Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-207 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 207 Thursday, 25 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: PointFest T-shirts?? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 Re: T-shirts?? Re: Nine Inch Richards Re: Oasis/Beatles Joe peeps around the corner. Re: Oasis/Beatles yes indeedy, listies rock! RE: Nine Inch Richards Alanis Re: Nine Inch Richards Re: Nine Inch Richards Re: yes indeedy, listies rock! IRC....+OAT oasis, oasis, oasis... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 ID4 cool record store Re: Nine Inch Richards evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) irc irc aliens, Gallaghers irc revisited Paul Sebold : evrybody Wally Slide Show... (off topic, why pay attention to me?) + OAT Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) some virus warning Re: some virus warning Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 02:38:31 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: PointFest I tried to send this to NyQuil99@aol.com personally, but it bounced, so now everyone shall be graced with my words of wisdom: >>Can anyone help me get tickets to pointfest next month? > >What do you know? I have ways of making you talk! Anyway, I'm sitting here >in metro St. Louis, IL-side, and I was wondering why the Point hasn't said >anything about PF6 yet. Have they? I was out of town last week. Normally, >that is the week that the tix *go on sale*. I've heard that PF6 is pushed >back to September now, which sucks, because I will be at school (Vanderbilt, >Nashville, TN). So, I'll be around for another month, so if you let me know >what you know, I may be able to get you some tix. > > andy PUCKett > puck@apci.net > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 02:05:42 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: T-shirts?? I've been gone for 3 1/2 weeks now. (pause) I'm wondering what is new with T-shirts. Are they available yet? (pause) Um, I'm sorry, I lost your message.. but.. the guy with the compilation tape with all the TMBG performances.. do you still have that available? I'm broke right now, but I'll have money in a week or two. (pause) I've also been introduced to the wonderful world of King Missile. I bought the self-titled album. and I finally got TMBG's first. I don't have Flood yet though. Well, I do, but it's a badly used copy. (pause) Sorry for my trouble. hehe. The Almighty Cowgod "I'm goin' down to Cowtown, the cow's a friend to me..." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 10:52:16 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 > >first few bars of John Lennon's "Imagine," and then listen to the first few > >bars of Oasis's "Don't Look Back in Anger." They are identical, except for > >the instrumentation. The song is less of a rip off of Imagine than The Guitar is of The Lion Sleeps Tonight. And no one here ever moans about that. > Just a little more ammo...... in the UK about ten years ago there was a kids > program with the title "Me And You". The music to the program went something > like; > > "Me and you, you and me, lots and lots for us to see, lots and lots for us to > do, You and me, me and you". > > You might want to compare that with the chorus of "She's Electric", which goes > something like; > > "I'll be you and you be me, lots and lots for us to see, Lots and lots for us > to do, she's electric can I be electric too" TMBG are doing this all the time. They've got that children's rhyme in The End Of The Tour, the Spiderman theme tune in Particle Man and lots of others that I can't think of offhand. Just because Oasis nick bits from/ pay tribute to old songs doesn't make them any less creative. Just why does everyone hate them so much. OK, they're horrendously arrogant but then so are a lot of bands. Is it because they are a British band doing well in the US, perhaps? I reckon you Americans get a better deal. You get Oasis, we get Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, Guns 'n' Roses, etc. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:43:15 -0400 From: jtt@magicnet.net (JOHN T THOMPSON) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 Hey, I just have to say that I LOVED that SG episode where Zorak started yelling at Michael Stipe to "play the shiny happy song! play the shiny happy song!" and he responded with "I hate the shiny happy song". On the Nine Inch Richards thread, One time I heard a song by them called "Closer to farm animals". "I want to -beep- you like an animal -mooooooo-, I want to feel you from the inside, I want to -beep- you like an animal -baaaaahhhhh-, You get me closer to God". You get the idea. Dan Thompson (jtt@magicnet.net) "Zorak is green. . .with EVIL!" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:43:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: T-shirts?? Because of the Summer Break, a buch of people that were interested have not been reading their mail. I'll send out letters about it again when school starts again. Sorry for the delay, Mike Mike Schaefer http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef/home.html ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Re: Nine Inch Richards Date: 24 Jul 1996 14:33:59 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Hmm.... At first I didn't get the meaning behind the name "Nine Inch Richards." I just thought it was weird. But then I saw the light! Unfortunately, I don't think I should give the meaning bluntly, but if you haven't figured it out already, think of a few nicknames for Richard... heh... of course, everyone probably already knew that, but I just thought I'd share my wisdom... