Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-211 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 211 Monday, 29 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 NIN=Devo Decision, and when others make them for you It *is* my birthday! A great idea... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 Hey where's Michael? I expext that it doesn't matter to the missing head. Re: Hey where's Michael? Staring musicians, and a new "vs." thread, my opinions TMBG/Grateful Dead/BNL this song is driving me nuts! I don't believe this!! Re: I don't believe this!! Hard Rock Cafe and Internet Relay Chat 9:30 Club NIN Re: Staring musicians, and a new "vs." thread, my opinions Re: Five folks (groups) for dinner Re: NIN Re: Five folks (groups) for dinner Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 11:38:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Kopera Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 I see that TMBG have a song named "Exquisite Dead Guy", and I can't help but to think they're poking fun at Poppy Z. Brite's new novel, Exquisite Corpse. Would anyone care to give more info. on this song? It sounds too interesting... \\\// (o-o) .-------oOO-(_)-OOo--------. | It's getting up time for | | The giant elephant shrew | `--------------------------' ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 08:09:57 -1000 From: psss@pixi.com (Sarah Cooke) Subject: NIN=Devo In the midst of all the Nine Inch Nails parody talk, Radio Free played a remake of "Head Like A Hole" by Devo. A lot of people on this list seem to like Devo, so I just thought you'd wanna' know. TMBG Relevance- the first time I saw them on TV (Live from the House of Blues) I classified them as "the nerdy one" and "the weird one." First impressions are so important. :) Sarah Cooke "Face it, Space Cheese, you'll never be as evil as I!" "Oh, dang." ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Decision, and when others make them for you Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 14:41:59 -0400 Can't go to the 930 show. I'm pissed. Have to work. Producer for morning show is going on vacation (to DC, nonetheless), and I have to substitute. Normally I'd jump at doing the producing, but now I've got kind of mixed feelings. I also have to work on my birthday (21st). S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Michael Jackson in Disneyland. Don't have to share it with nobody else. Lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand, and lead me through the world of self."--Warren Zevon, Splendid Isolation ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:16:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: It *is* my birthday! 21 years ago today, a TMBG fan was born. Yeah! Happy b-day to me. I partied a lot. Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:35:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: A great idea... Since many of you seem to be Space Ghost fans, and I *know* you are all TMBG fans, I think we should all e-mail Space Ghost Coast to Coast and see if we can't maybe somehow get TMBG on the show. They *do* have a new album coming out, and what a great way to promote it. and even though most of the new shows are probably produced already, it would still be neat to try. So anyhow, I'll stop my ranting and say Everyone send e-mail to: sgc2c@aol.com ! Who knows, maybe it'll even work. Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 13:26:40 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 Joe Kopera wrote: >I see that TMBG have a song named "Exquisite Dead Guy", and I can't help >but to think they're poking fun at Poppy Z. Brite's new novel, Exquisite >Corpse. Would anyone care to give more info. on this song? It sounds too >interesting... "Exquisite corpse" is a literary term (translating the French %cadavre exquis%) for a kind of poem written in turns by multiple authors. The first author writes two lines, then shows only the second of them to the next author. That author writes two lines continuing the poem from that original second line, and then passes it on to the next author, who keeps the process going in the same manner, until the poem seems to be complete. %Exquisite Corpse% is also an avant-garde journal of poetry and criticism that has been in print for some years now. Much of the work that appears there, incidentally, is the sort of thing that might appeal to TMBG fans--surreal, dysfunctional, often funny. I think Ms. Brite's novel is more than likely unconnected with the TMBG song: the phrase is fairly well known, and I would bet that they came at their respective titles independently. Kasey "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 13:41:08 -0700 Maybe the TMBG song is a cover of Bauhaus' "Exquisite Corpse" ;D > "Exquisite corpse" is a literary term (translating the French %cadavre > exquis%) for a kind of poem written in turns by multiple authors. The > first author writes two lines, then shows only the second of them to the > next author. That author writes two lines continuing the poem from that > original second line, and then passes it on to the next author, who keeps > the process going in the same manner, until the poem seems to be complete. > > %Exquisite Corpse% is also an avant-garde journal of poetry and criticism > that has been in print for some years now. Much of the work that appears > there, incidentally, is the sort of thing that might appeal to TMBG > fans--surreal, dysfunctional, often funny. > > I think Ms. Brite's novel is more than likely unconnected with the TMBG > song: the phrase is fairly well known, and I would bet that they came at > their respective titles independently. > > Kasey > > "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 00:20:40 PST Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-210 From: internette@juno.com (Jeanette C Frost) >no, don't, but if anyone has a copy of the test somewhere in their >files, >could you send it my way? i'd appreciate greatly. thanks. Hello! I have the link to the test on my web page. My address is http://www.trenton.edu/~frost and if you have a good web server (Net[te]Scape is best), you can also see my really obnoxious John & John background. I can't wait for the new album!!! Boyohboyohboyohboy!!!!! Nette "John, I have a confession to make." "Yes?" "Well, you know where I'm supposed to sing 'where the world goes by like the humid air?'" "Uh-huh...." "Well, I've been singing it 'where the world goes by like the human hair'". -Stage patter at the 1995 Asbury Park show ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 19:01:30 -0400 (EDT) From: *groovechild* Subject: Hey where's Michael? I'm looking for Michael Rose the boat ashore. ARe you out there? I do not have your new email address and I wanted to write to you but I cannot. Hi hi hi hi hi! If you are out there and not having email problems as Matt said you might be, please let me know your new address. I want to write to you!!! YahhhHHHH! Calling Michael Rose! This is ground control to Michael Rose! -----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*----- these things happen to other people. they don't happen at all, in fact. -*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*-----*@8@*- ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 20:31:32 -0400 Subject: I expext that it doesn't matter to the missing head. > Where you get this "demigod for atheists" stuff I have no idea. I have never, ever heard > an atheist mention a thing about Trent. Just because he's in the "God Sucks" > bandwagon doesn't make him a "demigod". No, all my atheist friends are big NIN fans, so I meant they all look at him as some type of hero. _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- > I know the tab is available for it but that doesn't help me since I can't read it... Where can I find tabs for TMBG songs? Anybody? And to people asking about Why Must I Be Sad?, I remember hearing it was about a kid growing up listening to Alice Cooper. I read that, somewhere, I forget, but it was reliable. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 20:41:47 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mike Rose, really!" Subject: Re: Hey where's Michael? On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, *groovechild* wrote: > I'm looking for Michael Rose the boat ashore. ARe you out there? I do > not have your new email address and I wanted to write to you but I cannot. > Hi hi hi hi hi! If you are out there and not having email problems as > Matt said you might be, please let me know your new address. I want to > write to you!!! YahhhHHHH! > > Calling Michael Rose! > > This is ground control to Michael Rose! > I couldn't let this one go by without saying something since I am that exquisite dead guy, Michael Rose himself. I feel so *special*! This is a perfect time for part three of "Weird Literary Finds." I have so far quoted from books on Michael Jackson and Boy George, and now I turn to the magnificent "What Makes Men Tick" (1972) by Portia "Drink a lotta" Beers. Here goes. "Even when a woman enters the essentially masculine world of business and excels in it, the mystery surrounding the opposite sex remains. A successful career woman has been known to be awed by the uncanny wisdom of an electrician. She may consider her ability to be a mere fluke, but his is an intrinsic part of the great masculine heritage that is forever closed to her. He cannot bear a child, but she cannot fix a faulty lamp, repair the toaster she uses every morning, or comprehend the workings of the iron she presses her husband's shirts with. She has never been called upon to understand these things; she doubts whether she really could, even if they were carefully explained to her. The ability to understand how things work, and to fix them when they go wrong--all of this is part of the male mystique. Perhaps too, it is inevitable, because for a woman, any man doing a job--be it management, engineering, medicine, farming, truck driving, journalism, the law, or whatever--automatically assumes some of the mystery and power she associated with her father when she was a