Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-208 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 208 Friday, 26 July 1996 Today's Topics: my question was not answered (none) Re: al-ANUS morri-SUCKS, the mailing list "T", and the good times virus Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) FW: Nine Inch Richards Particle Man Parody, etc. Re: some virus warning Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... Virus Re: No Subject (more crap, skip it) FW: Virus Re: some virus warning Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Re: Virus Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Re: al-ANUS morri-SUCKS, the mailing list "T", and the good times virus tmbg-list@tmbg.org goodtimes Re: goodtimes Aug 16th Show 9:30 930 club meeting listie thing and stuff Re: No Subject (more crap, skip it) bigger than Jesus Shudder to Think Various things (I'm the new guy), but mostly TMBG (and Oasis (grrrrrr)) Five folks for dinner Re: Five folks for dinner 930 sorry about good times, i guess Re: Five folks for dinner Re: Virus Re: sorry about good times, i guess 9:30 club Re: Virus Giants tix Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... the next Beatles *sob* Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 03:38:00 -0400 Subject: my question was not answered Hey guys! Although I'm a bit tipsy right now, i believe that my question of whether TMBG had played iwth Tony Bennett, Elton John, or somebody elst (I can't remember who) was never answered. Doesn't anybody know???? Please help me!!! I really need some sleep, but nothing more to drink!! tuvker ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:23:50 +0200 to: It was written: >We get them too, but that's not the point. I wouldn't mind if it were a good >British band (well, one I liked[blur]) that was getting horrendous amounts of >airplay... Oasis is a major part of why I stopped listening to the radio, Not wishing to be insulting, but doesn't the fact that you wouldn't mind hearing loads of a band YOU LIKED rather destroy your argument? Presumably there are others who like Oasis and therefore like the fact they get played all the time. Music taste is subjective, not objective. It was also written: >Sorry folks. What I _meant_ to say, but didn't word correctly, is that no >band should announce that it is going to be more popular than the most >popular band ever. I like a bit of humbleness and self-mockery in a musical >group. I have no problem with others comparing them to the Beatles, or them Irony overload now I'm afraid - we are talking about a band who in the 60's stated that they were "bigger than Jesus", resulting in some VERY level-headed record burning all across the USA!!! Things only calmed down when Lennon apologised on national television. Oasis may be arrogant, but they're following in the footsteps of most bands. Fritz ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:40:15 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: al-ANUS morri-SUCKS, the mailing list "T", and the good times virus howdy folks! my $0.02: i hate al-ANUS! i would love for the t-shirt to become available.... it would be really cool to do a meet & greet at different shows around the country!!! good times virus?????? isn't this hoax about 6 months old now??????????? special howdy to Brother John Bejezus & MDM!!!! #tmbg should be more popular!! we could have some fun! not just another john (aka green jello) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:16:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Ok. Howabout we all meet outside about 15 minutes before opening time, so we can all get in and get good spots - maybe we can all stand up front and prevent people from throwing each other around... :) There was someone at the Mono Puff show handing out stickers with "The World's Address: http://www.tmbg.org" on them - that would be a good way to identify lots of us... Also, is anyone planning on taping that show (I assume *someone* is)... I was trying to borrow a mini-DAT recorder from a friend but he couldn't do that, so I can't tape it... And an Unrelated Thing: Does anyone who was at the Wolf Trap show in '94 remember if they played Particle Man? I was listening to a tape of it and was surprised that it didn't have that on it, and was just wondering if maybe it didn't get on there or something... (it would be very odd for them not to play it) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:36:33 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: Hey all I'm going to be there I got my ticket already. > > Ok. Howabout we all meet outside about 15 minutes before opening time, > so we can all get in and get good spots - maybe we can all stand up > front and prevent people from throwing each other around... :) I had this same idea...werid...but I still think it's a good i idea. > There was someone at the Mono Puff show handing out stickers with "The > World's Address: http://www.tmbg.org" on them - that would be a good way > to identify lots of us... Well that was me with the stickers, I may do this agian but they will be bigger and better this time. Well I'll see you all there. -John Murray jmurray@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 06:52:36 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Nine Inch Richards >I was at the CD store the other day and saw a NIR single. It was a pretty >good forgery, down to that NIN font that TR uses on all his stuff. It was a >parody