Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-193 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 193 Thursday, 11 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Dr. Kildare, etc... ska Charlie Daniels the singer controversy for Devil totally off topic Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-192 (none) Mono Puff chat Re: Magazine Re: Football +OAT Microsoft. Music Central Review Unsupervised Trading, anyone? Re: Unreleased songs and Devil went down... Mono Puff chat Dead Might Be Able To Dance monopoof Michael's Bad Poetry Corner Tmbg Wallpaper Not fair. Re: Unreleased songs and Devil went down... (none) (none) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 02:10:35 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: Dr. Kildare, etc... KTucker wrote: >>It's the one where someone called ska "mindless crap" or something to that >effect. >>Anyway, then someone related MonoPuff's "Dr. Kildare" to No Doubt's >>"Spiderwebs," and that someone was right, they do sound similar, because >>they are both SKA! Do you hear those rhythm guitar upbeats? Those horns? >>The drum beats on two and four? Roughly, that makes it ska! So, I >>certainly hope you're not implying that our very own John is a "mindless" >>entertainer, or I shall have to ask you to step outside! > > Well, I was the person that noticed the similarity between the two >songs. I don't claim to know _anything_ about Ska music, so....I guess that >I believe you. > If you are talking to me about the "mindless" entertainer, I never said >anything about that, so I don't know where you are getting that from. > Personally, I love the song (and the rest of the album). I just posed the >question to see if anybody else noticed that the two songs sounded alike. Oh, no. I wasn't implying that *you* said that John was mindless. I guess it does sound that way now. I meant that someone said ska was inherently "mindless music," and then it turns out that Flans has chosen a ska tune for his Mono Puff album (which is the truth...it's not your fault for comparing it to Spiderwebs), so therefore the originator of the mindless comment would be saying that John is mindless. That's all I'm saying...I've got no prob with you, bro. BTW, I'm much more enthralled by how much "Don't Break the Heart" sound like "Bad Days" by the Flaming Lips, from the newest Batman soundtrack. It's scary. Sorry to have to send this to the list, but since Tucker sent *his* to the list, I wanted everyone to know I'm not a buttknob. andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 02:15:05 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: ska >Matthew Coon writes: > >> Andy PUCKett writes: >> The drum beats on two and four? Roughly, that makes it ska! So, I >> >I believe that the majority of rock music emphasizes beats two and four. >Perhaps you mean accents on the offbeats? Well, I'm sure you're right, but the snare drum is definitely getting beat on when my foot hits the second and fourth beats of every measure. The cymbal gets hit on the upbeats, and the bass drum sounds to be on 2 and four. And are offbeats the same as upbeats? Otherwise, I don't know what you're saying. And believe me, I've noticed a trend in ska music, besides the neverending emphasis on upbeats on the guitar, keyboard, or whatever, to have drums getting beat on on 2 and 4. And I listen to the Toasters, the Pietasters, Skavoovie and the Epitones, and others, so I know more than the average bear, I'd say. Anyway, later all. andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 02:15:33 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Charlie Daniels >"BlueDawg" writes: >Just another example of EmptyV's ignorance. > >A band with Iggy Pop's bassist and half of They Might Be Giants doing a >Charley Daniels cover? > >I think not. Well, they *did* do an Allman Brothers Band cover, namely Jessica from the Why Does the Sun Shine? single, which is pretty close. TMBG called ABB a "Southern rock" band, and we all know what that means...closet country! =@ Aaaagghghgh! andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 03:01:57 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: the singer controversy for Devil >Tara9Blur@aol.com wrote: >> >>I think my favorite thing about the song is the fakey Boston >> accent Flans has going through the whole thing... "Newpoaht" and "Suhfboahd" >> It cracked me up! Even better than A Self Called Nowhere... (the accent, >> that is) >> -Tara (2) >> > Actually the vocals on The Devil...are done by Mike Viola. Flans >does the vocals on the alternate EP version, I believe. > > Mike Actually, the only mention of Mike Viola that I find in the cd "booklet" (would call it a lyric sheet, but they're no lyrics, except Distant Antenna...nevermind) is the following: Lead guitars and harmony vocals MIKE VIOLA That singing sounds way too much like our beloved John anyway. They were pretty good about listing special performances in the booklet: Vocal on Right NANCY LYNN HOWELL Melotron samples on Careless and Mankind AMMONIA D Voice on Distant ELINA LOWENSOHN Guitar on Heart and Right JAY SHERMAN-GODFREY etc ETC I doubt that they would forget to mention, "The Devil Went..." was sung not by John Flansy, but by this other guy who deserves the credit for such a cool vocal performance on such a cool song. andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 03:02:22 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: totally off topic "Mr. Klaw" wrote: >Satan is supposed to be portrayed as one of the aliens from the Twilight >Zone episode "To Serve Mankind". I'm sure you are all aware of this >episode, where the aliens come to earth with a book entitled "To Serve >Mankind" and start taking people to their planet in their