child." "Helping Mommy in the kitchen is just one of the ways in which a little girl learns to identify with her mother, and acquire the skills expected of a woman in her traditional role as housewife." "What is a wife? Ideally, an exciting sexual partner, an expert cook and housekeeper, a charming hostess, a patient mother, and above all a loving, devoted companion." Heh, heh. More to come. Lost in the supermarket, Mike ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 21:39:26 -0400 Subject: Staring musicians, and a new "vs." thread, my opinions Hello! Alright, I was gone for 2 weeks and am still working on catching up on all these TMBG Digests that accumulated in my box, so forgive me if this is somewhat of an old thread. I have never had the thrill of being at a TMBG show, so I wouldn't know. However, I *have* been to a Barenaked Ladies instore concert a few months back, and the subject of Linnell staring at audience members reminds me of it. Jim Creeggan (the BNL bass player that eeriely looks like a gorgeous Carrot Top) looked at me a couple times (I was in the 2nd row--woo!), and I know exactly what you guys are talking about. You kind of think you're making it up, but you realize it's happening and suddenly turn your head because you start to blush, am I right? Needless to say, Jim's been my fave since then. Linnell was my fave Giant just on the basis of looks (what can I say, IMO he's a god!) before I knew who did what, and recently I found out all my fave They songs are done by Linnell! Now I don't sound so materialistic! Lemme just say I love Flans too! And on the topic of MST3K- Joel vs. Mike: Joel all the way!!!! And one you all overlooked! TALK SOUP- Greg vs. John: John rules!!! Just my $.56 for today. Oh, and I dig Space Ghost too. And I have the Brain Candy soundtrack, and I like Cibo Matto! So ha! :P :D Oh! Someone mentioned eclairs and the DAS, another replied about strawberry donuts + DAS, but guys, nothing tops Ben and Jerry's Cappucino frozen yogurt...mmm... -sarah :) "My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy." - TMBG, A18 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 21:38:28 -0400 Subject: TMBG/Grateful Dead/BNL >>The last thing I was thinking of was the great similarity between TMBG and The Greatful Dead.<< Whoa! Too eerie! I hope this wasn't already mentioned here--- I'm on Barenaked Ladies' "Bedside Manor" which is a BNL version of this. There have been threads of people trying to compare the Dead with the BNL, and others have been bringing TMBG into it all. If you don't believe me, subscibe to it your self. TMBG and the GD are often talked about on the Manor!! Too weird!! Useless INfo: the other day I discovered my grandparents' blue lunch bag on the table, and immediately shouted out: "What's that blue thing doing here?" without realizing at first that was a TMBG quote, the one most used by me at the most inopportune times. -yet another sarah surfing the(y) Digest :) "...I'd steal all the microphones from all the masters of ceremony..." - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 96 22:17 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: this song is driving me nuts! Er, this isn't really tmbg related, but ever since we had the John Lennon/bigger than Jesus thread, I've had this song running through my head. The college station was playing it a lot this spring, and I think it might be on the Clerks soundtrack, but I never found out who did it or what it was called. The chorus goes something like this: "and there's one girl, just one girl who says I'm bigger than Jesus now and I love her I'm bigger than Jesus now up above her..." and then something about the church of the holier than thou. There was also a line that always cracked me up about how "it's never good to be understood by a girl in acid wash." Anyway, if anybody knows who did this song, I'll be eternally grateful. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 20:46:20 +0600 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: I don't believe this!! Q101 (local alternative station in Chicago) is playing TMBG....Birdhouse in your Soul (that is the right title isn't it? don't have the list in front of me). They've been playing the top 500 alternative songs of all time this weekend and it is #84, but they're replaying it because someone asked. That is so cool...I'm rather impressed and stuff. For those of you who might be interested, Violent Femmes with Blister in the Sun was #2 and Nirvana with Teen Spirit was #1. ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jul 96 23:24 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: I don't believe this!! >Q101 (local alternative station in Chicago) is playing TMBG....Birdhouse in >your Soul (that is the right title isn't it? don't have the list in front >of me). They've been playing the top 500 alternative songs of all time this >weekend and it is #84 Was "Don't Lets Start" on there? I always understood it was a fairly big hit. Might be wrong, though. Kirsten (who is sad because the only alternative station around here is gone for the summer :() -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: Hard Rock Cafe and Internet Relay Chat Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 22:42:24 -0500 Hi. I just returned from a vacation to San Antonio (sorry I couldn't stop by the IRC meeting) and I couldn't help but notice that the stained-glass picture of Buddy Holly at the Hard Rock Cafe there looks just like John Linnel. It was then that I started to wonder, "Do any of the Hard Rocks have TMBG stuff?" The waiter said he didn't know, but it wouldn't suprise him if one did. Can anyone help out on this? -Justin BTW, how did the IRC thing go? ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: 9:30 Club Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 22:45:35 -0500 WAAAAA!!!!!! I wish I still lived in Maryland! The show sounds great! -Justin By the way... SAVE THE BAY!!!!! ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 01:17:27 -0400 Subject: NIN >I only know because these kids I know all listen to Trent religiously, those >conformist bastards. NIN is all I ever hear on their radios, it's sooo annoying. >Though that guy is pretty original, I must admit, he's annoying, he's a demigod >for atheists. Excuse me.....I love NIN (not as much as TMBG of course). I went to their concert and was in the pit. I have to say that the moshing there was not cool at all!! The songs that are not played on the radio are much better than the ones that you hear all the time. tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 02:03:36 -0400 Subject: Re: Staring musicians, and a new "vs." thread, my opinions >TALK SOUP- Greg vs. John: John rules!!! I totally agree! At first I thought that no one would be as good as Greg, but I got hooked on John quickly. In fact, I'm watching TS right now! John is gone right now, and I can't deal with it! Rosanne has done the best job of guest hosting in my opinion. >However, I *have* been to a Barenaked Ladies instore concert a few months >back, and the subject of Linnell staring at audience members reminds me of it. Jim >Creeggan (the BNL bass player that eeriely looks like a gorgeous Carrot Top) >looked at me a couple times (I was in the 2nd row--woo!), and I know exactly >what you guys are talking about. I have also been to a BNL concert, but I didn't think that Jim was staring at me. But, he was at the back of the stage, so maybe that's why. I totally think that he looks like Carrot Top too! He is so cute! (Just like JL!!) :) tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 02:08:17 -0400 Subject: Re: Five folks (groups) for dinner Well, if I could have 5 folks for dinner, they mostly would be groups of people. Monty Python would HAVE to be there, along with TMBG (of course). Michael Jordan (who lives 5 minutes away from me) would have to be there because he is so hot (and of course good at bball). Let's see......who else. I think that I'd have to have Martin Luther King Jr. come. He seemed like a cool guy. Ummm.....I'll think about the last one. tucker ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 02:20:46 -0400 Subject: Re: NIN In a message dated 96-07-29 01:17:52 EDT, KTUCKER3 writes: > Excuse me.....I love NIN (not as much as TMBG of course). That's fine, people should listen to whatever they want, regardless of whatever I think of them. > I went to their concert and was in the pit. I have to say that the moshing there > was not cool at all!! Moshing is cool... when you're thirteen! I don't see the point anymore, there's better dancing to be done. > The songs that are not played on the radio are much better than the ones that you > hear all the time. I think that's true with a lot of bands, and from what I hear of NIN, it's probably true. But the fact that they are shamelessly blasted when good (better) music is unheard of is ridiculous. If there were a radio station that played TMBG even ONCE a day I think a lot more people would suddenly become They fans. Just because they hear it so often they think they like it. I had a friend who didn't like Seal or anything like him (a NIN fan, nonetheless) and yet he found himself buying it. For the next two weeks he kept asking why he bought it. (I didn't want to explain it to him.) Mark Are you ready for a REAL psychic reading? ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Five folks (groups) for dinner Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 2:33:26 18000 > > Well, if I could have 5 folks for dinner, they mostly would be groups of > people. Monty Python would HAVE to be there, along with TMBG (of course). > Michael Jordan (who lives 5 minutes away from me) would have to be there > because he is so hot (and of course good at bball). Let's see......who else. > I think that I'd have to have Martin Luther King Jr. come. He seemed like a > cool guy. Ummm.....I'll think about the last one. > tucker > Hmm... If I could have 5 folks for dinner, I'd probably have to choose people that tasted good. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-211 ******************************