Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-198 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 198 Tuesday, 16 July 1996 Today's Topics: Undeliverable Message Extra Don't Let's Start Single Re: Totally Rocking Re: Totally Rocking Re: Totally Rocking Re: TMBG discussion page fone number Pictures, anyone? Flans married? MP Chat 'n' stuff Re: MP Chat 'n' stuff Re: Weird Al on AOL...i tried Re: MP Chat 'n' stuff lefties Re: Totally Confused Diary of AOL Diary of AOL Re: Who does what? Music & Computers singing and writing Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 3:49:53 EDT From: Subject: Undeliverable Message To: Cc: Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-197 Message not delivered to recipients below. Press F1 for help with VNM error codes. VNM3043: Jason Soltan@1292@ETS VNM3043 -- MAILBOX IS FULL. The message cannot be delivered because the recipient's mailbox contains the maximum number of messages, as set by the system administrator. The recipient must delete some messages before any other messages can be delivered. The default limit is 1000 messages. Administrators can set lower limits if required using the Change mailbox settings function available in the Manage User menu (MUSER). The 1000 message limit is the maximum allowed by the Mail program. If this limit is reached, the recipient must delete some of the messages before the mailbox can accept any more incoming messages. ---------------------- Original Message Follows ---------------------- The original message was larger than the viewing area. It cannot be displayed as is. Therefore, it has been stored in the file `mail.txt'. Please view this file in order to read the message. Thank you. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 08:15:07 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Extra Don't Let's Start Single Hi everybody, I was parsing through a music store the other day and found a Don't Let's Start CD Single still in its packaging so I picked it up figuring someone on the list might be intrested in it since I already have one. It is one of those little 3" CD's its pretty cool still in its plastic wrapping. I payed $7 for it so that is what im asking. If I get more than one offer it will go to the highest bidder by the end of this Friday unless someone has an extra The Statue Got Me High or Guitar Single or anything in TMBG on vynal that they want to part with. ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Re: Totally Rocking Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 8:47:04 EDT >> how does everyone interperet the "Go, go Satan Go" in DWDTN? Do you >> think its a "Satan, That rocks!" or a "Satan Begone!" I guess its kinda >> a "What if God was one of us" debate but what do you think? >I kinda take it as these Newport surfing dudes who are Satan worshippers >in search of hedonism and pleasure and such and tehrefore they see Satan >surfing without a board and think that is totally rockin'. There for, >"Go, go, Satan go": would seem like some chant for him to ride the curl >and rip it up. Well, we do know that Satan lost because he couldn't hang ten, so I would hope it means "Go, get away from here." (But, I confess it doesn't sound like that.) Regardless of anyone's religious beliefs, I'd hate to think that John (or the surfers) would cheer on evil. -- john ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Totally Rocking Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 08:01:01 -0500 (CDT) > Regardless of anyone's religious beliefs, I'd hate to think that John > (or the surfers) would cheer on evil. I've interpreted it as cheering on Satan, and I actually thought it was rather cool... You know, the whole ludicrosy of the whole thing... May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Totally Rocking Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 08:14:13 -0500 (EST) > > Regardless of anyone's religious beliefs, I'd hate to think that John > (or the surfers) would cheer on evil. > Yeah, it's just like back when I had to stop listening to Randy Newman because I found out how prejudiced he is against short people. Now that I know that everything an artist ever sings is autobiographically rooted in his own deep, personal beliefs I sleep better at night, though. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 13:25:59 GMT Subject: Re: TMBG discussion page From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr Klaw) On Jul 14, 1996 22:53:51, '"Mike Rose, really!" ' wrote: Well I'm sorry to say that unless he just wasn't on the list for a long time, I had mine first.. I used to be on the list but had to cancel it cause my box was to full.. But at anyrate I've been Mr Klaw for a very long time... >Hmmm, this could get ugly. From what I understand, there is >already a Mr. Klaw on the list. He might get angry if someone else uses >his handle. I just don't wanna see anyone get hurt. > > Mike > > PS: More weird literary finds coming soon. > > > -- "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding!" -TMBG- Sloan Poe grant3@usa.pipeline.com Mr_Klaw@tmbg.org grant3@tmbg.org dresko@clearlight.com Passthemilk@clearlight.com http://www.clearlight.com/Passthemilk/ ------------------------------ From: Brett W Maguire Subject: fone number Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:48:00 -0400 Hi Could someone please e-mail me with the telefone number for TMBG productions? thanx take care, Brett "every man dies, not every man really lives" -Mel Gibson in BRAVEHEART- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:17:31 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Pictures, anyone? Mornin'! Does anyone have any real cool photo's of the John's or homepages where such photo's could be copied? I would just like to have them for my personal use. So, I won't be sellin' 'em and make millions off of your laborious effort just to get them for yourself..... :) Thanks! Dave Gonzalez ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:23:16 -0400 Subject: Flans married? Didn't somebody say that Flans was getting married yesterday? Well, did he?(whatever you do, don't hold me in suspense) Erika(who's sorry that Flans probably got hitched, but is glad that at least we still have Linnell.) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:29:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: MP Chat 'n' stuff Hey all: Just finished reading the Flans irc chat--pretty entertaining. Pretty sad moderator. :) Did anyone notice that whenever anyone asked about pretty much anything that was late in coming out (like the newsletter), Flans kept saying, "It'll be out in about a month."? Plus, a question: Has anyone subscribed to the info club gotten a newsletter since the holiday issue? Have there been any new ones since then? New album: only 13 songs? and they're long? This is going to be weird. At least Counterfeit Faker isn't going to be on it... then I won't have to fast forward through it. (Isn't that one of the songs they played on their last tour? The country one? If not, then, uh, never mind.) The least number of songs ever on a TMBG album.... BTW, about those surveys... one note on the "Favorite Giant" part... I happen to like Flans because he's left-handed (like me) and seems to have changed or developed more in terms of music and songwriting than Linnell has, and is arguably more diverse, if not as consistent. This is not to say that I don't like Linnell (if I didn't, would I really like TMBG? Probably not). I mean, even though I like Flansburgh better, my favorite song (for now) is still probably End of the Tour. Random Thought: I never understood why anyone would abbreviate the word "and" as "'n'". It's the same number of characters if you're typing.... I guess it's shorter if you're writing it though. Jason "He wants a shoehorn, the kind | J a s o n L. G o h l k e with teeth / because he knows | jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu there's no such thing." -TMBG | bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 12:00:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: MP Chat 'n' stuff Yeah, I noticed that, too... what happened to the short songs on albums but there were 18 of them... ? As for the "favorite giant" debate... even though when I did the actual survery, I put John, just for the novelty of it, it seems that everyone else tends to pick one over the other, so I figured I'd give my argument for Linnell... he plays the accordion. I play the accordion. (I'm partial, what can I say :) I also think that the majority of the musical talent is Linnell's - he plays more instruments, and tends to write more complex musical songs (The Statue Got Me High, Birdhouse in Your Soul, and Ana Ng, to name a few). This doesn't mean Flansburgh isn't talented - he is, but in a different way (and he's probably the one who'll end up reading this, not Linnell...) I tend to prefer music with significant instrumental background, which is why I prefer Linnell's work to Flans', which is not to say I don't like his songs - Sleeping in the Flowers and Meet James Ensor are two of their best songs... (IMHO) But as Linnell said in his interview in "Music & Computers" he will sequence a whole song, with all the parts, and then say to each band member, "This is your part..." (or something to that effect) But in the end, They Might Be Giants, and that's all that really matters... (and what are we going to do unless they are?) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Weird Al on AOL...i tried Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:33:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Betty Schiappa: > Personally, I think its a bit of a rip-off. A terrible, awful, gross >rip-off, but a rip-off nonetheless. If you're talking about the song: Al has publicly stated that it is a "style parody" of TMBG. Someone sent a copy of this to the list but I can't for the life of me find it in my old messages. Al is a big TMBG fan. However, They don't particularly care for Al. If you're talking about AOL: There's a whole web site devoted to that topic: http://www.aolsucks.org ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 17:32 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: MP Chat 'n' stuff >Plus, a question: Has anyone subscribed to the info club >gotten a newsletter since the holiday issue? Have there been any new >ones since then? I haven't gotten one since the holiday issue, and my stupid friend lost it. grr... Okay, he's really not stupid, and I don't think he lost it. I think he's hiding it somewhere and won't give it back. :) >BTW, about those surveys... one note on the >"Favorite Giant" part... I happen to like Flans because he's left-handed >(like me) Joy! Another lefty! Any other lefties out there? Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: lefties Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 18:02:59 -0400 (EDT) > > >BTW, about those surveys... one note on the > >"Favorite Giant" part... I happen to like Flans because he's left-handed > >(like me) > > Joy! Another lefty! Any other lefties out there? > > Kirsten Depends on what your basing it on, I'm sort of a lefty and a righty too! 8-) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Totally Confused Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 17:18:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Pez: >day... And I've got a question (I don't know if its been covered yet) >how does everyone interperet the "Go, go Satan Go" in DWDTN? Do you >think its a "Satan, That rocks!" or a "Satan Begone!" I guess its kinda I would suggest that if it were in true TMBG spirit, it would mean BOTH. -CB. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Diary of AOL Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 18:27:08 18000 Can whoever posted the "Diary of an AOL User" please resend it to me? Thanks....... sorry to be a bother... And for "TMBG Content" : I hope that it is a mis-information that "Factory Showroom" will only have thirteen songs....... tyhat is, unless it is the B-sides album, then I suppose that's a good amount. Ah well..... Goodbye Superfueled Freakcicle. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Diary of AOL Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 18:27:08 18000 Can whoever posted the "Diary of an AOL User" please resend it to me? Thanks....... sorry to be a bother... And for "TMBG Content" : I hope that it is a mis-information that "Factory Showroom" will only have thirteen songs....... tyhat is, unless it is the B-sides album, then I suppose that's a good amount. Ah well..... Goodbye Superfueled Freakcicle. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Who does what? Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 17:58:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Brett W Maguire: >Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm relatively new to the Giants scene. >How do you guys know which Giant sings and writes what songs? In the CD >notes, all I see is a "all songs written and composed by They Might Be >Giants". Who does what? You can find the current version of my semi-canonical Who Sings What List on the Web at: http://umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt I intend to add a couple of the soundtrack tunes to the end (SenSurround: L and Spiralling Shape: L/F), but it can probably wait till the new album comes out this September or October. It's generally held that whoever sings it, wrote it. So far, in interviews I've seen in which one or the other John takes credit for writing a song, this has proven true. Of course, one of them usually sings on songs they didn't write at all (but the liner notes indicate such.) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Music & Computers Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 01:03:31 -0400 (EDT) I just got that Music and Computers John L INterview. Very interesting how they use the MIDI files and such to make their music. But why does he use such an old Mac? And John F's Mac Classic to run Dial A Song? No wonder it works so little of the time. I can't believe James K. Polk is being released on the new album, Factory Showroom. I wonder how different it'll be? Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: singing and writing Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 01:14:55 -0400 (EDT) I think the fact that one John sings a song generally means they wrote it, but not always. For instance, in "Rat Patrol", John L wrote the music and John F wrote the words. This seems to be very rare though. Sing Like a Girl was written by Flans and he sings that. John L said, "I predict that this song will put our kids through college, or put us through college, or something. Or it'll make people want to go to college." Ok that had nothing to do with writing songs but it was pretty funny ;) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-198 ******************************