Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-194 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 194 Friday, 12 July 1996 Today's Topics: if u didnt get wallpaper Re: Not fair [Mono Puff]. WE"RE GIANTS (LIVE AND RARE) TMBG @ SUNYA in Sept. Mono Puff on the Radio TMBG Bootleg Survey What sings who? Re: Survey Re: Survey Re: Not fair [Mono Puff]. Re: Survey Mono Radio TMBG How can you not like their first album? Re: Survey TMBG concerts stand Stooges sonic net Re: Survey Re: How can you not like their first album? Re: Survey Flans IRC chat! Survey Definitive New Album Contents List Re: Survey +OAT bacon, anchovie, and pasta omelette, light on the mustard Re: Survey mis favoritos Re: What sings who? Definitive New Album Contents List mis favoritos interpretation for stomp box Stuff Expert Quiz Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 03:33:19 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: if u didnt get wallpaper I just finsihed sending the wallpaper to people who asked Wednesday. 2 came back to me, and the addresses doesnt match anyone...so if u didn't ge tone of them or either of them let me know. and if u're on prodigy the flood one is too big. I'll send them out to whoever else still wants them :) =================== AmY seta@spectra.net amy@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 anangel@tmbg.org =================== C\_/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:46:06 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: Not fair [Mono Puff]. Princess wrote: >Finally, I summoned up my courage and asked an >employee where I could find it. After giving me a dirty look (whatever!) she >took me to the "TMBG" section! I felt so bad! Mono Puff, a whole band in >itself, was listed under another band's name (even if it is kinda related, >and TMBG is 'Totally Rockin''. Still, me being to justice prevailer I am, >mentioned this to the employee, and so I got to make a Mono Puff little >section divider thingy. I wish I could've gotten a discount instead, but, oh >well. I guess I made life a little better for the Mono Puff fans in my >tri-county region. Princess-- Not only did she give you a dirty look, she got you to perform company labor without pay! I'd say you're walking away from this situation with a little more satisfaction than your treatment warrants. Stand up for your rights, Kasey "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ From: Brett W Maguire Subject: WE"RE GIANTS (LIVE AND RARE) Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:27:23 -0400 Hi fellow Gianteers I was just looking around at CD BANZAI (http://www.cdbanzai.com) and = found the CD _WE"RE GIANTS (LIVE AND RARE). It was only available = through Japan. Does anyone know anything about it? Also, does anyone = know where I can find a TMBG t-shirt in the north-east part of the = States? Thanks! take care, Brett "every man dies, not every man really lives" -Mel Gibson in BRAVEHEART- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:52:30 -0500 (EST) From: your HIGHness Subject: TMBG @ SUNYA in Sept. TMBG will be performing at Fallfest at SUNY Albany on Sept. 26 (with Violent Femmes and others). I don't have the details yet (will be < $15 but don't know the exact price yet, or what time it starts, or what time they're on, etc.). I'll post more details to the list when I get them. -s. stacy@tmbg.org ____/__ __/ _ / ____/ / / I was eating a box of animal / / / / / / / crackers. It said "do not eat ____ / / _ / / __ __/ if seal is broken". Sure enough ______/ __/ __/ __/______/ __/ the _giraffe_ was fine.. -Dr. Katz ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:13:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Braaaaad Subject: Mono Puff on the Radio Heard Mono Puff on the radio last night in St. Louis. They actually gave it a prime time radio slot [It was like 5:30 or something] - The DJ seemed really excited about it. See, the world's not so bad. Even if sometimes MP gets filed under TMBG at the record store. ////> ____________ c-oo -BRAd \ - ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:16:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Jeffrey B Scanlon Subject: TMBG Bootleg If anyone has any bootleg type stuff they're willing to give away for fre or willing to sell, I'd appreciate some information. Thanks ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 04 Nov 1994 14:43:45 -0800 From: lstormo Subject: Survey These are mine, tell me yours! Favourite album:Flood Favourite song:Where your eyes don't go Favourite giant:Linnel Least favourite song:Extra-Savoir-Faire Favourite video:The Guitar Least favourite album:The first one ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:53:35 -0400 (EDT) From: The person you love most in the world Subject: What sings who? As to the question of whether or not John Flansburgh sings the vocal on "Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rockin')", in the video it is John that is doing the lip-syncing. This of course means nothing. Cindy Crawford does some of the singing in George Michael's "Freedom '90". So, it could very well be Mike Viola lending his voice stylings to the song, but that would mean that for some reason, Flans didn't want him singing in the video. To me this seems strange. I think I'll stop writing right now. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emmanuel Donio Sr. (Manny) | A Poem about Flowers and Death | donio@freenet.scri.fsu.edu | Sifting through the flower bed, hotcha@tmbg.org | And picking green and pink and red, | Then swiftly keeling over dead, Florida State University | Allergies, Allergies, Allergies... Tallahassee, Florida | *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 15:08:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Survey Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-Nov-94 Survey by lstormo@mail.nasboces.or >These are mine, tell me yours! >Favourite album:Flood >Favourite song:Where your eyes don't go >Favourite giant:Linnel >Least favourite song:Extra-Savoir-Faire >Favourite video:The Guitar >Least favourite album:The first one Favorite album: John Henry Favorite song: The Statue Got Me High Favorite Giant: John Least Favorite Song: You'll Miss Me Favorite Video: The Statue Got Me High Least Favorite Album: Misc t (relatively, that is) I can't wait to see the debate started by *this* thread... ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Survey Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:24:57 -0500 (CDT) Favourite album: The Pink Album Favourite song: Toss-up between See the Constellation and Lie Still, Little Bottle Favourite giant: Linnel Least favourite song: Stompbox Favourite video: Birdhouse (only seen Ana Ng, Istanbul, Guitar and Statue) Least favourite album: John Henry May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Not fair [Mono Puff]. Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 15:12:14 -0500 (CDT) > Not only did she give you a dirty look, she got you to perform company > labor without pay! I'd say you're walking away from this situation with a > little more satisfaction than your treatment warrants. But to perform and act of honour for anything in the name of the almighty Johns need not come with monetary reward... Been thinking about the whole scenario, and perhaps MP's placement among TMBG was merely a sign of someone showing off that they actually knew something about the band. Whereas someone might just say "Mono Puff? What's that?" and then make up a new sign, someone who knew that there was a connection between the two may wish to demonstrate that knowledge to someone else, and by grouping TMBG and MP together possibly could just mean that someone was alert enough to notice that there was the connection in the first place... Just some thoughts, May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 16:50:23 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) Subject: Re: Survey To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Here goes: Favourite album: Misc T Favourite song: Absolutely Bill's Mood Favourite giant: I won't pick sides, between my two favorite musicians Favorite video: Don't let's start Least Favourite song: Alienation's for the rich Least Favorite video: hmmmmmm if I was forced to pick one at gun point, I'd probably say puppet head "speak softly, drive a sherman tank, laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank" ~~~~~~Dan~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 16:56:30 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) Subject: Mono Radio To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Speaking of Mono on the radio, I am quite proud of my dilligent efforts to spread the work of Mono Puff. A DJ I know is quite fond of the Johns, and after harrassing him continually, I have got him to promise to play at least one Mono Puff song a day, which is pretty cool, I think "I hit my head, now I'm left handed" Dan ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 17:00:03 18000 The next time They come to my town for a concert (being the upcoming tour, I assume) I will be doing some definite stuff to prepare this time. I wasn't a die-hard fan the last time (only time) I went to their concert, so didn't know most of the songs :( There's a strange fact... me and my friend who are the only two die-hard TMBG fans around here we know, look a little like Flans (myself) and Linnelll (him), except younger... not too much, just a small resemblance. I think we shall wear half-black and half-white suits to the concert, maybe get some letters that say "T" "M" "B" and "G" and wear them and do the Ana Ng dance right in the front row. Hrm, just trying to get noticed by Them :) How does one go about getting set lists or talking to Them after a show, and such? I haven't been to more than one conert (them) so don't have any experience mingling with the band! -Tom i guess (The hopeful) P.S. How are the List T-shirts coming??????????????