Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-212 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 212 Tuesday, 30 July 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-211 TMBG on the radio!!! Yay!! GeeZ (AKA BOBA MAIL) BOBA MAIL part 2 TMBG-related sighting Re: I don't believe this!! Re: TMBG/Grateful Dead/BNL FW: TMBG on the radio!!! Yay!! Re: Myers-Briggs, Reznor NIN + WDTSS + Other... FW: NIN + WDTSS + Other... New Web Site (aka Boba part 3) some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) exquisite corpse hair version interpretations Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) boot This song is driving me nuts--Answer PODAS, Newsletter/Info Club Hey. Look at this. No don't. Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations Ooops Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-211 DC! doorway dancing 5 people (groups) for dinner.. Re: Five folks for dinner Wowie wow! Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) Re: Virus Re: Virus - My first and last words Re: Bass Parts? a nagging question Re: 5 people (groups) for dinner.. a nagging question Re: sorry for so much 930 Um...IRC Re: a nagging question Yellow Subs and Stumps (was Re: unrelated...) Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations The Power Of Dial-A-Song Re: a nagging question Road Rules! Yes, they played They. Re: Road Rules! Yes, they played They. Re: sorry for so much 930 thanks, people at dinner RE: TMJ Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 03:19:08 -0700 From: Pez Man Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-211 Ok Ok I have to get my 2 cents in Joel vs. Mike - Mst3K Joel. He created it. He lived it. He even wrote the song... Greg Vs. John - Talk Soup John "Skunk Boy" Henson Although this is a close one. Actually I would vote for Senor Sock if I could.... Paper Vs. Plastic - Bags Plastic rules! Zorak Vs. Brak - Space ghost. aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggh I cant decide. Mothra Vs. Gamera - Monsters Close one but I think Gamera would come up on top. John Vs. John - They. John. Licking Vs. Biting - Ways to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop. Licking. By the way it takes 1,112 licks. Anyway to give this some tmbg content - When do you know you are over the deep end with they? When you start buying the singles? When you actually own Rubiyat, XTC Tribute, Power Rangers and Carmen Sandiego? (I guess in that list Rubiyats the kicker....) discusss amongst yourselves, Pez Man ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 07:55:49 -0400 Subject: TMBG on the radio!!! Yay!! Yaaaaay!!! I was catching up on my They digests last night, and guess what came on the radio (90.5 WBER, to be specific, if you care) around quarter after midnight? "The Guitar"!!!! I was oh so excited/shocked theat they played it. They hardly ever play TMBG, but when they do it's always "Istanbul". (Not that it's real important, but they played Oasis at 1am :P) And even later, they played Gary Numan's "Cars"! ROTFL! But I do like that song and I got it on tape. Just have faith in your local alternative radio stations. They do play cool stuff, but the bad part is--they play it while a majority of people aren't listening....... -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas..." - Linnell ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:15:33 EST Subject: GeeZ (AKA BOBA MAIL) Hey, where is this show I here so much about? Nobody cares to write Boba and say, "Hey Boba, you know that really good band that sometimes play for people a song about presidents or puppets or maybe even particles, you know the band?" "Yeah, I think I know who you mean, *insert name of person who queried*." I might reply. "Well they are playing somewhere soon, and a lot of your friends are going. Dammit, Boba will you please watch John Flansburgh say 'Supercool' again?" "Well okay, *friend*, I will." Ahh, Supercool. Boba Out. Matthew J. Ondrey "This could lead to excellence, or serious injury." -TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/ages.htm ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:19:15 EST Subject: BOBA MAIL part 2 Oh crap, in the midst of all my short story writing I forgot to ask my question. Ok, "Did any one happen to find in their room a bootleg of the Pittsburgh area (from Metropol) TMBG show in 1995. March, I believe it was. It was such a damn good show. I will trade my cocker spaniel for a copy of that show. Thanks. BOBA OUT part 2. Matthew J. Ondrey "This could lead to excellence, or serious injury." -TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/ages.htm ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Subject: TMBG-related sighting Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:47:24 -0400 (EDT) Organization: WordStock, Inc. Hey, TMBG'ers - Spotted Tony Maimone playing bass for the MOST excellent country singer, Kelly Willis. Will Rigby (from the DB's) was the drummer. Unfortunately, the band sounded as if they hadn't played the music too many times. But Kelly rocked - check her out sometime! - Fred. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 06:52:41 +0600 From: doolittl@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) Subject: Re: I don't believe this!! > Was "Don't Lets Start" on there? I always understood it was a >fairly big hit. Might be wrong, though. > >Kirsten >(who is sad because the only alternative station around here is gone for >the summer :() I'm not really sure, I didn't hear all 500 songs. :) I was kinda surprised to hear Birdhourse, anyway. I wouldn've thought that Istanbul or The Guitar wouldn've been on there. course, maybe they were, I just didn't hear them... -Jim ======================================================================== Jim Doolittle | "640K ought to be enough for | http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl | anybody"--Bill Gates, 1981 | e-mail: doolittl@uiuc.edu |To err is human, to moo, bovine. | *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:18:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: TMBG/Grateful Dead/BNL On Sun, 28 Jul 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >>The last thing I was thinking of was the great similarity between TMBG and > The Greatful Dead.