may have written and if it is as bad as I hope it is, it will end up on the web page. Remember, don't try to be funny, cause that becomes obvious, if you have to try to be bad, then that means you are good and we don't want any of that. And of course, send only original poetry by you or a friend who has authorised its use in this way. If you plagarise another poet I will find you and shoot you. Anyway, send them to me and let us rejoice in the celebration of bad poetry. Anyone who posts poetry to this list shall be executed bloodily. By the way this message only went out to this list, I am a regular poster here, and if you don't know me, hey, Get to know me! Here, not there, under the rug, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 10:15:49 EDT From: "jason soltan" Subject: To Serve Mankind Sometime in the not-so-distant past Alex wrote: >Satan is supposed to be portrayed as one of the aliens from the Twilight >Zone episode "To Serve Mankind". I'm sure you are all aware of this >episode, where the aliens come to earth with a book entitled "To Serve >Mankind" and start taking people to their planet in their spaceship. When >the book is finally translated, it is discovered to be a cookbook...get >it...to SERVE mankind! Well, it was spooky back in the 50's. Anyway...the >Devil in the Mono Puff video looks and is dressed just like the aliens in >the episode. In fact, isn't there a Mono Puff song called "To Serve >Mankind"? Can't be just a simple coincidence...strange forces are at work >here. > > Alex I forgot to mention in my review of the Mercury Lounge show that John said that To Serve Mankind was based on that Twilight Zone episode... I knew I forgot something... As another point of interest, when they do this song live there is no synth. John gets the echo effects going, takes a step back from the mike, and starts bellowing. AAAh, aah a ooooh ohh ohh... very entertaining. Mike, you frighten me a bit. You seem to know far too much for your own good;) To the advocates of the Barenaked Ladies, THANKS! I just got the shoebox ep. I love it. Any recommendations about the best album to get first? To the advocates of the Mermen, THANKS! I also got Song of the Cows. What should be next? BTW are there any other Dead Can Dance fans out there in Theydom? Hope everyone is having a They day... -Jason (who, if he had a million dollars, would be rich.) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:11:57 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really" Subject: Re: To Serve Mankind On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, jason soltan wrote: > > I forgot to mention in my review of the Mercury Lounge show that John said > that To Serve Mankind was based on that Twilight Zone episode... > I knew I forgot something... > As another point of interest, when they do this song live there is no synth. > John gets the echo effects going, takes a step back from the mike, and starts > bellowing. AAAh, aah a ooooh ohh ohh... very entertaining. > > Mike, you frighten me a bit. You seem to know far too much for your own good;) > Well, yes, it's true, I am frighteningly brilliant, but I cannot seem to fathom just how my name got caught up in a reply to something that ALEX wrote. Is there something I am forgetting? Also, as I may have told Jason before, I can't remember, I like Dead Can Dance too. And BNL. Thank you. Listening to Thomas Dolby and Gary Numan, Mike, not Alex. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 12:26:31 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Re: MIDI Files With my macintosh, I can convert any song off any audio CD into quicktime format which is perfect quality sound. Although each song is about 4 megs...(it can convert midi files at excellent quality and they are only about 20-100K for about 5 minutes deoending on their complexity) it's pretty damn cool. Much better than MIDI anyway. Quicktime is also able to convert tons of things (including music files). If you send me the files, I may be able to convert them to quicktime format. (I also might be able to convert them into PC compatible format too (since quicktime is mac based). If they are dos files, please give me the dos creator code (so PC Exchange can recognize it and give it the correct information for Mac use). If you don't know it, I can probably still convert them to quicktime so send them on over to rclark@nccn.net. Hope that helps some! Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net, rclark@tmbg.org "It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." ______________________________________________________________________________ Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by subscribing to the "EvangeList" listserver! Send email to: or go to: . ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Tara9Blur@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 16:40:07 -0400 Subject: Zither me this... >6. What did the "zither guy" make for TMBG? I don't know if anyone answered this one yet or not, but the "zither guy" is Brian Dewan and he designed the cover of "Lincoln" for TMBG. -Tara ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: SpaghettiO's +OAL (Other Assorted Likes) Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 21:18:12 -0400 : : oh, and Buttknobs : Oh, gawd, no! Hate them almost as much as I hate Clinton -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 17:31:47 -0400 Subject: Re: James Burke >If you are refering to the host of such shows as "Connections" >and "The Day The Universe Changed", then, yes...I do like >him...even though in every show he basicaly come out and says >"Hello, I'm James Burke, and I know everything...thank you, and >good night." I still like him though. Wow! I used to love "Connections".... Why are you all looking at me like that? I just felt a need to say that I used to love "Connections". I know It's not TMBG related, but then neither is: >Well, I don't know about Tori Amos, but I do like >SpaghettiO's....and Mono Puff, and TMBG, and the Libertarian >party, and beer, and my Jeep, and Radio, and AMC automobiles, >and root canals, and Rush Limbaugh, and OS/2, and the >Internet, and good cigars, and Barq's Root Beer, and Linux, and >my dog, and the Butthole Surfers, and Beavis and Butthead, >and Football, and girls, and guitars, and Harry Browne, and >XTC, and alt.tasteless, and the word "and", and beer, and I'm >repeating myself.... So I guess, my little endorsement of "Connections" really isn't all that bad, huh? - Dan -- Another Nyquil Driver on the Information Superhighway ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 17:36:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Song abbreviations? In the last newsletter, there was a picture of an old set list from a show that looked like it happened in late '89 (when songs from Flood first started appearing, I guess)... anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what some of the other non-obvious abbreviations they use for songs are (yes, this is totally random and mostly irrelevant - ok, totally irrelevant, just a bit of extra trivia) - following from the pattern given, we can logically assume that The Statue Got Me High would be represented as Statue, or that Birdhouse in Your Soul would probably be Bird or Birdhouse, etc... but some of them are hard to guess at - is Meet James Ensor "Meet" or "Ensor"? Is the End of the Tour "End" or "Tour"? Things like that. I assume that there is usually someone who can see the set list at each show, and I was just wondering what people had noticed. (or am I the only one who even remotely cares about this kind of thing?) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Song abbreviations? Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 16:56:22 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Lawrence P Solomon: >pattern given, we can logically assume that The Statue Got Me High would >be represented as Statue, or that Birdhouse in Your Soul would probably >be Bird or Birdhouse, etc... but some of them are hard to guess at - is >Meet James Ensor "Meet" or "Ensor"? Is the End of the Tour "End" or >"Tour"? Things like that. I assume that there is usually someone who At the Madison show on March 31, we had the delightful position of being just behind the audio/lighting board. Naturally, they each had a copy of the setlist. We copied down the songs from there before the show. I can answer authoritatively on two: It's "BIRD" and "ENSOR". And I seem to recall from previous tours that it's "TOUR". At least at this show, things were pretty straightfoward. The trickiest would probably be SPIN/DRAG (Spin the Dial, the little radio tuning jam sessiony thing, and On the Drag, a song on the new album. One of my favs, BTW, even though I couldn't understand most of the words :) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:35:13 -0400 Subject: Re: Song abbreviations? This isn't an abbreviation, but it's kind of cryptic; while looking at the photo I took of one of the Mercury Lounge show setlists, I was reminded of how one of the new songs, "Reprehensible" (which is incredible, btw) was written as "Repr*h****ble, and I've wondered why ever since. Does anyone who's seen a more recent setlist know if it's still being written that way? Kay, who wonders how obssessed one must be to have a _picture_ of a setlist ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Song abbreviations? Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 17:50:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Kaylum@aol.com: >This isn't an abbreviation, but it's kind of cryptic; while looking at the >photo I took of one of the Mercury Lounge show setlists, I was reminded of >how one of the new songs, "Reprehensible" (which is incredible, btw) was >written as "Repr*h****ble, and I've wondered why ever since. Does anyone >who's seen a more recent setlist know if it's still being written that way? On the Madison 3/31/96 one, it's "REPREHEN". -CB ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Bought some new CD's Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 17:30:52 -0400 I finally bought Brain Candy, and I'm not sure that I like Spiraling Shape all that much... Haven't listened to the rest of the CD yet, but will, as I want to hear the Liz Phair song, too. I also bought Rancid's ...And Out Come The Wolves... Well, what can I say, it's very interesting...reminds me of Nirvana's Incestecide. "Time Bomb" is not a song to drive to (shift gears with the beat, push the gas pedal as hard as the bass pedal).....I hate heavy and catchy songs :) ObOAT: (Stands for Obligatory Other Assorted Topics) A logging truck overturned on one of the major roads here in Newport News today...I guess that he was trying to turn a corner *way* too fast, and tipped over. Logs were strewn a good fifty yards beyond the truck. I had to wait until they cleared the log in my lane (I was going the other way), damn policemen, I've crossed logs bigger than that! I drive a Jeep ferchrissakes! -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 20:29:58 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really" Subject: Unreleased songs I don't know if anyone else has ever done this, but I wanted to make a list of all the songs TMBG have ever recorded which have never been released on any album or EP (excluding recent Dial A Songs). So here goes, in no particular order: Getting Sentimental Over You Hell Hotel Become A Robot Weep Day Confusing His Mind I Need Some Lovin' Instrumental (?) Mrs. Cinderella Now That I Have Everything Hi Honey I'm Home How Much Cake Can You Eat Swing Is A Word (Six Feet Down) Cupid Counterfeit Fake Concrete And Clay We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime Don't I Have The Right To Be Loved (Now a Mono Puff song I believe) Mainstream USA Next Plane To London Free Bird Rebirth (reworked into I Blame You) Brainwashing Our Fighting Boys Bread Hair I Find It Hard To Believe Don't Make Me Kill You Again Not Too Clear Not Too Long Don't Know Why It Takes That Long The Power of TMBG Dial-A-Song Get Away We Love All The People Hiya The Writing's On The Wall There's A New Song Every Hour The King Of Wingo Operators Are Standing By I Might Be Giants, Too Kittens Mario Speaks I can't think of any more...other than Maine, which began as a Dial-A-Song track and eventually became a John Linnell State Song. I also left out I'm Def and Which Describes How You're Feeling, since they were issued on an EP, though the Demo Tape contains the full length version of I'm Def. Thank you. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 21:39:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Everything you know is wrong. Ok, it's been discussed lots of times here, but now we can find out for sure whether EYKIW is a TMBG parody. Weird Al is doing a chat on AOL on Thursday, July 11 at 7pm Pacific Time. The keyword is OLDS. I don't have AOL, so I won't be able to ask him myself, but if someone could find out... (of course, if he says it is a parody, then we'd need a way to tell TMBG...) You can get more info about it on one of the many, *many* Weird Al pages on the web... ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 22:14:00 -0400 Subject: felt-tip Did you guys get the lyrics to Felt-tip Pen that I posted a few days ago, or did I accidentally send them to the wrong address? I was just wondering, since nobody replied to my message. I got the lyrics at the DC Mono Puff show. Greg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 01:10:12 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really" Subject: Stump II Hey does anyone out there have Stumpbox II? Phil told me a while back that it was almost ready. Does anyone have his current email address? Thanks. Mike ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-192 ******************************