Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-195 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 195 Saturday, 13 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Survey Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-194 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-194 Re: interpretation for stomp box Mono Puff... Forgive my impatience....... Survey, IRC Log (Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-194) TMBG Video Bootleg Re: Mono Puff... What fools!!!!! Factory Showroom Re: Factory Showroom Mono puff chat Re: Survey Re: We're Giants Survey More Survey Don't I Have the Right? (none) monopuff Yet More Survey Re: Survey Re: Don't I Have the Right? Re: Survey Re: Stooges Will Pay $$ For Unwanted Hello CD's!! monopuff info Re:Survey Re: What sings who? What Flans said (none) Survey email Re: Survey Re: Survey Weird Al on AOL...i tried Pointfest quick question... Re: Survey Re: Devil video Re: What sings who? Re: boots, videos, rares, t-shirts, and the Hello club. etc. Re: boots, videos, rares, Re: boots, videos, rares, Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:32:18 -0700 From: CourToonie Subject: Re: Survey Here is my 2=A2. Favourite album: A18 Favourite song: Dinner Bell Favourite giant: Godzilla &/or Gamera Least favourite song: O Do Not Forsake Me Favourite video: Ana Ng & Statue Least favourite album: John Henry Favorite type of scarification: piercing Favorite word: Word (blame that one on Flans) Favorite cereal: Fruit Brute & Frosted flakes. Are there gonna be results posted about this thang?! Just wonderin'. -- = Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 18:06:26 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-194 Hey hey, To pick faves with all things TMBG is soooo hard. I'm always pretty reluctant to pick a fave album or song, but I usually do, then the next week it's different... Hmm... Well, here's my faves. >These are mine, tell me yours! >Favourite album:Flood Lincoln. Apollo 18 comes close >Favourite song:Where your eyes don't go Ana Ng >Favourite giant:Linnel They Might Be Giants >Least favourite song:Extra-Savoir-Faire They all rule, but Hot Cha never really sends me into slobbering frenzies. >Favourite video:The Guitar I've only got the video compilation, but I reckon Don't Let's Start is cool. but then again so is Ana Ng and Birdhouse In Your Soul!!! >Least favourite album:The first one John Henry for sure. Well, no. Miscellaneous-T. Then John Henry. Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 18:12:00 +1000 From: Earthy Rock Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-194 OI!!! >I think one of their >best songs is Rythm Section Want Ad. I also really like Stand on your >own head a lot along with Snowball in Hell. My Evil Twin, Mammal, >Subliminal, End of the Tour (which strangely was on the ZIMA cd), are >all good songs too. Just felt like writing. I agree totally!!! Especially with Rhythm Section Want Ad. I love that song so much. I get all hyped about it and stuff. I don't even know why I'm writing this. I guess I'm just excited that their are people that love some of the same songs that I do. Cya, Ad. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Adam Poskitt ! ! custer@ros.com.au ! ! I'm different, ! ! I don't care who ! ! knows it. ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: interpretation for stomp box Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 08:09:08 -0500 (CDT) > awhile (a great empty expanse, I know), could the stomp box be a tv? if you > listen, it sounds like it could be (a very anti t.v statement), so lets all > go online instead! maybe this has all been been said before, so if it has, GO ANTITECHNOLOGY!!! Napalm all the TVs! Nuke all the computers! YES! *sorry, couldn't resist* May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:27:38 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Mono Puff... Hey Kids... I'm about to start work on the design of a Mono Puff page that I may just call Newport. So I'm sitting here thinking of the explanation of the band that I'm gonna write and now I have questions. What year of hello did the Mono Puff demos come with? What songs were originally on the demo? Um, any other major amounts info you can give me would be helpful, but I think I have the band members bios down... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:42:20 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Forgive my impatience....... Mornin'! Is anyone going to post the IRC chat that occurred last night with Flans? Many Thanks, Dave Gonzalez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:17:22 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Survey, IRC Log (Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-194) Who (and where) posted the Log from the Mono Puff IRC chat? I was there ("ninja-bob") but I'd like to read it again. (I missed some of the info about the new TMBG album) And the survey: Favourite album: Apollo 18 Favourite song: A Self Called Nowhere or Birdhouse or See The Constellation or Dinner Bell or Letterbox (just put me down for "All Of The Above") Favourite giant: Flansburgh Least favourite song: Spider Favourite video: Never seen any :( Least favourite album: Flood (If I have to choose) -evan chakroff ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Fri, 12 Jul 96 08:20:59 MDT Subject: TMBG Video Bootleg ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 I just LOVE the toy piano in "Cowtown" BTW, response to the video bootleg has been great! I've sent out about 53 copies of the video bootleg so far. I'm attaching the information for anybody who is new to the list. ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default-app X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 8 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- The Book Of Mormon ============================================================================= ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default-app X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: tmbgtv.htm X-Sun-Content-Lines: 139 They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg

