Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-202 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 202 Saturday, 20 July 1996 Today's Topics: Bootlegs, Anyone? Dial----A----SONG factory showroom Re: JL Re: JL hey you Re: Mike vs. Joel Re: your mail Re: Ana Ng live Reverse Copy's John L.'s spooky eyes Anyone there? Diary Re: playlists are crap Re: Anyone there? Re: playlists are crap The Heat is driving me crazy +OAT Re: John L.'s spooky eyes Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 19 Jul 96 02:24:22 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: Bootlegs, Anyone? Okay, here's the deal. I want to acquire some bootleg TMBG. I do not, however have any bootleg TMBG to trade for bootleg TMBG. I have little of value to offer. I do however, have one copy, still in it's origional shrinkwrap & musicstore pricetag a copy of Live X II. Atlanta's only decent commercial station, 99X produced a collection of acoustic sets from all sorts of folks to benefit pediatriac AIDS charities. Only a few thousand (?) or so were made. This collection has: Tony Bennett-"Steppin' out" Sheryl Crow-"All I Wanna Do" Automatic Baby (R.E.M & U2 together)-"One" James-"laid" Cranberries-"Zombie" Toad the wet sprocket-"Fall Down" Tori Amos-"Crucify" Crowded House-"Locked out" Material Issue-"kim the waitress" Sarah Mclaughlin-"Good Enough" LIVE-"Operation Spirit" Sam Phillips-"I Need Love" Love Spit Love-"Am I Wrong" Tony Bennett-"I left my heart in San Francisco" TMBG did a Live X session, but they did not put them on this collection. Maybe volume 3? I will be willing to trade my extra copy of this for one CD bootleg TMBG or Two tape bootleg TMBG. I will also trade this cd for a used 1983 Kawasaki KZ550 C4 LTD, running or not. :) Lemmee Know-ALANCOOK@MSN.COM ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jul 96 08:47:04 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) Subject: Dial----A----SONG To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Someone, anyone, I need a copy of PODAS, or I'm going to die. Oh ya, A while back a local radio station played a best of in studio preformances that had a large segment of TMBG, on it they did a really cool, wigged out version of James Ensor, and they did End of the Tour, and some others, anyone else hear that by chance? "As I think, I'm using up the time left to think" ~~~~~~~~~DaN~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: factory showroom Date: Fri, 19 Jul 96 11:26:33 -0500 When is Factory Showroom coming out? September???? Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:33:33 -0400 Subject: Re: JL In a message dated 96-07-19 00:52:40 EDT, agreen@moo.onu.edu (Amy) writes: > I noticed that too....he seemed to be randomly glancing around the crowd, > but then staring right at me.....at first I thought naw, just an > illusion, but one never knows....:) One time I went to see Bush because No Doubt opening for them and I thought it might be neat. So I was down in that mosh pit when Bush came on and that freak leadsinger guy was staring at me, maybe it was because I was flicking him off for an hour. I will never again hear the words "stop pushing me" from so many preppie college kids wearing baseball caps... Oh, yeah, one more thing... in the background on this tv screen it flashed the words "Everything you know is wrong" and also "TV is the death of a nation" (on a tv heheheheh)... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:58:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: JL On Fri, 19 Jul 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > you know is wrong" and also "TV is the death of a nation" (on a tv > heheheheh)... you know, heroes of hiprocrisy have a really good album called "television: the drug of the nation" that's a good song on there as well. just thought i'd share. sarah ps. last call for cibo matto lyrics. i don't want to have to type them out 20 more times... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jul 96 14:38:43 EDT From: severe00@counsel.com (Stanley E Everett -- Brouse ^ McDowell - Akron ) Subject: hey you To: kelly@dataplusnet.com Inet To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Inet Hey Kelly, how's it going? You home by any chance? if you are write me um dan ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 15:03:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: Mike vs. Joel > Is it just me, or does a lot of the female population(myself included) like > Linnell at least a little bit because he's so handsome? > Erika who has seen the TMBG interview in "Music & Computers Magazine" recently? the first page of that interview...sheesh...! i find flans rather nicer-looking! linnell varies...