Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-209 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 209 Saturday, 27 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Virus - My first and last words Re: *sob* Viruses Re: 930 Re: *sob* Viri / AOL Re: 930 Dc SHow------------ Re: 930 sorry for so much 930 Re: 930 9:30 Re: 9:30 Voting Jesus vs. The Beatles? Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... Jesus, Beatles, and better places for info than the TMBG list Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... Re: John L.'s spooky eyes Modern Music for Swinging Superheros Why must I be sad Hello. Myers-Briggs, Reznor Re: John L.'s spooky eyes Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 Re: 9:30 Typing Tests Myers-Briggs The Statue Got Me High... Re: Why must I be sad Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 08:05:47 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Virus - My first and last words Well here's the first and last thing I'm gonna say about viruses... You can't get them from just looking at a text file. Something somehwere along the way has to be executed. And on top of it, its pretty impossible to write a virus that affects multiple platforms (unless your using java :-) simply because the architecture of each machine is different. Thats not saying you can't get a virus through email. Someone could send you an small attachment that is an executable file and you run, then you could get one. Or they could UU encode the message and then you decode it and run it then you could get it. But your still running the program not just looking at it. But I wouldn't stop UU decoding messages because of that, its not everyday that someone sends you a UU encoded message that has an executable that contains a virus. From my experince a virus is a pretty hard thing to get. I've been around the modeming/internet community for about 10 - 11 years and I haven't run across one yet. So if I were you I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Now that is all I have to say but I may want to add more later but I won't. > > >A computer virus written by an AOL user. Hehe :) Who comes up with this > > >stuff? > > > > You can get viruses off the internet. > > Not through email, unless you can program the termcap to accept inline > assembly... > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 08:18:11 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: *sob* They'll just say you're stupid and then let you go. It used to happen with my parents all the time when we drove cross country to see them. If you think of it more than just seeing TMBG and see it as a chance to see parts of the country and convey that to your parents it makes them more reasonable. (Unless thier DC-aphobes [Fear of Washington DC]) Try it out and if it doesn't work throw a fit :) > I wanna go to the August 16th show.....I can't wait any longer! How do > you think my parents will take it if I tell them I'm driving 14 hours > from Toledo to DC to see TMBG in some club....*sigh* I guess I'll just > have to wait till They tour thru Ohio again. > Waiting impatiently, > Amy :) > ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Viruses Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:43:04 -0400 (EDT) How do you get a virus through e-mail? Well, it's simple. The only one I know of is an e-mail virus which happens when you use Microsoft exchange, or some of the new version of Eudora that start Microsoft Word for the editor. You see, Word has macros that travel with the file. These macros can do "bad things". So, you get e-mail, load it in your editor, and viola, you have a virus. Those of us who don't use Microsoft products, or for that matter programmable editors don't have to worry about such things. Having said that the 'Good Times' virus is a hoax, the one that affects Word has another name I can't remember. I now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:45:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: 930 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-Jul-96 930 by Groove Child@tiger.towso >I had to stand behind some large men just to enjoy the show. I have been >told that standing DIRECTLY in front of the stage is a less dangerous >place to be. Well, then... there are about 15 of us or something, right? (plus whoever we all bring who's not on the list) So we could take up a nice area up front. Another idea... if we could all coordinate this in such a way, we just might be able to convince them to play some stuff they wouldn't otherwise play, like Fingertips (or parts of it) by having all of us shout it all at once... it would scare them. Hmmm... anyone want to hear Nightgown of the Sullen Moon? With such an organized effort, how could they possibly ignore us? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:49:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: *sob* Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-96 *sob* by Amy@moo.onu.edu > you think my parents will take it if I tell them I'm driving 14 hours > from Toledo to DC to see TMBG in some club....*sigh* I guess I'll just > have to wait till They tour thru Ohio again. > Waiting impatiently, Don't tell them! Just go... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:52:03 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Viri / AOL >AOL _is_ a virus. (ouch! sorry 'bout that-- no flames, please!) When I installed AOL it filled up my hard drive with useless .wav files! Pkzip 3.0 virus: There's a warning/explaination of it at the pkware web site. (www.pkware.com?) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:52:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Nola Weaver Subject: Re: 930 I want to hear Nightgown of the Sullen Moon! I shout that at EVERY show, but I am usually the only one, so they never ever sing it. Let's do it, Lawrence! I think you are right about a large group of us being able to get a good spot. I can't wait till the 16th! --Nola ------------------------------ From: severe00@counsel.com Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 09:21:07 -0700 Subject: Dc SHow------------ Hey all you fellow listers, guess what? I'm going to be at the DC show, so save room for me in the non-moshing pit, ok I hit my head, now I'm left handed ----------DaN----------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:20:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: 930 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-96 Re: 930 by Nola Weaver@tiger.towson > I want to hear Nightgown of the Sullen Moon! I shout that at EVERY show, > but I am usually the only one, so they never ever sing it. Let's do it, > Lawrence! I think you are right about a large group of us being able to > get a good spot. I can't wait till the 16th! --Nola I think they actually did play it once - as an encore, no less. If the entire group of people likes it enough (or some song, whatever it is - I'd like to hear Fingertips, myself), it can work... Why don't we all try to arrive and wait outside at 8:45 so we can get in right at 9 and go up front. Actually, I'll call the 9:30 club and find out what time the crowd starts lining up to get in and what time the parking lot fills up...and then I'll post. Does anyone remember the timing of those events from the January concert? (also remember that the parking lot was most likely smaller due to piles of snow) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:13:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Nola Weaver Subject: sorry for so much 930 I am very sorry to bother the other listers not going to the show on the 16th, but I want to make a list of listies who are going to the show. Other people please let me know. I am renewing my self-imposed role from the Etown show of being responsible for everyone getting together. So, without any further adieu, me (Groove Child) Matt James Fransburgh Sarah Rickter (member in spirit) Lawrence Solomon Paul Sebold John Murray (you're going, aren't you John?) Mister A Joe Kopera various friends... I hope I have not missed anyone. I am glad we can have another groupie reunion. I wish everyone on the list could go. Mike and Alex, how about another ten hour trip? Nola ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 09:35:12 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: 930 I thought that they didn't do that. I was always under the impression that they stuck to thier play list. I think that even if they wanted to play something like Nightgown of the Sullen Moon they don't know how or if they did know the band wouldn't know. I think this is sounding all wrong but if you ever seen any of thier shows where they said that they forget how to play thier songs then you would know what im talking about. Or maybe not. Also does any one know if they will be on HFS again on the 16th before they get lost going to the 9:30 club? And as for the concert, I think the doors open at 9:30 and they go on at 2 or 3 in the morning. > > I want to hear Nightgown of the Sullen Moon! I shout that at EVERY show, > > but I am usually the only one, so they never ever sing it. Let's do it, > > Lawrence! I think you are right about a large group of us being able to > > get a good spot. I can't wait till the 16th! --Nola > > I think they actually did play it once - as an encore, no less. If the > entire group of people likes it enough (or some song, whatever it is - > I'd like to hear Fingertips, myself), it can work... > > Why don't we all try to arrive and wait outside at 8:45 so we can get in > right at 9 and go up front. Actually, I'll call the 9:30 club and find > out what time the crowd starts lining up to get in and what time the > parking lot fills up...and then I'll post. Does anyone remember the > timing of those events from the January concert? (also remember that > the parking lot was most likely smaller due to piles of snow) > ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: 9:30 Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:11:07 -0400 (EDT) I am going to try and go to the 9:30 club show. I'll be talking with some of the people up there so there's a chance I could get a song or two stuck in the play list, maybe even dedicated to the mailing list fans. Of course, this would require deciding on a song or two. I don't have time now to run a vote, so if someone else would like to (not on the list! please!) and give me the results... -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 12:11:56 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: 9:30 Voting I'll do it, I'm usually online here and have nothing else better to do. If you do decide on my I ask the people only email me with thier one pick. Right now this will have to be done through mail. But my choice is Become a Robot > I am going to try and go to the 9:30 club show. > I'll be talking with some of the people up there so there's > a chance I could get a song or two stuck in the play list, > maybe even dedicated to the mailing list fans. Of course, > this would require deciding on a song or two. I don't have > time now to run a vote, so if someone else would like to > (not on the list! please!) and give me the results... > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 13:16 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Jesus vs. The Beatles? Matthew Coon wrote: >Sarah Kunz writes: >> >> hey, don't forget that john used to do that whole ego trip too(except for >> the fact that he was being pretty sarcastic). remember when he said the >> beatles were bigger than jesus? >> > > >When John Lennon said that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, it was >not as part of an "ego trip." He was merely making an (accurate) observation >concerning religion and the priorities of British youth, an observation which >was to cause controversy only when the American press misrepresented it by >quoting it out of context several months later. ok, i'm probably showing my ignorance here, but i was always under the impression that when john made the infamous "We're bigger than Jesus" quip (henceforth referred to as BTJ), he meant that the Beatles were popular in so much of the world, including so many predominantly non-Christian areas, that they were effectively BTJ. like, they had more fans than he did. am i way off here, or will we just never know for sure? -j.l. no TMBG quote here, Pink Floyd's "Run" is playing in my lab... ------------------------------ Subject: Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 12:57:41 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew Coon: >As to whether they were *bigger* than Jesus, recall that the American press >did more or less refer to John as "the fat Beatle"... [...] > "'Til they stepped on my hair and they told me I was fat" He's got no one to blame but his fat self. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Jesus, Beatles, and better places for info than the TMBG list Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:16:10 -0500 (EST) > > ok, i'm probably showing my ignorance here, but i was always under the > impression that when john made the infamous "We're bigger than Jesus" quip > (henceforth referred to as BTJ), he meant that the Beatles were popular > in so much of the world, including so many predominantly non-Christian > areas, that they were effectively BTJ. like, they had more fans than he > did. am i way off here, or will we just never know for sure? > Again, he said that they were more *popular*, not that it matters much. (It's not an important distinction, I just like factual correctness:-) Speaking as much as anything from his growing dissatisfaction with organized religion and his troubled fascination with the idolatry and worship that was Beatlemania, John was referring mainly to Western, "Christianized" areas such as the US and the UK, although the statement was rather general and not very well thought-out. (He was basically just "spouting off," but it was that kind of interview, really...) Since this is rapidly diverging from TMBG content, and since this is not the first time this discussion has come up in the last few decades (believe it or not), I suggest that anyone wishing to pursue this topic further do it through a little private scholarship. A couple of excellent places to start are a book entitled "The Lennon Companion" (the author escapes me, but the interview in question is reprinted therein in its entirety and allows one an excellent chance to contextualize the "BTJ" comment in terms of the overall tone of the interview) and the rec.music.beatles homepage, which has some brief analytical discussion of the comment. m@t "Kiss me, son of God" ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: oasis, oasis, oasis... Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:19:16 -0500 (EST) Chris Bongaarts writes:> > In the immortal words of Matthew Coon: > > "'Til they stepped on my hair and they told me I was fat" > > He's got no one to blame but his fat self. > Well, I blame you. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 16:37:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: Re: John L.'s spooky eyes I've also noticed the John L. eye phenomena. I've been to 2 shows, and while I was so squished the first time I could barely see John's accordian, let alone his eyes, the second time it seemed like everytime I was looking up at the stage, there he was staring back at me. Unnerved me quite a bit. Not enough that I actually stopped dancing, but hey. :) Maybe it's just he makes so much eye contact with the audience it seems like he's looking at you, when in reality he's merely looking at the audience in general? Pity. I rather like the idea of John L. looking right at me. *drool* :) Beth <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 17:24:07 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: Modern Music for Swinging Superheros My copy of the SG cd finally came in today In just 1 week and one day from mailing the check (!) And the return address is on this big Space Ghost Coast to Coast sticker and Space Ghost himself writes in hello Your state here (or at least mine said "Hello, Alabama!") for those curious the track listing (who sings in Parenthesis) ============================================================ 1) Smells like Cartoon Planet (SG) 2) I Love you, Baby (Brak) 3) Zingor (Zorak) 4) Hero in His Own Mind #1 (SG) 5) Scat Sandwich (all) 6) Don't Touch Me (Brak) 7) It's not Easy Being Evil (Zorak) 8) Put Your Sox on Mama (Bonus Track - Brak) 9) Everybody Wants 2 B Space Ghost (SG) 10) Hero in His own Mind #2 (SG doing Elvis) 11) Baloney Sandwich (Brak) 12) Minkey Boodle (all) 13) Highway 40 Revisited (Brak) 14) Highway 40 Unplugged (Bonus Track - Brak) 15) I love you, Baby Karaoke 16) Zingor Karaoke 17) Mashed Potatoes I reccommend it highly - anyone who appreciates They Might Be Giants and Space Ghost should buy this cd instantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pez =================================================================== "Someone left the cake out in the rain... OH NO AND i WUZ GONNA EAT THAT CAKE" - Brak http://home.earthlink.net/~millercv ================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:10:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Jeffrey B Scanlon Subject: Why must I be sad Has anyone on this list made a connection between "Why Must I Be Sad" and Alice Cooper? One of Alice Cooper's songs is entitled "Welcome to my Nightmare" (if I recall correctly; I'm no fan of Cooper (yet) but saw that that was one of his songs) and "Welcome to my Nightmare" is how that ending spoken part goes in WMIBS. Then there's the "I understand the words that Alice said" .. more than coincidence? What's the significane of all this, also? I haven't yet seen this mentioned anywhere.. thought I'd bring it up. I'm new to the list btw, but been lurking for a week or two :) I'll be at the 9:30 club on Aug 16 .. going to be a great show! ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:31:02 -0400 Subject: Hello. Sorry about the last post, I did not realize its size. Down to business: a friend of mine (natalie ruth montoya, from dothan alabama) is looking for someone she met on the TMBG list about two years back. His name was Manny (emanuel) Donio, and he was attending Florida State University. Natalie has been trying to get in touch with Manny for some time, but after leaving for summer vacation last year, he disappeared. If he's reading this, or if anyone knows of the whereabouts of the amaizing disappearing Manny Donio, will they please email Natalie at: QUEENGNAT@AOL.COM Thanks - Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:37:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Myers-Briggs, Reznor >::grin:: I'm NOT crazy...(or at least in this area), someone else HAS heard >of Myers-Briggs! I have to quite agree w/ you on what they seem to be, and >I'd be so bold as to add that Linnell seems like a "T" as opposed to a >"F"(thinking vs. feeling). Do you agree? I can't tell about Flans. And >amen all the way to Linnell being aesthetically pleasing.(even if he IS an >alien :) Obviously you weren't here for the huge "What type are you?" thread a few months ago. (And no, please don't start that again.) >Actually, it's "Marck of the Pigs," I believe. I only know because these kids >I know all listen to Trent religiously, those conformist bastards. NIN is all >I ever hear on their radios, it's sooo annoying. Though that guy is pretty >original, I must admit, he's annoying, he's a demigod for atheists. Trent Reznor *is* talented, whatever you say about his music. (I, personally, don't care for most of it, although there are some semi-ambiant pre-NIN instrumentals on Downward Spiral that piqued my interest) He's also an XTC fan, which is always a good thing. :) Where you get this "demigod for atheists" stuff I have no idea. I have never, ever heard an atheist mention a thing about Trent. Just because he's in the "God Sucks" bandwagon doesn't make him a "demigod". /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 00:08:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Re: John L.'s spooky eyes On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Beth Connell wrote: > Pity. I rather like the idea of John L. looking right at me. *drool* :) > Beth I agree. *drool along with you* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 00:12:40 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: evrybody must have rocks thrown at them (and the 9:30 Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >And an Unrelated Thing: Does anyone who was at the Wolf Trap show in '94 >remember if they played Particle Man? I was listening to a tape of it >and was surprised that it didn't have that on it, and was just wondering >if maybe it didn't get on there or something... (it would be very odd >for them not to play it) Nope..they sure didn't. And I was pretty disappointed at the time because I had recently picked up Flood. The show was so great I couldn't complain though. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 00:12:50 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: 9:30 frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) wrote: >>out there is passing through South Carolina to get there and wouldn't >>mind picking me up.. I'd love to go.. I've never gotten to see them >>live, and would like to before I leave the country at the end of August. >> >And while you're in SC, swing by Charleston to pick me up ;) And why not stop by the lovely Raleigh, NC to pick me up too? -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Typing Tests Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 00:17:42 -0400 If you like the myers-briggs, then maybe you'll like the political self-governor test. It's about twenty questions, and is a more realistic representation of political beliefs. The URL is: http://www.self-gov.org ObContent: Flame war breaking out on a.m.tmbg. If you want to take a look or add, pop over. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Michael Jackson in Disneyland. Don't have to share it with nobody else. Lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand, and lead me through the world of self."--Warren Zevon, Splendid Isolation ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Myers-Briggs Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 00:35:29 -0400 Took it again for the hell of it. ISTJ...again. The only thing that didn't move, though was my "I", which has been 10/10 the last three times I've taken it. I'm very, very shy in real life. Why am I in radio? No one can see you in a studio. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Michael Jackson in Disneyland. Don't have to share it with nobody else. Lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand, and lead me through the world of self."--Warren Zevon, Splendid Isolation ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:58:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: The Statue Got Me High... Does anyone know the accordion part to "And what they found... high" in The Statue Got Me High? The best I could figure out was that it just progresses as C D G D repeatedly... but that doesn't sound right and it's too quiet on the recording for me to figure out. Also the guitar part there has me stumped - I know the tab is available for it but that doesn't help me since I can't read it... (I'm trying to make a MIDI of this and I want it to be right) Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 00:01:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Why must I be sad Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-96 Why must I be sad by Jeffrey B Scanlon@osf1.g > ending spoken part goes in WMIBS. Then there's the "I understand the > words that Alice said" .. more than coincidence? What's the significane > of all this, also? I haven't yet seen this mentioned anywhere.. thought > I'd bring it up. Allow me to quote them from the 6/18/94 Wolf Trap show, just before they played it: "This song is about Alice Cooper and it's called Why Must I Be Sad?" So there you go... I think pretty much every line is a reference of some kind... All the stuff at the end certainly is... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-209 ******************************