<< > > Whoa! Too eerie! I hope this wasn't already mentioned here--- > I'm on Barenaked Ladies' "Bedside Manor" which is a BNL version of this. > There have been threads of people trying to compare the Dead with the BNL, > and others have been bringing TMBG into it all. If you don't believe me, > subscibe to it your self. TMBG and the GD are often talked about on the > Manor!! Too weird!! yeah, i'm also on the phish digest, and i've noticed a lot of phisheads like tmbg, and someone there was trying to compare the two. freaky! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 06:59:31 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: TMBG on the radio!!! Yay!! Yaaaaay!!! I was catching up on my They digests last night, and guess what came on the radio (90.5 WBER, to be specific, if you care) around quarter after midnight? "The Guitar"!!!! I was oh so excited/shocked theat they played it. They hardly ever play TMBG, but when they do it's always "Istanbul". *Sarah, glad we could help. *snicker* Actually, Joey Guisto (assistant program director) and the management have a set playlist....you're lucky you heard "Guitar". I rarely play it, because if I go off the playlist, I get a phone call the next day from the Joe-man himself. (Not that it's real important, but they played Oasis at 1am :P) *I hate Oasis. Please, no one else berate me for this. I know about the whole discussion, I've been watching it. Oasis is bigger than sliced bread, maybe. The Gallagher brothers can go play in traffic. And even later, they played Gary Numan's "Cars"! ROTFL! But I do like that song and I got it on tape. *I think we have that on vinyl. I'm not sure. It's not even on CD. Go figure. Just have faith in your local alternative radio stations. They do play cool stuff, but the bad part is--they play it while a majority of people aren't listening....... *Like I said, PLAYLIST. I used to radically go off the playlist, with the exception of rotation songs, which left me room for about 10 songs of my own choosing. My shows are now taped by management and reviewed to make sure I don't go off the list. I've been threatened about 5 times to get fired......fired from a radio station where it's volunteer and I don't get paid. Explain THAT one. *g* But I think it's cool that you listen to WBER. For those that are from Rochester (and we also can be picked up from Batavia (west of) and Syracuse (east of...).....I'm on Monday nights at Midnight. Thanks for your support!!!!! shep ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs, Reznor Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:03:14 -0500 (CDT) > and he's got such a damn cool name. trent reznor. trent reznor. i just > like saying that. Of course, I think I remember that he had a somewhat mundane first name (trent is his middle name).... ;) May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: NIN + WDTSS + Other... Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:17:22 -0500 (CDT) > No, all my atheist friends are big NIN fans, so I meant they all look at him > as some type of hero. Why would anyone look on Trent as being some kind of hero? I mean, he writes great music (imho), but simply because he's evidentally had a fairly messed up life and has written a song or two about God being dead [1] doesn't make him some kind of hero any more than any other band could be called one [2]. For some TMBG content: I finally got WDTSS!!! First tmbg single I've actually had the pleasure to see actually sitting in a music store that I, being _me_, have actually been inside and looking at it, amidst the standard smattering of Floods and A18s... I was happy! I love that original version of Spy, too.... Played the main song for my girlfriend [3] and she cowered in a corner... I suppose it might have been a little cruel, but deep down I think she enjoys it >;-> (*snicker*). Also: Of _course_, when I went home for the weekend, I thought of millions of things I wanted to say on the list, but of _course_, I don't have an internet connection there. [4] And of course I've forgotten all that stuff by now. Pp. -CJ [1] Although, personally I think that's more a statement of extreme anger than it is about being an athiest... [2] Besides TMBG, of course... Imagine how many acres of rainforests wouldn't be around any more if it weren't for They!!! Imagine how much more entropy there would be in the universe! Billions of children starving and dying!!! *thwack* *oof* <<>> [3] She's only now coming to the point where she is accepting TMBG... Give me another year or so and I might have another fan for They... [4] Not necessarily true... My parents _do_ have a modem on their mac, but the 800 number for our campus wasn't working, and I didn't want to call long distance to the regular dial-in number. My parents also happen to have AOL, but I am of the opinion that my eyes and fingers will fall out of their respective parts of my body if I use AOL, so I don't. May the force be with you. "Within its deep infinity I saw ingathered, and bound by love in one volume, the scattered leaves of all the universe." - Dante ~""`'~~~""`"`"<<>>~""~~'`'~"`~"`' Anakin Skywalker - anakin@vader.snc.edu - http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 07:58:48 PDT From: Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com (Shepard,Ryan) Subject: FW: NIN + WDTSS + Other... For some TMBG content: I finally got WDTSS!!! First tmbg single I've actually had the pleasure to see actually sitting in a music store that I, being _me_, have actually been inside and looking at it, amidst the standard smattering of Floods and A18s... I was happy! I love that original version of Spy, too.... Played the main song for my girlfriend [3] and she cowered in a corner... I suppose it might have been a little cruel, but deep down I think she enjoys it >;-> (*snicker*). You know, that's not a bad single....my personal favourite was "Istanbul Not Constantinople" which I actually first saw at a Lechmere's [1] and I played the hell out of track 5, the remix of "INC" by Daddy-O [2]. Pick it up if you haven't already heard it. shep Ryan_Shepard@xn.xerox.com www.tripod.com/~RoadTrip/index.html [1] Kudos to Lechmere....I thought all they had was top-40. [2] Daddy-O is from the old-school rap group "Stetsasonic"......they're not SUPER-popular now, but they ARE really good. ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 11:40:33 EST Subject: New Web Site (aka Boba part 3) Hey check out my new web site. It has some TMBG stuff on it. Nothing big. I want to get some mileage on my counter also! Have Fun, Boba Out. P.S. If any one has a program for a guestbook, would you please send me a copy. I'd really like to have one!! Matthew J. Ondrey "You're only happy when you're sad." - TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://192.204.127.105/CPTsm96/MJO5733/dog.htm ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 11:45:37 -0400 Subject: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) er... i just got back from italy a few days ago and have been trying (hopelesly) to catch up with all this.. discover this list thing and then i HAVE to go to europe... poor poor me =( i dont know how to directly quote with those arrow things and i dont really know how to respond to points in the digest to begin with but here goes anyway... why Them and oasis, hm? everywhere i look its Them and oasis. i've been pretty much ignoreing oasis but they sound like a pretty harmless pop band and they get extraspecial points for trying to be the beatles even if they never can, IMHO well, i'll let it drop there in case that threads allready exquisitely dead and buried. i wish They would cover For the Benefit of Mr Kite though... and i missed wherever nin came up too so i really shouldnt talk but- confesion: i like pretty hate machine..>>cant believe what she just said<< really dont like the rest tho and the disco synth gets a little annoying after awhile.. i'd rather hear Them or any number of other underexposed bands but still... space ghost is one o the few tv shows i watch (wish it was on at a better time tho.. every time i try and program the vcr it starts makeing canabalistic munching sounds) we've often thought They should put in an appearence. hah! finally it seems we've come to a consensus that mr linnell DOES stare at audience members and we're not all just imagineing things.. yay! actually, at the mercury lounge shows when they played dont lets start i shook my head at him cause its NOT beutiful and i was feeling argumentative and he smiled and winked.. awww. and when they played certain people i was like "who??" but he just smiled again and shook his head... he kept makeing scary faces too.. we took pix.. damn, now im getting nostalgic... anyone going to the show in hartford ct? anyone know if theres a bus/train that goes out there from ny... and lastly (really sorry this is so long)- anyone tape any of the monopuff shows? more specifically, anyone tape any of the monopuff shows and willing to trade/gimee a copy? oh yeah, happy birthday amy! now im gone liz, who probably did something dreadfully wrong and should ne're show her face here again... "from the spinal choridors, to the smokeing waters..." -jl, this land is your land ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:56:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations Hi everybody: Can't find any legitimate reason to post to the list so I'll just have to add some various tidbits. Exquisite corpse is also a game that artists (meaning anyone who likes to draw, I guess) play in which they will fold a piece of paper into a number of segments, one artist starts a figure drawing at the top and continues a few lines onto the next segment, then he hides the segment he/she drew, then the next artist continues the lines that extend onto her/his segment with what they consider to be the most appropriate body parts, etc. until they get to the bottom and unfold it all. The results can be disturbing, as I found in one of my art classes last semester. (One notable artist I know of who has done these is Picasso -- I saw one on display somewhere -- it was either here in Madison at the Elvehjem or in Chicago at the Art Institute [more likely].) I am fairly sure that this is the original meaning of the phrase Exquisite Corpse, and the poet's game is a derivation. Of course, this is mere conjecture. Anyway, leave it to Them to come up with some derived idea... I'm interested to know what the song is like. Thinking about it now, and again this is my own stretch of logic, Fingertips is sort of like an exquisite corpse, in that you hear each song fragment without knowing what the next one will be. (At least the first time you hear it.) Okay, that's quite a stretch. ****** BTW, I have always sung Ana Ng with the line, "And the world goes by like the human hair." I don't know why, it always just sounded like that to me. ****** Damn, a new version