(as does flans)...sometimes he is a cutie, and sometimes he just has a few too many bulbous protrusions on his face... ;) (kidding guys, but DO take a look at said picture!) --fransburgh! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 15:06:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: your mail > Just before we start another "Oh God, what if they become more commercial" > paranoia-thread, and (I think) in agreement with the above, since when did the > length of a song imply how mainstream it was? Since the opinions of new songs > on this list has generally been very good, why worry about the new album? hahaha! good point! try listening to a 13 minute long skinny puppy song, and THEN call them mainstream! seeya...(sorry about a second post, guys!) --~fransburgh~! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Ana Ng live Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 14:08:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >> Okay, I've never seen TMBG live, but on the two live bootlegs I >> have, when They do "Ana Ng" instead of saying the line about "I don't want >> the world, i just want your half" they leave it out or make funny noises >> or something. Is there a reason for this? >In all the concerts I've been to I've never once heard them say this line. >Maybe they just like to make those funny noises as a change from saying >the line? Or maybe they think that's a bit to pompous of them? hehehe If memory serves, at the two shows I saw on the most recent tour, Flans actually SANG this line in a funky falsetto sorta way. But he ran out of time before he finished and Linnell resumed the rest of the song. -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Reverse From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 15:38:58 EDT Are there any hidden messages that appear when played backward? Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: Copy's From: freon@juno.com (Cody J Reynolds) Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 15:58:44 EDT I keep seeing requests for a copy of this, a dub of that. But isn't that illegal? Aren't they copywrited? Cody Reynolds Freon@juno.com ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 16:30:20 -0400 (EDT) Subject: John L.'s spooky eyes >"I noticed that too....he seemed to be randomly glancing around the crowd, >but then staring right at me.....at first I thought naw, just an >illusion, but one never knows....:)" > >Well, I thought I was just being really paranoid, because I thought at two >shows he either stared directly at me, or someone really close to me. I >couldn't take it. I could never look back for too long at one time. > >Attractiveness- I may be alone on this one, and I know I'm not anywhere near >the authority on this, but I find Mr. Flansburg more handsome. I never >really liked Mr. Linnel's neck and teeth, though he has nice eyes. I thought >Mr. Flansburg looked best during the Apollo 18 phase, and during the Pink >Album stage. A lean, mean, rockin machine! > Personally, as far as looks go, neither of the Johns is my dream man, but that's immaterial. The fact is that I've seen TMBG six times with various groups of people, and after every show everyone in my group (including me) insists that John L. was staring specifically at them for the whole show. I fervently believe that he is possessed of spooky alien powers. stevie. ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 19:45:01 -0400 Subject: Anyone there? I think it was April '95, the TMBG show at the Avalon in Boston. Hmmm, April 25th maybe? I can't really remeber, but what I'm looking for is the opening band's name. Was it The Nelories? I saw that name on a TMBG newsletter I got, and it seemed they were on a Hello Club cd or something. Anyway, they're two chinese (japanese?) girls, and all they had on stage with them was a computer/keyboard thingy. Please Help! I really would like to listen to their music again. Thanks. Princess ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Diary Date: Fri, 19 Jul 96 21:28:19 18000 Dear Diary- Today I had the weirdest dream.... it was all about how They Might Be Giant's music (For some reason, especially Birdhouse) made all my classes come together in peace and harmony and never act like morons again..... TMBG: The Secret to world Peace? About J Vs. J: Hrm... my opinion has changed around a lot ever since I kept learning about the band. At first, I liked John L. better because he sang more of the songs (I thought). Then, as I saw interviews and videos, I found out that Flans has a better (seemingly) personality, so I liked him better... now I don't know, I think I will wait for the Factory Showroom tour and decide at the concert! :) And can whoever posted the so-called "Diary of an AOL user" send it to me again? I want to insult my father with it :) -Tom I guess (Not John) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 22:18:00 -0400 From: angstgirl Subject: Re: playlists are crap > >ID>An example of "playlists out of control," I got from one of my former >co-workers at the station...turns out that they were forced to play >"Champagne Supernova" once an hour for a month. > >You think that's bad, you should listen to the Jacksonville area radio >stations...one, 95.5, which I sometimes listen to because they play New >Order, often plays a song half-hourly...once, I even heard "Wonderwall" >followed by that Supernova song just twenty minutes later. And they >claim they have variety. > While we're all trashing Oasis...