Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-196 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 196 Sunday, 14 July 1996 Today's Topics: .. kinda new (fwd) kinda new monopoof (fwd) monopoof Tmbg Wallpaper (fwd) Tmbg Wallpaper Re: Survey (fwd) Re: Survey Monopuff mortification (because I'm so stupid) Delivery failure mortification Hot Cha patterns? (none) Re: boots, videos, rares, Re: Weird Al on AOL...i tried Re: Definitive album Re: Survey Mono Puff Lyrics Re: Mono Puff Lyrics survey Mono Puff Lyrics Who does what? Testing... E-mail problems fixed. ska She's an Angel Re: Survey, anyone remember the 94 GWU show? survey, intro Re: patterns? Re: ska She's an Angel Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 18:03:20 -0400 Subject: .. unsubscribe varve@aol.com tmbg-list subscribe varve@aol.com tmbg-digest ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: kinda new (fwd) Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 08:06:04 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: ------------------------------ From: SirMovie@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 01:22:37 -0400 Subject: kinda new Hey everyone! I'm kinda new here and I was just wondering a few things. 1) Who do I ask for the copy of the bootleg video? I've heard it's good but want to see for myself. 2) What is the correct # for Dial-A-Song? 3) How can I get the Dial-A-Song tapes that people have mentioned? 4) Not TMBG related, but does anyone like Soul Coughing? A friend of mine (hey Dre) got me started on them. They are really cool, but nowhere close to TMBG!! That all. Thank you for your time. -Mister A -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: monopoof (fwd) Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 08:07:41 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 18:26:34 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron) Subject: monopoof Hey, I would love to buy a copy of the tape from you. write me *======== Regarding ========* Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 18:02:26 EDT Okies folks, I am going out to get a bunch of tapes and plan on beginning taping the DC Monopuff show for those who mailed me. It looks like there are quite a few so it'll take me a little while. It looks like $5 should cover all US/Canada orders, outside of N. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Tmbg Wallpaper (fwd) Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 08:07:54 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 22:49:56 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron) Subject: Tmbg Wallpaper ya I want it, send it here :) "did the large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket" *======== Regarding ========* Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 21:23:26 EDT Hi everyone, want to see how bored I was? I made some tmbg wallpaper in paintbrush. One is of the Flood logo, and the other is of the Bird Brain shirt. Let me know if u want one/both. i'll email them to u :) Very bored, AmY (or else there's nothing i want to do) =================== AmY -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Survey (fwd) Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 08:08:06 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 16:36:33 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron) Subject: Re: Survey *======== Regarding ========* Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 16:06:09 EDT Favourite album: The Pink Album Favourite song: Toss-up between See the Constellation and Lie Still, Little Bottle Favourite giant: Linnel Least favourite song: Stompbox Favourite video: Birdhouse (only seen Ana Ng, Istanbul, Guitar and Statue) Least favourite album: -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Monopuff Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 09:37:12 -0400 (EDT) I am looking for _one_ person who would be interested in a special Mono Puff project. This person must know HTML and be able to devote 10-20 hours a week for the next couple of weeks. If you would be interested in this job please drop me a note, I need someone serious about this. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:45:37 -0400 From: dragon Subject: mortification (because I'm so stupid) >Return-path: >Received: from dial122.lakeheadu.ca by ICE.LAKEHEADU.CA (Mercury 1.21); > 12 Jul 96 07:04:53 EDT >X-Sender: sechilds@ice.lakeheadu.ca >X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.2 >Mime-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" >To: they might be giants >From: dragon >Subject: Re: spaghettiO's and Rush (Chubby Hubby) > > >>> >>> >Well, I don't know about Tori Amos, but I do like SpaghettiO's....and Mono >>> >Puff, and TMBG, and the Libertarian party, and beer, and my Jeep, and >>> >Radio, and AMC automobiles, and root canals, and Rush Limbaugh, and OS/2, >>> >and the Internet, and good cigars, and Barq's Root Beer, and Linux, and my >>> >dog, and the Butthole Surfers, and Beavis and Butthead, and Football, and >>> >girls, and guitars, >everybody should like girls and guitars...especially girls WITH guitars >(like me) > > and Harry Browne, and