/ please respond to me! -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: QALW47A@prodigy.com (MR TIM F MCGILLICUDDY) Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:12:12, -0500 Subject: How can you not like their first album? To that guy who wrote the first SURVEY thingy, I think that Flood is the trendiest album, and if I had to pick my least favorite album (which I hate to do) I would pick Flood. One of my favorite's would definitely be They Might Be Giants (self-titled). I don't think the song which you picked to be the worst is. I'd have to say the Joshua Fried remix of the World's Address would be the worst. BUT, I would say that Where your eyes don't go is one of THEY's best. Why does everyone think Linnell is the best. You gotta remember that both john's have equally contributed to TMBG. Do you think he's better cause he's the skinnier GIANT. I don't know. I think one of their best songs is Rythm Section Want Ad. I also really like Stand on your own head a lot along with Snowball in Hell. My Evil Twin, Mammal, Subliminal, End of the Tour (which strangely was on the ZIMA cd), are all good songs too. Just felt like writing. Hello, tim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:51:50 PST Subject: Re: Survey From: niloc@juno.com (Colin T Kriebel) On Fri, 04 Nov 1994 14:43:45 -0800 lstormo writes: >These are mine, tell me yours! >Favourite album:Flood Favourite album: They Might Be Giants (The Pink album) >Favourite song:Where your eyes don't go Favourite song: Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes >Favourite giant:Linnel Favourite giant: I can never remember which is which... >Least favourite song:Extra-Savoir-Faire Least favorite song: (She Was A) Hotel Detecitve (Pink album version) >Favourite video:The Guitar Favourite video: Don't Lets Start >Least favourite album:The first one - BLASPHEMER!!! ;) Least favourite album: Jonh Henry ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: TMBG concerts Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:19:45 -0400 (EDT) > The next time They come to my town for a concert (being the > upcoming tour, I assume) I will be doing some definite stuff to > prepare this time. I wasn't a die-hard fan the last time (only time) > I went to their concert, so didn't know most of the songs :( > There's a strange fact... me and my friend who are the only > two die-hard TMBG fans around here we know, look a little like Flans > (myself) and Linnelll (him), except younger... not too much, just a > small resemblance. I think we shall wear half-black and half-white > suits to the concert, maybe get some letters that say "T" "M" "B" and > "G" and wear them and do the Ana Ng dance right in the front row. > Hrm, just trying to get noticed by Them :) That'd be pretty vcool! > How does one go about getting set lists or talking to Them > after a show, and such? I haven't been to more than one conert (them) > so don't have any experience mingling with the band! Good luck talking to them, there are so many people these days and the shows are getting bigger, it's very hard to talk with them, they usually run off. Getting setlists is not easy (believe me I've tried 14 times and have failed although my friend has managed to get 2! argh) It's just a matter of being right up front and asking the security gtuy for it first basically... Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: stand Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:31:33 -0400 (EDT) The best thing about Stand on your Own Head is the banjo, that just rocks. It is such a wonderful tune!!! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: 11 Jul 96 18:04:54 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Stooges I remebered that I was going to say something, but then I forgot. Now I remember 'cause the stooges are on. Anyway, After picking up my pink album t-shirt I had made for me, I popped over to the video store. Then I saw the Stooges compilations and the scary thing was, they had the same lettering as the front of the pink album! AIEEEEEEE! But to those people who want to know HOW I got the t-shirt, it's quite simple. Go to a copy store. If it's big enough, they'll have a silk screener. It's about 20 bucks and worth every penny. The front is the cover and the back is the snowman. I would suggest using the tape cover because the black letters look better on a white t-shirt. Rob ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: sonic net Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:37:00 -0400 (EDT) Heya, anyone know the site of where the sonic net thing'll be? Thanks Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 19:13:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Survey On Fri, 4 Nov 1994, lstormo wrote: > Favourite album:Flood oh, toss up between the pink album and a18 > Favourite song:Where your eyes don't go hypnotist of ladies or nothings gonna change my clothes > Favourite giant:Linnel can't pick between the gods > Least favourite song:Extra-Savoir-Faire oh do not forsake me > Favourite video:The Guitar ana ng > Least favourite album:The first one misc.t ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: How can you not like their first album? Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 19:53:49 18000 > definitely be They Might Be Giants (self-titled). I don't think the > song which you picked to be the worst is. I'd have to say the Joshua > Fried remix of the World's Address would be the worst. BUT, I would > say that Where your eyes don't go is one of THEY's best. Why does > everyone think Linnell is the best. You gotta remember that both > john's have equally contributed to TMBG. Do you think he's better > cause he's the skinnier GIANT. I don't know. I think one of their > best songs is Rythm Section Want Ad. I also really like Stand on your > own head a lot along with Snowball in Hell. My Evil Twin, Mammal, > Subliminal, End of the Tour (which strangely was on the ZIMA cd), are > all good songs too. Just felt like writing. > > Hello, > tim > > > Hrm... gee, don't pick each other's preferences to death!!! If you did that to all the replies this is gonna get, it's gonna cause a huge flood of junk :) I think a quick reply in the style of the 1st is good.... Ah well :) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:25:26 -0700 (PDT) From: stewart1@lightspeed.net (The Infamous BS) Subject: Re: Survey Favourite album: Lincoln Favourite song: Dead Favourite giant: yes. Least favourite song: Minimum Wage Favourite video: The Guitar Least favourite album: well... the one i listen to least is The Pink Album... >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< / \ Today I will wonder why people think they can change the world with a random bumber sticker. \ / >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: Flans IRC chat! Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 19:33:13 -0500 Hey! If you missed Flans on IRC just now, shame on you! It was GREAT! I'm = not going to put up a log, however (I think Ruprecht has that covered). = Flans says the next album, Factory Showdown, will have 13 songs = including S.E.X.X.Y., XTC vs. Atom Ant, How do you sing like a girl?, = and others! Later, "Istanbul"!!! ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 20:35:46 -0400 Subject: Survey Hello 41- Favourite album: The Pink Album Favourite song: See The Constellation Favourite giant: Tony Maiome (He signed my shoe) Least favourite song: For Science Favourite video: Puppethead Least favourite album: John Henry ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 20:53:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Definitive New Album Contents List Once again, the Definitive New Album Contents List. Songs followed by an "@" are confirmed by Flansburg himself. Certain People I Could Name @ * Older Spiralling Shape Counterfeit Faker Edison Museum Rat Patrol @ Reprehensible On The Drag They Got Lost How Can I Sing Like A Girl? @ SenSurround @ I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice Ringing Of The Bells @ XTC Vs. Adam Ant S-E-X-X-Y @ New York City @ Pet Name @ Exquisite Dead Guy @ I Can Hear You *I assume this is the song originally known simply as "Certain". Now, assuming that all of these are actually going to be on there, that adds up to 19 songs, which is about par for the course on a TMBG album. Can't wait to see how it turns out! /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: Survey +OAT Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 21:38:10 -0400 Favorite album: Ooh, that's tough...probably John Henry with Misc T a close Second Favorite Song: Snowball in Hell Favorite Giant: Flans (well, I get tired of Linnell's voice after awhile, and the fact that I love Mono Puff) Favorite Video: I, sadly, have never had the pleasure of viewing a TMBG video Least Favorite Album: Definitely Flood, with Lincoln close behind (ahead?) BTW: Please refer to the first album as the "Big Blue Dog Album." I don't want to have to repost my reasons to be blue, if still have them. The thread is as old as the Democratic Party's promises. ObOAT: Bertha....forecast has us on the east side of the storm Friday Night, Saturday Morning. I could be away for awhile, as we still live in the boonies, and if the phone lines go out, I'll be gone ObOAT II: There was an Earthquake in Virginia Beach this afternoon. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ------------------------------ From: Brett W Maguire Subject: bacon, anchovie, and pasta omelette, light on the mustard Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 23:19:38 -0400 OK- I guess I'll throw in my two cents: Favorite album- Apollo 18 Favorite Song- Fingertips (I'm having a heart attack, to be specific) Favorite Giant- Dopey or Grumpy :-) Least Favorite Song- Dig my Grave Favorite Video- Haven't seen any Least Favorite Album- Don't they all kick?! later, Brett "every man dies, not every maa really lives" -Mel Gibson in BRAVEHEART- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 23:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Survey Favourite album: Apollo 18 Favourite song: Either Absolutely Bill's Mood, If I Wasn't Shy, or See the Constellation Favourite giant: John Least favourite song: You'll Miss Me Favourite video: Never seen any (sigh) Least favourite album: Flood (well, the one i listen to the least) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 23:40:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: mis favoritos FAVE SONG: Nightgown of the Sullen Moon LEAST FAVORITE SONG (only if threatened with death/maiming): Pencil Rain FAVE VIDEO: They'll Need A Crane or Birdhouse In Your Soul or Ana Ng (no, I'm not indecisive!) FAVE GIANT: the fat one, you know, the one who looks like Danny Aykroyd, but fatter. FAVE GIANT (it's a tie!): Linnell, who kind of looks like an alien in the 120 minutes bit on the video bootleg FAVE ALBUM: nope, can't do it. LEAST FAVE ALBUM: Flood (but I still loooove it) -----------NOLA (Groove Child) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:06:41 -0400 From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: What sings who? At 14:53 