Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 21 Sunday, 21 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: the Plaguerat's Review...Toads Place.. Re: Terrible night in New Haven. (fwd) "Whirlpool" is back on BDAS toads, DC Zima just a few things. Re: just a few things. Toad's show The End of the Tour Shows, as of late Re: Terrible Night Re: Terrible night in New Haven. (fwd) (none) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 03:10:41 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: the Plaguerat's Review...Toads Place.. > well im back and i was a great show. You know, I love They Might Be Giants, but if that was your idea of a good show, then you've really got to get to more shows. -Slacker Ng. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 02:18:05 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Terrible night in New Haven. (fwd) ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 02:14:45 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas To: Neil Subject: Re: Terrible night in New Haven. On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Neil wrote: > Toad's is, IMO, the worst place I've seen them. > > > -Well, I guess I'm just bitter. I'm used to ska shows in Poughkeepsie > > where noone ever shows up, so you don't have to deal with idiot wanna-be > > slammers. Well, hopefully the Rochester show will be better. > > Perfect Thyroid? ;) Actually, despite the fact that Perfect Thyroid plays around here constantly, I've only seen them once. They're not exactly bad... just mediocre (of course, their cover of "Lorraine" is fantastic). I was referring to Lettuce Boy, the coolest band this side of some river... somwhere... I'm also making broad generalizations. Idiots can show up anywhere. The story of Lettuce Boy at the Sportland is a horror tale to put all others to shame, but it's probably more appropriate for alt.music.ska. -Oh yeah, this Toad's show was pretty bad, but the worst TMBG show I've witnessed was last March at the Horizontal Boogie Bar in Rochester. I missed Ivy (the opening band, their album is very good) because I had to wait for friends of a friend to make fake tickets at Kinko's. We didn't actually arrive too late to see them, but we were standing in line outside the entire time they played. During the Giants' set, I couldn't shake these two drunk guys flailing around, one of which put his face two inches from mine and proceeded to yell as loud as he could. -On the other hand, does anyone remember the show John and John played in July '93 in Woodstock (well, technically Bearsville)? It was a small club that was NOT packed to capacity. John and John (and Brian Doherty and Graham Maby) played mostly (at the time) new songs (a lot of John Henry a full year and a half before it was released). That was a great show because everyone was dancing and really enjoying the show, and NOONE WAS STOMPING ON ANYONE ELSE'S HEAD!!! Linell was also playing the accordian the whole time, which he doesn't seem to do so much anymore. I miss Kurt Hoffman. -Well, that's it for now. Tune in next time for more bitterness, anger, and complaining. Skank on! -Cuper. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 10:38:01 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: "Whirlpool" is back on BDAS Ben or Been here, for Ben's Dial-A-Song, sporting a marine haircut, for I've a small role in _A Few Good Men_ at Otterbein College Because of popular demand, and rave reviews for Ben's Dial-A-Song, Ben or Been will rerun the Meat Puppets' version of "Whirlpool," fully loaded by Saturday afternoon. This song is hornless, and includes an extra lyrical stanza that TMBG does not cover. The TMBG version, do note, has the singer (whom I really cannot distinguish--I think it's Linnell) has the singer saying "whirlpool, whirlpooooool" and the Meat Puppets' version lacks any mentioning of the line. As for the album the Meat Puppets' version is on, it took me quite a long time to like it, but has some fun songs like "Sam" and "Six Gallon Pie." Keep calling Ben's Dial-A-Song: If you like quirky music, You won't be let down. (tm) (614) 823-2583 Mine's actual size, Ben or Been (Hugh Grant look-alike, or at least that's what my prostitute said last night) Find an Alfred Korzybski book and read it! ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: toads, DC Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:25:46 -0500 (EST) Well Plagerat's review of songs played in Ct sounds just like the DC set, but I don't remember hearing any new song??! Are you sure they played a new one? I doubt they would have played it there and not the day before in DC? You were right about wall to wall crowds, it was just swaying back and forth and you either went with the motion or got trampled. Fun stuff! Who's Opus? Isn't he a penguin? