Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-205 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 205 Tuesday, 23 July 1996 Today's Topics: Nitpickey stuff of course Re: Monopuff on MTV Re: tmbg listers rock! Re: Good Day IRC Re: Good Day Live Tapes. Re: Space Ghost . . . re Space Ghost . . . Slagging Oasis +OAT Re: Space Ghost . . . John L. an alien Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 03:44:14 -0400 Subject: Nitpickey stuff of course Hello 41- A few things... First of all, I have a new game! I have all five studio albums, or whatever you want to call them, in my disc changer, and put the player on shuffle. I see how fast I can get the songs. I do pretty well. <<(not "Mike Flowers Pop" - sorry to be pedantic)>> No, the word is nitpickey! 8^) About that kind of cover thing, I heard a band called somthing like "Nine Inch Richards" once, and as you could guess, it's a rip on Nine Inch Nails. Pretty funny stuff, me not being a NIN fan. The last thing I was thinking of was the great similarity between TMBG and The Greatful Dead. You can all think about this one (unless it's been mentioned, and I missed it) and I'll write about it in a few days. Nit ------------------------------ Date: 22 Jul 96 09:37:03 EDT From: Torsten Reimer <101534.3431@CompuServe.COM> Subject: Re: Monopuff on MTV Hi everyone! I'm new to the list (subscribed a few weeks ago) and writing for the first time because of a exciting experience I had yesterday: While waiting for a telephone call I absent-minded listened to MTV (Europe - I'm from Germany) -there was a programme about sports and models (at least that's all I could get), but it had cool background music. As I wanted to turn down the tv they played a few seconds of Monopuff's "The devil..."!!!! I was very surpised by this because already TMBG are not so popular in Germany and nearly no one seems to know about MP. So if there is someone at MTV who likes MP they perhaps will play the video (you can guess what I'm doing right now since I never saw a video of TMBG or MP :) ). For the survey (I'm a little bit late but I had much work during the last days): Favourite album: Lincoln Favourite song: Birdhouse or Absolutely Bill's Mood - depending on my mood Favourite giant: As far as Their music is concerned I like Them both - personally I never got a chance to meet Them, so, how could I judge? Least favourite song: You'll Miss Me Favourite video: Never seen any ): Least favourite album: Misc T Torsten ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 10:31:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, > i think...?) i think TMBG fans rock! > ok, sorry, but i had to splurge...i dont post very often! > --fransburghler > oh, then i guess you don't like me..=( must be yet another sarah in the vastnesness of the tmbg universe sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jul 96 12:45 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Good Day Well, whaddya know. Yesterday I was at the local cool record store (as opposed to the lame ones that don't have anything good) and I found, in the used cds section, Mono Puff! For five bucks! Of course, I'd already blown my wad on a Sid Vicious t-shirt, so I had to have my brother buy it for me. He now gets to pick any one of my cds to take with him to college, but it was worth it. I love "Devil Went Down to Newport" & "Don't I Have the Right" and every other track on that cd. "Don't Break the Heart" sounds really, *really* familiar. Is it a remake, or is my mind just doing weird things to me? I dunno... Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: IRC Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:13:22 -0400 here's the scoop. Wed. night...2100 EDT irc.dal.net channel: #tmbg BlueDawg OAT: nothing really, so sue me. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Good Day Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:58:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Andreas Baeuchle: > Bought the new (not really new) Bare Naked Ladies. Love it. > Actually its the only one I own. Are there any other albums I should > look into? The consensus seems to be that their album "Gordon" is the "best". I highly recommend BNL, btw. -CB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 21:31:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Live Tapes. I've got "Live In NYC" and a >copy< of "Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band." A couple of people expressed some interest, so if you want copies, my e-mail address is right up there in the corner. It sometimes takes me awhile to get things recorded (There are things in my life other than copying TMBG albums), but I always return tapes