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:43:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Oasis/Beatles > >But there is something very important here that you are forgetting. In the >beginning the beatles were innocent and had never had the influence of >drugs... Oasis is already under the influence of drugs, it hasn't done much >for them... > Hah! I'm going to assume you're joking here. Hah! The Beatles were already doing amphetamines and other "minor" stuff when they started out, and after one or two albums Bob Dylan got them onto pot. The Beatles were never exactly "innocent." :) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:36:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Kopera Subject: Joe peeps around the corner. I actually have no reason to post, I just felt like posting here and. So Hi Nola, Skarah, Matthius Jamus, Mary Ellen and all you Baltimore TMBG crew that I know and love!!! I'm listenig to Mono Puff right now. Yes, they rock quite well. .-------------------------------------------------------------. | TWGL + It's getting up time for the giant elephant shrew... | `-------------------------------------------------------------' ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 12:33:00 -0400 Subject: Re: Oasis/Beatles In a message dated 96-07-24 06:50:43 EDT, M.M.Iles@reading.ac.uk (Mark M. Iles) writes: > OK, they're horrendously arrogant but > then so are a lot of bands. Is it because they are a British band doing > well in the US, perhaps? I reckon you Americans get a better deal. You > get Oasis, we get Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, Guns 'n' Roses, etc. We get them too, but that's not the point. I wouldn't mind if it were a good British band (well, one I liked[blur]) that was getting horrendous amounts of airplay... Oasis is a major part of why I stopped listening to the radio, along with Silverchair, Alanis (which you can't blame on Americans) and Greenday... I wouldn't mind Oasis so much, but the little amounts of videos on Mtv that I might want to see is taken up by their garbage... In a message dated 96-07-24 11:48:16 EDT, particle@servtech.com (Joshua Hall-Bachner) writes: > >But there is something very important here that you are forgetting. In the > >beginning the beatles were innocent and had never had the influence of > >drugs... Oasis is already under the influence of drugs, it hasn't done much > >for them... > > > > Hah! I'm going to assume you're joking here. Hah! The Beatles were already > doing amphetamines and other "minor" stuff when they started out, and after > one or two albums Bob Dylan got them onto pot. The Beatles were never > exactly "innocent." :) Nuh uh, they didn't start into pot and stuff until 1965 when all of their music suddenly started getting better... think of this progression... Help-Rubber Soul-Revolver... Eh? actual list content: last night on Letterman, the band played "Lady is a Tramp" while Billy Crystal sang along with something... It barely sounded like the Misc T version because it was much slower, and the only reason I knew what it was is that I take my closed captions off for no man (but maybe some chick if she made it worth my while... nevermind) a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:50:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: yes indeedy, listies rock! > And miss Wally Pleasant and his slideshow? Hell no! Whoa! A Wally Pleasant slideshow? What's this all about, Ruprecht? > > > i love you Matt, Nola, and Sarah! (even though the last isnt on the list, > > Okay, you sillies! Fran loves me (Nola), Matt James, and Sarah Rickter, > who is on the list while school is in effect. > > Fransburgh was gracious and let us spend the night at her house in > Manheim, PA this weekend. She is a wonderful girl and I love her too! > Yet another successful meeting of TMBG listers! > > Let's start a commune!! > > ----Nola Nola, can I come join the commune too? :) You know, you guys are gonna have to come visit me in Nebraska sometime! I'll be gracious too and let you stay at my house and MAYBE I'll even let Matt use my microwave to find out whether or not you can get popcorn by heating up an ear of corn, if the question is still really bothering him. :) Sorry about the irrelevance of all this. I just wanted to contribute to the listie bonding here. :) --Tara P.S. Will this commune be in a big field in Oklahoma? :-D *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Brett W Maguire Subject: RE: Nine Inch Richards Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:29:02 -0400 ---------- From: Joshua Hall-Bachner[SMTP:particle@servtech.