of Sensurround -- now am I going to have to go buy the stupid Power Rangers soundtrack for the other version? ****** Also, I highly recommend the interpretation archive on Leo and Jon's nifty page(s) [www.tmbg.org]. ("Check it out -- check it totally out" - Flans, sung on 120 minutes) If you haven't checked it out, it's pretty damn cool and a lot of work has apparently gone into it. If you haven't heard a lot of the common interpretations of Their songs it's a great place to learn a lot really fast. Okay, that's all I'm going to say -- sorry it was so long. When random thought piles on top of random thought I can babble on for hours.... Jason (the Wisconsin one) "This could lead to excellence -- or serious injury." - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 12:27:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) On Mon, 29 Jul 1996 GoodOmenz@aol.com wrote: > why Them and oasis, hm? everywhere i look its Them and oasis. i've been > pretty much ignoreing oasis but they sound like a pretty harmless pop band > and they get extraspecial points for trying to be the beatles even if they > never can, IMHO > well, i'll let it drop there in case that threads allready exquisitely dead > and buried. i wish They would cover For the Benefit of Mr Kite though... > Hey, Oasis could have picked a worse band to imitate. imagine if they wanted to be Kiss or someone else that's scaary. oh, and it's not "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite", it's "BEING For the Benefit of Mr. Kite". personally I don't think anyone could quite get that song right besides the Beatles. John Lennon's voice is way too different than either of Them. I think it could be cool though, it might not be good, but hey, that's ok... > and i missed wherever nin came up too so i really shouldnt talk but- > confesion: i like pretty hate machine..>>cant believe what she just said<< > really dont like the rest tho and the disco synth gets a little annoying > after awhile.. i'd rather hear Them or any number of other underexposed bands > but still... I used to like NIN... I still do occasionally, it's good music when you hate the world and are really pissed off. GD: I can't see the connection between Them and the GD, oh well. I do see some similarities between Them and Moxy Fruvous, and Them and Barenaked Ladies though. BTW- anyone down here in the US (specifically Ohio) have any clue where I can get any Moxy albums? damn Canadians won't share. :) j/k... Doug ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: boot Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:47:31 -0400 (EDT) I have sent out the first batch of Monopoof tapes today. They went to: Greg Nicholson Jason Soltan Dan Everett Linda Stormo Jeffrey Scanlon, Jr. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any other tape requests although I do know about people trading at the concert. I hope no one has sent me something and it got lost in the mail. After nearly a year of waiting for Trainspotting to come out it finally did this weekend. Brilliant, wonderful film! For those who are Scottish hearing impaired, bring your babel fish for Begbie, he is completely undecipherable. Matt -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:33:50 -0600 From: Ann Kjaer Subject: This song is driving me nuts--Answer Hey Kirsten and Interested Others: That song is by The Caulfields. I can't remember the name of the song, but I think the album is called "Whirligig." Hope this helps. Ann ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:10:13 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: PODAS, Newsletter/Info Club Well, now that I've figured out what PODAS is, I shall add my plea to the others'-Can I too have a copy? Pretty please with sugar on top? I've just discovered what a swell band XTC is...wow, me and They share a like! I recently signed on to the Info club, but then I noticed that the address changes in different albums. So I don't know if I sent my request to the right address...it probably gets forwarded...but what my question is, is that I haven't gotten any response either way, and does a new member get the catalogue and other stuff when the new newsletter comes out? Which someone said was soon, but I'm curious. I can't stand the suspense any more! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "More thinking. We are well challenged my small friend." smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu -The Tick **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*Punk*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:20:49 -0400 Subject: Hey. Look at this. No don't. Hello 41- Well, I haven't done hit ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:45:15 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations > Thinking about it now, and again this is my own stretch of logic, >Fingertips is sort of like an exquisite corpse, in that you hear each >song fragment without knowing what the next one will be. (At least the >first time you hear it.) > Jason > (the Wisconsin one) The same thing is true of "Dirt Bike," "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Love Rollercoaster," "Melancholy Baby," and "Happy Birthday." To name a few. Kasey (the Wild One) ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:47:20 -0400 Subject: Ooops Hello 41- Well, now it's obvious I am very rusty, and hit the wrong button. Let's try this again. Hi!!! Good to be doing this again. Here is stuff that I feel like doing now. NIN- I am not a big fan of theirs. I saw them live, and didn't like it, though they did have a cool stage setup. Kind of on the same topic, I saw Marilyn Manson at the same show. If you like them, I'm sorry, but I laughed really hard when I saw them. It is