XTC, and alt.tasteless, and the >>> >word "and", and beer, and I'm repeating myself.... > >must be all that beer. >> >> >> i like ben and jerry's. not rush limbaugh, though. yuck. >> >but rush is the greatest man in america...doesn't anyone else listen to moxy >fruvous? (maybe i should be careful saying that, somebody once told me they >considered MF a TMBG wannabe band. I disagree, but i don't know about y'all.) >BTW, this is my first posting, I've been lurking for about a month now. >it's kind of nice to be out of the closet, so to speak. > >heather > I'm so mortified! My first post to the list, and I didn't get it through because I thought I had nicknamed the mailing list "they might be giants" in my alias list, but in reality (where I never spend much time) I had nicknamed it "tmbg". I'm so embarrassed. Guess who's a newbie on the internet, huh? Oh well. heather "Why must everything that is so good for me taste so bad?" --Chef Boyardee ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:46:09 -0400 From: dragon Subject: Delivery failure mortification >Return-path: >Received: from dial122.lakeheadu.ca by ICE.LAKEHEADU.CA (Mercury 1.21); > 12 Jul 96 07:04:56 EDT >X-Sender: sechilds@ice.lakeheadu.ca >X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.2 >Mime-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" >To: they might be giants >From: dragon >Subject: To Serve Mankind > >> >>>Is it just me, or did Satan look like a mutant Smurf? >> >>Satan is supposed to be portrayed as one of the aliens from the Twilight >>Zone episode "To Serve Mankind". I'm sure you are all aware of this >>episode, where the aliens come to earth with a book entitled "To Serve >>Mankind" and start taking people to their planet in their spaceship. When >>the book is finally translated, it is discovered to be a cookbook...get >>it...to SERVE mankind! Well, it was spooky back in the 50's. Anyway...the >>Devil in the Mono Puff video looks and is dressed just like the aliens in >>the episode. In fact, isn't there a Mono Puff song called "To Serve >>Mankind"? Can't be just a simple coincidence...strange forces are at work >here. >> >> Alex > >That's kind of like the Simpsons Hallowe'en episode in which the green >drooling aliens abduct the Simpsons and start fattening them up, and Lisa >finds the cookbook that reads "How to Cook Humans" but the alien blows dust >off of it so it reads "How to Cook FOR Humans" and Lisa blows more dust off >and it reads "How to Cook FORTY Humans" and finally the alien blows the last >bit of dust off and the book is entitled "How to Cook FOR Forty Humans" so >the aliens are offended by the Simpsons and dump them back on earth. Was >that a run-on sentence or what? Anyway, I guess now I know what that >episode was based on. I'm further mortified because somebody already mentioned this after I tried to post this...oh well, sucks to be me. >BTW, BlueDawg, I just had my wisdom teeth out so I share your dental woes. But my stitches are gone now, so I'm feelin' fine and chewing solids again. >heather > "This is the kind of zany place where you would flirt with your husband's wife." --someone's modern drama prof ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 12:18:25 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) Subject: Hot Cha To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Stop ripping on Hot Cha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and by the way, if anyone could give me some info on Linell's Mayors project thingy, I'd realllllllllllllllllllly appreciate it Thanks "I love the world and if I have to sue for custody, I will sue for custody" ~~~~~~~~~DaN~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: patterns? Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:27:25 -0400 (EDT) Does anyone know where to put .bmp files for the desktop pattern in the control panels? Thanks, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 13:53:29 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Alright, I have to ask for just one more thing, Power of Dial a Song, I have most of the songs on it scattered on several tapes (stuff I taped from Dial a Song and stuff I've traded), but I really want the complete thing, please help me out (again) I'd really appreciate it "but the hip-hop and the white funk, just blew away my puppy's mind" ~~~~~~~~~~DaN~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:59:18 -0500 (CDT) From: Marian Arlene Hemmenway Subject: Re: boots, videos, rares, On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > > 2) is teh info club still going? i never joined... > > > > 3) what is teh hello cd of teh month club.. and is it still around.. if > > so.. how do i join? > > > > unlike most of teh rest of teh list.. i've never been to a tmbg live > > show... why? > > several years back, tmbg played houston in a little venue called the > > vatican. Much to teh excitement of tmbg, but to teh dismay of teh fire > > marshal.. huge amount of people showed up. after 15 mins of teh concert, > > the fire marshall shut teh show down.. tmbg vowed then and tehre never to > > return to houston.... and they haven't!! > > > Sheesh! That's