Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-201 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 201 Friday, 19 July 1996 Today's Topics: Mike vs. Joel hidden tracks? (none) Re: CIBO MATTO Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-200 Re: CIBO MATTO Re: cibo matto Goodbye Factory Showroom Older, TGL Re: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-200 John VS John Ska coffee JL Re: cibo matto Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] The Power of Dial A Song Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] J v. J... It's a matter of perspective... TMBG sharing stage with........a question for everybody Ana Ng live Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] Radio +OAT (was CIBO MATTO) IRC Chat playlists are crap Hello Club Re: Space Ghost . . . PODAS, LoFi, dnai. com, Miscellanii... Re: JL Re: Older, TGL Ana Ng live Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] I thought I was paranoid Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 07:56:54 -0400 Subject: Mike vs. Joel In a message dated 96-07-17 03:19:17 EDT, you write: > I don't want a = Mike vs. Joel (MST3k reference) type debate to start up! In my humble opinion, Joel was better::grin:: >I'm a lefty. This makes me partial to John F. But, I can't say that he >is my favorite Giant because I love them both.....and I happen to think >that Linnell is gorgeous :) >Just thought I'd post. >Amy :) Is it just me, or does a lot of the female population(myself included) like Linnell at least a little bit because he's so handsome? Erika ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 08:37:06 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: hidden tracks? About 13 tracks: What if they were to a "hidden" track or two? Like a track 14, not listed on the track list, or just some silence after track 13 then play another song. just my 2 1/2 cents ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:39:09 +0200 to: RE: VARIOUS STUFF...... >the Cibo Matto "song" (rant?) though? Erm... and Cibo Matto is what, precisely ? (ok I get the idea they're a band) What song does this refer to? I don't think Cibo Matto has hit Europe yet.... sounds like a Mexican carpet to me. >I don't mean to suggest that TMBG has become more mainstream, but maybe >that just means we'll have more standard length songs, like on John >Henry(which I loved). Just before we start another "Oh God, what if they become more commercial" paranoia-thread, and (I think) in agreement with the above, since when did the length of a song imply how mainstream it was? Since the opinions of new songs on this list has generally been very good, why worry about the new album? >i could see that...if i saw Satan hanging ten, i'd cheer him on, but if he >started lookin' at me, i'd want him out of there. and it's not that i'd >want to cheer on evil, but Satan's sort of a celebrity, i think. Strange - somehow I can't imagine Bill Gates surfing...... on a slightly more serious note, does the concept of the personification of the devil (or even the devil in any form) still exist?? Surely we've evolved past that point? Lastly (thank goodness), what is the availability of "Live In New York" in the States? You can't get it in Europe...... well, I've never seen it. Fritz "Every dogma has its day" ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: CIBO MATTO Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:14:31 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. Joyce Frost was wondering: > Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:40:52 -0600 (MDT) > From: Joyce Frost > Subject: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] > > Okies, My BF, who I love dearly, proclaims his hatred for TMBG everytime he > is around [I guess not all of us can be blessed by understanding such > incredible talent]; however, he heard one song of Cibo Matto album and > bought it. I can't stand the cd myself, yet he has tons of my friends > singing the "You got to know your chicken" song, but these insane people > declare their hatred for TMBG all the time too [Gods, the earth is full > of weirdos who obviously are lacking in some intelligence...]. My > question is, do you think there is some hypnotic suggestions in their[CM] > music that make people like them, and that people who listen to TMBG are > imune. If so, don't you think we should market this before everyone runs > around singing "I know my chicken, you got to know your chicken"???!!!! > -Joyce > > BTW: Which one of the mind altering songs is on that album? Well I, for one, think both CIBO MATTO and THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS are GREAT. In fact, John & John probably think so, too! I saw CIBO MATTO warm up for THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS and Tony Maimone joined CM for a song or two. Then again, I'm surprised how many of you seem to pick "O Do Not Forsake Me" as your least favorite TMBG tune. I was mesmerized the first time I heard JohnF sing it, opening a show at Lupo's in Providence in early '93. - Fred. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:38:07 -0400 (EDT) From: The Bard Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-200 If anyone has any tapes like The Power of Dial-A-Song, or the "pre-first" album, or any live performances they'd be willing to dub for a small fee, let me know... I'd love to get ahold of any of that type of stuff... The same goes for video tapes. Thanks! the bard (Loki on irc) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:42:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: CIBO MATTO On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Fred Boak wrote: > > incredible talent]; however, he heard one song of Cibo Matto album and > > bought it. I can't stand the cd myself, yet he has tons of my friends > > singing the "You got to know your chicken" song, but these insane people > > declare their hatred for TMBG all the time too [Gods, the earth is full > > of weirdos who obviously are lacking in some intelligence...]