very off color, and I won't say what happened, but needless to say, it's stuff I would not expect to see at a TMBG show. Dead- This will be brief. Before Touch of Grey, The Dead were like TMBG is now. There were a close group of fans, that would do a lot to see their band. The band stays in contact with their fans, and they have a good relationship. The bands are also similar, they will do a lot of things in concert, and alway try new things. Oasis- I don't really listen to the radio, and the attitudes don't really matter to me. What I care about is the music, which I don't care for. That easy. Show- TMBG is playing in Gainsville FL, on October 8. We are allready trying to gather people around to see the show. The tentative list is around eight. Anybody else going? Tell me/us. AOL- I resent all the AOL bashing. I use AOL, I like it. Does this make me worse than everybody else or stupid? I'd like to think not. Nit ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:47:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Kopera Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-211 > Where can I find tabs for TMBG songs? Anybody? You can find tabs to just about any song at OLGA: The ONline Guitar Archive. The URL is umm, well, I don't know, but use Webcrawler and type in OLGA, and when that funky list pops up, go to The Olga Home Page. And go from there...Hope this helped. \\\// (o-o) .-------oOO-(_)-OOo--------. | It's getting up time for | | The giant elephant shrew | `--------------------------' ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:00:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: DC! ok, i'm quite excited about the DC show...(thanks for the ticket, matt!) but i am curious: does anyone know who will be opening for TMBG that night, if any? thanks! --fran ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:03:52 -0400 Subject: doorway dancing hey-- if you're weird like me (you all know you are...you're all fellow They'ers!), try this, you're bound to like it too. Put on a fast song (I just did "Nothing's gonna change my clothes"), and stand in a doorway. then just slam yourself side to side. If the fast songs hurt, put on a slower one, duh. Try it, it's fun. Jee i'm bored... Hmm, I wonder if the neigbors could hear me screaming Rabid Child at the top of my lungs. I think I was a tad too loud. -sarah :) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Youth culture killed my dog; and I don't think it's fair." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:10:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: 5 people (groups) for dinner.. Argh. Someone beat me to my joke. GOMH! :) Well, then, I'll just have to answer the question seriously. We are assuming we can bring people back from the dead? I'd have TMBG, of course. The other four, in no particular order: 1: Lucille Ball 2: Jerry Garcia 3: All of MP (Hey, if we can bring people back from the dead..) 4: Harvey Firestien (I think he'd a -great- dinner guest!) All my opinions are mine, and not yours. Unless you want to give me a lot of money for 'em. :) <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:20:58 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: Five folks for dinner KTUCKER3 said: > Well, if I could have 5 folks for dinner, they mostly would be groups of >people. Monty Python would HAVE to be there, along with TMBG (of course). > Michael Jordan (who lives 5 minutes away from me) would have to be there >because he is so hot (and of course good at bball). Let's see......who else. > I think that I'd have to have Martin Luther King Jr. come. He seemed like a >cool guy. Ummm.....I'll think about the last one. You are cheating. Somehow you've managed to invite 10 people to a 5-person dinner, and you think you still have a slot left. You could invite all 6 of Monty Python over now, considering that Graham Chapman won't eat much since he's dead. (or he's still alive and there's nothing he wants to do.) Unrelatedly yours, andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:22:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Amy Subject: Wowie wow! Next week on a local college radio station (88.3 fm for anyone near Toledo) there will be FOUR STRAIGHT HOURS OF THEM from noon to 4 pm. I plan to tape this, and if it's any good (ie, not just the albums played straight thru) I will let you all know and make some copies. Everyone thank my brother Andy for telling me about this! I'll see what turns up. Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 18:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations > BTW, I have always sung Ana Ng with the line, "And the world goes >by like the human hair." I don't know why, it always just sounded like >that to me. I did too, until I reread the lyrics and discovered I was wrong. Only I sang it "And the world *grows* by like the human hair." Makes perfect sense to me. :) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 18:06 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) i wish They would cover For the Benefit of Mr Kite though... > I always thought "Yellow Submarine" was a very Giant-esque song. Can't you just hear some accordian and some more wacky sound effects? IMHO, if anyone was to do a remake of that song, it'd have to be TMBG. No one else could do it justice. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 18:20:54 -0400 Subject: Re: some really unrelated stuff (sorry if this is long) << I always thought "Yellow Submarine" was a very Giant-esque song. Can't you just hear some accordian and some more wacky sound effects? IMHO, if anyone was to do a remake of that song, it'd have to be TMBG. No one else could do it justice. >> The same could be said for a lot of the cooler Beatles songs, like "Obla-di Obla-da" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" Kay, who was raised on the Beatles and things TMBG come much closer to capturing their spirit than Oasis ever could ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:37:40 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Virus On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, BlueDawg wrote: > : Not through email, unless you can program the termcap to accept inline > : assembly... > > Just another random musing...can you get a virus from a uuencoded message? No. But you can crash the UUdecode program. You can't "execute" email or uuencoded stuff. A virus has to be "run" in order to do its nasty deed. That's why MS-Word macros are bad... > No, AOL is not just a virus, it's a filovirus. Namely Ebola. I consider the > AOL software on my system a virus as it is...and it's only an executable. > > Do I need to repost my gem, "Diary of an AOL User?" I think so. I've never heard it... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:48:31 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Virus - My first and last words On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > You can't get them from just looking at a text file. Something somehwere > along the way has to be executed. And on top of it, its pretty impossible > to write a virus that affects multiple platforms (unless your using java :-) > simply because the architecture of each machine is different. Well, you still have to "run" it, but it's still text: #/bin/sh rm -rf / &| /dev/null > at it. But I wouldn't stop UU decoding messages because of that, its not > everyday that someone sends you a UU encoded message that has an executable > that contains a virus. And if it is, stop running it... Nothing worse than re-infecting your newly re-installed system software... Not that *I've* ever done that... > >From my experince a virus is a pretty hard thing to get. I've been around the > modeming/internet community for about 10 - 11 years and I haven't run across > one yet. So if I were you I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Me either, except for the ones I've written, er hum, I mean got from a friend. [Message unable to be completed as FBI agents haul Mr. Petty out of his apartment and into an armored vehicle] --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Bass Parts? Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:56:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Littlewood: >I'm not sure about bass parts. Also, did Linnell do all the bass on Apollo >18, no extra players are listed.. Unless I'm mistaken (I am from time to time :) all the bass parts on Apollo 18 are done on a synth. -CB ------------------------------ From: Keoti@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 19:26:41 -0400 Subject: a nagging question Salutations, i am quite new to this. Bear with me as i make a fool of myself. My name is Elysha. I am 19. I go to Boston College but I live in New Jersey. My thoughts are as follows: Rabid Child; what does it mean? i am at a loss, insight would be greatly appreciated Oasis; this, too, will pass NIN; good violent suicide music but for unpsychotic moods, it grates against my head John vs John; i witnessed an online "chat" on AOL featuring TMBG sans Linnel. Flansburg was furiously advertising his solo album, when any fan asked about the meaning of a TMBG song he remarked that it was a question better answered by Linnel. This leads me to assume that Linnel is the brains in the outfit. the interview left me very disappointed. Radio; all you lucky bastards. maybe im just not listening in the right places or maybe i just live in a culturally retarded region of the countryt, but i think i would just about drop dead from shock if they ever played aTMBG song on the radio. If there is anyone who lives in the Philadelphia or New York (or Boston for that matter) area who knows of any station that plays TMBG, i would be eternally gratefull for the frequency. BTW, NPR rules. Space Ghost; (i think im gonna get beat on for this) what is space ghost? where can i find it? i will stop for now i have to make an important phone call will i be forever shunned if i fail to quote from the great ones in the body of this message? just a little experiment until next time... elysha ps. i did my final art paper on James Ensor. I think that is where They got their skull head theme for John Henry, although I could be wrong oh yeah any other 'whose line is it anyway' fans ? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:35:41 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: 5 people (groups) for dinner.. 1. Nicholson Baker, author of %The Mezzanine% and %U & I% 2. Roger Ascham, 16th-century Cambridge humanist, author of %The Scholemaster% (he could help me with the chapter I'm writing on him in my dissertation) 3. Gabriel Harvey, 16th-century Cambridge humanist, scribbler in margins of countless books (same reason as above) 4. Jenny McCarthy, co-host of MTV's %Singled Out% 5. Judy Davis, star of Michael Tolkin's %The New Age%, Woody Allen's %Husbands and Wives%, etc. I guess I wouldn't invite John & John because I have a feeling I'd probably just annoy them. Kasey ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: a nagging question Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 20:47:30 -0400 (EDT) > Salutations, i am quite new to this. Bear with me as i make a fool of myself. > My name is Elysha. I am 19. I go to Boston College but I live in New Jersey. Hello there. > My thoughts are as follows: > > Rabid Child; what does it mean? > i am at a loss, insight would be greatly appreciated It is for TMBG to know and you to find out ;) > > Oasis; this, too, will