Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 206 Wednesday, 24 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Slagging Oasis +OAT Re: No Subject Re: IRC (none) stuff. from line Re: tmbg listers rock! Re: tmbg listers rock! Food...*mumble*...IRC...*mumble* Re: tmbg listers rock! Re: tmbg listers rock! Nine Inch Richards The Devil Went Down... Re: tmbg listers rock! Re: The Devil Went Down... Re: tmbg listers rock! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:30:05 PST Subject: Re: Slagging Oasis +OAT From: niloc@juno.com (Colin T Kriebel) On Tue, 23 Jul 1996 00:35:55 -0400 "BlueDawg" writes: >Well, another cheap shot at Oasis...the nighttime DeeJay just proved >that not >only they want to be the Beatles, but have copied the Beatles. Listen >to the >first few bars of John Lennon's "Imagine," and then listen to the >first few >bars of Oasis's "Don't Look Back in Anger." They are identical, >except for >the instrumentation. I don't particularly care about Oasis one way or ther other (I don't like 'em but thier music doesn't get on my nerves like say, Mariah Carrey or other such tripe) but they have publicly stated that the opening of "Don't look back in anger" IS the opening of Imagine. So yes they are ripping Lennon off (or it could be a tribute, IMO it's the former rather than the latter) but they aren't trying to hide the fact. TMBG Content: I finally got my own copy of Apollo 18 on CD today, I was able to listen to it in shuffle mode in all it's glory for the first time. Rapture! Happy happy! Joy joy! (previously I had to borrow a friends copy of A18 and my old CD player didn't have random play, thank goodness for my new CD-ROM drive!) Now I've got all the regular albums on tape and CD, still need Misc. T though. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 07:17:09 -0400 Subject: Re: No Subject In a message dated 96-07-22 01:53:33 EDT, gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl writes: > FACT: For their first couple of albums The Beatles were NOT particularly > imaginative or original - they played three-minute pop songs with very > little > lyrical content other than the usual love songs. To compare Oasis to The > Beatles (whether in a positive or a negative fashion) is pointless at this > stage of their career - they COULD be the next Beatles, and no I'm not being > ironic because it's true. A new(ish) band cannot be judged upon the entire > back-catalogue of another. But there is something very important here that you are forgetting. In the beginning the beatles were innocent and had never had the influence of drugs... Oasis is already under the influence of drugs, it hasn't done much for them... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 07:17:15 -0400 Subject: Re: IRC In a message dated 96-07-22 13:15:06 EDT, idiotnot@visi.net (BlueDawg) writes: > here's the scoop. > > Wed. night...2100 EDT > irc.dal.net > channel: #tmbg And miss Wally Pleasant and his slideshow? Hell no! a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:52:45 +0200 to: NitpickR@aol.com wrote: ><<(not "Mike Flowers Pop" - sorry to be pedantic)>> No, the word is >nitpickey! 8^) No, it's definitely pedantic...... >The last thing I was thinking of was the great similarity between TMBG and >The Greatful Dead. You can all think about this one (unless it's been Surely you mean The Grateful Dead (I told you it was pedantic) Torsten Reimer wrote: >TMBG are not so popular in Germany and nearly no one seems to know about MP. So What? You mean you aren't contented with "The Kelly Family"??????? "BlueDawg" wrote: >first few bars of John Lennon's "Imagine," and then listen to the first few >bars of Oasis's "Don't Look Back in Anger." They are identical, except for >the instrumentation. Just a little more ammo...... in the UK about ten years ago there was a kids program with the title "Me And You". The music to the program went something like; "Me and you, you and me, lots and lots for us to see, lots and lots for us to do, You and me, me and you". You might want to compare that with the chorus of "She's Electric", which goes something like; "I'll be you and you be me, lots and lots for us to see, Lots and lots for us to do, she's electric can I be electric too" And for a final silver bullet - my friend has the Oasis song book, most of the songs really DO use the same three or four chords! Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:19:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: stuff. Well, I've just returned from a week's vacation in Colorado (beautiful hiking weather!) with a lovely sunburned scalp. It was especially attractive once it started peeling, making it look like I had a nasty case of dandruff. Anyway....boy, did I have a ton of digests to sift through when I got back. My random comments: On the Cartoon Planet/Space Ghost thing...the best song on that show, by far, is when Brak sings "I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pickup Truck." Anybody else seen this? :) And on a sort-of-but-not-really related note, I must agree with the Joel over Mike people on the MST3K question. On the John vs. John thing, I couldn't begin to choose a favorite, but being the introvert that I am, I guess I identify more with Linnell. He seems like a IN (Introvert-Intuitive) on the Myers-Briggs, while Flansy strikes me as an ES (Extrovert-Sensing). Besides that, like many other females on this list, I must admit to finding Linnell rather, um, aesthetically pleasing. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 02:16:44 -0400 From: "Matt James K. Polk" Subject: from line Wow, just checking out the From status to the list, I love domains! Matt (writing from his other account) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 15:31:47 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! > >> i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, >> i think...?) i think TMBG fans rock! >> ok, sorry, but i had to splurge...i dont post very often! >> --fransburghler >> >oh, then i guess you don't like me..=( must be yet another sarah in the >vastnesness of the tmbg universe > >sarah Well, then it's not me either! Sarah Cooke If you believe the cosmos is made up of omelette, you build instruments specifically designed to find traces of intergalactic yolk. --James Burke ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:06:48 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! In a message dated 96-07-23 21:18:31 EDT, psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) writes: > >> i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, > >> i think...?) i think TMBG fans rock! > >> ok, sorry, but i had to splurge...i dont post very often! > >> --fransburghler > >> > >oh, then i guess you don't like me..