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 1996 7:32 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Nine Inch Richards (I'm not a NIN fan either, so I can't tell you what it's called.) What? You mean that you don't find They Might Be Giants compatable with = NIN?!!! Next you'll probably tell us that you don't like Marilyn Manson = either! Also, while I'm on posting a message to the list, what's happening with = the Giants as far as touring goes? They have had the same two dates up = on the www.tmbg.com page for a while. Anyone know if they plan to be in = the New England area anytime soon? take care, Brett "when the ghost of my dance instructor..." -NIN?- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Alanis Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:56:43 -0400 (EDT) > along with Silverchair, Alanis (which you can't blame on Americans) and That's cause she's Canadian and you know how much we hate Canadians! (just kidding! hehe) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:29:17 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Nine Inch Richards On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > > >About that kind of cover thing, I heard a band called somthing like "Nine > >Inch Richards" once, and as you could guess, it's a rip on Nine Inch Nails. > > Pretty funny stuff, me not being a NIN fan. > > > > I was at the CD store the other day and saw a NIR single. It was a pretty > good forgery, down to that NIN font that TR uses on all his stuff. It was a > parody of the song about pigs. (I'm not a NIN fan either, so I can't tell > you what it's called.) Probably called "Down In It..The Mud That Is..." ;) *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/kopenec/ )*=- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Nine Inch Richards Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:36:04 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Joshua Hall-Bachner: >I was at the CD store the other day and saw a NIR single. It was a pretty >good forgery, down to that NIN font that TR uses on all his stuff. It was a >parody of the song about pigs. (I'm not a NIN fan either, so I can't tell >you what it's called.) The one I'm familiar with is entitled "Closer To Hogs". -CB ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:31:25 -0400 Subject: Re: yes indeedy, listies rock! In a message dated 96-07-24 13:12:34 EDT, 00085244@bigred.unl.edu (Tara Lynne Weber) writes: > > > And miss Wally Pleasant and his slideshow? Hell no! > > Whoa! A Wally Pleasant slideshow? What's this all about, Ruprecht? > Wally picked up some slides and a screen from some family at a garage sale... I'm bringing in a slide projector and we're gonna watch slides from the sixties and seventies while wally rocks the cuppa java... and it's only 45 minutes away... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: IRC....+OAT Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:30:47 -0400 Again, last warning. IRC TONIGHT irc.dal.net channel #tmbg. ObOAT: Communes. Let's not have a commune, or that thing in Oklahoma. ObFollowupOnDarwinBait: He's okay, I guess. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I remember my first sexual encounter because I kept the recipe."--Jeff Dahmer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:20:16 -0400 From: angstgirl Subject: oasis, oasis, oasis... >>Anyone who says they are the next Beatles and isn't being ironic >>should be shot. Sorry folks. What I _meant_ to say, but didn't word correctly, is that no band should announce that it is going to be more popular than the most popular band ever. I like a bit of humbleness and self-mockery in a musical group. I have no problem with others comparing them to the Beatles, or them saying, "We want to be the next Beatles", because, yes, they could well be. But there's no guarantee. And I don't really mind them...after a while I never wanted to hear "Wonderwall" again, but their music isn't godawful. I quite like "She's Electric". Actually, I was driving to work this morning and "Don't Look Back in Anger" came on, and my first thought was, "Hey, John Lennon!" until it went into the song and then I was mildly disappointed, but I sang along anyway. (I really like the line, "'Cause she said the brains I had went to my head") I think my original point was that creative, unusual bands like They Might Be Giants are largely ignored by radio stations, but bands that all sound the same are played and played and played again. And in my timewarp situation, where the song is played to death in Toronto, and finally is replaced with something else, at which point I come back to Thunder Bay where the first song is just becoming popular, that gets damn annoying. I don't mean to step on the toes of anyone's musical tastes. :j TMBG content: I've had "Don't Let's Start" in my head ALL day and now my mother's in my room and won't let me have access to my cd. :( heather "The weather is here; I wish you were beautiful." -- David Hein ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 96 20:42 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 Mark wrote: I reckon you Americans get a better deal. You >get Oasis, we get Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, Guns 'n' Roses, etc. Amen to that! Although remember where tmbg came from. Heh heh. I happen to like Oasis. I wouldn't call them the next Beatles, I think most people agree that there won't be a phenomenon like The Beatles ever again. I just like Oasis, and I like looking for references to Beatles songs in their songs. I consider them tributes, not rip-offs. My 2 cents. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 18:10:06 -0700 (PDT) From: infamousbs@mcube.com (Lang Nelson) Subject: ID4 I apologize that this is off topic, but it is still funny. >> >> 40 THINGS I LEARNED FROM ID4 >> That I Never Knew Before >> By Dean Kanipe Area 51 Research Center >> >> While viewing the film Independence Day, it became apparent that I was >> remarkably uninformed about several things related to Area 51, aliens, >> military operations, and America in general. Below is a quick list of >> a few important things I learned from the film that I never knew >> before, and a few lessons that were inferred from the plot. I wish to >> thank the creators of ID4 for making these facts much clearer to me. >> >> 1. Aliens like to blow up significant land marks first. Apparently >> the best way to destroy a city is to position your "Death Ray" >> over the most recognizable building. >> 2. All pro-UFO people are morons who dance atop the building directly >> under the Death Ray. >> 3. If alien "Destroyers" come to your city to blast it into oblivion, >> leave BEFORE they fire the Death Ray. >> 4. If alien "Destroyers" come to your city to blast it into oblivion >> and you are caught in traffic at the last minute, make sure that >> you are travelling with a dog and a small child. The Law of >> Averages says you'll survive the Death Ray. >> 5. If alien "Destroyers" come to your city to blast it into oblivion >> and you are caught in traffic at the last minute, make sure that >> you are NOT a raspy-voiced homosexual cable TV executive. The Law >> of Averages says you'll get waxed by the Death Ray. >> 6. Stripping is a lucrative profession that allows one to "Pay the >> bills," "take care of one's boy," and own a nice house in a middle >> class subdivision. >> 7. Strippers got moxie. When the going gets tough, they can drive >> California Highway Department utility vehicles, collect refugees >> and use their extensive survival skills to provide food and >> comfort to survivors. >> 8. NASA sends out rejection letters, just like Harvard. >> 9. Area 51 is an "Assault Base". >> 10. A fleet of RVs can travel across the Nevada Test Site in >> line-abreast formation without the need of roads, thanks to the >> immense expanses of Salt Flats and the lack of impeding mountains. >> 11. Area 51 has a big chain-link fence around it, and the guards at >> the gate wear black combat fatigues with white metal helmets in >> 120 degree heat. >> 12. Any bonehead with an RV can get to Area 51 by driving across the >> Salt Flat to the gate and flashing a captured alien to the guard. >> 13. Standard operating procedure for the Air Force is to cluster all >> vehicles, aircraft, and ground personnel on a 200 meter section of >> tarmac in the middle of an Alien Invasion. >> 14. The F-18 is the sole fighter in use by all branches of the >> service, including Marines and Air Force. >> 15. From the assault scenes on the Alien "Destroyers', it appears that >> the F-18 must have had a 1000 unit production run. >> 16. Both F-18s and B-2s must close to within 10 km of a target 20 km >> across before engaging with both air-to-air missiles and aerial >> launched nuclear cruise missiles. >> 17. People too drunk to walk can still fly crop dusters and F-18s. >> 18. Any bonehead with rudimentary aviation experience can be taught >> to pilot an F-18 in 5 hours. >> 19. Any bonehead with F-18 flight experience can learn to pilot an >> Alien fighter in 5 minutes. >> 20. Aliens with anatomy that includes tentacles and clawed feet use >> flight yokes just like ours. >> 21. Aliens are wimps, even the ones in "Bio-Mechanical" armor. They >> have glass jaws and can be taken out with a punch by Will Smith. >> (He has had a lot of practice on photographers, though.) >> 22. Aliens are stupid. When one of their fighters approaches the >> carrier, they don't bother to communicate with the pilot. >> 23. Aliens are even more stupid. They pursue their targets into >> canyons walls and closing blast doors. >> 24. Aliens are unbelievably stupid. While unarmed and unarmored, >> they do things to piss off people with hand guns. >> 25. Aliens are just too stupid for words to express. An alien air >> traffic controller can look at a fighter that has been >> human-modified for 20 minutes and is only 50 feet away and not >> notice the welded-on missile rack until the missile is fired >> through his work station. >> 26. Aliens are remarkably inarticulate. All they can say is, "Release >> me," "No peace," and "Die!" >> 27. If you're President and your administration is faltering, an Alien >> Invasion might be a good way to boost your ratings in the polls. >> 28. If you're President and your administration is faltering, manage >> to work into every other sentence the fact that you "flew in the >> Persian Gulf." No need to specify what branch of service. >> 29. If you're President and your administration is faltering and an >> Alien Invasion occurs, relocate the V.P., the Cabinet, and the >> Joint Chiefs to one centralized location so that the Aliens can >> take them all out with one