(did anyone hear the lounge-singer-esque cover that somebody did of Wonderwall? I heard it was very funny but I never actually heard the song. If you know who did it, could you let me know? thanks. now back to the sentence in progress.) I have some friends who make fun of them by saying, "Thank you; we are Oasis!" in a mock-gansta style, and then they break into Champagne Supernova in cheesy fake British accents. Anyone who says they are the next Beatles and isn't being ironic should be shot. And hey, at least y'all don't live in Thunder Bay, where we have two rock stations, two country stations, and two CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation...ie, public broadcasting...ie, nothing very good except every once in a while when they play Moxy Fruvous or something) stations and that's it. We don't even have a stinkin' college station. Can't we all write to radio stations requesting TMBG...or call in when they have a request period? Would that make any difference to the evil corporate entities? heather "I can feel the clammy hand of death on my shoulder...oh wait, that's my hand." --Grampa Simpson ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 22:17:59 -0400 From: angstgirl Subject: Re: Anyone there? > I think it was April '95, the TMBG show at the Avalon in Boston. Hmmm, >April 25th maybe? I can't really remeber, but what I'm looking for is the >opening band's name. Was it The Nelories? I saw that name on a TMBG >newsletter I got, and it seemed they were on a Hello Club cd or something. >Anyway, they're two chinese (japanese?) girls, and all they had on stage with >them was a computer/keyboard thingy. > Please Help! I really would like to listen to their music again. >Thanks. > >Princess > it couldn't have been cibo matto, could it? that would just be too weird. heather "Why didn't she just leave me the bowel blockage that killed her?" --Mrs. Bouvier ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 23:04:38 -0500 Subject: Re: playlists are crap SE>While we're all trashing Oasis...(did anyone hear the lounge-singer-esque SE>cover that somebody did of Wonderwall? I heard it was very funny but I SE>never actually heard the song. If you know who did it, could you let me SE>know? That is by the Mike Flowers Pop. The video used to come on 120 Minutes quite a bit. It's so hilarious! Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5578 ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: The Heat is driving me crazy +OAT Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 23:36:11 -0400 Well, I suppose that this could be an OAT by itself, but it is 11:30 at night, it the heat index is *still* 90 degrees here in Newport News. As my grandmother would say, "It's hot as dog's breath out there!" ObOAT: Playlists again...well, I think I might have gotten Mono on one of the local underground stations' playlists. I must reiterate *underground*. They have a five-thousand watt transmitter, and are A.M. 1550. You do the math. (Smaller the frequency number, greater the wattage, better the range...i.e. one of the other local stations, 850 (WNIS Norfolk, VA), is a 50,000 watt transmitter, and reaches all the way to Delaware and South Carolina at night.) Their range, shall we say, isn't great. I can only bring them in at night, and that requires my big tuner. I can't get 'em on my Walkman. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 02:53:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: John L.'s spooky eyes On Fri, 19 Jul 1996 stevie@interport.net wrote: > > Personally, as far as looks go, neither of the Johns is my dream man, but > that's immaterial. The fact is that I've seen TMBG six times with various > groups of people, and after every show everyone in my group (including me) > insists that John L. was staring specifically at them for the whole show. I > fervently believe that he is possessed of spooky alien powers. > > stevie. > Well, if you have the bootleg video, I've noticed several times where JL's eyes seem to be *glowing*, furthering the possibility of spooky alien powers. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-202 ******************************