spaceship. When >the book is finally translated, it is discovered to be a cookbook... They made that into a Simpson's Halloween special, too...although they changed the title of the book to something more blatant. It's sad, though, that I have not seen the classic eps, but am catching their plots through cartoons. I need some culture, man. andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:02:53 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-192 > I don't know if anyone else has ever done this, but I wanted to > make a list of all the songs TMBG have ever recorded which have never been > released on any album or EP (excluding recent Dial A Songs). So here > goes, in no particular order: > > Getting Sentimental Over You > Hell Hotel etc..... > Kittens > Mario Speaks > > I can't think of any more...other than Maine, which began as a > Dial-A-Song track and eventually became a John Linnell State Song. I also > left out I'm Def and Which Describes How You're Feeling, since they were > issued on an EP, though the Demo Tape contains the full length version of > I'm Def. Thank you. There's Frankenstein, too. Mark ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:07:33 +0200 to: >the Butthole Surfers, and Beavis and Butthead, and Football, and girls, and Football? I didn't think football was popular in the USA..... oh, wait a minute, do you mean that pansy game where all the players run round in all that sissy body-armour and wear too much eye-liner?? I thought for a moment you meant PROPER football ;) Sorry, couldn't resist it. TMBG content - If anyone out there is familiar with the author Terry Pratchett (for those uninitiated he's a bit like Douglas Adams except he does Sci-fantasy rather than Sci-fi), he's a TMBG fan. In the book "Soul Music" it features a band bearing the name "They're Certainly Dwarves", which is a play on words of you know who. This is not a wild interpretation, it's fact. OAR (Other Assorted Ramblings/Rubbish). Toast: you never know what you've got 'til it's gone - Discuss. Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 08:15:26 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Mono Puff chat >From: dtm@minerva.net (Kurt Brondo) >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >Subject: Mono Puff chat >Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 05:13:21 -0400 > > >Hay! Chat with Mono Puff Thursday, July 11th at 7PM EST in the Sonic >Lounge, located in the chat area on Sonicnet (http://www.sonicnet.com). >You will need Global Chat software to participate. If you do not have it, >you can download it off the Help Section located in the Chat area. If you >have an IRC Client then just point you browser to Sonicnet >(irc.sonicnet.com channel = lounge). If you need any other information, >just email me. > -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:52:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: Magazine I asked the guy who posted the message to repeat the name of the magazine in case I got it wrong, but it is Music and Computers magazine. I guess it's possible that I said it is called Computers and Music? I can't remember. I have not had a chance to look for the mag yet. ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: Football +OAT Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 08:58:57 -0400 : Football? I didn't think football was popular in the USA..... oh, wait a : minute, do you mean that pansy game where all the players run round in all that : sissy body-armour and wear too much eye-liner?? I thought for a moment you : meant PROPER football ;) Sorry, couldn't resist it. Have you ever actually played American Football? I've played both football and rugby competitively, and I must say that football is a much tougher game. Those pads, combined with the wonder of Astroturf, make a 235 lb. linebacker coming at you full speed quite a hit. It could be played without pads, but would be a much slower game. I got pretty good at when I was in high school. If you still think that football is a pansy game, I would ask you to watch the clip of Lawrence Taylor hitting Joe Theismann. Maybe a compound fracture of a thigh bone would change your mind about being a "pansy" game. Cricket is a pansy game, I know, I've played it. ObTMBGContent: What team to you think the Johns like? Three teams are possible, NY Giants and Jets, and the New England (Boston) Patriots. I say the Giants. :) ObOAT: Hurricane Bertha. We're up to 30% hit probability here in Hampton Roads, VA. I want so badly to see a Hurricane, after Erin just spit on me in Mississippi last summer. Going to tack down the dog and bring in the lawn furniture. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:27:46 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Microsoft. Music Central Review Unsupervised Mornin' people, In case you care, here's a review I found of "Unsupervised" on the net: [Unsupervised] Unsupervised Mono Puff r e v i e w [3 stars out of 4] Mono Puff is a trio fronted by John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, which is a way of saying it's a side project of a band that already sounds like side project. Even with bassist Hal Cragin on loan from Iggy Pop and drummer Steve Calhoun from Skeleton Key around to lend instrumental ballast, you know from the start that this isn't a record with any intention of becoming a hit ' or even mattering much. It's aim, according to Flansburgh's liner notes, is "to spread sunshine into the world," a droll manifesto for an album that sounds like it was assembled by rigging together spare parts in somebody's basement. With no real agenda besides amusing himself, Flansburgh's jack-of-all-trades musical approach has its charms. The record kicks off with a goofy surfin' guitar