of the song about pigs. (I'm not a NIN fan either, so I can't tell >you what it's called.) Well, there are two "pig" songs on "The Downward Spiral," Piggy and March of the Pigs, so it's probably one of those. Hey.... The song it most likely is : "Closer". I work for a local modern-rock station in Rochester, NY, and my friend lent me a "Virtually Alternative" compilation (some outrageous volume #) which contained this....it starts with the "boom-hiss-boom-hiss" and then speeds up, then launches into a pseudo-country version of the song, with the lyrics spoken as a reference towards sex with BARNYARD animals, complete with cows mooing and pigs oinking in the background shep Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 08:35:47 MDT Subject: Particle Man Parody, etc. Hello all you TMBG listers ... I THINK that this once WAS a TMBG list ... Did you know that Dr. Demento actually sang a parody of TMBG's "Particle Man"? It went like this: Particle board, particle board, Build anything with particle board, Twice as heavy, half as strong Particle board I have a recording of the above lines being performed. Does anybody know if there was another verse? When was it first aired? OAT: What is Oasis? I have never heard anything by them. I have heard Weird Al's parody of NIN's "Animal Song" It's part of the "Alternative Polka" from his latest CD. I'm afraid to buy the Alannis Morrisette album. It might grow on me. And since when does popularity EVER attach itself to the best music? It's getting so I hardly ever listen to the radio. But then, if I didn't, I never might have heard of TMBG! I got a copy of Mono Puff quite easily at Best Buy last week, along with a copy of Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America Vol. 2 (YES, you heard right, Vol 2, just released, over 30 years after Vol. 1!) RE: John L staring at people When you are on stage and the spotlight is on you, you can look into the audience, but with that bright light in your eyes that is ALL you can see. This might explain the scary feeling of having John L. staring at you without any reaction to your own facial expression or gestures. !! !! !! !! TMBG Video Bootleg Vol 1 -- still available -- visit my web page for details !! !! !! !! ============================================================================= Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- The Book Of Mormon ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:59:35 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: some virus warning Good Times virus? Please tell me you guys don't believe that, now... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:00:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, angstgirl wrote: > >>Anyone who says they are the next Beatles and isn't being ironic > >>should be shot. > > Sorry folks. What I _meant_ to say, but didn't word correctly, is that no > band should announce that it is going to be more popular than the most > popular band ever. I like a bit of humbleness and self-mockery in a musical > group. I have no problem with others comparing them to the Beatles, or them > saying, "We want to be the next Beatles", because, yes, they could well be. hey, don't forget that john used to do that whole ego trip too(except for the fact that he was being pretty sarcastic). remember when he said the beatles were bigger than jesus? sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:44:56 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Virus >a new computer virus has been engineered by a user of AMERICA ON >LINE that is unparalleled in its destructive capability. Other A computer virus written by an AOL user. Hehe :) Who comes up with this stuff? ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:37:15 -0400 Subject: Re: No Subject (more crap, skip it) In a message dated 96-07-25 04:27:44 EDT, gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl writes: > Irony overload now I'm afraid - we are talking about a band who in the 60's > stated that they were "bigger than Jesus", resulting in some VERY level- > headed > record burning all across the USA!!! Things only calmed down when Lennon > apologised on national television. Oasis may be arrogant, but they're > following > in the footsteps of most bands. Bigger than Jesus in the eyes of most teens... of course tmbg is bigger than Jesus in the eyes of some people on here... maybe... a spooky man named Ike I wish that I could jump out of my .sig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:38:13 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: Virus >a new computer virus has been engineered by a user of AMERICA ON >LINE that is unparalleled in its destructive capability. Other A computer virus written by an AOL user. Hehe :) Who comes up with this stuff? Of course, if the virus had any swear words in it, it'd never get out of AOL. shep ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:47:28 PST Subject: Re: some virus warning From: mr_klaw@juno.com (Mr Klaw) This is just a hoax.. It's been going around for several years now.. I should know I fell for it last year and posted it to the list.. And as soon as I did every person on the list nailed me for it.. So I'll just tell you nicely since I remember all the trouble this caused for me.. It's not real or possible (as it was explained to me many many times.) On Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:05:23 -0500 Andrew W Puckett writes: >>There is a computer virus that is