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Zima Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:27:00 -0500 (EST) > > Hey freaks, > Does anyone know what song TMBG put on the Zima promotional CD?( notice I'm > using a "?" Rabid Child. And by the by, that was AOLame that screwed up the > end of my letter.) Also, how often are the newsletters supposed to come? > Lastly, if there are any Giant-heads in Charleston, SC out there E-mail me so > we can chill. > laytro, > Beezus(a guy) If memory serves correctly, End of the tour was on the Zima album, nothing new 8-( The newsletter rarely comes out maybe twice a year? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:31:00 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: just a few things. > -However, I am completely sick of all the alterna-schmucks who find it > necessary to push and shove and "pass the dude" and basically make life > miserable for anyone who would rather listen to the songs than injure > others. My friend was actually struck a blow to her face. that is completely uncalled for at any tmbg concert. i also remember when the worst bumping you ever did to someone, would be to accidentally lose your ballance when you were jumping and you had to use someone's shoulder to stabilize yourself and you would say sorry. all this crowd surfing crap is not what a TMBG concert is about, its about having a good time with nice people and it used to be unheard of to push and shove at a TMBG concert. this is my fear that it won't be like the good old days that used to be, but in the immortal words of TMBG: "the good old days will never say goodbye it you keep this in your mind, you need some lo-lo-loving arms..." words to live by. > = What kinda car would they drive other than a Mustang? easy question, J & J also drive a LINCOLN continental. how do i know? i saw them wave to me and my friend when we were driving to one of their shows ;) may the force and nice concert goers be with us all daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:15:20 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: just a few things. > > = What kinda car would they drive other than a Mustang? > easy question, J & J also drive a LINCOLN continental. how do i know? Wow. was it the black spy car that was mentioned in that car magazine, 4-doors? Members of the band ALL drive lincoln continentals (Allroy's Revenge, hotrod lncoln). Dean Ween from ween drivees a luxury car also, a beige caddy, newly detailed...good to see TMBG know where its at. erik swedberg@falcon.ece.utexas.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 17:45:54 -0500 (EST) From: horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU Subject: Toad's show Hey- Did anybody tape the Toad's show Thursday night? If so, I'd love to trade for a copy... Oh, I was with the guy who got Opus to sign his forehead :-) I also met the Johns before the show. Despite the rumors, John L. was very friendly and didn't seem too shy. I got his autograph, and he asked, "So, are you going to that thing there?" And pointed towards Toad's. It was sooo cool. -Andy John Flansburgh for president in '96! ------------------------------ From: Beezus5084@aol.com Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 19:19:01 -0500 Subject: The End of the Tour Concerning the part of the song that goes, "I was sailing along with the people driving themselves to distraction inside me / then came a knock on the door / which was odd / and the picture abruptly changed" This sounds to me like the "knock on the door" was when the car got hit. After it was hit the picture abruptly changed from the kids having fun and the other driver just driving along like normal to a picture of horror. Call me crazy (and most people do), Beezus ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 19:50:15 -0700 Subject: Shows, as of late Now granted, the crowd surfing is a big hanker to most peoples show experiences, but there is no need to run three thousand threads about it...There are those of us who live in europe or asia on this list and have never even been to a show...I personally have been a fan for eight years or so, and I have never been to a show...if I could see John and John live, and if I did have a chance to, I would let people stand on my head for the entire show, just so I could see Them. When you attend the concerts, think not of the bad things, but think of all of the good things. John and John, the rest of them, and the music that we all love and live. This may sound like an eloquent call for love and happiness at the concerts, and in a sense it is a futile request for the pure enjoyment of the music; but it is in fact only a pathetic call for help. If anyone has any tapes of these most recent shows, or ANY SHOWS for that matter, please drop me a line, and we'll see if we can arrange a compromise. I know that this is pathetic, but with all of this talk about shows recently, I'm getting sad, and I really want to hear a new concert soon. -Rabid Child (Who is in an even more deolate location. Wyoming.) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 23:06:25 -0800 From: gregb@westworld.com (Greg Benson) Subject: Re: Terrible Night >I realized that I just don't >enjoy going to TMBG shows anymore (this was my tenth, I think). ...I am >>completely sick of all the alterna-schmucks who find it >necessary to push and shove and "pass the dude" and basically make life >miserable for anyone who would rather listen to the songs than injure >others. ....I hate sweaty >people shoving me just to get ten feet closer to the stage. ...I miss the >days >when they would stop the show to tell over-excited >frat boys to settle down. ...I'm used to ska shows in Poughkeepsie >where no one ever shows up, so you don't have to deal with idiot wanna-be >slammers. At last someone on the list describes a TMBG concert accurately! The last time I saw Them (New Years Eve, 1993) I decided it was my last TMBG concert. The "slam dancers" were nothing but idiotic and irritating. Ruins the concert, just about. And if They are touring WITHOUT HORNS now, that makes it easier to miss their shows, I think. Love the albums--play 'em loud--but who needs to be pushed around by a bunch of drunk underage assholes... On a happier note, THANK YOU to everyone who told me to go out and buy MOXY FRUVOUS and BEN FOLDS FIVE. They're both fantastic! I'm listening to Ben right now, and thinking that anyone who likes him should grab some early Todd Rundgren, like "Something/Anything." Sounds nearly identical in style and vocals. And I'd like to second the recommendation to check out SKIP--he's great, quirky, and fun. You can get info about his tapes at: PO Box 4263, Valley Village, CA 91617. p.s. The more I listen to "SenSurround" the more I love it! "25 O'clock" is still failing to grow on me, though. God knows I've tried. See ya! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 01:13:17 -0500 (EST) From: Neil Subject: Re: Terrible night in New Haven. (fwd) > -On the other hand, does anyone remember the show John and John played in > July '93 in Woodstock (well, technically Bearsville)? It was a small club > that was NOT packed to capacity. John and John (and Brian Doherty and > Graham Maby) played mostly (at the time) new songs (a lot of John Henry a > full year and a half before it was released). That was a great show because > everyone was dancing and really enjoying the show, and NOONE WAS STOMPING > ON ANYONE ELSE'S HEAD!!! Linell was also playing the accordian the whole > time, which he doesn't seem to do so much anymore. I miss Kurt Hoffman. Yes Yes Yes! THe one with Freedy Johnston opening? As a benefit, kind of, to WDST. I was _there_. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neil Kelly neilbert@neilbert.nai.net abf8@maristb.marist.edu *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says: Support your right to bare arms! ------------------------------ From: postmaster@student2.uwsp.edu Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 01:55 CST >From postmaster Sun Jan 21 01:55:00 1996 Subject: smtp mail failed Content-Type: text Content-Length: 1820 Your mail to student2.uwsp.edu!lmelv354 is undeliverable. ---------- diagnosis ---------- ---------- unsent mail ---------- From tmbg-digest Fri Jan 19 03:05:05 0500 1996 remote from tmbg.org Received: (majordom@localhost) by mail.tmbg.org (8.7.1/8.7.ufp) id DAA24192; Fri, 19 Jan 1996 03:05:05 -0500 (EST) Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 03:05:05 -0500 (EST) From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199601190805.DAA24192@mail.tmbg.org> Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 19 Friday, 19 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: ID Re: the 9:30 club... Re: cowtown What's up with the T-Shirt Tickets for Boston show ID or it? Concert question... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-18 hah Re: ID darn Re: hah Re: darn Re: darn Jessica, the song Recycled TMBG THE CONCERT WAS GREAT!!!!! RIT concert and Extra Savoir-Faire horns Re: Recycled TMBG Hi to the list -- stupid questions to come! tmbg-list Digest #2-16 tmbg-list Digest #2-16 definied within an inch of it's life Id-a quasi-comprehensive defenition Re: help!!! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-21 *****************************