They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg Vol. 1

05-30-96
Date     *  Time    Show            Songs
--------    -----   -------------   ----------------------------
04/??/96 *  00:56   120 Minutes     "There's Just 120 min" song

03/??/90 *  02:15   120 Minutes     Interview (Barbara Bush)
         *  02:00                   Where Your Eyes Don't Go [live]
         *  02:20                   Puppet Head (video)
         *  02:00                   Particle Man [live]
         *  02:00                   Interview
         *  03:15                   Birdhouse IYS (video)

05/12/90 *  04:08   Letterman       Your Racist Friend [live]

05/??/90 *  02:25   Muchmusic       Interview segments

02/01/91 *  01:48   Tiny Toons #51  Introduction
         *  02:30   TT Music TV     Istanbul [animated]
         *  02:15   TT Music TV     Particle Man [animated]

04/13/92 *  00:25   Muchmusic       Introduction
         *  01:50                   She's Actual Size [live]
         *  03:40                   Interview (RPM appearance 4/14)
         *  02:15                   Mammal [live]
         *  03:32                   The Statue GMH (video)

05/19/92 *  01:00   Letterman       Intro:  Apollo 18 new album
         *  02:45                   I Palindrome I [live]

07/05/92 *  00:30   Tonight         Intro:  Apollo 18 new album
         *  04:20                   The Guitar [live w/Syd Straw, Branford Marcellus]
         *  02:45                   Interview:  pass the dude
         *  03:35                   The Statue GMH [live]

10/26/93 *  03:45   Conan O'Brien   Why Does the SS [live]
         *  05:15                   Interview:  Shatner's mug
         *  01:30                   show closing/thank you

10/??/94 *  01:04   120 Minutes     John & John guest hosts
         *  00:30                   Introducing the band
         *  03:25                   Snail Shell [video]
         *  00:45                   The Cramps video intro
         *  00:30                   "Reverend Horton Heat" song
         *  03:25                   AKA Driver [live]
         *  00:30                   words after Lucious Jackson vid
         *  00:35                   Frente video intro
         *  01:00                   "59 Minutes Left To Go" song
         *  00:30                   MC900' Jesus intro
         *  00:30                   Dambuilders video intro
         *  00:38                   words after Pale Saints video
         *  00:25                   Cranberries video intro
         *  00:41                   Jeff Buckley video intro
         *  02:30                   The End OT Tour [live/credits]

??/??/94 *  04:45   Good Morning    Dirt Bike [live]
         *  00:15                   Dirt Bike [live over credits]

10/31/94 *  03:30   Conan O'Brien   Nyquil Driver [live]

01/??/95 *  02:10   House of Blues  Istanbul [live]
         *  00:28                   Interviews
         *  02:07                   No One Knows My Plan [live]
         *  04:38                   The Guitar [live]

05/??/90 *  02:30                   Istanbul [video]

Don't Let's Start [video]

03/??/93 *  01:30   120 Minutes     J&J host "New Wave Marathon"
         *  04:10                   The Guitar (video)
         *  00:30                   Hotel Detective (clip)
         *  00:30                   Ana Ng (clip)
         *  00:30                   They'll Need A Crane (clip)
         *  00:20                   "Then We Die" [song]
         *  01:00                   Dial-a-song plug

========================================
How To Order TMBG Video Bootleg Volumes:
========================================

Vol. 1 , containing 2 hours of material, is now ready.

I don't think it's proper to get a profit from this project,
as it is a labor of love, and could not happen without the contributions
of many persons.  In other words, my time is free.