shot. You can always blame the problems >> of the past on them after victory is achieved. >> 30. The President's Press secretary keeps her cell phone listed in the >> phone book "in case of emergencies." >> 31. If your father abandons his Jewish beliefs after the death of your >> mother, always carry around a Torah and a Yarmulke. Aliens might >> attack and offer him a chance to renew his faith. >> 32. If aliens abduct you and effectively destroy your life by making >> you the laughing stock of the community, never fear. When their >> "Destroyers" come, you will be vindicated to those who mocked your >> tale. >> 33. If aliens abduct you and do unspeakable things to you, you can >> have revenge upon them by flying an F-18 into their Death Ray. >> 34. If aliens abduct you and do unspeakable things to you and you have >> revenge upon them by flying an F-18 into their Death Ray, you will >> obtain redemption and your children will be proud of you. >> 35. The best way to win back a former wife is to be very annoying, >> look perpetually vexed, and keep wearing your wedding ring for 4 >> years after the divorce. >> 36. In 10 hours, one man with a Macintosh Laptop can code a virus in >> C++ that will take down a completely alien computer system. >> 37. Even though the Mac isn't compatible with most other Earthly >> operating systems, it can interface with an alien computer. >> 38. Alien network security is nonexistent. >> 39. Rather than attacking a planet when they first encounter it >> (i.e., 1940s), aliens wait until the planet has developed just >> enough technology to possibly defend itself. >> 40. Scientists at Area 51 are a bit touched in the head, and "Don't >> get out much." >> >>Copyright (c) 1996, Dean Kanipe, 626 West Club Blvd, Durham, NC 27701. >> May be reproduced on the Internet for personal use only. Any >> reproduction in print or in any fixed or for-profit medium is >> not allowed without written permission. Whenever this document >> is copied, this copyright statement must remain attached. ------------------------------ From: smiley42@baka.com (Jonah Gold) Subject: cool record store Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:34:25 +0000 I know this has been touched upon in that "great day" thread a while ago, but it just happened to me. I just found the only store in town that carries mono puff, and not only that, but they had a copy of WDTSS, and a used copy Talking Heads "Remain in Light"(Am I the only one who finds Talking Heads somewhat similar to TMBG?). And, as an added plus, you get a free cd from a box of random stuff(mostly bad, but who's complaining) with every purchase. I haven't bought any of it yet, because I was just browsing at the time, but I'll be back tomorrow. With cash. ______________________________________________________________________________ "speak softly, drive a sherman tank. Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank." -They Might Be Giants "all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd Jonah Gold ______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:06:59 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: Re: Nine Inch Richards >I was at the CD store the other day and saw a NIR single. It was a pretty >good forgery, down to that NIN font that TR uses on all his stuff. It was a >parody of the song about pigs. (I'm not a NIN fan either, so I can't tell >you what it's called.) Well, there are two "pig" songs on "The Downward Spiral," Piggy and March of the Pigs, so it's probably one of those. Sarah Cooke If you believe the cosmos is made up of omelette, you build instruments specifically designed to find traces of intergalactic yolk. --James Burke ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:58:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Paul Sebold Subject: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) All you Gianteers, Hey all, I'm looking for a role count for all those mid-Atlantic listees who are going to go to the show on Aug 16 at the 9:30 Club.. I'm supposing this is going to be a big list turn out, so i wanna know if any list type people are meeting anywhere. I myself am dragging a couple of moderate fans down just for the ride, so I may be in need of some hard core Giant companionship... you can only take so much "passive TMBG fan", right? I'm like 4 hours away and in desperate need of directions... so, in short, help me, I am incompetant. Well, not really, unless you expect me to fix a car or soemthing, because I sure as hell can't do that. I mean, i can get to DC and all, but what to I do once I'm there? I suppose i could drive around for a while, but there must be a better way, eh? Anyway, have a good day, and may you never have to hear another Collective Soul song again. -in desperate of some gumption.... Paul ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -hrmmm.. 64 slices of American Cheese, I think I'm blind. + + *Homer Simpson* + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: irc Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:25:09 -0400 (EDT) For some reason it won't let me connect to irc.dal.net (or just about any irc server). Is there a problem with irc land or is it more likely my connection? I've tried both mIRC and unix irc with no success. help please. Thanks, Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: irc Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:29:43 -0400 (EDT) hmm I can get onto my local irc server but I can't seem to get any other irc servers outside. This stinks. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:43:15 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: aliens, Gallaghers one of the few days i have time to post... about John L. staring at people-- during the show i went to in nov. '94, i didn't notice him staring at anything, but he did look stoned(nobody get in a dither, he just LOOKED that way). i guess he could be alien--his music is quite original, almost unlike anything on the planet. i've often tried to find a word to describe Their music, but have failed. my co-workers at my full-time job hate Them--they call it "Barney music". i guess They do sound a tad childish. since many have spoken about Oasis, here's my say: i like Oasis. i haven't heard much from the Beatles, but what i have heard is definetely the style Oasis is using. i saw an interview with Noel Gallagher, and he said Oasis is trying to sound Beatlish on purpose--i think it's like a tribute thing. and about radio's playlists: they really do suck. it's like brainwashing or something. lots of people think the only good bands out there are the ones on the radio, thanks to the radio. there are so many great bands out there that will never be heard on the radio( besides like college stations and things). some people think Green Day and Offspring are the best punk bands--maybe even the only punk bands. they will never hear bands like Fugazi, Minor Threat or Iggy and the Stooges. why? because they think the bands on the radio must be the only bans worth listening to. i think i hear the same songs about 3 times a day if i listen to the radio, which is rare(sometime i don't have my cd player at work). sorry about the long message. any Shudder to Think fans out there? here's a fun, real word: alkyloxypolyethleneoxyethanol i hate the Cure and No Doubt -Chakka ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: irc revisited Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:48:35 -0400 (EDT) Well dal net's in general seem to be a major problem for me as none of them are able to connect at all. Maybe tmbg discussions could be moved to irc.funet.fi where I can connect? hehehe just kidding (unless ya really want to) Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:50:19 PST Subject: Paul Sebold : evrybody From: mr_klaw@juno.com (Mr Klaw) --------- Begin forwarded message ---------- From: Paul Sebold To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Cc: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:58:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: All you Gianteers, Hey all, I'm looking for a role count for all those mid-Atlantic listees who are going to go to the show on Aug 16 at the 9:30 Club.. I'm supposing this is going to be a big list turn out, so i wanna know if any list type people are meeting anywhere. I myself am dragging a couple of moderate fans down just for the ride, so I may be in need of some hard core Giant companionship... you can only take so much "passive TMBG fan", right? I'm like 4 hours away and in desperate need of directions... so, in short, help me, I am incompetant. Well, not really, unless you expect me to fix a car or soemthing, because I sure as hell can't do that. I mean, i can get to DC and all, but what to I do once I'm there? I suppose i could drive around for a while, but there must be a better way, eh? Anyway, have a good day, and may you never have to hear another Collective Soul song again. -in desperate of some gumption.... Paul Well, I don't have any plans to go at this point in time, but if anyone out there is passing through South Carolina to get there and wouldn't mind picking me up.. I'd love to go.. I've never gotten to see them live, and would like to before I leave the country at the end of August. Sloan ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 23:02:47 -0400 Subject: Wally Slide Show... (off topic, why pay attention to me?) + OAT Well, I just got back from Wally's (Pleasant) show at the cuppa java and well... I ran the slide projector and now I'm that guy Michael/Mike who ran the slide projector... and then he played the cat came back and there happened to be a picture of a cat, so we all had fun... if you'd like to order all Wally CD... um well, there's some place on the web where you can do it, just search Wally Pleasant at www.lycos.com... Hey, it's only twelve bucks and I get the feeling shipping is figured in... OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): My future career shall be "Slide Projectionist" and um, I don't like coffee too much... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 23:11:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Hi Paul! I will be going to the 930 club show, with Matt James, and I'm pretty sure Fransburgh will be there. I could make another neon sign if it seems necessary, but we should just pick a spot to meet. We'll decide that later, I can't think right now. Nola ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 23:25:25 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 In a message dated 96-07-24 03:15:56 EDT, you write: > On the John vs. John thing, I couldn't begin to choose a >favorite, but being the introvert that I am, I guess I identify more with >Linnell. He seems like a IN (Introvert-Intuitive) on the Myers-Briggs, >while Flansy strikes me as an ES (Extrovert-Sensing). Besides that, like >many other females on this list, I must admit to finding Linnell rather, >um, aesthetically pleasing. :) > >--Tara ::grin:: I'm NOT crazy...(or at least in this area), someone else HAS heard of Myers-Briggs! I have to quite agree w/ you on what they seem to be, and I'd be so bold as to add that Linnell seems like a "T" as opposed to a "F"(thinking vs. feeling). Do you agree? I can't tell about Flans. And amen all the way to Linnell being aesthetically pleasing.(even if he IS an alien :) The very easy to get along with Erika ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 02:04:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Groove Child wrote: > Hi Paul! > I will be going to the 930 club show, with Matt James, and I'm pretty sure > Fransburgh will be there. I could make another neon sign if it seems > necessary, but we should just pick a spot to meet. We'll decide that > later, I can't think right now. > > Nola > yes! nola, my bud, you are correct...i dont know what we could do, but say what we will wear, or other generic suggestions...if only those darn list shirts were around... ;) we will survive...is the 9:30 a large venue? i've never been there...if it's not too huge, we might be able to manage! hope to see many of you awesome listers there! --fran(sburgher) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:05:23 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: some virus warning >There is a computer virus that is being sent across the Internet. >If you receive an email message with the subject line "Good >Times", DO NOT read the message, DELETE it immediately. Please >read the messages below. Some miscreant is sending email under >the title "Good Times" nationwide, if you get anything like this, >DON'T DOWN LOAD THE FILE! It has a virus that rewrites your hard >drive, obliterating anything on it. > >Please be careful and forward this mail to anyone you care about. > >The FCC released a warning last Wednesday concerning a matter of >major importance to any regular user of the Internet. Apparently >a new computer virus has been engineered by a user of AMERICA ON >LINE that is unparalleled in its destructive capability. Other >more well-known viruses such as "Stoned", "Airwolf" and >"Michaelangelo" pale in comparison to the prospects >of this newest creation by a warped mentality. What makes this >virus so terrifying, said the FCC, is the fact that no program >needs to be exchanged for a new computer to be infected. It can >be spread through the existing email systems of the Internet. > >Once a Computer is infected, one of several things can happen. >If the computer contains a hard drive, that will most likely be >destroyed. If the program is not stopped, the computer's >processor will be placed in an nth-complexity infinite binary >loop -which can severely damage the processor if left running >that way too long. > >Unfortunately, most computer users will not realize what is >happening until it is far too late. Luckily, there is one sure >means of detecting what is now known as the "Good Times" virus. >It always travels to new computers the same way in a text email >message with the subject line reading "Good Times". Avoiding >infection is easy once the file has been received simply by >NOT READING IT! The act of loading the file into the mail >server's ASCII buffer causes the "Good Times" mainline program to >initialize and execute. The program is highly intelligent- it >will send copies of itself to everyone whose email address is >contained in a receive-mail file or a sent-mail file, if it can >find one. It will then proceed to trash the computer it is >running on. > >The bottom line is: - if you receive a file with the subject >line "Good Times", delete it immediately! Do not read it" Rest >assured that whoever' name was on the "From" line was surely >struck by the virus. > ><2> Subject: New and Dangerous Virus For your information ... > >DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILE NAMED PKZIP300 REGARDLESS OF THE >EXTENSION > >A NEW Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the internet with the >name PKZIP300.ZIP, so named as to give the impression that this >file is a new version of the PKZIP software used to "ZIP" >(compress) files. > >DO NOT DOWNLOAD this file under any circumstances!!! If you >install or expand this file, the virus WILL wipe your hard disk >clean and affect modems at 14.4 and higher. This is an extremely >destructive virus and there is NOT yet a way of cleaning up this >one. > > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: some virus warning Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:46:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts The good times virus is a hoax. You can read all about it at: http://www.urbanlegends.com/misc/good_times_virus_faq.html ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-207 ******************************