7/11/96 -0400, The person you love most in the world wrote: > As to the question of whether or not John Flansburgh sings the vocal >on "Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rockin')", in the video it is >John that is doing the lip-syncing. Totally and absolutely untrue. John Flansburgh himself told everyone on IRC that it is indeed he that sings the vocal track for "The Devil Went Down To Newport (Totally Rockin')". Mike Viola joins him for the chorus only. Hopefully, this will lay to rest any doubt about who sings what for that song, since it came from the mouth of God, and isn't based on some vague speculation. By the way, the only reason John Flansburgh told everyone this information, is because Mike Rose and I asked him the question...and there is a transcript of the IRC chat somewhere that will prove it. Alex...shaking the paw of destiny ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Definitive New Album Contents List Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:47:58 -0400 (EDT) > Once again, the Definitive New Album Contents List. Songs followed by an "@" > are confirmed by Flansburg himself. > > Certain People I Could Name @ * > Older > Spiralling Shape > Counterfeit Faker > Edison Museum > Rat Patrol @ > Reprehensible > On The Drag > They Got Lost > How Can I Sing Like A Girl? @ > SenSurround @ > I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice > Ringing Of The Bells @ > XTC Vs. Adam Ant > S-E-X-X-Y @ > New York City @ > Pet Name @ > Exquisite Dead Guy @ > I Can Hear You Flans said on the Sonic net thing this evning that Rat Patrol and Counterfeit Faker will NOT be on the next album. I dunno when you heard Flans say Rat Patrol would be he must have changed his mind or else you misheard. There will be 13 songs on it and it will be called Factory Showroom (I think it was). Flans musta seemed so bombarded tonight by questions, that moderator didn't do a great job either. Ahh well, got some of the answers answered anyway. I guess if there hadn't been so much irrelavent stuff but just Monopuff (and as little TMBG stuff as possible as it was a Monopuff interview) it woulda been better. But then again it is IRC ;) See ya Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: mis favoritos Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:59:51 -0400 (EDT) FAVE SONG: Rhythm Section Want Ad LEAST FAVORITE SONG This question should be banned. FAVE VIDEO: Ana Ng or Birdhouse in your Soul FAVE GIANT: refer to Least Favorite Song FAVE ALBUM: Apollo 18 LEAST FAVE ALBUM: refer to Fave Giant I'd like to thank Nola for letting me use her format. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 22:32:49 -0800 From: kliever@proaxis.com (spam the man) Subject: interpretation for stomp box Heres an interpretation thats been flying through my head for awhile (a great empty expanse, I know), could the stomp box be a tv? if you listen, it sounds like it could be (a very anti t.v statement), so lets all go online instead! maybe this has all been been said before, so if it has, nevermind, I plead ignorance. On a similar note, could the "dancing, shouting......shreiks of pain, the lovely music.....smell of burning autumm leaves be religious ceremonies, if you go from the interp that this song is from the view of god, it makes sence. --- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 01:52:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Stuff Well, you'll have to excuse me (actually, no you won't) if I don't know what I'm saying, because I just read all my 247 messages right now and am trying to remember and ask questions. Are you sure it's the next tmbg album that has 13 songs and not the next mono puff album? Or maybe it's just 13 confirmed so far? Also, Live in NY does not have Frankenstein on it. I just bought the Edgar Winters album that has that song on it (when I bought Unsupervised), and I was surprised to find that the whole album is very good. Incidentally, I was also surprised to find that I recognised another one of the songs on the album. Free Ride. Any Power Rangers Soundtrack owners should recognise this as the song before Sensurround (which I always play by accident). Coincidence? Hmmm... RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 02:07:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Expert Quiz Well, I knew the answers to all of the questions that have been answered. However, I kind of wanted to see about something. I need to know if anyone else can back up what I'm saying. The question 'Where does my coffee get cold' should read 'When does my coffee get cold.' Or so I think. I always (ever since I first heard the song) thought that 'Doc's sugar bowl' was a bugs bunny cartoon or something (I had a real clear picture of a cartoon sugar bowl and Elmer Fudd running around, but I don't know if I'm right or not). So, "by" the _time_ doc's sugar bowl comes on, his coffee gets cold. Which is actually a pretty powerful image of a loser being depressed (my fat self and all), someone sitting at home (prolly in his underwear) watching cartoons and drinking cold coffee. But I don't really know, and it's late, so I don't remember what I was saying anyway. RS ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-194 ******************************