Just send me $6.50 for US/Canada, $8 Mexico, $9 other countries.
That should cover my cost for tape, mailer, and postage.
This is for regular tape.  Add $2 for "hi-grade" tapes.

Mail to:

Russ Josephson
1217 N Aspen Dr.
Berthoud, CO  80513-1040

(I don't like the idea of people sending me blank tapes or postage.
I think that it's a waste of postage, as I can get the materials myself,
and maybe get a bulk discount.)
People who contribute new TMBG material will get their copy free of charge.
Contact me to ask about trades.

Vol. 2 will be released as soon as I collect 4 hours of material.

Read what the critics are saying about it!
*------------------------------------------

"Hiya, i just got the video today, thanx it rules :)"
"... it DOES rock!!"      seta@spectra.net (Amy )

"I just got the TMBG bootleg videotape and watched most of it; it's so
    supercool!"  (Filthy scarecrow  flippy@yucc.yorku.ca>

"it's the grooviest thing ever!"    Rensink, Brenden - S"

"It's great!"
"... it is wondyful!  There is so much on it that I have never seen.
It's really cool to be able to see the talk show appearances that came
on when Flood and Apollo 18 were new.  It's so funny to see John and
John and there early nineties hair and they look younger."
    (Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child  nola@tmbg.org)

"... IT ROCKS! I recommend it ..."  Ira Adler 

"...it's pretty cool..."   Ryan Clark  (rclark@nccn.net, rclark@tmbg.org)

"I highly recommend the video bootleg if you haven't ordered it
(really nice job, Russ!!)"      Jason Gohlke 

