Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-203 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 203 Sunday, 21 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Ana Ng live Re: Reverse Re: John L.'s spooky eyes Re: playlists are crap Re: MP Chat 'n' stuff mono wonderwall staring Re: wonderwall Once again...Please! Re: Once again...Please! re: Once again....PLEASE new thread? Donuts +OAT Re: playlists are crap Bruce Lee's She's an Angel Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Ana Ng live Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 10:41:19 -0500 (EST) Chris Bongaarts writes: > > If memory serves, at the two shows I saw on the most recent tour, > Flans actually SANG this line in a funky falsetto sorta way. But he > ran out of time before he finished and Linnell resumed the rest of the > song. > Hmm, every time I've seen them recently he sang the entire thing with perfect timing. My favorite variant, however, is still: "I don't want your stuff... I just want your *good* stuff!" m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Reverse Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 10:48:15 -0500 (EST) Cody Reynolds writes: > > Are there any hidden messages that appear when played backward? > Yes. And amazingly enough, there is a section devoted to this frequently discussed topic in the FAQ: http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html This fine FAQ is also accessible via links from the Unofficial TMBG website, http://www.tmbg.org/ m@t ------------------------------ From: PinkPrnces@aol.com Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 13:07:22 -0400 Subject: Re: John L.'s spooky eyes I, too, have had the experience three, count 'em three, times of thinking "Omigod! He's staring at me!!!!" and then later finding out that someone about five feet from me thought the same thing. And someone on the other side of me thought he was staring at her. And someone next to her thought that too. And so on and so on. I think he just stares at a certain part of the audience (opposite side of the stage from him, kinda in front of Flansy) for most of the time, and he probably knows all the people that are in love with him are saying "Omigod!! He's staring at me!!!" I also noticied that Flans usually just stares up up and away from the crowd. If there was a balcony, he would be staring there. Or maybe not. :) That was probably, what, 31/2 cents? Princess ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 13:46:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: playlists are crap On Fri, 19 Jul 1996 simpatico@daccess.net wrote: > SE>While we're all trashing Oasis...(did anyone hear the lounge-singer-esque > SE>cover that somebody did of Wonderwall? I heard it was very funny but I > SE>never actually heard the song. If you know who did it, could you let me > SE>know? > > That is by the Mike Flowers Pop. The video used to come on 120 Minutes > quite a bit. It's so hilarious! man, i loved that video too!! does the mike flowers pop have any albums, or do they just cover random songs? i can still hear that guy singing it...it's so great! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 20:19:53 -0400 From: dragon Subject: Re: MP Chat 'n' stuff >>Plus, a question: Has anyone subscribed to the info club >>gotten a newsletter since the holiday issue? Have there been any new >>ones since then? my question is: how does one subscribe to the info club? and is it even really worth it since you people don't seem to be getting anything? > Joy! Another lefty! Any other lefties out there? yes, i'm a lefty. and i happen to think that we're generally a creative, intelligent, talented, and cool group of people. but you can't really generalize about something like that and not be argued with, so i'll modify that from lefties to TMBG fans. better? heather "I got hit by a streetcar." --Paul Bates ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: mono Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:01:41 -0400 (EDT) I've received some of your letters for tapes and trades for the Monopoof show. The first batch should be out soon, I haven't been able to get them out right away because I've been in Virginia for the past couple days and now I'm going up to Lancaster, PA (hi Fran!) so the first few should go out at the beginning of the week. See ya'alls Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: wonderwall Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:09:08 -0400 (EDT) I saw the video for that 70s-ish Wonderwall and it was hilarious! It was the Mike Flowers band I think, it was many months ago so my memory may not serve me. Also, on the local radio statoin 98 Rock (which actually sucks) has these funny Twisted Tunes where they take the original song and get someone (usually) who sounds close to the singer of the song but they change the lyrics around. Well, they called it Wonderbread and the singer talked about how he loved Wonderbread so much and it was just hilarious. Matt out -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: staring Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:24:15 -0400 (EDT) I think I might have had that feeling of being stared at by John L. The thing is he has to star at *someone* at sometime. What is he going to do look at the ceiling? That'd look even more odd, and it sure can't be good for the neck. I guess I don't quite get that same staring feeling from Flans but Linnell seems to have these beady eyes (no doubt from the massive amounts of coffee he drinks, have you seen the boy lately? he's very very veiny and somewhat pale, course that could just be the stage lights!). I must say that the Flans side of the stage is the way to go, get right in front of him and it's rockin' and rollin' time!! Especially when he flings his guitar out into the audience and ya get to play it. As far as the Ana Ng thing, how come I've never ever once heard either of them say the I don't Want the World I just Want your Half part in 14 concerts? Maybe it's just the Washington, DC area that makes him not want to say it? Is he worried Clinton's secret service police will bash the hell out of them for saying this? hmmm , makes you wonder. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:37:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: wonderwall On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Matthew James wrote: > (which actually sucks) has these funny Twisted Tunes where they take > the original song and get someone (usually) who sounds close to the singer > of the song but they change the lyrics around. Well, they called it > Wonderbread and the singer talked about how he loved Wonderbread so much > and it was just hilarious. yeah, one of my local stations, which also sucks, did that sorta thing to. i remember the song " you psycho whore" a guys retort to alanis (crindge) morrisette's rant "you oughta know". very funny stuff. especially when he sings about the theatre..hehehe sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 18:41:21 -0400 (EDT) From: The person you love most in the world Subject: Once again...Please! I was just sitting down thinking to myself, wouldn't a chocolate eclair be nice right about now? And then, I thought, what about They Might Be Giant's "Power of Dial A Song" tape? Wouldn't it be just spiffy if some kind soul had the heart and inclination to dub a copy for sweet little old me? I'd sure love that. My dream is to one day sit down on my bed, "Power of Dial A Song" playing and chocolate eclair in my hand and mouth, just sort of relaxing. A humble dream, I know, but one that still seems to be escaping my grasp. Hint Hint Hint Hint... *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emmanuel Donio (Manny) | A Poem about Flowers and Death | donio@freenet.tlh.fl.us | Sifting through the flower bed, hotcha@tmbg.org | And picking green and pink and red, | Then swiftly keeling over dead, Florida State University | Allergies, Allergies, Allergies... Tallahassee, Florida | *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Re: Once again...Please! Date: 21 Jul 1996 01:04:05 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine ditto. minus the chocolate eclair part. You see, I'm a strawberry frosting type of man myself. But nothing would beat a strawberry frosting donut, and the Power of Dial-A-Song tape. Yum yum. Of course, we may have to wait until we're in Heaven before we ever hear it. Someone just doesn't want to dispense any joy. So I guess I'll just have to sit in Dunkin' Donuts making fun of all the other people sitting in Dunkin' Donuts (making fun of all the other people...) and eat my strawberry frosted donut. And listening to that HORRIBLE Dunkin' Donuts music (Ack!!!). Unless, somebody decides to have a heart, and... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 22:30:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: re: Once again....PLEASE Ok, ok, I'll be nice and send on the donuts....:) ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 22:33:31 -0400 Subject: new thread? In a message dated 96-07-20 03:24:15 EDT, you write: >Well, if you have the bootleg video, I've noticed several times where >JL's eyes seem to be *glowing*, furthering the possibility of spooky >alien powers. :) This could become an interesting thread..."Is John Linnell actually FROM Earth?" My, slightly soggy, two cents, Erika ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Donuts +OAT Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 22:55:59 -0400 I, personally, like Boston Creme donuts. It's fun to get stuff all over your face when you're eating something. :) Powdered donuts are also fun, especially when I'm wearing black (nearly all the time). OAT: we finally had a front come through, and it finally cooled off a bit. ObTMBGorMonoPuffContent: Linnell's article. Too bad they use macs...I found a great *free* MIDI sequencer for my system today. Now I just need to get an interface cable. ObTMBG II: Is DAS back up??? -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 23:34:34 -0500 (CDT) From: Marian Arlene Hemmenway Subject: Re: playlists are crap On Fri, 19 Jul 1996 simpatico@daccess.net wrote: > SE>While we're all trashing Oasis...(did anyone hear the lounge-singer-esque > SE>cover that somebody did of Wonderwall? I heard it was very funny but I > SE>never actually heard the song. If you know who did it, could you let me > SE>know? > > That is by the Mike Flowers Pop. The video used to come on 120 Minutes > quite a bit. It's so hilarious! I was lucky enough to find it on a promo cd i got from $3 digging through the bargain bins... ohh, the joy of saving! =) -jason ------------------------------ From: psavage@vt.edu (Patrick Savage) Subject: Bruce Lee's She's an Angel Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 05:44:14 GMT If anyone is interested, I've made a recording of The Bruce Lee Band's ska-esque cover of She's an Angel and put it in /incoming on ftp.tmbg.org. Check it out...it's pretty cool. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-203 ******************************