Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-200 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 200 Thursday, 18 July 1996 Today's Topics: The best...?! 13 songs... Re: The Best Giant Re: tmbg-li... CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] Re: Lefty-Righty question et alfred. Re: Definitive New Album Contents List Which John Is Better? cibo matto re: nightgown of the sullen moon TMBG Live They got Lost Re: They got Lost Re: Definitive New Album Contents List Re: Which John Is Better? Re: The Best Giant The End of The Tour Re: Which John Is Better? Re: 13 songs... Re: They got Lost Re: Lefty Some Re: Some + OAT + OAT Re: Some + OAT + OAT Administrivia tmbg on iMusic (no subject) Re: 13 Songs Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-199 Re: Totally Confused Tapeheads! Re: TMBG Live Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 01:05:08 -0700 From: CourToonie Subject: The best...?! Justin Smith pondered: >How can you ask a question like which John is better? They are both >untouchable gods of music and that is all that matters. I don't want a >M= ike vs. Joel (MST3k reference) type debate to start up! Okay, this is your own damn fault. :) I just HAVE to put my 2=A2 in. = Joel is and always will rock. A Joel & Mike debate is COMPLETELY = different debate than a John/John one. But 'das all I gotta say. I = could go on and on... but I just won't. Everyone is entitled to their = own opinions, so no flamin'! -toonie (who just got her mst3k sweatshirt & autographed ep guide in the mail = yesterday! whoo-hoo!) -- = Courtney L. Patubo cpatubo@hooked.net toonie@tmbg.org cpatubo@aol.com http://www.hooked.net/users/cpatubo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 07:44:22 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: 13 songs... > ObTMBGorMonoPuffContent: hmmm...toughie. Why is the new album going to > be so short? Thirteen songs? My original hypothesis has been proved, > Hello (Mono Puff, State Songs, House of Mayors, etc. etc.) is sucking the > creative talent from the Johns! Let's hope Brian, Graham, and Eric can > start writing songs....well, maybe not. With 13 songs I would hope they would dig up some old unrelased songs and rerecord them and pass them as new material (ie become a robot and such) but I don't think that will happen. If this album has 13 songs then that will make this album an unlucky one... ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: The Best Giant Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:08:27 -0500 (CDT) > How can you ask a question like which John is better? They are both = > untouchable gods of music and that is all that matters. I don't want a = > Mike vs. Joel (MST3k reference) type debate to start up! We're not trying to come up with some definitive answer or anything... Just what anyone's personal opinion happens to be... I happen to like Linnell slightly more, simply because I'm a piano player, too, and I play wind instruments as well, I like his voice quality (very) slightly more than Flans, and I think he's got great-looking hair... Besides, Mike. Definitely... ;) May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:12:11 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: tmbg-li... >Had to have it, even though I knew Spiralling > Shape would be on the new album.... Is anyone else really annoyed by >the Cibo Matto "song" (rant?) though? Hmm... it seems I heard that song once and after that my CD player seemed to automatically skip that track... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:40:52 -0600 (MDT) From: Joyce Frost Subject: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] Okies, My BF, who I love dearly, proclaims his hatred for TMBG everytime he is around [I guess not all of us can be blessed by understanding such incredible talent]; however, he heard one song of Cibo Matto album and bought it. I can't stand the cd myself, yet he has tons of my friends singing the "You got to know your chicken" song, but these insane people declare their hatred for TMBG all the time too [Gods, the earth is full of weirdos who obviously are lacking in some intelligence...]. My question is, do you think there is some hypnotic suggestions in their[CM] music that make people like them, and that people who listen to TMBG are imune. If so, don't you think we should market this before everyone runs around singing "I know my chicken, you got to know your chicken"???!!!! -Joyce BTW: Which one of the mind altering songs is on that album? Joyce Frost, the struggling poetess that finds poetry in struggling... frostjo@Math.Enmu.Edu "Oh do not forsake me my indolent friend..." -TMBG On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Only a few had voiced what they noticed: > >Had to have it, even though I knew Spiralling > > Shape would be on the new album.... Is anyone else really annoyed by >the Cibo Matto "song" (rant?) though? > > Hmm... it seems I heard that song once and after that my CD player > seemed to automatically skip that track... > ------------------------------ Date: 17 Jul 96 11:12:02 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: Lefty-Righty question et alfred. --- LL cool