that are sent to me. I believe there are others on this list who can vouch for my integrity. -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:34:39 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Space Ghost . . . >Ok loosely related to tmbg but I'll tie it in a little - Cartoon planet >Ocasionally opens with TMBG's No one knows my plan and in the credits >they say They Might Be Giants Makes Pretty Music. > >Ok now for the stuff in between... How many others are addicted to Brak, >Zorak, and SG? They have a CD available for under 7 bucks (including >shipping and handling!!!!) but I think the only way you can learn about >it is through e-mailing him. I just sent off for mine - but one of my >friends just got his. I must say that any fan of tmbg would most >definately enjoy the haunting refrains of "Smells Like Cartoon Planet", >"Put your Socks on Mama." and "Bologna Sandwich" I love Brak and Zorak! All hail Brak! Space Ghost is OK too. Cartoon Planet forever! I kind of prefer Cartoon Planet to SGC2C, because it tends to be wackier, and has BRAK and is twice as long. But the SGC2C with Joel Hodgson and the 2001 parody was better than Cartoon Planet on its best days... Now for something practical. I have a collection of bootleg Cartoon Planet music, but this CD is for real? Where can one find it? Please tell me. TMBG Relevance: Cartoon Planet never uses "No one knows my plan" in their opening anymore, and they don't credit it in the end. It's only used for commercial bumpers. Anyone know why? To fuel the flame: Joel over Mike, Linnell over Flans. Sarah Cooke If you believe the cosmos is made up of omelette, you build instruments specifically designed to find traces of intergalactic yolk. --James Burke ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 23:45:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: re Space Ghost . . . Yes! this CD is for real. Here is the address :) ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:26:58 -0400 From: SGC2C@aol.com To: agreen@moo.onu.edu Subject: Re: info about the CD Send a check or money order made payable to The Cartoon Network in the amount of $6.71. The mailing address is: Cartoon Network Modern Music for Swinging Superheroes 1050 Techwood Dr NW Atlanta, Ga 30318 ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Slagging Oasis +OAT Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 00:35:55 -0400 Well, another cheap shot at Oasis...the nighttime DeeJay just proved that not only they want to be the Beatles, but have copied the Beatles. Listen to the first few bars of John Lennon's "Imagine," and then listen to the first few bars of Oasis's "Don't Look Back in Anger." They are identical, except for the instrumentation. OAT: Yeah, it's late, but I've been working afternoons because the normal DeeJay is sick (I hope it's Ebola; the guy is a jerk). I'm currently DLing Visual Java from Micro$oft and working on tmbg.org. ObTMBGorMonoPuffContent: We need interps!! Take a look at what is there, and try folks, try!! -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Space Ghost . . . Date: Tue, 23 Jul 96 1:10:22 18000 > I love Brak and Zorak! All hail Brak! Space Ghost is OK too. Cartoon > Planet forever! I kind of prefer Cartoon Planet to SGC2C, because it tends > to be wackier, and has BRAK and is twice as long. But the SGC2C with Joel > Hodgson and the 2001 parody was better than Cartoon Planet on its best > days... > Y'know, I'm not a big guy, but I'll crawl ya. :) > Now for something practical. I have a collection of bootleg Cartoon Planet > music, but this CD is for real? Where can one find it? Please tell me. > > TMBG Relevance: Cartoon Planet never uses "No one knows my plan" in their > opening anymore, and they don't credit it in the end. It's only used for > commercial bumpers. Anyone know why? > My personal hypothesis it that either a. TMBG did not want to be associated with the show anymore or b. Cartoon planet Decided tehy didn't want the song anymore (money reasons or maybe they found a better one) > To fuel the flame: Joel over Mike, Linnell over Flans. joel Forever! > > Sarah Cooke > > If you believe the cosmos is made up of omelette, > you build instruments specifically designed to find traces > of intergalactic yolk. --James Burke > > > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 02:39:18 -0400 (EDT) Subject: John L. an alien >:) This could become an interesting thread..."Is John Linnell actually FROM >Earth?" If you require further proof, check out his picture at ftp.tmbg.org. I saw it at like 3:00am and got so scared I had to turn on all my lights. stevie. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-205 ******************************