being sent across the Internet. >>If you receive an email message with the subject line "Good >>Times", DO NOT read the message, DELETE it immediately. Please >>read the messages below. Some miscreant is sending email under >>the title "Good Times" nationwide, if you get anything like this, >>DON'T DOWN LOAD THE FILE! It has a virus that rewrites your hard >>drive, obliterating anything on it. >> >>Please be careful and forward this mail to anyone you care about. >> >>The FCC released a warning last Wednesday concerning a matter of >>major importance to any regular user of the Internet. Apparently >>a new computer virus has been engineered by a user of AMERICA ON >>LINE that is unparalleled in its destructive capability. Other >>more well-known viruses such as "Stoned", "Airwolf" and >>"Michaelangelo" pale in comparison to the prospects >>of this newest creation by a warped mentality. What makes this >>virus so terrifying, said the FCC, is the fact that no program >>needs to be exchanged for a new computer to be infected. It can >>be spread through the existing email systems of the Internet. >> >>Once a Computer is infected, one of several things can happen. >>If the computer contains a hard drive, that will most likely be >>destroyed. If the program is not stopped, the computer's >>processor will be placed in an nth-complexity infinite binary >>loop -which can severely damage the processor if left running >>that way too long. >> >>Unfortunately, most computer users will not realize what is >>happening until it is far too late. Luckily, there is one sure >>means of detecting what is now known as the "Good Times" virus. >>It always travels to new computers the same way in a text email >>message with the subject line reading "Good Times". Avoiding >>infection is easy once the file has been received simply by >>NOT READING IT! The act of loading the file into the mail >>server's ASCII buffer causes the "Good Times" mainline program to >>initialize and execute. The program is highly intelligent- it >>will send copies of itself to everyone whose email address is >>contained in a receive-mail file or a sent-mail file, if it can >>find one. It will then proceed to trash the computer it is >>running on. >> >>The bottom line is: - if you receive a file with the subject >>line "Good Times", delete it immediately! Do not read it" Rest >>assured that whoever' name was on the "From" line was surely >>struck by the virus. >> >><2> Subject: New and Dangerous Virus For your information ... >> >>DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILE NAMED PKZIP300 REGARDLESS OF THE >>EXTENSION >> >>A NEW Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the internet with the >>name PKZIP300.ZIP, so named as to give the impression that this >>file is a new version of the PKZIP software used to "ZIP" >>(compress) files. >> >>DO NOT DOWNLOAD this file under any circumstances!!! If you >>install or expand this file, the virus WILL wipe your hard disk >>clean and affect modems at 14.4 and higher. This is an extremely >>destructive virus and there is NOT yet a way of cleaning up this >>one. >> >> > > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-206 Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:55:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of M3MEEBKM@aol.com: >::grin:: I'm NOT crazy...(or at least in this area), someone else HAS heard >of Myers-Briggs! I have to quite agree w/ you on what they seem to be, and Then you new folks might be interested to know the results of the MBTI survey held in April... Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:06:05 -0600 To: Lactose Intolerance Anonymous From: jchaffer@ussodyssey.ufp.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing Here are the long-awaited results of the Keirsey personality survey! Of the ~500 list members, 55 responded. Over 10%--pretty good representation. Here's how each attribute broke down, compared to the average in the general population: Attribute TMBG-list General Population Extrovert 25.45% 75% Introvert 61.82% 25% X 12.73% iNtuitive 81.82% 25% Sensory 14.55% 75% X 3.64% Feeling 58.18% 50% Thinking 36.36% 50% X 5.45% Perceiving 58.18% 50% Judging 34.55% 50% X 7.27% Fun facts: * The most common personality type was INFP, with 12 listers. * Almost half of the list members were NFP's, either E or I. * We are, as a group, much more introverted and intuitive than the rest of the population. * Some bias could be attributed to the fact that we are all "Net-aware." I believe that people with WWW access tend to be more INTJ centered than others. * ISTJ's unite! :-) -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:06:50 -0400 (EDT) > On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Groove Child wrote: > > > Hi Paul! > > I will be going to the 930 club show, with Matt James, and I'm pretty sure > > Fransburgh will be there. I could make another neon sign if it seems > > necessary, but we should just pick a spot to meet. We'll decide that > > later, I can't think right now. > > > > Nola > > > > yes! nola, my bud, you are correct...i dont know what we could do, but > say what we will wear, or other generic suggestions...if only those darn > list shirts were around... ;) > we will survive...is the 9:30 a large venue? i've never been there...if > it's not too huge, we might be able to manage! hope to see many of you > awesome listers there! > --fran(sburgher) You are so right Fran me bucko about shirts. I wish