Jason wrote: Speaking of favorites, I also really love the Puppet Head video.... Whoever mentioned the look on Flans' face when he dropped the coffee cup was right on... actually, though, it's rivaled in the Guitar video (my real favorite video), when Flans slowly backs away from the camera and gets that little pout on his face. It's hilarious... and the running up and then backwards down the stairs is great... and the guitar chords printed on screen are hilarious too. --- end of quoted material --- I still don't understand why the disscussion of the Pupet head video had to end. After watching it again I realized John L does some freaky stuff too. At the begining when they get to the part about the Zombie they start flailing their arms above their heads. Flansie stop and John L keeps going. Then the scene changes and then changes back and John L is still doing it! And at the second verse thir walking and John L. puts his hand behind his head and goes BLAHHH but just once it's pretty cool. Just had to say that Rob ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 11:07:52 From: Steve Kiehl <3SWKIEHL@sclct.com> Subject: Re: Definitive New Album Contents List What about Pearl? In that Totonot interview I read about I remember Them mentioning it... they said it sounded definitely hit-like. Remember? Pete Y. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:40:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Which John Is Better? > How can you ask a question like which John is better? They are both = >untouchable gods of music and that is all that matters. I think the "debate" stems from their different musical styles. Flans is very, "let's rock, let's put out some cool music with some neat lyrics." His lyrics reflect this. Linnell's style is more into creating the lyrics, the subtle and meaningful (not that Flans' aren't, but Linnell focuses more on it.) lyrics; he's also into the experimental, "let's try this" mode. You can see their styles in their side projects: Flans takes a bunch of songs that were too weird even for TMBG, writes some more weird ones, throws together a few obscure covers, and goes out on tour playing to tiny clubs and 50 people a night. Linnell carefully crafts songs about different states or New York City Mayors all by himself, and doesn't bother to tour. Flans plays the guitar (a more "Cool, let's rock!" instrument) while Linnell plays the Accordion (much more experimental and stuff.) Or take a look at their takes on "Hotel Detective": Flans' is a sort of, lyrics thrown into a song that make sense but are really just an excuse to jam; Linnell's focuses on the story. (Flans' is a bit extreme, but you get the idea.) I think most people are just reacting to the style they prefer, not the Giant. (I personally prefer Linnell's songwriting, but I like both styles [I think they complement very well] and like both Giants equally.) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:15:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: cibo matto hey guys. i just got back from white water rafting, which was really cool. =) anyways, i now have in my possesion the lyrics to cibo matto's birthday cake song. so, if anyone wants a copy of it, as i'm sure many of you go "huh?" when you listen to it at times, email me and i'll send it to you. obTMBGcontent.... TMBG are also on the brain candy soundtrack, not like anyone on this list didn't already know. spiralling shape grew onto me slowly, but it pales in comparison of classics like ana ng, puppet head, etc. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 12:12:27 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: re: nightgown of the sullen moon the book *NOTSM* is by nancy willard, an writer from michigan who has published novels, children's books, plays, and poetry for the last twenty or so years. she is way neato! and i met her last year, and she read the book out loud to us. there has been speculation in teh past that the reason They wrote a song named after the book (yes, the book came first) was because flans had a daughter when he was previously married and maybe she had this book. BUT this is only speculation! i make no claims of truth to any of it! and this is from waaaay back when in the ol' digest days. anyway, that's my supply of knowledge about it. :) peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 12:36:42 -0800 From: lstormo Subject: TMBG Live -Does anyone have a copy of any live performances of TMBG that you can tape for me? -I'd be glad to pay for the tape and maybe and additional fee. -Later- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:59:04 +0900 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: They got Lost They Got Lost won't be on Factory Showroom??????????????????????????????????? This is so depressing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's one of Their best songs!!!!!!!!!! I love that song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can they not put it on the new album????????????????????????????????????? If it and all those other songs aren't on the new album, when will they come out??????????????? *sighs* *grumbles* *goes insane* Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: They got Lost Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:29:06 -0500 (CDT) > They Got Lost won't be on Factory Showroom??????????????????????????????????? > This is so depressing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > That's one of Their best songs!!!!!!!!!! I love that song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > How can they not put it on the new album????????????????????????????????????? > If it and all those other songs aren't on the new album, when will they > come out??????????????? > *sighs* *grumbles* *goes insane* Well, nothing's really final, I suppose, until the album actually comes out... What with all those unused, extra songs running about, I suspect the 13-song limit is a bit off (that would just be too wierd...) May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:29:23 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really!" Subject: Re: Definitive New Album Contents List On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Steve Kiehl wrote: > > What about Pearl? In that Totonot interview I read about I remember Them > mentioning it... they said it sounded definitely hit-like. Remember? > > > > Pete Y. > > Um, Totonot? Is that near Tasmania? I think you mean Toronto, Canada's largest city, and home to the tallest freestanding structure in the world. Oh well. As I posted to the list a while back, during the Toronto radio interview with Flans in question, there were some intermittent sound problems with the phone line that Flans was using, causing it to go out from time to time. At one point Flans named the song which he thought would be the first single, and at the time it sounded like he said "Pearl" but as I have listened to it now about 30 times, I am now aware that he was actually saying "How Can I Sing Like A Girl" and the sound cut out at that point, returning at the tail end of "Girl." This explains the long pause before the world "Girl". (Which does kind of sound like the word "Pearl" but which, of course, is not.) Anyway I hope this clears it up. Once again, there is no new TMBG song called Pearl. Thank you. Mike ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Which John Is Better? Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:31:03 -0500 (CDT) > I think the "debate" stems from their different musical styles. Flans is > very, "let's rock, let's put out some cool music with some neat lyrics." His Case in point: The Guitar was the Case May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: MogDulog@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:04:42 -0400 Subject: Re: The Best Giant Personally, I like Flans better...he's got better songs (at least, I think so). Youth culture killed my mog... ~Craig~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 14:10:55 EDT From: "jason soltan" Subject: The End of The Tour Hi to everyone out there in Theydom! I was listening to The End of the Tour, and was struck by an idea. It occurred to me that this song might be written from the vehicle's point of view. Check this out, and let me know what you think... It starts out with a girl on the car, or I think more likely, tour bus's radio: There's a girl with a crown and a scepter Who's on WLSD And she says the scene isn't what it used to be And she's thinking of going home That it's old and it's totally over now And it's old and it's over it's over now And it's over it's over it's over now The end of the tour might be when the car dies, or is destroyed, or the owners' band breaks up... Never to part since the day we met out on Interstate 91 I was bent metal you were a flaming wreck as we kissed at the overpass The bus describes the terrible accident, possibly to the other car. I was sailing along with the people Driving themselves to distraction inside me Then came a knock at the door Which was odd And the picture abruptly changed This was the vehicle These were the people You opened the door and expelled all the people From this point of view, the bus is cruising along with its human occupants when it is struck in the door by another car. The bus, being larger is bent up, but the other car is totaled. The people all get out to help or whatnot... The verse: This was the vehicle These were the people You opened the door and expelled all the people has always struck me as being similar to that children's hand gesticulated rhyme: This is the church this is the steeple you open it up and here's all the people I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but when I was small it was popular. Finally, we get to the chorus: At the end of the your When the road disappears If there's any more people around When the tour runs aground And if you're still around Then we'll meet at the end of the tour The engagements are booked through the end of the world so we'll meet at the end of the tour Maybe the car and bus have reached the end of the tour since they are "never to part" and are totaled. Maybe it has to do with a band's tour. Maybe the bus sees itself being run forever or until the end of it's world when it dies on one of the endless gigs. Maybe it is thinking about a junkyard, where it will be with the