=( must be yet another sarah in the > >vastnesness of the tmbg universe > > > >sarah > > > Well, then it's not me either! > > Sarah Cooke > or me, wait, my name's not Sarah or Sara or Sera... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Food...*mumble*...IRC...*mumble* Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:42:59 -0400 IRC is tomorrow night...you'd better be there. Dalnet...channel #tmbg 2100 EDT. ObOAT: Red Beans & Rice...my GF's Birthday. She wanted me to cook, but didn't know what she wanted, so I made my Red Beans & Rice with a Pecan Pie for desert. It went over better than I could have ever expected. If anyone wants an authentic Cajun Red Beans & Rice recipe, drop me a line. ObOAT II: Darwin Bait. I saw a guy on a Motorcycle (he was wearing an Oasis T-shirt...coincidence?) get totally smashed by a garbage truck this afternoon. I hope he's (the guy on the Motorcycle..you can't hurt a garbage truck) okay, but it was his fault. Compound Fracture of his right leg. Very gross. I had to give a police report, and almost burned my beans. I didn't get a chance to make the cornbread. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:07:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, Okay, you sillies! Fran loves me (Nola), Matt James, and Sarah Rickter, who is on the list while school is in effect. Fransburgh was gracious and let us spend the night at her house in Manheim, PA this weekend. She is a wonderful girl and I love her too! Yet another successful meeting of TMBG listers! Let's start a commune!! ----Nola ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:27:20 -0500 (EST) Nola writes: > On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Fransburgh wrote: > > > i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, > > Okay, you sillies! Fran loves me (Nola), Matt James, and Sarah Rickter, > who is on the list while school is in effect. [...] > Let's start a commune!! > Watch out, guys... the last time there was this much love and good will on the list we all ended up married! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:32:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Nine Inch Richards > >About that kind of cover thing, I heard a band called somthing like "Nine >Inch Richards" once, and as you could guess, it's a rip on Nine Inch Nails. > Pretty funny stuff, me not being a NIN fan. > I was at the CD store the other day and saw a NIR single. It was a pretty good forgery, down to that NIN font that TR uses on all his stuff. It was a parody of the song about pigs. (I'm not a NIN fan either, so I can't tell you what it's called.) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:32:29 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: The Devil Went Down... TO GEORGIA!!! I was just sorta watching the Olympic Games and at the end of one of our (the US) gymnast's performances, the announcer said that the girl was doing her thing to "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". Was the original Clamdiggers Song The Devil Went Down To Newport supposed to be a parody of this? a spooky man named Ike I wish that Icould jump out my .sig ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:59:58 -0400 ---------- : From: Matthew Coon : To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! : Date: Tuesday, July 23, 1996 11:27 PM : : Nola writes: : > On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Fransburgh wrote: : > : > > i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, : > : > Okay, you sillies! Fran loves me (Nola), Matt James, and Sarah Rickter, : > who is on the list while school is in effect. : [...] : > Let's start a commune!! : > I'm a solitary hermit. Warren Zevon captures this sentiment well, "Michael Jackson in Disneyland, don't have to share it with nobody else. Lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand, and lead me through the world of self."--WZ, "Splendid Isolation" : : Watch out, guys... the last time there was this much love and good will : on the list we all ended up married! Married?!?! NEVER!!! BlueDawg is a confirmed bachelor, and will be until he has better ratings than Limbaugh. (OH GAWD!! I'm referring to myself in the third person!!! Am I turning into Bob Dole?) : : m@t Hmm..that's interesting...I'm using a new Micro$oft E-Mail app, and when he signs his name like that, it shows up in hypertext, like an e-mail address. I also ran across a new IRC app put out by MS. Everything you say goes into an on-screen comic strip. Weird....Weird. You get to play different characters, and you can change their expressions. I was an alien. Maybe I could become a Robot. (okay, I'll go now, that was really bad) S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:57:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: The Devil Went Down... On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Ruprecht wrote: > TO GEORGIA!!! I was just sorta watching the Olympic Games and at the end > of one of our (the US) gymnast's performances, the announcer said that > the girl was doing her thing to "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". Was > the original Clamdiggers Song The Devil Went Down To Newport supposed to > be a parody of this? Yes. It is actually a classic tune by the Charlie Daniels Band. The first time I heard that Monopuff had recorded a song called "...Newport," I thought of the "...Georgia" song. But my musical rearing was pretty multi-faceted. -----Nola ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: tmbg listers rock! Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 00:43:57 -0400 (EDT) > > > >> i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, > >> i think...?) i think TMBG fans rock! > >> ok, sorry, but i had to splurge...i dont post very often! > >> --fransburghler > >> > >oh, then i guess you don't like me..=( must be yet another sarah in the > >vastnesness of the tmbg universe > > > >sarah > > > Well, then it's not me either! > > Sarah Cooke It could be you guys, ya just never know! (remember she said I think? hehe) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-206 ******************************