duel between Flansburgh and Mike Viola of the Candy Butchers ("Guitar Was The Case"), offers a jangly, downtown cowboy cover of an ode called "Don't Break The Heart" and a deliberately laconic take on Gary Glitter's "Hello Hello". Flansburgh references cultural icons as diverse as TV's "Dr. Kildare" (title only - it's an instrumental), baseball cult stars Doc Ellis and Bill "Spaceman" Lee, and the late great Richard Nixon; in one engorging spate of '60s trivia, a number titled "To Serve Mankind" (after a classic episode of "The Twilight Zone") employs voice samples from a mellotron to pay tribute to early '60s hi-fi test records. It figures that the one conventional ballad on the record, titled "Don't I Have The Right?" and sung with real feeling by Nancy Lynn Howell, is described by Flansburgh as "a radical departure." What's mostly relevant here isn't the songs themselves, anyway, but the smorgasbord of sonic details Flansburgh invests in them ' how "Dr. Kildare" seques from a muscular ska dance tune to a faux-hip hop bridge, with a shaky trumpet limping over the boom-box bass; or the way "So Long Mockingbird" channels a Paul Simon melody through tremolo guitars and a churchy-sounding Hammond organ. More clever than deep, Mono Puff isn't the kind of record that'll change your world. But in this era of self-centered complaint rock, it just might spread a little sunshine into it. by Mark Rowland -- ________________________________________________________________ | | | David R. Gonzalez | Phone: (617) 496-7854 | | Harvard-Smithsonian | FAX: (617) 495-7356 | | Center for Astrophysics | Office: (HEA) B-233 | | 60 Garden Street, MS-81 | E-mail: dgonzalez@cfa.harvard.ed | | Cambridge, MA 02138 USA | | |________________________________________________________________| ----- End Included Message ----- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:50:04 -0400 Subject: Trading, anyone? Hello fellow TMBGers! All I really have of TMBG is their cd's which isn't really much compared to the tremendous amount of Barenaked Ladies and Kids In The Hall things I have. So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trading? I'm especially looking for a copy of their '85 demo tape, but beggers can't be choosers, eh? If anyone's interested, email me at kdsinthhal@aol.com, okay? :) Make a little birdhouse in your soul! -sarah :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:35:19 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really" Subject: Re: Unreleased songs and Devil went down... On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > I don't know if anyone else has ever done this, but I wanted to > > make a list of all the songs TMBG have ever recorded which have never been > > released on any album or EP (excluding recent Dial A Songs). So here > > goes, in no particular order: > > > > Getting Sentimental Over You > > Hell Hotel > > etc..... > > > Kittens > > Mario Speaks > > > > There's Frankenstein, too. > > > Mark Yeah, Frankenstein...it was originally recorded by the Edgar Winter group, and the only available TMBG version is a live performance on the Live in NYC CD. I did not include it cause that version is available. Of course if there is a dial-a-song version, then Mark is right. As for the dial-a-song tracks I stuck to the two tape compilations. And I forgot to mention the Dial-a-song version of I Palindrome I, which for all intents and purposes is a different song. And on the topic of who sings the Devil Went Down To Newport, Totally Rocking, the EP's liner notes say "Guitar and vocal on 1 (Devil went down...): Mike Viola." I suppose that is open to interpretation, but here is supporting evidence: The totally different Devil, which is clearly sung by Flans, was produced by a different producer than the Rocking version, and recorded at a different studio. It also doesn't SOUND like Flans on Totally Rocking. If it is him then count me amazed at the range of his vocal abilities. Then again I have always found Dirt Bike to be one of his best vocal performances, for the level of restraint he displays, as if he is about to bust out at any moment. I have a feeling that to most of you it just sounds like he's singing quietly, so why should you listen to me about anything? Anyway, I guess unless we ask him, we will never really know. Mike ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Mono Puff chat Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:55:49 -0400 (EDT) > >From: dtm@minerva.net (Kurt Brondo) > >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org > >Subject: Mono Puff chat > >Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 05:13:21 -0400 > > > > > >Hay! Chat with Mono Puff Thursday, July 11th at 7PM EST in the Sonic > >Lounge, located in the chat area on Sonicnet (http://www.sonicnet.com). > >You will need Global Chat software to participate. If you do not have it, > >you can download it off the Help Section located in the Chat area. If you > >have an IRC Client then just point you browser to Sonicnet > >(irc.sonicnet.com channel = lounge). If you need any other information, > >just email me. Agh I'll probably be on my way to the Johnny Too Bad & the Strikeouts, Eastern Standard Time and MobTown Beat show at thjis point, doh. Almost worth it to miss it to talk to Flans, ah maybe the show'll be later. Ah well gotta love the ska shows. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Tara9Blur@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:19:38 -0400 Subject: Dead Might Be Able To Dance My fave Dead Can Dance song is Saltarello. It's super funky. -Tara (2) ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: monopoof Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:45:19 -0400 (EDT) Okies folks, I am going out to get a bunch of tapes and plan on beginning taping the DC Monopuff show for those who mailed me. It looks like there are quite a few so it'll take me a little while. It looks like $5 should cover all US/Canada orders, outside of N. America I'm not sure as of yet but I think only one person has mailed me Internationally. Probably just a couple more bucks. Much like Russ's video thang, I plan on getting all tapes (I think Maxell Type II 90 minute tapes) which is much easier as you only have to send money and/or bootlegs. I did have a few boot offers so I'll have to look at the messages again and find out who was sending me these. More info later. Matt P.S. Watch for Trainspotting July 19/22 coming to a theatre near you! -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:41:19 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Michael's Bad Poetry Corner As you have all heard, Mike (Rose) has started a bad Poetry Corner. The URL for it is http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ take a look, tell me what you think, send some bad poetry to Mike... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 19:34:42 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Tmbg Wallpaper Hi everyone, want to see how bored I was? I made some tmbg wallpaper in paintbrush. One is of the Flood logo, and the other is of the Bird Brain shirt. Let me know if u want one/both. i'll email them to u :) Very bored, AmY (or else there's nothing i want to do) =================== AmY seta@spectra.net amy@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 anangel@tmbg.org =================== C\_/ ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:25:28 -0400 Subject: Not fair. I went to my local big music store, to find Monpuff (which was $16.00, ca n you believe it??), anyway, I went in the "New Releases" section, and it wasn't there. Then I went to "M" under rock, and it wasn't there either. Noticing there were no employees handy, I continued my search through the store, but to no avail. Finally, I summoned up my courage and asked an employee where I could find it. After giving em a dirty look (whatever!) she took me to the "TMBG" section! I felt so bad! Mono Puff, a whole band in itself, was listed under another band's name (even if it is kinda related, and TMBG is 'Totally Rockin''. Still, me being to justice prevailer I am, mentioned this to the employee, and so I got to make a Mono Puff little section divider thingy. I wish I could've gotten a discount instead, but, oh well. I guess I made life a little better for the Mono Puff fans in my tri-county region. Going back to my secret lair now. Princess ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Unreleased songs and Devil went down... From: rdnayak@juno.com (Rajesh D Nayak) Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:29:29 EDT On Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:35:19 -0400 (EDT) "Mike Rose, really" writes: > Yeah, Frankenstein...it was originally recorded by the Edgar >Winter group, and the only available TMBG version is a live >performance on >the Live in NYC CD. I did not include it cause that version is >available. *--------------------------------- I'm not sure that it's on the Live in NYC CD that I have... I have the Hello version- is there another with Frankenstein? I'd kill to have that (well, not literally, but you know...) :) Thanks, Raj *-------------------------------------------------- Raj Nayak Administrator, The Outer LIMITS BBS rdnayak@juno.com *-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 07:20:08 +0200 to: >Have you ever actually played American Football? I've played both >football and rugby competitively, and I must say that football is a much Do you mean American Football and Rugby? Or PROPER football and rugby?? (grin) Besides, you can't judge Rugby (15 players drunk to the gills with no protection but a box and a grudge) against American football (several thousand players per team, dressed in a mobile tank, who only have to play fifteen minutes per game (snigger)). These brackets are getting too hard to handle. >tougher game. Those pads, combined with the wonder of Astroturf, make a >235 lb. linebacker coming at you full speed quite a hit. It could be >played without pads, but would be a much slower game. I got pretty good You're probably right - the only thing is (and here comes the clincher) it was a joke. Anyway, the fact that the audience have no attention span is no excuse for wearing body armour! ;) (muffled giggle) >mind about being a "pansy" game. Cricket is a pansy game, I know, I've >played it. Cricket? Pansy?? Right, joke over, outside now!!! :) But there again, it isn't as pansy as Baseball - we call it "Rounders" and only let small kids play it 'cos it's too sissy for anyone else. Ooh I love flamebaiting. >ObTMBGContent: What team to you think the Johns like? Three teams are >possible, NY Giants and Jets, and the New England (Boston) Patriots. I >say the Giants. :) Not knowing anything about the teams, I would say the Patriots - the Giants is just too obvious. Still not taking anything seriously....... Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 23:28:57 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Hey you guys, this is my first time doing this, so bare with me and tell me if I screw up. Well, anyways I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on John Linnell's State Songs. I have both of the new Mono Puff cds, which I really like, but I have never heard any of Linnell's solo work, so if anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Write me---------severe00@counsel.com "Oddball, where every ball is different" Thanks alot, Dan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-193 ******************************