. My who cares? i don't care..my horse's ass is better than yours...(beef jerky) personally, i love the cibo matto, and i love tmbg. as for your whole suggestion theory, i think that's off...takes all kinds..takes all kinds...personally, i would recommend the cd to anyone with an open mind. my heart is like an artichoke.... > Well I, for one, think both CIBO MATTO and THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS > are GREAT. In fact, John & John probably think so, too! I saw > CIBO MATTO warm up for THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS and Tony Maimone > joined CM for a song or two. yeah! a kindred spirit!! sarah, who yes, does have the lyrics to birthday cake ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:49:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: cibo matto On Thu, 18 Jul 1996 gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl wrote: > > Erm... and Cibo Matto is what, precisely ? (ok I get the idea they're a band) > What song does this refer to? I don't think Cibo Matto has hit Europe yet.... > sounds like a Mexican carpet to me. cibo matto are two japenese women living in ny's east village. the name means food madness, and , hence, all their songs are about food or at least make references to food (theme is an example). the keyboardist yuka honda has said this, i thought this qoute was pretty cool myself, "there's so much music in new york, it's like i ate all this music, and now it's digested in my body" lastly, the food that best describes their sound is white pepper ice cream (good song too)- a sweet, spicy, cool and truly bizarre blend that tastes better than it should. sarah ------------------------------ Date: 18 Jul 96 10:52:38 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Goodbye *play road movie to berlin* Well I'm sorry, but we will be parting company for the next four weeks. I'm sorry. But if you mail me, remeber I won't be back till mid august so don't expect a speedy response. Goodbye people I'll see you when I'm back ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:12:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Factory Showroom >Well, nothing's really final, I suppose, until the album actually comes out... >What with all those unused, extra songs running about, I suspect the 13-song >limit is a bit off (that would just be too wierd...) Well....I have a suspicion that all the unused songs will see the light of day in recorded versions. First: TMBG always releases at least one (and sometimes two) EP's for each album with two to three new studio B-sides. That could account for anywhere from 3 to 6 of the leftover songs. Also, on Sonicnet, Flans said that in addition to the B-sides, Freaksickle (or whatever) will also include some live tracks *and some brand new songs!* I'll bet that whichever songs don't make it to the first EP will end up on Freaksickle, or, barring that, on the next Mono Puff EP/Album. /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:15:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Older, TGL >I know! The more I listen to it, the cooler it is! And what about "Older"? > How can they deprive us of "Older"? I must have that for my answering >machine! I know. I really need a studio version of Older. They Got Lost I can do without, but would still like to see. I really want to see a studio version of Reprehensible, though (and keep the clarinet solo!). /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Re: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-200 Date: 18 Jul 1996 15:59:46 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Yes, There are many of us who would love to get our hands on anything we can't get in stores. So, please, for the love of John, someone dub a few copies for us. Hey, you could even make some money... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:03:59 +0900 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: John VS John Do we HAVE to get back onto the John VS John thread????? They're both equally wonderful!!! John for his musical skill, and John for his performance/showmanship skills. They work together to be one John. I would say here that you can't have one John without the other, but I guess Mono Puff kind of disproves that theory. Although they are GREAT, Mono Puff is no TMBG... Also, I don't think Brian and Graham get enough recognition. Even Eric, who we haven't heard TOO much from yet, but we never know. These guys give the band a completeness and wholeness that really augments the Johns' talents and creativity. *deposits $.02* Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: 18 Jul 96 15:34:41 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@valley.net (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Ska I may post a few times before I go, and this is one of them. Today i was at the music store to see if there was anything i wanted to get for camp. I headed for the ska section, but something in reggae caught my eye. It was a 4 cd collection called the ska set. And to my surprise it was only 22 bucks. It is all old artists but it is great and is a total of 4 hours. I think any ska lovers should get it! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:17:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: coffee i was wondering, has anyone tried the john henry blend coffee you can get from the info club? it must be pretty good if john and john drink it before their shows... sarah ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:15:22 -0400 Subject: JL >Is it just me, or does a lot of the female population(myself included) like >Linnell at least a little bit because he's so handsome? >Erika Personally, I love JL. He is really handsome. At the concert, I loved the fact that he would stare at people (ME) in the audience. His eyes were really cool. :) tucker ------------------------------ Subject: Re: cibo matto Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:49:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Sarah Kunz: >cibo matto are two japenese women living in ny's east village. the name >means food madness, and , hence, all their songs are about food or at >least make references to food (theme is an example). the keyboardist yuka I happened upon an article on Cibo Matto in our campus newspaper while shuffling papers to and fro yesterday. "My weight is 300 pounds/My favorite is beef jerky/I'm a vagabond, I'm a vagabond/My mom says, `You are kinky!'/Who cares? I don't care/A horse's ass is better than yours/Let's eat carrots together until..." So go the lyrics to "Beef Jerky," a song about food and sex from Cibo Matto. That's pronounced Chee-bo Mott-o (Italian, sorta, for "crazy food"), a play off the '70s B-comedy Seso Matto (Sex Madness). In fact, all the songs on Viva! La Woman are about food and sex: "White Pepper I ce Cream," "Artichoke," "Know Your Chicken." Sex and food. An exhilarating combo. Sex, food and music. Even better. Leave it to two Japanese chicks from New York's Lower East Side to devise such a concept. The music is all over the place -- from bossa nova to swing to hip hop to riot grrl rap -- with squeaky bilingual vocals that stick in your head like molasses. [...] The rest of the article, and a picture of the duo, can be found at: http://www.daily.umn.edu/ae/Print/ISSUE17/femusic.html ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 96 18:44 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] >My question is, do you think there is some hypnotic suggestions in >their[CM] >music that make people like them, and that people who listen to TMBG are >imune. If so, don't you think we should market this before everyone runs >around singing "I know my chicken, you got to know your chicken"???!!!! Perhaps. It *would* explain a few things... I know that every time I hear that chicken song, I wonder around humming the chorus despite my sincere hatred for it. It usually takes some TMBG to cure me. There's another song on that cd, something about eating carrots, that every time he plays it the DJ here announces how much he hates it. Yet he plays it anyway. *Must* be hypnosis. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 18:53:10 -0400 (EDT) From: The person you love most in the world Subject: The Power of Dial A Song Hi, my name is Manny, and I'm a fan of They Might Be Giants. This is just like that meeting of AA I attended (kidding). Seriously, I would be very grateful if someone would be willing to make me a copy of "The Power of Dial A Song" tape that has been circulating. Please respond...somebody...anybody... *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emmanuel Donio (Manny) | A Poem about Flowers and Death | donio@freenet.tlh.fl.us | Sifting through the flower bed, hotcha@tmbg.org | And picking green and pink and red, | Then swiftly keeling over dead, Florida State University | Allergies, Allergies, Allergies... Tallahassee, Florida | *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:02:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > Perhaps. It *would* explain a few things... I know that every > time I hear that chicken song, I wonder around humming the chorus despite > my sincere hatred for it. It usually takes some TMBG to cure me. There's > another song on that cd, something about eating carrots, that every time > he plays it the DJ here announces how much he hates it. Yet he plays it > anyway. *Must* be hypnosis. oh, that song would be "beef jerky". cibo matto has very much caught me attention, and i really love them now. i'm also getting into stereolab and have been into pizzicato five and shonen knife for a long time..i guess i'm just into that sorta thing. btw, anyone else out there like esquivel?? sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:11:59 -0700 (PDT) From: stewart1@lightspeed.net (The Infamous BS) Subject: J v. J... It's a matter of perspective... I personally think that John is better than John... Although the one John does play the saxophone, the other does play the guitar... And although he does play the sax, I think the one that plays the accordian is more fun and writes better songs... wait a sec... am i confusing myself again... wait, I got it... I think John is better than John, because John writes better songs and John plays better instruments and John is just way cooler then John.... did I forget last Names again? oh well. It is all a matter of perspective though... so whoever whomever may like is the best. In the end, They might be Giants, and that is all that it comes down to ... Benjy >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< / \ Today I will wonder why people think they can change the world with a random bumper sticker. \ / >-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-< ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:05:02 -0400 Subject: TMBG sharing stage with........a question for everybody I've got a question for everybody. Someone asked me if TMBG had shared the stage with an older performer: either Elton John, Tony Bennett, or Billy Joel. I don't know which one it is though. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 96 19:47 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Ana Ng live Okay, I've never seen TMBG live, but on the two live bootlegs I have, when They do "Ana Ng" instead of saying the line about "I don't want the world, i just want your half" they leave it out or make funny noises or something. Is there a reason for this? Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:37:24 -0400 Subject: Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] In a message dated 96-07-18 18:47:23 EDT, kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: > Perhaps. It *would* explain a few things... I know that every > time I hear that chicken song, I wonder around humming the chorus despite > my sincere hatred for it. It usually takes some TMBG to cure me. There's > another song on that cd, something about eating carrots, that every time > he plays it the DJ here announces how much he hates it. Yet he plays it > anyway. *Must* be hypnosis Actually, it's something worse than that. I experienced something similar to that before Alanis Morrisette and Silverchair had grown on the local DJs. They'd say how much they hated, play it, say how much they hated it again. They are forced to play the songs on a playlist or something similar that they get from their station manager. By the way, a good way to win prizes on radio stations is to trash a band that the DJ hates too. Oh, I miss they days when they had that DJ that really liked tmbg. I don't listen to alternative radio anymore... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Radio +OAT (was CIBO MATTO) Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:15:09 -0400 : They are forced to play the songs on a playlist or something similar that : they get from their station manager. By the way, a good way to win prizes on : radio stations is to trash a band that the DJ hates too. Oh, I miss they : days when they had that DJ that really liked tmbg. I don't listen to : alternative radio anymore... Yeah, we have to work from a playlist...it sucks. That's the main reason that I skipped from the alternative/heavy metal station that I was at to talk radio. I could veer from the playlist every once in awhile, as I was on at 2 a.m., and nobody was listening anyway, so I would play weird stuff, TMBG, Old R.E.M., Weird Al, etc. etc. An example of "playlists out of control," I got from one of my former co-workers at the station...turns out that they were forced to play "Champagne Supernova" once an hour for a month. I was never lucky enough to be on one of the shifts where they gave away prizes, so don't try that stuff on me. My only complaint about talk radio is that we've got to play those damn SunSource brand commercials, Ginsana, Garlique...you know. I hate those.. ObOAT (yes, for me, they are obligatory): Wendy's Frosty headache, as I type. ObTMBGorMonoPuffContent: Considering going to the August show in D.C......anyone have more details on it? -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, It can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, LP Candidate 4 Pres ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: IRC Chat Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:18:01 -0400 The weekly IRC chat is in the process of being revived. There are some changes in venue. 1. We are now on Dalnet. (irc.dal.net) 2. Channel is still #tmbg 3. Wednesday nights, 2100 EDT BlueDawg -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, It can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, LP Candidate 4 Pres ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:42:28 -0500 Subject: playlists are crap ID>An example of "playlists out of control," I got from one of my former co-workers at the station...turns out that they were forced to play "Champagne Supernova" once an hour for a month. You think that's bad, you should listen to the Jacksonville area radio stations...one, 95.5, which I sometimes listen to because they play New Order, often plays a song half-hourly...once, I even heard "Wonderwall" followed by that Supernova song just twenty minutes later. And they claim they have variety. Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5578 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:45:40 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Hello Club I've been looking at the Hello Club discography and I've been wondering, if I were to order the catalogs of past years now, would I get the bonus cd things? (i.e. the demo tape, live in NY) Just wondering as I'm rattling the bars around this drinktank... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:51:03 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Space Ghost . . . On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Pez Man wrote: > Ok now for the stuff in between... How many others are addicted to Brak, > Zorak, and SG? They have a CD available for under 7 bucks (including > shipping and handling!!!!) but I think the only way you can learn about > it is through e-mailing him. I just sent off for mine - but one of my > friends just got his. I must say that any fan of tmbg would most > definately enjoy the haunting refrains of "Smells Like Cartoon Planet", > "Put your Socks on Mama." and "Bologna Sandwich" > I love Space Ghost! Especially Coast to Coast, but I must say it has been mighty weird this season. I haven't gottne much of a chance to see it since they moved it, I keep forgetting its on. The Evan Dorkin/ Sarah Dyer episodes are great! (Any other Milk and Cheese/ Dork! Fans out there in TMBG land?) Did you get the CD through the web site, or what? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:58:39 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: PODAS, LoFi, dnai. com, Miscellanii... Although I have been monitering (well, lurking) this list for a while now, I've not quite figured out what the Power of Dial-A-Song is yet. My only exposure to the wonder that is Dial-A-Song was on the now defunct dnai.com TMBG page- they had samples and that wonderful "What to Say on a European Tour" by out man Linell that had me sick to my stomach and in tears from laughing. I think I have that on my harddrive somewhere if anyone wants me to repost it (can I do that?). Whatever hapened to the dnai.com page? I go there and now it only says, "Gone Away." It makes me sad. Anyone have any info on its whereabouts? Also, what is LoFi again? On PODAS, if it is a comp tape of DAS songs, I too would like a copy please. E-mail info, please. I found Monopuff at Blockbuster music and was gouged for it, but I think it was worth every penny, even though I found it for three bucks less elsewhere. Still haven't found the darned single though. Oh well. *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:20:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: JL > >Is it just me, or does a lot of the female population(myself included) like > >Linnell at least a little bit because he's so handsome? > >Erika > > Personally, I love JL. He is really handsome. At the concert, I loved > the fact that he would stare at people (ME) in the audience. His eyes were > really cool. :) > tucker > I noticed that too....he seemed to be randomly glancing around the crowd, but then staring right at me.....at first I thought naw, just an illusion, but one never knows....:) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:40:41 -0400 From: "The Real Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Older, TGL Hi kids Well, as you may or may not have noticed, I will now be going by the name of 'The Real Mr. Klaw'. I had a chat with the 'other' Mr. Klaw here on the list, and it turns out that we're in a slight deadlock...but I'm not bitter...nobody wants a war...if we can't do business, we'll just shake hands and that'll be it. Now, on to bigger and better things: *Somewhere in the back of my mind I hear Joshua Hall-Bachner saying:* >I know. I really need a studio version of Older. They Got Lost I can do >without, but would still like to see. I really want to see a studio version >of Reprehensible, though (and keep the clarinet solo!). Now, I don't know how reliable this info is considering the newer info from Flansburgh himself, but in the July inverview with Linnell in Music and Computers this is what it says: M&C: What else is on the record? Linnell: We've got a new song called "They Got Lost," which is about TMBG. It's based on real events that happened to us, slightly fictionalized. It's a real show-stopper. Then we have "You're Older Than You've Ever Been." And, let's see, Flansburgh has just written a song that I think is a complete powerhouse. It's called "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?" ........." Once again, whether you believe this or not is up to you, I'm just saying what I've read. I certainly hope that TGL and Older will end up on the new album...those are two of my favourite new songs. I am pissed, however, that Reprehensible won't be appearing...I was dying to hear Linnell play another clarinet solo. Oh well, maybe it will be a single. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Ana Ng live Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 00:33:04 -0400 (EDT) > Okay, I've never seen TMBG live, but on the two live bootlegs I > have, when They do "Ana Ng" instead of saying the line about "I don't want > the world, i just want your half" they leave it out or make funny noises > or something. Is there a reason for this? In all the concerts I've been to I've never once heard them say this line. Maybe they just like to make those funny noises as a change from saying the line? Or maybe they think that's a bit to pompous of them? hehehe I dunno. Tis a good question. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: CIBO MATTO [It's not just for chickens anymore *HELP*] Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 00:36:05 -0400 (EDT) > > In a message dated 96-07-18 18:47:23 EDT, kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: > > > Perhaps. It *would* explain a few things... I know that every > > time I hear that chicken song, I wonder around humming the chorus despite > > my sincere hatred for it. It usually takes some TMBG to cure me. There's > > another song on that cd, something about eating carrots, that every time > > he plays it the DJ here announces how much he hates it. Yet he plays it > > anyway. *Must* be hypnosis > Actually, it's something worse than that. I experienced something similar to > that before Alanis Morrisette and Silverchair had grown on the local DJs. > They'd say how much they hated, play it, say how much they hated it again. > They are forced to play the songs on a playlist or something similar that > they get from their station manager. By the way, a good way to win prizes on > radio stations is to trash a band that the DJ hates too. Oh, I miss they > days when they had that DJ that really liked tmbg. I don't listen to > alternative radio anymore... Seems kinda bizarre that a DJ could cut on a band and really say they hate them when the station is playing the band. You'd thinbk they'd lose their job pretty quickly. None of the DJs around here cut on the bands they play, even though there's a bunch of bands on the radio that do suck ;) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 01:18:00 -0400 Subject: I thought I was paranoid Hello 41- "I noticed that too....he seemed to be randomly glancing around the crowd, but then staring right at me.....at first I thought naw, just an illusion, but one never knows....:)" Well, I thought I was just being really paranoid, because I thought at two shows he either stared directly at me, or someone really close to me. I couldn't take it. I could never look back for too long at one time. Attractiveness- I may be alone on this one, and I know I'm not anywhere near the authority on this, but I find Mr. Flansburg more handsome. I never really liked Mr. Linnel's neck and teeth, though he has nice eyes. I thought Mr. Flansburg looked best during the Apollo 18 phase, and during the Pink Album stage. A lean, mean, rockin machine! Nit ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-201 ******************************