------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Mono Puff... Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:34:05 -0500 (EST) Ruprecht writes: > > What year of hello did the Mono Puff demos come with? What songs > were originally on the demo? 1995. For more information, check out John Relph's fine Hello Club discography. A pointer may be found at www.tmbg.org m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:35:25 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: What fools!!!!! Mornin'! OK....are you ready for this one?!?!? MTV still has the Mono Puff song listed as "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"........ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Here's the address in case you have not seen the video yet: http://www.mtv.com/music/120min/ Dave Gonzalez ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:55:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Factory Showroom An hour after I post my list and it goes out of date already. :( My question is: if so many of the songs they've been playing live recently aren't showing up on the album, what's happening to them? Will they end up as B-sides or just dwindle away into oblivion, never to be heard or played again? I seem to remember that all the new songs they played on the JH-mini tour ended up on the album (then again, my memory just might be bad...) I hope that the rejects do get spots as B-sides. Also, what was this about JKP ending up on Factory Showroom? I missed the first 45 minutes of the thing. :( /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:02:25 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Factory Showroom Would someone, ANYONE JUST PLEASE, FOR PETE'S SAKE, POST THE IRC CHAT WITH FLANS?!?!?!?!?!?!? ahem....sorry...got a wee bit out of control..... my apologies, Dave Gonzalez > From particle@servtech.com Fri Jul 12 10:59:42 1996 > Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:55:48 -0400 (EDT) > X-Sender: particle@cyber1.servtech.com > Mime-Version: 1.0 > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > From: Joshua Hall-Bachner > Subject: Factory Showroom > > An hour after I post my list and it goes out of date already. :( > > My question is: if so many of the songs they've been playing live recently > aren't showing up on the album, what's happening to them? Will they end up > as B-sides or just dwindle away into oblivion, never to be heard or played > again? I seem to remember that all the new songs they played on the JH-mini > tour ended up on the album (then again, my memory just might be bad...) I > hope that the rejects do get spots as B-sides. Also, what was this about JKP > ending up on Factory Showroom? I missed the first 45 minutes of the thing. :( > /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ > | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | > | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | > \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:17:10 -0700 From: jefftmbg@ix.netcom.com (Jeff P Gustafson) Subject: Mono puff chat The mono puff chat transcript is on the web at: http://acm.cs.umr.edu/~jferg/monopuff.html hope this helps all of you who missed it. ------------------------------ From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 13:19:31 -0400 Subject: Re: Survey Favourite album:Apollo 18 Favourite song:It's Not My Birthday Favourite giant:I dunno...I'll say this: I like the songs that Linnel sings better than the ones that Flans does. Least favourite song:Toddler Highway (yeeechhhhhh) Favourite video:Istanbul Least favourite album:Flood ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:31:40 -0700 Subject: Re: We're Giants Brett W Maguire writes: > >I was just looking around at CD BANZAI (http://www.cdbanzai.com) and >found the CD _WE"RE GIANTS (LIVE AND RARE). It was only available >through Japan. Does anyone know anything about it? It has been reported that the _We're Giants_ CD is actually a repackaged _Miscellaneous T_. -- John ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:56:02 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Survey Favourite album: Flood Favourite songs: Birdhouse in Your Soul and I Palindrome I Favourite giant: John Flansburgh Least favourite song: O, Do Not Forsake Me Favourite video: Don't Lets Start Least favourite album: I like all of them. Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net, rclark@tmbg.org "It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." ______________________________________________________________________________ Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by subscribing to the "EvangeList" listserver! Send email to: or go to: . ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: 12 Jul 96 14:04:25 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: More Survey As if you hadn't had enough.... Fave Album: Lincoln Fave Song: NY version of why does the sun shine Fave Video: Puppet Head Fave Giant: Flansie (I get sick Of John L.) least fave song: Narrow your eyes Least fave album: hmmmm Flood. There. That oughta do it ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Don't I Have the Right? Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 14:16:00 -0400 (EDT) I asked Flans on the sonicnet chat about this song and more specifically about the part where Ms. Howell says her coffee explodes and Flans said that they had been watching a French Film where someone poured milk into coffee and it looked like the coffee was exploding. As far as the name Monopuff, he said that he was in some store or something and he saw this girl with this one puff of hair and thought to call it a monopuff. He then went on to name the band this. He said Careless Sant was NOT about Christmas, it was not a particularly christmasy song and that Santa had just happened to be a character in it. That's all I remember, anyone else remember anything else? