Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 210 Sunday, 28 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Why must I be sad Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-208 Why Must I Be Sad? Factory Showroom Contents List--It's Official! Re: Why Must I Be Sad? Bass Parts? Re: Myers-Briggs, Reznor Re: sorry for so much 930 Fairfax fair bootleg... Hi, I'm finally back!!! I like fish bowls and toilet bowls Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 11:46:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: Why must I be sad On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Jeffrey B Scanlon wrote: > > Has anyone on this list made a connection between "Why Must I Be Sad" and > Alice Cooper? One of Alice Cooper's songs is entitled "Welcome to my > Nightmare" (if I recall correctly; I'm no fan of Cooper (yet) but saw that > that was one of his songs) and "Welcome to my Nightmare" is how that > ending spoken part goes in WMIBS. Then there's the "I understand the > words that Alice said" .. more than coincidence? What's the significane > of all this, also? I haven't yet seen this mentioned anywhere.. thought > I'd bring it up. allow me to quote from the holiday info club, the john & john answer your questions section: q: is "why must i be sad" linked to alice cooper in any way? a: "why must i be sad" is sung from the perspective of a kid who hears all of his unspoken sadness given voice in the music of alice cooper. alice says everything the kid has been wishing he could say about his alienated, frustrated, teenage world. it's another one of our speculative, non-autobiographical songs which uses the word "i" a lot. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 15:23:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Kopera Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-208 I was at the Wolf Trap Show in `94....I don't think they played Particle Man...I *KNOW* they didn't pay Ana Ng, which, needless to say, ticked my friends and I off quite a lot....But ah well. I don't think they played Particle Mang. \\\// (o-o) .-------oOO-(_)-OOo--------. | It's getting up time for | | The giant elephant shrew | `--------------------------' ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:00:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Why Must I Be Sad? >Has anyone on this list made a connection between "Why Must I Be Sad" and >Alice Cooper? One of Alice Cooper's songs is entitled "Welcome to my >Nightmare" (if I recall correctly; I'm no fan of Cooper (yet) but saw that >that was one of his songs) and "Welcome to my Nightmare" is how that >ending spoken part goes in WMIBS. Then there's the "I understand the >words that Alice said" .. more than coincidence? What's the significane >of all this, also? I haven't yet seen this mentioned anywhere.. thought >I'd bring it up. It is. All the bits at the end are either Alice songs or albums. AFAICT, the song is about a slightly obsessed Alice Cooper fan who works out the lyrics to all of Alice's songs and keeps them in a spiral notebook. (Oh, BTW, to whomever has said over and over that TMBG just read the end bit off of Alice's Greatest Hits CD, I can assure you that they did not, as I just read the tracklist of said CD about four days ago.) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:00:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Factory Showroom Contents List--It's Official! Caught the following on a.m.tmbg: >I believe I was the first one to post the new album lineup. > >As it stands, the lineup is as follows: > >S-E-X-X-Y >Until My Head Falls Off >How Can I Sing Like A Girl >Exquisite Dead Guy >Metal Detector >New York City >Your Own Worst Enemy >XTC vs. Adam Ant >Spiralling Shape >James K. Polk >Pet Name >I Can Hear You >The Bells Are Ringing > >This information comes from producer Pat Dillett. Regarding the tunes you >heard on the mini-tour, he has this to say: "We recorded every single one >of the songs you (heard). They will all likely be included on the much >vaunted Freaksicle project to be released next year. Senssurround is a new >faster version with a different middle section. It was one of the last >songs removed from this record. James K Polk is an entirely new version as >well. It is a more organic/acoustic recording featuring a singing saw in >the section that used to be la-la's." This differs, for the record, from my Unofficial list with the addition of UMHFO and MD, and the subtraction of SenSurround and Certain People I Could Name. Good news is that all the mini-tour songs will most likely appear on Freaksickle (assuming that it actually comes out this time. :) /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: Why Must I Be Sad? Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 14:24:30 -0700 Actually the track listing is from Alice's album "Billion Dollar Babies" and John F. has said so before in interviews. > It is. All the bits at the end are either Alice songs or albums. AFAICT, the > song is about a slightly obsessed Alice Cooper fan who works out the lyrics > to all of Alice's songs and keeps them in a spiral notebook. (Oh, BTW, to > whomever has said over and over that TMBG just read the end bit off of > Alice's Greatest Hits CD, I can assure you that they did not, as I just read > the tracklist of said CD about four days ago.) > /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ > | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | > | "Life is like a jigsaw. You get the straight bits, but there's something | > \------missing in the middle."--XTC, "All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late)"------/ > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:23:38 -0700 (PDT) From: Littlewood Subject: Bass Parts? Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any bass parts to songs floating around. I know that there are guitar tabs on the web site, but I'm not sure about bass parts. Also, did Linnell do all the bass on Apollo 18, no extra players are listed.. -JL- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 19:39:43 -0400 From: angstgirl Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs, Reznor >Obviously you weren't here for the huge "What type are you?" thread a few >months ago. (And no, please don't start that again.) no, don't, but if anyone has a copy of the test somewhere in their files, could you send it my way? i'd appreciate greatly. thanks. >Trent Reznor *is* talented, whatever you say about his music. and he's got such a damn cool name. trent reznor. trent reznor. i just like saying that. heather "I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock." --Hobbes ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 19:39:38 -0400 From: angstgirl Subject: Re: sorry for so much 930 >I am very sorry to bother the other listers not going to the show on the >16th, but I want to make a list of listies who are going to the show. >Other people please let me know. I am renewing my self-imposed role from >the Etown show of being responsible for everyone getting together. >So, without any further adieu, >me (Groove Child) >Matt James >Fransburgh >Sarah Rickter (member in spirit) >Lawrence Solomon >Paul Sebold >John Murray (you're going, aren't you John?) >Mister A >Joe Kopera >various friends... > >I hope I have not missed anyone. I am glad we can have another groupie >reunion. I wish everyone on the list could go. > >Mike and Alex, how about another ten hour trip? Mike and Alex, if you're going, you'd better come through Thunder Bay and get me, because I couldn't pass up a chance like that! Of course, Thunder Bay is 20 hours out of your way...never mind. heather "I bent my Wookie." --Ralph Wiggum ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 20:47:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Fairfax fair bootleg... There was someone who posted a message back in June about having taped the show at the Fairfax Fair, and I was just wondering who that was and how I can contact him... Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 21:06:23 PST Subject: Hi, I'm finally back!!! From: internette@juno.com (Jeanette C Frost) Hello, everyone!!! It's Nette, the font of useless trivia, back on the list and with a NEW e-mail address. (groovy.) So...... What have I missed? Anything interesting happen to you all when I was away? New news on J&J? Anything? ;) Anyway, I hope to hear from you all soon. Love ya lots, Nette InterNette@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 22:47:26 -0400 (EDT) From: albatross L Subject: I like fish bowls and toilet bowls I just spent the last half hour crying my dad refuses to let me go to the 930 show he happened to pass by the place the other day and is convinced a girl like me will be gunned down in an area or place like that There is no way I can get there myself because sometimes I forget my own street name. this stinks like a sweaty monkeys foot. I may resort to begging (or not) ellen ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-210 ******************************