I still had John's The World's Address sticker and then people could just find me that way. Maybe I'll make a TMBG flag..hmmm Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:09:48 -0400 Subject: Re: Virus >A computer virus written by an AOL user. Hehe :) Who comes up with this >stuff? You can get viruses off the internet. A friend of mine was having problems with this one guy being able to see into his email and everything else he did, so to scare him, he sent him some viruses. And he is on AOL. tucker ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 concert) Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:22:39 -0400 (EDT) > Ok. Howabout we all meet outside about 15 minutes before opening time, > so we can all get in and get good spots - maybe we can all stand up > front and prevent people from throwing each other around... :) hehe yeah we could bring along some big guys and we could just launch people backwards. We'll hire bodyguards, that's it. That'll be fun. > Also, is anyone planning on taping that show (I assume *someone* is)... > I was trying to borrow a mini-DAT recorder from a friend but he couldn't > do that, so I can't tape it... Well I don't have a Dat recorder but I do have my trusty regular recorder which I'll probably bring along. > > And an Unrelated Thing: Does anyone who was at the Wolf Trap show in '94 > remember if they played Particle Man? I was listening to a tape of it > and was surprised that it didn't have that on it, and was just wondering > if maybe it didn't get on there or something... (it would be very odd > for them not to play it) I was there but it was so long ago. I do remember the Famous Polka vividly though. I'm sure they played Particle Man... Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: al-ANUS morri-SUCKS, the mailing list "T", and the good times virus Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 15:42:37 -0400 (EDT) > i would love for the t-shirt to become available.... it would be really > cool to do a meet & greet at different shows around the country!!! Yes sir, it's what we do best. > > good times virus?????? isn't this hoax about 6 months old now??????????? Actually, it's been going on for many years now. I first heard about it about 4 years ago when I first got on the Internet. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 15:56:53 -0400 (EDT) Actually, if you are mailed a message that says goodtimes in the subject and you read it nothing possibly can happen. But if you get an attached file and you downloaded it and run this executable file that file could be a virus and attack your harddrive, but you'd actually have to download the file and run it. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: goodtimes Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 15:58:15 -0400 (EDT) Actually, if you are mailed a message that says goodtimes in the subject and you read it nothing possibly can happen. But if you get an attached file and you downloaded it and run this executable file that file could be a virus and attack your harddrive, but you'd actually have to download the file and run it. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: goodtimes Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 15:25:08 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: > Actually, if you are mailed a message that says goodtimes in the subject > and you read it nothing possibly can happen. But if you get an > attached file and you downloaded it and run this executable file that > file could be a virus and attack your harddrive, but you'd actually > have to download the file and run it. Or, in the case of the MS Word viri, you'd have to download the document and view it with Word (it uses the autoload macros to do nasty stuff to your HD.) -CB (who forgot to mention in his last (re)post that he's INFJ) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 16:35:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Kopera Subject: Aug 16th Show I should be going. I really want to. But I kind of need a ride. (Ahem...Nola? Matt?) \\\// (o-o) .-------oOO-(_)-OOo--------. | It's getting up time for | | The giant elephant shrew | `--------------------------' ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 17:03:43 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: 9:30 >out there is passing through South Carolina to get there and wouldn't >mind picking me up.. I'd love to go.. I've never gotten to see them >live, and would like to before I leave the country at the end of August. > >Sloan > And while you're in SC, swing by Charleston to pick me up ;) Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 17:14:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: 930 club meeting listie thing and stuff Hello my friends, I think Lawrence's idea of meeting outside could work. But sometimes there is a crowd and it may still be hard to find a congregating spot. But I guess if the doors had not opened yet... And then when we get in we could all go to the left or right part of teh stage. I still have my neon sign form the Etown show! But the door hops might not let me bring it in. I'll just jump up and down and scream. Well...I know what John, Fran, Matt, and Lawrence look like. I think you all know what I look like :) Clothingdescriptions, etc ahould work for people who do not know anyone. Especially if we pick a certain side of the stage to use as our rendezvous area. ANy more suggestions? -----Nola ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 17:29 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: No Subject (more crap, skip it) of course tmbg is bigger than >Jesus in the eyes of some people on here... maybe... > >a spooky man named Ike I'm not sure about bigger than Jesus, but a while ago, somebody asked me this question: If you could invite any five people, living or dead, over for dinner, who would it be? My first answer was TMBG, my second John Lennon, and *then* I thought maybe Jesus would be cool. That probably says something, but I'm not sure what. :) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: bigger than Jesus Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 17:11:37 -0500 (CDT) gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl writes: > Irony overload now I'm afraid - we are talking about a band who in the 60's > stated that they were "bigger than Jesus", First of all it was John Lennon, not "the band", who stated this. Second of all, he was right. :) -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "The spiralling shape will make you go insane" - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:28:13 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: Shudder to Think well, i think their other stuff is great. Hit Liquor is from "Pony Express Record", which is an excellent album(in my humble opinion). it came out in '94. i would recommend it to all(their earlier stuff is good, too). i also want to plug the following bands: Nada Surf, Hum, 311, Eugenius, and the Vaselines. i finally bought tmbgs' first record and Misc T. i really like "She's an Angel" and "...Puppet Head". now i have all Their main records.[:& please recommend bands you like to me if ya'll want--i'm always looking for new-to-me good music. "look at that blind evil Rapunzel taking care of the guy who beat her up" -Shudder to Think Chakka ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 21:54:00 -0400 Subject: Various things (I'm the new guy), but mostly TMBG (and Oasis (grrrrrr)) Hello. Before I start responding to anything, I'd like to tell you all, if you care, I'm new to the list, and I can already tell it's probably better than the damn Weezer list I was on. TMBG's been my favorite band since I can remember, back in the days before Flood (which was the point where most other's became fans, at least among fans I know). I had no idea there was a collective for They fans to inhabit, I assure you, I would've been here earlier. I should tell you about myself: My name's Mark, me is 17, my fav bands are TMBG, the Beatles (for about 6 months now), REM, Primus, My own, tentatively called Lubidinous Cows, Weezer (sort of, I joined the list mostly out of boredom), Weird Al (not a band), and The Pres. of the US (sometimes). I have no respect for the radio; the one decent station I know of I can hardly ever get in, and they played They once, and it was Unrelated Thing (likely my least fav song). So, if my stereo's on, and there's not a CD or tape playing, then I've run my TV through it. I like to write crazy lyrics when I can, but I can't compare to Them. I drum (on everything and everywhere I can), play sports, hang out, enjoy Star Wars (ID4 of the 70's) and anything labeled "comedy" (esp. anthing with Adam Sandler or Kevin Smith or Mel Brooks), flip burgers, sleep, eat, bite my nails, bother people, and play devil's advocate just to annoy persons. But I am quite opinionated, as well as long-winded. "Mark M. Iles" wrote: >The song is less of a rip off of Imagine than The Guitar is of The Lion >Sleeps Tonight. And no one here ever moans about that. That's because this list is for TMBG fans. And the "nice" fellas from Oasis are trying to BE the Beatles, complete with haircuts and glasses and whatever, never mind the music.I've never seen the person(s) who wrote the Lion Sleeps, but I doubt They resembled him (them) in the The Guitar video. When "Hootie" started out, they were an REM cover band, but look how crappy they turned out. >Just why does everyone hate them so much. OK, they're horrendously arrogant but >then so are a lot of bands. I don't like them, either. >Is it because they are a British band doing well in the US, perhaps? I have nothing against any good bands. It's just Oasis is not among them. I do like the one song "Don't Look Back" or whatever. It maybe should've been a Beatles song, it does sound like them, without a doubt. But regardless of where a band is from, if they suck, they suck. It doesn't mean thet're bad people (though in this case they happen to be), or I have any personal hatred for them. It just means I don't find their music appealing. >I reckon you Americans get a better deal. You get Oasis, we get Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, >Guns 'n' Roses, etc. Yeah, but we're forcefed that crap, maybe your friends listen to it, but I brutally maul any of my friends who would consider that "good." Moving right along... >Chris Kopenec wrote: >> >About that kind of cover thing, I heard a band called somthing like "Nine >> >Inch Richards" once, and as you could guess, it's a rip on Nine Inch Nails. >> It was a >> parody of the song about pigs. (I'm not a NIN fan either, so I can't tell >> you what it's called.) >Probably called "Down In It..The Mud That Is..." ;) Actually, it's "Marck of the Pigs," I believe. I only know because these kids I know all listen to Trent religiously, those conformist bastards. NIN is all I ever hear on their radios, it's sooo annoying. Though that guy is pretty original, I must admit, he's annoying, he's a demigod for atheists. ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Five folks for dinner Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:03:28 -0400 : I'm not sure about bigger than Jesus, but a while ago, somebody : asked me this question: If you could invite any five people, living or : dead, over for dinner, who would it be? 1. Richard Teague (Designer of the AMC Pacer) 2. George Romney (President of AMC, presidential candidate) 3. Thomas Jefferson (Do I really need to explain this one? If he were president, we wouldn't have problems, and we'd own Russia by now) 4. Jesus/God/Holy Spirit (Well, they are three in one) 5. Rush Limbaugh (To argue with Jesus and Jefferson) Let's make things interesting. ObOAT: rain...got caught in another T-storm this afternoon..got really wet. ObTMBGContent: Show in DC. Haven't decided if I want to go or not. Could someone give me a small description of the 9:30 club? Size? Atmosphere? Ticket Price? S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 23:12:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Five folks for dinner Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-Jul-96 Five folks for dinner by "BlueDawg"@visi.net > ObTMBGContent: Show in DC. Haven't decided if I want to go or not. Could > someone give me a small description of the 9:30 club? Size? Atmosphere? > Ticket Price? 9:30 club is fairly large. I guess fairly typical, although I haven't seen the inside of any others... tickets are $20, but if you call ProTix, it's an extra $3.75 per ticket and an extra $1 per order... (there really isn't a way around it) Atmosphere... um... hard to tell. What kind of atmosphere are you looking for? It's just a room with a bar and a stage, really. And the stage is small compared to those I've seen TMBG on before... (those being Fairfax Fair and Lisner Auditorium, both of which had fairly large stages) I saw Mono Puff there a month ago, and it was cool - there was no moshing, but with a crowd of under 100 people, I didn't expect that anyway. If we can organize a large enough non-moshing crowd, though, maybe we can all get spots up front without the fear of being kicked in the head... it would certainly make John and John happy... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 23:05:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: 930 The 930 club is pretty small, en mi opinion. Max capacity, what did we figure, Matt, 700? Stage in front, bar on either side of room, balcony upstairs where you can avoid the crowd below. I have to say, my experience seeing TMBG at the 930 club in January was less than wonderful. The crowd was drunken and sort of rowdy, to put it mildly. I had to stand behind some large men just to enjoy the show. I have been told that standing DIRECTLY in front of the stage is a less dangerous place to be. So, I wonder, as many of you probably are, why am I going back? Even though I swore to myself that fateful night that I would never, ever go back there? Because it's TMBG, dammit!! I must go!! I risk my life to see them guys. So, go, everybody. We shall overcome. I want to meet more listers! That will make it better. But, be warned, it will be chaotic and we may have to practice our defensive maneuvers before the show starts. Okay, I guess it's not really that bad. But it's pretty bad. -----Nola ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:39:01 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: sorry about good times, i guess Never mind. Apparently the Good Times Virus is a hoax. Or, at least, that's what everyone keeps telling me. But, I wonder, is that PKZIP300 thing for real? andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 23:28:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: Five folks for dinner On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > 9:30 club is fairly large. I guess fairly typical, although I haven't Okay, maybe I was wrong. Maybe it's not small. I still think it's small, though I don't know to what I am comparing it. I can't judge size, okay, sue me! :) > no moshing, but with a crowd of under 100 people, I didn't expect that > anyway. If we can organize a large enough non-moshing crowd, though, > maybe we can all get spots up front without the fear of being kicked in > the head... it would certainly make John and John happy... Well, as I said, there WILL be moshing. We tried to keep it calm, but it's hard. When I tried to pull down the ankles of crowd surfers, and fight off stumbling drunk idiots, it took my attention away from the show a little bit. That sucked! I also think that they did not perform as well as I have seen them perform. But it was a small stage, and they could have been distracted by the surfing twelve-year-old morons as well. (No offense to you 12 year olds in list land). But every cloud, blah blah blah, right? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:56:04 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Virus On Thu, 25 Jul 1996 KTUCKER3@aol.com wrote: > >A computer virus written by an AOL user. Hehe :) Who comes up with this > >stuff? > > You can get viruses off the internet. Not through email, unless you can program the termcap to accept inline assembly... > A friend of mine was having > problems with this one guy being able to see into his email and everything > else he did, so to scare him, he sent him some viruses. And he is on AOL. > tucker AOL _is_ a virus. (ouch! sorry 'bout that-- no flames, please!) --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: sorry about good times, i guess Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:10:46 -0400 Not sure....my Dad (the army guy) forwarded a message concerning it that he got from the Petnagon. I don't know if it is real, 'cause he forwarded me a similar one on Good Times. National Defense is now in the business of tracking computer viruses. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Government doesn't work. It can't keep our cities safe, it can't educate our children properly, and it doesn't deliver the mail on time."--Harry Browne, Libertarian Candidate 4 President ---------- : From: Andrew W Puckett : To: tmbg-digest@ussodyssey.ufp.org : Subject: sorry about good times, i guess : Date: Thursday, July 25, 1996 11:39 PM : : Never mind. Apparently the Good Times Virus is a hoax. Or, at least, : that's what everyone keeps telling me. But, I wonder, is that PKZIP300 : thing for real? : : andy PUCKett : puck@apci.net : ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: 9:30 club Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:24:01 -0400 (EDT) Well, the 9:30 club isn't small but it isn't huge either. I'd say it is a pretty fair sized place. With the balcony and all I'd say it could hold 700 easy maybe 800-900 or even higher, it's hard to say. One thing about it it is MUCH nicer than what it used to be, The Radio Music Hall. They really fixed things up when it became the new 9:30 club. It's really mainly just 1 big open space with a bar on the side, though. It depends on the crowd as far as atmosphere goes. there was some moshing and shenanigans going on at the last TMBg show which made it kinda suck, but it was TMBG after all and who wants to miss them? I'd make the trip BlueDawg!!! It isn't that big of a stage as compared to some other place but it's not tiny. I guess it's an average-sized kinda place. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: Virus Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:26:36 -0400 ---------- : From: Rick C. Petty : To: : Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: Re: Virus : Date: Thursday, July 25, 1996 11:56 PM : : On Thu, 25 Jul 1996 KTUCKER3@aol.com wrote: : : > >A computer virus written by an AOL user. Hehe :) Who comes up with this : > >stuff? : > : > You can get viruses off the internet. : : Not through email, unless you can program the termcap to accept inline : assembly... Just another random musing...can you get a virus from a uuencoded message? : : > A friend of mine was having : > problems with this one guy being able to see into his email and everything : > else he did, so to scare him, he sent him some viruses. And he is on AOL. : > tucker : : AOL _is_ a virus. (ouch! sorry 'bout that-- no flames, please!) No, AOL is not just a virus, it's a filovirus. Namely Ebola. I consider the AOL software on my system a virus as it is...and it's only an executable. Do I need to repost my gem, "Diary of an AOL User?" S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "My heart is crammed in my cranium, and it still knows how to pound."--Frank Black ------------------------------ From: SirMovie@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:54:21 -0400 Subject: Giants tix I recieved my tickets to the Aug. 16th show today!! I'm so syched to go!!! I'm bring 2 friends and my brother. All like TMBG, but they aren't as enthused as I am. I was surprised at the price, $20 for the tickets, plus the service charge and all, but it's worth every penny!! So if anyone else is going let me know and we'll see each other there. -Mister A ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:40:03 -0500 (EST) Sarah Kunz writes: > > hey, don't forget that john used to do that whole ego trip too(except for > the fact that he was being pretty sarcastic). remember when he said the > beatles were bigger than jesus? > > When John Lennon said that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, it was not as part of an "ego trip." He was merely making an (accurate) observation concerning religion and the priorities of British youth, an observation which was to cause controversy only when the American press misrepresented it by quoting it out of context several months later. As to whether they were *bigger* than Jesus, recall that the American press did more or less refer to John as "the fat Beatle"... m@t "'Til they stepped on my hair and they told me I was fat" (See, this really *is* TMBG content. Amazing how these things tie together, eh?) ------------------------------ From: stevie@interport.net Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 02:24:06 -0400 (EDT) Subject: the next Beatles Personally, I dislike Oasis because I find them B-O-R-I-N-G! But what no one is mentioning is that "the next Beatles" title is the kiss of death. The Knack were "the next Beatles", if you remember. stevie. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 02:56:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: *sob* I wanna go to the August 16th show.....I can't wait any longer! How do you think my parents will take it if I tell them I'm driving 14 hours from Toledo to DC to see TMBG in some club....*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait till They tour thru Ohio again. Waiting impatiently, Amy :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-208 ******************************