Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-199 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 199 Wednesday, 17 July 1996 Today's Topics: Space Ghost . . . Linnel interview Definitive New Album Contents List Re: Devil video Re: Devil video day or date TMBG/Mono Puff etc etc (fwd) Re: Devil video Re: Music & Computers Re: Music & Computers Lefty-Righty question et alfred. The Best Giant They hit my hand; I'm still left-handed +OAT Lefty Nightgown of the sullen moon Can't believe this crap from ATN... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 03:34:09 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: Space Ghost . . . Ok loosely related to tmbg but I'll tie it in a little - Cartoon planet Ocasionally opens with TMBG's No one knows my plan and in the credits they say They Might Be Giants Makes Pretty Music. Ok now for the stuff in between... How many others are addicted to Brak, Zorak, and SG? They have a CD available for under 7 bucks (including shipping and handling!!!!) but I think the only way you can learn about it is through e-mailing him. I just sent off for mine - but one of my friends just got his. I must say that any fan of tmbg would most definately enjoy the haunting refrains of "Smells Like Cartoon Planet", "Put your Socks on Mama." and "Bologna Sandwich" TTFN pez MAN ======================================================================= "Good-ness Gra-cious" http://home.earthlink.net/~millercv ======================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:35:49 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Linnel interview Is there any chance that some kind soul could post the linnel interview from Music and Computers, or whatever that magazine was called? We can't get it in England, and I'd love to see it. Although it _is_ pretty long, I suppose. Thanks, Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:12:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Definitive New Album Contents List Once again, the Definitive New Album Contents List. This time, reasonably accurate. :) The following songs will appear on Factory Showroom: Certain People I Could Name Spiralling Shape How Can I Sing Like A Girl? SenSurround Ringing Of The Bells * XTC Vs. Adam Ant S-E-X-X-Y New York City Pet Name Exquisite Dead Guy I Can Hear You Your Own Worst Enemy James K. Polk * This is the new Dial-A-Song, also known simply as "The Bells." This list is about 90% accurate, as everything here I have taken from interviews or other news directly from John Flansburg. He has announced that Spiralling Shape and SenSurround would be on the album at various concerts. In the AOL chat he revealed that The Bells would appear on the album. In the Sonicnet chat he said that Certain, James K. Polk, and Your Own Worst Enemy would be on the album, and from his posting to r.m.tmbg he said that S-E-X-X-Y, XTCvAA, New York City, Pet Name, Exquisite Dead Guy, and I Can Hear You would all be on the album. From this information, and the info that there were only 13 songs on the album, I have patched together the above list. This means that the following songs, all of which were believed to be "in the running" for the album, will not appear: Older Counterfeit Faker Edison Museum Rat Patrol Reprehensible On The Drag They Got Lost I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice That leaves us with a remarkable eight unused songs (seven if Sacrifice doesn't really exist.) My personal guess is that five or six end up as B-sides on the two EP's for this album, with any leftovers probably winding up on Mono Puff's next Hello EP. I really do hope we get to hear studio versions of these tracks, as some of them are really good and I'd hate to see them disappear. /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:32:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Devil video On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Well I fianlly saw the Devil Went Down to Newport and I must say it Excuse me for being unkowledgable on this subject but, is devil went down to newport anything like the devil went down to georgia? And for the life of me i can't find this mono puff cd anywhere...guess that's what i get for livin in texas... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jul 96 14:43:21 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Devil video > On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > Well I fianlly saw the Devil Went Down to Newport and I must say it > > Excuse me for being unkowledgable on this subject but, is devil went down > to newport anything like the devil went down to georgia? And for the > life of me i can't find this mono puff cd anywhere...guess that's what i > get for livin in texas... No it isn't like The Devil went dowm to georga. Its really cool and it rocks. You can always get monopuff from Ryko. And the video is really cool but I wouldn't have known that was flansburgh unless I saw his lips moving. Its a good video again nothing like Georgia. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:10:39 -0400 From: Betty Schiappa Subject: day or date excuse me for being ignorant, here. this may have come up and i wasn't paying attention or something...but is anyone sure exactly when "factory showroom" will be coming out? someone said in september or october, but has a date been set? ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG/Mono Puff etc etc (fwd) Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:19:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts For those of you wondering about exact dates, I figured I'd repost this message from last month.... -CB >From: Brooksie2@aol.com >Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 01:21:25 -0400 >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG/Mono Puff etc etc > >For those of you not privy to the TMBG Folder on AOL, I figured I'd pass this >post along: > >---------------begin quoted material----------------------------- >The new TMBG record (I know, I know, "don't tease me",you say) is due to be >released on September 24th. The title is still undecided, though. The CD >single is due out September 3rd, which should include the live recordings >done last month at the Edison Labs (I Can Hear You, Baby I Know, Theme for >the Edison Museum and James K. Polk). > >In addition to the Fairfax VA show 6/7, there will a weeks worth of dates >in August surrounding the Pointfest show in St. Louis 8/17. Also after the >record is out, you can count on Them touring from about mid-September thru >December before breaking for the holidays. > >I've been willingly drafted into collecting data and ideas for the Official >TMBG Web Site, so it should be finished sometime in July (it's really gonna >be special so it's not going to be rushed). > >Mono Puff is on tour! How does Flans find the Time? Here are the dates: >6/24 Providence, RI Baby Face >6/25 Boston, MA Middle East >6/26 Philadelphia, PA Theatre Of The Living Arts >6/27 Washington, DC 9:30 Club >6/28-29 New York, NY Mercury Lounge > >These shows are confirmed, but call ahead for times and tickets. >The new Mono Puff video is in the can and should be ripe for requesting on >MTV on the week of June 10th. >-------------end quoted material------------------------ > >Love, >Brooks > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Devil video Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:48:54 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Chris Kopenec: >Excuse me for being unkowledgable on this subject but, is devil went down >to newport anything like the devil went down to georgia? And for the Only in the sense that Satan is involved in a contest of skill, and loses. Which of course is a very TMBG-style take on an existing song (c.f. "Cage and Aquarium" vs. "Age of Aquarius" et al.) "They were surfin' for souls... to the beat of rock 'n' roll... oh yeah." -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Music & Computers Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:53:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >I just got that Music and Computers John L INterview. Very interesting >how they use the MIDI files and such to make their music. But why >does he use such an old Mac? And John F's Mac Classic to run Dial >A Song? No wonder it works so little of the time. Remember, computers don't LOSE power as they age. Newer, better, faster computers come along and outshine the older ones in terms of performance (and thus what can be reasonably accomplished), but that doesn't make older computers any less fit for what they can do. MIDI sequencing doesn't take a P166 with 32MB RAM (unless you run it under Lose95 ;) and switching a phone services is also a trivial computational effort. Sure, you wouldn't want to run Quake on them, but I personally think M.U.L.E. on my C64 from 1983 outshines just about any game these days in terms of playability. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Music & Computers Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 16:17:43 -0400 (EDT) > In the immortal words of Matthew James: > > >I just got that Music and Computers John L INterview. Very interesting > >how they use the MIDI files and such to make their music. But why > >does he use such an old Mac? And John F's Mac Classic to run Dial > >A Song? No wonder it works so little of the time. > > > Remember, computers don't LOSE power as they age. Newer, better, > faster computers come along and outshine the older ones in terms of > performance (and thus what can be reasonably accomplished), but that > doesn't make older computers any less fit for what they can do. MIDI > sequencing doesn't take a P166 with 32MB RAM (unless you run it under > Lose95 ;) and switching a phone services is also a trivial > computational effort. Sure, you wouldn't want to run Quake on them, > but I personally think M.U.L.E. on my C64 from 1983 outshines just > about any game these days in terms of playability. > I understand what you are saying about using an old computer as long as it does the job, John L said that himself in the interview. But he also said his computer (Mac IIci) crashes ALOT. Also, as we all know from Dial- a-Song, the darn thing doesn't work most of the time. The Johns said that they thought they were taking a step up by switching to this technology for Dial-A-Song, but they really were taking a step down. I guess his Performer 4.2 program must work good enough on the mac IIci if they are able to crank out the album, but unless he's really hurting for money he could at least upgrade to more RAM or something? Or get a new Mac. Ahh well, I guess it does the job and they have mentioned how they have gotten away from some of the computer work due to having the whole band. On another note: There is a Ben Folds Five article in the July issue of Q magazine for any of those interested. It's a one page article with a big ole picture of 'em. I'm thinking more and more about getting their album. Oh, watch out, the magazine costs $6.75. I don't know if this is because it is a British magazine or if it's because it comes with a free CD (which iactually has some damn good songs on it, as well as a few crappy ones). Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 22:12:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: Lefty-Righty question et alfred. Matt James wrote: > Depends on what your basing it on, I'm sort of a lefty and a righty > too! 8-) Matt I guess I don't really want to know what this means. TMBG-ish Content: Finally changed my quote based on my recent purchase of the KITH Brain Candy sdtk. Had to have it, even though I knew Spiralling Shape would be on the new album.... Is anyone else really annoyed by the Cibo Matto "song" (rant?) though? And back to the favorite Giant discussion: As Lawrence P Solomon wrote, and I probably have to agree with, Linnell is the more musically talented of the two. Maybe people like the Giant they can identify with most (e.g. the left-handed one, the accordion-playing one, the porcupine-hugging one [okay, there isn't a porcupine-hugging one yet, at least not to my knowledge]). But I love 'em both. Speaking of favorites, I also really love the Puppet Head video.... Whoever mentioned the look on Flans' face when he dropped the coffee cup was right on... actually, though, it's rivaled in the Guitar video (my real favorite video), when Flans slowly backs away from the camera and gets that little pout on his face. It's hilarious... and the running up and then backwards down the stairs is great... and the guitar chords printed on screen are hilarious too. Speaking of the Guitar (sigh, very stream of consciousness tonight-- had a bad night at work), what's Laura Cantrell's musical background? (Is that in a FAQ somewhere?) Jason "This could lead to excellence | J a s o n L. G o h l k e -- or serious injury." | jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu - THeY MiGHT Be GiANTS | bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: The Best Giant Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 22:42:48 -0500 Hey, How can you ask a question like which John is better? They are both = untouchable gods of music and that is all that matters. I don't want a = Mike vs. Joel (MST3k reference) type debate to start up! -Justin Yay! I finally got those =3D marks out of my mail! ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: They hit my hand; I'm still left-handed +OAT Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:02:44 -0400 I went to a Catholic Kindergarten, and every time I'd write lefty, they'd hit my hand with a ruler. I still fear nuns. Ouch. I write, play golf, and throw right handed, but everything else is lefty (driving [left hand on the wheel, right on the shift lever, I know you're not supposed to keep your hand on the shift lever, but I do anyway], eating, hit a baseball). I have mastered taking notes lefty, and do so when I get writer's cramp. I refer to myself as a lefty, although I'm not totally left-handed. I also play guitar lefty like Flans. ObOAT I: Baseball. I've been playing in a local church league, and well. Maybe I should try out for a pro team. I could use some more money. I'm hitting over .500, and haven't lost a start pitching. I was in the middle of a no-hitter this afternoon, when the rain came down...bummer. ObOAT II: test.tmbg.org. I'm working on it. I don't know if anyone else is, but I hope to have it ready to publish soon as www.tmbg.org. ObTMBGorMonoPuffContent: hmmm...toughie. Why is the new album going to be so short? Thirteen songs? My original hypothesis has been proved, Hello (Mono Puff, State Songs, House of Mayors, etc. etc.) is sucking the creative talent from the Johns! Let's hope Brian, Graham, and Eric can start writing songs....well, maybe not. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Where they burn books, people are next."--Andy Partridge, Books are Burning ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:32:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Cowtown Subject: Lefty I'm a lefty. This makes me partial to John F. But, I can't say that he is my favorite Giant because I love them both.....and I happen to think that Linnell is gorgeous :) Just thought I'd post. Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:54:57 -0500 From: Jared McIntyre Subject: Nightgown of the sullen moon I read a copy of "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" the other day. A friend of mine had it. It is a rather good childrens book. I am not sure, however, what the song and the book have in common. I'll keep you updated. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:03:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: Can't believe this crap from ATN... Hey Giantheads: So here I am browsing old Addicted to Noise music news (please don't ask why, as I'm not so sure myself), reading their story on the new Soul Coughing album (pretty good album, not as good as their first one IMHO, but worth buying if you like them -- more of a harder groove than their last album) and I come across this oh-so-well-researched paragraph: > Meanwhile, Soul Coughing has been touring non-stop, promoting the album > (which has already been released in Europe) and making plans to > record a video. The band will collaborate with ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! > Jeff Lansberg, of the band They Might Be Giants, ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? on a music video that will involve "Soul Coughing > perched atop a giant miniature train set at this place called Roadside > America in Pennsylvania. Yeah, that's the vibe." Oooh, that pisses me off. Let's write to them and tell them to get some competent writers. (Nice try phonetically but not good enough.) Jason ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-199 ******************************