other car, and there won't be any people there after they've disposed of them. Maybe it's a love song to the car. Maybe I'm totally wacked. At any rate, it makes some sense to me. I like many of the pieces from the interps at Jonathan Chaffer's interp. archive at: http://www.tmbg.org/interp/teott.html (plug, plug) and find that Their songs usually have many layers of meaning. Take a look. Think about it. I'm curious if anyone else sees this too... Jason (who has his hand inside the puppet head) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:52:25 -0400 Subject: Re: Which John Is Better? **very good points about the Johns' musical styles snipped** << I think they complement very well] and like both Giants equally.) >> Nicely put! While I enjoy their solo work, it's just so much more rich, varied and enjoyable when they put their brilliant minds and styles together! Kay ------------------------------ Subject: Re: 13 songs... Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:51:20 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Adam P. Fistler: >With 13 songs I would hope they would dig up some old unrelased songs and >rerecord them and pass them as new material (ie become a robot and such) According to Flans, a "new new new" version of James K. Polk will be on Factory Showroom. >but I don't think that will happen. If this album has 13 songs then that >will make this album an unlucky one... Good point :) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:04:21 -0400 Subject: Re: They got Lost << They Got Lost won't be on Factory Showroom??????????????????????????????????? This is so depressing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know! The more I listen to it, the cooler it is! And what about "Older"? How can they deprive us of "Older"? I must have that for my answering machine! Kay, most upset indeed (if it turns out to be true) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:20:47 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: Lefty I'm a lefty too :) There's a neato lefty link on my home page that i found if u wanna go see it :) AmY =================== AmY seta@spectra.net amy@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 anangel@tmbg.org =================== C\_/ ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:49:32 -0400 Subject: Some Hello 41- In regards to the lefty discussion, someone said they do both. I can relate. I was taught to do stuff with my right hand, when we belive I should be a lefty. Things I pick up new, like frisbee and soccer I do lefty. My handwriting is the same lefty and righty, but that isn't saying much. Johns- I was the only person in the surveys to mention a non-John. Tony Maiome signed my shoe at the show. He wins by default. Songs- I had an idea why there may only be 13 songs. Lately Mr. Flansburg has bee on the online rampage it seems. I think TMBG may carry it out, and put some multimedia on the disc. There was the JH Hypercard, and who knows what is in store... I know nothing, but it's fun to guess. Older- I heard somewhere that Older is an old Brian Dewan song. I really like it, but I recall Mr. Flansburg saying there will be no covers on the new album. Whatever. Nit ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:54:16 -0400 Subject: Re: Some + OAT + OAT In a message dated 96-07-17 15:53:40 EDT, NitpickR@aol.com writes: > In regards to the lefty discussion, someone said they do both. I can relate. > I was taught to do stuff with my right hand, when we belive I should be a > lefty. Things I pick up new, like frisbee and soccer I do lefty. My > handwriting is the same lefty and righty, but that isn't saying much. > Soccer? What, you get hands called on your left hand? Oops, heheheh... I am a bit worried about this 13 song album, this means no Toddler Hiway, no Shoehorn with Teeth, no Minimum Wage, no Hello Radio, no Spider, no Stompbox... I hope you see what I'm getting at, I will miss the short little songs that we have seen in the other albums, one thing that makes TMBG pretty darn unique... OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): An OAT is _never_ obligatory... OAT (yeah, you know): Never trust German webservers, especially if they are free, and in general, don't trust free servers (die geocities, die!) a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Some + OAT + OAT Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:18:30 -0500 (CDT) > I am a bit worried about this 13 song album, this means no Toddler Hiway, no > Shoehorn with Teeth, no Minimum Wage, no Hello Radio, no Spider, no > Stompbox... I hope you see what I'm getting at, I will miss the short little > songs that we have seen in the other albums, one thing that makes TMBG pretty > darn unique... ****HERE COMES THE DOOMSAYER**** You all know what trend I think that could be leading to..... ;) May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:18:39 -0400 (EDT) From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:31:28 -0700 From: Bob Scheu Subject: tmbg on iMusic Just a quick post to let the list know that Imusic has a couple of tmbg related new features. 