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 13:23:35 -0500 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) <> Brett, This is just a Japanese import of Misc T. That's it. V. -------------------- Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen Editor Health Sciences Public Affairs UW-Madison ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: monopuff Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 14:33:23 -0400 (EDT) One other thing I asked Flans that I forgot to mention in my last post. Dan Levine, who was the bass player taking over for Hal Cragin whilst he was on tour with Iggy Pop could be added to the band officially if they have the money to do it. I asked this because I didn't know if Hal was a trombone player and as there seems to be a bunch of songs that use the trombone and keeping on Dan after Hal got back could be a good thing. Flans just seemed to think it was a matter of funds. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 14:51:46 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Yet More Survey Fav Album: Apollo 18 Fav Song: She's An Angel Video:Birdhouse In Your Soul Giant: Linnell Least Fav Song:Lie Still, Little Bottle Least Fav Album: Hardly ever listen to the whole John Henry album **Added bonus** My first They song: Subliminal **Added Bonus** =================== AmY seta@spectra.net amy@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 anangel@tmbg.org =================== C\_/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 14:55:09 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Re: Survey Fav Album: Lincoln Fav Song (right now): Spiralling Shape Fav Giant: Linnell (although Flans was sooo cool for doing the chat things) least fav song: She Was A Hotel Detective (Original Version) Fav Video: I've only seen Istanbul :( Least Fav Album: Is there such a thing? Brother JohnBejezus * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Here is my sig. My sig is here. Don't ask questions of the inquisitor. * The end is near. Not the end of the world or the nation or even the day * just the end of my sig. Now we all exist as a series of 1's and 0's. * The binary Universe is here. So is my sig. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:02:21 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: Don't I Have the Right? > He said Careless Sant was NOT about Christmas, >it was not a particularly christmasy song and that Santa had just >happened to be a character in it. That's all I remember, anyone else >remember anything else? He said that the second verse of Careless Santa was written as a crazy alternate to the first. he said that its a cheap device he uses a lot that yields good results. Oh and he said that we should get new info club newsletters in about a month :) AmY =================== AmY seta@spectra.net amy@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 anangel@tmbg.org =================== C\_/ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Survey Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 14:35:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Lawrence P Solomon: [Lawrence's favs deleted] >I can't wait to see the debate started by *this* thread... It can't be any worse than the last 300 times we've done this. ;) -CB ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:51:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Re: Stooges Robert Grabill Jr. said: > Then I saw the > Stooges compilations and the scary thing was, they had the same lettering as > the front of the pink album! Do you mean the Three Stooges, or Iggy and the Stooges? -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 12:54:46 -0700 From: willb26@earthlink.net (Will Bryant) Subject: Will Pay $$ For Unwanted Hello CD's!! Hello (no pun intended) TMBG'ers -- I am looking for Hello CD Club subscribers who only subscribed to get the TMBG-related titles in the series, and don't mind parting with titles you don't like, or never listen to. I will pay $20 for the Minus Five EP (1993), $15 for the Andy Partridge EP (1994), or $15 for the Freedy Johnston EP (1995). If some kind soul is willing to part with all three, I will pay $60 for the set. I have a buyer that is interested in extra copies of the Frank Black EP as well. Please send replies by private E-mail and not to the list. Thanks!! ///////WB willb26@earthlink.net ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: monopuff info Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 16:55:15 -0400 (EDT) Heya all, Any Horowitz had asked me about this and I hadn't officially said what was on this boot, so here's info. The length is between 65-70 minutes I'd say approximately. It is an audience recording so don't except Soundboard quality here. It is not bad thoughh because there were under 75 people there so there wasn't a lot of interference. As for the songs: Nixon's the One guitar was the Case Hillbilly Sister To Serve mankind Oddball Careless Santa Everything Happens to Me Felt Tip Pen Dr. Kildaire Introducing the Band So Long Mockingbird Distant Antenna Don't Break the Heart What Bothers the Spaceman The Devil Went Down to Newport Bad Liquor Unsupervised New York City Some Flans Q&A Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: smiley42@baka.com (Jonah Gold) Subject: Re:Survey Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:49:16 +0000 I already replied to the survey, but it bounced for some reason, so I'll do it again. Favorite Album:Apollo 18, at the moment Favorite Song: Ummm, I guess that would be either I Palindrome I, She's an Angel, or They'll Need a Crane Favorite Giant: I tend to like songs where Linnel sings more, but I have no idea which one's cooler. Favorite Video: I haven't seen enough videos to tell. Least Favorite Song: Window Least Favorite Album: Flood, or Miscelleneous T, If that counts as an album(it's really a b-side collection if you want to get technical). ______________________________________________________________________________ "speak softly, drive a sherman tank. Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank." -They Might Be Giants Jonah Gold ______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 18:16:21 -0400 (EDT) From: The person you love most in the world Subject: Re: What sings who? Yes, I know. When I wrote that it is John doing the lip-syncing, I meant that that is most likely an indication that John sang the song. Sorry to have confused you. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emmanuel Donio Sr. (Manny) | A Poem about Flowers and Death | donio@freenet.scri.fsu.edu | Sifting through the flower bed, hotcha@tmbg.org | And picking green and pink and red, | Then swiftly keeling over dead, Florida State University | Allergies, Allergies, Allergies... Tallahassee, Florida | *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Mr. Klaw wrote: > At 14:53 7/11/96 -0400, The person you love most in the world wrote: > > As to the question of whether or not John Flansburgh sings the vocal > >on "Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rockin')", in the video it is > >John that is doing the lip-syncing. > > Totally and absolutely untrue. John Flansburgh himself told everyone on IRC > that it is indeed he that sings the vocal track for "The Devil Went Down To > Newport (Totally Rockin')". Mike Viola joins him for the chorus only. > Hopefully, this will lay to rest any doubt about who sings what for that > song, since it came from the mouth of God, and isn't based on some vague > speculation. By the way, the only reason John Flansburgh told everyone this > information, is because Mike Rose and I asked him the question...and there > is a transcript of the IRC chat somewhere that will prove it. > > Alex...shaking the paw of destiny > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 18:43:08 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really" Subject: What Flans said Hey all, for me one of the big revelations of the Flans IRC from yesterday was a response to one of Matt's questions. Matt asked Flans what he thought about bootlegs and Flans replied that he was "flattered." He also said in reference to whether there would be a studio recording of the fast version of WDTSS, that you'd just have to boot it to get a copy. So there you go, Flans apparently has no problem with people booting the shows. So my position is, as long as we all trade and money never changes hands, let's all boot away. I know it's been a source of great pleasure for me. Friend to all, Mike ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 19:12:37 -0400 Could someone please post the set list for the Fairfax Fair TMBG show? Thanks, Greg ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 16:35:52 -0700 Subject: Survey Here goes: Favorite Album: They Might Be Giants (or the "Pink Album" or "Big Blue Dog", whatever) Favorite Song: Absolutely Bill's Mood (very Dionysic) and Extra Savoir Faire (it's fun to Tango to) Favorite Giant: Jolly Green (wasn't that him on "O Do Not Forsake Me"?) Least Favorite Song: Santa's Beard Favorite Video: Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head (OK,so I've only seen a few) Least Favorite Album: A18 ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: email Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 20:03:23 -0400 (EDT) Could Fritz in Germany please email me? Thanks. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 20:04:52 -0400 Subject: Re: Survey << Favorite Song: Absolutely Bill's Mood (very Dionysic) and Extra Savoir Faire (it's fun to Tango to) Finally, someone who likes ESF! It's probably not one of my all-time-faves, but it's a great tune, and I'm sick of it being bashed--how can you resist those laughing horns? >Favorite Giant: Jolly Green (wasn't that him on "O Do Not Forsake Me"?) LOL!!!!! >Least Favorite Album: A18 Well, I must disagree there--no album with "I P I," "See the Constellation," "Turn Around," "Fingertips," (I could go on!) could possibly be my least favorite. Count me among the "no such thing" group. The best I could do would be Least Polished--Misc. T., but even that's got some great stuff. Kay, apologizing for adding to a much-too-long-already thread ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 20:56:37 -0400 From: Betty Schiappa Subject: Re: Survey At 04:35 PM 7/12/96 -0700, you wrote: >Here goes: > >Favorite Album: Lincoln >Favorite Song: either "I Palendrome I" or "Saphire Bullets of Pure Love" > >Favorite Giant: Linnell (its his voice...when i'm sure its him, that is) >Least Favorite Song: Hot Cha >Favorite Video: "Birdhouse In Your Soul" I know, but I saw it the first time I ever watched 120 Minutes >Least Favorite Album: Miscelleneous T > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 21:05:39 -0400 From: Betty Schiappa Subject: Weird Al on AOL...i tried I have an AOL account and I signed on to see that "Weird Al" was on, which reminded me of what someone on the list was talking his song "Everything You Know Is Wrong." They wanted to know if that song was a parody of They Might Be Giants. So, I went to ask him, and I asked him if it was a parody. I asked about 30 or 40 thousand times, but, sadly, got no response. Time is a lot of money on AOL, so I have up. Sorry. Personally, I think its a bit of a rip-off. A terrible, awful, gross rip-off, but a rip-off nonetheless. Anthony ------------------------------ From: NyQuil99@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 21:15:00 -0400 Subject: Pointfest Can anyone help me get tickets to pointfest next month? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:38:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: quick question... ok, so i'm just wondering... i've seen on matt's setlist from the monopuff boot that they played New York City... i have heard it said that this is a Cub cover... anyway...why was it included on the list of songs that will be on the new TMBG album...? is this crossover or confused info...? or am i just...well, ... ok, bye! --fransburgh ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jul 96 23:09 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Survey > ><< Favorite Song: Absolutely Bill's Mood (very Dionysic) and Extra Savoir > Faire (it's fun to Tango to) > >Finally, someone who likes ESF! It's probably not one of my all-time-faves, >but it's a great tune, and I'm sick of it being bashed--how can you resist >those laughing horns? Besides, who can resist a song that starts out "When I walk down the street most guys look like elves/ I don't mean to put them down, but they do"? This line cracks me up every time. I always think of it when I'm walking down the street. Hee hee... And people wonder why I wander around town singing under my breath and giggling... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 23:40:49 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Devil video I just introduced my girlfriend to THeY and Mono Puff and I had the whole "I stayed up all night every night last week for that damn Mono Puff video" complaint going and she ends up calling me monday and says "That video was pretty cool. There was an alien going out on a date." I was pissed that I had missed the video. But my question is "Is there an alien in 'The Devil...'?" I also have to tell you about a trippy experience I'm now having. I recently bought a Panasonic 3DO REAL from my friend and I nearly tripped out the cool graphics (the spinning tie dye screen) go great with Tryptophane and Totally Remade, especially when you're stoning. ;) BTW- I shall soon have the Bird t-shirt, the Sailor sweat shirt, and the Millionaire Shot Glasses from the club. I only regret that they don't still have the truck that they had in the issue before the holiday one. Also, I still haven't found the address for the bootleg video. Could someone mail that to me? Brother John Blackhawk "Cause time between the oddballs is so very long" Mono Puff ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:25:07 -0400 From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: What sings who? At 18:16 7/12/96 -0400, The person you love most in the world wrote: > Yes, I know. When I wrote that it is John doing the lip-syncing, I >meant that that is most likely an indication that John sang the song. >Sorry to have confused you. Oh...sorry...my mistake, but then again, I am easily confused...no, confused isn't the right word...I'm honoured...no, honoured isn't a word at all...what language am I speaking? Hello? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:44:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Jul-96 by gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virgini >Could someone please post the set list for the Fairfax Fair TMBG >show? I think this is correct (someone posted a set list before and I copied it down up to the point I missed - my tape starts with Snail Shell) Subliminal Twisting Don't Let's Start Why Does the Sun Shine? S-E-X-X-Y Counterfeit Faker Nyquil Driver Meet James Ensor The Guitar Spider Birdhouse in Your Soul Snail Shell Spy (maybe some other song, too - in the improv at the end Flans was singing something, but I couldn't tell what) James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like a Girl? You're Older than You've Ever Been Ana Ng Istanbul -------- SenSurround Particle Man Taking Care of Business Sleeping in the Flowers ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:10:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Marian Arlene Hemmenway Subject: boots, videos, rares, t-shirts, and the Hello club. etc. i've been watcing the list for a while.. just never had a reason to comment... anyway. 1) I have all the tmbg albums < as should any good fan =) > but, of course i want more! lives stuff, boots, etc.. any info? mail me... 2) is teh info club still going? i never joined... 3) what is teh hello cd of teh month club.. and is it still around.. if so.. how do i join? FeelSorryForMeStory: unlike most of teh rest of teh list.. i've never been to a tmbg live show... why? several years back, tmbg played houston in a little venue called the vatican. Much to teh excitement of tmbg, but to teh dismay of teh fire marshal.. huge amount of people showed up. after 15 mins of teh concert, the fire marshall shut teh show down.. tmbg vowed then and tehre never to return to houston.... and they haven't!! two weeks later, i was introduced to tmbg... AGHGHG! -jason. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: boots, videos, rares, Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 1:23:20 18000 > > 2) is teh info club still going? i never joined... > > 3) what is teh hello cd of teh month club.. and is it still around.. if > so.. how do i join? > > unlike most of teh rest of teh list.. i've never been to a tmbg live > show... why? > several years back, tmbg played houston in a little venue called the > vatican. Much to teh excitement of tmbg, but to teh dismay of teh fire > marshal.. huge amount of people showed up. after 15 mins of teh concert, > the fire marshall shut teh show down.. tmbg vowed then and tehre never to > return to houston.... and they haven't!! > Sheesh! That's a bit rash of Them! Sorry I can't help with your questions, but I just HAD to say this: what's with the teh's?! -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: boots, videos, rares, Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 01:43:46 -0400 (EDT) > > unlike most of teh rest of teh list.. i've never been to a tmbg live > > show... why? > > several years back, tmbg played houston in a little venue called the > > vatican. Much to teh excitement of tmbg, but to teh dismay of teh fire > > marshal.. huge amount of people showed up. after 15 mins of teh concert, > > the fire marshall shut teh show down.. tmbg vowed then and tehre never to > > return to houston.... and they haven't!! > > As I listen to my Satanic version of Like a Prayer by BiGod 20 I will shed light on my own anecdote ;) I called NYC info for the number for the Knitting Factory as I was considering going to a TMBG show there in '94 or so. Well I called up there, got info, nearly bought tix and I think a similar thing happened, fire marshall called off the show or something like that. I was sorta pissed in that I really wanted to go and I really wanted to see em inNYC but I was a little relieved in that I didn't have to make the 4 hour drive to there. I wonder if they've played thre since? See ya Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-195 ******************************