a bit rash of Them! Sorry I can't help with > your questions, but I just HAD to say this: what's with the teh's?! soory.. timing error in my typing... no email spell checker. > > -- > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) > voting process... send designs and ideas to me! > EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting > WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html > For seeing and voting on the design submissions. > tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 13:02:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: Weird Al on AOL...i tried > Personally, I think its a bit of a rip-off. A terrible, awful, gross > rip-off, but a rip-off nonetheless. Don't think of EYKIW as a rip-off. Think of it as homage. Al did a great job of using about a dozen TMBG conventions and throwing in just about every word that could prick a TMBG fan's ear. If he were making fun of TMBG, as he does with so many other bands, the song would have been VERY different. - Lara ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 15:17:35 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) Subject: Re: Definitive album To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Flansy said himself there is only going to be 13 songs on Factory Showroom ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Survey Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:33:23 -0500 (CDT) > favorite. Count me among the "no such thing" group. The best I could do > would be Least Polished--Misc. T., but even that's got some great stuff. Ah, and there are also those who find little polishing to be a sign of truly good music, unhindered by such weights as repeated revisions to make it perfect.... May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 16:33:12 -0400 Subject: Mono Puff Lyrics Okay so I've been writing out Mono Puff Lyrics for the page I'm working on and this is a part of TDWDTN I've been having trouble with... The Lord said to Satan, "Dude I'm sick of waiting In order to win, Chuck (?), you got to hang ten" It was totally rocking It was totally rocking Also, take a look at how I wrote out Oddball, I'm not sure about it either... Oddball In between the matter I would fall Like the notes between the chords in this song Possibilities would be great I could attend I would not be late For the gathering of the society of the Oddballs There everybody's different Oddball I might as well be all alone if I'm not Oddball Because time between the oddballs is so very long Now I want to talk to everyone about mathematics Mathematics moves at such a crawl And gravity is mighty strong It's so strong that every place in orb (?) So many places to count I can't absorb Yeah but every now and there comes along Oddball There everybody's different Oddball I might as well be all alone in my mind Oddball Cause space between the oddball's is so very long Oddball There everybody's different Oddball I might as well be all alone if I'm not Oddball Because space between the oddballs is so very long Mr. Frank Black There's also this part at the end of Unsupervised, I hit my head I've lost my super powers I was invisible I cut just cut myself Right out my will I was unsupervised I had a real good time Until I We hoped for better things That was impossible We would just clap our hands And wait for the sun (?) We were unsupervised We had a real good time Until I I hit my head Thank you in advance a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 17:37:26 -0400 Subject: Re: Mono Puff Lyrics << The Lord said to Satan, "Dude I'm sick of waiting In order to win, Chuck (?), you got to hang ten" It was totally rocking It was totally rocking Sounds to me like he says, "Child, you got to hang ten." Not sure about the others! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 17:48:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Albatross L Subject: survey My responses are.. fave album: A18 fave song:s The Statue GMH, We Want a Rock, Rhythm section WA fave giant: flansburg fave video: have yet to see any least fave album: John Henry least fave song: I should Be Allowed to ttinhk, ending of Spy, others alb. Ellen ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Mono Puff Lyrics Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 18:54:02 -0400 (EDT) God said to Satan, "Dude I'm sick of waitin' In order to win, Chuck you got to hang ten" It was totally rocking It was totally rocking -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Brett W Maguire Subject: Who does what? Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 19:08:42 -0400 Hi Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm relatively new to the Giants scene. = How do you guys know which Giant sings and writes what songs? In the CD = notes, all I see is a "all songs written and composed by They Might Be = Giants". Who does what? thanks in advance! take care, Brett "I swear by all that doesn't suck..." -Beavis and Butthead- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Testing... Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 19:30:37 -0400 (EDT) sorry about this, just testing. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: E-mail problems fixed. Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 19:38:32 -0400 (EDT) I believe I have fixed all of the tmbg.org e-mail problems. To explain briefly what happened: I had fixed up the e-mail system so the aliases would work. All mail was being delivered properly, but if you sent mail to a non-existant address you would get back the cryptic error message "mail loops back to itself" rather than a more informative "user unknown". Well, I finally tracked down what I believe to be a solution. I've done some minor testing, but I would like those of you who noticed a problem before to double check things again now. Make sure if you send mail with a "From: user@tmbg.org" to the list people can reply to it and all that. Enjoy. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:42:38 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: ska She's an Angel Cuper Vargas wrote: >P.S. I've heard that the Bruce Lee band covers a TMBG song, but I have >yet to pick up the album. Anybody know anything about it? I'm a little >wary of anything related to Skankin' Pickle. Then again, maybe it's great >and I just don't know it. Ahh, decisions... As a matter of fact, I just found this CD today!! I had heard that the Bruce Lee band covered She's an Angel so of _course_ I had to get it. For those of you who don't know, The Bruce Lee Band is a ska band started by one of the members of another ska band, Skankin' Pickle. I don't really know much about Skankin' Pickle though...you don't like them much, Cuper? Anyway, about the song...it's definitely...different. Faster tempo, no accordian, no horns (ack!), but still pretty cool. It's doesn't sound very ska-ish which is kind of disappointing but the rest of the album is quite good. It's worth the $10 (record store price) or $7 (mail order) if you can find it. You can order the CD directly from Dill Records for the bargain price of $7. Here's the address: Dill Records P.O. Box 35585 Monte Sereno, CA 95030-5585 Shipping is included but they said if you could throw in a buck or two, they'd appreciate it. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:52:56 -0400 Subject: Re: Survey, About the survey: Most fav album: John Henry Least fav album: Flood Fav song: Sleeping in the Flowers/ Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes Least fav song: Extra Savior-Faire Fav video: Don't Let's Start Fav giant: JL :) tucker ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:52:36 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: anyone remember the 94 GWU show? if you do and have any bootlegs, i'd be willing to give you a kidney. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 23:41:17 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: survey, intro here are my picks: fave record: John Henry fave songs(couldn't pick just one): birdhouse, ana ng, self called nowhere, my evil twin, I pal..I fave giant: Linnel sings the better songs, mostly least fave song: hot cha least fave record: Lincoln(but this doesn't mean i don't like it, and i don't have Their first record or Misc T) fave album cover: Lincoln fave song lyrics: shoehorn with teeth hi, everyone! I'm new to this list, and i just started using e-mail a few weeks ago, so i don't know all the neat abbreviations people are using. I'm Brian, and don't be confused when your inbox says "BrailleWorks"-- that's my stepdad's company. I shall go by the name "Chakka". Since we all will be talking a lot, i'll tell a bit about me. i'm 19, and i live in Mentor(a suburb of Cleveland, OH). Music is my favorite thing in the world. I have over 130 CD's, and my favorite bands are: Nirvana, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Smashing Pumpkins, and They Might Be Giants. I joined this list because tmbg fans are definetly a unique breed, as tmbg are definetly a unique band. I only know a couple tmbg fans out here, so this is my chance to meet a bunch. I've been on this list for a couple weeks, and decided to see how things operated and such before i wrote. Whoever started talking about Monopuff--thanks! I probably would have never heard of them otherwise. ok, that's it. "i'm the face in your dreams of glass" CHAKKA -billy corgan ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Re: patterns? Date: 14 Jul 1996 04:29:14 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine If you've got a pc, just stick it in the Windows directory. Then it should show up as a choice under the desktop thingy in controls. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: ska She's an Angel Date: Sun, 14 Jul 96 0:05:30 18000 > Anyway, about the song...it's definitely...different. Faster tempo, no > accordian, no horns (ack!), but still pretty cool. It's doesn't sound very > ska-ish which is kind of disappointing but the rest of the album is quite > good. It's worth the $10 (record store price) or $7 (mail order) if you can > find it. > Can you possibly make a recording of this and put it on the internet somewhere, or send me a copy? -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-196 ******************************