1. iMusic Radio [1] is new to the internet and They Might Be Giants Belongs in rotation. But to get them in rotation, you must let us know you want it to happen. You can vote for (or against) any song in the rotation and directly affect the playlist for the next listener. It's a different playlist each time you hit the page. Nominate tmbg for an add to Imusic Radio [1] and keep the music in rotation! 2. We have just added a series of Bulletin Boards for artists we believe in and, of course, there is one for They Might be Giant. But no one knows about it yet, except you. Please check it out. iMusic is located at Hope you like it and visit often. ------------------------------ From: severe00@counsel.com Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 17:47:28 -0700 Subject: (no subject) Hey you guys, I really need a copy of Power of Dial-A-Song, c'mon, someone help me out!...........please...........pretty please "If it wasn't for disappointment I wouldn't have any appointments" ~~~~~~~~DaN~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: smiley42@baka.com (Jonah Gold) Subject: Re: 13 Songs Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:59:06 +0000 Adam P. Fistler wrote >With 13 songs I would hope they would dig up some old unrelased songs and >rerecord them and pass them as new material (ie become a robot and such) >but I don't think that will happen. If this album has 13 songs then that >will make this album an unlucky one... 13 songs may be not much for TMBG, a band which tends toward shorter songs, but for many bands, that's an average opr above average album length. I don't mean to suggest that TMBG has become more mainstream, but maybe that just means we'll have more standard length songs, like on John Henry(which I loved). ______________________________________________________________________________ "speak softly, drive a sherman tank. Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank." -They Might Be Giants "all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd Jonah Gold ______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:16:10 -0700 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-199 Jason Gohlke wrote: > TMBG-ish Content: Finally changed my quote based on my recent purchase of > the KITH Brain Candy sdtk. Had to have it, even though I knew Spiralling > Shape would be on the new album.... Is anyone else really annoyed by the > Cibo Matto "song" (rant?) though? Actually, I really like that song. I suppose I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, thought. I tend to enjoy, on occassion, music that rants (besides, it's FUN ranting!). Off the topic: I just bought "the guitar" single on vinyl last night - new, for $7. Now all I need is a turntable so I can listen to it. Way off the topic: I'm so excited! I just got tickets to Lollapalooza! Before the flaming starts, I don't care much about the Metallica-Soundgarden-[insert thrash band] line-up, but DEVO is going to be there (for all the California dates). Woohoo! De-evolving and lovin' it, Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 20:19:55 -0400 From: dragon Subject: Re: Totally Confused >In the immortal words of Pez: > >>And I've got a question (I don't know if its been covered yet) >>how does everyone interperet the "Go, go Satan Go" in DWDTN? Do you >>think its a "Satan, That rocks!" or a "Satan Begone!" I guess its kinda > >I would suggest that if it were in true TMBG spirit, it would mean >BOTH. > >-CB. > i could see that...if i saw Satan hanging ten, i'd cheer him on, but if he started lookin' at me, i'd want him out of there. and it's not that i'd want to cheer on evil, but Satan's sort of a celebrity, i think. heather "Sometimes in the evening, while you're asleep, I'll lay down beside you and baa like a sheep." --Adam Scott ------------------------------ From: michelhs@texas.net Date: Sat, 29 Jun 96 19:15:40 -0700 Subject: Tapeheads! Hey all- I have two cool tmbg "sightings" (listenings?) to report on: 1. I heard Purple Toupee on the radio today on the flashback lunch on 101X from Austin, Texas. It was pretty cool because mostly they just play stuff from Flood, so this was a nice change. 2. I rented this movie last night called "Tapeheads" and it was really funny. It was some cheesy flick from the 80's but it had John Cusack and Tim Robbins in it and my friends and I _swear_ we saw Bobcat Goldthwait and Courtney Love in it too. Anyway, (yes, this is TMBG related) during a chase scene they played Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head!!! It was so cool! If you get a chance to see this flick, rent it because it has other great music in it too and a really hilarious ninja fight. See ya- Emily "I was a sinner until I saw the Reverend Horton Heat!" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 22:34:41 -0500 (CDT) From: Marian Arlene Hemmenway Subject: Re: TMBG Live please post this info for everyone.. i'm interested and i'm sure others are too... On Thu, 10 Nov 1994, lstormo wrote: > -Does anyone have a copy of any live performances > of TMBG that you can tape for me? > -I'd be glad to pay for the tape and maybe and > additional fee. > > -Later- > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-200 ******************************