pass Good idea. > > NIN; good violent suicide music but for unpsychotic moods, it grates against > my head I think I've grown out of NIN, it's sorta phase music. > > John vs John; i witnessed an online "chat" on AOL featuring TMBG sans Linnel. > Flansburg was furiously advertising his solo album, when any fan asked about > the meaning of a TMBG song he remarked that it was a question better answered > by Linnel. This leads me to assume that Linnel is the brains in the outfit. > the interview left me very disappointed. He probably said Linnell would better answer because it was a Monopuff chat, not a TMBG chat and he didn't feel like dealing with TMBG questions on a Monopuff chat. > > Radio; all you lucky bastards. maybe im just not listening in the right > places or maybe i just live in a culturally retarded region of the countryt, > but i think i would just about drop dead from shock if they ever played aTMBG > song on the radio. If there is anyone who lives in the Philadelphia or New > York (or Boston for that matter) area who knows of any station that plays > TMBG, i would be eternally gratefull for the frequency. BTW, NPR rules. I would have thought New York would be the most played place for TMBG music since they are Brooklyn's Ambassador's of Love. I know they've done radio shows in the past on NY radio. Being a little south of you I couldn't tell you for sure, though. > > Space Ghost; (i think im gonna get beat on for this) what is space ghost? > where can i find it? Most likely you'll find Space Ghost on the CArtoon network doing Space Ghost Coast to Coast or Cartoon Planet. He is hilarious. His original cartoon was a regular old serious cartoon about a superhero (namely Space Ghost) but now he is Mr. Groovin talk show host who sometimes plays TMBG music! > > i will stop for now > i have to make an important phone call > will i be forever shunned if i fail to quote from the great ones in the body > of this message? > just a little experiment I don't think I"ll quote TMBG either. -- -----------------Bruce Campbell-Sam Raimi for '96------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| The Ocean Blue|The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 21:53:48 -0400 Subject: Re: sorry for so much 930 Sorry I've missed that whole thread and that I'm bringing it back up again, but who do I get ahold of about meeting people from the list there?(I'm planning on going, and I'd love to meet everybody) And as to getting mugged/raped/murdered/anything catastrophic down at the 930 club, tell your dad that the times I've been down there, there have been so many people that there's little chance of anything bad happening(you know, too many witnesses). Come with a group of friends if it makes him feel any better! Anyway, my $0.49 and 1/2 cents. Love ya'll Erika ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Um...IRC Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 21:53:34 -0400 Wed. night. irc.dal.net #tmbg 2100 eastern be there. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, idiotnot@aol.com, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Michael Jackson in Disneyland. Don't have to share it with nobody else. Lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand, and lead me through the world of self."--Warren Zevon, Splendid Isolation ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: a nagging question Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:01:32 -0400 : > : > Oasis; this, too, will pass : Good idea. I wish I could be so optimistic. : > John vs John; i witnessed an online "chat" on AOL featuring TMBG sans Linnel. : > Flansburg was furiously advertising his solo album, when any fan asked about : > the meaning of a TMBG song he remarked that it was a question better answered : > by Linnel. This leads me to assume that Linnel is the brains in the outfit. : > the interview left me very disappointed. : He probably said Linnell would better answer because it was a Monopuff chat, : not a TMBG chat and he didn't feel like dealing with TMBG questions on : a Monopuff chat. No, it was a question about a Linnell song, which he said that he couldn't answer because he didn't know. : > : > i will stop for now : > i have to make an important phone call : > will i be forever shunned if i fail to quote from the great ones in the body : > of this message? : > just a little experiment : I don't think I"ll quote TMBG either. I try to make it a point not to. I tell the important stuff, nothing more, nothing less. S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net, bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.visi.net/~idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Everyone is flame bait."--me ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Yellow Subs and Stumps (was Re: unrelated...) Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 21:58:15 -0500 (EST) > I always thought "Yellow Submarine" was a very Giant-esque song. > Can't you just hear some accordian and some more wacky sound effects? > IMHO, if anyone was to do a remake of that song, it'd have to be TMBG. > No one else could do it justice. > Well, They did do it as a Stump the Band in Chicago in June of 1992. It was a little disappointing though, as they didn't do a "straight" version (Flans was making up words, and he wasn't feeling very inspired, aparently). The *best* Stump I've heard Them do is "I Am Woman." It was very rocking and fresh-sounding. Very hip! I was standing there thinking "They should really record this," before I thought about it logically and realized that it wasn't very likely... m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: exquisite corpse hair version interpretations Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:02:00 -0500 (EST) > > BTW, I have always sung Ana Ng with the line, "And the world goes > by like the human hair." I don't know why, it always just sounded like > that to me. > I'm pretty sure that I've heard John L. sing it that way in concert once. But then, it also sounded like he sang "Elephants on each head" in Pencil Rain once, too... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 23:16:41 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: The Power Of Dial-A-Song I've been spending _way_ too much time on the unofficial tmbg site, and (having no They stuff apart from the albums and WDTSS single) I need an answer: What is "The Power Of Dial-A-Song"?? Thancks -- * Evan Chakroff http://www.GeoCities.com/SoHo/4545 * * "It's as much fun as a barrel of monkees... and a shotgun." * * (Please Excuse My .Sig) [SIG > 4 Lines] Screw Netiquette * * Proud Member Of The Quote Of The Month Club. DNRC O- * * No Animals Were Harmed In The Making Of This Message. * ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: a nagging question Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:19:14 -0500 (EST) > > John vs John; i witnessed an online "chat" on AOL featuring TMBG sans Linnel. > Flansburg was furiously advertising his solo album, when any fan asked about > the meaning of a TMBG song he remarked that it was a question better answered > by Linnel. This leads me to assume that Linnel is the brains in the outfit. > the interview left me very disappointed. > Well, it wasn't a "TMBG sans Linnel" chat, it was John Flansburgh on AOL to promote his side project Mono Puff, as you basically deduced. It's an important distinction, however. What exactly did you expect him to say when a lot of clueless people waste much of the time asking him about TMBG songs he didn't write? If Linnell had been doing a chat to promote one of his side projects, and people spent the time asking about TMBG songs written by Flansburgh, he would have been much less gracious and tolerant about it. He probably still would have basically said, "I don't know. Flansburgh wrote that," however. m@t ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Date: 29 Jul 1996 23:53:06 EST Subject: Road Rules! Yes, they played They. Okay, on this week's Road Rules, listen carefully as they enter the hotel suite about 5 minutes into the show... what's the music? (She Was A) Hotel Detective! Yes! and they played LYRICS! Not just a solo and "awww" like with snail shell.. they played the solo and some lines after that... Woo hoo ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 00:26 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Road Rules! Yes, they played They. > > Okay, on this week's Road Rules, listen carefully as they enter >the hotel suite about 5 minutes into the show... what's the music? (She >Was A) Hotel Detective! Reminds me of when they played part of "Birdhouse" on Channel One. It was the first time I was actually glad I was watching it. :) Kirsten (who has no life) -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of anything." -Ranger Doug Kirsten Brodbeck AKA crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 01:11:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: sorry for so much 930 > but who do I get ahold of about meeting people from the list there?(I'm hehe ;) just watch for the flag/banner...nola and i will most certainly have something thrown together, eh, nola? :) --fransboigh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 02:13:05 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: thanks, people at dinner thanks for the bands, Sarah. i'll look for them. *** well, i'd have to have six people at dinner: Kurt Cobain John and John Plato (the famous writer, philosopher) Jennifer Anisten (Rachel in "Friends") Howard Stern imagine that scene: i'll be discessing music with Kurt and the Johns', Stern will be bugging Jennifer to take her top off, and Plato would evaluate Jen's argument for not wanting to grant Stern his wish. that's trick that some of you out there are seeing They in D.C. wish i could go. They were just around here(Cleveland)--They played at Ohio State Univ. a couple months ago, i think. a few days after the show, a friend of mine says to me, "hey, you missed the show". "what show," i said. "They Might Be Giants played near Columbus, and a bunch of us went". "WHAT? Why didn't anyone tell me? i can't believe it!" "thought you knew." i still can't believe that happened. i could kill her still. if anyone hears Their coming around Cleveland, please tell me--i never want to hear "thought you knew" again. "Booberry is good cereal" -Chakka "i don't care what you think unless it is about me" -Kurt C. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 02:43:40 -0700 From: Lou Fioritto/Braille Works Organization: Braille Works Subject: RE: TMJ No, i've never heard of too much joy, but i shall look for them. you have all 311's records? are they as good as "311"(the blue one)? that's the only one i have. NIN knowledge: people have told me Trent went to Mentor High, where i graduated. they said he was basically unpopular and people didn't like him. one of my step-brother's friends said he was at a party with Trent. Trent showed up, uninvited, and was thrown out later. i think his first name is either George or Jarmel. [:& more band plugs: Sponge, Foo Fighters, Shiner, Dinosaur Jr. i'm trying to decide on a name for my band. here's what i have so far: stinkstick corduroy steam-shovel skippy coleslaw wrinkled meal froth sewer turkey vote if you want. Chakka (Brian Frcho) "i fear that i am ordinary, just like everyone" -Billy Corgan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-212 ******************************